Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1501 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9037Likes

post #45001 of 45103 Old 12-01-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodog View Post
Just starting out with my new Contour 20’s and so far I can either agree or fully back up your opinions on various aspects of comparing and contrasting the c20 to s40. Where I differ is, with the more neutral/monitor like sound (flat, revealing/too revealing, slight enhanced clarity & precision) am I finding newfound listening enjoyment out of the Contour 20’s. My one complaint.. though only like 5-8 hours of playtime in total so far is, the bass. With the plugs fully out the bass goes relatively deep but it is short lived, much more so than compared to the s40’s which seemed to have a slightly less deeper bass note but much longer and thorough extension.

With the ports fully plugged using the foam bungs, I can wholeheartly say the Potential improvements gained is immediately more apparent and noticeable on the C20’s when plugging up the ports versus the S40’s with ports plugged up. Thing is, even though the bass extension is much improved on the c20’s with the ports plugged, it still feels as though I am sacrificing a small but noticeable share of mid range clarity and upper end clarity/separation.
I've mentioned this before. In my experience, plugging ports or going sealed on any monitor usually affects much more than just the low end response. It seems you are experiencing the other negative affects that can happen by plugging the ports. I'd try my best to adjust placement of the speaker before using the port plugs, if at all possible. You didn't mention why you are using the port plugs. From what you stated, it doesn't seem like you are getting an overabundance of bass.

Quote:
Does the bass extension blossom over time like a butterfly coming out of its cocoon? Because if not then it seems ports plugged + upping the power going into the C20’s is the only way from my perspective. Any tips or help or words of comfort is welcome regarding my semi disappointed but optimistic outlook at this moment in time.
The C20 is a drier speaker. You may or may not like the drier bottom end. The bass should improve a bit once the speaker breaks in, but your personal tastes will have to decide if it will satisfy you in the long run. I'd give it some time.

What amp are you using? Brands vary when it comes to bass reproduction (quantity, speed, etc.). Most have a house sound of what they think is accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #45002 of 45103 Old 12-01-2019, 10:58 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Quote:
Which way would I get the speakers to break in faster but with the least potential risk of damage?

Rear port fully blocked, half blocked (outer ring), or fully open (no foam plug)?

I must say that i also used the plugs first, my feeling was that the bass driver would get some more pressure to speed up break in. But if it actually works..
Damage is no issue with break in.
Best maybe is to use them just as much as possible, keep them running on background mode?

Special 40s, Moon350PD, Moon 330A, Moon Neo 310LP, Thorens TD2001 AT9 ART9, Media center Jriver all linear powered, Puc Lite USB converter

Last edited by andrex99; 12-01-2019 at 12:47 PM.
post #45003 of 45103 Old 12-01-2019, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 30
What amps do you guys recommend? I like the kickass sound that can handle epic electronic music and epic classic rock and 80’s. I’m trying to find a solution (power amplifier) that will provide an abundance of power while still being able to “pause” or seemingly “slow time down in the heat of the moment” of the track that would be playing — it’s the best way I can describe what I’m looking for. At the moment I have a crap power amplifier solution and a semi crap preamplifier solution. Not looking to break the bank as me getting the contours has already destroyed all hopes with the WAF.

At the moment I just have a musical fidelity m2si integrated amp. Now the preamp section of it is rather decent to pretty good. The power amp section is complete crap. I could use the preouts and get a power amp to help fill in the void. Would something like the Schiit Vidar give me what I’m looking for if using it in stereo as a single unit via RCA’s?

Do it all or don't do it at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #45004 of 45103 Old 12-01-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 917
yodog: I had the S40 and C20 for about 6 months before I sold the S40, both are great speakers, but I had totally different take on the S40s verses the Contour 20 than Make Em Dance. Take anyones "opinion" on here as just that (mine as well), I found the Contour 20 more refined and sounded better in my "specific listening environment" in my new house and new room I built. Now that could be a different story for many of us, you try some thing and some times it works in the room you have and some times it doesn't. To me the S40 worked very well in my office, and my main listening area in my old house, when I hooked up the Contour 20's and compared them in the new place end of story for me on the S40, just not as special as I thought, but that is my ears. The good thing many of us have the opportunity to compare and you just pick one that works the best for "you"!

As far as Amps go, I am using Belles MB-200 Monobloc Amps, but I highly recommend the Belles Aria Int. Amp.. I am a big fan of Musical Fidelity and have owned many of their Int. Amps over the years, but mostly A series and KW series stuff, I have heard great things about Shiit Vidar and of course Naim stuff mates well with Dynaudio. Ironically my Belles Aria Int, even runs my C2 Platinums without any issues, and sounds much better than any of the MF gear I have had. Good luck, on finding the right combo.

https://www.hifichoicemag.com/content/belles-aria
yodog likes this.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #45005 of 45103 Old 12-01-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:

At the moment I just have a musical fidelity m2si integrated amp. Now the preamp section of it is rather decent to pretty good. The power amp section is complete crap. I could use the preouts and get a power amp to help fill in the void. Would something like the Schiit Vidar give me what I’m looking for if using it in stereo as a single unit via RCA’s?

The single Vidar seems to me a bit on the small side for C20’s, maybe as mono’s?

I use the Simaudio Moon 350p + 330a several years and i never feel any urge to change the amp section.
It’s not Simaudio’s top range, but it does everything right to me, build like a tank, excellent headphone section, xlr options, dac and phono.
Used reasonable priced.
Naim, Hegel, accuphase, T&A are also usual Dynaudio partnered but can get expensive for their seperates i think.
For amps a home demo is more easy to arrange than speakers, so trying out some different brands at your dealer might be an option.

Special 40s, Moon350PD, Moon 330A, Moon Neo 310LP, Thorens TD2001 AT9 ART9, Media center Jriver all linear powered, Puc Lite USB converter
post #45006 of 45103 Old 12-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
For amps I have always found that Dynaudio loves power and headroom. Low power amps can produce good results, but I had the best luck with lots of power on all of my Dyns; all speakers for that matter. I liked Sim Audio, Plinius, used Proceed gear was very very good. And I stuck with the Earthquake Cinenova grande 5 for the longest period of time. It is a great amp and 3 channel versions can be had fairly inexpensively. It will do 600 watts at 4 ohms.

I always preferred this amp I believe because of the power potential/headroom and it’s neutral character. I had a Bryston for over a year and while it had good power and headroom, I preferred the others above. Because of the high power route I chose I always used separate power amps over integrated amps. Just my .02 if you are looking to experiment on the cheaper end of the scale.
yodog likes this.
post #45007 of 45103 Old 12-01-2019, 08:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
What amps do you guys recommend? I like the kickass sound that can handle epic electronic music and epic classic rock and 80’️s. I’️m trying to find a solution (power amplifier) that will provide an abundance of power while still being able to “pauseâ€Â or seemingly “slow time down in the heat of the momentâ€Â of the track that would be playing — it’️s the best way I can describe what I’️m looking for. At the moment I have a crap power amplifier solution and a semi crap preamplifier solution. Not looking to break the bank as me getting the contours has already destroyed all hopes with the WAF.

At the moment I just have a musical fidelity m2si integrated amp. Now the preamp section of it is rather decent to pretty good. The power amp section is complete crap. I could use the preouts and get a power amp to help fill in the void. Would something like the Schiit Vidar give me what I’️m looking for if using it in stereo as a single unit via RCA’️s?
I’d look for an amp on the used market, much better deals to be had.

So I was between the Musical Fidelity M3i and Naim Nait 5i. To me the 5i was capable of better bass and just had an overall better flow. I did like the M3i but just not enough to pull the trigger on it vs the Naim.
I demod in my house a Simaudio i3 SE, it was good too, compared it to a Naim XS at the same time. Could easily have lived with either. Where the 5i I wanted to live with over the M3i, the Sim and Naim came down to small differences. The Sim made trumpets spity-er and sharper, but the Naim made Saxophones sound richer and more full bodied. I was happy with the Naim. Since I’ve just stayed with Naim.

I have Contour 20s and a Naim Uniti Star. It’s a complete amp & player and the best I’ve owned so far.

The Contours took me about 25-35 hours for the bass to really come around. Also placement is important - they can be a little picky. However the bass is competitive with my old Focus 260. Not quite as strong but definitely more accurate. The Contours can play deep, they do need a little juice tho to really get moving, not the most efficient.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S

Last edited by callas01; 12-01-2019 at 08:34 PM.
post #45008 of 45103 Old 12-01-2019, 08:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
What amps do you guys recommend? I like the kickass sound that can handle epic electronic music and epic classic rock and 80’s. I’m trying to find a solution (power amplifier) that will provide an abundance of power while still being able to “pause” or seemingly “slow time down in the heat of the moment” of the track that would be playing — it’s the best way I can describe what I’m looking for. At the moment I have a crap power amplifier solution and a semi crap preamplifier solution. Not looking to break the bank as me getting the contours has already destroyed all hopes with the WAF.

I personally like the Vidar sound, it's more on the neutral side though if that matters to you. A single Vidar should handle the C20's just fine (I run one on my Focus 340's and it does quite well).
Garman and yodog like this.
post #45009 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 02:05 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone, I've been out of the hi-fi world for a few years and am now looking to get back in. I was always a big Dynaudio fan and I'm pretty certain to go Dynaudio again. Being a few years away the lineup has changed substantially. I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick breakdown of the new lineup and how it relates to the old lineup, ie:

No Excite range, replaced by EMIT?
No Focus range, replaced by Evoke?
No DM range, no replacement?
Special 40 is a limited edition I assume not related to any other range (such as Focus)
Contour is just replaced by newer updated version

Cheers!

Pro-Ject 2xperience SB DC // PS Audio GCPH // PMC twotwo.5
post #45010 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 02:45 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
I’d look for an amp on the used market, much better deals to be had.

So I was between the Musical Fidelity M3i and Naim Nait 5i. To me the 5i was capable of better bass and just had an overall better flow. I did like the M3i but just not enough to pull the trigger on it vs the Naim.
I demod in my house a Simaudio i3 SE, it was good too, compared it to a Naim XS at the same time. Could easily have lived with either. Where the 5i I wanted to live with over the M3i, the Sim and Naim came down to small differences. The Sim made trumpets spity-er and sharper, but the Naim made Saxophones sound richer and more full bodied. I was happy with the Naim. Since I’ve just stayed with Naim.

I have Contour 20s and a Naim Uniti Star. It’s a complete amp & player and the best I’ve owned so far.

The Contours took me about 25-35 hours for the bass to really come around. Also placement is important - they can be a little picky. However the bass is competitive with my old Focus 260. Not quite as strong but definitely more accurate. The Contours can play deep, they do need a little juice tho to really get moving, not the most efficient.
Thank you!!! This feedback/response helps me tremendously. Thank you thank you thank you for your genuine thoughts.

I’m also debating with the idea to perhaps change the capacitors on my m2si, although I don’t have any experience in being knowledgeable of which parts I can actually change the values on and lead to better/stronger performance. I could just replace all the capacities with the same exact values but higher quality components... but would it be enough/worth it? Or will it still be futile?

How much is the Sim Audio and how much is the Naim? With these two high end companies, would it be more bang for the buck to go with an integrated amplifier or with separates? (If the separates are that much better, then that route could be the banger for the buck route).

What about Mark Levinson integrated amplifiers?

Do it all or don't do it at all.
post #45011 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 05:49 AM

Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Quote:

I’m also debating with the idea to perhaps change the capacitors on my m2si, although I don’t have any experience in being knowledgeable of which parts I can actually change the values on and lead to better/stronger performance. I could just replace all the capacities with the same exact values but higher quality components... but would it be enough/worth it? Or will it still be futile?

How much is the Sim Audio and how much is the Naim? With these two high end companies, would it be more bang for the buck to go with an integrated amplifier or with separates? (If the separates are that much better, then that route could be the banger for the buck route).

I would not bother modifying your amp.

Naim high end seperates start by 282 but
Soon you want to check out their power supllies ( hicap, 2 hicaps, hicap dr, supercap..). So it can get expensive.
A 282 pre with 250 dr is real fun though.
Think of at least 5k used without even DR upgrades?

I bought my pre + power combo ( dac and phono included) for 4k that was maybe 4 years ago.
More musicality as a integrated moon (i3.3/340).
A used simaudio i7 or 700i is their best integrated, think of 6k used.

Dont know about other brands.

Last edited by andrex99; 12-02-2019 at 06:45 AM.
post #45012 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I’️d look for an amp on the used market, much better deals to be had.

I demod in my house a Simaudio i3 SE, it was good too, compared it to a Naim XS at the same time. Could easily have lived with either. Where the 5i I wanted to live with over the M3i, the Sim and Naim came down to small differences. The Sim made trumpets spity-er and sharper, but the Naim made Saxophones sound richer and more full bodied. I was happy with the Naim. Since I’️ve just stayed with Naim.

I have Contour 20s and a Naim Uniti Star. It’️s a complete amp & player and the best I’️ve owned so far.

Thank you!!! This feedback/response helps me tremendously. Thank you thank you thank you for your genuine thoughts.

I’️m also debating with the idea to perhaps change the capacitors on my m2si, although I don’️t have any experience in being knowledgeable of which parts I can actually change the values on and lead to better/stronger performance. I could just replace all the capacities with the same exact values but higher quality components... but would it be enough/worth it? Or will it still be futile?

I don’t know anything about modifying amps to help you there. But my guess is that the amp section would need to change as well as the power transformer. Might as well find a new amp.

Both companies have amps starting at $2k, but how much do you want to spend? If on a budget look at used options. You could get nails top of the line SuperNait integrates amp for about $2k and it’ll drive C4s. For instance audiogon.com has someone selling a SN1 for $1800. eBay has some Naim separates NAC202/NAP200 for good prices. Audiovisionssf.com has a brand new XS2 integrated for $2700, which is a pretty good price for new. The current XS3 is about $3500.
Simaudio I see that both usaudiomart.com and audiogon.com has i3.3 and 340i in the $2k ranges.
Not sure where you’re located but maybe find dealers for both. At least year the difference.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
post #45013 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 09:49 AM

Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNVNation View Post
Hi Everyone, I've been out of the hi-fi world for a few years and am now looking to get back in. I was always a big Dynaudio fan and I'm pretty certain to go Dynaudio again. Being a few years away the lineup has changed substantially. I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick breakdown of the new lineup and how it relates to the old lineup, ie:

No Excite range, replaced by EMIT?

No Focus range, replaced by Evoke?

No DM range, no replacement?

Special 40 is a limited edition I assume not related to any other range (such as Focus)

Contour is just replaced by newer updated version

Cheers!

Welcome back in hifi.

From Otto:
‘’Evoke is not a direct replacement of Excite, it is more fitting to see it as a replacement for the passive Focus line that was discontinued a few years ago. Evoke sits in the middle between Emit and Contour, replacing both Excite and Focus with a line of speakers that are all clear improvements compared to Focus. Evoke employs a lot of driver technologies derived from the Contour and the new Confidence.’’

DM i’m not familiar with sorry.

Special forty is a mix of Old and new.
The drivers are related the the Confidence C1 series with some new range developments, so a link between classic Dyn and new dyn developments. The cabinet is used from classic design Focus but now with 2 very nice modern finishes birch grey and red.

Please correct or add if wrong.

New Contour is not just update from the older, but complete new design.
Consensus seems that it is technically better than S40, but preferences differ.
After that you need to go to 10k range to get better.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by andrex99; 12-03-2019 at 03:12 AM.
post #45014 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:

As long as the voltage and uf ratings are higher than stock, you can change the caps to whatever you want. However, you aren't really going to notice any difference in sound. The quality of the power supply, circuit design, and implementation means more than anything. You could add film bypass caps to any electrolytics in the signal path in the preamp section, but other than that your gains will be limited just by upgrading storage and/or filtering caps.

As already suggested, I'd look into Naim. Dynamic range and an overbuilt power supply can achieve surprising results. Naim is known for dynamics, speed, and PRAT. That's exactly what you were trying to describe.
post #45015 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2190 Post(s)
Liked: 2326
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
I personally like the Vidar sound, it's more on the neutral side though if that matters to you. A single Vidar should handle the C20's just fine (I run one on my Focus 340's and it does quite well).
Have you heard the new Aegir? $799 for true class A sounds pretty good. Could be a killer monoblock setup. Not that I am looking to replace my Hiato anytime soon but the Schiit stuff is interesting.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
post #45016 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Have you heard the new Aegir? $799 for true class A sounds pretty good. Could be a killer monoblock setup. Not that I am looking to replace my Hiato anytime soon but the Schiit stuff is interesting.
I personally have not however I was reading on another forum (he has posted here a number of pages back) of a Gentlemen that was running a pair of Aegir on his Focus 260's and he was running into the over-current issue I've run into on occasion with my center channel. Unfortunately Aegir doesn't have enough headroom for 4 ohm mono (Jason has even stated this in his thread) HOPEFULLY the BIG monoblocks that should be coming in 2021ish WILL be 4 ohm mono capable.
post #45017 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks @andrex99 very much for your very helpful overview. That helps a lot to put the new range in perspective.

There does seem to be a gap between Emit and Evoke in terms of price, I wonder if Dynaudio will ever put a new range between them.

I'd love to get in to the Contour level again (previously had S1/4) but Evoke is probably my start off point.

Thanks!

Pro-Ject 2xperience SB DC // PS Audio GCPH // PMC twotwo.5
post #45018 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks @andrex99 very much for your very helpful overview. That helps a lot to put the new range in perspective.

There does seem to be a gap between Emit and Evoke in terms of price, I wonder if Dynaudio will ever put a new range between them.

I'd love to get in to the Contour level again (previously had S1/4) but Evoke is probably my start off point.

Thanks!
Give the Evoke 20's and the Special Forty's a listen if you can. IMHO they are both great choices, just depends on what you are looking for.
post #45019 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 04:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrex99 View Post
I would not bother modifying your amp.

Naim high end seperates start by 282 but
Soon you want to check out their power supllies ( hicap, 2 hicaps, hicap dr, supercap..). So it can get expensive.
A 282 pre with 250 dr is real fun though.
Think of at least 5k used without even DR upgrades?

I bought my pre + power combo ( dac and phono included) for 4k that was maybe 4 years ago.
More musicality as a integrated moon (i3.3/340).
A used simaudio i7 or 700i is their best integrated, think of 6k used.

Dont know about other brands.
282/250 also requires a PSU (FlatCap, HiCap, or SuperCap) for the 282. I am about to sell both a recently-serviced 282 and 250DR for something north of $3K hopefully. A used HiCap will set you back another $900, $1200+ if it’s a DR. I doubt you can get into a 282/250 system for less than around $7K. If you get non-DR they are very likely due for service, if they haven’t been already.

Naim entry-level for the classic series is 202/200, and that doesn’t require an external PSU (but will be better with one), You can easily get there for $4k or so.

Clearaudio Ovation/Universal Dynavector XV-1s Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Naim Audio NDX2/XPS DR/NAC-252/SuperCap DR/NAP-300 DR/Fraim
Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum REL R-328 x 2
post #45020 of 45103 Old 12-02-2019, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1733 Post(s)
Liked: 895
Has anyone heard the Music Fidelity Nu-Vista 800 integrated, I PM’d Garman about it, because he has had a lot of their products. Just curious if anyone else has?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...Ej1bwRHHOwPFx4

Confidence centre, XD 600's,Excite 12’s,Chord,Naim,Cary Audio.
post #45021 of 45103 Old 12-03-2019, 12:42 AM

Dynaudio Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
282/250 also requires a PSU (FlatCap, HiCap, or SuperCap) for the 282. I am about to sell both a recently-serviced 282 and 250DR for something north of $3K hopefully. A used HiCap will set you back another $900, $1200+ if it’s a DR. I doubt you can get into a 282/250 system for less than around $7K. If you get non-DR they are very likely due for service, if they haven’t been already.

so.

Sorry i’m from europe living close to uk, counting euroos so it could be pricing and availability is different from us.

You’re of course absolutely right about the hicap to take in account.

Bit offtopic dynaudio but:
Questionabout the 282 service: did you notice a difference before and after service?
Or is it a more like ‘preventive’ service?
Sorry i forgot but did you upgraded to 252?
If yes Can you tell some differences?
Thanks

Last edited by andrex99; 12-03-2019 at 04:04 AM.
post #45022 of 45103 Old 12-03-2019, 02:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
There is only a $800-$1,000 MSRP gap in between similar sized speakers in each line. The EMIT's just don't offer a large floor stander.

Be prepared for disappointment if you audition the Evoke 20's. They are horrible.
post #45023 of 45103 Old 12-03-2019, 05:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Has anyone heard the Music Fidelity Nu-Vista 800 integrated, I PM’️d Garman about it, because he has had a lot of their products. Just curious if anyone else has?

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...Ej1bwRHHOwPFx4
Last MF I heard was the M6i, was definitely a step up from the M3i, bass control was better and the fuller mids. Highs felt much the same

Last edited by callas01; 12-03-2019 at 05:54 AM.
post #45024 of 45103 Old 12-03-2019, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Last MF I heard was the M6i, was definitely a step up from the M3i, bass control was better and the fuller mids. Highs felt much the same
Thanks Callas, but I am really looking for feedback on the Nu-Vista 800 only, a dealer near me has one for sale. Made in Taiwan is a little concerning to me, from a British company though...

post #45025 of 45103 Old 12-03-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrex99 View Post
Sorry i’m from europe living close to uk, counting euroos so it could be pricing and availability is different from us.

You’re of course absolutely right about the hicap to take in account.

Bit offtopic dynaudio but:
Questionabout the 282 service: did you notice a difference before and after service?
Or is it a more like ‘preventive’ service?
Sorry i forgot but did you upgraded to 252?
If yes Can you tell some differences?
Thanks
Naim recommends service on amps and PSUs every 10 years or so, and for preamps every 12-15 years, to replace capacitors, and other components that diminish in performance over time. When I had it done for the 282 (at 10 years old) I also had the same done for the HiCap2 and NAP-250-2. However I also had the HiCap and 250 upgraded to DR level. They were all serviced together at the same time. The performance of the system was much better across the board. I can't say that I can nail down specifically what the 282 service contributed.

I upgraded to a NAC-252 last week. That was quite a significant uplift in sound quality. Much lower noise floor, with a more open presentation, increased detail/clarity and a much better staging. Everything about it is better. In about a week I will also take delivery of a new NAP-300DR to upgrade my 250DR.
andrex99 likes this.

Clearaudio Ovation/Universal Dynavector XV-1s Herron Audio VTPH-2a
Naim Audio NDX2/XPS DR/NAC-252/SuperCap DR/NAP-300 DR/Fraim
Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum REL R-328 x 2
post #45026 of 45103 Old 12-03-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Thanks Callas, but I am really looking for feedback on the Nu-Vista 800 only, a dealer near me has one for sale. Made in Taiwan is a little concerning to me, from a British company though...
I sent you a PM, the A series stuff is decent, the new M series is good once you get up to the 6si, the Nu-Vista 800 and KW-500 is a step above in build quality and to some extent sound quality, but you will need to be the judge of that. Here are a few pictures of MF stuff I have had over the years, and they make some good stuff, but I thought the Belles gear was equally as good if not better sounding for less, depending on the pice. MF gear being built in Taiwan is much better than China, as at least they mostly adhere to specs and patent law violations. At one time, MF gear was used with Dynaudio's a lot and even Dynaudio had a lot of there speakers and gear matched up with each other at shows.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Musical-Fidelity-Nu-Vista-800-Integrated-Amplifier.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	2648804   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195 2.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	2648806   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00727.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	576.0 KB
ID:	2648808   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0134.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	2648810  
no quarter likes this.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/

Last edited by Garman; 12-03-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #45027 of 45103 Old 12-03-2019, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Looking to get some real world feedback on the Contour c25 center channel speaker. I can’t find any reviews online.

Is anyone on here using it? How do you like it? What other centers have you listened to for comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #45028 of 45103 Old 12-03-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was curious about that one too when I was looking. For some reason, Music Direct says it is no longer available for purchase, so might be getting updated. Have you considered the Simaudio 700i V2? I think that'd be one of the few integrateds I'd dump my Hiato for. 700i V1 pop up on agon for around $5k from time to time but the V2 supposed to be better, of course it is (lol).
andrex99 likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
post #45029 of 45103 Old 12-03-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I was curious about that one too when I was looking. For some reason, Music Direct says it is no longer available for purchase, so might be getting updated. Have you considered the Simaudio 700i V2? I think that'd be one of the few integrateds I'd dump my Hiato for. 700i V1 pop up on agon for around $5k from time to time but the V2 supposed to be better, of course it is (lol).
No I have not considered that Sim, although I do love their gear. I suppose I should say why I am asking about that particular amp. The dealer I am getting my Mscaler from has one for 9k Canadian, along with a pair of Brinkman monoblocks for 9k, and a Nagra integrated, which can also be used as a pure amp for 8K.
I was thinking of asking him about trading my XD’s on one of the three, just to see if he would, so looking for any feedback on those specific amps before I do. My local dealer told me today that he hooked up a Belles soloist 5 directly to my TT2 (which I lent him), and it sounds fantastic driving the MF5’s I am thinking about. I am heading to his place Thursday to hear it, and pick up my TT2, also, my Mscaler should arrive in 1-2 weeks I confirmed today. I also want to try the Mscaler into my XD’s before making any decisions. Go ahead Make em Dance...psychoanalyze me!
andrex99 likes this.

post #45030 of 45103 Old 12-03-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just starting out with my new Contour 20’s and so far I can either agree or fully back up your opinions on various aspects of comparing and contrasting the c20 to s40. Where I differ is, with the more neutral/monitor like sound (flat, revealing/too revealing, slight enhanced clarity & precision) am I finding newfound listening enjoyment out of the Contour 20’s. My one complaint.. though only like 5-8 hours of playtime in total so far is, the bass. With the plugs fully out the bass goes relatively deep but it is short lived, much more so than compared to the s40’s which seemed to have a slightly less deeper bass note but much longer and thorough extension.

With the ports fully plugged using the foam bungs, I can wholeheartly say the Potential improvements gained is immediately more apparent and noticeable on the C20’s when plugging up the ports versus the S40’s with ports plugged up. Thing is, even though the bass extension is much improved on the c20’s with the ports plugged, it still feels as though I am sacrificing a small but noticeable share of mid range clarity and upper end clarity/separation.

Does the bass extension blossom over time like a butterfly coming out of its cocoon? Because if not then it seems ports plugged + upping the power going into the C20’s is the only way from my perspective. Any tips or help or words of comfort is welcome regarding my semi disappointed but optimistic outlook at this moment in time.

Edit: I actually just read and caught up on this entire end part of the thread and yeah though I agree with make em dances opinions in this case, overall I would have to ultimately disagree with the rather defensive approach with the special 40’s. I mean yeah they are great but any day any time any way If you were to ask me which speaker makes me feel more special, between the s40’s and c20’s, it would be the Contour 20’s every time.

Also the craftsmanship and materials is noticeably better than the special 40’s. The s40’s craftsmanship was on par with the Dynaudio Emit 10 and 20 (I had both) and the Evoke 20 in my honest opinion had a higher level of workmanship. The s40 is an amazing speaker, especially if you get it used / open box for $2000-2300, but if Dynaudio invested an honest $300 more in pure crossover parts and cabinet bracing/anti resonance materials and design, and used metal instead of plastic on the esotar tweeter ring/housing or whatever, then and only then would I say it would start to be in the same ballpark as the contour 20 and truly resemble the words “special” and give it true meaning.
Congrats on the Contours. Which color did you go with? Have any pictures? This thread needs more pictures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page