Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1567 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10184Likes

post #46981 of 47373 Old 05-30-2020, 07:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 973
By the way, I asked the dealer yesterday if he had unboxed my old XD 600’s yet, he said “no I sold them already”. I guess someone came in wanting to go active, and scooped them up without even hearing them.
andrex99 likes this.

Nagra,Chord,Naim,Rega RP-10,Peak Consult Incognito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #46982 of 47373 Old 05-30-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
By the way, I asked the dealer yesterday if he had unboxed my old XD 600’s yet, he said “no I sold them already”. I guess someone came in wanting to go active, and scooped them up without even hearing them.
Nagra stuff is well built we use to sell it years ago beside Threshold and Musical Fidelity.. Never heard much of it because it was more of a niche product, how are you liking it, and I thought you where getting a Belles Amp? The 350?

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #46983 of 47373 Old 05-30-2020, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Love the Nagra Garman, just got the rack assembled so I am spinning some Vinyl. The Belles was set aside for me, but I no longer need it now, so I just told the local dealer that, he was ok with it...it was a 150 A reference, not the 350. I only have a Denon receiver now for home theatre with my trusty Anthem MCA 50...downsizing to one system, getting off the roller coaster of upgrades, so I can focus on buying records. One thing I have noticed though, the Nagra is kicking off a lot of heat.😩
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21CF077E-1F57-4762-9752-C68F56831EF9.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	2734634   Click image for larger version

Name:	A386C34D-4387-4449-9FD2-51C7EE96A591.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	2734638  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #46984 of 47373 Old 05-30-2020, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post
I’️m not a fan of looking at the spines of albums. A sheet of plywood is inexpensive even higher quality pieces. That said to each their own. Kind of like the gear we use. Here’️s a pic of one I’️ll be picking up once it’️s completed. Should hold 500-600.
I agree about looking at the spine of the albums, it can be the first thing to get wear and used ones are sometimes the only way to get certain ones. Even if new, if they're in plastic jackets that makes them harder to read. Nothing hits your brain with the speed of the album artwork on the front of an LP.

That one looks rough, and is the difference between making one out of birch plywood with matching edge banding and using A-B plywood. It won't hold 500-600. I have 200 in mine, and know I can get maybe to 350-400 at most.
That one was made with scraps that laying around. Supposedly it’s getting sanded down and stained. Still haven’t picked it up yet. This weekend hopefully.
post #46985 of 47373 Old 05-30-2020, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Love the Nagra Garman, just got the rack assembled so I am spinning some Vinyl. The Belles was set aside for me, but I no longer need it now, so I just told the local dealer that, he was ok with it...it was a 150 A reference, not the 350. I only have a Denon receiver now for home theatre with my trusty Anthem MCA 50...downsizing to one system, getting off the roller coaster of upgrades, so I can focus on buying records. One thing I have noticed though, the Nagra is kicking off a lot of heat.😩️
Nice
post #46986 of 47373 Old 05-30-2020, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Amazing... I have around 3k, and I thought that was a lot..
It is

1 - All The Music In The World > PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC > Dynaudio X14As
2 - All The Music In The World > > Dynaudio EMIT M10s

FS: ARCAM A29 IA
post #46987 of 47373 Old 05-31-2020, 12:27 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi, longtime Dynaudio fan although I never owned one of their speakers, mainly cause I focus on their top models that I can't afford. I discovered the brand in the 90's from their studio monitors and if I ever buy one of their speakers it will probably be an active speaker for home use. I have my current speakers (2.5 way) for ten years, at some point I'd like to replace them with a proper 3 way with larger drivers than 6.5". The Core 59 is one of the speakers I'm considering, a bargain compared to the Contour & Confidence floorstanding models and being an active is an advantage for me.

A few random thoughts:

I prefer the aesthetics in the current Confidence series from the previous, I found this photo online that showcases the difference. The curved front in the tweeter area is a work of art, congrats to the design team.

I really like the thin Confidence shape, it sets them apart from most other speakers but I wish they offered the Gray Oak color in the Confidence line, it's my favorite. I'm not one who will turn down a speaker for it's color but it would be nice to offer different colors (not for a big upcharge though) in their studio lines. It's great the white color in the LYDs costs the same as the black one. ATC & PMC are two brands that offer several color options (wood veneers) for their studio monitors.

Here's the Gray Oak color

I'm curious about the Midnight color, is it purple or blue? The Dynaudio site doesn't help much, I wish they offered high resolution photos of their speakers. I tried several other other sites online but I they are all using the same photos, haven't found one from an audio show.

Anyone knows why the Evidence line was discontinued, any Evidence owners here? Very impressive speakers, Dynaudio currently only offers the M5P in their studio line, I hope it will continue to be offered even though I realize the cost is prohibited from most people. I don't know if they have been posted before, I discovered recently a Vietnamese shop with nice videos. I don't how they record their videos but Dynaudios (and their room) sounds great through my speakers!

post #46988 of 47373 Old 05-31-2020, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry, but I do not speak Chinese, so the two videos are useless.

post #46989 of 47373 Old 05-31-2020, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindRise View Post
I have my current speakers (2.5 way) for ten years, at some point I'd like to replace them with a proper 3 way with larger drivers than 6.5". The Core 59 is one of the speakers I'm considering, a bargain compared to the Contour & Confidence floorstanding models and being an active is an advantage for me.
They are a "bargain" for a reason. The studio monitors don't get all of the newest technology, and most current drivers. Neither do the active home audio speakers.

Quote:
Anyone knows why the Evidence line was discontinued, any Evidence owners here?
The Evidence line used the same drivers that the old Confidence line used, except the Evidence line had matched drivers. So, as far as SQ is concerned, there wasn't much of a difference. The Evidence speakers had more drivers per loudspeaker. Dynaudio discontinued the Evidence line because it simply didn't make sense in the lineup anymore. They claim the new Confidence is far ahead of the previous Evidence anyway.
post #46990 of 47373 Old 05-31-2020, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Em' Dance View Post
They are a "bargain" for a reason. The studio monitors don't get all of the newest technology, and most current drivers. Neither do the active home audio speakers.

The description in the Dynaudio site says the opposite, all new drivers for the Core 59 – the flagship of their high-end professional reference monitor series. I don't know if you were talking specifically about Dynaudio or studio monitors in general but there are brands without home lines and they put all their effort in their monitors. Pretty much all the top studio monitors have the best of what each brand considers the best and 9/10 of these speakers are a bargain compared to the top HiFi models.
post #46991 of 47373 Old 05-31-2020, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2404 Post(s)
Liked: 2730
Quote:
The description in the Dynaudio site says the opposite, all new drivers for the Core 59 – the flagship of their high-end professional reference monitor series. I don't know if you were talking specifically about Dynaudio or studio monitors in general but there are brands without home lines and they put all their effort in their monitors. Pretty much all the top studio monitors have the best of what each brand considers the best and 9/10 of these speakers are a bargain compared to the top HiFi models.
This is not true. You can't make apples to apples pro and hifi line comparisons. Each are designed for a different purpose. Drivers, crossovers, cabinets are not the same.
post #46992 of 47373 Old 05-31-2020, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
A few random thoughts:

I prefer the aesthetics in the current Confidence series from the previous, I found this photo online that showcases the difference. The curved front in the tweeter area is a work of art, congrats to the design team.

I'm curious about the Midnight color, is it purple or blue? The Dynaudio site doesn't help much, I wish they offered high resolution photos of their speakers. I tried several other other sites online but I they are all using the same photos, haven't found one from an audio show.

Anyone knows why the Evidence line was discontinued, any Evidence owners here? Very impressive speakers, Dynaudio currently only offers the M5P in their studio line, I hope it will continue to be offered even though I realize the cost is prohibited from most people.
I've always liked the looks of the previous Confidence line, and always thought what is labeled as the "ugly stick" was visually pleasing.

I haven't seen the Midnight in person, but it does look to be a dark Purple in the pictures on the Dynaudio website.

They basically combined the Evidence and Confidence line with the new Confidence which is when they changed all the old Confidence and Evidence models to discontinued. The Cf50 is basically the equivalent of the old C4 and the Cf60 would be the Evidence model. I have an Evidence center and have auditioned the Temptations and Platinums, while they are better than my C4's, I don't think they are enough better to upgrade unless I was going all the way up to the Masters... There are some great deals out there on pre-owned Evidence Temptations if that's what you are looking for if you look around.
MindRise likes this.
post #46993 of 47373 Old 05-31-2020, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
I've always liked the looks of the previous Confidence line, and always thought what is labeled as the "ugly stick" was visually pleasing.

I've never been bothered by the so-called "ugly sticks" on the C2/C4 in any finish I've seen. My C2 are piano black, so I don't even notice it. They blend right in.

Clearaudio Ovation/Universal Dynavector XV-1s
Naim Audio SuperLine/NDX2/XPS DR/NAC-252/SuperCap DR/NAP-300 DR/Fraim
Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum (Piano Black) REL R-328 x 2
Naim Audio Uniti Atom, Mu-so Qb2; Dynaudio Audience 52SE (Cherry)
post #46994 of 47373 Old 05-31-2020, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got my album rack in today. I think it turned out nice. May get another to go beside. Should be all the storage I’ll ever need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	314CA129-8D72-48E6-ACAA-588E760F9B86_1590964990565.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	2735438   Click image for larger version

Name:	D0475493-8DED-4760-B7A5-1CAF6F75AFE9_1590965008166.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	2735440   Click image for larger version

Name:	4B743BB2-0D15-48CD-8CDA-28F4A9D5F2A9_1590965024144.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	2735442   Click image for larger version

Name:	B022E425-6F68-4F95-9B85-A90119BF1D1B_1590965043143.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	2735444  
no quarter and KenM10759 like this.
post #46995 of 47373 Old 05-31-2020, 06:12 PM

Not to stir up sh*t; and I can't find the post now. But someone was asking, about active "monitors".

PMC...has legit, studio-proven units, of all shapes and sizes; depending on your listening preference (near-field, mid, or from afar)...and pocketbook.

post #46996 of 47373 Old 05-31-2020, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got my album rack in today. I think it turned out nice. May get another to go beside. Should be all the storage I’ll ever need.
Looks like you have a good start with your album collection already, way ahead of me. Are you still spinning CD’s John?,if so, what are you using as a player? I need a few things to complete my setup, mainly GAIA 1’s for my speakers, and I may demo a few different speaker cables and power cords for the Nagra. If I hear no difference, I will stick with generic cables. Then, I go album shopping, hopefully covid will be gone soon, and all the local shops will open up, right now they are only doing curbside pickup.

post #46997 of 47373 Old 05-31-2020, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like you have a good start with your album collection already, way ahead of me. Are you still spinning CD’️s John?,if so, what are you using as a player? I need a few things to complete my setup, mainly GAIA 1’️s for my speakers, and I may demo a few different speaker cables and power cords for the Nagra. If I hear no difference, I will stick with generic cables. Then, I go album shopping, hopefully covid will be gone soon, and all the local shops will open up, right now they are only doing curbside pickup.
Got a decent start. Have 3 more coming in this week. Using an Oppo 93 for CDs. I still but CDs. Hell of a bargain right now.
post #46998 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I've never been bothered by the so-called "ugly sticks" on the C2/C4 in any finish I've seen. My C2 are piano black, so I don't even notice it. They blend right in.
Not sure why people called them that, much better looking than just your typical box.... I have always thought they looked sexing and sound better than they look.. Still like them better than the newer units, and better than any "plain" box design we see.
RaceTripper and yonson like this.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
post #46999 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Still others say they prefer the sound of the old speaker, saying the original are more true to the Dynaudio house sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjodor2000 View Post
Would you care to elaborate on this? Is the original Contour more laid back, and the Contour i-series more forward? Or what does it mean that the Contour i-series is less true to the Dynaudio house sound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrex99 View Post
House’ sound is a subjective term. Maybe we prefer what we accustomed of and take it as our reference.

Reading the reviews, to me it seems they retained lot of same character.

The tech they use in the new tweeters though, if i compare between esotar 2 and 3, bring out more natural, clearer, faster and much more (micro) detail.
That could be why some prefer older model, maybe they are more foregiving on source?
Or more relaxed, some further soundstage?
But if your source is fine, than ‘new’ dynaudio gives you more layers in music / sound. At least what i expect in new ‘ i ‘ Contour based on new Confidence experience and reading the latest reviews.
Not sure how to interpret this. It sounds like being less true to the Dynaudio House Sound brings more benefits than drawbacks. Or that the "new" Dynaudio House Sound is better than the old one (assuming your source is fine)?

Also, is there anyone on this forum that has heard the new Dynaudio Contour i-Series live themselves yet, and can share some experiences?
post #47000 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
Not sure why people called them that, much better looking than just your typical box.... I have always thought they looked sexing and sound better than they look.. Still like them better than the newer units, and better than any "plain" box design we see.
I'm with you. I think they look great, and they continue to bring me joy. Even after hearing the Confidence 30 at the dealer with a stack of records from my library I just have no desire at all to make a change.

post #47001 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

RaceTripper: Ironically I didn't see the post by MindRise, and if you do a comparison of the newer C2 line like the Platinum version with a darker color, your Black and my Mocca finish I think they even look better than the current ones. The picture he is using looks like the original Confidence line, I do agree with him on the Grey Oak though, If they had them in the Confidence 20's I might be all over a pair. Still would considering a pair in the Smoke Finish, hard to find them in the US right now.

post #47002 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Not to stir up sh*t; and I can't find the post now. But someone was asking, about active "monitors".

PMC...has legit, studio-proven units, of all shapes and sizes; depending on your listening preference (near-field, mid, or from afar)...and pocketbook.
I'd agree with this. In Pro audio circles Dynaudio's lower studio monitor tiers (LYD/BM) can't really compete with the big boys such as PMC. While nice monitors for tracking, they are hard to mix/master on due to the Dynaudio mid bass hump and upper mids suckout. I have here a pair of PMC two.two6 monitors that make most audio sound pretty ugly but they tell you exactly what is happening in a mix, warts and all, which is exactly what you want in a studio environment. Never heard the Air line but would assume it is more accurate, albeit at a much higher cost, as it should be.

Dynaudio Contour 20 // Dynaudio Stand 20 // PrimaLuna Evo 300 // Rega Planar 8 // Rega Ania // Rega Fono MC // Denefrips Ares II
post #47003 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
RaceTripper: Ironically I didn't see the post by MindRise, and if you do a comparison of the newer C2 line like the Platinum version with a darker color, your Black and my Mocca finish I think they even look better than the current ones. The picture he is using looks like the original Confidence line, I do agree with him on the Grey Oak though, If they had them in the Confidence 20's I might be all over a pair. Still would considering a pair in the Smoke Finish, hard to find them in the US right now.
My dealer has a pair of Contour 60s in the gloss gray (is that Gray Oak?). They look stunning. However, I still prefer the piano black for my C2 over anything. It works best with my piano black REL subs, black Naim and black on black Fraim.

I wonder what the Confidence 20 would sound like in my system (not that it's on my radar) Would they have that big orchestral hall slam and presence I like for symphonic music, etc?

post #47004 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNVNation View Post
I'd agree with this. In Pro audio circles Dynaudio's lower studio monitor tiers (LYD/BM) can't really compete with the big boys such as PMC. While nice monitors for tracking, they are hard to mix/master on due to the Dynaudio mid bass hump and upper mids suckout. I have here a pair of PMC two.two6 monitors that make most audio sound pretty ugly but they tell you exactly what is happening in a mix, warts and all, which is exactly what you want in a studio environment. Never heard the Air line but would assume it is more accurate, albeit at a much higher cost, as it should be.
What about the Result 6? Ever hear it??

Based on what you're saying; maybe it strikes a balance, from the warts-and-all presentation...of the TwoTwo.

post #47005 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 05:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 643
The Dyn M3 series is one of the best monitors in the biz at least during production. It would run toe to toe with JBL, Genelec and Adam in its price range. The Dyn Cinema Master is a M3 basically.

The Core59 is a different animal but I bet it would perform in a residential HT or music system.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #47006 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
What about the Result 6? Ever hear it??

Based on what you're saying; maybe it strikes a balance, from the warts-and-all presentation...of the TwoTwo.
The Result6 is in some ways very similar to the two.two's. Amazing insight and detail, overall slightly lean balance. They don't have the bottom end extension (of the two's) but in broad terms are definitely 'related'. Fantastic value overall, you'd have to spend a lot more in the passive world to get anywhere near them.

Dyns by contrast are much nicer to listen to, especially over long sessions with mediocre material. Again, nicer is a negative in studio terms but for home listening or basic tracking it can be a positive. Swings and roundabouts..

Dynaudio Contour 20 // Dynaudio Stand 20 // PrimaLuna Evo 300 // Rega Planar 8 // Rega Ania // Rega Fono MC // Denefrips Ares II
post #47007 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 350
always been Genelec curious when it came to active studio monitors, they seem to have good tech and craftsmanship. Also the higher end JBLs are intriguing as well .
post #47008 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Sadly, the current Confidence Series still lacks a centre speaker. I can't fathom why... I ask the chaps at the Dynaudio factory and there wasn't a real answer I can quote.
post #47009 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 08:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sadly, the current Confidence Series still lacks a centre speaker. I can't fathom why... I ask the chaps at the Dynaudio factory and there wasn't a real answer I can quote.
Probably because home theatre is a dying breed, I just got rid of my confidence Center.

post #47010 of 47373 Old 06-01-2020, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Quote:
Probably because home theatre is a dying breed, I just got rid of my confidence Center.
Lmao.... the entire speaker forum is threads asking about HT speaker setups, not 2-ch setups.
MUDCAT45 likes this.

Dynaudio Contour 20, Focus 210C, DM 2/6, Hsu VTF3 MK5 HP, Oppo BDP-103, Naim Uniti Star, Marantz SR5010, 60" 4K Samsung LED LCD, XBOX ONE S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page