Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 1568 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10181Likes

post #47011 of 47366 Old 06-01-2020, 10:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Question Integrated amplifier for Dynaudio Emit M10

Hi I'm looking for an amplifier with a good quality / price ratio but which synergically matches well with these speakers, I would prefer a class AB amplifier, it would be an advantage to add an external dac in order to change the sound signature at will, it could be a good choice the Cambridge AXA35? I will use the speakers in a nearfield configuration, the source used is my PC via optical or coaxial connection. I also plan to add a subwoofer because in addition to music I am also a user of high definition cinema.

Thanks everyone for the help and have a nice Sunday

Last edited by Kevinhifi; 06-01-2020 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47012 of 47366 Old 06-02-2020, 02:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinhifi View Post
Hi I'm looking for an amplifier with a good quality / price ratio but which synergically matches well with these speakers, I would prefer a class AB amplifier, it would be an advantage to add an external dac in order to change the sound signature at will, it could be a good choice the Cambridge AXA35? I will use the speakers in a nearfield configuration, the source used is my PC via optical or coaxial connection. I also plan to add a subwoofer because in addition to music I am also a user of high definition cinema.

Thanks everyone for the help and have a nice Sunday
I'm not sure what your budget is, but the Marantz PM 6006 costs close to that CA AZA35 and is a solid amp.
If the budget allows, the PM 7000N is a multi-talented amp.
post #47013 of 47366 Old 06-02-2020, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1
For about €668.00 I can buy the Musical Fidelity M2si which is a better match for the Emit M10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47014 of 47366 Old 06-02-2020, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey guys, I wanted to get opinions from fellow Dynaudio fans on a possible upgrade.

Do you think buying a pair of Dynaudio Special Forty would be an upgrade from a Dynaudio BM15 passive? Or should I look at different Dynaudio options?
post #47015 of 47366 Old 06-02-2020, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
Probably because home theatre is a dying breed, I just got rid of my confidence Center.
LOL…

I lost interest in HT sound years ago. Nothing has changed in my HT setup since I replaced a broken AVR with a NAD AVR 6 years ago. Now they want nearly $600 to add support for 4K video passthru with an upgrade module (I just bought a LG CX65 4K TV). I'm not doing that. My next step might be to get rid of it all and just use a Naim Mu-so 2.
no quarter likes this.

Clearaudio Ovation/Universal Dynavector XV-1s
Naim Audio SuperLine/NDX2/XPS DR/NAC-252/SuperCap DR/NAP-300 DR/Fraim
Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum (Piano Black) REL R-328 x 2
Naim Audio Uniti Atom, Mu-so Qb2; Dynaudio Audience 52SE (Cherry)
post #47016 of 47366 Old 06-02-2020, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
LOL…

I lost interest in HT sound years ago. Nothing has changed in my HT setup since I replaced a broken AVR with a NAD AVR 6 years ago. Now they want nearly $600 to add support for 4K video passthru with an upgrade module (I just bought a LG CX65 4K TV). I'm not doing that. My next step might be to get rid of it all and just use a Naim Mu-so 2.
I mainly used my home theatre setup for concert bluerays. A 7.2 hometheater is not practical in my one bedroom apartment, not only for the amount of gear involved, but also the high SPL’s I played my movies at do not work with neighbors only a thin wall away.
RaceTripper and Akp2123 like this.

Nagra,Chord,Naim,Rega RP-10,Peak Consult Incognito
post #47017 of 47366 Old 06-02-2020, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I think I must be one of the few who has never owned, and never had any desire to own, a home theatre of any kind.

Dynaudio Contour 20 // Dynaudio Stand 20 // PrimaLuna Evo 300 // Rega Planar 8 // Rega Ania // Rega Fono MC // Denefrips Ares II
post #47018 of 47366 Old 06-02-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2403 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
I am not doing a "home theater" in a living room again. I am looking forward to having a dedicated room again soon for HT stuff. Big movie fan so a proper Atmos setup with killer bass is a lot of fun. Put on Mad Max: Fury Road and buckle up buckaroos...
post #47019 of 47366 Old 06-02-2020, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by VNVNation View Post
I think I must be one of the few who has never owned, and never had any desire to own, a home theatre of any kind.
I started with a pair of TDL RTL 3, then I visited a local store where the Lion King was on a LD in Dolby Surround, they were playing "The Circle of Life" and that was it.
HT 70% and some background music... occasional critical listening when I have time, which isn't so common...
post #47020 of 47366 Old 06-03-2020, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I never really had a decent HT setup until I purchased my house a few years ago... I'd always wanted one but living in condos it just didn't make sense. Even though I spend over 90% of my time listening to 2 channel, I LOVE having the HT setup. When I move and can build my next place I'll have a dedicated in wall/ceiling HT setup and 2 channel will be in my office, but until then I'll continue to enjoy what I have...
post #47021 of 47366 Old 06-03-2020, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strlok View Post
Hey guys, I wanted to get opinions from fellow Dynaudio fans on a possible upgrade.

Do you think buying a pair of Dynaudio Special Forty would be an upgrade from a Dynaudio BM15 passive? Or should I look at different Dynaudio options?
It would be a huge upgrade. The driver build quality is not even comparable, and the SQ difference would be huge. You are really comparing apples to oranges.
post #47022 of 47366 Old 06-03-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I am not doing a "home theater" in a living room again. I am looking forward to having a dedicated room again soon for HT stuff. Big movie fan so a proper Atmos setup with killer bass is a lot of fun. Put on Mad Max: Fury Road and buckle up buckaroos...
That's the only way to do it properly. Most people's living rooms aren't large enough, and don't have enough space around the seating positions to place surround channels properly. Surround channels do nothing but distract you from the movie when they are too close to your ears. You need space to allow proper dispersion.
drewTT likes this.
post #47023 of 47366 Old 06-03-2020, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Em' Dance View Post
It would be a huge upgrade. The driver build quality is not even comparable, and the SQ difference would be huge. You are really comparing apples to oranges.
Oh really? Wow. Eventhough the woofer is smaller on the Special Forty compared to my BM15 its that much of a jump?

Just to be clear, a direct upgrade for me would be from BM15 to Special Forty, or is there another Dynaudio speaker I should look at?
post #47024 of 47366 Old 06-03-2020, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2403 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Oh really? Wow. Eventhough the woofer is smaller on the Special Forty compared to my BM15 its that much of a jump?

Just to be clear, a direct upgrade for me would be from BM15 to Special Forty, or is there another Dynaudio speaker I should look at?
What are you looking to accomplish? The BM is a nearfield studio monitor designed for high SPL playback. Special 40 is a completely different application. You can't really just look at the spec sheets.
post #47025 of 47366 Old 06-03-2020, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Red face C4 Platinum

I read reviews that these speakers can be too big for some rooms .I have a big room with 12 foot ceilings and these bad boys are shocking ! Soundstage! Detail ! Hi end ! Low End ! MIDS ! I was looking for this speaker for 2 years and it was right in front of me . I just couldn't believe that a speaker at this price can compete with speakers 3 times the price . Is this speaker fussy about room size? I've heard that this speaker sounds great in smaller rooms too . All I can say is that these speakers could easily take the Pepsi challenge against most speakers regardless of price . Did I try speakers that were more expensive ? Yup . Does it have to do with my room size or high ceilings ? I don't know but very happy !
RaceTripper likes this.
post #47026 of 47366 Old 06-03-2020, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaccli View Post
I read reviews that these speakers can be too big for some rooms .I have a big room with 12 foot ceilings and these bad boys are shocking ! Soundstage! Detail ! Hi end ! Low End ! MIDS ! I was looking for this speaker for 2 years and it was right in front of me . I just couldn't believe that a speaker at this price can compete with speakers 3 times the price . Is this speaker fussy about room size? I've heard that this speaker sounds great in smaller rooms too . All I can say is that these speakers could easily take the Pepsi challenge against most speakers regardless of price . Did I try speakers that were more expensive ? Yup . Does it have to do with my room size or high ceilings ? I don't know but very happy !
Nice to hear you are digging the C4’s, I have never heard a pair. What are the other speakers that you heard, and felt the C4’s were better?

Nagra,Chord,Naim,Rega RP-10,Peak Consult Incognito
post #47027 of 47366 Old 06-03-2020, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I use my C2s in a smallish room (11 x 17 x 8) with a pair of REL subs, and love what they bring to the table. Mahler's 2nd Symphony on vinyl (Solti/LSO on Decca) is glorious.
andrex99 and Suboctave like this.

post #47028 of 47366 Old 06-04-2020, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Glad you are enjoying them. I previously had mine in a "medium" sized room at my old house and I actually think they did a bit better there than currently in my large open plan space. For me they are speakers that are fantastic at everything, If I had any complaint I would say they are more "boring" in some ways than lessor speakers I have heard. No artificial extra sparkle on top or exaggerated upper bass punch. This are good qualities which are appreciated but are not striking. They always sound "right" to me, especially voices.
post #47029 of 47366 Old 06-04-2020, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 435
My C4's are in a 16x18x8.5 room and are quite awesome, I don't think I'd run them in any smaller of a room though...
post #47030 of 47366 Old 06-04-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
What are you looking to accomplish? The BM is a nearfield studio monitor designed for high SPL playback. Special 40 is a completely different application. You can't really just look at the spec sheets.
Ah I see. Well my priority is always to get the most resolution out of my speakers. I like how punchy the BM15s sound. I'm more of a midrange guy than anything else. It just looked like the Special 40 had a really sick woofer with a huge voice coil that I think would be very impressive SQ wise.

I thought I'd stick with Dynaudio because of how much I love the BM15s.
post #47031 of 47366 Old 06-05-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Ah I see. Well my priority is always to get the most resolution out of my speakers. I like how punchy the BM15s sound. I'm more of a midrange guy than anything else. It just looked like the Special 40 had a really sick woofer with a huge voice coil that I think would be very impressive SQ wise.

I thought I'd stick with Dynaudio because of how much I love the BM15s.
The drivers used in the BM15 are more on par with the Emit series. The Special 40 and above are on another level. As I stated previously, it's not even a close comparison.
post #47032 of 47366 Old 06-05-2020, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thinking of coming back to Dyns after about a decade away from them (a pair of BM5A MKII). Current speakers are a pair of KEF LS50W but I'm interested in the 3-way LYD 48 to use in their place to possibly negate the need or better integrate with a sub in my small 11.5'x10'x9' room. Curious as to whether anyone here has experience with them in a home near-field setting (5' from speakers) or what @Otto J might think.

Bill
post #47033 of 47366 Old 06-05-2020, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Stopped by my dealer today to pick up a Chord Qutest to try out.

Had the chance to listen to the Confidence 20’s he is breaking in powered by the Vinnie Rossi Integrated (also being broken in).

Beautiful sound! My first with the Confidence line. Can’t compare that sound with mine (huge, treated room, large difference in $). He said he really liked the Naim SN3 on the CF20’s , a bit more energy in certain parts of the FR.

Came home and listened to a couple of the same tracks in my small room with the SN3 + Special Forty, very satisfying. I’ll hopefully get a listen with the Vinnie Rossi SE when he gets it in, and he will have the Confidence 50’s soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
andrex99 and Suboctave like this.
post #47034 of 47366 Old 06-05-2020, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I use my C2s in a smallish room (11 x 17 x 8) with a pair of REL subs, and love what they bring to the table. Mahler's 2nd Symphony on vinyl (Solti/LSO on Decca) is glorious.

I have a room similar in size and have found the long wall to be better but for the C2's I understand that you need to get some distance for proper sound staging. From the photo's you have posted, I cannot tell how you control sidewall reflections? Any advice, as I am going to try it your way with my 3.4LE's?
post #47035 of 47366 Old 06-05-2020, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertholomey View Post

Had the chance to listen to the Confidence 20’s he is breaking in powered by the Vinnie Rossi Integrated (also being broken in).

Beautiful sound! My first with the Confidence line. Can’t compare that sound with mine (huge, treated room, large difference in $). He said he really liked the Naim SN3 on the CF20’s , a bit more energy in certain parts of the FR.

Came home and listened to a couple of the same tracks in my small room with the SN3 + Special Forty, very satisfying. I’ll hopefully get a listen with the Vinnie Rossi SE when he gets it in, and he will have the Confidence 50’s soon.

Wow. SN3 is good enough for CF20? I am surprised.

Have you compared CF20 with Contour 20/20i by chance?

HiFi: Dynaudio Contour C20 (White Piano) | Schiit Modi Multibit DAC | NAIM SuperNait 3
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA-DIN | Tellurium Q Black
HeadFi: Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee | Schiit Fulla 3

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Focus 260 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 | NAIM SuperNait 2

post #47036 of 47366 Old 06-05-2020, 03:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertholomey View Post

Had the chance to listen to the Confidence 20’️s he is breaking in powered by the Vinnie Rossi Integrated (also being broken in).

Beautiful sound! My first with the Confidence line. Can’️t compare that sound with mine (huge, treated room, large difference in $). He said he really liked the Naim SN3 on the CF20’️s , a bit more energy in certain parts of the FR.

Came home and listened to a couple of the same tracks in my small room with the SN3 + Special Forty, very satisfying. I’️ll hopefully get a listen with the Vinnie Rossi SE when he gets it in, and he will have the Confidence 50’️s soon.

Why surprised about SN3? You have C20 right? Plays those right? Why would it struggle with CF20?
post #47037 of 47366 Old 06-05-2020, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suboctave View Post
I have a room similar in size and have found the long wall to be better but for the C2's I understand that you need to get some distance for proper sound staging. From the photo's you have posted, I cannot tell how you control sidewall reflections? Any advice, as I am going to try it your way with my 3.4LE's?
I don't do room treatments per say. I have wall hangings, rugs, pillows, and the records behind the speakers acting as sort of a diffuser. It all sounds great. Could I do measurements, get anxious about them and start adding room treatments and such to make the graph look good? Yes. Would it all improve my enjoyment of music. Maybe. Would it make me enjoy the room less for looking like a recording studio with ugly treatments? Probably. Do I need to bother? Nope.

I've spent a lot of time with speaker positioning to get things sound the best and bring out the staging orchestra/choral music. The isoAcoutsics Gaia II feet helped that too. I'm very happy with it all.
CDLehner and bertholomey like this.

post #47038 of 47366 Old 06-05-2020, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post

I didn’t hear the combo, but my guy said it was good - he may have been saying that to make me feel good because that is the amp that I have, but he knows I’m not the customer for the CF20, so he wasn’t blowing sunshine in that way.

I haven’t heard the Contour 20’s, so I can’t speak to a comparison there. The last he told me, my dealer has the Contour 20’s and a SN2 at home.

He did mention to me some good points (sadly I wasn’t listening very well being awed with the equipment in front of me) - he was saying that if he had a guy with x preferences, he would steer them to Naim or Simaudio with the CF20’s, but a different listener, the Vinnie Rossi.

I thought the Vinnie Rossi + CF20 was very, very good - Tracy Chapman’s Fast Car via digital (Naim NX2 server perhaps with Chord Hugo 2 TT) was phenomenal - her voice was nearly holographic, bass was superb, and acoustic guitar was very realistic. He switched to Peter Gabriel’s Mercy Street on the Clearaudio SC Performance - wonderful lower mid range, articulate bass guitar, - I thought the highs were very polite.....especially with the triangle (?) in that track. He tried to explain that they were still breaking in and he tried to explain (over my head) what the hex structure behind the tweeter dome was doing.

He finished the demo with a little Todd Terje that was very lively and energetic. I would have loved to have had a longer demo - especially with the entire So vinyl from Gabriel. But....he did mention that he felt the CF20’s were more efficient than some of the previous top line Dyn’s and we played at good volume with the Vinnie Rossi L2i, and they filled a giant listening room.

post #47039 of 47366 Old 06-05-2020, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 45
If you're not going to treat a room then I'd suggest listening in the relative nearfield as that will introduce less room interaction (obviously). Farfield in an untreated room will really make it difficult to know what is the recording and what is the room.

Of course there's a myriad of factors at play, not least personal taste, and there's nothing to say a less 'accurate' representation of the recording can't be subjectively more appealing anyway. And yes 'some' treatments are pretty ugly, although there are plenty of companies making decor friendly panels and traps that are less intrusive. But if you're happy then that is all that matters!

Dynaudio Contour 20 // Dynaudio Stand 20 // PrimaLuna Evo 300 // Rega Planar 8 // Rega Ania // Rega Fono MC // Denefrips Ares II
post #47040 of 47366 Old 06-05-2020, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurrier Sucks View Post

Why surprised about SN3? You have C20 right? Plays those right? Why would it struggle with CF20?
Yep and very happy. I just thought CF20 would be a bit harder to drive and sound best with at least a 282/250DR or 300DR combo.

HiFi: Dynaudio Contour C20 (White Piano) | Schiit Modi Multibit DAC | NAIM SuperNait 3
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA-DIN | Tellurium Q Black
HeadFi: Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee | Schiit Fulla 3

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Focus 260 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 | NAIM SuperNait 2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page