Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 980 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10184Likes

post #29371 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Money is the object behind any acquisition! Perhaps some of these people do enjoy the brand, but that's not, certainly not, the primary motivation of the new owners otherwise someone from this forum would have bought them!! Let's face it you have to be pretty f-ing rich and principled to be like I'm gonna buy this company and I dont care if it looses money, I just want to make sure the brand isn't devalued!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29372 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
callas01: I don't think that will happen with Dynaudio (hopefully) I think they will stick to their principles of making excellent products. Hopefully the new ownership will stick with those principles, if they don't they will just be one of the thousands of Chinese companies that run a company into the ground trying to make cheaper products that don't sound very good.

GT: Thanks for posting those pictures, much better and I was glad to see the black baffle on the Contours!

CD: Totally agree with "ALL" of your last post! Very interesting article!

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/
post #29373 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
callas01: I don't think that will happen with Dynaudio (hopefully) I think they will stick to their principles of making excellent products. Hopefully the new ownership will stick with those principles, if they don't they will just be one of the thousands of Chinese companies that run a company into the ground trying to make cheaper products that don't sound very good.

GT: Thanks for posting those pictures, much better and I was glad to see the black baffle on the Contours!

CD: Totally agree with "ALL" of your last post! Very interesting article!
So far we've only seen positives from the Goertek/Dynaudio acquisition so im not defaming anything but realistically, mailing a profit is the primary concern of any company!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29374 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
I think I've mentioned that my wife is the bassist in a local DC band called Ménage À Garage. If you're so inclined, would you mind casting your vote here? Takes about five seconds:

http://washington.thedelimagazine.co...hp?category=13

Thanks! Happy Mother's Day!
Done, they are leading by 2!
GTaudiophile likes this.
post #29375 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Otto,

One of the links you provided mentioned the following drivers as being for the new Contours.
15W38
18W55
24W64

Is this correct and can you give us any information about them vs. current drivers? It was mentioned that the xmax had been increased, it looks like the voice coil diameter has been decreased substantially. Will these new drivers be 4 ohm, are they more efficient, has power handling been decreased?
post #29376 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 595
I don't think that we are trying to hide the fact that we are going to make big pushes into new markets in the future. The claim we are making is, that this is an addition to, not instead of, expanding on serious home audio. As I have mentioned some months ago, we have more people than ever working on home audio. The way the new Contour has turned out is a direct result of that. And if anything, Goertek have pushed to keep the Dynaudio DNA, they are fans too.

I can't predict the future, but right now home audio is expanding. You will just have to get used to Dynaudio not ONLY being about classic home audio speakers, pro audio, and car audio. But the new product categories that will come out are not supposed to be a replacement for lack of sales in home audio. This market might be going down overall, but WE are expanding. Remember all the worry that we would focus only on active products? The Contour is why I said "wait and see". We believe that there is still room for a strong Dynaudio presence in passive speakers.

All this said, the proof is in the pudding.
post #29377 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Which integrated amp for Focus 160s?

Well I snagged a pair of new Focus 160s on closeout and am quite looking forward to my first Dynaudio speakers... and to my first 4 ohm speakers. I need to upgrade from my Rega Brio integrated, but am inclined to stay with the Rega sound. I've read good things here about the Naim XS2 though and I'm intrigued. The 160s seem to come alive with lots of power and I want something that will handle them easily. Would, for example, the Elex-R with 113 watts into 4 ohms be enough to comfortably power these little boxes or would I need to step up to the Elicit-R with 162 watts/4 ohms? (Man, that sounds like a lot.) Cheers.
post #29378 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 3320
Someone go get 'em https://www.audiogon.com/listings/mo...30-newburgh-in

No affiliation. I would buy them...but I'm not crazy about that finish.
GTaudiophile likes this.

1 - All The Music In The World > PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC > Dynaudio X14As
2 - All The Music In The World > > Dynaudio EMIT M10s

FS: ARCAM A29 IA
post #29379 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma_function View Post
Well I snagged a pair of new Focus 160s on closeout and am quite looking forward to my first Dynaudio speakers... and to my first 4 ohm speakers. I need to upgrade from my Rega Brio integrated, but am inclined to stay with the Rega sound. I've read good things here about the Naim XS2 though and I'm intrigued. The 160s seem to come alive with lots of power and I want something that will handle them easily. Would, for example, the Elex-R with 113 watts into 4 ohms be enough to comfortably power these little boxes or would I need to step up to the Elicit-R with 162 watts/4 ohms? (Man, that sounds like a lot.) Cheers.
You're on the right track Gamma. No offense to the NAIM guys (seem to be saying that a lot these days...lol; aren't you glad, I came back ); but I think the Elicit-R, is an XS-2 killer!

But there's an owner, here I believe; that has an Elex-R, and likes it very much. Might be enough, for the 160s.

post #29380 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Here is a fun challenge I pose to the group: view all 12+ pages of this thread and then come back here to post your TOP 3 favorite speaker designs:

http://www.my-hiend.com/vbb/showthread.php?10531-2016
Hmm; well...first of all. I need to take back, the word hideous...when it comes to describing the new Contours. If we're grading on a curve; if I call those hideous, I don't even have anywhere to go...for some of the crazy ***** I just saw!

Hard to identify, some of those models; as I don't think, you'd see them...at an American show. But none of the ones, I couldn't identify...really ranked among my favorites anyway.

I know we're suppose to pick 3; but I already saw someone list 5...and really, only 2 stood out as really appealing, to my taste. However...I have some honorable mentions.

Dali, Raidho, Sonus Faber...in no particular order; always make nice-looking speakers, and I saw some beauts on display. Audio Vector, is a brand I am not familiar with; look a lot like ELAC...but I'll give them a mention, and some love.

2nd place, goes to Wilson Benesch. I've always liked the look of their speakers; clean and masculine. That A.C.T. One Evolution P1, is a stunner.

But for me...all things weighed; you gotta give props, to Focal...for their design. The Sopra is hot, hot, hot

P.S. - Props to Dyn...for having the best-looking woman, photographed in their room

...or would that be Dali?

Last edited by CDLehner; 05-08-2016 at 09:08 PM.
post #29381 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm gonna go with Dali...
post #29382 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Went through all the arguments with the new contour launched by Dynaudio. Sorry to say but it sounded to me all baseless. Entire argument is just on the looks whereas Otto is trying to provide technical details of how they have made a better speaker.

I mean seriously, I don't have as much experience as you guys but making conclusions just by looks is not what audiophiles do...pls correct me if I'm wrong. If none of us has heard it then how can we say it's good or bad.

If looks were everything then Sonus Faber would be way ahead in the game and Focus 260 would not be the speaker of everyone's choice...just saying. :-)

I bet once you guys will listen to the new contours, the next argument will be that "we don't care about the looks, it all about the sound" ;-)

Have a nice week guys!!
post #29383 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I had the XS with both my Focus 160s and my 260s it was a great combo. I've only heard the Brio at the same audition as the Musical Fidelity M3i and I ended up buying the Naim Nait 5i and was happier then either of the others. Since then I've stuck with Naim. I'm sure the Elicit is a nice unit also. Obviously if you can listen to both then you'd have your answer. Good luck.
post #29384 of 47373 Old 05-08-2016, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post
Went through all the arguments with the new contour launched by Dynaudio. Sorry to say but it sounded to me all baseless. Entire argument is just on the looks whereas Otto is trying to provide technical details of how they have made a better speaker.

I mean seriously, I don't have as much experience as you guys but making conclusions just by looks is not what audiophiles do...pls correct me if I'm wrong. If none of us has heard it then how can we say it's good or bad.

If looks were everything then Sonus Faber would be way ahead in the game and Focus 260 would not be the speaker of everyone's choice...just saying. :-)

I bet once you guys will listen to the new contours, the next argument will be that "we don't care about the looks, it all about the sound" ;-)

Have a nice week guys!!
I have a different view point. If I pay $5-600 for a basic Emit level or other brand speaker, I don't expect to have good looks.
But if I drop a few grand, I would like something that looks nice in my home..

But as I mentioned, Otto says it sounds good, that is more important, just that it won't hurt if I feel that I spent good money to get great sound And good looks

BTW, my friend said the Contours looked like something from a cartoon

post #29385 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
Some people on another forum are liking this girl sitting behind the VTL amps...

HiFi: Dynaudio Contour C20 (White Piano) | Schiit Modi Multibit DAC | NAIM SuperNait 3
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA-DIN | Tellurium Q Black
HeadFi: Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee | Schiit Fulla 3

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Focus 260 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 | NAIM SuperNait 2

post #29386 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 05:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I would stick with the Naim out of the ones you mentioned, unless you can find a good used Musical Fidelity A5 or A3.5. (reasonable prices on Agon right now) They had much more detail and punch then the newer series by them, so it not surprising that callaso1 didn't like the M3i, I didn't think it had enough power or juice, and the Rega Brio, although great sounding I found the exact same thing, not enough detailed power to really make the Dynaudio sing. If you like the Rega sound I would stick with a Elicit-R for sure.

GT: She looks too mean! lol I take the second picture in CD's post the women with the mini-shirt! On the speaker end of things I would say Dali has the better looks, but I have owned them currently own a pair of there lower end line, the Epicon's sound great on instrumental music but to me when you start including music with singers the voices seemed suppressed and further back in the sound stage, hence when I demoed them in my home with my Dynaudio they only lasted a day. Now there Ikon series for some reason I liked better for the money long with their Zenors speakers, the fit and finish on their Rubicon and Epicon series was excellent though! I like the looks of the Raidho's as well, but they are no different looking than the higher end Focals...
GTaudiophile likes this.

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.

Last edited by Garman; 05-09-2016 at 05:49 AM.
post #29387 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@CDLehner : I can agree with you giving mention to Raidho. They do have a simple beauty to them too. But also they are a little on the cold side to me. We both agree on Dali. I can't agree with you on Focal. I do like the blue finish on the one Sopra model but otherwise I can't embrace that design. It does the Avant Garde well, though.

HiFi: Dynaudio Contour C20 (White Piano) | Schiit Modi Multibit DAC | NAIM SuperNait 3

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Focus 260 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 | NAIM SuperNait 2

post #29388 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

@Otto : Can we PayPal you some €€€ to take pics of the hottest audio-loving babes in Munich?

post #29389 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'll correct my comments about Focal.

I do like their standard, non-curvy .designs:

I do like this blue finish but I don't like the whole curvy thing:

post #29390 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked: 2105
I don't consider the Sopra to be overly curvy, it's their "disjointed" look that I can't get on with.
GTaudiophile likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, E.A.T. C-Major TT w/Ortofon Quintet Blue cart.
post #29391 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So we can all agree we all like the standard boring boxes then! LOL Well I for one could never get into these (horns) no matter how good they sounded... I like the curvy design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StandDesignersinMunich.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	1430282  
GTaudiophile likes this.

post #29392 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonson View Post
The gal in the Dali pic...you marry; the one in the Dyn pic, you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrixman18 View Post

Well, of course; I think it goes without saying...sound is more important than looks. However...while it matters not a bit to some; it does matter some to others. And since no one has actually heard, the new Contour...all there is to comment on, right now; is whether we like the new look or not.

This is what we do

Quote:
Some people on another forum are liking this girl sitting behind the VTL amps...

Missed her; guess because she was behind the kit, lol. She looks better, from afar. Up close...I agree; a bit of a sour-puss.

BTW...who's idea was this? I'm sure Otto must love the fact...that we're holding a competition, by where we post great pictures; of like every speaker...other than Dyn, lol
GTaudiophile and yonson like this.

Last edited by CDLehner; 05-09-2016 at 06:41 AM.
post #29393 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So we can all agree we all like the standard boring boxes then! LOL Well I for one could never get into these (horns) no matter how good they sounded... I like the curvy design.
I actually do like those curves Sehr deutsch!

Last edited by GTaudiophile; 05-09-2016 at 06:33 AM.
post #29394 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
OMG; I agree. Now those are hideous.

That being said...I'm really intrigued, by the AvantGarde Zero 1; both sound, and design.

Horn sound...without the gaudy, horn look?

Last edited by CDLehner; 05-09-2016 at 06:37 AM.
post #29395 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well Dynaudio has this up now on their web site..... Much better looking with the black baffle.

http://www.dynaudio.com/dynaudio-aca...Marketing+2016

CD: I heard those at Axpona, very nice but way to modern looking for our decor here...

post #29396 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
CD: I heard those at Axpona, very nice but way to modern looking for our decor here...
Garman, remember what they were driven with? Some flea-watt 300B SET?

post #29397 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
I'll correct my comments about Focal.

I do like their standard, non-curvy .designs:

I do like this blue finish but I don't like the whole curvy thing:

GT
Unless that blue finish is NEW for the Sopra 3,it is not a standard finish for the sopra's.The standard ones are white,black,red walnut and orange.It is looking like my eventual shootout for my 2 channel room will be between the Dynaudio c 20,Raidho xt 1,and Focal Sopra 1Looks like i have to wait until october to do it

Nagra,Chord,Naim,Rega RP-10,Peak Consult Incognito
post #29398 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
GT
Unless that blue finish is NEW for the Sopra 3,it is not a standard finish for the sopra's.The standard ones are white,black,red walnut and orange.It is looking like my eventual shootout for my 2 channel room will be between the Dynaudio c 20,Raidho xt 1,and Focal Sopra 1Looks like i have to wait until october to do it
The Raidho XT-1 and Focal Sopra No. 1 both retail for almost double the Contour C20.

Focal said when I saw them at THE SHOW, they'd do custom colors to match room decores or personal tastes.
post #29399 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
The Raidho XT-1 and Focal Sopra No. 1 both retail for almost double the Contour C20.

Focal said when I saw them at THE SHOW, they'd do custom colors to match room decores or personal tastes.
C20: $5K
Focal Sopra #1: $9K
Raidho XT-1: $8.5K

Last edited by GTaudiophile; 05-09-2016 at 01:23 PM.
post #29400 of 47373 Old 05-09-2016, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post

Well,lets hope the c 20 punches way above it's price point,it may be hard for me to get a home demo of the xt 1,but i should be able to swing the sopra 1 vs c 20...it depends if i fall in love with the raidho sound or not,but that will be an hour drive to demo those.Or i could also try one of the contour floor models too.

Nagra,Chord,Naim,Rega RP-10,Peak Consult Incognito
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page