Dynaudio Owner's Thread - Page 986 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 10184Likes

post #29551 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have a few answers and more questions. First, does anybody know if the new Contour LE models are brighter than the old Contour, more like Focus? I'm curious whether the LE has new voicing or is just a slight refinement/improvement of the previous sound.
@OctaDyn_Dude :
The speakers are on the short wall, approx. 8' apart, 4' out from the front wall, 2.5' from side walls. See attached picture. It was taken earlier in the year with my previous kit. Note it's a wide angle shot so the length of the room is a little exaggerated. The subs are actually at the midpoints of the sidewalls.
@petetherock :
I noticed you compared the C1 to the 1.4LE. I will probably keep the subs with either speaker, so the difference in bass extension isn't a factor. I'm more curious about any differences in bass damping and fullness in the upper bass. I've never heard the C1, but my C2s are a little overdamped in the bass compared to what sounds natural to my ears. This is especially noticeable at low and medium volumes. For HT, I appreciate this since a lot of soundtracks are over-exuberant in the bass. But when listening to something like a well recorded acoustic bass, the bass tuning of my Focus 160s sounds more natural. With the 160s, I feel more of the pluck, the note sounds a little richer in harmonics, and there is more decay. With the C2s, it's like the note has trouble getting out unless you crank the volume. I'm curious whether you've heard anything similar in the comparison of 1.4LE and C1.
@Garman :
I've definitely thought about upgrading my C2s to Mk II, but the cosmetics of the Signature and Platinum versions are a problem. My family/living room is full of natural cherry and my cherry C2s with their grey & silver baffles is a perfect match. I haven't checked into whether the C2 Platinums can be special ordered with the old finishes though.
@callas01 :
Interesting comment about the speed. I haven't heard the C1s, but to me the C2s sound faster than the 160s. The C2s have a little more treble detail and more space in time between the notes which makes them sound faster to my ears. The remaining stock of new Focus 260s is discounted to $2800 now, which is an absolute steal. So I've definitely thought about buying a pair of 260s and sticking with them until I get a chance to hear the new Contour, or maybe waiting until there's a new Confidence. The best thing about the 160s is hardest to explain. I hate the term "musicalilty" but can't think of a better word. They sound musically satisfying with all genres of music, unlike any other speaker I've owned. But sometimes I miss some of the audiophile traits. In particular I'd like a little more clarity. My previous W-B Vertex speakers had an absolutely black background in both time and space with no smear in either dimension and the best transient performance I've heard. I miss that. They weren't neutral enough for me to keep though.
@no quarter :
I was thinking of the XDs since I like the overall sound and balance of the Focus, but I'm looking for more clarity, and maybe a little more speed. Passive crossovers are energy storage devices and phase shifters, and so in theory, even the best of them will impart a little smear compared to active crossovers using linear phase filters. So I thought maybe the XDs would improve upon the passive Focus in the areas I'm interested in. The downside of the XD is that I would have to take an overnight trip just to hear them since the Dynaudio dealers in the area don't have them. And they are surprisingly expensive, especially the 400 XD which is the best fit for my room. And probably hard to sell if they end up not working out as well as I hope in my room.

Also, yes I have heard the Magico S1, first at a show and twice at a dealer, for a total of maybe 4 hours. I wasn't shopping for speakers, we were just using them to compare streaming players. But I loved them and if I wasn't married I would have bought them on the spot. They are the best Magico speaker I've heard. I like them better than the S3 and Q1 and Mini and V2. The S1 has extreme clarity, transparency, and resolution, but also a natural ease. They give up very little to the Q1 in resolution, but the Q1 sounds a lot more clinical. The S1 are also dead neutral, with no coloration or emphasis anywhere in the frequency range that I could hear. The S3 has more bass extension than the S1, but sounds a little bit lean and the soundstage is maybe a little smaller too. The main weakness of the S1 is that they are more limited in dynamics compared to other slim floorstanders in the same price category, e.g. Revel Salon 2 and Dynaudio C2. So if you want a kick drum to punch you in the chest when you're listening to rock, this isn't the way to go. Another caveat is that their transparency will let any flaws or imbalances in the rest of your system shine through. Because of that, they are perfect audition tools.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	downstairs_wide2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	1437018  
no quarter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29552 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I have a few answers and more questions. First, does anybody know if the new Contour LE models are brighter than the old Contour, more like Focus? I'm curious whether the LE has new voicing or is just a slight refinement/improvement of the previous sound.
@OctaDyn_Dude :
The speakers are on the short wall, approx. 8' apart, 4' out from the front wall, 2.5' from side walls. See attached picture. It was taken earlier in the year with my previous kit. Note it's a wide angle shot so the length of the room is a little exaggerated. The subs are actually at the midpoints of the sidewalls.
@petetherock :
I noticed you compared the C1 to the 1.4LE. I will probably keep the subs with either speaker, so the difference in bass extension isn't a factor. I'm more curious about any differences in bass damping and fullness in the upper bass. I've never heard the C1, but my C2s are a little overdamped in the bass compared to what sounds natural to my ears. This is especially noticeable at low and medium volumes. For HT, I appreciate this since a lot of soundtracks are over-exuberant in the bass. But when listening to something like a well recorded acoustic bass, the bass tuning of my Focus 160s sounds more natural. With the 160s, I feel more of the pluck, the note sounds a little richer in harmonics, and there is more decay. With the C2s, it's like the note has trouble getting out unless you crank the volume. I'm curiously whether you've heard anything similar in the comparison of 1.4LE and C1.
@Garman :
I've definitely thought about upgrading my C2s to Mk II, but the cosmetics of the Signature and Platinum versions are a problem. My family/living room is full of natural cherry and my cherry C2s with their grey & silver baffles is a perfect match. I haven't checked into whether the C2 Platinums can be special ordered with the old finishes though.
@callas01 :
Interesting comment about the speed. I haven't heard the C1s, but to me the C2s sound faster than the 160s. The C2s have a little more treble detail and more space in time between the notes which makes them sound faster to my ears. The remaining stock of new Focus 260s is discounted to $2800 now, which is an absolute steal. So I've definitely thought about buying a pair of 260s and sticking with them until I get a chance to hear the new Contour, or maybe waiting until there's a new Confidence. The best thing about the 160s is hardest to explain. I hate the term "musicalilty" but can't think of a better word. They sound musically satisfying with all genres of music, unlike any other speaker I've owned. But sometimes I miss some of the audiophile traits. In particular I'd like a little more clarity. My previous W-B Vertex speakers had an absolutely black background in both time and space with no smear in either dimension and the best transient performance I've heard. I miss that. They weren't neutral enough for me to keep though.
@no quarter :
I was thinking of the XDs since I like the overall sound and balance of the Focus, but I'm looking for more clarity, and maybe a little more speed. Passive crossovers are energy storage devices and phase shifters, and so in theory, even the best of them will impart a little smear compared to active crossovers using linear phase filters. So I thought maybe the XDs would improve upon the passive Focus in the areas I'm interested in. The downside of the XD is that I would have to take an overnight trip just to hear them since the Dynaudio dealers in the area don't have them. And they are surprisingly expensive, especially the 400 XD which is the best fit for my room. And probably hard to sell if they end up not working out as well as I hope in my room.

Also, yes I have heard the Magico S1, first at a show and twice at a dealer, for a total of maybe 4 hours. I wasn't shopping for speakers, we were just using them to compare streaming players. But I loved them and if I wasn't married I would have bought them on the spot. They are the best Magico speaker I've heard. I like them better than the S3 and Q1 and Mini and V2. The S1 has extreme clarity, transparency, and resolution, but also a natural ease. They give up very little to the Q1 in resolution, but the Q1 sounds a lot more clinical. The S1 are also dead neutral, with no coloration or emphasis anywhere in the frequency range that I could hear. The S3 has more bass extension than the S1, but sounds a little bit lean and the soundstage is maybe a little smaller too. The main weakness of the S1 is that they are more limited in dynamics compared to other slim floorstanders in the same price category, e.g. Revel Salon 2 and Dynaudio C2. So if you want a kick drum to punch you in the chest when you're listening to rock, this isn't the way to go. Another caveat is that their transparency will let any flaws or imbalances in the rest of your system shine through. Because of that, they are perfect audition tools.
Great write up,sounds like you really know your gear.I too REALLY liked the focus 160 and I would consider it my "reference" moniter so far,including the c1's...the only reason I moved on from it is just curiosity about what else is out there.I figured I could always come back to it if nothing else I found was an improvement,then they go and discontinue it.By the looks of your room,the xd 600's would work perfectly in there...they do have a similar sound signature to the focus line...really there is NO signature,they just give me the impression that the band/musician is playing LIVE in front of me.I am struggling with a decision right now, if I should move them out of hometheater into my 2 channel room or not,I will probably end up with one of the NEW contour models,but I am not sure if the contour or xd 600 will be for 2 channel The only problem is,you would need power to that left speaker location...if you went with xd's

Nagra,Chord,Naim,Rega RP-10,Peak Consult Incognito

Last edited by no quarter; 05-13-2016 at 10:16 AM.
post #29553 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1209 Post(s)
Liked: 3320
Quote:
Originally Posted by arashid View Post
Anyone heard the new contour range?
My dealer told me...not even the US Dyn guys; have heard the new Contour LOL

1 - All The Music In The World > PS Audio Stellar Gain DAC > Dynaudio X14As
2 - All The Music In The World > > Dynaudio EMIT M10s

FS: ARCAM A29 IA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29554 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
My dealer told me...not even the US Dyn guys; have heard the new Contour LOL
CD
I went to my dealer yeserday,and he said he received an e mail from dyn about the new contours with some specs,and he printed it out...but he couldn't find it,he did mention that even NON Dyn guys that have heard them are raving about them,not sure where that info came from though.

post #29555 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no quarter View Post
CD
I went to my dealer yeserday,and he said he received an e mail from dyn about the new contours with some specs,and he printed it out...but he couldn't find it,he did mention that even NON Dyn guys that have heard them are raving about them,not sure where that info came from though.
Well sure; anyone at that show...Dyn or not...heard them (unless they were just static). But I guess the point my dealer was making...when I asked if he'd heard them yet was; no one, who wasn't at that show has.
no quarter likes this.

post #29556 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Red MC: Your description that you talk about in your post to petetherock is spot on between the older versions of the C2 verses the newer ones, the C2 MKII and Platinums had some refinements to the drivers and cross over so they play better at lower and higher volumes... The 160 is most likely the best monitor out in their line up right now, but I haven't had a chance to compare it to the 1.4 LE which I am sure is equally as good considering it's getting rave reviews right now. If I where some one that didn't want to wait, I would snag up a pair of the 160's, I am tempted too as well, but I might hold off till the newer Contour hits the streets here. If the XD are anything and better I am sure like the little Xeo2 I just bought, I am sure you will love the sound of those! I heard the XD 200/400 last year but they where not in a very good room at Axpona, too small and too many people in it! I heard the new Contour 20 will be some where in-between the C1 and the 1.4 LE, so I might play the waiting game, regardless no matter what flavor you buy, I am sure you will be happy with it!

Intersting info here in regards to some comments of what people heard at the Show, in regards to the new Contour 20's..

"During the launch the Contour 20 standmounter was being driven by the new NAD Masters series and it has to be said that the sound was rather impressive, particularly given the relatively compact nature of the speakers that were playing in a very large space."
http://hifipig.com/dynaudio-launch-c...nd/#more-22659

Stereophile had some thing similar to say..

http://www.listeningpost.co.nz/conto...50702__N.81089 <<<<<<<< I am not a fan of these finishes in this post and according to this site they will just have them in Gloss Rosewood or Bubinga which could look nice.... Heck I think I would rather have a pair of Countour 1.4 LE in Mocca or Bubinga, but that's just going off of looks! Plus I can't find anything in the specs that say what tweeter they are using in the 1.4LE Some say it is the Esotar2 already? First things for me is sound then the looks, I think the new Contour could look much better if they offer some nicer finishes. The white washed looks cheap and the Walnut with the black baffle isn't too bad, but I would rather have Mocca...

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
Kanso Audio Stand's http://kansoaudiofurniture.com/

Last edited by Garman; 05-13-2016 at 11:19 AM.
post #29557 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garman View Post
If I where some one that didn't want to wait, I would snag up a pair of the 160's, I am tempted too as well, but I might hold off till the newer Contour hits the streets here.
Do you mind my asking why you're still looking for a reference monitor? I thought between the C2s and the XEO 2s, you'd have "enough of a good thing". And then of course, we can't forget that you've got some 1.7s as well (unless you got rid of those recently).

post #29558 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked: 477
My gut tells me that C20 will take Focus 160 and build off it in two ways. 1) Better cabinet and cosmetics. 2) Take the voicing of Focus 160 and add better bass and mids and especially add higher end smoothness and refinement with Esotar2. Think a C1 with better bass than Focus 160 and think Special 25 that's easier to drive and pair with more equipment but also perhaps with not as much forward attack.
post #29559 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
Do you mind my asking why you're still looking for a reference monitor? I thought between the C2s and the XEO 2s, you'd have "enough of a good thing". And then of course, we can't forget that you've got some 1.7s as well (unless you got rid of those recently).
I won't presume to speak for Gar...but I would say "'cuz we're dumb"

I'm looking to do the same, to sit next to my PMC 20-26s. For the record...Sopra No.1, at the top of the list.
Garman likes this.

post #29560 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 12:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by roland150 View Post
Don't know what you will choose but those are really good

I was always wondering about this. Many, many Naim users suggest Naim sources going with Naim amps, so that the DIN connection can be used for the best result. I'm using ordinary RCA connection from my Rotel DAC. This DAC is in a quite big box and has its own power supply, but no ground wires. Does this combination somehow affect the sound quality?
In my experience the DIN vs RCA have negligible difference. I actually cannot hear any difference using my gear in my room.
In my opinion, one of the most important difference of a Naim source against many other designs is that they tie the signal ground to the mains/earth ground - the 'Infinite Sink'.
I think your Rotel will do a nice job. The 42s and the Nait are very good introduction to both brands. You will enjoy them, no doubt.
post #29561 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amatuerholic View Post
Simple: I want to get rid of 3 (Monitors) I have now and just have one Reference Monitor. I don't have time to keep on switching in and out stuff anymore, if I do this now or within 6 months, I will most likely save money in the long run. I would trade
(or sell) in my mint Contour 1.3 MKII in Brazilian Rosewood and the KEFs I have and go with a pair of Contours or possibly the Raidho XT-1/D1.1s. I would have pulled the trigger on the Raidho's now, but my company is being greedy and lowered our comp plan, after they tell me & us on how much of a stellar year we are having! "Bastards"

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinums (Mocca), Dynaudio Contour 20's (Grey Oak) KEF LS50 (Black), Magnepan 1.7i, Belles VT-01/MB-200s, NAD M10, Hegel, Musical Fidelity and various other good brands.. HT system: Dynaudio SCX Center, Dynaudio In-Walls for Surrounds and Sony VPL-295ES possibly a new Monitor in the future.
post #29562 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Intersting info here in regards to some comments of what people heard at the Show, in regards to the new Contour 20's..
Via Google Translate, from a Swedish magazine that recently gave a favorable review of 1.4LE:

https://translate.google.dk/translat...ter&edit-text=
Garman likes this.

Otto Jørgensen
Product Manager
Dynaudio A/S
post #29563 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Plus I can't find anything in the specs that say what tweeter they are using in the 1.4LE Some say it is the Esotar2 already?
I've seen this rumour pop up here and there, but it is simply not true. The 1.4 LE uses exactly the same D-280 variant as the original 1.4. Anyone with a spare parts price list on hand can verify this.

EDIT: Come to think of it, they do have different spare part numbers, due to the different color face plate. But it is the same driver.
GTaudiophile likes this.

Otto Jørgensen
Product Manager
Dynaudio A/S

Last edited by Otto J; 05-13-2016 at 10:51 PM.
post #29564 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

http://www.audioxpress.com/article/d...-high-end-2016

"...without a doubt, one of the best sounding systems we’ve heard in Munich..."

Who am i to argue ;-)
Garman, GTaudiophile and yonson like this.

Otto Jørgensen
Product Manager
Dynaudio A/S
post #29565 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto J View Post

Who am i to argue ;-)
Great review...come on October
yonson likes this.
post #29566 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Who am i to argue ;-)
Lots of good press! I can't wait to audition.

HiFi: Dynaudio Contour C20 (White Piano) | Schiit Modi Multibit DAC | NAIM SuperNait 3
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA-DIN | Tellurium Q Black
HeadFi: Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee | Schiit Fulla 3

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Focus 260 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 | NAIM SuperNait 2

post #29567 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I've seen this rumour pop up here and there, but it is simply not true. The 1.4 LE uses exactly the same D-280 variant as the original 1.4. Anyone with a spare parts price list on hand can verify this.
Thanks for the clarification, I have even seen it in some audio articles, but mostly in forums though, go figure! Glad to hear it coming directly from the source! I know what I may be waiting for then! Now is there going to be a Contour 40, sorry if I missed this some where in the Thread I heard it mentioned, and if so will it be out the same time as the rest of the new Contours?

post #29568 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Thanks all for the suggestions!

@GTaudiophile - budget limit is 10k. My constrain is really space (esp for the actual speakers). I do have rack space and as long as I am not putting monoblocks o the floor the wife won't really complain. For NAIM I will focus o SN2, but a bit hesitation on the proprietary cable system. Will check out Hegal and NAD.

@petetherock @Garman - my local Dynaudio dealer stocks MF and it is the only amp I was able to demo with the X34. I liked what I heard with the M6si and the 3k price tag also seems to offer a lot of value. It has all the inputs and include HT bypass. My dealer also paired it with a conture S1.4LE and the C2P and the M6si seems to handle them pretty well. I do find the plastic and colorfully labeled remote control detracts from the package.

@callas01 - thanks for the list! I am debating whether it make sense to go to the 10k level for a pair of 3k speakers. On one hand it make more sense to stay with the 3-5k choices. On the other hand my heart have a sof spot for tubes and both the octaves and vsi75 sounded really refined yet dynamic when I demo at the dealers. I am leaning now to start lower and reserve some budget for future upgrades, and getting an NDX or other file transport like the aurrender n10 or auralic Aries and a new DAC.

Cheers
worms1414 likes this.
post #29569 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
@kk169

I'd get a Job 225 power amp for the X34s.
post #29570 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
My previous W-B Vertex speakers had an absolutely black background in both time and space with no smear in either dimension and the best transient performance I've heard. I miss that. They weren't neutral enough for me to keep though.
Could you elaborate a little on the neutrality issue with the WB? Anything missing or sticking out on them?
post #29571 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk169 View Post

@GTaudiophile - budget limit is 10k. My constrain is really space (esp for the actual speakers). I do have rack space and as long as I am not putting monoblocks o the floor the wife won't really complain. For NAIM I will focus o SN2, but a bit hesitation on the proprietary cable system. Will check out Hegal and NAD.

@petetherock @Garman - my local Dynaudio dealer stocks MF and it is the only amp I was able to demo with the X34. I liked what I heard with the M6si and the 3k price tag also seems to offer a lot of value. It has all the inputs and include HT bypass. My dealer also paired it with a conture S1.4LE and the C2P and the M6si seems to handle them pretty well. I do find the plastic and colorfully labeled remote control detracts from the package.

@callas01 - thanks for the list! I am debating whether it make sense to go to the 10k level for a pair of 3k speakers. On one hand it make more sense to stay with the 3-5k choices. On the other hand my heart have a sof spot for tubes and both the octaves and vsi75 sounded really refined yet dynamic when I demo at the dealers. I am leaning now to start lower and reserve some budget for future upgrades, and getting an NDX or other file transport like the aurrender n10 or auralic Aries and a new DAC.

Cheers
If I had $10K to play with....hmmm...I think that the speaker should take the #1 spot in the food chain if you will. Meaning, the more you invest in your speakers, the better sound you'll achieve than at any other point in the chain. That's just me.

That said, I'd look into these options...options that could be purchased now.

1. I'd seriously consider that used $3K Hegel H300 (430wpc into 4 Ohms) and then spend ca. $7K on a pair of Dynaudio Focus 380s.
2. NAIM SuperNait2 ($5,500) plus Dynaudio Excite X44 ($5,500).
3. NAIM SuperNait2 ($5,500) plus Dynaudio Focus 260 ($2800) plus a cracking DAC like the Schiit Yiggy for $2200 or Chord Hugo.

HiFi: Dynaudio Contour C20 (White Piano) | Schiit Modi Multibit DAC | NAIM SuperNait 3
Cables: Chord Cobra VEE3 RCA-DIN | Tellurium Q Black
HeadFi: Sennheiser HD 58X Jubilee | Schiit Fulla 3

Past HiFi: Dynaudio Excite X16 | Dynaudio Focus 160 | Focus 260 | Harman Kardon HK3490 | NAIM XS2 | NAIM SuperNait 2

post #29572 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTaudiophile View Post
If I had $10K to play with....hmmm...I think that the speaker should take the #1 spot in the food chain if you will. Meaning, the more you invest in your speakers, the better sound you'll achieve than at any other point in the chain. That's just me.

That said, I'd look into these options...options that could be purchased now.

1. I'd seriously consider that used $3K Hegel H300 (430wpc into 4 Ohms) and then spend ca. $7K on a pair of Dynaudio Focus 380s.
2. NAIM SuperNait2 ($5,500) plus Dynaudio Excite X44 ($5,500).
3. NAIM SuperNait2 ($5,500) plus Dynaudio Focus 260 ($2800) plus a cracking DAC like the Schiit Yiggy for $2200 or Chord Hugo.
I second the Hegel brand, their Int. Amps are very nice and do a great job with Dynaudio. I am using one of their dacs HD12 and I am very impressed with it so far. The MF KW-500 Int. I have does 700wpc into a 4ohm load, best product I have ever purchased to date, got it for $2400, slightly used considering it is a 7K Int. Amp and built like a tank and the Sonics to boot.. I use to have it years ago, sold it to a Dr. friend of mine who barely used it, bought it back from him after trying dozens of other Amps/pre amps and Int. when you find some thing that matches up well, keep it! I also use a Rogue Tube Pre/Amp along with a rebuilt Amp which is pretty good, the A5 and 3.5 series is also very good match with the Dyns as well and now several on Audiogon.

post #29573 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Who am i to argue ;-)
Otto: looking at the Contour History through out the years pictures, I have owned every Contour on the list with the exceptions of 2 from 1986 till now..... The 1.4s and the Contour 2.1.. Last pair Contours I bought new was S5.4 before I went to the C4s then down to the C2s because of room constraints. I did pick up a pair of Contour 1.3MKII a year ago, they where a pair we installed "inside" a wall during a home theater upgrade we did for a guy. They were made from Brazilian Rosewood a tad darker, needless to say the owner sold his 1.4 Million dollar house and the previous owners went bankrupt and a friend was at the Estate Sale and sure enough, they where still behind the wall, the previous owners thought they were inwalls and never looked. Let's just say I got a mint pair at a pretty good rate..... Their is a lot more to this story of course!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_57-3.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	1437562  

post #29574 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk169 View Post

Cheers
I use a Naim Uniti2 to power my Focus 260s and my dealer has told me he's powered up to Contour 5.4s with it and was a great combo. Lots of power and drive in the U2. The U2 can stream music over UPnP, or network connection, plus from places like Spotify and Tidal, plus internet radio stations and a built-in CD player. Plus it's an Integrated amp, to me the simplicity of the whole unit and controlling it with my iPhone app takes it over the top!!

There's lots of great units out there, finding what's best for you is always fun, I love auditioning gear!!

IMO most of the amps in the $3k-5k price range will not only power the X34s but allow you to climb up the ladder of speakers as well.
post #29575 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 09:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Guys i might just hold off to the 3.4 LEs and wait for the Contour 30, my dealer will discuss with the rep on Monday and will find out at what step the 3.4LEs are from being shipped from Denmark, they told me you know what even if they are in transit we'll try to do something, I said if you can't it's not the end of the world but just seeing the newer pics from the Show and the first impressions, I think it would be great news for me if I could just change my order to the Contour 30 as retail is more-less the same as the 3.4 LE.

Crossing fingers here

Anthem MRX520, Bryston 6B-SST, Naim NAC 272 and 250 DR , Bel Canto DAC 3.5 VB, Totem Fires L/R Dusk, Totem Tribe III on wall Dusk , Mites Design Surrounds Dusk, JL Audio Fathom F113 Piano Black, Oppo UDP203. Totem Forest Signature High Gloss Mahogany, Dynaudio Contour 30 . BIS Audio, Nordost, Audioquest, Display Panasonic CX-800U 65''

Last edited by BigAl87; 05-13-2016 at 09:47 PM.
post #29576 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, I have even seen it in some audio articles, but mostly in forums though, go figure! Glad to hear it coming directly from the source! I know what I may be waiting for then! Now is there going to be a Contour 40, sorry if I missed this some where in the Thread I heard it mentioned, and if so will it be out the same time as the rest of the new Contours?
There are no current plans for a model between 30 and 60. In october we will introduce the three models shown, and later in the year the center channel. For now, that is the Contour lineup.

There is a lot of speculation here about a 40 year anniversary model, of which I have no comments.
GTaudiophile and yonson like this.

Otto Jørgensen
Product Manager
Dynaudio A/S
post #29577 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 11:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Otto: looking at the Contour History through out the years pictures, I have owned every Contour on the list with the exceptions of 2 from 1986 till now.....
You're making me jealous. I'll go listen to the Consequence for a bit, just to make me feel better
Garman, GTaudiophile and yonson like this.

Otto Jørgensen
Product Manager
Dynaudio A/S
post #29578 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 953
If I had 10k I would still wait for the new Contour, and also upgrade my amp, to something from MF that has 200w and up..
worms1414 likes this.
post #29579 of 47372 Old 05-13-2016, 11:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked: 953
@ Red MC

When I compared the LE, Contour 1.4 and C1s, I wasn't interested in SPL / massive bass output, so I didn't pay attention to that. Refinement was what I am after, and the C1P had the right sound.
YMMV. Since you have a C2, it gives a different sound from a bookshelf speaker, and what you want may be different. I had a 804D, but whilst it had more bass, it could not integrate well into my small room, and the bass/mid/treble integration was more discordant.

Now the C1P gives tighter sound, less SPL perhaps / thump, but it has a sweeter treble, and closer to the sound I want. And initially I first that my Marantz PM 11 will not be able to drive the 4ohm 85 DB design well, but it had plenty of headroom, and mind you, I usually listen at < 60db anyways. So it's about vocals, guitars and less about thump, rock and irritating my neighbours

Plus I wanted a HT system that I can build on, and the C Platinum centre is my gold standard for a centre, and since it was basically two C1ps together, I had HT integration worked out too.
OctaDyn_Dude likes this.
post #29580 of 47372 Old 05-14-2016, 02:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
@ Red MC

When I compared the LE, Contour 1.4 and C1s, I wasn't interested in SPL / massive bass output, so I didn't pay attention to that. Refinement was what I am after, and the C1P had the right sound.
YMMV. Since you have a C2, it gives a different sound from a bookshelf speaker, and what you want may be different. I had a 804D, but whilst it had more bass, it could not integrate well into my small room, and the bass/mid/treble integration was more discordant.

Now the C1P gives tighter sound, less SPL perhaps / thump, but it has a sweeter treble, and closer to the sound I want. And initially I first that my Marantz PM 11 will not be able to drive the 4ohm 85 DB design well, but it had plenty of headroom, and mind you, I usually listen at < 60db anyways. So it's about vocals, guitars and less about thump, rock and irritating my neighbours

Plus I wanted a HT system that I can build on, and the C Platinum centre is my gold standard for a centre, and since it was basically two C1ps together, I had HT integration worked out too.
Wow Pete,that is very low volume,i just got my i pad out to see how loud that is...and it actually says on there that 60 db's is an average normal conversation,so i set the volume to 60 db's,i hope you crank it up from time to time...i just had the c1 p's at home for a week,also owned the mk 11's for about 2 years,to me they really come alive around 70-80 db's.Awesome speaker,in any event...i wonder if the used market will be flooded with c1's with the impending release of the new contour?If it does,i highly recommend grabbing a pair to anyone looking for an upgrade,just make sure you have enough amp to drive them.There is a guy on the Naim forum talking about how he thought the c1 room was the best sounding at the recent Chicago show,the thing is,he listed the equipment driving them,and it added up to about 80 grand,another reason i traded mine on the xd 600's...i felt that they needed much better amplification than i was using at the time...anyway,cheers mate.
http://cdn.stereophile.com/images/04...sephAV-600.jpg
yonson likes this.

Last edited by no quarter; 05-14-2016 at 02:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Dynaudio , dynaudio confidence , dynaudio contours , Dynaudio Focus Powered Monitor Speakers , Speaker Systems , thereore

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page