Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread - Page 223 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 281Likes

post #6661 of 7810 Old 01-21-2015, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius View Post
Bass and treble tone controls are always an option. I've noticed that by crossing over my Chorus 826Vs around 65 Hz and up they are very good sounding speakers. If you have an AVR and can use its built in crossover settings that would work too. Some AVRs allow a high pass as low as 60 Hz, which I would think would work well.

Also, some preamps (Parasound Halo P5 & Emotiva XSP-1, for example) have bass management. I can't help but think this is the best way to squeeze the most out of one's system. The downside is it represents just one more piece of gear to purchase. The Crown XLS Drivecore amps I use for mains and subs have adjustable built in crossover settings, which work splendidly.

I have a pair of Chorus 706Vs sitting on my desk as computer speakers. I've cut some small eggcarton foam rubber, rolled it up and put it in the ports to minimize that first reflection off of the desk. It seems to work. I haven't tried it on the 826V towers in my living room though.
Thanks. Yes, i have an Arcam AVR 750 so it has settings to reduce / increase the Bass/Treeble in DBs.

Yeah, the crossover would redirect the low frequencies to the sub, and allow better control of the bass output ...but my idea is to use the towers in stereo and only use a subwoffer to Home Theatre 5.1. My room is just 270ft2 (25m2) and i wonder if i will get too much bass with the 936...but also wonder if the 926 will go deep enough for music in stereo 2.0.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6662 of 7810 Old 01-21-2015, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPoser View Post
Doctor Morbius,

Not sure your exact location in Indy and how far you are from Chicago, but Indy is about two hours from http://www.hansonav.com/ in Dayton, OH. (You're over an hour closer than I am...)

Hanson Audio has always been very helpful to me when I have visited. They carry Simaudio Moon which is the best I have auditioned on a set of Electra's, IMO... But Moon is pricey!
They were trying hard to get me to take Moon gear home with ME, they said they would put a hold on my credit card. I finally declined because I knew if I went home with it, it wouldn't be going back to the store...lol
(A few years back, Hanson Audio had a theater set up with Focal Utopia series and I think Bryson electronics, but I actually liked the sound of the Electras with Moon electronics better.)

If you drive to Dayton and want to check out other speakers and electronics, I would also suggest http://audioetc.tv/ . They have a lot on display and many different rooms. The down side, their employees have always seemed lazy and not very friendly when I have visited which made me not want to buy anything from them...lol (Maybe you would have better luck.)

If you are into DIY, you may want to visit https://www.parts-express.com/ which is just a few miles south on I-75 from Dayton.
Thanks Super! My next pair of speakers may be DIY. There are a couple of designs by Jeff Bagby that have me intrigued. One is the Solstice and the other is the Adelphos. Being a single guy and not having to contend with any WAF I can leave them in raw MDF too.
SuperPoser likes this.

post #6663 of 7810 Old 01-21-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_P View Post
...but also wonder if the 926 will go deep enough for music in stereo 2.0.
If you listen to acoustic music, such as classical and jazz, the answer is yes. If you listen to electronic, rap and processed music, the answer is not so much.

After having farted around with this myself in the past few weeks, my take is let the speakers play the music and let the sub(s) do their job and carry the low end. In addition to that, the best place in your room for mid and high frequencies may not be the ideal position for low frequency due to room modes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6664 of 7810 Old 01-21-2015, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thanks Super! My next pair of speakers may be DIY. There are a couple of designs by Jeff Bagby that have me intrigued. One is the Solstice and the other is the Adelphos. Being a single guy and not having to contend with any WAF I can leave them in raw MDF too.
You're welcome.
Goodluck and have fun with your speaker build(s) if you go that route. ;o)
post #6665 of 7810 Old 01-21-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
If you listen to acoustic music, such as classical and jazz, the answer is yes. If you listen to electronic, rap and processed music, the answer is not so much.

After having farted around with this myself in the past few weeks, my take is let the speakers play the music and let the sub(s) do their job and carry the low end. In addition to that, the best place in your room for mid and high frequencies may not be the ideal position for low frequency due to room modes.
I listen to many kinds of music...alternative / indie, folk, Rock, Pop, acustic, folk, some electronic, world, jazz, Contemporaty Classic.

I agree the subwoofer is better to handle low frequencies...buy my AVR has a Stereo Direct that gives slighty better results in stereo, but doesn't allow any EQ or subwoofer. To use the subwoofer i have to use the Stereo mode, and not the Stereo Direct.
post #6666 of 7810 Old 01-21-2015, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1156 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Focal - JM Lab Owner's Thread

Quote:
I listen to many kinds of music...alternative / indie, folk, Rock, Pop, acustic, folk, some electronic, world, jazz, Contemporaty Classic.

I agree the subwoofer is better to handle low frequencies...buy my AVR has a Stereo Direct that gives slighty better results in stereo, but doesn't allow any EQ or subwoofer. To use the subwoofer i have to use the Stereo mode, and not the Stereo Direct.

Which Avr do you use? If it's a denon, the DeRemote app will let you toggle the sub on/off regardless of the sound mode you're in. Nevermind, think you're using a sony. I'm out of ideas.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html

Last edited by ambesolman; 01-21-2015 at 02:23 PM.
post #6667 of 7810 Old 01-21-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPoser View Post
Doctor Morbius,

Not sure your exact location in Indy and how far you are from Chicago, but Indy is about two hours from http://www.hansonav.com/ in Dayton, OH. (You're over an hour closer than I am...)

Hanson Audio has always been very helpful to me when I have visited. They carry Simaudio Moon which is the best I have auditioned on a set of Electra's, IMO... But Moon is pricey!
They were trying hard to get me to take Moon gear home with ME, they said they would put a hold on my credit card. I finally declined because I knew if I went home with it, it wouldn't be going back to the store...lol
(A few years back, Hanson Audio had a theater set up with Focal Utopia series and I think Bryson electronics, but I actually liked the sound of the Electras with Moon electronics better.)

If you drive to Dayton and want to check out other speakers and electronics, I would also suggest http://audioetc.tv/ . They have a lot on display and many different rooms. The down side, their employees have always seemed lazy and not very friendly when I have visited which made me not want to buy anything from them...lol (Maybe you would have better luck.)

If you are into DIY, you may want to visit https://www.parts-express.com/ which is just a few miles south on I-75 from Dayton.
wow...for someone so far away, you really nailed the audio scene here in dayton.

hanson audio has been my store of choice for about 5 yrs now (bought all my focal setup there)...after nearly 20 yrs at audio etc.

for a city of dayton's size the options are many, with cincy and columbus just a short drive away.
SuperPoser likes this.
post #6668 of 7810 Old 01-22-2015, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skgolfer View Post
FYI, I noticed that there is a pair of Focal 1028BEs on Audiogon used listed at $5699 but as they are used I think there must be room for negotiation. You may want to look into those. Awesome speakers.
I would say this is too high price at the moment for the used speakers. I am not sure why the retail prices in the US were not corrected based on the currency exchange rate US dollar vs Euro.
For example one can buy a pair of black lacquer 1028 BE for 6000 EUR as of today or 5000 EUR without the tax (Austria). That's $6594 or $5795 without the tax for a pair of brand new Focals.
scirica and SuperPoser like this.
post #6669 of 7810 Old 01-31-2015, 02:20 PM

Well just ordered the Aria 936 and the center cc900...

In a month or so...i will expand this to a 5 speaker system...i will probably get the Arias 905 instead of the 906 (that i think are too big for surround duties...)

Anyone has any opinions on the Arias 905/906 used as surround speakers ?
post #6670 of 7810 Old 02-01-2015, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 59
JPP I'm jealous, congrats on the Arias. Speaking for myself only and at the risk of sounding like a 2.0 purist i find that it is kind of a waste of money to buy Focals and reroute the bass to a sub when listening to music. I only have 816v and i simply love the tight and detailed bass for music. For home cinema that's another thing. To each his own, have fun with the 936s. I had the chance to audition the 948 on 40 000$ worth of electronics in a dedicated room. Pure bliss.
scirica and dedobot like this.

Focal Aria 936, 807V, SVS PB2000, OPPO 103D, MRX 500, Simaudio Moon Neo 280D, Yamaha AS-2100, Rega Planar 3, Moon 110lp.
post #6671 of 7810 Old 02-01-2015, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francky View Post
JPP I'm jealous, congrats on the Arias. Speaking for myself only and at the risk of sounding like a 2.0 purist i find that it is kind of a waste of money to buy Focals and reroute the bass to a sub when listening to music. I only have 816v and i simply love the tight and detailed bass for music. For home cinema that's another thing. To each his own, have fun with the 936s. I had the chance to audition the 948 on 40 000$ worth of electronics in a dedicated room. Pure bliss.
Thanks for your reply.

My ideia is to use the 936 for music in stereo 2.0 and only use the 5.0 or 5.1 configuration for movies. My Arcam 750 has a Direct Analog Stereo Mode that gives the best sound quality in 2.0 (but doesn't allow EQ or any change to the sound like using a subwoofer)...of course it also has another Stereo mode that can / or not use a subwoofer.

I want to see how the 936 behaves in my room specially in the bass department and then make a decision to buy or not a subwoofer...if i buy one it will be probably a SVS SB2000....but my ideia is to only use it for Movies.
post #6672 of 7810 Old 02-01-2015, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Thanks for your reply.

My ideia is to use the 936 for music in stereo 2.0 and only use the 5.0 or 5.1 configuration for movies. My Arcam 750 has a Direct Analog Stereo Mode that gives the best sound quality in 2.0 (but doesn't allow EQ or any change to the sound like using a subwoofer)...of course it also has another Stereo mode that can / or not use a subwoofer.

I want to see how the 936 behaves in my room specially in the bass department and then make a decision to buy or not a subwoofer...if i buy one it will be probably a SVS SB2000....but my ideia is to only use it for Movies.

there is a lotta music that actually benefits from using a sub...

chicago's "i'm a man"

emmy lou harris' "deeper well"

of montreals "wraith pinned to the mist..."

daft punks "something about us" (really anything by daft punk)

dire straits "the mans too strong"

holly cole's "train song" and "jersey girls"

...are some examples of songs that unveil depth and drama when played back with a sub in the setup.

much of the time tho, i DO play my 836w's in direct mode...just sayin' its always good to have a sub at the ready!
post #6673 of 7810 Old 02-01-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post
there is a lotta music that actually benefits from using a sub...

chicago's "i'm a man"

emmy lou harris' "deeper well"

of montreals "wraith pinned to the mist..."

daft punks "something about us" (really anything by daft punk)

dire straits "the mans too strong"

holly cole's "train song" and "jersey girls"

...are some examples of songs that unveil depth and drama when played back with a sub in the setup.

much of the time tho, i DO play my 836w's in direct mode...just sayin' its always good to have a sub at the ready!
Thanks.

Yeah... the 936 goes to 32 hz i think....but maybe it will benefict from a subwoofer in some musics...i will only know after i use in my room. And the sub will probably deal with the Bass better Maybe i will get some "boomy" bass since i can't place the speakers too far from the back wall... How do you guys cross the speakers/sub ? 80 hz ? 60 hz ?
post #6674 of 7810 Old 02-01-2015, 06:24 PM

Currently i'm using a Anthem MRX500 and ARC set the crossover at 60hz but my 816v dont go as low as 936. I have to say that Anthem's bass management is excellent so i'm not playin around with it. The result is impressive. Oh and if you want to listen to something that benefits from using a sub with music try Pink Floyd, Division Bell the whole album. Goose bumps garanteed.
scirica and J_P_P like this.

Focal Aria 936, 807V, SVS PB2000, OPPO 103D, MRX 500, Simaudio Moon Neo 280D, Yamaha AS-2100, Rega Planar 3, Moon 110lp.
post #6675 of 7810 Old 02-01-2015, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Currently i'm using a Anthem MRX500 and ARC set the crossover at 60hz but my 816v dont go as low as 936. I have to say that Anthem's bass management is excellent so i'm not playin around with it. The result is impressive. Oh and if you want to listen to something that benefits from using a sub with music try Pink Floyd, Division Bell the whole album. Goose bumps garanteed.
Thanks...just went to the SVS site, and their Merlin (Speaker and Sub Matching) link recommends crossing the 936 at 60 Hz with an AV receiver. They also recommend the SVS SB13 or the PB13, for these speakers...but those are a little too expensive for me...maybe the SB2000 will do...since my room is only 270ft2 (25m2)
post #6676 of 7810 Old 02-02-2015, 03:06 AM

I'm using a PB2000 near field , 4 feet behind main listening position because or room config. Cant go wrong with SVS subs. I simply love it.
J_P_P likes this.

post #6677 of 7810 Old 02-02-2015, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
I'm using a PB2000 near field , 4 feet behind main listening position because or room config. Cant go wrong with SVS subs. I simply love it.
I agree. I have 6 SVS subs (4 PB13 Ultras and 2 PB12 Pluses with an ASEQ1 so they are all phased correctly and flat) firing along with my Electra HT speakers.
J_P_P likes this.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
post #6678 of 7810 Old 02-02-2015, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post
I agree. I have 6 SVS subs (4 PB13 Ultras and 2 PB12 Pluses with an ASEQ1 so they are all phased correctly and flat) firing along with my Electra HT speakers.
WOW, are you trying to open San Andrea's falt???
J_P_P likes this.

post #6679 of 7810 Old 02-02-2015, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
WOW, are you trying to open San Andrea's falt???
I wish I lived in California.

post #6680 of 7810 Old 02-02-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m1010 View Post
I wish I lived in California.
Tell me about it, it's -25c without the wind factor this morning..... At least i have an excuse to stay indoors and listen to my stuff.
J_P_P likes this.

post #6681 of 7810 Old 02-02-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Tell me about it, it's -25c without the wind factor this morning..... At least i have an excuse to stay indoors and listen to my stuff.
yup I'm with you. I live near Ottawa and it has been one cold winter.

post #6682 of 7810 Old 02-06-2015, 02:27 PM

Someone on another forum posted a pic of a crossover from a Focal Chorus 826V. Nothing too special here. Looks like there might be a mylar cap for the tweeter. Everything else is pretty standard fare.

post #6683 of 7810 Old 02-06-2015, 02:36 PM

It seems that Focal , has the Bass Drivers of the Arias and probably other Focal Speakers (?) Out of phase/ Polarity...

http://andreweverard.com/2013/08/31/...-loudspeakers/ ... see the comments

"Sorry to defuse your revelation, but yes, the bass units are wired incorrectly in absolute polarity terms – and quite deliberately.

Like most Focal designs, the Aria 926 uses a second order crossover, and to get the best ‘knit’ between midband and low frequency in the crossover area requires one of the drivers to be ‘out of phase’. Focal chose to make the bass drivers the out of phase element in order to keep the critical midband in phase with other speakers in a multichannel system.

This kind of approach is quite common in real-world speaker design.

By the way, your assertion that ‘Not only does this make speakers sound off in many ways but it can seriously harm high current amplifiers’ is technically completely wrong.

So while we may have to differ in our subjective impressions of the speakers – I assume the pair you have has been run in? – what your 9V battery ‘test’ has discovered is not poor quality control, but an intrinsic part of the design of the speakers.
"

Does this means that if you use a Subwoofer you should set the Phase control to 180 , instead of 0, to get best results ? Anyone tried this ?
dedobot likes this.
post #6684 of 7810 Old 02-07-2015, 02:44 PM

Just got my ARIAs 936 and central cc900, still "burning in"...i have to say coming from B&W 600 s2 that this is another level...much much much more detail, vivid and trasparent, and dynamic...the sound seems "to float". The Mids and Highs are super smooth but punchy and detailed, crispy and the same time, without it becoming "bright" or "harsh". They really work well with my Arcam 750.

I was afraid of the Bass perfomance being too much for my small room of 270ft2 (25m2) ...but not at all...not a sight of it being Boomy, at least for now ...i only have them 20 cm from the back wall.The Bass is controled , it seems deep and tight, but it's not "in your face" of "fat" at all.
Not sure if this is due more to the Speakers or the Arcam...but they really seem to "work well" together.
post #6685 of 7810 Old 02-07-2015, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirekti View Post
I would say this is too high price at the moment for the used speakers. I am not sure why the retail prices in the US were not corrected based on the currency exchange rate US dollar vs Euro.
For example one can buy a pair of black lacquer 1028 BE for 6000 EUR as of today or 5000 EUR without the tax (Austria). That's $6594 or $5795 without the tax for a pair of brand new Focals.

You just answered your own question. US retailer not adjusting the price with the currency and for good reason. You cannot have hi-end audio products tracking the ever changing currency price.

BTW, that used pair was sold pretty quickly. LOL
post #6686 of 7810 Old 02-07-2015, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Is denon reciever amplifier a good combination with focal aria series?I know people use denon always combination with bowers and wilkin ?I m newbie with focal speakers and went to audition a pair last week and now fall in love with the sound and quality of the speaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6687 of 7810 Old 02-07-2015, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Just got my ARIAs 936 and central cc900, still "burning in"...i have to say coming from B&W 600 s2 that this is another level...much much much more detail, vivid and trasparent, and dynamic...the sound seems "to float". The Mids and Highs are super smooth but punchy and detailed, crispy and the same time, without it becoming "bright" or "harsh". They really work well with my Arcam 750.

I was afraid of the Bass perfomance being too much for my small room of 270ft2 (25m2) ...but not at all...not a sight of it being Boomy, at least for now ...i only have them 20 cm from the back wall.The Bass is controled , it seems deep and tight, but it's not "in your face" of "fat" at all.
Not sure if this is due more to the Speakers or the Arcam...but they really seem to "work well" together.
The best I have ever heard Focal was on Arcam and Aesthetix. Not surprised by this observation.
J_P_P likes this.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #6688 of 7810 Old 02-08-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
The best I have ever heard Focal was on Arcam and Aesthetix. Not surprised by this observation.
I also had an oppurtunity to listen to a pair of Arias 926 with Naim Superuniti2 , and altough Focal and Naim belong to the same group, i didn't enjoyed it so much...not sure if it was due to the room...but it sounded too forward/ agressive and without as much detail as with an Arcam.
And the Bass sounded too boomy, altough the 926s has one less Bass driver than my 936s. With the Arcam at least the bass is much more tight and controled (altough the room might had some influence there) ...even considering we are talking about 2 slighty different models.

It's a matter of taste, i think

Regarding Denon + Arias...i'd suggest you try, we all hear differently ... I'd expect the combination of Denon+B&W to be slighty more Neutral than the Focal+Aria that will be probably a little more Bright (but not overly so...).

I auditioned a few other speakers... Kef R, Monitor Audio Silver , Sonus Faber Venere, B&W CM.
The ones i thought worked better with Arcam were the B&W CM and the Arias...i decided going for the Arias because in the end they were more to my taste.
post #6689 of 7810 Old 02-09-2015, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
I also had an oppurtunity to listen to a pair of Arias 926 with Naim Superuniti2 , and altough Focal and Naim belong to the same group, i didn't enjoyed it so much...not sure if it was due to the room...but it sounded too forward/ agressive and without as much detail as with an Arcam.
And the Bass sounded too boomy, altough the 926s has one less Bass driver than my 936s. With the Arcam at least the bass is much more tight and controled (altough the room might had some influence there) ...even considering we are talking about 2 slighty different models.

It's a matter of taste, i think

Regarding Denon + Arias...i'd suggest you try, we all hear differently ... I'd expect the combination of Denon+B&W to be slighty more Neutral than the Focal+Aria that will be probably a little more Bright (but not overly so...).

I auditioned a few other speakers... Kef R, Monitor Audio Silver , Sonus Faber Venere, B&W CM.
The ones i thought worked better with Arcam were the B&W CM and the Arias...i decided going for the Arias because in the end they were more to my taste.
There are those running around here at AVS that say all amps sound the same. They certainly dont. And I second the idea that matching is important. I love Dynaudio and I love Simaudio. Put the two together and hold on to your ears, bright bright bright. I do not know why this happens but synergy is reality.
J_P_P likes this.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #6690 of 7810 Old 02-09-2015, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

A small part of me wants to get rid of my Electra 1028Be2 and get a pair of Aria 936. The Aria line is such a great performer.
J_P_P likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Focal , Focal 705v , Focal 706v Chorus Loudspeakers , Focal 716v Floor Standing Speakers , focal aria , focal aria 936 , Focal Chorus 726v Floorstanding Speaker Light Walnut , Focal Chorus 836 V , focal electra

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page