AVS Forum banner
1M views 9K replies 891 participants last post by  Geoff4RFC 
#1 ·
After some careful consideration, we have decided to pick up Focal, previously called JM Lab. I know their Utopias are considered a reference speaker worldwide. I would love some feedback on this speaker line from all you owners or perspective owners. Here in Southern California there seems to be a shortage of quality retailers that work with the product line.

I recently heard the Profile 918's at Tweeter the other day. They are gorgeous looking, and they sounded good, but I felt they wanted more. But, I attribute it to the Denon receiver, which are definately not the best for demonstrating a speakers performance. Hopefully our Parasound, Bryston, and Arcam gear will open them up.

I am interested in all your views on not only the Profile line, but also the Electra 1000 line, and beyond.

The new Chorus 800 line looks to be very promising as well. Thanks!

#2 ·
Sweet. I guess most people know how I feel about JM/Focal
. The very first time I heard the Grand Utopia's and then every line under that I knew that they were great. I always ended up it those rooms. They just sounded great with all different kinds of electronics. When I heard them at audio shows, again, I loved them. Right now I have a pair of 1027Be's, a cc-901 and a SW900.

I first had the 927's. I would always listen to the 926's. I liked them also. But when I heard that JM was going to make a limited ed speaker with a Be tweeter, I got them without even listening to them. They really suited me well. But then I heard the rumblings. On this site, and my contact at JM. Everything I heard said that the 1027's were scary good. So when the chance of a life time came about, I jumped at the chance. OH MY
. These are just plain incredible. The sound that I am getting now out of my system is just plain scary. From the very low lows, which I have in abundance now, through the mids and vocals, up to the high highs are just plain silly good.

I have been a fan of JM since I started learning certain facts about them from my contact. I think they make a great great product. I will be a fan for a very long time. I can't see myself trading out these 1027's in this system, ever. I could go on but I digress... For now

#4 ·
"Hopefully our Parasound, Bryston, and Arcam gear will open them up"

I just noticed this line. I think it's funny because I am using a Bryston 4b-ST, and 5b-ST with a Halo(parasound) C2 as a preamp for my setup. It sounds killer.

If I can guess what Audio meant by that is that the speakers wanted more and better quality power behind them.

#5 ·
I was in the same boat as MIKEDUKE. I had the older JM 926 and purchased the new 927's be without listening.

I traded them in for the new 1027 with even hearing them.

I have 1027be paired with Utopia center channel. This setup is absolutely the best I have ever owned. ( I also have another room with PSB Platinum setup )

You wont go wrong witht he 1027 and all of the gear that you have.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega /forum/post/0

AudioArchitect,

Can you provide more insight on what you mean by they wanted more?

Thanks

Bruce

Well I would say most "audiophiles" would agree that Denon receivers are not the best power source for these speakers. The dealer that I had heard them at first was using Denon, and both my girlfriend and I could tell right off the bat that they needed better power to open up. The bass was suprisingly tight and plentiful, but the mids needed to open up, and the highs seemed canned. I think a good Bryston or Parasound amp would really make these shine.

BTW, I did hear the 1027 Be, and all I can say is wow!

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke /forum/post/0

"Hopefully our Parasound, Bryston, and Arcam gear will open them up"

I just noticed this line. I think it's funny because I am using a Bryston 4b-ST, and 5b-ST with a Halo(parasound) C2 as a preamp for my setup. It sounds killer.

If I can guess what Audio meant by that is that the speakers wanted more and better quality power behind them.

You have very good taste in electronics

Any fancy cabling at all? I only use Nordost myself.

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect /forum/post/0

You have very good taste in electronics

Any fancy cabling at all? I only use Nordost myself.

Thanks. I have managed to find great synergy with my choice of components.

Fancy,

Well lets see:

My speaker wire is Plus level Transparent audio cable

My balanced inter-connects are Transparent audio plus and one pair of

Kubala Sosna Fasanation level balanced inter-connects

MY 5.1 for SACD and DVD-A is Transparent audio

and a Transparent sub cable.

It all adds up to some serious $$$$

I bought the 1027's without even hearing them. I know I know. But from my conversations with my contact at JM and posts here, I knew it would not be a mistake. And like I said, the deal was way to go to pass up. I am so weak

#9 ·
i have looked at the profiles and i just cannot make terms with the inverted triangle housing the tweeter driver.

psychologically an inverted triangle like this is unstable.

utopia, electra and the new 800v series have no such design

imho the 1027be more pleasant to my ears than the sophia and 802d (twice the price)

#10 ·
i have looked at the profiles and i just cannot make terms with the inverted triangle housing the tweeter driver.

psychologically an inverted triangle with one sharp end pointing downwards is unstable.

utopia, electra and the new 800v series have no such design

imho the 1027be is more pleasant to my ears than the sophia and 802d

#11 ·
I think the profile was designed for a certain "look". Maybe more of a contemporary look that would be more room friendly. I think that some people did not like the original "Time Aligned" look. This was a try at getting something more pleasing to the eye, I think. Now personally, I happed to have liked the way the old electras

looked . But I do think it was an attempt to create a more pleasing addition to the room. A "Life Style" speaker, so to speak.

#15 ·
yea the price difference says it all

micro utopia be bass and mid tighter and deeper and treble seems smoother. probably different magnets, materials and designs of the drivers

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect /forum/post/0

I am assembling our first demonstration order so Im trying to get some opinions on the best models to demonstrate.

There arent many dealers that actually have the Utopia series to listen to, even here in San Diego.

What models do you have available? Something in the Electra range would be good no doubt, but maybe if you could get the new Chorus 800 V, it would be cool. Just to show what JM can do at a lower price point. But if you demonstrate the 1027's well, which you should be able to do with the equipment you have, I predict some checkbooks will be open at the end of the day. If you have access to Utopia's then a 1027 VS Diva or Alto should be on the menu.

#19 ·
I just thought I would chime in that I am very happy with my Focal powered monitors. I currently have a pair of the Twin6s and a single Solo6 for the center channel. I am driving them with balanced outs from a Arcam AVP 700.

My rear speakers are NHT SuperZeros (space constraints). I will be moving soon and am considering going with a full 5.1 powered monitor setup (a additional Twin6 for the center and a Solo6 for surround).

#20 ·
I have never heard the Solo's. Maybe because they seem to be "professional" models. But that is great that you are happy with them. The fact that they are powered should maybe make them easier to connect. Also a total system may be a bit cheaper since you don't need an amp. An all Solo setup should be sweet.

#22 ·
I guess your are right. But still not having to get amps, some people may consider that a positive. I am guessing that installation could be less complicated? I have never had fully powered speakers before. But I am glad that this option is out there for people to see as well. Again, they look real nice. I guess as far as the cost went, I was going from my point of view. Both HT pre's that I have dealt with have always had balanced connections and that is what I use. But if not, I can see that it would not be as cost effective as I originally alluded to.

#23 ·
I would agree that the Focal Powered monitors are a very good value. You don't need to worry about amplifiers or speaker cables. It takes the guesswork about how much power is required out of the equation. You also don't have to worry about "All Channels Driven" power ratings. You know exactly how much power each individual driver is getting. I believe the Outlaw 990 processor has balanced outs and it retails for around $1000. I paid a bit more for my AVP 700, but it is still less then a pair of the Twin6s.

#25 ·
Yes I have one system that I use about 50/50 for music and HT. I previously had Magnepan speakers which were great for music, but I found that they lacked impact for HT. The Twin6s that I have for the L/R mains have 400 watts RMS each (100 tweeter / 150 each 6.5" woofer) so they are quite dynamic. Maximum output is listed at 115db so full reference level is possible.

#26 ·
400 watts? powered? That sounds like a great setup. These should definitely be considered as an option for more people. I think many people like the idea of having powered speakers. Glad to see that these are ones to really look at. I know you mentioned the MSRP another time, but what it it again?