Revel Owners Thread - Page 270 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4785Likes

post #8071 of 15287 Old 03-07-2016, 01:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
How so? I have rx8 based MA setup. I feel they're more alike than different. When I heard the f208, I thought it sounded similarly neutral, which is one of the MA's best traits IMO.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
I am only stating my opinion and I understand if others feel differently. IMHO, the F208 sounds much better - smoother, more dynamic etc. Also the C208 center channel really makes the Performa3 a nice choice for movies as I think it's one of the better center channels - it's huge at 52 lbs and can match the dynamics of the F208s.
John Schuermann likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 15287 Old 03-07-2016, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdec View Post
I am only stating my opinion and I understand if others feel differently. IMHO, the F208 sounds much better - smoother, more dynamic etc. Also the C208 center channel really makes the Performa3 a nice choice for movies as I think it's one of the better center channels - it's huge at 52 lbs and can match the dynamics of the F208s.

I agree the f208 could have better dynamics due to the larger drivers and the 3 way center would be better than the 2 way silver. Just not sure how noticeable the difference would be (except dialogue) with just HT. Also depends on what xo is used.

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #8073 of 15287 Old 03-07-2016, 04:41 PM
Advanced Member

How much the difference really depends on the person. It's a huge difference to me and honestly since most people can't go backwards in sound quality, I couldn't live with the MA silvers now. Whereas several years ago when I had Deftech speakers, the MA would have been a nice upgrade.

For my wife, HTIB is good enough and all this is a waste of money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8074 of 15287 Old 03-07-2016, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1157 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Quote:
How much the difference really depends on the person. It's a huge difference to me and honestly since most people can't go backwards in sound quality,
Very true
Quote:
I couldn't live with the MA silvers now. Whereas several years ago when I had Deftech speakers, the MA would have been a nice upgrade.

For my wife, HTIB is good enough and all this is a waste of money.

Haha, same here, but what do they know? Keeps us in the house!

"Rockbiter" DO SI18 sub build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...o-si-18-a.html
Ambesolman's Cleverly Titled Theater build - https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-de...ter-build.html
post #8075 of 15287 Old 03-08-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 2001 Post(s)
Liked: 2497
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack616 View Post
Thoughts on the Revel Performa3 F208 & Matching C208 for 100% HOME THEATER?
You would literally have some of the best speakers available for home theater or music. As Kevin Voecks at Harman often points out, there is an awful lot of music in movies! I'm a part time film composer, so I love that comment

As suggested by another in this thread, you could consider some JBL products if you like the idea of having compression drivers for even greater dynamics. The compression drivers in many (but not all) JBL speakers can supply a bit more in the way of visceral impact than what you get out of a dome tweeter, like you would find in the Revels. However, to get the kind of incredibly smooth and flat response out of JBL that you would get out of a Revel F208 / C208 combo means investing in some of the higher end JBL speakers like the LSR705 / 708 or M2, which require specific amplification and DSP. And, it's not as if the Revels don't have very impressive dynamics on their own!

Personally, I think that the combo would be an excellent choice - literally one of the best available at any price

John Schuermann
The Screening Room Home Theater Sales and Design
JS Music and Sound Film Scoring and Sound Design
post #8076 of 15287 Old 03-08-2016, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You won't regret it. My buddy had those speakers so I'm pretty familiar with them. The Revels are a huge step up.

To save money, you may be able to go with the new Concerta2 for surrounds.
As I've posted in this thread before, my business partner and I heard the new Concerta2 M16s being double blind tested against comparably priced Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers (as well as models from KEF and Polk) at Harman Academy back in August. The Revels were the clear winner. Of course, this is not an apples to apples comparison, as we are talking Concerta2 instead of Performa3, and comparing bookshelf models. However, the Performa3s are a distinct step up from even the Concerta2s.

We discussed the idea of using Concerta2 S16s for surrounds (and Revel C763L in-ceilings for ATMOS) with the higher ups when we visited the Harman booth at CES. It was stated that the Concerta2 surrounds would be a good match for the Performas, so your suggestion is a good one When Revel created the Concerta2, the Performa3 was the performance target, and when the Performa was created, the Salon was the performance target. It's easy to see why a certain degree of mixing and matching is perfectly acceptable within the Revel lineup.
acommonsoul likes this.

John Schuermann
post #8077 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm in the market for some floor standing speakers in the $1,500 ~ $2,000 price range so I was interested to learn about the Revel Concerta 2 series. I found a dealer with a pair of the F36 available for demo so I went for a listen. I don't have any previous experience with Revel so I went in without expectations.
In general I liked the speakers but I had a problem with some characteristics.

Liked:
Looked much better in person than the marketing pictures on Revel website would have you believe
Nicely crankable - the speakers maintained their characteristics when going from low to high volume
Sounded very good in the mids

Disliked:
Acoustic bass did not seem as tight / focused as I'd like
Vocals seemed somewhat recessed
Treble seemed a bit forward, so cymbals appear to be in front of the vocalist

I asked the dealer how long the speakers had been on the floor and was told that they probably had around 20 hours on them.

So for those who are familiar with the Revel sound and characteristics, is this a typical example of the Revel sound? Do they change much in presentation with use / over time?
post #8078 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 09:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Kinda hard to judge a bass of a speaker with ear alone, who knows what kinda mess room modes made. Reminds me of time when I went to audition Salon 2s, I play some song and notice at one point that 40-50 Hz boom in one part of a song is missing. And then i tried them home and there was my missing boom when I set them up properly.
post #8079 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Revels are well known to be neutral speakers. I don't have any personal experience with the Concerta speakers, but I have had or listened to the Performa2 F52s, Performa3 F208s, Ultima2 Salon2s and the Infinity P363s. They all sound similar. None exhibit any of the symptoms you stated in your list of dislikes. Keep in mind that sound is heavily influenced by the room they are in and their placement in that room. Bass is especially difficult to control since their waves are so long. Unless the speakers are in a room all by themselves, chances are they may not be properly placed or the room is not properly treated.

As for change in sound after "break/burn in" I've never experienced that with any of my speakers. Nothing audible at least. It's more likely that your hearing adapts or gets used to the sound than there are changes in anything audible.
post #8080 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by konoyaro View Post
I'm in the market for some floor standing speakers in the $1,500 ~ $2,000 price range

So for those who are familiar with the Revel sound and characteristics, is this a typical example of the Revel sound? Do they change much in presentation with use / over time?
I called Harman/Revel and asked about "speaker burn in." They told me "THIS IS AN AUDIO MYTH." I'm assuming propagated by salespeople, subtext being: "these babies are only going to get better with time!"

BTW, I have the F208's which are fantastic.

Main Speakers: Revel F208's. Center: C208
SUB#1: Rhythmik F15HP. SUB#2: Stereo Integrity HST18 w/ Crown XLS2502
Marantz SR7009, Emotiva XPA-5
Projector: Sony HW55-ES, Carada 134" screen
post #8081 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
I'm in the market for some floor standing speakers in the $1,500 ~ $2,000 price range so I was interested to learn about the Revel Concerta 2 series. I found a dealer with a pair of the F36 available for demo so I went for a listen. I don't have any previous experience with Revel so I went in without expectations.

Liked:
Looked much better in person than the marketing pictures on Revel website would have you believe
Nicely crankable - the speakers maintained their characteristics when going from low to high volume

Disliked:

I asked the dealer how long the speakers had been on the floor and was told that they probably had around 20 hours on them.

This is interesting but also somewhat disappointing. I've heard such great things about Revel but like others have found them difficult to source and find for auditions. Perhaps the F206/F208 would be a much better (albeit more expensive option).

Ascend Acoustics Sierra Tower with RAAL
Ascend Horizon with RAAL
HSU VTF-3 Mk5 HP
Anthem MRX 510 / Oppo 105D / Furman Elite-15 PFi
post #8082 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 561
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
I called Harman/Revel and asked about "speaker burn in." They told me "THIS IS AN AUDIO MYTH." I'm assuming propagated by salespeople, subtext being: "these babies are only going to get better with time!"

BTW, I have the F208's which are fantastic.
Well, thats mostly true. Except for big drivers. Although it would be proper to say that they need to settle in. Some guy did measurements on a subwoofer and concluded that after certain period of workout subwoofers spyder loosens up somewhat and frequency response changes a bit. Its nothing too dramatic ofcourse. But I suppose same can be applied on woofers of floorstanding speakers. It also doesn't require ridiculous number of hours like someone could state.
post #8083 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Well, thats mostly true. Except for big drivers. Although it would be proper to say that they need to settle in. Some guy did measurements on a subwoofer and concluded that after certain period of workout subwoofers spyder loosens up somewhat and frequency response changes a bit. Its nothing too dramatic ofcourse. But I suppose same can be applied on woofers of floorstanding speakers. It also doesn't require ridiculous number of hours like someone could state.
Yes, the changes are measurable. I don't think there was ever any debate about that from what I've read. The issue is are those changes audible. IMO, they weren't on any of my many speakers and subwoofers.
post #8084 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2796 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmoore2 View Post
Yet some manufacturers like Paradigm and Totem make the claim that their speakers require break in prior to any "critical listening" - Paradigm from a few hours to Totem indicating from 80-200 depending on the line!

But as somebody else has already mentioned, perhaps this is not for the speakers, but more for the listener to adjust to the sounds the speakers are producing. Some sort of psychoacoustics at work here?
post #8085 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 210
I auditioned Studio2s brand new out of the box in my room and bass increased over the first approximately 3 hours - it became boomy where it was not initially when the dealer set them up. Adjusted the boundary setting and good after that. Can't say the mids or highs changed at all.
post #8086 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Liked:

Disliked:

Revel - generally speaking - makes some of the most accurate speakers available at any price. What you hear is typically going to be what is actually present on the recording, or perhaps a characteristic of the room in which they are located (this can particularly effect bass response). It could also be the settings on the amp or pre-pro - hard to say. Or it could simply be you don't like them However, they do objectively measure as very flat and accurate speakers.

It helps to bring a variety of music you are familiar with, and ask to make sure that the receiver / pre-pro hooked up to the speakers is set to flat OR eq'd specifically for the speakers in the particular space they are located in. Hard sometimes to control all the variables.

I personally have a set of F35s in my living room and - speaking as a sometime film mixer and composer - they sound extremely clean and neutral. That's my overall impression of Revel sound.

As far as changing presentation over time, like @Jonas2 , @duc135 , and @trmoore2 mentioned, the science would suggest it's more a matter of people getting used to how a speaker sounds over time than it is the speaker "breaking in."

John Schuermann

Last edited by John Schuermann; 03-11-2016 at 03:01 PM.
post #8087 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesole View Post
This is interesting but also somewhat disappointing. I've heard such great things about Revel but like others have found them difficult to source and find for auditions. Perhaps the F206/F208 would be a much better (albeit more expensive option).
I have some to audition right here in Colorado Springs (we also have a set to listen to in Parker, a suburb of Denver).

FYI, when the new Concerta2s were designed, the F208s were the target speaker. In other words, the design goal was to get as close as they could to the sound of the Performas while hitting a price point. The same was true of the Performas - the idea was to get as close as they could to the sound of the Salon2s without breaking the bank.

And then, of course, all of the above are tested against the competition at up to twice the price point (or even MUCH more than twice the price point in the case of the Salon2s). Revel speakers are not released until they can reliably beat the competition in double blind listening tests. Brad and I were present for some of the double blind testing of the Concerta2s vs. the competition at Harman Academy back in August. We also spent a day at Kevin Voecks house listening to all the different Revel lines - Concerta2, Performa3, and Salon - back to back. Our impression was that they all had a very similar sonic signature, with more refinement and detail as you moved up the line.

John Schuermann
post #8088 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks very much for the comments and replies.

Yes, I brought music that I was familiar with and tried two different input devices. The speakers were being powered by a NAD Master Series receiver (M2 I think).

There is another dealer in my neighborhood who may be getting some in before long so it may be interesting to try them again with a different setup and listening environment.
post #8089 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Questions for Revel speaker owners:

How did go about buying these speakers? First locate nearby dealer who carries them, then dealer audition and on-the-spot purchase?

Do Revel dealers allow for in-home audition? If you buy from a dealer and determine later after a few days of listening in your home setup you are not satisfied with them, is there a return policy like 15 days?
post #8090 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I couldn't find anyone local to audition them so mine was a blind buy after researching online. That was with the Performa2 F52s. I have since upgraded to Salon2s and my brother-in-law bought the F208s. All based on our experience with my original F52s.
post #8091 of 15287 Old 03-11-2016, 07:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2796 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
I have simply heard so much good stuff about the Revel Performas that although I recently purchased a Paradigm trio of speakers, I full intend to acquire a pair of F206s, and I will do so unheard. I know, that could be a mistake, but I just don't think - based on all of the reading I've done and comparing that to the listening experience of others and myself with other speaker lines - I don't think this will be a mistake at all - it will simply be a different listening experience, and one I'm guessing I will enjoy. I am willing to take the risk - it has proven exceptionally difficult to put together any sort of audition in my area. Yeah, if they were a lot more expensive than they are, I'd have to think twice, but given the very reasonable price of the Performas, I've gotta go for it! Not sure when, but....
post #8092 of 15287 Old 03-12-2016, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I locally auditioned the performa3 against paradigm prestige, goldenear tritons and focals. I had also auditioned kef, b&w, and martin logan before buying a pair of F206 and C205.
I actually wouldn't have known revel had a cheaper line than the ultima2 had I not been prompted to listen to them by the sales guy while checking out the paradigms and goldenears.
post #8093 of 15287 Old 03-13-2016, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
I have simply heard so much good stuff about the Revel Performas that although I recently purchased a Paradigm trio of speakers, I full intend to acquire a pair of F206s, and I will do so unheard. I know, that could be a mistake, but I just don't think - based on all of the reading I've done and comparing that to the listening experience of others and myself with other speaker lines - I don't think this will be a mistake at all - it will simply be a different listening experience, and one I'm guessing I will enjoy. I am willing to take the risk - it has proven exceptionally difficult to put together any sort of audition in my area. Yeah, if they were a lot more expensive than they are, I'd have to think twice, but given the very reasonable price of the Performas, I've gotta go for it! Not sure when, but....
If you can go for the f208s, go for them! You wont regret it...
Excellent speakers.
John Schuermann and leeshanok like this.
post #8094 of 15287 Old 03-13-2016, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aracGuate View Post
If you can go for the f208s, go for them! You wont regret it...
Excellent speakers.
I agree! I auditioned a wide variety of speakers including B&W, ML, Sonus Faber, Golden Ear, PSB, among others. Once I heard the Revels, I knew I needed to get them. I ended up with the F208's over the F206's.
post #8095 of 15287 Old 03-13-2016, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

I also agree that the F208 has some characteristics that more than justify the $1200 street price difference (20% discount).

However, the F206 is still an excellent speaker and depending on the budget and room size, it certainly is no slouch.

I do understand trying to persuade potential buyers to go with the F208 since speakers are not something most people buy everyday.
post #8096 of 15287 Old 03-13-2016, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I just checked the revel line products,have anyone try to combine GEM2 as lcr and M106 as surrounds for HT?
post #8097 of 15287 Old 03-14-2016, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post
Questions for Revel speaker owners:

How did go about buying these speakers? First locate nearby dealer who carries them, then dealer audition and on-the-spot purchase?

Do Revel dealers allow for in-home audition? If you buy from a dealer and determine later after a few days of listening in your home setup you are not satisfied with them, is there a return policy like 15 days?
Revel has a dealer locator on their website, at the bottom of their "about" page:

http://www.revelspeakers.com/about-revel.html

I am in Colorado, if you happen to be in the area. Typically Revel is sold either through standard retailers or through custom installers, just like just about any other speaker brand.

Whether or not they are available for in home audition is up to the individual dealer. I let people take my demo units home if they so desire. It is also up to the individual dealer whether or not they will accept returns after a trial date. I let people listen to them or try my demo units, so it has never been a problem.

It's hard to imagine that someone won't like Revel speakers, because they are verifiably some of the most accurate speakers on the market. And they are shown to be preferred by around 80% of listeners in double blind listening tests. No other manufacturer does that kind of R&D (check out the reviews and the brand video when you check the website link I provided above).

Good luck!

John Schuermann
post #8098 of 15287 Old 03-14-2016, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by man's View Post
I just checked the revel line products,have anyone try to combine GEM2 as lcr and M106 as surrounds for HT?
I haven't tried this particular configuration, but it should work extremely well. As I mentioned in a previous post, all Revel speakers have the same design goals so mixing and matching is not really a problem Right now I am using JBL LSR708s as LCRs and using Revel M16s and F35s as surrounds, and even crossmatching brands works well (JBL and Revel are both Harman products, and you will often see Revel speakers spec'd into JBL Synthesis systems).

John Schuermann
post #8099 of 15287 Old 03-15-2016, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, Long time lurker in need of advice, I purchased a revel performa3 7 channel system from authorized dealer, one of my M106 got knocked on the ground and i found the magnet became detached, i fixed it my self and for a while it worked, then i noticed a slight buzzzing noise and sure enough the magnet was partially detached well i decided to try again and used to much glue and glue went places it should not have and now the woofer wont move. I almost positive it is toast. Is it possible to buy just the woofer or am i up a creek without a paddle.

Thanks for any advice,
post #8100 of 15287 Old 03-15-2016, 07:36 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flato View Post
Hello, Long time lurker in need of advice, I purchased a revel performa3 7 channel system from authorized dealer, one of my M106 got knocked on the ground and i found the magnet became detached, i fixed it my self and for a while it worked, then i noticed a slight buzzzing noise and sure enough the magnet was partially detached well i decided to try again and used to much glue and glue went places it should not have and now the woofer wont move. I almost positive it is toast. Is it possible to buy just the woofer or am i up a creek without a paddle.

Thanks for any advice,

Call Revel support (the number is on their web site),
They sell parts and I bought drivers when I had the Salon1's.

You will be able to repair the speaker.

- Rich
John Schuermann and bigguyca like this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page