Revel Owners Thread - Page 419 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4765Likes

post #12541 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 06:02 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Just FYI for all those who helped my quest for replacement speakers: I decided (somewhat reluctantly) to pass my Infinity Alpha system to my son for his new apartment (Alpha 50's with matching center and 12" Infinity sub). I am getting a pair of F206's and a C205 to replace them (sub will come later, another Rythmik is the obvious choice). The Revel's will be in walnut, a better match to the oak furniture than the black/silver Infinities, and I have a decent amplifier to drive them (Emotiva XPA-3, Gen1; the AVR in the family room is what caused me to buy an amplifier originally -- usually I do not bother, but in this case will do a better job on the Revels in a fairly large room and is already in place, so I'll keep it). F208's would be too big and not really needed; I would have liked the C208, but again a little too big for where it is going. At least when physical dimensions limit the size it obviates the desire to upgrade to something like Salon2's (talk about overkill...)

Shoot, I might even listen more in the family room now, though usually my wife is watching some old black-and-white movie that probably has mono sound. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Thanks all - Don
I have my F206s for a couple of weeks now. I did have room for the C208 so I went that route. Both are in walnut. I need to eventually get an amp but I have to do in steps. I think you'll be happy with the speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12542 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwuk View Post
I have my F206s for a couple of weeks now. I did have room for the C208 so I went that route. Both are in walnut. I need to eventually get an amp but I have to do in steps. I think you'll be happy with the speakers
Thanks! The main reason I have the amp is because the AVR would not drive my previous speakers without overheating and shutting down. (Other receivers in the house did OK.) I suspect it would be OK with the F206's, but since the amp's in the system and I am too lazy to take it out and re-plumb everything, it will stay.

Glad you are liking yours! Jealous of the C208... But, I live in my media room, and have the center covered nicely down there (Voice2).

John says they should be here Monday; unfortunately, I have to help set up for a gig (concert), so probably won't see them until Tuesday. He's taking delivery because I can't be sure of getting off to meet the delivery guy and don't want them dropped in the drive for hours and getting lonely (or wet, or stolen).

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #12543 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got the M126Be yesterday. Took a while. (ordered in March) You guys are in for a treat when you ever hear them.

Sound is effortless and natural. Conveys subtleties in the music I had not heard before. (I have F52, F208, F206, C52, M22. Had F32, C32)
Just sound beautiful. Very very happy. Worth the wait. Hope they put out a 206 size version.
thyname, Aja, ValentinR and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12544 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hello all. I spend most of my time over at a different forum but it seems to be swayed to a different brand of speakers. Just purchased and received my Revel F208 on Tuesday. I am coming over from Kef LS50, SVS combo. Love the ways these sound after two days without a sub. I think in the end I will still have to run a sub to get the bottom end a little fuller. I need to mention that this is an Audio only system. 2.0 and most likely a 2.1. Can anyone suggest a better sub to go with these? I was looking at REL and JL Audio. Would like to keep it under $1600. Thanks
Karl Maga likes this.

Current Set up
Parasound Halo Integrated amp
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12545 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
Hello all. I spend most of my time over at a different forum but it seems to be swayed to a different brand of speakers. Just purchased and received my Revel F208 on Tuesday. I am coming over from Kef LS50, SVS combo. Love the ways these sound after two days without a sub. I think in the end I will still have to run a sub to get the bottom end a little fuller. I need to mention that this is an Audio only system. 2.0 and most likely a 2.1. Can anyone suggest a better sub to go with these? I was looking at REL and JL Audio. Would like to keep it under $1600. Thanks
On my 208s with ports unplugged and bass switch set to full output I don't feel the need for a sub at all. Of course I'm 64. Might have had a different opinion 40 years ago. Maybe depends on amp also. My Krell is kinda known for prodigious bass. I have a few JL Audio subs. That would be a good choice IMO, but probably can't go wrong with REL either. The JL Fathom v2 series with the auto EQ is superb. Having a continuous phase adjustment is crucial for proper integration with mains. Harley in last issue of TAS explains how to do it.

Last edited by Leotis; 06-21-2018 at 10:01 AM.
post #12546 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Thanks! The main reason I have the amp is because the AVR would not drive my previous speakers without overheating and shutting down. (Other receivers in the house did OK.) I suspect it would be OK with the F206's, but since the amp's in the system and I am too lazy to take it out and re-plumb everything, it will stay. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Glad you are liking yours! Jealous of the C208... But, I live in my media room, and have the center covered nicely down there (Voice2).

John says they should be here Monday; unfortunately, I have to help set up for a gig (concert), so probably won't see them until Tuesday. He's taking delivery because I can't be sure of getting off to meet the delivery guy and don't want them dropped in the drive for hours and getting lonely (or wet, or stolen).
My C208 arrives tomorrow. I totally understand on the package because I had a package stolen off my front entry by a woman who jumped in an awaiting vehicle just a week ago. My Ring doorbell caught it all but a complete pain in the rear. The police have the footage and a local news station put it on their 10 o'clock news.

Finally the seller has agreed to send a new shipment. Coincidentally it was an acoustic panel to go in my room.

Once I get the C208 up I'll share a photo. Hoping you might do the same when you get it setup.
post #12547 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Can anyone suggest a better sub to go with these? I was looking at REL and JL Audio. Would like to keep it under $1600. Thanks
My first recommendation would be DIY if you have the tools and are even slightly handy. You can have a very good sub system with multiple subs for $1600. Even if you have to buy/ borrow tools it's the best option imo. If that is not an option I would recommend ID companies like JTR, Funk Audio, Seaton, Rythmik, SVS, etc. You'll get a better bang for your buck.
post #12548 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
My C208 arrives tomorrow. I totally understand on the package because I had a package stolen off my front entry by a woman who jumped in an awaiting vehicle just a week ago. My Ring doorbell caught it all but a complete pain in the rear. The police have the footage and a local news station put it on their 10 o'clock news.

Finally the seller has agreed to send a new shipment. Coincidentally it was an acoustic panel to go in my room.

Once I get the C208 up I'll share a photo. Hoping you might do the same when you get it setup.
Wow! I saw that video clip on the news!
Too funny because I explained to the wife what it was.
post #12549 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Wow! I saw that video clip on the news!
Too funny because I explained to the wife what it was.
Ha ha. Yeah my wife was embarrassed when they said "the package contained a custom acoustic panel". She loves me but thinks I'm a dork and is probably right.

Have you finally hooked up your speakers to the Red Dragons? Been looking for your take since eventually I want to power the LCR with an amp(s)
steven59 likes this.
post #12550 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How big is the room and is it sealed or open to other space?
post #12551 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leotis View Post
Got the M126Be yesterday. Took a while. (ordered in March) You guys are in for a treat when you ever hear them.

Sound is effortless and natural. Conveys subtleties in the music I had not heard before. (I have F52, F208, F206, C52, M22. Had F32, C32)
Just sound beautiful. Very very happy. Worth the wait. Hope they put out a 206 size version.
I received my M126Be's last night, too. I've only had about an hour to listen to them, but would agree with the above. I replaced my M22's with the M126Be's and they are in a 5.1.4 system with a c32, s30's and C763CLs. Compared to the M22's, the M126Be's throw a much wider and deeper soundstage, have much smoother high's without some of the break up/sillibance that I would hear on the M22's. They seem to blend seamlessly with the rest of the speakers for Atmos, but I'm guessing I'll want to upgrade the center now. Will spend some time this weekend, after they have broken in a bit, run Audessey and see if there is more to add. So far, so much better than expectations. Quite a nice monitor.

+ Off axis listening is much improved. With the M22's the highs would drop off noticeably when moving from ear level (seated) to standing. While there is some drop off with the M126Be's, its much less noticeable.
Aja and ValentinR like this.

Last edited by 340z; 06-21-2018 at 11:22 AM.
post #12552 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
How big is the room and is it sealed or open to other space?
It's a small room. 12x14. Closed off. It's old bedroom that I turned into my audio room. I am looking for a small sub. 10in. Something just to fill in the lower section. My SVS Sub is sealed but still sounds a little sloppy. What I don't want to do is have a sub take over and cancel out any of the F208 fantastic sound. This is one reason I am thinking of the 10in REL sub. Or a 10 JL sub since both can be run off the speaker terminals.

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12553 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
It's a small room. 12x14. Closed off. It's old bedroom that I turned into my audio room. I am looking for a small sub. 10in. Something just to fill in the lower section. My SVS Sub is sealed but still sounds a little sloppy. What I don't want to do is have a sub take over and cancel out any of the F208 fantastic sound. This is one reason I am thinking of the 10in REL sub. Or a 10 JL sub since both can be run off the speaker terminals.
10" is an odd size these days. I'd pick up a 12" sealed Rythmik or two but that's because I already have a few sprinkled around my room.
mitchco likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #12554 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
10" is an odd size these days. I'd pick up a 12" sealed Rythmik or two but that's because I already have a few sprinkled around my room.
My only concern when I called Rythmik was the high level connection pass through and speaker level connection isn't an option anymore with them. I use to run a 12in Rythmik and could never get it loud enough, but that was a few years back in a smaller room.

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12555 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I agree that Rythmik is worth considering. I have one, and it's a very fast and responsive sub. They even make one more focussed on music (if you'd prefer) than movies. Oops - apparently no longer => They are also available with speaker/line level inputs and their better sealed 12 inch is more like $1000/1100.

That said, the room correction on the JL Audio could be a huge help, since the OP doesn't have room correction in his set up.
post #12556 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
My only concern when I called Rythmik was the high level connection pass through and speaker level connection isn't an option anymore with them. I use to run a 12in Rythmik and could never get it loud enough, but that was a few years back in a smaller room.
I was responding to your first message, but see you are familiar with Rythmik already and want something different.

On the REL / JL Audio front. My friend has the REL and has struggled to integrate it with his monitors (Harbeth) in a bit challenging room. He just ordered up a Lyngdorf 3400 so that he can leverage (rather...I can help him configure...) room correction in order to better integrate the sub.
post #12557 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
If you’re looking for a smaller sub why not consider the revel B110. This will be within your budget and you can get a matching look and finish especially if you got the wood finish. Revel subs also have a room correction program included with them. I don’t know anything about it yet as I have not used it. Still waiting on the rest of my speakers to come in.
post #12558 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyMetal777 View Post
If you’re looking for a smaller sub why not consider the revel B110. This will be within your budget and you can get a matching look and finish especially if you got the wood finish. Revel subs also have a room correction program included with them. I don’t know anything about it yet as I have not used it. Still waiting on the rest of my speakers to come in.
That could be an option I didn't think of yet. I got the Walnut color as I hate piano black... On everything.

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12559 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 01:12 PM

Wait. The b110 is 2200 retail. Trying to stay a little less than that.

Anyone have feedback on the SVS SB4000 for music only? That's a lot of sub for the money but don't know if it will be musical.

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12560 of 15256 Old 06-21-2018, 01:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have feedback on the SVS SB4000 for music only? That's a lot of sub for the money but don't know if it will be musical.
Although not thought of by many/usually, some Yamaha subs might be worth looking into especially in a sealed room as this.
I have no first hand knowledge of listening to them but they were recommended to me at one point.
Could be a flame on suggestion but then again, I’ve never heard them.
post #12561 of 15256 Old 06-22-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

IMO, long gone are the days of dull thumper subs unless they're set up wrong.
If you haven't take a look at the Rythmik page.
A 12x14 room doesn't need a high powered sub especially with 208s.
They have decent subs from starting at ~$500.
Something like the SVS SB-2000 should do nicely in your room.
mitchco likes this.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #12562 of 15256 Old 06-23-2018, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Have you looked into JL Audio’s more entry level offerings like the E & D series? Not sure of pricing but would come way under the Fathom lines

Lumin T1 | Vitus RI-100 | Revel Ultima Studio2 | JL Audio: F110(2) & F112
post #12563 of 15256 Old 06-23-2018, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinaker01 View Post
Have you looked into JL Audio’s more entry level offerings like the E & D series? Not sure of pricing but would come way under the Fathom lines
Yup. I am using a pair of the E110s in my CT system and I am very happy with them.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #12564 of 15256 Old 06-23-2018, 01:59 PM

Quick update: To save some $$$ I ordered B-stock F206's along with a B-stock C205. Yesterday my dealer informed me that they could not find the B-stock F206's and were shipping new speakers instead. Pretty amazing; I would have expected them to say "sorry, out of B stock, talk to your dealer and let us know if you want new instead". The bad news is that now they won't be here Monday but should be later in the week. I suppose I'll just have to suffer the extra wait (besides, I couldn't get them Monday anyway).

Kudos to Revel for amazing customer service! - Don

post #12565 of 15256 Old 06-23-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Quick update: To save some $$$ I ordered B-stock F206's along with a B-stock C205. Yesterday my dealer informed me that they could not find the B-stock F206's and were shipping new speakers instead. Pretty amazing; I would have expected them to say "sorry, out of B stock, talk to your dealer and let us know if you want new instead". The bad news is that now they won't be here Monday but should be later in the week. I suppose I'll just have to suffer the extra wait (besides, I couldn't get them Monday anyway).

Kudos to Revel for amazing customer service! - Don
I've been super impressed with the seller and Revel. The carrier screwed up royally on my shipment and couldn't find my F206s on their trucks. I was overnighted another set at no cost by Revel and the seller gave me free shipping for my C208 when I ordered it weeks later even though they were in constant contact with me and it wasn't their fault at all. Superb indeed

You will enjoy your speakers for sure. Packaging is excellent . The boxes are not small. Hopefully you have a storage area for them in case you eventually get that upgrade itch down the road.

I would have to upgrade homes first with a bigger (much bigger) room to get into their big boy Salons.
Aja and Karl Maga like this.
post #12566 of 15256 Old 06-23-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I've been super impressed with the seller and Revel. The carrier screwed up royally on my shipment and couldn't find my F206s on their trucks. I was overnighted another set at no cost by Revel and the seller gave me free shipping for my C208 when I ordered it weeks later even though they were in constant contact with me and it wasn't their fault at all. Superb indeed

You will enjoy your speakers for sure. Packaging is excellent . The boxes are not small. Hopefully you have a storage area for them in case you eventually get that upgrade itch down the road.

I would have to upgrade homes first with a bigger (much bigger) room to get into their big boy Salons.
Thanks! I am very impressed, and have been, with both my dealer and Revel. Nice to hear others have had similar experiences.

Disclosure for those who do not know me: These are nice walnut speakers going into the family room as replacements for the Infinity Alpha set passed down to my younger son (first job, first apartment on his own). The basement media room is fully-equipped (as of about this time last year) with a pair of mahogany Salon2's, a Voice2, and four black F206's serving surround and rear duty. Those replaced my ~30 year old Magnepans, and I have been happy with them, thus the decision to go with Revel (and my dealer) again was easy. Pictures do not convey the craftsmanship and finish of the cabinets, and of course the sound ain't too shabby. Chances are these will be my last speakers though who knows what the future holds.

I really wanted to grab a pair of Studios or Salons for down there, but simply do not have the room, luckily for my wallet!

Onwards - Don
Karl Maga likes this.

post #12567 of 15256 Old 06-23-2018, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

You can get the Revel sub within your budget. PM sent.
post #12568 of 15256 Old 06-24-2018, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 506
What do you use for demos?

Had a few friends over last week who wanted to hear my new Revel speakers (see the signature). The demo material that stood out:
- Fleetwood Mac, Rumors: Never Going Back Again
- Dave Brubeck, Time Out: Take 5
- 4K Blu Ray of "Lucy"

There's likely better material to demo and I'm open to upping my game.

What do you use when people want to hear what your speakers can do?
Aja likes this.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #12569 of 15256 Old 06-24-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 172
There's always Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries.
Bill-99 likes this.

filmnut
post #12570 of 15256 Old 06-24-2018, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Fever by Elvis Presley from the AP SACD Elvis is Back!
Spooky good.

FWIW, I've decided on pair of these to go with my Studio2s.
10" Seas Sub with a matching sub radiator & Power Sound 350/700 watt ICE amp.
Nice compact cabinet.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.co...subwoofer-kit/
Brad/Viper-Fan and Bill-99 like this.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Last edited by Milt99; 06-24-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page