Revel Owners Thread - Page 420 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5666Likes

post #12571 of 16461 Old 06-24-2018, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
One of my go-to demo scenes for many years now has been the 'Master and Commander' battle scene starting at about 8:50 into the movie. Tremendous subwoofer content with the cannonball blasts and use of surrounds with the flurry of activity all around the ship. Have the BD rip on my Plex server with the DTS-HD track.
Bill-99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12572 of 16461 Old 06-24-2018, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboff01 View Post
One of my go-to demo scenes for many years now has been the 'Master and Commander' battle scene starting at about 8:50 into the movie. Tremendous subwoofer content with the cannonball blasts and use of surrounds with the flurry of activity all around the ship. Have the BD rip on my Plex server with the DTS-HD track.
One question about Plex. I had that installed for a while and then used Roku devices around the house for accessing content. But Roku doesn't handle any lossless audio format. How are you getting that DTS-HD out your speakers?

post #12573 of 16461 Old 06-24-2018, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
One question about Plex. I had that installed for a while and then used Roku devices around the house for accessing content. But Roku doesn't handle any lossless audio format. How are you getting that DTS-HD out your speakers?
Nvidia Shield, can bitstream all the HD audio formats. Specs are linked below:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/
Bill-99 and Karl Maga like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12574 of 16461 Old 06-24-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by dboff01 View Post
Nvidia Shield, can bitstream all the HD audio formats. Specs are linked below:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/
Awesome. Thanks!

post #12575 of 16461 Old 06-24-2018, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Had a few friends over last week who wanted to hear my new Revel speakers (see the signature). The demo material that stood out:
- Fleetwood Mac, Rumors: Never Going Back Again
- Dave Brubeck, Time Out: Take 5
- 4K Blu Ray of "Lucy"

There's likely better material to demo and I'm open to upping my game.

What do you use when people want to hear what your speakers can do?
I have yet to show off my system to anyone since it is so new (2 weeks old) from my older speakers and mainly I use certain movies for various reasons to pick apart the changes of going from my old Paradigm speakers to the F206s and now adding the C208.

I like the following but maybe not for just sub work (I have a PSA 15V - vented downfiring 15" - keeps little fingers away just in case).

Here's my fronts with my 75" Sony 4k (yes the C208 is massive). I took the pic with grills off but have to keep on the grills to avoid any curious fingers.

Back at it, I like to play the intro airplane scene from The Dark Knight Rises because the nuance of the ice cracking at the begining to Commissioner Gordon giving his speech, to the airplane hijacking with Bane. The bass and detail of the planes with metal shaking is really cool. The chanting as Bane talks. All good and fun to the conclusion with just Bane and the doctor floating away suspended on a rope.

IT. The New Line Cinema intro is creepy as hell. Thunder rumbles hard and the kids laughing and singing, panning all over the speakers. Then the beginning scene of the rain and Pennywise and eventually the loud impact as the camera goes through the sewer with the IT logo showing.

Finding Nemo. Darla tapping on the aquarium glass. That is a bass scene. I like to start it off with Marlin and Dory on the pier with them so you get the seagull chase scene and the surrounds perked up and some bass. Then Darla.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rps20180622_224751_1529884737884.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	2420076  
Bill-99, 340z, madhuski and 2 others like this.
post #12576 of 16461 Old 06-24-2018, 11:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 739
@bmwuk
So how do they compare to the old setup?
post #12577 of 16461 Old 06-25-2018, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Update on my new F208's.. After a week with these I am loving them and concerned as well. I know I have them in a smaller room, but I am having some bass build up. Now this is with certain recordings that have a tendency to have some very heavy bass guitar and keyboards. This is ambient post rock so you get a lot of soundscapes mixed into their songs. I have not tried other settings on the back of these or tried the port plugs. I will do this soon but hate to modify their full sound. I read that a lot of time trim knobs on speakers can vale the sound. I wanted a full range speaker and boy I got one with these. But..... They just might be to big for the room.

Current Set up
Parasound Halo Integrated amp
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12578 of 16461 Old 06-25-2018, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by ematthews View Post
Update on my new F208's.. After a week with these I am loving them and concerned as well. I know I have them in a smaller room, but I am having some bass build up. Now this is with certain recordings that have a tendency to have some very heavy bass guitar and keyboards. This is ambient post rock so you get a lot of soundscapes mixed into their songs. I have not tried other settings on the back of these or tried the port plugs. I will do this soon but hate to modify their full sound. I read that a lot of time trim knobs on speakers can vale the sound. I wanted a full range speaker and boy I got one with these. But..... They just might be to big for the room.
I'm not sure of your setup but are you using these without subs? Even if you aren't you can still set them to small and use the crossover to attenuate some of the bass, most ported speakers have too much bass at certain frequencies when run full range. Being able to measure your in-room response would be the best bet but even by ear you can set your crossover to around 40 and work your way up until the bass sounds best to your ears. An added bonus to this is you've attenuated some of the deep bass so they'll play louder with less distortion as well.
post #12579 of 16461 Old 06-25-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
I'm not sure of your setup but are you using these without subs? Even if you aren't you can still set them to small and use the crossover to attenuate some of the bass, most ported speakers have too much bass at certain frequencies when run full range. Being able to measure your in-room response would be the best bet but even by ear you can set your crossover to around 40 and work your way up until the bass sounds best to your ears. An added bonus to this is you've attenuated some of the deep bass so they'll play louder with less distortion as well.
No sub in the system yet. Running them from an Integrated amp. If I were to run them with some trim controls I would either have to switch Integrated amps or run them with a AVR Prepro.

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12580 of 16461 Old 06-25-2018, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No sub in the system yet. Running them from an Integrated amp. If I were to run them with some trim controls I would either have to switch Integrated amps or run them with a AVR Prepro.
If you don't want to go that route you can always put the port bungs in and see how they sound. If Revel gives you the option to use a partial port bung(with a hole in the middle of it), that might be the best option as it will attenuate some of the bass but not as much as sealing it completely.
post #12581 of 16461 Old 06-25-2018, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Had a few friends over last week who wanted to hear my new Revel speakers (see the signature). The demo material that stood out:
- Fleetwood Mac, Rumors: Never Going Back Again
- Dave Brubeck, Time Out: Take 5
- 4K Blu Ray of "Lucy"

There's likely better material to demo and I'm open to upping my game.

What do you use when people want to hear what your speakers can do?
On my Revel F206
For music demos I use (not currently using a sub):

Steely Dan - Anything from the Aja album.
Richie Kotzen/Greg Howe - Contusion from the album Tilt
Simon Phillips - Celtic Run from the album Protocol 4

Z
Aja likes this.
post #12582 of 16461 Old 06-25-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
If you don't want to go that route you can always put the port bungs in and see how they sound. If Revel gives you the option to use a partial port bung(with a hole in the middle of it), that might be the best option as it will attenuate some of the bass but not as much as sealing it completely.
More and More as I read about adjustments I am seeing that an AVR Prepro ccan really give me a lot of control over my room. I am a two channel hold out and have an issue adding any complex item to my signal path. I always think it doesn't sound as good as my two channel items. May have to pick up a Marantz.

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12583 of 16461 Old 06-25-2018, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
More and More as I read about adjustments I am seeing that an AVR Prepro ccan really give me a lot of control over my room. I am a two channel hold out and have an issue adding any complex item to my signal path. I always think it doesn't sound as good as my two channel items. May have to pick up a Marantz.
Even something like a mini dsp would give you all the options you would ever need to tame room problems, you can add high pass filters and parametric EQ through one of those. But if you don't want to do the manual tweaking, an AVR would work too with it's high pass filter.
post #12584 of 16461 Old 06-25-2018, 02:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
If you want to stick with 2-channels, both Anthem and Arcam have stereo receivers with good DSP.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #12585 of 16461 Old 06-25-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
@bmwuk
So how do they compare to the old setup?
Give me some time on them but initial feedback is wow. Super happy with my purchasing decision. Will give more later. I liked my Paradigm as entry level speakers and they held up well but I feel I'm in a whole new category of sound. The detail, the imaging, the smile factor. All superior.
post #12586 of 16461 Old 06-25-2018, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwuk View Post
Give me some time on them but initial feedback is wow. Super happy with my purchasing decision. Will give more later. I liked my Paradigm as entry level speakers and they held up well but I feel I'm in a whole new category of sound. The detail, the imaging, the smile factor. All superior.
Nice.

What’s “driving” them again?
post #12587 of 16461 Old 06-25-2018, 08:56 PM

Everyone talks about speakers calming down after break in. I have only heard about treble and mid range but will these F208 calm down in the bass department? The bass bloat is a bit of a tast to tame with these.

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12588 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3309 Post(s)
Liked: 3415
Quote:
Everyone talks about speakers calming down after break in. I have only heard about treble and mid range but will these F208 calm down in the bass department? The bass bloat is a bit of a tast to tame with these.
"Bass bloat" generally has more to do with the room, and placement of speakers and MLP, than anything to do with break-in. Have you tried the "Normal/Boundary" switch on the back? Since the Halo does not include room correction AFAIK you may have to experiment with placement a bit to dial in the sound. That would likely be true of any new speaker.

FWIWFM - Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #12589 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
"Bass bloat" generally has more to do with the room, and placement of speakers and MLP, than anything to do with break-in. Have you tried the "Normal/Boundary" switch on the back? Since the Halo does not include room correction AFAIK you may have to experiment with placement a bit to dial in the sound. That would likely be true of any new speaker.

FWIWFM - Don
I will the next time I run them which should be tomorrow night. I have moved them a bit out from the walls, back a bit, toe in and out. A bit frustrated with myself as I really do think these are way to much speaker for the space. I have a 60 day trial but I am almost certain I need the F206 or even run the M106 with a sub. My goal was to run a set of F208 without a sub.

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12590 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I will the next time I run them which should be tomorrow night. I have moved them a bit out from the walls, back a bit, toe in and out. A bit frustrated with myself as I really do think these are way to much speaker for the space. I have a 60 day trial but I am almost certain I need the F206 or even run the M106 with a sub. My goal was to run a set of F208 without a sub.
What size is your room?

Except for aesthetics, unless you are sitting so close that the wavefronts do not coalesce (which would not cause "bass bloat", I doubt they are "too big". A sub offers placement options to solve bass issues that simply cannot be resolved with the main speakers so adding a sub may be a good idea no matter the mains. If the F208's reach deeper than your previous speakers that may be the reason for the "bloat" as they are exciting lower frequency issue not heard before. Try listening in different spots and see if it goes away, then you can decide if the MLP should be moved (if it can), or if a sub would help compensate.

Disclosure: I am very "pro-sub" for a variety of reasons and have been for decades. I run subs with my Salon2's, partly to offload the mains, partly to add an extra octave or so, and mainly to deal with bass modes in my room.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #12591 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Nice.

What’s “driving” them again?
As of right now, just a Yamaha 7.2 receiver. I am slowly upgrading speakers and equipment because of budget. I felt it better to replace my existing speakers first versus add an amp to the older speakers. I don't push my system to reference levels but as of now (very limited time listening), the Yamaha can drive them okay. Yes I realize an amp would really help but again my budget has that happening later.
post #12592 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
What size is your room?

Except for aesthetics, unless you are sitting so close that the wavefronts do not coalesce (which would not cause "bass bloat", I doubt they are "too big". A sub offers placement options to solve bass issues that simply cannot be resolved with the main speakers so adding a sub may be a good idea no matter the mains. If the F208's reach deeper than your previous speakers that may be the reason for the "bloat" as they are exciting lower frequency issue not heard before. Try listening in different spots and see if it goes away, then you can decide if the MLP should be moved (if it can), or if a sub would help compensate.

Disclosure: I am very "pro-sub" for a variety of reasons and have been for decades. I run subs with my Salon2's, partly to offload the mains, partly to add an extra octave or so, and mainly to deal with bass modes in my room.
My room is 12 x14. I sit about 7-8 feet away. My set up before the Revel's. Kef LS50 and SVS sub. This was a really good combo and I did some A-B testing last night against them. Guess I could always run my SVS Sub with the Revel's and use my Parasound Halo Integrated amp's sub controls on these to trim the Revels. Maybe run them at 100hz cut off.

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12593 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
My room is 12 x14. I sit about 7-8 feet away. My set up before the Revel's. Kef LS50 and SVS sub. This was a really good combo and I did some A-B testing last night against them. Guess I could always run my SVS Sub with the Revel's and use my Parasound Halo Integrated amp's sub controls on these to trim the Revels. Maybe run them at 100hz cut off.
Sitting roughly in the middle of a closed rectangular room places you in a null. For your room, 14' places a null around 40 Hz, and 12' around 47 Hz, and then again at odd multiples of those frequencies (120 Hz, ~93 Hz), so that may be part of the issue.

Here is one (of many) online room mode calculators: http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm

I would try with the sub, set at a crossover of maybe 60 to 80 Hz, and see if you can improve things. Usually folk are referring to higher frequencies when they talk about "bass bloat" but a higher crossover risks hurting the stereo image. The F208's are -3 dB at 31 Hz so setting the crossover at 60 Hz is an octave above their LF cutoff and should provide plenty of margin. You will likely need to move the sub around, and maybe the MLP, to find the best spot. Just moving the listening position a foot or two forward or back might help quite a bit.

post #12594 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Sitting roughly in the middle of a closed rectangular room places you in a null. For your room, 14' places a null around 40 Hz, and 12' around 47 Hz, and then again at odd multiples of those frequencies (120 Hz, ~93 Hz), so that may be part of the issue.

Here is one (of many) online room mode calculators: http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm

I would try with the sub, set at a crossover of maybe 60 to 80 Hz, and see if you can improve things. Usually folk are referring to higher frequencies when they talk about "bass bloat" but a higher crossover risks hurting the stereo image. The F208's are -3 dB at 31 Hz so setting the crossover at 60 Hz is an octave above their LF cutoff and should provide plenty of margin. You will likely need to move the sub around, and maybe the MLP, to find the best spot. Just moving the listening position a foot or two forward or back might help quite a bit.
Great info. What does MLP stand for? Middle listening position? Thanks

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12595 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Great info. What does MLP stand for? Middle listening position? Thanks
MLP = Main Listening Position

Sorry, got tired of typing...
ematthews likes this.

post #12596 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Candidate for F126Be..
post #12597 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Candidate for F126Be..
You mean M126Be ?

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12598 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 02:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You mean M126Be ?
Yes. Had the F on the brain from PerForma
post #12599 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Yes. Had the F on the brain from PerForma
No worries. They do look like great speakers but man the doubled the price for these. I could afford the M'S but not the new towers...

Current Set up
Dynaudio Excite X44
Marantz SA8005 CD Player
post #12600 of 16461 Old 06-26-2018, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No worries. They do look like great speakers but man the doubled the price for these. I could afford the M'S but not the new towers...
MSRP on the M126Be is $1000 less than the F208 for the pair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page