Revel Owners Thread - Page 492 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4766Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14731 of 15257 Old 03-18-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven59 View Post
Since Revel has reached utopia with the salon2 and the model is 12 years old now is revel going to look into active speakers? I posted the difficulties I was having getting smooth bass below 80 hz in my room with my salon 2's and after following many suggestions on this forum the ultimate conclusion was 2 or even 4 subs to cancel the bass null would be needed. Sometimes I get the feeling nobody listens to stereo anymore, but I buy the best full range pair I can afford so I don't have to use a sub let alone 4 subs. The Revels were just 1 pair of several passive full range speakers to disappoint in the bottom 2 octaves and they legendary bass in a 'normal' room. Is the market too small for a pair of dsp 228be's or Salon's? Where do you go from here?
Revel has said there would not be much gained with active speakers due to their excellent passive crossover designs. You could use Revel F228Be or Studio2 with a pair of subs and should be able to achieve excellent results with proper implementation of bass management and room correction.

With budget concerns in mind, the difference in price of the Salon2's should allow for F228Be or maybe even Studio2's and a pair of good subs.
Rex Anderson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14732 of 15257 Old 03-18-2019, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
 
steven59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Revel has said there would not be much gained with active speakers due to their excellent passive crossover designs. You could use Revel F228Be or Studio2 with a pair of subs and should be able to achieve excellent results with proper implementation of bass management and room correction.

With budget concerns in mind, the difference in price of the Salon2's should allow for F228Be or maybe even Studio2's and a pair of good subs.
Rex, you've been so helpful to me personally and generally with contributions on the forum, KV also says somewhere adding adjustability like the dials on the ultima's is complex and that's for 1db! a powered speaker could give much more than 1 db and now with dsp it could make demos repeatable. I dream about the day a speaker sounds as good in my home as it does in the showroom.
Rex Anderson likes this.

Meridian dsp8000,Usher BE-20 DMD dancer, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's and (Strauss for sale), Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,[path]salon2, salon1, f52, r105/3, ads L9e and the infamous bose 901 vI.
steven59 is offline  
post #14733 of 15257 Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Orbitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,293
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven59 View Post
Rex, you've been so helpful to me personally and generally with contributions on the forum, KV also says somewhere adding adjustability like the dials on the ultima's is complex and that's for 1db! a powered speaker could give much more than 1 db and now with dsp it could make demos repeatable. I dream about the day a speaker sounds as good in my home as it does in the showroom.
I vote yes for some Revel actives in the line, from bookshelf to floorstander. Let everyone here vote yes or know - i'm sure Harman would be interested to know the amount of interest from Revel owners especially if it is under consideration.
Orbitron is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14734 of 15257 Old 03-18-2019, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Revel chose to remove the analog EQ adjustments in the new Performa Be line to simplify and clean up the signal path. DSP for room correction and bass management can done in an AVR, preamp processor, or something like a miniDSP. That's the way the consumer industry has gone, that's where that functionality currently exists. Some active powered studio monitors (like the JBL LSR 7P series) have DSP built in the speaker. It seems to be a feature for the professional market where speakers are being fed from a mixing console output and no other device is in the signal path to offer those features. In-home systems have a way to do the processing without adding to the expense of the speakers and many consumers want to choose power amps.

There should be no reason with the tools available today, speaker/room response cannot be optimized via placement, room correction and acoustic treatment if bass management with subs is employed.

Let's see what @Floyd Toole and @avkv have to say about active vs passive speakers.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 03-18-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Rex Anderson is offline  
post #14735 of 15257 Old 03-18-2019, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member
 
TimVG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quite simple.. If it measures well, it doesn't really matter. For active models, integrated electronics are purposely matched to the drivers, making the choice of a competent amplifier redundant. Electronic crossovers and all sorts signal shaping are also easier to implement, and offer ample options in terms of protection (limiters) on top. On the other hand passive speakers need only speaker wire to function and have one less thing to worry about for the manufacturer (amp failure).
Rex Anderson and Karl Maga like this.
TimVG is offline  
post #14736 of 15257 Old 03-18-2019, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member
 
TimVG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 391
A more interesting development is loudspeakers that reduce negative adjacent boundary effects :-)
TimVG is offline  
post #14737 of 15257 Old 03-18-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 12,103
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
A "regular" active speaker design would not help solve SBIR/room mode issues causing poor bass. For that you'd need one of the new B&O, Kii, etc. designs that incorporate additional drivers to enable controlled directivity and cancellation of reflected energy. Or a pair (or more) of properly-placed subs. Or a change in listening position.
Rex Anderson likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #14738 of 15257 Old 03-18-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 30,116
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
A "regular" active speaker design would not help solve SBIR/room mode issues causing poor bass. For that you'd need one of the new B&O, Kii, etc. designs that incorporate additional drivers to enable controlled directivity and cancellation of reflected energy. Or a pair (or more) of properly-placed subs. Or a change in listening position.
Or this:
Aja and DonH50 like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #14739 of 15257 Old 03-19-2019, 01:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
TimVG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 532
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Or this:
That would be a good study candidate to test directivity index preference ratings. Wouldn't even need to be behind an acoustic screen :-)
TimVG is offline  
post #14740 of 15257 Old 03-19-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
12B4A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: CR Iowa
Posts: 1,046
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Or this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVG View Post
That would be a good study candidate to test directivity index preference ratings. Wouldn't even need to be behind an acoustic screen :-)
If only Apple would allow developers direct access to hardware control on the homepod:


Life is Lambertian
12B4A is offline  
post #14741 of 15257 Old 03-20-2019, 11:12 AM
Senior Member
 
steven59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 114
My most recent solution to my difficult room. Just got me thinking what a bunch of titanium and be drivers in such implementation could do




My first pic with the iPad. Sorry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AB326A1A-EC82-429A-98F8-8E979EF9AD68.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	2541862  

Meridian dsp8000,Usher BE-20 DMD dancer, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's and (Strauss for sale), Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,[path]salon2, salon1, f52, r105/3, ads L9e and the infamous bose 901 vI.

Last edited by steven59; 03-20-2019 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Apologies
steven59 is offline  
post #14742 of 15257 Old 03-20-2019, 11:20 AM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,021
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven59 View Post
My most recent solution to my difficult room. Just got me thinking what a bunch of titanium and be drivers in such implementation could do

My first pic with the iPad. Sorry

I imagine being up-side-down could present some unique challenges


- Rich
gsr, madams5000 and drh3b like this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
RichB is online now  
post #14743 of 15257 Old 03-21-2019, 07:38 AM
Senior Member
 
steven59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I imagine being up-side-down could present some unique challenges


- Rich
I tried standing on my head while taking the pic but I kept falling over.

Meridian dsp8000,Usher BE-20 DMD dancer, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's and (Strauss for sale), Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,[path]salon2, salon1, f52, r105/3, ads L9e and the infamous bose 901 vI.
steven59 is offline  
post #14744 of 15257 Old 03-21-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven59 View Post
My most recent solution to my difficult room. Just got me thinking what a bunch of titanium and be drivers in such implementation could do




My first pic with the iPad. Sorry
Fixed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9EDD3904-A232-40B0-A1D8-3D765C018730_1553191480000.jpeg
Views:	60
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	2542232  
Scotth3886 and steven59 like this.
laserjock II is offline  
post #14745 of 15257 Old 03-22-2019, 10:31 AM
Senior Member
 
steven59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Fixed
Bro!

Meridian dsp8000,Usher BE-20 DMD dancer, Vienna acoustics Beethoven's and (Strauss for sale), Hegel H360, Roon Nucleus, Rega jupiter cd, Revox s26 tuner,[path]salon2, salon1, f52, r105/3, ads L9e and the infamous bose 901 vI.
steven59 is offline  
post #14746 of 15257 Old 03-22-2019, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
shelly40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 770
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 56
So I really never thought I would be in the position of possibly selling my Salon 2...

In my old house, they were in a big room....16 x 30, and open to rest of house....

In my new house I have a room 12 x 20 for a theater....

Are they too big for a room that size....

I mostly say this due to the fact they are all packed up from the move,
and the speakers I have hooked up temporarily, sound pretty good in the room
They are Legacy Audio Calibres, with 2 JL F112......

Even if I sell the Salons, I would keep the Voice 2... Its such a great center...

Anyway, looking for opinions ...
Are the Salons too big for the room....
Unpack them and repack them if I decide to sell......

Shelly
shelly40 is offline  
post #14747 of 15257 Old 03-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Member
 
jimadams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Elkton, MD. (Glen Farms)
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Very late to the Revel party but needed to add to the power requirement discussion for the F206. In short, I have scoped a B&K EX4420 throw 60V peak across them and clip. The EX4420 is rated 200W/8ohms and 350W/4ohms. I had the scope set to trigger near the 4420's power supply raw voltage of +/- 62-ish volts. It triggered at -60V during a Boston CD cut. These have always sounded distressed or sibilant or shrill at certain upper freqs, male high tenor vocals, female vocals, certain instruments as that freq range is hit or passed through - just plain defective. I've had Harmon send me replacement tweeters and later the midranges. No better. Ditto using the Musical Fidelity M6PRX. These are nothing like the glowing reviews I read. Oh well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1229.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2543018   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1226.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	1,006.9 KB
ID:	2543020  

Jim Adams
jimadams is offline  
post #14748 of 15257 Old 03-22-2019, 08:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimVG View Post
Quite simple.. If it measures well, it doesn't really matter. For active models, integrated electronics are purposely matched to the drivers, making the choice of a competent amplifier redundant. Electronic crossovers and all sorts signal shaping are also easier to implement, and offer ample options in terms of protection (limiters) on top. On the other hand passive speakers need only speaker wire to function and have one less thing to worry about for the manufacturer (amp failure).
With all my sub amp failures (replaced my SVS and JL subs multiple times in short amount of time) and the stories of how often new actives like the Kef LS50Ws fail, I think passive speakers with DiracLive correction is the best combo from a longevity standpoint. Relying on the durability of an integrated built-in amplifier can be a crapshoot, whereas you can easily hit up your local electronics retailer for a replacement AVR if yours fail, instead of having to send the entire system back for repair.
steven59 likes this.
driedmango is offline  
post #14749 of 15257 Old 03-22-2019, 09:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 12,103
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly40 View Post
So I really never thought I would be in the position of possibly selling my Salon 2...

In my old house, they were in a big room....16 x 30, and open to rest of house....

In my new house I have a room 12 x 20 for a theater....

Are they too big for a room that size....

I mostly say this due to the fact they are all packed up from the move,
and the speakers I have hooked up temporarily, sound pretty good in the room
They are Legacy Audio Calibres, with 2 JL F112......

Even if I sell the Salons, I would keep the Voice 2... Its such a great center...

Anyway, looking for opinions ...
Are the Salons too big for the room....
Unpack them and repack them if I decide to sell......

Shelly
No. Aside from aesthetics, which may or may not matter, the speakers will do fine.

Of course this from a guy with six of them in a 13'3" x 17'7" room...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #14750 of 15257 Old 03-23-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 12,103
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
Here are some pictures of my media room. I know there are others around but snapped these for this thread. It is hard to see in pictures how gorgeous the finish of these speakers really is, and the pictures don't really show their size (big). And of course pictures and words are inadequate for describing the sound!

LG C7 65" TV, Oppo UDP-203 player, SONOS:Connect for streaming, Comcast STB, Emotiva XMC-1 processor, Emotiva XPA-2 (L/R) and XPA-5 amplifiers, six Revel Salon 2 and one Voice2 speakers, four Rythmik F12 subwoofers.

FWIWFM - Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	left_front.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	620.9 KB
ID:	2543138   Click image for larger version

Name:	right_front.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	677.2 KB
ID:	2543140   Click image for larger version

Name:	left_side.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	734.3 KB
ID:	2543142   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	908.1 KB
ID:	2543144  
RichB, gsr, Aja and 5 others like this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #14751 of 15257 Old 03-23-2019, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Here are some pictures of my media room. I know there are others around but snapped these for this thread. It is hard to see in pictures how gorgeous the finish of these speakers really is, and the pictures don't really show their size (big). And of course pictures and words are inadequate for describing the sound! LG C7 65" TV, Oppo UDP-203 player, SONOS:Connect for streaming, Comcast STB, Emotiva XMC-1 processor, Emotiva XPA-2 (L/R) and XPA-5 amplifiers, six Revel Salon 2 and one Voice2 speakers, four Rythmik F12 subwoofers. FWIWFM - Don
Darn that looks nice Don! Can't imagine how good it sounds. The Salon2's really don't look that big in the pictures. And really they aren't when compared to the Dunlavy SC-V's I had in one of my home theaters for many years. Dimensions: 75x15x27-inch (HxWxD) Each cabinet has (2) 12" woofers, (2) 6.5" mid-bass, (2) 3" dome mid-range and (1) 1" dome tweeter. 330 lbs each.

I just posted this in the "How to Choose a Loudspeaker" thread and thought folks here might like to read it as well. https://www.mixonline.com/technology...vy-sc-v-371391

There are some comments in the review I find interesting re: imaging and dispersion.

I met John LaGrou (https://www.mil-media.com/products.html) many years ago and we have spoken several times on the phone and at Audio Engineering Society conventions. He designs and manufactures very high quality professional audio equipment and is an excellent recording engineer. I purchased several channels of his microphone preamplifiers for the recording facilities I worked in, they are highly regarded. This article is from 1999. I wonder what his current thoughts are about the subject.

There are many aspects of the designs that are different, I like what Revel is doing better.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 03-24-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Rex Anderson is offline  
post #14752 of 15257 Old 03-23-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 5,841
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Granted my Studio2s are shorter than Salons but I've never found them imposing on my living room.
I'm sure it's due to the narrow profile facing forward while maintaining the required cab volume by being very deep.
Looking at them from the side they are much larger.

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #14753 of 15257 Old 03-23-2019, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Here are some pictures of my media room. I know there are others around but snapped these for this thread. It is hard to see in pictures how gorgeous the finish of these speakers really is, and the pictures don't really show their size (big). And of course pictures and words are inadequate for describing the sound!

LG C7 65" TV, Oppo UDP-203 player, SONOS:Connect for streaming, Comcast STB, Emotiva XMC-1 processor, Emotiva XPA-2 (L/R) and XPA-5 amplifiers, six Revel Salon 2 and one Voice2 speakers, four Rythmik F12 subwoofers.

FWIWFM - Don
How big is your room @DonH50 and this is traditional 7.x setup ?

Chris
laserjock II is offline  
post #14754 of 15257 Old 03-23-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimadams View Post
Very late to the Revel party but needed to add to the power requirement discussion for the F206. In short, I have scoped a B&K EX4420 throw 60V peak across them and clip. The EX4420 is rated 200W/8ohms and 350W/4ohms. I had the scope set to trigger near the 4420's power supply raw voltage of +/- 62-ish volts. It triggered at -60V during a Boston CD cut. These have always sounded distressed or sibilant or shrill at certain upper freqs, male high tenor vocals, female vocals, certain instruments as that freq range is hit or passed through - just plain defective. I've had Harmon send me replacement tweeters and later the midranges. No better. Ditto using the Musical Fidelity M6PRX. These are nothing like the glowing reviews I read. Oh well.
Something is defective?
laserjock II is offline  
post #14755 of 15257 Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,343
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 1036
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
How big is your room @DonH50 and this is traditional 7.x setup ? Chris

Don stated his room dimensions as 13'3" x 17'7" in this post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57790556
Rex Anderson is offline  
post #14756 of 15257 Old 03-23-2019, 09:55 AM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,021
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1834 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Here are some pictures of my media room. I know there are others around but snapped these for this thread. It is hard to see in pictures how gorgeous the finish of these speakers really is, and the pictures don't really show their size (big). And of course pictures and words are inadequate for describing the sound!

LG C7 65" TV, Oppo UDP-203 player, SONOS:Connect for streaming, Comcast STB, Emotiva XMC-1 processor, Emotiva XPA-2 (L/R) and XPA-5 amplifiers, six Revel Salon 2 and one Voice2 speakers, four Rythmik F12 subwoofers.

FWIWFM - Don

Are those Salon2's for rears. Looks like you and @gsr are part of a select group.
I have lowly Studio2's for my rears.

Are you using anything else to tune those four subs?

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
RichB is online now  
post #14757 of 15257 Old 03-23-2019, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,436
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Don stated his room dimensions as 13'3" x 17'7" in this post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post57790556
Ah! I need to learn to read thoroughly
laserjock II is offline  
post #14758 of 15257 Old 03-23-2019, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 12,103
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words! Quick responses -- family coming home today, yay!

Rex: Forgot about your Dunlavy's -- those are monsters! Yah, the Salon2's are deep and fairly tall but not too wide so actually do not look imposing. Of course, I had a 7.1 Magnepan setup before, so except for their depth these Salon2's are actually "little guys".

Chris: Room is 13'3" W x 17'7" deep x 8'6" high (a duct soffit on the left side chops that down about a foot). Heavily treated. My original plans were for a room about 1/3 larger and primed dimensions; lost out to add a bedroom for our younger son (now on his own) and the connecting hallway. My wife actually suggested I could remodel but we're getting close enough to retirement (I hope!) that I don't want to blow a bundle. With floating walls/ceiling and the minisplit HVAC unit it was easily the most expensive room in the place even before all the toys went in.

Chris/Rich: Yes, six Salon2 speakers (listed in the post with the pictures), in a conventional 7.1 setup (with four Rythmik subs; I think you can only see the front pair in the pictures). The sides are a little forward of the listening position -- works better with the couch and door.

Rich: The subs include level and continuous phase controls that I use to help align everything (used REW this time around). They also have a LPF (crossover) and PEQ but I'm just using the XMC-1 for that. After trying different things I run them as two pair in dual-mono mode and that seems to work well.

This is a real dream system and well beyond what I ever expected to own. Some great deals and help from John and crew, large bonus after the kids got jobs, and very understanding wife (who's dealt with my audio obsession for decades) resulted in this "end game" system. I have no desire nor plans to do Atmos or whatever despite gentle prodding by John, Joel and Rex that they could easily fit a projector and extra speakers in there. Maybe someday, but for now I'm happy, and the real kicker is that between Work and Life I have hardly any time to spend there.

Toodles - Don
RichB likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #14759 of 15257 Old 03-23-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Roger Dressler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11,453
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2928 Post(s)
Liked: 1683
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
Here are some pictures of my media room.
Hi Don,

That's some serious commitment to the concept of timbre matching .

May I gently inquire -- not too sure from the picture but it looks like there's a gap between the top of the center speaker and the bottom of the TV screen. Unless you also have a drop down PJ screen (as does Floyd Toole), is there any reason not to "raise your Voice"? I always try to put the C as high as possible for better alignment to the L/R.
DonH50 likes this.

Deadwood II Theater (Previous Deadwood Theater HTOM)
Anthem AVM 60 7.4.4; Classé SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4; MiniDSP OpenDRC-AN
Oppo UDP-203; Oppo BDP-93; Win7 media PC w/Roon+Kodi; Roku Ultra; DirecTV Genie
Adam Audio S3V/S3H LCR, KEF Ci200QS 4 srrnd, Tannoy Di6 DC 4 hts, Hsu ULS-15 4 subs
JVC RS520; Stewart Cima Neve screen 125" diag 2.35:1, MLP at 115"
Roger Dressler is offline  
post #14760 of 15257 Old 03-23-2019, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 12,103
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3144 Post(s)
Liked: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post
Hi Don,

That's some serious commitment to the concept of timbre matching .
Blame Kal, he put the bug in me to try more multichannel music, though I still have very little content.

Quote:
May I gently inquire -- not too sure from the picture but it looks like there's a gap between the top of the center speaker and the bottom of the TV screen. Unless you also have a drop down PJ screen (as does Floyd Toole), is there any reason not to "raise your Voice"? I always try to put the C as high as possible for better alignment to the L/R.
Well, duh, that's a very good question and something I should have thought to do. There is a reason... When I assembled the new front line a couple of years ago, I had a different set of components in place, including a Magnepan CC3 center that fit under the custom (by me) wooden stand atop the console that held the TV. It worked well but put the TV rather high. When I switched speakers, the Voice2 would not fit under the TV, and rather than raise it higher I bought the stand for the Voice2 (expensive little bugger!) and cut the legs on the TV stand to bring it down to a more reasonable height. I don't really care to look up at the TV, I prefer it be more in line with my eyes, or just a little higher. At that time I had a couple of components I shoved under the TV and needed access to them (i.e. line of sight above and behind the Voice2). The Voice2's stand does allow me to tilt the speaker so it is aimed (up) at the MLP and that is how it's been the past couple of years.

Now, my components have changed and/or moved around again in the past few months, so I am using the space under the TV mainly as storage for little-used remotes and such. So I could raise the Voice2 as you suggest and that makes a lot of sense. I simply did not think of it since everything has been stable and running for a couple of years now. Never occurred to me that I could raise it now that I no longer need to see the components behind it.

Guess I need to make some measurements and see what I've got that will work under it. And run Dirac Live again; those nine measurements always seem to take forever!

Or drop the TV to the top of the console; could have done that this afternoon when both boys were home (a rare treat!) if only I'd seen this earlier! But, I had better things to do, for once.

Thanks Roger! -Don

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off