Revel Owners Thread - Page 507 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5200Likes

post #15181 of 15858 Old 07-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, I have been considering Revel Concerta and Performa series floorstanders for my next HT system. Any recommendations for good dealers in the SF Bay Area so I can audition them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15182 of 15858 Old 07-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
How are you liking the Studio2's so far?

I've had them a week now and I think we're still getting used to each other. I've been adjusting the position and toe-in, now I need to just relax and listen to the music rather than the speakers. They sound quite different from my previous speakers on some recording so it will take time to determine whether different = better. I can say that they sound more neutral which is not always a benefit since recording quality varies greatly, some recordings seem to have a synergy with some speakers and not others. I don't want to give the impression that I'm not happy with them because that is not the case. After 4.5 yrs with my previous speakers, my ears will need time to recalibrate.
bambam and Bill-99 like this.
post #15183 of 15858 Old 07-02-2019, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 936 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga_Bob View Post
I've had them a week now and I think we're still getting used to each other. I've been adjusting the position and toe-in, now I need to just relax and listen to the music rather than the speakers. They sound quite different from my previous speakers on some recording so it will take time to determine whether different = better. I can say that they sound more neutral which is not always a benefit since recording quality varies greatly, some recordings seem to have a synergy with some speakers and not others. I don't want to give the impression that I'm not happy with them because that is not the case. After 4.5 yrs with my previous speakers, my ears will need time to recalibrate.
What were your previous speakers? And how long did you have them? Did you change anything else when you changed the speakers? This information will help us benefit from your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15184 of 15858 Old 07-02-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
What were your previous speakers? And how long did you have them? Did you change anything else when you changed the speakers? This information will help us benefit from your experience.

Thanks for your response. My previous speakers were B&W 802 Diamonds (series 2 using current nomenclature) which I've had for 4.5 yrs. No other changes were made to the system except for switching out the speakers. I side-stepped stating which speakers I was previously using as I did not want to initiate another "trash B&W" thread since that seems to be a favorite past time on the AVS Fora. I'm happy to discuss further.
post #15185 of 15858 Old 07-02-2019, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1320 Post(s)
Liked: 1223
Quote:
I'm a new owner of a pair of Studio2 speakers and of course my cables will not permit the rear panel doors to close. Not really a big deal, but is there an easy, non-destructive way to remove the panel doors? I don't want to damage anything so if removal is not readily accomplished, I will leave things alone. Also, the speakers came with extra replacement washers for the rear door, would someone tell me how these washers are used? TIA
I got new cables to resolve that problem.
DS-21 and Karl Maga like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #15186 of 15858 Old 07-02-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
I got new cables to resolve that problem.

Ain't gonna happen, just bought these at the end of April.

Playback: Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Studio2; Source: Synology NAS, Sonore opticalModule (2X), Sonore ultraRendu (MPD), Sonore ultraDigital (S/PDIF out to DAC); RealTraps acoustic products, Iconoclast Cables by Belden
post #15187 of 15858 Old 07-03-2019, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Ain't gonna happen, just bought these at the end of April.
The easiest solution if you want to keep your cables is to re-terminate the speaker end with spades. There is really no clearance for banana plugs and big wire.
Karl Maga likes this.

Lumin T1 | Vitus RI-100 | Revel Ultima Studio2 | JL Audio: F110(2) & F112
post #15188 of 15858 Old 07-03-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinaker01 View Post
The easiest solution if you want to keep your cables is to re-terminate the speaker end with spades. There is really no clearance for banana plugs and big wire.
I put 90deg-angled banana plugs on mine.
RichB and Karl Maga like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #15189 of 15858 Old 07-03-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Congratulations on the speaker acquisition. I like your approach re: giving yourself time to get used to how the speakers sound. FWIW that was also my experiences further down the product line (F208's).

Something that wasn't obvious at point of speaker acquisition was how this level of neutrality would ruthlessly expose the poorly recorded disks in my collection. Where possible, those disks have been replaced with better engineered releases. But most of the time it has meant more frequent use of the treble control to tame hot recordings. It seems to be a pretty common issue for both music and movies.
Karl Maga likes this.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #15190 of 15858 Old 07-03-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
I put 90deg-angled banana plugs on mine.

So do you have Studio 2 or Salon 2 and at which location?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #15191 of 15858 Old 07-03-2019, 11:04 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1923 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I ordered some Monoprice right-angle banana plugs to replace the spades for my Studio2's. I'll post how well they work. The doors are on because they can be viewed from behind.
I removed the doors from the Salon'2s.

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
post #15192 of 15858 Old 07-03-2019, 11:13 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 2297
I removed the doors from all 6 of my Salon's. None of them are very visible in the back, so it's not a big deal for the doors to be off. This is the one area where I think Revel had a minor miss on the speaker design as the doors interfere with many possible speaker cable configurations and aren't exactly easy to take off.
RichB likes this.
post #15193 of 15858 Old 07-03-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Story in September issue.
HTNUT1975 likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #15194 of 15858 Old 07-03-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Congratulations on the speaker acquisition. I like your approach re: giving yourself time to get used to how the speakers sound. FWIW that was also my experiences further down the product line (F208's).

Something that wasn't obvious at point of speaker acquisition was how this level of neutrality would ruthlessly expose the poorly recorded disks in my collection. Where possible, those disks have been replaced with better engineered releases. But most of the time it has meant more frequent use of the treble control to tame hot recordings. It seems to be a pretty common issue for both music and movies.
How do the F208's sound with regular TV broadcasts and streaming audio/video from Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.? Are the F208's still a good choice if that's the type of audio I'll be listening to 90% of the time?
post #15195 of 15858 Old 07-03-2019, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
How do the F208's sound with regular TV broadcasts and streaming audio/video from Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.? Are the F208's still a good choice if that's the type of audio I'll be listening to 90% of the time?
IMO, quite good.

Our home theater includes Revel F208's, a C208 and a pair of M106's for surround with an older sub in a 5.1.0 configuration. Electronics: Anthem AVM 60 processor, Anthem A5 amp, Oppo UDP-203. System runs Anthem's room correction software (ARC Genesis).

This gear is in a family room that joins a kitchen in a big "L" shape. The family room part is right at 3000 cu ft. It has some acoustic treatment and, inconveniently, a WBFP with windows on either side of it along with 4 door sized glass panels on one short wall where the surrounds sit. Yeah, there are some challenges here but it still sounds great.

Usage about 90% TV & movies disks, with limited streaming from Amazon prime. We don't use Netflix. Over-the-air broadcast TV does vary in quality but it can be excellent. Movies streamed from Amazon are subject to lossy audio and somewhat compressed video but they can be pretty good, too. The best audio and video, not surprisingly, come off of 4K Ultra HD disks played on the Oppo. These can be sensational. Overall, pretty happy with this setup. The F208's + C208 as the front 3 are great combo at this price point.
blSwagger likes this.

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
post #15196 of 15858 Old 07-03-2019, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked: 1196
I finally got settled in a house that allows me to have a surround system again.

I have F208's for front and rear L/R and a C208 center. I'm using a Lexicon MC-10 preamp/processor, ATI 4003 power amp for the front L/C/R and a Bryston 3B SST2 for the rear L/R. Just got them set up, distances and levels set in the Lexicon and have done some listening.

I have had a pair of F208s in a stereo system for the past several years, so I know the speaker well. Adding the C208 (a 50 pound beast) and two more F208s for rears and listening in surround has put a big smile on my face.

I'm trying all the upmix surround formats to see what sounds best with stereo audio. So far I like Dolby surround and DTS Neural:X.

In their price range, I have not found anything that sounds better than the Performa3 speakers. They sound great with good program material. They do reveal bad sound, but it is program dependent and you can't avoid that problem. I like the fact the MC-10 has bass and treble EQ.

Bill-99, DonH50, blSwagger and 1 others like this.
post #15197 of 15858 Old 07-03-2019, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Story in September issue.
Looking forward to it. As an owner of Salon 2s and Studio 2s, and considering these are now 11 year old models, it’s been fun reading the Salon 2 re-reviews in Stereophile this year (Jim Austin in May and Larry Greenhillin July). That the Ultima 2s have gotten this much press 11 years after their initial release, and without a version upgrade, is a real testament to their original design and their status in the top tier of loudspeakers. I cant think of a single speaker model that comes remotely close on long term relevance without undergoing version upgrades.
Milt99 likes this.

Revel Salon 2, Studio 2, Voice 2, JL F113v2, JL CR-1, Parasound JC 1s, Bryston 28bsst2, Bryston 4bsst2, Schiit Vidars, Marantz 8802a, Ayre K5xemp, Transrotor Dark Star TT, Parasound JC3+, Oppo UDP-203, Samsung 78JS9500
post #15198 of 15858 Old 07-04-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennyjammin View Post
Looking forward to it. As an owner of Salon 2s and Studio 2s, and considering these are now 11 year old models, it’s been fun reading the Salon 2 re-reviews in Stereophile this year (Jim Austin in May and Larry Greenhillin July). That the Ultima 2s have gotten this much press 11 years after their initial release, and without a version upgrade, is a real testament to their original design and their status in the top tier of loudspeakers. I cant think of a single speaker model that comes remotely close on long term relevance without undergoing version upgrades.
In this business, it seems that most "version upgrades" are for marketing, not engineering, reasons.
Milt99, DonH50, Karl Maga and 1 others like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #15199 of 15858 Old 07-04-2019, 11:06 AM

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 3023
Quote:
In this business, it seems that most "version upgrades" are for marketing, not engineering, reasons.
So true, and a "new" edition may or may not be better sounding, but marketing may claim otherwise.

In the case of the high-end Revels it is hard to imagine a significant improvement in the sound quality - if it ain't broke don't fix it. Engineering effort may be better expended on new models at affordable prices.

We have passed the point of diminishing returns in loudspeaker design. The best examples are sufficiently neutral that they reveal weaknesses in program material. However, all brands are not equally capable, and the endless quest for perfection goes on. Differences are often interpreted as improvements. Too many people are expecting miracles from two channels and a pair of loudspeakers - stereo is fundamentally flawed and limited in its capabilities. Only more channels, including tasteful upmixing, can deliver anything resembling the expectations.
Milt99, Purple X, LRS3 and 4 others like this.
post #15200 of 15858 Old 07-04-2019, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 3220 Post(s)
Liked: 3274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
I finally got settled in a house that allows me to have a surround system again.

I have F208's for front and rear L/R and a C208 center. I'm using a Lexicon MC-10 preamp/processor, ATI 4003 power amp for the front L/C/R and a Bryston 3B SST2 for the rear L/R. Just got them set up, distances and levels set in the Lexicon and have done some listening.

I have had a pair of F208s in a stereo system for the past several years, so I know the speaker well. Adding the C208 (a 50 pound beast) and two more F208s for rears and listening in surround has put a big smile on my face.

I'm trying all the upmix surround formats to see what sounds best with stereo audio. So far I like Dolby surround and DTS Neural:X.

In their price range, I have not found anything that sounds better than the Performa3 speakers. They sound great with good program material. They do reveal bad sound, but it is program dependent and you can't avoid that problem. I like the fact the MC-10 has bass and treble EQ.

That's great news, Rex, glad you are back in tunes again and in your new digs! Been a rough road, hopefully all up from here!
Rex Anderson likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #15201 of 15858 Old 07-04-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Quote:
I'm a new owner of a pair of Studio2 speakers and of course my cables will not permit the rear panel doors to close. Not really a big deal, but is there an easy, non-destructive way to remove the panel doors? I don't want to damage anything so if removal is not readily accomplished, I will leave things alone. Also, the speakers came with extra replacement washers for the rear door, would someone tell me how these washers are used? TIA
Hey Bob.
I have Studio2s as well.
Currently just bare wire to the speaker.
The door removal is simple and non-destructive.
Just start at the top or bottom and push in the correct direction to release the tab that holds the door in.
Mine came out easy.

I really see no reason for them anyway.
I do wish that Revel had Speakon connectors but that is a very minor nit.
DS-21 likes this.

post #15202 of 15858 Old 07-04-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
Hey Bob.
I have Studio2s as well.
Currently just bare wire to the speaker.
The door removal is simple and non-destructive.
Just start at the top or bottom and push in the correct direction to release the tab that holds the door in.
Mine came out easy.

I really see no reason for them anyway.
I do wish that Revel had Speakon connectors but that is a very minor nit.

OK, thanks. I will give it a try.

Playback: Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Studio2; Source: Synology NAS, Sonore opticalModule (2X), Sonore ultraRendu (MPD), Sonore ultraDigital (S/PDIF out to DAC); RealTraps acoustic products, Iconoclast Cables by Belden
post #15203 of 15858 Old 07-04-2019, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
That's great news, Rex, glad you are back in tunes again and in your new digs! Been a rough road, hopefully all up from here!
Thanks Don! I told Dr. Toole I hadn't had more than a three channel (front L/C/R) system since September 2013. I thought he was going to faint, lol. He took pity on me and let me listen to his system.

Now I can't get the sound of immersive audio out of my head, I need more speakers (a lot more) and still don't have subs! All in good time, I'm in a good place again. It's a work in progress for sure.
DonH50 and Karl Maga like this.
post #15204 of 15858 Old 07-04-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK, thanks. I will give it a try.
To follow up:
The tab is like a 1/4" in length.
The door is going to bend a bit just don't be too cautious or aggressive.
Concentrate on freeing the tab without breaking the opposite one & you'll be fine

post #15205 of 15858 Old 07-04-2019, 06:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Killer system, Rex.
Congratulations.

post #15206 of 15858 Old 07-04-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Thanks Don! I told Dr. Toole I hadn't had more than a three channel (front L/C/R) system since September 2013. I thought he was going to faint, lol. He took pity on me and let me listen to his system.

Now I can't get the sound of immersive audio out of my head, I need more speakers (a lot more) and still don't have subs! All in good time, I'm in a good place again. It's a work in progress for sure.
5.1 is not a bad place at all! I'd get the subs first though with F208's all around you can probably relax and enjoy life for a bit.

"...let me listen to his system.." Pity, or goading you to pick up the pace? He mentioned heights to me (via John) back when I was looking at the Salon2's; I haven't spoken with him since.
Karl Maga likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
post #15207 of 15858 Old 07-04-2019, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH50 View Post
5.1 is not a bad place at all! I'd get the subs first though with F208's all around you can probably relax and enjoy life for a bit.

"...let me listen to his system.." Pity, or goading you to pick up the pace? He mentioned heights to me (via John) back when I was looking at the Salon2's; I haven't spoken with him since.
The F208's are very good but I am missing the last octave. The trip to California was a great experience and good ear training to get me tuned into what really good audio sounds like again. It has been a few years since I was doing FOH live sound mixing on a big, well tuned system with deep bass extension (lots of subs). The low end in the systems I just heard made my pant legs vibrate. I loved it! Nothing like a good explosion to make you realize what real low end is like.

It's ATMOS time Don. Helicopters and airplanes are above your head...
DonH50 likes this.
post #15208 of 15858 Old 07-04-2019, 09:33 PM

Quote:
The F208's are very good but I am missing the last octave. The trip to California was a great experience and good ear training to get me tuned into what really good audio sounds like again. It has been a few years since I was doing FOH live sound mixing on a big, well tuned system with deep bass extension (lots of subs). The low end in the systems I just heard made my pant legs vibrate. I loved it! Nothing like a good explosion to make you realize what real low end is like.
My four Rythmik F12's do nicely, but I expect you to go at least 15"...

Quote:
It's ATMOS time Don. Helicopters and airplanes are above your head...
And that's why I quit talking to Floyd...

post #15209 of 15858 Old 07-05-2019, 08:12 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1913 Post(s)
Liked: 2297
^ Fortunately for me (er, my budget), height speakers just aren't an option as the room has a ~14' high vaulted ceiling with no access from above and the house owner (my brother) has exercised veto power on attaching things high on the walls or the ceiling, at least for now. Bouncy speakers won't work given the ceiling type and height. I can't complain since my rent is cheap...
RichB and Karl Maga like this.
post #15210 of 15858 Old 07-05-2019, 09:04 AM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1923 Post(s)
Liked: 1411
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
^ Fortunately for me (er, my budget), height speakers just aren't an option as the room has a ~14' high vaulted ceiling with no access from above and the house owner (my brother) has exercised veto power on attaching things high on the walls or the ceiling, at least for now. Bouncy speakers won't work given the ceiling type and height. I can't complain since my rent is cheap...
It's difficult but you will just have to get by with a surround consisting of Salon2's, a Voice2, and Benchmark AHB2 amps.

Courage my friend

- Rich
gsr likes this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva XMC-1 (v3) | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 4 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page