Revel Owners Thread - Page 517 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4967Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #15481 of 15542 Old 08-05-2019, 03:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
You guys think a F208 would be too much for this room? They'd necessarily need to be close to walls (the LS and RS squares in the upper right) given the living room setup.

I'll probably jump to the F206 from the F36, but I may be able to get a good deal on an F208 as well so just trying to decide between the two. I may some day add a sub, but that day may be a few years away at least until I can setup a more dedicated listening area, so ignore that "potential sub location" I added in there.

Last edited by sakete; 08-05-2019 at 03:26 PM.
sakete is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15482 of 15542 Old 08-05-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakete View Post
You guys think a F208 would be too much for this room? They'd necessarily need to be close to walls (the LS and RS squares in the upper right) given the living room setup.

I'll probably jump to the F206 from the F36, but I may be able to get a good deal on an F208 as well so just trying to decide between the two. I may some day add a sub, but that day may be a few years away at least until I can setup a more dedicated listening area.

Your room dimensions and layout looks very similar to mine, my front main wall is 11' wide but there is another 41/2' open on the right side for a door to the bedroom. The depth is 16' so overall, the room is a bit bigger than yours. I have four F208's and a C208. They all seem perfect to me. I would suggest using two subs, put the second one in the left rear corner created by the half height divider wall. With subs, you could get by with F206's, but if you can get a good deal on F208's you will never regret it. You may have an issue with the right front speaker being in a corner and the left speaker having no boundary.

Could you turn the layout 90 degrees and put the TV and speakers on the 14' wall? You might be able to put the subs on that wall with the main L/R if you can do that. Speakers on the 14' wall firing down the 17' wall should sound better too.
sakete likes this.

Rex Anderson
The Screening Room Home Theater System Design and Sales
Rex Anderson is online now  
post #15483 of 15542 Old 08-05-2019, 04:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Your room dimensions and layout looks very similar to mine, my front main wall is 11' wide but there is another 41/2' open on the right side for a door to the bedroom. The depth is 16' so overall, the room is a bit bigger than yours. I have four F208's and a C208. They all seem perfect to me. I would suggest using two subs, put the second one in the left rear corner created by the half height divider wall. With subs, you could get by with F206's, but if you can get a good deal on F208's you will never regret it. You may have an issue with the right front speaker being in a corner and the left speaker having no boundary.

Could you turn the layout 90 degrees and put the TV and speakers on the 14' wall? You might be able to put the subs on that wall with the main L/R if you can do that. Speakers on the 14' wall firing down the 17' wall should sound better too.
I wish I could turn it, but there's a fireplace there (forgot to mark it on the drawing) with very little space above the mantle for a TV (and either way I don't like mounting tv's high, I prefer them at eye level). So I'm stuck with the positioning as is. I hope at some point to create a dedicated listening space in the basement with wall treatments, bass traps, the whole nine yards. But until then, this is my space (or until we move to another house, but we just bought this one).

But yeah, I'll definitely need to do some REW wizardry to even out the bass response between the two speakers, but I'm willing to do the work
sakete is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #15484 of 15542 Old 08-05-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,487
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 683
@Rex Anderson can he run the one side with boundary switch set and the other one not?

@sakete what electronics are you incorporating and is this a music only system or are you planning on HT also?

Chris
laserjock II is offline  
post #15485 of 15542 Old 08-05-2019, 06:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
@Rex Anderson can he run the one side with boundary switch set and the other one not?


@sakete what electronics are you incorporating and is this a music only system or are you planning on HT also?



Chris
For now just a Yammy A2070 receiver, primarily music, some movies/TV.

Also just heard back from my dealer and there are no good deals currently on the F208, so I guess I'll just be getting the F206 after all.
yanks1 likes this.
sakete is online now  
post #15486 of 15542 Old 08-05-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4,042
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Do a drop down screen and projector and flip the room.

If you can’t (LOL) input sub in one of the rear corners. The corner with the full wall might work better.

Depends in the size of the sub iy could go between the TV and Right.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
mmiles is online now  
post #15487 of 15542 Old 08-05-2019, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
@Rex Anderson can he run the one side with boundary switch set and the other one not?

@sakete what electronics are you incorporating and is this a music only system or are you planning on HT also? Chris

Never hurts to try but it might unbalance things for the worse. Best to try room correction and check the results with REW.

Rex Anderson
The Screening Room Home Theater System Design and Sales
Rex Anderson is online now  
post #15488 of 15542 Old 08-05-2019, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakete View Post
I wish I could turn it, but there's a fireplace there (forgot to mark it on the drawing) with very little space above the mantle for a TV (and either way I don't like mounting tv's high, I prefer them at eye level). So I'm stuck with the positioning as is. I hope at some point to create a dedicated listening space in the basement with wall treatments, bass traps, the whole nine yards. But until then, this is my space (or until we move to another house, but we just bought this one). But yeah, I'll definitely need to do some REW wizardry to even out the bass response between the two speakers, but I'm willing to do the work
Tear out that fireplace, lol!

Really, I generally hate where builders put the fireplace. Almost invariably, they ruin any possibility of doing a good A/V setup in the room. They might look good and be functional in some cases, but mostly they ruin the room for AV. I just bought a house and had to find one with a good living room/floor plan so I could do a home theater with surround audio. I had to live with 3.0 for too many years due to bad layouts. I was not going to compromise again.
bear123 and Karl Maga like this.

Rex Anderson
The Screening Room Home Theater System Design and Sales
Rex Anderson is online now  
post #15489 of 15542 Old 08-05-2019, 07:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Tear out that fireplace, lol!

Really, I generally hate where builders put the fireplace. Almost invariably, they ruin any possibility of doing a good A/V setup in the room. They might look good and be functional in some cases, but mostly they ruin the room for AV. I just bought a house and had to find one with a good living room/floor plan so I could do a home theater with surround audio. I had to live with 3.0 for too many years due to bad layouts. I was not going to compromise again.
We actually like the fireplace and use it in the winter nice and cozy. But I get your point and I did think when we bought the house that it would've been better were the fireplace elsewhere (such as on the short wall where the TV is now). Oh well, it's hard to find the perfect home that ticks all the boxes within the required budget.

But for now it doesn't matter anymore, I'm getting the B stock F206 instead which shouldn't overload the room, but will still be an improvement over the F36.
yanks1 and Rex Anderson like this.
sakete is online now  
post #15490 of 15542 Old 08-05-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Scotth3886's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Albany, OH
Posts: 7,928
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3836 Post(s)
Liked: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Tear out that fireplace, lol!

Really, I generally hate where builders put the fireplace. Almost invariably, they ruin any possibility of doing a good A/V setup in the room. They might look good and be functional in some cases, but mostly they ruin the room for AV. I just bought a house and had to find one with a good living room/floor plan so I could do a home theater with surround audio. I had to live with 3.0 for too many years due to bad layouts. I was not going to compromise again.
If it's 7' or 7 1/2' ceilings in the basement as it so frequently is, I think that causes just about as much trouble.
Scotth3886 is online now  
post #15491 of 15542 Old 08-06-2019, 03:48 AM
Member
 
OldMovieNut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakete View Post
For now just a Yammy A2070 receiver, primarily music, some movies/TV.

Also just heard back from my dealer and there are no good deals currently on the F208, so I guess I'll just be getting the F206 after all.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...-10-full-range

https://www.audiogon.com/listings/li...206-full-range

Cheers,
OldMovieNut
OldMovieNut is offline  
post #15492 of 15542 Old 08-06-2019, 01:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Revel F206 in piano black on the way!
bear123 and yanks1 like this.
sakete is online now  
post #15493 of 15542 Old 08-06-2019, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bigguyca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Turkestan
Posts: 1,601
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Oddly enough, my wife landed on black F208s as well. She observed that the walnut finish has a lot of red and doesn't work well with our woodwork. While I agree, it was hard to go with black instead. That walnut finish is a looker.

Your wife is right!
Bill-99 likes this.
bigguyca is online now  
post #15494 of 15542 Old 08-06-2019, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,487
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakete View Post
Revel F206 in piano black on the way!
Did you already have the F36 or were you still deciding?
laserjock II is offline  
post #15495 of 15542 Old 08-06-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mmiles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Delaware
Posts: 4,042
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Can get new F208 for that or less.

The F206 is a nice deal but if you know the right people a few more bucks gets you new.
bigguyca and Rex Anderson like this.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
mmiles is online now  
post #15496 of 15542 Old 08-06-2019, 05:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Did you already have the F36 or were you still deciding?
I had the F36 already. Was a very recent purchase so my dealer is working with me to swap them out for a F206.
340z and yanks1 like this.
sakete is online now  
post #15497 of 15542 Old 08-07-2019, 07:34 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
(Q about F226Be on-sale date) I was wondering that too. I'll check with our rep Monday and let you know.
Hi Rex - did you hear anything? Thanks!

ed
Varejao17 is offline  
post #15498 of 15542 Old 08-07-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varejao17 View Post
Hi Rex - did you hear anything? Thanks! ed

I should hear something today.
Varejao17 likes this.

Rex Anderson
The Screening Room Home Theater System Design and Sales
Rex Anderson is online now  
post #15499 of 15542 Old 08-10-2019, 08:21 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Wow. I didn’t mean to kill the thread. :-)
340z likes this.
Varejao17 is offline  
post #15500 of 15542 Old 08-10-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,423
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varejao17 View Post
Wow. I didn’t mean to kill the thread. :-)

Sorry, I got some general info but was not told if it's OK to post it. I have to get approval, hoping to know soon but Harman employees don't work Saturday and Sunday.

Rex Anderson
The Screening Room Home Theater System Design and Sales
Rex Anderson is online now  
post #15501 of 15542 Old 08-10-2019, 09:10 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
By no means - I was commenting more about that no one else has posted on any other topics... :-)

Any info is greatly appreciated and is definitely above and beyond.
Varejao17 is offline  
post #15502 of 15542 Old 08-10-2019, 01:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'm waiting to receivey F206 sometime this coming week, will then be posting again
sakete is online now  
post #15503 of 15542 Old 08-10-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,487
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1219 Post(s)
Liked: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakete View Post
I'm waiting to receivey F206 sometime this coming week, will then be posting again
Interested to hear what you think on the difference between the 2.

Do you have the F36 until the F206 show up?
laserjock II is offline  
post #15504 of 15542 Old 08-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Interested to hear what you think on the difference between the 2.



Do you have the F36 until the F206 show up?
No, will be exchanging at my dealer. But when I first demoed the F36, I did it vs the F206 back to back. F206 has a tighter bass, which is probably the biggest difference between the two. Tonality if course quite similar, F206 perhaps a touch more detailed in the mids having a dedicated mid-range vs the F36 which is 2.5 way. It's a better speaker, though you could argue whether the price difference is justified. At first I didn't think so, but then I was left with this nagging feeling that I should've just spent more and would've been questioning my initial purchase. So here I am putting that to rest
Bill-99 and jima4a like this.
sakete is online now  
post #15505 of 15542 Old 08-10-2019, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill-99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 517
^It'll be interesting to hear your impressions with your Yamaha and in your room. Congrats on the new gear!

Just one more upgrade and things will be perfect.
Bill-99 is online now  
post #15506 of 15542 Old 08-13-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,873
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3421 Post(s)
Liked: 1903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakete View Post
No, will be exchanging at my dealer. But when I first demoed the F36, I did it vs the F206 back to back. F206 has a tighter bass, which is probably the biggest difference between the two. Tonality if course quite similar, F206 perhaps a touch more detailed in the mids having a dedicated mid-range vs the F36 which is 2.5 way. It's a better speaker, though you could argue whether the price difference is justified. At first I didn't think so, but then I was left with this nagging feeling that I should've just spent more and would've been questioning my initial purchase. So here I am putting that to rest

if dealer worth a dam would deliver/exchange your speakers and set them up proper. good luck.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is online now  
post #15507 of 15542 Old 08-13-2019, 06:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Brad/Viper-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: S.F. Bay Area
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Brad/Viper-Fan is offline  
post #15508 of 15542 Old 08-14-2019, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,270
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2552 Post(s)
Liked: 3995
Officially got my W263 in wall speakers for my birthday today. Have been running 3.1 for many years so looking forward to adding surround capability. Electrician is installing now. Even though these are the lowest tier of in walls, I’m expecting to be very pleased with them as my other alternative would have been tiny JBL architectural satellites. These will be drastically more capable and even more aesthetic for my living room. Grille color is perfect without painting. I’ll post pics later today hopefully.

Any spins or measurements on these? I bought these blind based on Revels reputation for designing accurate speakers with good sound quality.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rex Anderson and dinamigym like this.
bear123 is online now  
post #15509 of 15542 Old 08-14-2019, 11:41 AM
Member
 
blSwagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Any word on whether Revel is discontinuing the c763l ceiling speaker? Crutchfield showed a price for them a couple weeks ago, but now their website says discontinued.
blSwagger is offline  
post #15510 of 15542 Old 08-14-2019, 12:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 21
the Bryston 4b-ST(lexicon 225), should be showing up next week and I still have my integrated(and no pre). For the short-term I plan on disconnecting power to the Cambridge's amps(fingers crossed it works like that), and using the pre-outs as a makeshift pre-amp.

Is there any issue with running a RCA splitter off one of the lines to get a signal to my subwoofer?

System: Cambridge 851A, Revel M126be, SVS SB2000, Cambridge DACMAGIC 100, JVC XL-Z1050TN, Rega RP6, Vincent PHO-8. A bunch of monster power conditioning junk V: Samsung NU8000, Nvidia Shield TV
Cambridge amp for sale - post 950shipped
Locoliberty is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off