Revel Owners Thread - Page 538 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5659Likes

post #16111 of 16449 Old 10-15-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitron View Post
If you want more omph - it's oomph.
But I want fast omph.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16112 of 16449 Old 10-15-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
But I want fast omph.
That's what she said...
post #16113 of 16449 Old 10-15-2019, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked: 1313
Quote:
That's what she said...
Mebbe that's what inspired me.
340z likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16114 of 16449 Old 10-15-2019, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Mebbe that's what inspired me.
Got it, fast bass with good penetration throughout the room.
post #16115 of 16449 Old 10-15-2019, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Just in case you didn't catch my muffled humor, notice the picture that I took of the 228Be. It still has the plastic wrapping over the entire speaker including the drivers. I'm going to sell whatever I decide isn't the right choice for this specific room (looks, size, sound, etc). So I am going to leave most of the plastic intact
Ouch, I read your post with the pics at night from my phone and really missed all that stuff

BTW I considered getting kef r7 but dealer told me that f208 is better in his opinion. I wish I could get salon 2 or at least f228be or r11 but retail prices are so much higher in Russia (for example f208 is close to 7 grands here) so I can't afford those

Parasound Halo Integrated, Pioneer SC-LX 901, Oppo-205, Revel F208 + Heco Aurora Center 30 + Heco Victa Prime 202, Takstar HF 580

Last edited by vavan; 10-16-2019 at 12:37 AM.
post #16116 of 16449 Old 10-16-2019, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked: 1924
Quote:
If you want more omph - it's oomph.
Maybe I really did want more "omph". A quick google explains that it's an acronym that stands for "OM Mani Padme Hum".

Here's three hours of it. you see, I want 6 hours or more. Hence more "omph"
Scotth3886 likes this.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
post #16117 of 16449 Old 10-16-2019, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavan View Post
Ouch, I read your post with the pics at night from my phone and really missed all that stuff

BTW I considered getting kef r7 but dealer told me that f208 is better in his opinion. I wish I could get salon 2 or at least f228be or r11 but retail prices are so much higher in Russia (for example f208 is close to 7 grands here) so I can't afford those
The term "better" is thrown around a lot. Remember, most comparisons are heavily flawed. The only way you know for sure is by using a testing rig like they have at the Harman facility (level matched in the blind with quick speaker swaps and statistically verified). All too often, people compare and report on different days with different rooms and different gear using different music. i.e. "So-and-so speakers are better because when I went to Axpona, speaker A sounded better than when I heard speaker B at my dealer." Meaningless information and AVS is chock-full of this rhetoric. Therefore, all of these other experiments (including mine) are flawed; some more flawed than others. Of course personal bias enters into the decision plus flawed audible memory plus speaker placement are somewhat difficult to dial in exactly (because the frequency response changes with positioning). All I'm saying is a side-by-side comparison at one sitting is "less worthless". And spending time with each pair over days can help personal biases and flawed audible memory partially disappear. Hopefully that made sense.

As a side note, I heard a comparison of the KEF LS50's (I think that was the model in the test rig) and the Concerta2 M16's in the blind at Revel. On axis, I preferred the KEF which subjectively sounded "smoother". Off Axis, I preferred the M16's (KEF's were slightly too polite). My point is, the KEF's are a competently designed loudspeaker. Truth be told, I could have lived with either pair. And like Harman's researched shows, all too often, people who are not trained listeners are random number generators. A lot of words to say be careful when making a $7K buying decision simply because your dealer told you that he liked so-and-so speaker over another. Never mind he could have what I like to call "commission breath" (he gets better margin, better terms, he likes his rep better, etc etc.

Sorry for babbling. Until you personally experience some blind tests that I just described, what I just typed are simply words. It really solidifies your opinion once you have the pleasure of quantifying the actual differences in the blind. In my experiments, I'm not necessarily going to pick what sounds "better". Rather what looks better in the room, how much I spend in comparison to what I hear, if I can integrate the subs and still get deep enough bass etc. For instance IF I am going to use a pair of musical subs, I would pick the F206 over the F208. So maybe the 126Be (on order) will be a better choice than the 228Be for my situation.

My wife's bias is spend less and a smaller speaker. I simply want world class sound. And happy wife means happy life. I'll overrule the "happy wife" mantra if the differences are too large to ignore. Plus, those Salon2's are beautiful! Decisions decisions.

Last edited by SteveH; 10-16-2019 at 04:53 AM.
post #16118 of 16449 Old 10-16-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked: 548
^SteveH, I think you nailed it.

In some ways it's amazing that anyone buys loudspeakers today. Consider:
- Buyers can't trust AV dealers (see above) or manufacturer showrooms (another form of AV dealer).
- Buyers can't trust venues like Axpona / RMAF due to problematic listening conditions.
- (Most) Buyers can't solely rely on in-home trials due to the time, money and return logistical challenges.
- Buyers can't rely solely on spin data because there isn't enough of it.
- Buyers can't rely solely on professional reviews because of variable quality and potential conflicts of interest.
- Buyers can't rely on forums like this because there are fans and anti-fans of every product.
- Buyers can't count on spending more money to get them better products.
- Buyers can't rely on a speaker that looks good to sound good, or vice versa.
- Buyers can't even trust their own ears because they are so easily fooled.

Yikes.

Harman's research and testing facilities offer hope of more science and data driven decisions, but the challenges to buying quality loudspeakers are real. IMO they are an impediment to broader participation in this hobby.
SteveH, noobtv and Lonewolf7002 like this.

post #16119 of 16449 Old 10-16-2019, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 527
Just like women. Cant live with them and cant live without them.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #16120 of 16449 Old 10-16-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
Or get a great dog and call it a day.
post #16121 of 16449 Old 10-16-2019, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
The term "better" is thrown around a lot. Remember, most comparisons are heavily flawed. The only way you know for sure is by using a testing rig like they have at the Harman facility (level matched in the blind with quick speaker swaps and statistically verified). All too often, people compare and report on different days with different rooms and different gear using different music. i.e. "So-and-so speakers are better because when I went to Axpona, speaker A sounded better than when I heard speaker B at my dealer." Meaningless information and AVS is chock-full of this rhetoric. Therefore, all of these other experiments (including mine) are flawed; some more flawed than others. Of course personal bias enters into the decision plus flawed audible memory plus speaker placement are somewhat difficult to dial in exactly (because the frequency response changes with positioning). All I'm saying is a side-by-side comparison at one sitting is "less worthless". And spending time with each pair over days can help personal biases and flawed audible memory partially disappear. Hopefully that made sense.

As a side note, I heard a comparison of the KEF LS50's (I think that was the model in the test rig) and the Concerta2 M16's in the blind at Revel. On axis, I preferred the KEF which subjectively sounded "smoother". Off Axis, I preferred the M16's (KEF's were slightly too polite). My point is, the KEF's are a competently designed loudspeaker. Truth be told, I could have lived with either pair. And like Harman's researched shows, all too often, people who are not trained listeners are random number generators. A lot of words to say be careful when making a $7K buying decision simply because your dealer told you that he liked so-and-so speaker over another. Never mind he could have what I like to call "commission breath" (he gets better margin, better terms, he likes his rep better, etc etc.

Sorry for babbling. Until you personally experience some blind tests that I just described, what I just typed are simply words. It really solidifies your opinion once you have the pleasure of quantifying the actual differences in the blind. In my experiments, I'm not necessarily going to pick what sounds "better". Rather what looks better in the room, how much I spend in comparison to what I hear, if I can integrate the subs and still get deep enough bass etc. For instance IF I am going to use a pair of musical subs, I would pick the F206 over the F208. So maybe the 126Be (on order) will be a better choice than the 228Be for my situation.

My wife's bias is spend less and a smaller speaker. I simply want world class sound. And happy wife means happy life. I'll overrule the "happy wife" mantra if the differences are too large to ignore. Plus, those Salon2's are beautiful! Decisions decisions.
Great post. I'm making the decision about upgrading my speakers soon and I've been doing a lot of research especially between Kef and Revel, a large part of that is because these brands have the most data available.

They're both good brands that do things scientifically and I expect I would be happy either way I go. I suspect the differences between those two brands at the same price point is fairly small.

I am curious what you mean by the Kef's being "too polite" off axis? In what way are the M16's impolite, and how is that your preferred sound? :-)

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
post #16122 of 16449 Old 10-16-2019, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post
It's hard to find accurate data on their performance, and the experience in the showroom isn't always the same as when you live with them.
SteveH likes this.

post #16123 of 16449 Old 10-16-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
Great post. I'm making the decision about upgrading my speakers soon and I've been doing a lot of research especially between Kef and Revel, a large part of that is because these brands have the most data available.

They're both good brands that do things scientifically and I expect I would be happy either way I go. I suspect the differences between those two brands at the same price point is fairly small.

I am curious what you mean by the Kef's being "too polite" off axis? In what way are the M16's impolite, and how is that your preferred sound? :-)
The term "polite" as it relates to speakers describes a more relaxed signature (or a rolled off frequency). With electronics, "polite" can be described by an increased slew rate (rise and fall time) which is common with a voltage feedback loop while a current feedback loop is inherently a faster design.
Oddly, the slew rate to the ear is analogous to adjusting the EQ (albeit the frequency response in either case is ruler flat using any type of feedback). Read https://www.analog.com/en/analog-dia...ifiers-1.html#

I was referring to the concentric design of the KEF's where off axis FR rolls off at a higher rate than say the Revel's. You pick it up in the Spinorama measurements. It's not as if the M16's were "impolite" as their frequency response is darn flat.
noobtv likes this.

post #16124 of 16449 Old 10-16-2019, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Got it, fast bass with good penetration throughout the room.
This post deserves more appreciation. I can’t remember the last time a post on an audio forum made me actually laugh out loud.
Scotth3886 likes this.
post #16125 of 16449 Old 10-16-2019, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Look what the cat dragged in the house! The speaker on the right didn't have any top end and the one in the middle sounded muffled. lol

In all seriousness, I figured I'd do some comparisons in my AZ home and see which pair I want to keep for this specific room. It is a 18'x28' room with 14' ceilings. The Mrs. wants smaller speakers and I only care about performance. Decisions decisions.....

Speaker on the left: Revel Concerta2 F36 ($2K retail). Middle:Revel Performa 228Be ($10K retail). Speaker on the Right: Revel Ultima2 Salon2 ($22K retail).

I'm going to bring in some KEF's demos to compare as well. I'm still deciding which KEF demos to bring in.
I would love to hear all those.

Please compare with the Kef R11.

post #16126 of 16449 Old 10-17-2019, 05:35 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Too bad the JBL HDI 3800 and the rest of the HDI line is still a few months away...

Someone from the audio store is coming to my house on Monday to see what would work best in my space.
bear123 likes this.
post #16127 of 16449 Old 10-17-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
Too bad the JBL HDI 3800 and the rest of the HDI line is still a few months away...

Someone from the audio store is coming to my house on Monday to see what would work best in my space.
The best that I can tell is that the JBL HDI series is a much better looking version of the commercial looking Synthesis system. Albeit less selection/skews. But if a person wants a good looking box with the Waveguide AND the dynamics of compression drivers, that series is the ticket. IMO, if stereo performance is paramount, the Revel is still a better selection. For people who do their main listening with theater and only background stereo listening (versus "critical listening", then the new JBL HDI series might be the ticket.

post #16128 of 16449 Old 10-17-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
The best that I can tell is that the JBL HDI series is a much better looking version of the commercial looking Synthesis system. Albeit less selection/skews. But if a person wants a good looking box with the Waveguide AND the dynamics of compression drivers, that series is the ticket. IMO, if stereo performance is paramount, the Revel is still a better selection. For people who do their main listening with theater and only background stereo listening (versus "critical listening", then the new JBL HDI series might be the ticket.
That's my exact thought process. I loved the f208s when I listened to them. The only reason why I'm considering the HDI series is because 95% of the time they'll be used in surround sound for TV/movies.
post #16129 of 16449 Old 10-17-2019, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
To me while listening at CEDIA (I stopped by 4 times) I liked the JBL HDI. It had that brighter clean crisp JBL sound. Back in the 80-90’s it was often called the west coast sound that featured upper mid and high frequency reproduction. To me there has always been certain assumptions that some speakers are meant for certain genres of music or format reproduction. If it’s a good speaker then it’s a good speaker.

What I don’t like at the recent CEDIA expos is that Revel never has a live demo of their top tier line.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #16130 of 16449 Old 10-17-2019, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Look what the cat dragged in the house! The speaker on the right didn't have any top end and the one in the middle sounded muffled. lol
How big is your cat??? :O

This sounds like a fun comparison! I'm interested in how much difference there is between the Concerta2 line and the other two.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
post #16131 of 16449 Old 10-17-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 3625 Post(s)
Liked: 2060
this youtube guy seems to say what I feel so I share instead of argue

Scotth3886 likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #16132 of 16449 Old 10-17-2019, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm looking at upgrading my front speakers from my definitive pro monitor 200, I listen to a lot of music and was hoping to get an audio boost, was looking at the m16, do folks here think there would be a big boost from my definitive fronts and worth the upgrade?

Thanks for the feedback!
post #16133 of 16449 Old 10-17-2019, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
I've owned F208's for several years now and have thrown just about everything in the book at them. They sound great with all styles of music and they should, they are neutral, full range speakers that tell you what is on the recording. That said, everything is dependent on the quality of the recording.

I had someone come to my house yesterday to hear them and he brought his own CD's. We spent 3 hours listening to a wide variety of rock, pop, jazz and classical music. He will soon be the proud owner of a pair of F208's. I really enjoyed watching (and hearing) him listen. A few times he shouted "WOW! That was amazing! I have heard this music many times and just heard things I haven't heard before". He commented on how much more detail he heard than with any other speaker he had owned. He was a conductor for many years and a music critic, a very serious musician with thousands of records in his collection.
As I was reading through this thread, I thought, "Hmm, I should post..." but looks like Rex beat me to it. I'm the guy who took up three hours of his valuable time listening to music on those F208s, which are now proudly and beautifully placed in my home theater (with the matching center speaker soon to arrive!) The F208s are major, or as a friend said, "Those sound like 'endgame' speakers," something you could live with for many, many years.

As Rex indicated, at one point, I shouted out loud because I heard a violin section flourish with a vividness I had never heard, and in a recording I've listened to literally dozens and dozens of times (a magnificent Mercury Living Presence, three-mic recording from 1956!).

Over the past two days I've thrown Mahler, The Puppini Sisters, Ben Webster, Wagner, Robert Crumb and His Cheap Suit Serenaders (no kidding), King Crimson, Primus, and many more at these speakers. In every case, they just 'said,' "Hey, Bob, listen to THIS!" So, my conclusion would be that no matter what kind of music you currently listen to, the F208s are more than equal to the job; and when you branch out into other areas of listening, they'll have you covered there, too.
gsr, Milt99, spyboy and 3 others like this.
post #16134 of 16449 Old 10-17-2019, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Lovely to read that kind of enthusiasm! That's what it's all about.

post #16135 of 16449 Old 10-18-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 4030 Post(s)
Liked: 2505
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblinds View Post
As I was reading through this thread, I thought, "Hmm, I should post..." but looks like Rex beat me to it. I'm the guy who took up three hours of his valuable time listening to music on those F208s, which are now proudly and beautifully placed in my home theater (with the matching center speaker soon to arrive!) The F208s are major, or as a friend said, "Those sound like 'endgame' speakers," something you could live with for many, many years.

As Rex indicated, at one point, I shouted out loud because I heard a violin section flourish with a vividness I had never heard, and in a recording I've listened to literally dozens and dozens of times (a magnificent Mercury Living Presence, three-mic recording from 1956!).

Over the past two days I've thrown Mahler, The Puppini Sisters, Ben Webster, Wagner, Robert Crumb and His Cheap Suit Serenaders (no kidding), King Crimson, Primus, and many more at these speakers. In every case, they just 'said,' "Hey, Bob, listen to THIS!" So, my conclusion would be that no matter what kind of music you currently listen to, the F208s are more than equal to the job; and when you branch out into other areas of listening, they'll have you covered there, too.
"a magnificent Mercury Living Presence, three-mic recording from 1956!"

There you go and I couldn't agree more. In many ways these two and three track recordings from this era have never been equaled let alone beat. If I may ask, which one was it?
post #16136 of 16449 Old 10-18-2019, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotth3886 View Post
"a magnificent Mercury Living Presence, three-mic recording from 1956!"

There you go and I couldn't agree more. In many ways these two and three track recordings from this era have never been equaled let alone beat. If I may ask, which one was it?
It was on a Hanson/Eastman-Rochester recording of light classical American music, Ron Nelson's "Savannah River Holiday."
https://www.amazon.com/Fiesta-Eastma...type=ss&sr=1-9

But I also have the rest of that Mercury retrospective three-volume collection. Particularly wonderful, IMO, is Paray's Berlioz recording. Check out the performance of "Le Corsair" Overture. Paray is virtually forgotten but utterly brilliant; and the Detroit Symphony keeps up with his hair-raising tempi.
Scotth3886 likes this.

Last edited by boblinds; 10-18-2019 at 10:18 AM.
post #16137 of 16449 Old 10-18-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by boblinds View Post
It was on a Hanson/Eastman-Rochester recording of light classical American music, Ron Nelson's "Savannah River Holiday."
https://www.amazon.com/Fiesta-Eastma...type=ss&sr=1-9

But I also have the rest of that Mercury retrospective three-volume collection. Particularly wonderful, IMO, is Paray's Berlioz recording. Check out the performance of "Le Corsair" Overture. Paray is virtually forgotten but utterly brilliant; and the Detroit Symphony keeps up with his hair-raising tempi.

I just found that on Amazon Music HD, am listening to it now. That is a very nice sounding piece, as well as the rest of the album.
boblinds likes this.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II tower speakers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T tower speakers(Surrounds), Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Samsung HL67A 750A TV
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Yamaha RX-V1800 receiver, Sherbourn 5/1500A 5-channel amp, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #16138 of 16449 Old 10-18-2019, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I currently have a 6.2 surround system that's all Infinity Cascade and was looking at the Revel C763L as possible in ceiling atmos speakers. I think it would be overkill as I'm envisioning mostly highs for positioning I'm not sure why you would want big powerful speakers for atmos.

Also with these larger in ceiling speakers how are folks cutting the holes. I'm tempted to get something smaller just so I can use a hole saw.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151106_165318~2_1571462169607.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	3.08 MB
ID:	2629166   Click image for larger version

Name:	15714623348713509676939022749012_1571462401880.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	2629168  
post #16139 of 16449 Old 10-19-2019, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Drywall saw.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #16140 of 16449 Old 10-19-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked: 4226
Quote:
Would be nice to see some specs and spins on the HDI series to see if they're worth considering.
DS-21 likes this.

Last edited by bear123; 10-19-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page