Revel Owners Thread - Page 551 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5728Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16501 of 16514 Old 12-01-2019, 06:18 AM
Senior Member
 
youngho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 426
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Thanks for sharing. I didn't get through the whole article. If I am allowed to paraphrase (still probably not precisely accurate and please correct accordingly), the curve was created to mimic a flat, smooth anechoic response in order to replicate what happens in a typical smaller in-room response. Hence the term Harman target response curve.

Next, the curve (pictured below) added bass boost to the otherwise flat, smooth in room response because of their listener research that Harman conducted showed that we subjectively preferred more bottom end. When applied the curves post Dirac, my subjective opinion was that my Revel speakers sound slightly "fuller" and "more laid back". I'm sure there is more to the story behind the Harman target response curve. So if others have better knowledge, please share.

Going back and forth wasn't fast and easy. But the new Arcam's can hold 3 stored Dirac files. I'm looking forward to more quickly compare the differences.
Looking at Figure 14, I think that it may be reasonable to say that different listeners may have different preferences, and even the same listener may have different preferences at different listening volumes. Toole: "More data would be enlightening, but this amount is sufficient to indicate that a single target curve is not likely to satisfy all listeners."

Figure 15 in this paper does not include the Dirac automotive target curve, which actually has more bass boost than the Olive & Welti 2009 target. The default Dirac target curve for home audio is not "a flat curve" but rather more similar to the predicted steady-state room curve in Figure 14, in my opinion.

Young-Ho
youngho is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16502 of 16514 Old 12-01-2019, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
jkscherk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 742
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
If if memory servers me correctly, he is using a Peachtree integrated. The BasX wouldn't have a chance to drive the Salon2's which are a pretty difficult load.
Steve is correct....mostly. :-)

My signature doesn't reflect my 2-channel system. That system now consists of the Salon2, Peachtree nova500 & amp500, Aurender N100H & double runs of Kimber 8TC speakers cables. The nova500/amp500 are used in a horizontal bi-amp setup with one driving the woofs and the other driving the mids/highs. Those two amps each put out 500w/ch into 8ohms and 800w/ch into 4 ohms.

As Steve said, I don't think the BasX amp would drive those speaks well and the Denon 3600 might just shut off! ;-)
Lonewolf7002 likes this.

9.2.4 || Processor: Denon AVR-X3600H || Amps: Emotiva BasX A-300
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 LCR, BA VSi 593 IW Surround-Wide, BA VSi 560 IC Tops
Subs: Seaton Submersive F2+Slave Front
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD, 120" wide || Projector: JVC RS-600 + Panamorph Paladin
Sources: Nvidia Shield, Oppo 205, Roku Ultra 4K, ATT UVerse, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD
jkscherk is offline  
post #16503 of 16514 Old 12-02-2019, 04:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SteveH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: MN and AZ USA
Posts: 2,661
Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1282 Post(s)
Liked: 1938
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
Steve is correct....mostly. :-)

My signature doesn't reflect my 2-channel system. That system now consists of the Salon2, Peachtree nova500 & amp500, Aurender N100H & double runs of Kimber 8TC speakers cables. The nova500/amp500 are used in a horizontal bi-amp setup with one driving the woofs and the other driving the mids/highs. Those two amps each put out 500w/ch into 8ohms and 800w/ch into 4 ohms.

As Steve said, I don't think the BasX amp would drive those speaks well and the Denon 3600 might just shut off! ;-)
I would agree that the 3600h would struggle. With the Arcam AVR550 and only driving a pair of Salon2's, it shut down on us several times at a volume level around 75 or slightly less (out of a 100) which wasn't too loud. But with the Concerta2 F36 and the AVR550, the AVR550 didn't break a sweat.
Lonewolf7002 likes this.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
SteveH is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16504 of 16514 Old 12-02-2019, 04:52 AM
Senior Member
 
blSwagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 40
With the introduction of the c426Be next month, I wonder why Harman (Arcam/JBL Synthesis) didn't come out with a high powered 3 channel amp for LCR channels. I'm not sure it makes sense to pair a 200+ watts/channel 2 channel amp and a 100 watts/channel 7 channel amp for a 5.2.4 system; towers shouldn't have twice the power of the center channel, correct? I know Arcam came out with new 7 channel and 4 channel amps for a 7.x.4 system, but the 4 channel amp is only 50 watts at 8 ohms, which I don't think would be good for c763l's due to their low sensitivity of 75db. I'm waiting to see what ATI comes out with next month. Emotiva would be an affordable backup if other options don't work out. Modular amps are the way to go.
blSwagger is offline  
post #16505 of 16514 Old 12-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Member
 
Average Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Apologies if this has been covered before (I searched this thread but couldn't find the answer) - does anybody know if the Concerta M8 speakers can be mounted horizontally without harming the sound/output? I would assume yes, but would appreciate confirmation if anybody knows.
Average Joe is online now  
post #16506 of 16514 Old 12-02-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Apologies if this has been covered before (I searched this thread but couldn't find the answer) - does anybody know if the Concerta M8 speakers can be mounted horizontally without harming the sound/output? I would assume yes, but would appreciate confirmation if anybody knows.
I went to the Revel website and downloaded the owners manual. It shows the mounting hardware and there is only one bracket for mounting it vertically. You would have to do custom hardware to mount it horizontally.

However, in the M8S SP2 and M8 SP5 manuals, they show a center channel and different mounting hardware that would allow horizontal mounting.

If you get the correct speaker intended for horizontal mounting, you won't have a problem and it won't harm the sound.
Rex Anderson is offline  
post #16507 of 16514 Old 12-02-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,695
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2831 Post(s)
Liked: 4316
Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
With the introduction of the c426Be next month, I wonder why Harman (Arcam/JBL Synthesis) didn't come out with a high powered 3 channel amp for LCR channels. I'm not sure it makes sense to pair a 200+ watts/channel 2 channel amp and a 100 watts/channel 7 channel amp for a 5.2.4 system; towers shouldn't have twice the power of the center channel, correct? I know Arcam came out with new 7 channel and 4 channel amps for a 7.x.4 system, but the 4 channel amp is only 50 watts at 8 ohms, which I don't think would be good for c763l's due to their low sensitivity of 75db. I'm waiting to see what ATI comes out with next month. Emotiva would be an affordable backup if other options don't work out. Modular amps are the way to go.
Have you look at NordAcoustics 3 channel amp using all Hypex components? I've yet to find any amp with better specs or power rating, even at a higher price. The Benchmark AHB2 has better measurements but far less power and costs much more for 2 channels. However, unless I'm mistaken, which is definitely possible, I think the Hypex based stuff has reached the level of absolute and complete audible transparency, so I'm not sure paying a lot more for less power and even better measurements makes sense. Beyond this for the LCR, perhaps a 5 or 7 channel Monoprice Monolith for surrounds and such, as perhaps the power and fidelity of the Hypex stuff would be wasted there.
bear123 is online now  
post #16508 of 16514 Old 12-03-2019, 07:50 AM
Member
 
Average Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
I went to the Revel website and downloaded the owners manual. It shows the mounting hardware and there is only one bracket for mounting it vertically. You would have to do custom hardware to mount it horizontally.

However, in the M8S SP2 and M8 SP5 manuals, they show a center channel and different mounting hardware that would allow horizontal mounting.

If you get the correct speaker intended for horizontal mounting, you won't have a problem and it won't harm the sound.
Thanks Rex. Yes, I noticed that Revel specifically says that in the SP 5 package there are four M8 loudspeakers which are only to be installed vertically plus the one to be installed horizontally, yet they also describe the package as five satellite speakers which leads me to believe that they're all the same except for the mounting hardware. Presumably I can find more copies of that horizontal mount somehow...
Average Joe is online now  
post #16509 of 16514 Old 12-03-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
Thanks Rex. Yes, I noticed that Revel specifically says that in the SP 5 package there are four M8 loudspeakers which are only to be installed vertically plus the one to be installed horizontally, yet they also describe the package as five satellite speakers which leads me to believe that they're all the same except for the mounting hardware. Presumably I can find more copies of that horizontal mount somehow...

If you just want to buy one center channel speaker for horizontal use, make sure you are getting just that. The manual shows different mounting hardware and the tops and bottoms of the horizontal center channel look different than the vertical mount speakers, at least from what I can tell. Whoever you choose as your dealer should be able to get your order done correctly if it is possible. I'm not sure you can buy just the center channel. If you can, I assume it would come with the correct mounting hardware.
Rex Anderson is offline  
post #16510 of 16514 Old 12-03-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,698
Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
More Dolby Atmos music coming

Dolby, WMG Partner for Dolby Atmos Music

Dolby Laboratories and Warner Music Group have announced a partnership to provide artists with an immersive platform for their music.

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/dolby-wmg-partner-for-dolby-atmos-music?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_ca mpaign=10858&utm_content=Pro_Sound_News_eNews_12%2 F3%2F19+&utm_term=1345296&m_i=ApzAsYpxvVefes3FP6r7 KloJj3uNYmcYhzpfaB68s_JdVFDLeVVvXrrrnXFMuQw%2BKPy5 cHKBBYaF%2BUFE9na6Y5R%2B%2B2XsVXAAAt&M_BT=90511852 4236
DS-21, DonH50 and Karl Maga like this.
Rex Anderson is offline  
post #16511 of 16514 Old 12-03-2019, 05:47 PM
Senior Member
 
blSwagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Dolby, WMG Partner for Dolby Atmos Music

Dolby Laboratories and Warner Music Group have announced a partnership to provide artists with an immersive platform for their music.

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/dolby-wmg-partner-for-dolby-atmos-music?utm_source=Selligent&utm_medium=email&utm_ca mpaign=10858&utm_content=Pro_Sound_News_eNews_12%2 F3%2F19+&utm_term=1345296&m_i=ApzAsYpxvVefes3FP6r7 KloJj3uNYmcYhzpfaB68s_JdVFDLeVVvXrrrnXFMuQw%2BKPy5 cHKBBYaF%2BUFE9na6Y5R%2B%2B2XsVXAAAt&M_BT=90511852 4236

Great news! My college roommate has a high level position at Warner. I just sent him a text asking if he could hook me up with Atmos DVDs.
Rex Anderson likes this.
blSwagger is offline  
post #16512 of 16514 Old 12-03-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,307
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked: 4201
"WMG record labels include Asylum, Atlantic, Big Beat, Canvasback, East West, Elektra, Erato, FFRR, Fueled by Ramen, Nonesuch, Parlophone, Reprise, Rhino, Roadrunner, Sire, Spinnin’, Warner Records, Warner Classics, and Warner Music Nashville. The group is also home to music publisher Warner Chappell Music, which boasts a catalog of more than 1.4 million copyrights worldwide."

Solid selections there! I am excited to see Rhino listed. Outside of Razor and Tie, Rhino's mastering is probably my favorite with regards to compilation and greatest hits discs.
Rex Anderson likes this.

Theater Room: JBL M2 (3), JBL 708 (4), JBL 705 (4), Lexicon MC-10, 24" DSS subs (2), Dual 18" DIY subs (2), Sony VPL-HW55ES, 127" Seymour 16:9, Oppo

Living Room: Revel 228be, Onkyo TX-RZ1100, Cambridge CXN (v2), cheapo TCL TV.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #16513 of 16514 Old 12-03-2019, 09:03 PM
Senior Member
 
ReD-BaRoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 436
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Revel In-wall vs. On wall

Hey folks,

I'm currently looking for some guidance on Revel's on-wall speakers vs. their in-wall offerings. I was specifically looking at the M10 for L/R, C10 - center, M8 for Sr/Sl.

For the fronts, I have non-insulated 2x4 walls (rigid foam insulation behind the 2x4 frame), where I could use an in-wall instead. Would an in-wall sound better than on on-wall, specifically since it's a larger sized speaker?

Thanks for any thoughts you can give.
comptr likes this.
ReD-BaRoN is offline  
post #16514 of 16514 Old Today, 01:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi SteveH - any further words on the F226be v F206 comparison?
Varejao17 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
F206 , F208 , Revel

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off