Revel Owners Thread - Page 561 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6086Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16801 of 16931 Old 01-13-2020, 08:49 AM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,282
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2052 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
The M2 is a two way speaker. If the driver and crossover are designed properly, what is the issue? The argument can be made, the fewer the crossover points the better.
The issue occurs with a MTM (mid tweeter mid) mounted horizontally which has dispersion issues off axis.
In the past, Harman did not make MTM center channels to avoid this issue.
Some designed adjust the crossover between the two mid's to combat the issue.

Vertical front, center, right do not have this issue.
The M2 mounted horizontally relies on the speaker's vertical dispersion so it may have reduced off-axis performance in this orientation.

- Rich
Molon_Labe likes this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva RMC-1 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 5 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex2 x 2
RichB is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16802 of 16931 Old 01-13-2020, 11:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The F328Be vs Salon2 discussion is interesting. I can't find the video now, but I watched a video a week or so ago where a Revel guy was comparing the two. I forget his exact words, but he said that the F328Be should have a better top end, due to its superior tweeter/waveguide, and the Salon 2 was still the flagship because of the cabinet design.

His words made me think that Salon 2 probably has better bass and mids, while the F328Be has better highs. I imagine the Salon 2 would probably win the blind, given that it's a full range test. I wonder if the F328Be could give it a run for its money though in a more realistic scenario crossed over to subs? I would never run either speaker full range anyway, so extension isn't that important for me.
richard12511 is online now  
post #16803 of 16931 Old 01-13-2020, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Ccondo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 219
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Maga View Post
Mr. Voecks has made it pretty clear that he finds the Ultima2 line to be discernibly superior. For some of us, the best is worth the price differential. For others, perhaps not.

The PerformaBe line seems to offer a superb alternative to anyone whose criteria or means leads to choosing them. And so forth down the Revel line. For me, I want as many drivers as possible to be the same, even to the point of considering Gem2’s on the ceiling in my next theater after an imminent move.
Funny you mention that... Just the other day I was trying to figure out a way to mount S206s on the ceiling for atmos. I love them as side and rear surrounds given they are fairly near-field.
Ccondo1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16804 of 16931 Old 01-13-2020, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 12,470
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3343 Post(s)
Liked: 3492
I am considering two-way speakers for heights, mounted high on the wall of my room (which is not very high), but a couple of folk suggested mounting them sideways in addition to aiming at the MLP to provide a bit better sound field for listeners on either end of the couch (again, room is not very wide).
340z likes this.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is online now  
post #16805 of 16931 Old 01-13-2020, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
Lonewolf7002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
The issue occurs with a MTM (mid tweeter mid) mounted horizontally which has dispersion issues off axis.
In the past, Harman did not make MTM center channels to avoid this issue.
Some designed adjust the crossover between the two mid's to combat the issue.

Vertical front, center, right do not have this issue.
The M2 mounted horizontally relies on the speaker's vertical dispersion so it may have reduced off-axis performance in this orientation.

- Rich
I have the C25, and to be honest I would've expected the waveguide to be horizontal like on the towers, but it's vertical instead. Wouldn't this limit the horizontal dispersion on a setup that already has horizontal dispersion issues? I'm no expert on waveguides and the spins look decent for the C25s, and I don't have any issues at home, but it's something I've always wondered.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Lonewolf7002 is online now  
post #16806 of 16931 Old 01-13-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,799
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
Isn't full disclosure that you sell ATI? I don't sell any of the amps that I recommended, or anything else for that matter.
Yes, sorry, full disclosure, I work for a dealer that sells ATI amps. Is there a written AVS rule that dealers have to disclose they are dealers of said products if they recommend something they sell? Even if it's just common courtesy, I will be sure to disclose my dealer status if I recommend a product TSR sells. Note, my signature shows I am affiliated with TSR.

FWIW, I currently own or have owned and recommend lots of equipment that TSR does not represent or sell. If you look at my posts before I started working for TSR, they were mostly about the F208's I bought and what I had learned about the science behind Revel. Funny (but sad for me) thing was, I bought from a dealer in Florida near where I lived at the time and paid a lot for them. I didn't have any communication with John Schuermann until long after my early posts. In fact, it was my posts on the Forum that led John to reach out to me.
Karl Maga and SinGA like this.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 01-13-2020 at 05:10 PM.
Rex Anderson is online now  
post #16807 of 16931 Old 01-13-2020, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,368
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3544 Post(s)
Liked: 4292
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
The F328Be vs Salon2 discussion is interesting. I can't find the video now, but I watched a video a week or so ago where a Revel guy was comparing the two. I forget his exact words, but he said that the F328Be should have a better top end, due to its superior tweeter/waveguide, and the Salon 2 was still the flagship because of the cabinet design.

His words made me think that Salon 2 probably has better bass and mids, while the F328Be has better highs. I imagine the Salon 2 would probably win the blind, given that it's a full range test. I wonder if the F328Be could give it a run for its money though in a more realistic scenario crossed over to subs? I would never run either speaker full range anyway, so extension isn't that important for me.
When you reach the level of material, design, and construction of these flagship products, the room and source material is going to be more critical than the speaker of choice. I don't think one can go wrong with any of these models. I still prefer the M2 as my all-time favorite speaker that I have heard, but the 228be is a superb speaker after spending time with it.
Rex Anderson and richard12511 like this.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #16808 of 16931 Old 01-13-2020, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bear123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PA
Posts: 6,855
Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2935 Post(s)
Liked: 4484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
I have the C25, and to be honest I would've expected the waveguide to be horizontal like on the towers, but it's vertical instead. Wouldn't this limit the horizontal dispersion on a setup that already has horizontal dispersion issues? I'm no expert on waveguides and the spins look decent for the C25s, and I don't have any issues at home, but it's something I've always wondered.
Your point makes sense. My thought, which could be absolutely incorrect, is that the issue with horizontal woofers is cancellation, in large part due to the distance by which they(the woofers) are separated. By using smaller 5.25" woofers placed very close together with a narrow waveguide for the tweeter, I'm guessing they were able to reducing lobing and such for a better off axis frequency response???


I didn't notice any of the off axis sound issues mentioned, and my measurements across the seating of my wide sectional bear this out.

Purple is the combined average of all responses, raised in level to show more clearly. Still not sure why I have so much high frequency energy at my seating, I only eq below 600 Hz.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center C25 All Seats.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	2669516  
KSpan and Lonewolf7002 like this.

Last edited by bear123; 01-13-2020 at 05:18 PM.
bear123 is online now  
post #16809 of 16931 Old 01-13-2020, 07:18 PM
Member
 
Mark6088's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
To me what stands on this 3 way test is how well the F206 did; I use mine with dual Outlaw X12 subs. In this test the results sure seem like the F206 is screaming bargain cost wise vs the F208 & Salon 2
Good point! I am trying to decide between purchasing the F36s and the F206s. This discussion concerning the testing between the F206, F208 and Studio 2s really does speak well of the F206s.

Yamaha Aventage RX-A2060 AVR, 2 X Outlaw Audio Model 2200 Amps (fronts), Klipsch: RP-280F, RP-250F (surrounds), RP-250C, R-14S (F. Presence); SVS SB-3000 SWs X 2, Bluesound Node 2i, Samsung BD-F5900 BP, Roku Ultra, LG OLED 55C6P UHD.
Mark6088 is offline  
post #16810 of 16931 Old 01-13-2020, 07:59 PM
Member
 
cdj123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
The F328Be vs Salon2 discussion is interesting. I can't find the video now, but I watched a video a week or so ago where a Revel guy was comparing the two. I forget his exact words, but he said that the F328Be should have a better top end, due to its superior tweeter/waveguide, and the Salon 2 was still the flagship because of the cabinet design.

His words made me think that Salon 2 probably has better bass and mids, while the F328Be has better highs. I imagine the Salon 2 would probably win the blind, given that it's a full range test. I wonder if the F328Be could give it a run for its money though in a more realistic scenario crossed over to subs? I would never run either speaker full range anyway, so extension isn't that important for me.
I also find this a very interesting discussion. Please post the video if you find it. I may be looking for a speaker change (F328Be or Ultima3). I wonder if in a good (not great) room if these subtleties are audible (especially with Dirac).

It seems as if “maybe“ the Ultima3 should be right around the corner.
cdj123 is offline  
post #16811 of 16931 Old 01-13-2020, 11:06 PM
Senior Member
 
russ_777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
The F328Be vs Salon2 discussion is interesting. I can't find the video now, but I watched a video a week or so ago where a Revel guy was comparing the two. I forget his exact words, but he said that the F328Be should have a better top end, due to its superior tweeter/waveguide, and the Salon 2 was still the flagship because of the cabinet design.

His words made me think that Salon 2 probably has better bass and mids, while the F328Be has better highs. I imagine the Salon 2 would probably win the blind, given that it's a full range test. I wonder if the F328Be could give it a run for its money though in a more realistic scenario crossed over to subs? I would never run either speaker full range anyway, so extension isn't that important for me.
I'm not that familiar with the differences in design and engineering of the drivers between the two systems other than what's in the cut sheets, but taken as systems, the fact that the Salon2 is 4 way and the 328 3 way has to have some significant performance consequences. The 328's tweeter has to play a couple hundred Hertz lower than the Salons. The 328's midrange has to cover over 3 octaves; the Salon's exactly 2 octaves. The LF drivers on the Salons only have to cover up to 150 Hz instead of 240. That adds up to more transparency, less distortion and higher output...on paper.

Probably the most attractive thing to me with the 328s is they're 4+ dB more sensitive than the Salons. For someone with some budget constraints that makes a difference in amplifier cost. I think the 228Be's are the better deal though and the 208's are a steal.

If I were king for a day and managed the Revel portfolio, if I was told by staff that the 328 has better HF performance than the product that is supposed to be my flagship, why would I not just roll out the Salon3 with a SOTA tweeter/waveguide? It's not like you'd have to do a redesign/retooling to produce the cabinet.

Revel Ultima Salon2 x2; Paradigm Servo-15; Denon AVR-4311CI; Apple MacMini; Audirvana 3.5; Spotify Premium; Amazon Music HD; Sony UBP-X1000ES; Roku Ultra; Vizio 75 PQX, JVC RS40; DaLite 102" screen; Gallo Reference 3.5 x4; Gallo Strada II x1; Denon AVR-3805
-----------------
Yamaha ASR-7850; KEF LS50 x2; HSU ULS-15II; Panasonic 55GT30; Roku 4
russ_777 is offline  
post #16812 of 16931 Old 01-14-2020, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
jkscherk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
I can't wait to see how the 4 Wyred4Sound SX-1000R monos drive the pair of Salon2s. Pairing them with a Mac C47 with dual sets of balanced or unbalanced outputs makes the big setup a breeze to connect and with the dual trigger power control its a one push start-up/shutdown process! I just hope the rental house circuits can handle the load.
So the evaluation is done/over. Was it 100% scientific? Absolutely not! Was it the best I could do in my space with my resources? Absolutely yes! Here’s what I did and what I found. You may agree or disagree, but at the end of the day, I chose what made me happiest on as many dimensions as possible. All comparisons were level matched using pink noise to within 0.5 db.

Stage 1: Compare the Peachtree nova500(nova) standalone to the nova as a pre/dac driving 2 Wyred4Sound SX-1000R(Wyred) mono blocs. In both cases, the Salon2s were bi-wired using runs of Kimber 8TC. I used 5 different music tracks, listening to about 60 seconds of each track before changing from one setup to the other. I tried to get a very good feel for each segment of music on one setup before switching. This usually took 2-3 playthroughs of the segment. It took me the better part of half a day to go through this exercise. Listening to one segment a few times; getting up and physically moving the speaker wires from the terminals of the one amp to the other; repeat; repeat; repeat. You get the picture. What I found was the Wyred amps had more fullness and control especially over the lower regions of the music. Bass was tighter and more controlled. Vocals, especially male, seemed to be more ‘present’ in the room. It just sounded like the performer was more ‘real’ and in the room with me than the nova. I found it to be clearly identifiable on almost all music. Overall, I just preferred the Wyred sound more. Was it a huge difference? Heck no! I’d give the Wyred amps half a letter grade better score.

Stage 2: Compare the nova as a pre/dac to the Mcintosh C47(Mac) using 2 Wyred amps in the same configuration as in Stage 2. The nova used single-ended connections into the Wyred while the Mac used balanced connections. Switching this time entailed a simple toggle of the XLR/unbal switch on the back of each Wyred AND moving the USB cable out from the Aurender between the USB inputs on the nova and Mac respectively. I used a different set of 5 tracks this time as I didn't want to have my brain think I was hearing something the same as before when in reality, it might really sound a bit different. However, this time I broke-up my listening session into 2: 1 session the second part of the first day and a repeat session the morning of the next day. This Stage of comparisons was more difficult. I expected just the opposite. For years I’ve believed (through reading, discussions, experts, etc.) that the pre-amp has much more to do with your sound than an amplifier. That could still be very true, but if so, that means these two pre/dac setups were VERY close to start. It took me longer to hear the differences this time around but I was able to consistently notice a difference between the two. The nova initially sounded more open, with great width to the soundstage and more ‘air’ around vocals. The Mac had a more focused and centered soundstage but didn’t seem to expand as much to the sides. At least that’s what I thought initially. More listening showed that there was just as much width to the stage with the Mac, but the vocals especially seemed more focused and, I hate to use the term again, ‘real’ in the presentation. I also think the bass was a bit tighter with the Mac. I went back and forth a lot in this Stage. Almost 5 hours! At times I thought the nova was better…depending on the track. Other times I gave the nod to the Mac. However, after a very long session of back and forth, I once again, preferred a sound that just seemed more ‘real’ to me. One that sounded like the performers were in the room. And in this case, it was the Mac. Here I’d say the Mac was MAYBE half a letter grade better.

Stage 3: Compare bi-amping the Salon2s with 4 Wyreds v. single amping with 2. Honestly……I gave up at this point. I knew that I couldn’t do worse using 4 v. 2 and it could only be better. How much better? I’d guess that we are once again talking about MAYBE half a letter grade. Some day when I have more time and feeling a bit bored, I’ll actually do this comparison. Sure, I might not need the second set as I now have over 1200 [email protected] going into the top half and the same into the bottom half……of EACH SPEAKER!! But for now, I just decided to use all 4 and not think “….what might have been……”

Final thoughts: If I had not been able to hear the setups side-by-side in the same room with same speaks and cable, etc. I would never have been able to come to this conclusion: The separates are better. However, I will say this too: the nova500 is an unbelievable piece of gear. A one-box $3500 MSRP solution that holds its own against almost $12,000 of separates is pretty damn impressive feat. And the fact that it does so driving a world-class speaker like the Salon2 is even more impressive. So, I am keeping the separates, and running all 4 Wyred amps in a bi-amp monobloc setup. Overkill? Yep!! But last night when I sat down to listen, I had big-ass grin on my face. I’ve NEVER heard these speakers sound this good in my room. If you wouldn’t know better, you’d swear there is at least one, if not two subs being used in stereo. Not overpowering, just unbelievably tight, controlled and deep bass. Oh….and it doesn’t hurt that you can turn it up as loud as you can physically stand it and the sound signature doesn’t change…..AT ALL. Who says 2-channel is dead??!!!
jima4a, torii and Varejao17 like this.

Control: Denon AVR-X3600H, Emotiva BasX A-300
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 LCR, BA VSi 593(4), BA VSi 560(4), BA e60(2), Seaton SubM F2+Slave
Display: 2.40:1 Seymour XD, JVC RS-600 + Panamorph Paladin
Sources: Nvidia Shield, Oppo 205, Roku Ultra, ATT UVerse, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD
2-CH: Revel Salon2, McIntosh C47, Wyred4Sound SX-1000R (4), Aurender N100H, Kimber 8TC
jkscherk is offline  
post #16813 of 16931 Old 01-14-2020, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
jkscherk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Salon2s with Wyred+Mac

pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-13 09.44.16.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2669860   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-13 09.44.38.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2669862   Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-13 09.43.23.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	2669864  
Meetloaf13 and Varejao17 like this.

Control: Denon AVR-X3600H, Emotiva BasX A-300
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 LCR, BA VSi 593(4), BA VSi 560(4), BA e60(2), Seaton SubM F2+Slave
Display: 2.40:1 Seymour XD, JVC RS-600 + Panamorph Paladin
Sources: Nvidia Shield, Oppo 205, Roku Ultra, ATT UVerse, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD
2-CH: Revel Salon2, McIntosh C47, Wyred4Sound SX-1000R (4), Aurender N100H, Kimber 8TC
jkscherk is offline  
post #16814 of 16931 Old 01-14-2020, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Lonewolf7002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Your point makes sense. My thought, which could be absolutely incorrect, is that the issue with horizontal woofers is cancellation, in large part due to the distance by which they(the woofers) are separated. By using smaller 5.25" woofers placed very close together with a narrow waveguide for the tweeter, I'm guessing they were able to reducing lobing and such for a better off axis frequency response???
Hmm, interesting thought. I'd love to know for sure, just to satisfy my curiosity.

I haven't done any REW sweeps to see how the measurements stack up, but while sitting across my small seating area I have never noticed an issue. I might have to load up REW just for the heck of it.

Samsung KS8000, Denon AVR-X3300W, Xbox One X, Samsung UBD-K8500 4K bluray player, Himedia Q5 Pro android box
Lonewolf7002 is online now  
post #16815 of 16931 Old 01-14-2020, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,799
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Both the F328Be and the Salon2 are optimized systems. The fact the F328Be has a different waveguide just means it was optimized for that speaker. The Salon2 waveguide is optimized for it. The job is to produce a seamless transition to the midrange driver below it. The motor structures for all of the drivers in the Salon2 are huge, massive and can handle higher power levels. Again, look at the weight difference between the two: 146 pounds vs 90 pounds. Some of it is cabinet weight, the rest is the drivers. And yes, having the extra 4" high frequency driver is an advantage. Dr. Toole chose the Salon2 and stated he felt it handled the critical midrange band better than the Studio2.

For the sake of those who can't afford the Salon2 or don't feel it's worth the extra money, I really do hope the F328Be provides nearly as good performance. If I get the opportunity to compare the two in the MLL, I will give a full report.
Rex Anderson is online now  
post #16816 of 16931 Old 01-14-2020, 12:35 PM
Oppo Beta Group
 
RichB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 11,282
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2052 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
pics
It looks like a great system. Definitely, overkill

So what are the firehoses hooked to on the bottom right?

- Rich

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva RMC-1 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 5 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex2 x 2
RichB is online now  
post #16817 of 16931 Old 01-14-2020, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
jkscherk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 766
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
It looks like a great system. Definitely, overkill

So what are the firehoses hooked to on the bottom right?

- Rich
Thanks.

Two of the four power cords going to the amps. The other two are behind the rack. Just set up this way due to the way the cords go in and out of the PS Audio Ultimate Outlet. That's on the list to be replaced by a PSA UPC-200 just like the one on the right. :-)
Varejao17 likes this.

Control: Denon AVR-X3600H, Emotiva BasX A-300
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 LCR, BA VSi 593(4), BA VSi 560(4), BA e60(2), Seaton SubM F2+Slave
Display: 2.40:1 Seymour XD, JVC RS-600 + Panamorph Paladin
Sources: Nvidia Shield, Oppo 205, Roku Ultra, ATT UVerse, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD
2-CH: Revel Salon2, McIntosh C47, Wyred4Sound SX-1000R (4), Aurender N100H, Kimber 8TC
jkscherk is offline  
post #16818 of 16931 Old 01-14-2020, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Quattro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bloomington, MN
Posts: 229
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
^Label all of this as IMO and no more than that.

I upgraded to F208's in April, along with a C208 center and a pair of M106's for surround in a 5.1.0 system. They are driven by an Anthem A5 amp fronted by an Anthem AVM 60 processor using Anthem's Room Correction software. ARC only is used to correct from 500 Hz and lower due to specific room issues. There's also a sub in the mix crossed over at 80 Hz. Movies / TV are all 5.1 while music is typically in 2.0 or 2.1.

I've found the F208's to be pretty neutral. With average to good source material, HF isn't bright or harsh but with poor content it can be unlistenable except perhaps at low volume. Also, my room has some acoustic treatment -- the F208's won't fix that.

The F208's have a rated sensitivity of 88.5 dB, and the Revel doc recommends 50 to 350W. LF extension is rated -3 dB at 31 Hz, -6 dB at 27 Hz.

Not sure how long these have been in production. Someone here likely knows.

My home theater is in a family room rather than a dedicated room and it has worked out very well. Music is almost always great thru the F208's with or without the sub. Blu ray (especially 4k uhd) movies can be extraordinary. Streamed movies can also be very good. Even OTA TV can be great. My wife and I continue to be surprised (in a good way) by their level of performance. Overall, no regrets and I'd buy them again.

If you can find them locally, I think they are worth auditioning.

EDIT: In case this matters to anyone, I am just a customer and AV enthusiast, not in the industry in any way.
Bill, sounds like you’re not a surround sound music fan. Curious if you have you tried listening to music with the Anthem Logic mode?
Quattro is offline  
post #16819 of 16931 Old 01-14-2020, 08:32 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
When you reach the level of material, design, and construction of these flagship products, the room and source material is going to be more critical than the speaker of choice. I don't think one can go wrong with any of these models. I still prefer the M2 as my all-time favorite speaker that I have heard, but the 228be is a superb speaker after spending time with it.
Reading through your previous posts, it appears you own the Salon 2 as well . I'd love to have the Salon 2 and M2 side by side to compare in my own home, maybe I will someday. One thing I've learned in the decade or so that I've been at this(since college), is that I'm better off just saving for what I really want, rather than getting something slightly better every couple years. Much cheaper this way, for me.

How would you describe the pros and cons of the Salon 2 vs M2 for music? I'm fairly confident I'll prefer the M2 for theater, but I've never heard either.
richard12511 is online now  
post #16820 of 16931 Old 01-14-2020, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Bill-99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,682
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Bill, sounds like you’re not a surround sound music fan. Curious if you have you tried listening to music with the Anthem Logic mode?
You know, I've played with it off and on -- it's on at the moment. But it would be fair to say I haven't spent enough time trying it to decide whether it should be the go-to choice over 2.0/2.1. At the moment, our system is getting the most use for home theater -- probably around 95%. And with a little luck, this system will move from 5.1.0 to 5.1.4 over the next couple of months. Will that mean more music or less? I sure don't know! Should be fun to find out.
Quattro and Karl Maga like this.


5.1.0 Main System: Anthem AVM 60 | Anthem Statement A5 | Revel F208s, C208, M106s | Velodyne FSR-12 | Samsung UN65KS800DF | Oppo UDP-203 | Roku Premiere+ | DIY HTPC | Logitech Harmony Companion | Amazon Echo Dot
Bill-99 is online now  
post #16821 of 16931 Old 01-14-2020, 08:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Both the F328Be and the Salon2 are optimized systems. The fact the F328Be has a different waveguide just means it was optimized for that speaker. The Salon2 waveguide is optimized for it. The job is to produce a seamless transition to the midrange driver below it. The motor structures for all of the drivers in the Salon2 are huge, massive and can handle higher power levels. Again, look at the weight difference between the two: 146 pounds vs 90 pounds. Some of it is cabinet weight, the rest is the drivers. And yes, having the extra 4" high frequency driver is an advantage. Dr. Toole chose the Salon2 and stated he felt it handled the critical midrange band better than the Studio2.

For the sake of those who can't afford the Salon2 or don't feel it's worth the extra money, I really do hope the F328Be provides nearly as good performance. If I get the opportunity to compare the two in the MLL, I will give a full report.
I figured it might not be as easy as taking the tweeter/waveguide out of the F328Be and putting it in the Salon, even if it is technically a better tweeter/waveguide. Who knows, Revel may have already tried that.

Could also be a budget thing. I think Floyd mentioned (in the science thread?) that if Revel ever improved on the design of the Salon 2, they would have to increase the price. To me, that says that they're not satisfied with the profits they're making for that speaker at $22k. Those cabinets must be very expensive, and adding a more expensive tweeter/waveguide would cut into profits even more.

If you do get to hear them side by side, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I've mainly just been considering the Salon 2 and M2, but that video I saw(wish I could find it again) made me wonder if I should also be looking at the F328Be. Value matters less to me than absolute performance, as I know my brain, and I know the cheaper loudspeaker is actually the more expensive choice, as I'll eventually end up buying the better performing loudspeaker anyway. Better for me to just do without until I can afford what I really want.

Last edited by richard12511; 01-14-2020 at 08:58 PM.
richard12511 is online now  
post #16822 of 16931 Old 01-14-2020, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,799
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
I figured it might not be as easy as taking the tweeter/waveguide out of the F328Be and putting it in the Salon, even if it is technically a better tweeter/waveguide. Who knows, Revel may have already tried that.

Could also be a budget thing. I think Floyd mentioned (in the science thread?) that if Revel ever improved on the design of the Salon 2, they would have to increase the price. To me, that says that they're not satisfied with the profits they're making for that speaker at $22k. Those cabinets must be very expensive, and adding a more expensive tweeter/waveguide would cut into profits even more.

If you do get to hear them side by side, I'd love to hear your thoughts. I've mainly just been considering the Salon 2 and M2, but that video I saw(wish I could find it again) made me wonder if I should also be looking at the F328Be. Value matters less to me than absolute performance, as I know my brain, and I know the cheaper loudspeaker is actually the more expensive choice, as I'll eventually end up buying the better performing loudspeaker anyway. Better for me to just do without until I can afford what I really want.

You still don't get it. Every Revel speaker is designed from the ground up. The Salon2 does not need a better tweeter/waveguide. The tweeter in it is superior to the Be series and the waveguide/crossover is optimized for the speaker.
Rex Anderson is online now  
post #16823 of 16931 Old 01-15-2020, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,368
Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3544 Post(s)
Liked: 4292
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
Reading through your previous posts, it appears you own the Salon 2 as well . I'd love to have the Salon 2 and M2 side by side to compare in my own home, maybe I will someday. One thing I've learned in the decade or so that I've been at this(since college), is that I'm better off just saving for what I really want, rather than getting something slightly better every couple years. Much cheaper this way, for me.

How would you describe the pros and cons of the Salon 2 vs M2 for music? I'm fairly confident I'll prefer the M2 for theater, but I've never heard either.
Sorry, but I don't own the Salon 2. The only Revel speaker I own is the 228.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #16824 of 16931 Old 01-15-2020, 07:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
You still don't get it. Every Revel speaker is designed from the ground up. The Salon2 does not need a better tweeter/waveguide. The tweeter in it is superior to the Be series and the waveguide/crossover is optimized for the speaker.
I think you misunderstand me, or maybe I’m not understanding you. I probably didn’t explain myself well, as I agree 100%, and that’s kinda the point I was trying to make.

The point I was trying to make was, just because the Revel guy says the Be has a better top end, that doesn’t mean you could improve the Salon 2 by swapping in the better tweeter/waveguide, as the Salons cabinet and crossover network were designed for the tweeter/waveguide that it has. Someone mentioned swapping the parts in a post above, and I was questioning that.
Rex Anderson likes this.
richard12511 is online now  
post #16825 of 16931 Old 01-15-2020, 07:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Sorry, but I don't own the Salon 2. The only Revel speaker I own is the 228.
Sorry, I must have gotten you mixed up with someone else.
richard12511 is online now  
post #16826 of 16931 Old 01-15-2020, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
blSwagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
... the Revel guy says the Be has a better top end [than the Salon 2].
Can you post a link to this? Are you referring to something Jim Garrett said at Cedia 2019?
blSwagger is offline  
post #16827 of 16931 Old 01-15-2020, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 1,799
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1178 Post(s)
Liked: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
I think you misunderstand me, or maybe I’m not understanding you. I probably didn’t explain myself well, as I agree 100%, and that’s kinda the point I was trying to make.

The point I was trying to make was, just because the Revel guy says the Be has a better top end, that doesn’t mean you could improve the Salon 2 by swapping in the better tweeter/waveguide, as the Salons cabinet and crossover network were designed for the tweeter/waveguide that it has. Someone mentioned swapping the parts in a post above, and I was questioning that.

Yes I did misunderstand what you were saying, sorry about that! We are on the same page now...
Rex Anderson is online now  
post #16828 of 16931 Old 01-15-2020, 10:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 30,370
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12511 View Post
The point I was trying to make was, just because the Revel guy says the Be has a better top end..................
Let me put my 2cents in here and say that such a statement is simplistic. There are differences and what constitutes "better" needs to be defined more acutely.
DS-21 and DonH50 like this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #16829 of 16931 Old 01-15-2020, 10:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
Can you post a link to this? Are you referring to something Jim Garrett said at Cedia 2019?
I think it was at Cedia 2019, but I'm not sure. It was definitely around that time. I'm not sure on who the representative from Revel was, but he had gray hair. I'm at work right now so I can't look it up. If it helps you find it, I remember the 328Be was in gloss red. I remember because the interviewer compares the finish to a Ferrari. I would search "New Revel Be line Cedia 2019" or something along those lines on Youtube.

The interviewer straight up asked how the 328Be compares to the Salon 2. I don't remember his exact wording of his response, but the summary was something like:

- Salon 2 better overall, but 328Be very close
- Salon 2 has a much better baffle
- 328Be has a much better waveguide
richard12511 is online now  
post #16830 of 16931 Old 01-15-2020, 10:38 AM
Senior Member
 
blSwagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 317
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
So the evaluation is done/over. Was it 100% scientific? Absolutely not! Was it the best I could do in my space with my resources? Absolutely yes! Here’s what I did and what I found. You may agree or disagree, but at the end of the day, I chose what made me happiest on as many dimensions as possible. All comparisons were level matched using pink noise to within 0.5 db.

Stage 1: Compare the Peachtree nova500(nova) standalone to the nova as a pre/dac driving 2 Wyred4Sound SX-1000R(Wyred) mono blocs. ... Overall, I just preferred the Wyred sound more. Was it a huge difference? Heck no! I’d give the Wyred amps half a letter grade better score.


Final thoughts: If I had not been able to hear the setups side-by-side in the same room with same speaks and cable, etc. I would never have been able to come to this conclusion: The separates are better. However, I will say this too: the nova500 is an unbelievable piece of gear. A one-box $3500 MSRP solution that holds its own against almost $12,000 of separates is pretty damn impressive feat. And the fact that it does so driving a world-class speaker like the Salon2 is even more impressive.
Thanks for the evaluation. I am trying to decide between the $3,500 Anthem MRX 1120 with the well regarded ARC Genesis room correction, or the JBL Synthesis SDP-55 pre/pro plus ATI amps, which would list over $11k of separates for 9 channels of amplification. The release of the SDP-55 has been delayed to the end of the quarter; Dirac Live isn't available for it yet and the firmware is still very buggy - see threads Re: Arcam. I don't see myself upgrading for at least 15 years, so I want to make sure I make the right decision.

I will be hooking it up to f226Be's and c426Be for L/C/R, 4 c763l's for Atmos, and either f206's or f36's for surrounds.
blSwagger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
c426be , F206 , F208 , f228be , Revel

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off