Revel Owners Thread - Page 587 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6540Likes

post #17581 of 17651 Old 03-25-2020, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 1396
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
“Neck strain” from watching TV is made up. If you are reclined at all, your gaze will be cast downward for typical tv mounting height. Try it and see. Sit back with your eyes closed. Open them with a neutral gaze, neck relaxed, and I bet most people’s gaze is close to the ceiling. Neck strain.
Agreed but there are limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Your assumption is dependent upon one's furniture and is inaccurate for my configuration. I have a sofa and a swivel chair in my gameroom, not a recliner, so I will never be in a reclined position.
I always recline on my sofa.

Quote:
It also depends upon viewing distance, as a TV can be comfortably mounted higher as viewing distance increases.
Agreed.

Quote:
The middle of the TV in the range of 40-44" from the floor is perfect for my furniture and viewing distance.
Hmmm. My display has its bottom edge at a height of 42" from the floor and we are quite comfortable with it at a viewing distance of 13'. OTOH, in another TV room with wall mounted speakers and a horizontal center below the screen, the TV is at the same comfortable height with a viewing distance of less than 10'.
bear123 likes this.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Last edited by Kal Rubinson; 03-25-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17582 of 17651 Old 03-25-2020, 12:22 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 1549
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post
Sure, each person needs to decide what their priorities are. But just as an example, it would probably be a really bad idea to have 3 Salon2's across the front and a 77" display above them even if your seats are tilted back. That's why I've got 6 Salon2's and a Voice2 so I can have my TV at a height that doesn't cause neck strain when watching movies and TV.
My choice was to put the display lower and the Voice2 above the screen.
That seems like it would be a problem but when seated or reclined, the Salon2 tweeter and Voice2 are all above and it is not an issue (for me and mine).

It would be nice if Revel had some level of support for folks mounting speakers.
When mounting my M126Be's in the game room, I had to make custom adapters for the OmniMounts (now a legacy product).
Would it kill them to provide mechanical drawings or go state-of-the-art and provide a printable template?

- Rich
Karl Maga likes this.

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva RMC-1 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 5 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex2 x 2
post #17583 of 17651 Old 03-25-2020, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
@Ccondo1 posted a pic of his c426be in this post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post59214866

It is unclear how he got his the first week of February when @Rex Anderson said that Revel hasn't started shipping them yet (as of 3/20/20): https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post59389148

Maybe there was a small batch that went out before COVID-19 hit?

Unclear to me too. I'll check with our rep to see what he says.
blSwagger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17584 of 17651 Old 03-25-2020, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumminj View Post
Thanks. Do you feel the C205 is lacking, now that you have it, or did you just want the C208 to ensure the best possible experience?
I would prefer to have a 3-way center channel, my outermost theater seats are about 20 degrees off axis and I believe the C208 or C426BE would perform better there (although I am rarely in those seats)

This very well could be in my head or specific to my setup, but I also lose the ventriloquist effect (sounds appearing to come from the screen instead of center speaker below the screen) when I am sitting in the outermost theater seats. I don't recall this happening with my older 3-way center but many things have changed with my setup over the past couple years.

JVC RS-440 | SI Slate 1.2 120" Zero Edge 16x9 screen | Fusion Lagoon Seating
Denon x4300H | Revel 5.1.4 F206/C205/W893/C763 | Dayton
Sealed 18-HO | Behringer EP4000
Tivo Bolt | Oppo 203 | Apple TV 4K | PS4 Pro | Nvidia Shield TV
post #17585 of 17651 Old 03-25-2020, 12:41 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2058 Post(s)
Liked: 2566
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
“Neck strain” from watching TV is made up. If you are reclined at all, your gaze will be cast downward for typical tv mounting height. Try it and see. Sit back with your eyes closed. Open them with a neutral gaze, neck relaxed, and I bet most people’s gaze is close to the ceiling. Neck strain.
The correct TV height might be debatable, but neck strain if things are setup poorly certainly is not "made up" - it's a very real thing.

My TV is on a Salamander Synergy 20 cabinet with casters, so the top of the cabinet is about 22-24" off the floor. The stand on the TV, a LG G7 77" OLED, doesn't raise the bottom of the display up too much, so the bottom of my actual display is probably 26-28" off the floor. I'm about 6' tall and sit on a Hancock & Moore leather sofa about 9' from the TV. Sitting on the sofa, which has a back that slopes back slightly (and with my feet up to be comfortable) is just about the perfect height to look straight at the TV. If I had the TV above a center Salon2, I would be looking WAY up to see it - that wouldn't be even remotely comfortable.

I didn't just blindly follow industry guidelines when I set my system up as I wanted to ensure I would be comfortable, so I took some measurements and did some testing to make sure I got things as good as I could with the constraints my room imposes factored in. If your setup is comfortable and you're happy with it, that's all that really matters in the end, but the general guideline of not mounting a TV above a fireplace or otherwise high up is good advice in most cases. People should at least think this through and try to experience various options in person before making an expensive purchase they might not be happy with (that goes for both options - high and low).

I've been to @RichB 's place a number of times and his setup works very well too.
RichB, Milt99 and kma100 like this.
post #17586 of 17651 Old 03-25-2020, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 987
how tall are your ceilings for those of you putting 77 inch TV’s above Salon2’s?
gsr likes this.
post #17587 of 17651 Old 03-25-2020, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked: 4852
Quote:
Sure, each person needs to decide what their priorities are. But just as an example, it would probably be a really bad idea to have 3 Salon2's across the front and a 77" display above them even if your seats are tilted back. That's why I've got 6 Salon2's and a Voice2 so I can have my TV at a height that doesn't cause neck strain when watching movies and TV.
You'd have to mount a TV pretty darn high to get it above Salon 2's, thats for sure! Would probably work well for some of the shorter towers like F206 and such.

My seats don't recline..just a sectional, but when seated comfortably for movies, my neutral gaze is actually towards the top of my TV which is mounted quite high due to my fireplace.

I can see if people are quite close it would be more of an issue. My TV is almost up against my 9' ceiling, and it is completely comfortable to view even though it "appears" very high. I can glance down a couple of feet to a more traditional mounting height, and moving my eyes a few degrees doesn't seem to cause any undue physical strain or hardship, injuries, etc.

Now if I had seats that tilted back, I would have to direct my gaze downward to view my TV even though it is mounted very high. Perhaps not in your specific case, but I think many people don't realize that they are directing their gaze down for TV viewing when not sitting bolt upright. Everyone is different of course, but myself and all family members tend to lean back comfortably for movies, other than my wife who usually sits very upright to knit.

If I sit bolt upright, my direct gaze is about a foot below my center channel which sits above the mantle. I don't know that I have ever sat that way for a movie though.

I think even though my TV is probably at the proper height for a neutral gaze when viewing, I would probably lower it some just for aesthetic purposes, but not all the way down to what is considered "normal".....but even then, gazing down a little bit with the eyes isn't very hard.

Regarding center channels, I would have *loved* to have gotten the 3 way C208 for output and potential sound quality reasons. Unfortunately, the C25 is right at the size limit for a center channel without blocking my screen. I was concerned about having two 5.25" woofers for the main speaker in a home theater application, but so far it seems to be working fine. I'm usually not any louder than -10 MV for movies, and, looking at spins, it seems to measure quite well. I actually didn't see any justification for moving up in price to the C205..same size drivers, same extension, power handling, and sensitivity. Are the drivers better in the C205? Maybe, Idunno, but the specs and measurements aren't any better, and the C25 is a better aesthetic match to my towers(with grilles off).

Last edited by bear123; 03-25-2020 at 02:14 PM.
post #17588 of 17651 Old 03-25-2020, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
Hmmm. My display has its bottom edge at a height of 42" from the floor and we are quite comfortable with it at a viewing distance of 13'. OTOH, in another TV room with wall mounted speakers and a horizontal center below the screen, the TV is at the same comfortable height with a viewing distance of less than 10'.

There are so many variables in terms of furniture design and each person's body that it is difficult to generalize. Also, people sometimes sit on the floor in my game room in front of the sofa when gaming, making the TV on the lower side a better compromise between the sofa and floor seating positions.
bear123 likes this.
post #17589 of 17651 Old 03-25-2020, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm about 6' tall and sit on a Hancock & Moore leather sofa about 9' from the TV. Sitting on the sofa, which has a back that slopes back slightly (and with my feet up to be comfortable) is just about the perfect height to look straight at the TV. If I had the TV above a center Salon2, I would be looking WAY up to see it - that wouldn't be even remotely comfortable.

I also have a H&M sofa in my game room. Their furniture is comfortable, but their sofas normally have a seat rake that does not lend itself well to slouching or reclining.
post #17590 of 17651 Old 03-25-2020, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked: 4852
Quote:
There are so many variables in terms of furniture design and each person's body that it is difficult to generalize. Also, people sometimes sit on the floor in my game room in front of the sofa when gaming, making the TV on the lower side a better compromise between the sofa and floor seating positions.
If we sat on the floor for gaming, my TV height would be atrocious. Really no solution for my current room though. Possibility of moving in a couple years and I hope to end up with a room with a free wall where I can run identical LCR and the TV mounted a bit lower for aesthetics. No media or entertainment center underneath/on display. Remote mounted equipment for the cleanest look. Or maybe a floating shelf on either side of the center speaker with perhaps AVR on one side, and a nice 3 channel amp on the other side for symmetry? Not sure if that would look good or not.
post #17591 of 17651 Old 03-26-2020, 05:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
Unclear to me too. I'll check with our rep to see what he says.
When the speaker was announced I discussed with my dealer that I wanted one. Then in January I reached out again. He called me shortly after and said a limited number were coming via air and the rest via ship later and if I wanted it soon to go ahead and pay to get my place in line. The speaker arrived a week later. Glad it did! Watching movies like crazy since everything is shut down. Even my wife who doesn’t understand my upgrade obsession has noticed a clear improvement with the C426Be. Fantastic speaker. Now I’m obsessed with the idea of getting the same tweeter in all my surrounds, hopefully Harmon will oblige.
gsr, madhuski and vavan like this.
post #17592 of 17651 Old 03-26-2020, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I'm considering a pair of F206, M126Be, or JBL HDI-3600 for primarily 2 channel music listening. My room is acoustically challenged - it's large and L-shaped, with the only feasible speaker positioning at the top of the long "stick" of the L (firing down the long way). That long stick is also skinny - 10' wide, 25' long, with a 7.5" ceiling. Making things worse, the side walls are dissimilar - one side has a window squarely at the first reflection point, and the other has a door jamb about 3' longitudinally offset from the window. (Short part of the L is about 14' by 14'.)

My LS50s have an exceedingly tiny sweet spot in this room - things go totally out of whack by just moving my head by a few inches from side to side. They also struggle to with the size of the room, even with a sub with good response down to 17hz in-room (Monolith 10) - they just can't pump out enough volume from 70hz to Schroeder.

My question is this: Would I be best served with speakers with wider or narrower dispersion? Of the above speakers, assuming I'll run the aforementioned sub (without bass management for now), which would you recommend?
post #17593 of 17651 Old 03-26-2020, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglehoser View Post
Hi all, I'm considering a pair of F206, M126Be, or JBL HDI-3600 for primarily 2 channel music listening. My room is acoustically challenged - it's large and L-shaped, with the only feasible speaker positioning at the top of the long "stick" of the L (firing down the long way). That long stick is also skinny - 10' wide, 25' long, with a 7.5" ceiling. Making things worse, the side walls are dissimilar - one side has a window squarely at the first reflection point, and the other has a door jamb about 3' longitudinally offset from the window. (Short part of the L is about 14' by 14'.)

My LS50s have an exceedingly tiny sweet spot in this room - things go totally out of whack by just moving my head by a few inches from side to side. They also struggle to with the size of the room, even with a sub with good response down to 17hz in-room (Monolith 10) - they just can't pump out enough volume from 70hz to Schroeder.

My question is this: Would I be best served with speakers with wider or narrower dispersion? Of the above speakers, assuming I'll run the aforementioned sub (without bass management for now), which would you recommend?
Get a second sub, it will help smooth out the LF response and give more of it. I would go with floor standing speakers (either the F206 or HDI-3600, both are excellent) for higher output capability and better LF extension down to the 80Hz crossover point. You need some room treatment to deal with the comb filtering/cancellations you are hearing when you move your head around. Absorbing the first reflection point should help. Narrower dispersion might help too, but given the 10' width, the speakers have to be close to side walls to get enough separation. Are you sitting at the apex of an equilateral triangle?
post #17594 of 17651 Old 03-26-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Get a second sub, it will help smooth out the LF response and give more of it. I would go with floor standing speakers (either the F206 or HDI-3600, both are excellent) for higher output capability and better LF extension down to the 80Hz crossover point. You need some room treatment to deal with the comb filtering/cancellations you are hearing when you move your head around. Absorbing the first reflection point should help. Narrower dispersion might help too, but given the 10' width, the speakers have to be close to side walls to get enough separation. Are you sitting at the apex of an equilateral triangle?
Rex, thanks for the response. I'll try playing around with absorbers. Presently, yes, I am seated at roughly the apex of an equilateral triangle (distance between speakers is about 6.5'; distance to from each speaker to listening position is closer to 7'). Far be it to ask this question in a Revel-focused thread, but might I be better served with something like the KEF R7, which seems to have similarly smooth directivity to the F206 but generally narrower dispersion? And as between the F206 and HDI-3600, which would you choose (by the numbers, in any case) for this application?
post #17595 of 17651 Old 03-26-2020, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
My choice was to put the display lower and the Voice2 above the screen.
That seems like it would be a problem but when seated or reclined, the Salon2 tweeter and Voice2 are all above and it is not an issue (for me and mine).

It would be nice if Revel had some level of support for folks mounting speakers.
When mounting my M126Be's in the game room, I had to make custom adapters for the OmniMounts (now a legacy product).
Would it kill them to provide mechanical drawings or go state-of-the-art and provide a printable template?

- Rich

How did you mount the Voice2 above the screen? Was it a totally custom job? Mounting the center speaker above a lower display would provide much more flexibility in terms of center speaker size.
post #17596 of 17651 Old 03-26-2020, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Rex, thanks for the response. I'll try playing around with absorbers. Presently, yes, I am seated at roughly the apex of an equilateral triangle (distance between speakers is about 6.5'; distance to from each speaker to listening position is closer to 7'). Far be it to ask this question in a Revel-focused thread, but might I be better served with something like the KEF R7, which seems to have similarly smooth directivity to the F206 but generally narrower dispersion? And as between the F206 and HDI-3600, which would you choose (by the numbers, in any case) for this application?
To be honest, I have not heard the KEF R7, but I believe Revel does not use coaxial drivers for a reason. Their waveguide technology is unsurpassed (IMO). The combination of the waveguide, crossover design and drivers creates the most seamless transition from treble to midrange I have heard. Really hard decision between the F206 and the HDI-3600, I have heard both but have not done a blind side by side comparison. It really comes down to your preference of compression driver/narrower dispersion or conventional tweeter/waveguide that has wider dispersion. The stereo image of the Performa3 series is excellent, I have not spent enough time with the HDI series to compare. When I heard them at CES in Vegas, they impressed the heck out of me though. I wish I had spent more time with them but didn't want to be a pest, lol.

Since you state it is primarily for two channel listening, I might go with the F206. If you are going to get a center channel at any point and do a surround system, you have to keep in mind the sizes of the matching center channels. Revel has the C205 and C208 for the Performa3 series. JBL has the HDI-4500 for the HDI series, it is much wider than the Performa3 center channels. In my setup, I would have a hard time fitting the JBL HDI-4500 or Revel C426Be center channels on my AV furniture, they are too wide to fit unless I move some things around.

And a final thought (to make it a more difficult choice), the HDI series is an all new Harman design (woofers, compression driver, horn/waveguide based on the M2 etc).
Dinglehoser likes this.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 03-26-2020 at 02:00 PM.
post #17597 of 17651 Old 03-26-2020, 02:08 PM
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2098 Post(s)
Liked: 1549
Quote:
How did you mount the Voice2 above the screen? Was it a totally custom job? Mounting the center speaker above a lower display would provide much more flexibility in terms of center speaker size.
Home grown with off the shelf parts.

I had a large OmniMount mount that I had used for the Voice1. This is not longer in production.
The Voice2 base was used with new holes drilled to mount the bracket.
Flat elevator bolts attach to the Voice 2 base and to the mount using rubber washers to adjust to the curve.

This puts the Voice2 close to the same plane as the Salon2s.

The Voice2 magnets are pretty weak so I cannot tilt down as much as I would like.
A strap attached to the top of the grill that goes to the back of the mount is needed safely achieve a greater tilt.

- Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Voice2OmniMountUnder.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	2701986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Voice2OmniMountSide.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	2701988  

Oppo UPD-205 x 2 | UPD-203 | Sonica DAC | Emotiva RMC-1 | Revel Salon2s, Voice2, Studio2s | Benchmark AHB2 x 5 | ATI AT522NC | Velodyne HGS-15 | LG 77C9 | Lumagen 2020 | HDFury Vertex2 x 2
post #17598 of 17651 Old 03-27-2020, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf7002 View Post
Ah okay. I usually measure a bit ahead of where my head would be, at ear level, to minimize this issues. I also correct only below Schroeder as well. So hopefully I'm well covered
By moving it "a bit ahead" you just shift frequency.
But it should be ok if you correct below Shroeder anyway.
post #17599 of 17651 Old 03-27-2020, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hey all - Long time lurker here, but not a frequent poster. I recently came into a pair of VERY CHALLENGED Revel Performa F50 tower speakers. They are A MESS. Missing grills, missing 2 woofers and a mid, tweeters dented in, mismatched veneer..... But most shockingly, the existing drivers have some dreaded tinsel lead corrosion. I am wondering how many other Revel owners have encountered this corrosion? I have started to restore these ceramic drivers because testing is showing that the voice coils are still good. The 3 LF woofers look to be 12 ohm each for a final LF impedance of 4 ohm. Anyway here are some pics of my progress. I'll keep folks updated if this is something of interest to this group. Not a lot of other Revel owner support out there.

Thanks

Looks like this alum mass ring reacted with adhesive and started the corrosion process.

Corrosion residue on the ceramic cone. I plan to encapsulate this in epoxy to match the weight of the mass ring, and toss the mass ring in the bin.

A look at the corrosion leaving the tinsel lead connection to the cone and starting a path toward the terminal connections. The VC copped seems unaffected by this, but the drivers will render no continuity because the solder joint fails.

The process of attaching a new tinsel lead to the voice coil.

Glueing it all back together.

More to come, if there is interest.
LVS, vavan, Lonewolf7002 and 1 others like this.

Holt Hill Audio, LLC
post #17600 of 17651 Old 03-27-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
To be honest, I have not heard the KEF R7, but I believe Revel does not use coaxial drivers for a reason. Their waveguide technology is unsurpassed (IMO). The combination of the waveguide, crossover design and drivers creates the most seamless transition from treble to midrange I have heard. Really hard decision between the F206 and the HDI-3600, I have heard both but have not done a blind side by side comparison. It really comes down to your preference of compression driver/narrower dispersion or conventional tweeter/waveguide that has wider dispersion. The stereo image of the Performa3 series is excellent, I have not spent enough time with the HDI series to compare. When I heard them at CES in Vegas, they impressed the heck out of me though. I wish I had spent more time with them but didn't want to be a pest, lol.

Since you state it is primarily for two channel listening, I might go with the F206. If you are going to get a center channel at any point and do a surround system, you have to keep in mind the sizes of the matching center channels. Revel has the C205 and C208 for the Performa3 series. JBL has the HDI-4500 for the HDI series, it is much wider than the Performa3 center channels. In my setup, I would have a hard time fitting the JBL HDI-4500 or Revel C426Be center channels on my AV furniture, they are too wide to fit unless I move some things around.

And a final thought (to make it a more difficult choice), the HDI series is an all new Harman design (woofers, compression driver, horn/waveguide based on the M2 etc).
This all aligns with my thinking, as well as my dilemma. Particularly the point of the HDI being Harman's latest design ... I feel like the Performa3 is close to EOL. Plus, not gonna lie, as an amateur musician that uses primarily JBL gear for stage and studio, there's a certain romantic appeal to having JBLs on the playback end as well

One note - I tend to listen pretty loud - typically within 15dB of reference level (depending on how compressed the record is ...). Dynamics are important to me. Does this change your preference for the Revels over the JBLs?
post #17601 of 17651 Old 03-27-2020, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This all aligns with my thinking, as well as my dilemma. Particularly the point of the HDI being Harman's latest design ... I feel like the Performa3 is close to EOL. Plus, not gonna lie, as an amateur musician that uses primarily JBL gear for stage and studio, there's a certain romantic appeal to having JBLs on the playback end as well One note - I tend to listen pretty loud - typically within 15dB of reference level (depending on how compressed the record is ...). Dynamics are important to me. Does this change your preference for the Revels over the JBLs?
I do not have enough listening time with the HDI series speakers to make an honest comparison. Many people say compression drivers have an advantage for dynamic peaks. I have no complaints about my F208's, C208 and F206's. They can all handle anything I throw at them with aplomb.

I would not be too concerned about EOL with the Performa3 series, they are still excellent speakers, some of the best in that price range.

Protect your hearing is the best advice I can offer. Listening at high SPLs for long periods of time is not good for your ears.

Sorry, I know I'm not being very helpful to you re: making a decision.
post #17602 of 17651 Old 03-27-2020, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 137
I finally found a movie with a good Atmos track (I have a list of "the best" Atmos movies to watch, but I'm holding off until I get my center channel) - Star Wars: The Force Awakens on Disney+. At the 30 minute mark, there's a chase/fight scene with an air strike going after the Millennium Falcon. Prior to this movie, I had a hard time differentiating between sounds coming from the front and above, but this scene was crystal clear. Not only could I hear explosions all around me, but more importantly, I could hear the starfighters flying overhead. Really cool effects. I am super happy with my choices in speakers and don't have any regrets.

5.2.4 system: Anthem MRX1120 | Revel f226be L/R | c426be center (awaiting delivery) | f206 surrounds | c763l (Atmos front and back) | dual Rythmik F18 subs (awaiting delivery, using Martin Logan Dynamo 700 for now) | Panasonic UB820 | Sony xbr65x950g (will upgrade to 77" OLED soon)
post #17603 of 17651 Old 03-27-2020, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by blSwagger View Post
I finally found a movie with a good Atmos track (I have a list of "the best" Atmos movies to watch, but I'm holding off until I get my center channel) - Star Wars: The Force Awakens on Disney+. At the 30 minute mark, there's a chase/fight scene with an air strike going after the Millennium Falcon. Prior to this movie, I had a hard time differentiating between sounds coming from the front and above, but this scene was crystal clear. Not only could I hear explosions all around me, but more importantly, I could hear the starfighters flying overhead. Really cool effects. I am super happy with my choices in speakers and don't have any regrets.
Thanks for posting this. Any chance you could share your list of "the best" Atmos movies to watch?

I recently added Revel C763L speakers for Atmos / DTS:X and have to say it has been a challenge to find good source material to show what this setup can do. Gravity, the Diamond Luxe edition, may be the most frequent recommendation but it's hard to find and pricey if you do. The Matrix, Sully and Star Trek Into Darkness have some pretty good Atmos / DTS:X content but other suggestions would be welcome!

5.1.4 System: Anthem AVM 60 | Anthem Statement A5 | ATI AT526NC | Revel F208, C208, M106, C763L | Velodyne FSR-12 | Samsung UN65KS800DF | Oppo UDP-203 | Roku Premiere+ | DIY HTPC | Logitech Harmony Companion | Amazon Echo Dot
post #17604 of 17651 Old 03-27-2020, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Thanks for posting this. Any chance you could share your list of "the best" Atmos movies to watch?

I recently added Revel C763L speakers for Atmos / DTS:X and have to say it has been a challenge to find good source material to show what this setup can do. Gravity, the Diamond Luxe edition, may be the most frequent recommendation but it's hard to find and pricey if you do. The Matrix, Sully and Star Trek Into Darkness have some pretty good Atmos / DTS:X content but other suggestions would be welcome!

It looks like there was a limited time run for Gravity, the Diamond Luxe edition, which is a shame. I've given up trying to find a copy. In addition to Disney+, I upgraded Netflix from HD to UltraHD, which unlocks Dolby Vision and Atmos. Interesting to note that Anthem's OSD doesn't work during Dolby Vision content; pressing the setup button blacks out the video to show the Anthem settings. Here is the list I made, in no particular order:

The House with a Clock in its Walls (kids movie! 10/10 audio)
Aquaman (great bass too)
Unbreakable
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Fury (great bass too!)
Ready Player One
Mad Max: Fury Road
Interstellar (Anne Hathaway & Matt McConaughey (BASS)
Avengers: Infinity War
Black Panther
Logan (Hugh Jackman as Wolverine), recommended online
Gravity (Diamond Luxe edition) (regarded as one of best Atmos soundtracks)
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Blade Runner 2049
Deadpool 2
Ready Player One
Transformers - The Last Knight
Power Rangers (great bass)
Kong Skull Island
A Quiet Place
Robin Hood (2019 version w/ Jamie Foxx)
Ford vs Ferrari
Black Hawk Down (4k released in 2019)
Bill-99 and Karl Maga like this.

5.2.4 system: Anthem MRX1120 | Revel f226be L/R | c426be center (awaiting delivery) | f206 surrounds | c763l (Atmos front and back) | dual Rythmik F18 subs (awaiting delivery, using Martin Logan Dynamo 700 for now) | Panasonic UB820 | Sony xbr65x950g (will upgrade to 77" OLED soon)
post #17605 of 17651 Old 03-27-2020, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post

Maybe it is the speakers and not the source.

Last edited by MUDCAT45; 03-28-2020 at 07:27 AM.
post #17606 of 17651 Old 03-27-2020, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 125
What are your thoughts on using S16s as LCR?

I would like a low profile speaker to go with a wall mounted TV. I would be crossing to subs of course, so I don't know if I need the extension of the M16.

Thoughts?
post #17607 of 17651 Old 03-28-2020, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochoss View Post
What are your thoughts on using S16s as LCR?

I would like a low profile speaker to go with a wall mounted TV. I would be crossing to subs of course, so I don't know if I need the extension of the M16.

Thoughts?

S16's are very good on wall speakers. Question is, how do you plan to mount the center? Under the TV or over the TV? Either way, it will be difficult to get the tweeter at ear height (unless it's under the TV and the TV is high up on the wall). If the TV is lower and you mount the speaker above the TV, you could mount it upside down so the tweeter is lower, but it will still be too high and you can't angle it down to aim at your ears. If you have a piece of audio furniture under the TV or you can get a wall mounted shelf, you could use a C25 as a center channel and tilt it up (or down if above the TV).
post #17608 of 17651 Old 03-28-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
If the TV is lower and you mount the speaker above the TV, you could mount it upside down so the tweeter is lower
This is exactly my plan. See the attached image. I would have to build a little angled mounting bracket to get the necessary ~13° so that the center speaker is pointed at MLP.

I like my TVs at eye level, so that pretty much rules out putting the center below. I had very good results in the past with a similar setup, except that TV was much smaller, which meant the center speaker wasn't very high up. This one will be considerably higher, as I plan on getting a much larger TV.

I mostly wanted to make sure I was getting a speaker that could dig deep enough to cross to subs. Looking at the bass extension specs, its -3dB frequency is actually lower (70Hz) than the C25 (80Hz). Would be nice to see some spins on these speakers, but I haven't been able to find any except for the M16.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S16_LCR.PNG
Views:	31
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	2702788  
post #17609 of 17651 Old 03-28-2020, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochoss View Post
This is exactly my plan. See the attached image. I would have to build a little angled mounting bracket to get the necessary ~13° so that the center speaker is pointed at MLP.

I like my TVs at eye level, so that pretty much rules out putting the center below. I had very good results in the past with a similar setup, except that TV was much smaller, which meant the center speaker wasn't very high up. This one will be considerably higher, as I plan on getting a much larger TV.

I mostly wanted to make sure I was getting a speaker that could dig deep enough to cross to subs. Looking at the bass extension specs, its -3dB frequency is actually lower (70Hz) than the C25 (80Hz). Would be nice to see some spins on these speakers, but I haven't been able to find any except for the M16.
C25 has a very nice floor stand and would look and sound better IMO. TV should be fine with the bottom just above the C25. I don't like voices coming from above the TV, I find the "ventriloquism effect" works better with the center channel below the TV and angled up. I doubt the extra bit of LF from the S16 will make a big difference with subs. The waveguide on the C25 is very nice.

Bottom of my 75" TV is 34.5" off the floor. My C208 is sitting on a piece of AV furniture below the TV.

Just my two cents worth and my opinion.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 03-28-2020 at 01:45 PM.
post #17610 of 17651 Old 03-28-2020, 02:36 PM

Quote:
C25 has a very nice floor stand and would look and sound better IMO. TV should be fine with the bottom just above the C25. I don't like voices coming from above the TV, I find the "ventriloquism effect" works better with the center channel below the TV and angled up. I doubt the extra bit of LF from the S16 will make a big difference with subs. The waveguide on the C25 is very nice.

Bottom of my 75" TV is 34.5" off the floor. My C208 is sitting on a piece of AV furniture below the TV.

Just my two cents worth and my opinion.
Yeah if my TV was at that height, I'd go below as well. The bottom of the screen will be at 18" or 20" though. I'd also like to avoid a horizontal M-T-M design like the C25 due to poor horizontal off-axis response.

If I do go with a more traditional center, I'd go for a W-T(M)-W like your C208. And since that's not an on-wall, I'd probably make the LR speakers not on-walls either.

Decisions decisions... I appreciate your input. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
c426be , c763l , F206 , F208 , f226be , f228be , Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page