Originally Posted by magicvinny
Looks like a nice speaker but is it OK to use a 3 way speaker as LCR and surround and atmos a 2 way speaker?
Would it still be better to use the W970 as LCR so you have 2 way speakers all around to create that perfect sound bubble?
W970 is not in the current price list I have. Not sure what's up with that.
I prefer to use the best speakers for front LCR and I think a three way provides that. I can live with lesser speakers for surrounds and Atmos. As long as you are using all Revel speakers, I doubt you would notice having three ways for front LCR and two way speakers for surrounds and/or Atmos. The only 3 way in ceiling speaker I know of is the C763L.
People mix two way and three way speakers all the time, for example, F208s front LR, C208 for center and M106s for surrounds. No problem with that configuration.
If you want all 3 way in-wall speakers, the W893 is very good and MSRP is $1,000 each vs the W990 MSRP of $1,750 each.
Specs on the W893:
9” Micro-Ceramic Composite (MCC) Cone, Cast-Aluminum Frame High-Output Woofer
• 3.5” micro-ceramic composite (MCC) cone, cast-aluminum frame high-output
• 1” aluminum dome swiveling high-output tweeter with waveguide
• 3-position HF level control
• LF boundary compensation
• Advanced high-order crossover network
• Mounting depth: 3.7” (9.4 cm)
• Weight: 10.8 lb (4.9 kg) / Shipping weight: 12.8 lb (5.8 kg)
• Cutout dimensions (H x W): 17.4” x 11.6” (44.3 cm x 29.5 cm)
• Includes zero-bezel magnetic grille
• Grille finished dimension (H x W): 18.5” x 12.7” (47.0 cm x 32.3 cm)
• C-2 fastening mechanism
• Compatible with wall material thickness range: 0.5” – 2.0” (1.3 cm – 5.0 cm)
• Nominal impedance: 8 ohms
• Recommended amplifier power range: 10- 200 watts
• Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 89 dB
• Frequency Range -3 dB from 32Hz-28kHz; -10dB from 23-35kHz