Revel Owners Thread - Page 604 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7077Likes

post #18091 of 18450 Old 05-31-2020, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Daisy PrecisionMax BBs 0.177 BB Zinc Plated Steel. 6000 per container (available from Walmart). Each container weighed 4.575 lbs so I ordered 10 (yep, 60k BBs). That added about 22.5 lbs per stand. Made a huge difference in stability.

Funny part. When these were to be delivered, the FedEx guy told me that he had a package of mine in the truck that was damaged and "leaking beads everywhere". He asked if I wanted to have it returned to the sender and then reshipped. I said yes. For about the next 10 minutes that truck was parked in front of my house while he was cleaning up loose BBs. I can only imagine the chaos that created inside his truck! A few days later FedEx dropped off BBs again, this time securely packaged.

Never heard of "wakeballast" but, you know.... Ohio. Several years ago when mass-loading different stands for different speakers I used steel shot picked up cheap from one of the outdoors vendors. It's good because the diameter is a fraction of these BBs and packs densely / lower in the stand. Unfortunately I couldn't find it anywhere this time. Turns out BBs are a good alternative.
Use this in my surf boat
https://www.leadwake.com/

Pretty economical weight per pound

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Bill-99 likes this.

Samsung JU7100 75" 4K | Denon x2300 | Oppo UDP-203 | Pioneer Andrew Jones 5.0.2 | Klipsch Sub-12HG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18092 of 18450 Old 05-31-2020, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1479
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
touché.

but since he said “Studio2s for L\C\R & whatever Revel has in 3 years for back surrounds & Atmos” I assumed as in a home theater with a screen or TV.
A reasonable assumption but not a fully comprehensive one. I have ATMOS music recordings, too.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #18093 of 18450 Old 05-31-2020, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-99 View Post
Daisy PrecisionMax BBs 0.177 BB Zinc Plated Steel. 6000 per container (available from Walmart). Each container weighed 4.575 lbs so I ordered 10 (yep, 60k BBs). That added about 22.5 lbs per stand. Made a huge difference in stability.

Funny part. When these were to be delivered, the FedEx guy told me that he had a package of mine in the truck that was damaged and "leaking beads everywhere". He asked if I wanted to have it returned to the sender and then reshipped. I said yes. For about the next 10 minutes that truck was parked in front of my house while he was cleaning up loose BBs. I can only imagine the chaos that created inside his truck! A few days later FedEx dropped off BBs again, this time securely packaged.

Never heard of "wakeballast" but, you know.... Ohio. Several years ago when mass-loading different stands for different speakers I used steel shot picked up cheap from one of the outdoors vendors. It's good because the diameter is a fraction of these BBs and packs densely / lower in the stand. Unfortunately I couldn't find it anywhere this time. Turns out BBs are a good alternative.
Funny to have this little bag sitting there and casually asking someone to bring it to you.

https://wakeballast.com/collections/wake-ballast-bags/products/wakeballast-50lb-ballast-bag-steel-shot-black

I finally cut it open and poured half into each stand.

~ $64 for 50lbs

Be careful though, the beads are fairly small. There’s an inner clear bag holding them but a sharp knife to a corner made for fairly easy pouring.
Bill-99 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18094 of 18450 Old 05-31-2020, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 4416 Post(s)
Liked: 2596
someone should invent some sort of magnetic device to secure speaker stands to floors. filling stands with lead shot or sand sucks when you spill them.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300 LG oled c9 77
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS, Audioengine A2+
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP, Velodyne HGS 12, Velodyne VA1512
post #18095 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Revel Center Channel, Rear Surround, & Atmos recommendations

Since this is the Revel owners thread, I was thinking this might be the perfect place to get some good recommendations on a few of the Revel speakers I am deciding between for a new 7.2.4 HT setup. I am planning on getting the F36 towers and the M16 bookshelf speakers for my L/R surrounds (unless you can sell me on the S206 being significantly better ). My side surrounds will be between 8-10' from MLP. For the center channel, I am looking for opinions on whether there is a big difference in quality between the C25 and the C205? Given the $200 price difference between the two, I'd be willing to step up to the C205 if there is a noticeable improvement given how much center channel does for HT. MLP will be 10-11' from center channel. Any thoughts on how these two models compare?

For my rear surrounds, I was planning on the S16. Would the S16 be a better performer for rear surrounds than the M8 on-wall or comparably priced in-wall Revel options (e.g. W253, W553L, W563)? The reason I am leaning towards the S16 is for the closed-box build and ability to angle the speaker towards the MLP. Any recommendations on rear surround options? I will be mounting to basement support beams that are 5' behind 45 degree left and right angles on the MLP.

For Atmos speakers, I am planning to do 4 in-ceiling. I was originally planning on RSL C34e, but would be willing to go with a Revel option if the price difference isn't too significant for the % of work that the Atmos speakers will do for HT. I like the option of being able to angle the driver towards the MLP, but also open to feedback from current owners if you think that doesn't make a noticeable difference to the MLP. Honestly, I will be most price sensitive with the in-ceiling speakers given the limited work they'll be doing and that I have to buy 4 of them and ok with mixing brands as they'll look the same. Here is the link for the RSL speakers: https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/ Any thoughts on which Revel in-ceiling speaker I'd need to buy to get equal or better performance to the RSL option? It looks like the movable driver options don't start until C563, which looks to be almost 3x the cost of the RSLs. What would you do?

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback - thanks!
post #18096 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 740 Post(s)
Liked: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
someone should invent some sort of magnetic device to secure speaker stands to floors. filling stands with lead shot or sand sucks when you spill them.
Can't wait to see a magnet that sticks to concrete, carpet and wood.
Milt99 likes this.
post #18097 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 05:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
Can't wait to see a magnet that sticks to concrete, carpet and wood.
That and a magnet might play some havoc on things that work in the electromagnet world, ie Speakers, amps, other electronics.
MUDCAT45 likes this.
post #18098 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 05:42 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2167 Post(s)
Liked: 2729
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
That and a magnet might play some havoc on things that work in the electromagnet world, ie Speakers, amps, other electronics.
Just to pile on a bit more, fill added to a stand probably makes the stand itself a lot more rigid.

One could get around the issues with introducing magnets by just bolting the stand to the floor, but I doubt that would have a high WAF.
MUDCAT45 likes this.
post #18099 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch16 View Post
Since this is the Revel owners thread, I was thinking this might be the perfect place to get some good recommendations on a few of the Revel speakers I am deciding between for a new 7.2.4 HT setup. I am planning on getting the F36 towers and the M16 bookshelf speakers for my L/R surrounds (unless you can sell me on the S206 being significantly better ). My side surrounds will be between 8-10' from MLP. For the center channel, I am looking for opinions on whether there is a big difference in quality between the C25 and the C205? Given the $200 price difference between the two, I'd be willing to step up to the C205 if there is a noticeable improvement given how much center channel does for HT. MLP will be 10-11' from center channel. Any thoughts on how these two models compare?

For my rear surrounds, I was planning on the S16. Would the S16 be a better performer for rear surrounds than the M8 on-wall or comparably priced in-wall Revel options (e.g. W253, W553L, W563)? The reason I am leaning towards the S16 is for the closed-box build and ability to angle the speaker towards the MLP. Any recommendations on rear surround options? I will be mounting to basement support beams that are 5' behind 45 degree left and right angles on the MLP.

For Atmos speakers, I am planning to do 4 in-ceiling. I was originally planning on RSL C34e, but would be willing to go with a Revel option if the price difference isn't too significant for the % of work that the Atmos speakers will do for HT. I like the option of being able to angle the driver towards the MLP, but also open to feedback from current owners if you think that doesn't make a noticeable difference to the MLP. Honestly, I will be most price sensitive with the in-ceiling speakers given the limited work they'll be doing and that I have to buy 4 of them and ok with mixing brands as they'll look the same. Here is the link for the RSL speakers: https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/ Any thoughts on which Revel in-ceiling speaker I'd need to buy to get equal or better performance to the RSL option? It looks like the movable driver options don't start until C563, which looks to be almost 3x the cost of the RSLs. What would you do? Appreciate any thoughts or feedback - thanks!
Hey Mitch,

C25 is a fine speaker and part of the Concerta 2 series, I'd stick with it. I'd also use the S16 as opposed to the M8. Best to use all Concerta2 series if you can.

Others have tried mixing brands with less than desirable results. Very few companies have the resources that Revel does to design and test in wall and in ceiling speakers. Bite the bullet and get Revel in ceiling speakers than can aim the tweeter at the listening position, it really is worth it to do it right the first time.
post #18100 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Question about absorbing first reflections with Revel speakers

I have a question for all the Revel owners out there.

I just recently purchased a pair of Revel f208s. In my listening room I currently have a number of 2-inch fiberglass acoustic absorbers along one of the side walls. I don’t have any on the other side wall (I’m not able to put any there because of how the wall is shaped).

I’m wondering if it makes sense to keep all of these absorbers up with the F208 speakers. I’ve read a lot of what Dr. Toole has to say on this subject and my general impression of his message is that acoustic absorbers should really only be used for speakers that have uneven off-axis response. For speakers that have even off-axis response (like the Revel f208s), acoustic absorbers could actually alter the evenness of the off axis response. So, they could actually make a good sounding speaker sound worse. And this can be especially detrimental if you are using acoustic absorbers on the first reflection points.

However, I have read Dr. Toole also saying that the testing on this subject has also noted that there might be a correlation between people’s preferences and the type of music being played. With modern pop or rock music, many seem to prefer absorbing the first reflections (even if the speakers have even off-axis response), but for other types of music such as classical many seem to prefer not absorbing the first reflections.

So all this got me wondering: should I continue to absorb the first reflections in my room with these speakers? I listen to mostly heavy rock / metal (bands like Tool, Mastodon, Animals as Leaders, Nine Inch Nails), so maybe absorbing the first reflections is the best way to go?

Note also that I mentioned above I only absorb the first reflections on one side wall. The side wall that I do this on is about 2 feet from the right speaker. However, the other side wall is about 6 feet from my left speaker (it’s a bit of an open space on the left side). I noticed in one of Dr. Toole’s write-ups about his own room that his set-up seems somewhat similar in the sense that he has one side wall (to the left of his system) and an open area (to the right) and he mentioned he uses thick, heavily pleated velour drapes to absorb the first reflections on the left side of his room.

So, based on all this, I’m thinking it might make most sense for me to continue absorbing the first reflections on the right side. But, I will certainly experiment with this. Anyone here have any thoughts on this?
HTNUT1975 likes this.

Last edited by buckchester; 06-01-2020 at 12:28 PM.
post #18101 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^

2" absorption is very non-linear, i.e. it absorbs a narrow band and acts like a notch filter. Room asymmetry is not a good thing for a phantom stereo image. I have an open space to my left and a sliding glass door on the right. I have learned to live with it and hear mostly direct sound anyway. The room's problems are audible if I clap my hands or utter sounds, but I don't hear them nearly as much when listening to music or watching movies. I will probably get some type of window treatment for the sliding glass door to help some on that side. I can't get anything done due to the pandemic.

Use your ears and listen to find what you prefer, with our without the absorption. If you like it better with it, you might consider getting 4" panels for more linear absorption. Or, try a combination of absorption and diffusion to break up the hard reflection off the wall. RPG makes the BAD panel and they work.
Lonewolf7002 likes this.
post #18102 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 01:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Revel Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch16 View Post

For Atmos speakers, I am planning to do 4 in-ceiling. I was originally planning on RSL C34e, but would be willing to go with a Revel option if the price difference isn't too significant for the % of work that the Atmos speakers will do for HT. I like the option of being able to angle the driver towards the MLP, but also open to feedback from current owners if you think that doesn't make a noticeable difference to the MLP. Honestly, I will be most price sensitive with the in-ceiling speakers given the limited work they'll be doing and that I have to buy 4 of them and ok with mixing brands as they'll look the same. Here is the link for the RSL speakers: https://rslspeakers.com/c34e-ceiling-speaker/ Any thoughts on which Revel in-ceiling speaker I'd need to buy to get equal or better performance to the RSL option? It looks like the movable driver options don't start until C563, which looks to be almost 3x the cost of the RSLs. What would you do?

Appreciate any thoughts or feedback - thanks!

I have F206 fronts & M16 rears and also 4 RSL C34e for Atmos that sound good with music also. I could not justify Revels for limited Atmos use. If money no object than sure go with Revels in ceiling, but the RSLs are highly regarded by many folks here on AVS.

Good luck!!! And enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primary set-up 5.2.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; 2 Outlaw X12 Subs & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #18103 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckchester View Post
I have a question for all the Revel owners out there.

I just recently purchased a pair of Revel f208s. In my listening room I currently have a number of 2-inch fiberglass acoustic absorbers along one of the side walls. I don’t have any on the other side wall (I’m not able to put any there because of how the wall is shaped).

So all this got me wondering: should I continue to absorb the first reflections in my room with these speakers? I listen to mostly heavy rock / metal (bands like Tool, Mastodon, Animals as Leaders, Nine Inch Nails), so maybe absorbing the first reflections is the best way to go?

Note also that I mentioned above I only absorb the first reflections on one side wall. The side wall that I do this on is about 2 feet from the right speaker. However, the other side wall is about 6 feet from my left speaker (it’s a bit of an open space on the left side). I noticed in one of Dr. Toole’s write-ups about his own room that his set-up seems somewhat similar in the sense that he has one side wall (to the left of his system) and an open area (to the right) and he mentioned he uses thick, heavily pleated velour drapes to absorb the first reflections on the left side of his room.

So, based on all this, I’m thinking it might make most sense for me to continue absorbing the first reflections on the right side. But, I will certainly experiment with this. Anyone here have any thoughts on this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Anderson View Post
^^^

2" absorption is very non-linear, i.e. it absorbs a narrow band and acts like a notch filter. Room asymmetry is not a good thing for a phantom stereo image. I have an open space to my left and a sliding glass door on the right. I have learned to live with it and hear mostly direct sound anyway. The room's problems are audible if I clap my hands or utter sounds, but I don't hear them nearly as much when listening to music or watching movies. I will probably get some type of window treatment for the sliding glass door to help some on that side. I can't get anything done due to the pandemic.

Use your ears and listen to find what you prefer, with our without the absorption. If you like it better with it, you might consider getting 4" panels for more linear absorption. Or, try a combination of absorption and diffusion to break up the hard reflection off the wall. RPG makes the BAD panel and they work.
I have a very asymmetrical space as well, with my left wall 2 ft or less from the baffle and the right completely open, and I've had great luck by using different toe-in to 'adjust' the mix of direct vs reflected sound coming from each speaker. My left speaker (near the wall) is pointed right at MLP and my right is rotated a number of degrees counter-clockwise, pointing slightly to my right. This has resulted in a nice Harman-like response curve at the MLP as measured by REW.
HTNUT1975 likes this.
post #18104 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I have F206 fronts & M16 rears and also 4 RSL C34e for Atmos that sound good with music also. I could not justify Revels for limited Atmos use. If money no object than sure go with Revels in ceiling, but the RSLs are highly regarded by many folks here on AVS. Good luck!!! And enjoy. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's odd to me that folks say limited Atmos use. Currently yes, but moving forward everything (music, movies, TV) will have more Atmos content. Tidal just announced Dolby Atmos streaming: https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/post...treaming-atmos

A lot of new products from Harman are geared towards improving in-ceiling speaker's capabilities which can be a weak link in systems. If I was putting any new height channel/Atmos speakers in systems these days, I would not skimp or compromise if I could afford not to. Just my two cents worth.
post #18105 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 03:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSpan View Post
I have a very asymmetrical space as well, with my left wall 2 ft or less from the baffle and the right completely open, and I've had great luck by using different toe-in to 'adjust' the mix of direct vs reflected sound coming from each speaker. My left speaker (near the wall) is pointed right at MLP and my right is rotated a number of degrees counter-clockwise, pointing slightly to my right. This has resulted in a nice Harman-like response curve at the MLP as measured by REW.

I would think that would have a negative affect on the phantom center image regardless of how well it measure. If you are sitting at the apex of an equilateral triangle centered on the speakers, I can't imagine things sounding correct. In my experience, having the same toe in is essential for a good phantom center image and the reflections off the side walls don't affect it nearly as much.
post #18106 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 566
I was using KEF CI200QR in-ceiling for Atmos, and although not quite the performance of the THX RR version, the polar plots are very good. My angles to front and rear Atmos speaker rows are 43d and 46d, so about right on the recommended, but switching out to the C763L (on the advice of Kris Deering) has been dramatic. Ambience is similar, but directional panning and localized effects are now stunning. After the SpaceX launch on Saturday we watched Apollo 13, and the scene where the debris is flying from the ship was a whole new experience. Highly recommended if you can budget for them.
post #18107 of 18450 Old 06-01-2020, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 489 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:
I would think that would have a negative affect on the phantom center image regardless of how well it measure. If you are sitting at the apex of an equilateral triangle centered on the speakers, I can't imagine things sounding correct. In my experience, having the same toe in is essential for a good phantom center image and the reflections off the side walls don't affect it nearly as much.
Not an issue (at least not in my space), as the center image and overall soundstage are pretty dang perfect. I had way bigger problems trying to absorb/diffuse, as everything just sounded unbalanced and 'out of sync' with vocals commonly pulling left and I don't have the space to do inches and inches of absorption or diffusion. With the slight toe-in difference it's, to my ears and for my enjoyment, quite excellent and no treatment is needed on the left.

Last edited by KSpan; 06-01-2020 at 05:03 PM.
post #18108 of 18450 Old 06-03-2020, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 3158
Quote:
^^^

"2" absorption is very non-linear, i.e. it absorbs a narrow band and acts like a notch filter. Room asymmetry is not a good thing for a phantom stereo image. " It really isn't a "notch" filter so much as a treble tone control set to a moderate cut. I.e. it just absorbs - "turns down" - the reflected high frequencies, leaving mids and lows alone. This changes the overall spectral balance. Absorbers should be at least 3 to 4 inches thick to avoid this problem.
post #18109 of 18450 Old 06-03-2020, 01:39 PM
Audio Engineer

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd Toole View Post
"2" absorption is very non-linear, i.e. it absorbs a narrow band and acts like a notch filter. Room asymmetry is not a good thing for a phantom stereo image. " It really isn't a "notch" filter so much as a treble tone control set to a moderate cut. I.e. it just absorbs - "turns down" - the reflected high frequencies, leaving mids and lows alone. This changes the overall spectral balance. Absorbers should be at least 3 to 4 inches thick to avoid this problem.

Doc,

Have you determined if the geometry on the face of the absorption has any measurable affect (I’m thinking of all those fancy shapes the we see get cut into foam products)?

"If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said 'faster horses'." -H. Ford | Krell Showcase 7.1/Anthem Statement D1 pre/pros | Musical Concepts' LX Elite Mini-Platinum Mod Adcom MOSFET GFA-5500 | Acurus/Mondial A200x3 | Bluesound Node 2/Apple TV 4K | Toshiba SD-9200 CD/DVD-A | Vizio 55" LED/LCD | L+R: Chane MTM Prototype | Chane A2.4 center | custom-finished Chane A5rx-c surrounds | Member: NATIA, LEVA, & AES.
post #18110 of 18450 Old 06-03-2020, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd Toole View Post

Thank you Dr. Toole! Good to hear from you, hope all is well!
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #18111 of 18450 Old 06-03-2020, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you Dr. Toole! Good to hear from you, hope all is well!
Hi Rex. Thanks for the kind thoughts. I am still in Ottawa, Canada with my fiancee and likely to be here for a while longer - until the border opens for Canadian citizens who are not on a critical mission. Getting married and adding to the US tax base without taking anyone's job or being a security threat are obviously not enough.

Meanwhile, Ottawa is familiar territory as I lived and worked here for 26 years while at the NRCC. The weather is fine, and we will get to California eventually, but looking at what is happening "down there", we are quite happy to be here. I'm thinking that dual Canadian/US citizenship may yet have advantages - certainly it is good for the peace of mind right now. Good speakers are also made in Canada, and I had something to do with it.

I have used the disruption to my life to get more into walking, books, operas and music (albeit not with the sound and video quality I have at home ). I am just now beginning to look at the audio forums after a few months break. Funny, the conversation seems not to have changed much . . .

Cheers to all!
gsr, DS-21, Aja and 9 others like this.
post #18112 of 18450 Old 06-03-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
Doc,

Have you determined if the geometry on the face of the absorption has any measurable affect (I’m thinking of all those fancy shapes the we see get cut into foam products)?

Sculptured foam has random-incidence absorption coefficients equivalent to slab foam or fiberglass that is half as thick - and obviously less expensive. Think about it, the sculptured portion is half air, half foam. It looks cool, though.
BufordTJustice likes this.
post #18113 of 18450 Old 06-03-2020, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Hello all,
I am curious I currently own an all Performa 5.1 setup. My main R/L are Performa 206’s, M106 surrounds and a C208 center. I listen to allot of 2.0 with just the 206s powered by a no sound processed Anthem MRX1120 (Analogue inputs), through a Schiit Yiggy DAC. Sound is amazing! I am curious has any 206 owners compared them to the 226be’s?I would like to hear a description of the differences in sound quality,imaging, and sound stage.

Regards
Jeff

Last edited by HeffeMusic; 06-03-2020 at 06:47 PM.
post #18114 of 18450 Old 06-04-2020, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeffeMusic View Post
I am curious has any 206 owners compared them to the 226be’s?I would like to hear a description of the differences in sound quality,imaging, and sound stage.
@SteveH posted his comparison earlier in this thread. He is a dealer, but he was using them at home and posts great honest advice:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58777672
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58791870
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post58941188
post #18115 of 18450 Old 06-04-2020, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post
@SteveH posted his comparison earlier in this thread. He is a dealer, but he was using them at home and posts great honest advice:

Hello,
Wow that answered my question! Thanks for the reply! I have to say for 2.0 listening and GIK bass traps and panels the 206’s are a wonderful listening experience! Hard to spend double the $ for a 5% difference!
Regards
Jeff
yanks1 likes this.
post #18116 of 18450 Old 06-04-2020, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlinsley View Post

Hello,
Wow that answered my question! Thanks for the reply! I have to say for 2.0 listening and GIK bass traps and panels the 206’️s are a wonderful listening experience! Hard to spend double the $ for a 5% difference!
Regards
Jeff
Of course I’m the guy that bought the F228Be over the F226Be. Oh well lol.

I think he is onto something regarding the bass response. I had noticed earlier that the F228Be’s cabinet was not as deep as the F208 and maybe that’s why the F228Be and the F226Be have similar bass response. Unlike SteveH, I like the looks of the F228Be better but I always run them with my SVS PB16 in sealed mode so...oh well.

I also recall when I bought my old F208 that the F208 was clearly more dynamic and effortless sounding over the F206.

It seems like the F226Be is a more worthwhile upgrade for the F206 owners than the F228Be is for the F208 owners. Guess the F208 owners can also upgrade to the F226Be too.

Lots of choices - and keeping the F208 or F206 is a great option too.
post #18117 of 18450 Old 06-04-2020, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked: 884
Revel Owners Thread

Quote:
Hello,
Wow that answered my question! Thanks for the reply! I have to say for 2.0 listening and GIK bass traps and panels the 206’s are a wonderful listening experience! Hard to spend double the $ for a 5% difference!
Regards
Jeff

I have front F206s with dual Outlaw Ultra X-12 subs, awesome both in movie 9 channel mode (5.2.4) or with my #1 love classic rock music in 2.2 mode. These suckers play great & I drive them with ATI 522NC amp & take all that power that amp delivers

Enjoy, unless you want to spend 2x more for 5% improvement. Have 1 drink and you’ll never notice
fatsow likes this.

Primary set-up 5.2.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; 2 Outlaw X12 Subs & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #18118 of 18450 Old 06-04-2020, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsdec2 View Post
Of course I’m the guy that bought the F228Be over the F226Be. Oh well lol.

I think he is onto something regarding the bass response. I had noticed earlier that the F228Be’s cabinet was not as deep as the F208 and maybe that’s why the F228Be and the F226Be have similar bass response. Unlike SteveH, I like the looks of the F228Be better but I always run them with my SVS PB16 in sealed mode so...oh well.

I also recall when I bought my old F208 that the F208 was clearly more dynamic and effortless sounding over the F206.

It seems like the F226Be is a more worthwhile upgrade for the F206 owners than the F228Be is for the F208 owners. Guess the F208 owners can also upgrade to the F226Be too.

Lots of choices - and keeping the F208 or F206 is a great option too.
Thanks for your reply, and congrats on the 228be’s! Beautiful speakers!!
post #18119 of 18450 Old 06-04-2020, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I’m getting closer to move in date to my new home in mid July. My plan has been a Revel Concerto 2 set up (4 C363’s will be mounted in the ceiling for Atmos). Looking at F36 for R&L, C25 or C205 center and M16’s for surrounds.

I see that JBL is having a big sale on their Studio 500 series. They get very good reviews and being a sister company of Revel, guessing they are something to consider at these prices. Has anybody compared the JBL 590 with the F36? Guessing one might be better with different music genres. My tastes are fairly broad, so this may not matter as much in my case. From classic rock (Pink Floyd, The Who, Fleetwood Mac), 70’s 80’s pop & soft rock (Foreigner, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, Steeley Dan, Bee Gees), chill out music like B-Tribe, and EDM like Paul Oakenfold. A little classical and chorus.

The YouTube review by Z Reviews really liked them but said their strength is when played louder. If this is the case, I’m thinking I may prefer the Revel’s. I’m guessing the Concerta 2 line is going to sound a bit more refined than the JBL’s.

One concern is the center channel (520C) in this lineup is really small and guessing could be a weak link. Would the timbre difference in the ceiling speakers clash with JBL’s 500 series?

Last edited by Quattro; 06-04-2020 at 06:44 PM.
post #18120 of 18450 Old 06-04-2020, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 571
I must be a loser posting this at 9pm on a Friday nite.

Couple questions that must have been answered and debated in 600+ pages.

Speaker Placement:
Toe-In: Yay or Nay
Distance from the back wall. Since my Revels have a down firing port how critical or what is the recommended distance?
Boundary adjustment?

My room is 22' wide, 17' deep, 9' tall with the left wall from MLP 50% open toward the listener.

Studio2s are on the wide wall.

Any constructive advice is welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
c25 , c426be , c763l , F206 , F208 , f226be , f228be , Revel

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page