Infinity Primus Owner's Thread - Page 146 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 91Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4351 of 4413 Old 12-08-2016, 10:51 AM
Member
 
Zildjianmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidroidx View Post
Great deal on primus speakers, last hurrah I can see under 150 for the 363. Buyrush.com, free shipping as well. Never heard of them, but throwing it out there.
I checked out that Buyrush site. I'm not sure how legit they are. I've sent them several emails inquiring about the pc351 center speaker. I asked if it was brand new and what their contact phone number is. They have never responded. That tells me if there are issues the customer service would be non existent. In the contact us section they state "We'll be waiting for your email or your phone call". I could not find a phone number on the site and under contact us they have an email address under the phone section. Buyer beware on this one I would think.

That said, I've considered keeping my primus setup for a little while longer and put in another room. Does anyone know of any legit places that still carry the PC 351 center in new condition? Will that center match with the tower 360's I have as they are one of the first generation towers?

Thanks!
Z
Zildjianmeister is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4352 of 4413 Old 12-08-2016, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjianmeister View Post
I checked out that Buyrush site. I'm not sure how legit they are. I've sent them several emails inquiring about the pc351 center speaker. I asked if it was brand new and what their contact phone number is. They have never responded. That tells me if there are issues the customer service would be non existent. In the contact us section they state "We'll be waiting for your email or your phone call". I could not find a phone number on the site and under contact us they have an email address under the phone section. Buyer beware on this one I would think.

That said, I've considered keeping my primus setup for a little while longer and put in another room. Does anyone know of any legit places that still carry the PC 351 center in new condition? Will that center match with the tower 360's I have as they are one of the first generation towers?

Thanks!
Z
You should be fine using a PC 35x + the 360s ( I was running a PC350 plus the original 360s)
They timbre match fine & your AVR speaker setup program should get you a good match. Still hanging onto mine even though not using them currently, every once in a while I pull out my Chanes & set the Primus back up. They still have that "something"
GLBright likes this.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
christoofar is offline  
post #4353 of 4413 Old 12-09-2016, 07:17 AM
Member
 
Zildjianmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
You should be fine using a PC 35x + the 360s ( I was running a PC350 plus the original 360s)
They timbre match fine & your AVR speaker setup program should get you a good match. Still hanging onto mine even though not using them currently, every once in a while I pull out my Chanes & set the Primus back up. They still have that "something"
Thanks for the info!

Seems like the well has dried up for these. Havn't seen any reputable dealers carrying them any more. A lot of inflated pricing from private sellers.
Zildjianmeister is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4354 of 4413 Old 12-09-2016, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjianmeister View Post
Thanks for the info!

Seems like the well has dried up for these. Havn't seen any reputable dealers carrying them any more. A lot of inflated pricing from private sellers.
Seems like Ebay or Craigslist are the only sources left these days. Kind of surprised how Harmon completely dropped support for these very popular speakers. Try looking for replacement parts...

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
christoofar is offline  
post #4355 of 4413 Old 12-09-2016, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Md's lower shore
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 471
keep an eye here also
http://www.harmanaudio.com/refurbished-speakers/

think maybe the reference series would match?
christoofar likes this.

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
mdram is offline  
post #4356 of 4413 Old 12-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Member
 
Zildjianmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for the suggestions!
I'm not sure about a reference center matching well. Oddly that's a line that Harman/Infinity didn't really promote that much. What little I've seen in the way of reviews sounds like it's a nice little step up though. There's hardly any info out there. I think Harman is counting on the Revel Concerta2 series to be the affordable upgrade.

It's all good. I have the C25 now and it has served well for many years so we'll stick with that.

Thanks!

Z
Zildjianmeister is offline  
post #4357 of 4413 Old 12-10-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,824
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 812
Anyone know where I can find some p153 or p163 speakers, used or refurb is fine?
Just got a new Avr and can add front height speakers now and I assume I should match them to my p363s and pc351. Thanks!
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #4358 of 4413 Old 04-02-2017, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kezug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 2,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have the following setup

Pioneer VSX 919
Bluray Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Speakers
Infinity Primus L/R P163 (this has only Low and High Drivers)
Infinity Primus PC351 (this actually has a Low, Mid and High Drivers)
Infinity Primus Surround L/R P143 (this has only Low and High Drivers)
Sub - Polk PSW250

I have run MCACC and have been through the Official MCACC thread. In short, my SP settings are set to SMALL for the speakers and Sub crossover is at 100Mhz

I have tried several setups, Pure, Direct, ALC, Auto Surround and many of the Surround Formats. I have upped the level of just the Center.

In the end, I still have to ride the volume button during movies (upping the volume during quiet scenes, lowering the volume during loud scenes)

This is frustrating and I see that many people have this issue with a multitude of setups.

However, based on my equipment. Is it possible that because my Center being a larger one that has Low, Mid and High, that by setting my speakers to SMALL, I am lowering the range it is to produce? NOTE: I am not aware of my AVR allowing me to set my Center to LARGE with all else to SMALL. If memory serves me correctly, once setting something to SMALL, all L/R and Center goes to SMALL.

This is frustrating and I dont think we should have to go through a lot to get good sound.

Any tips?
kezug is offline  
post #4359 of 4413 Old 04-02-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post
I have the following setup

Pioneer VSX 919
Bluray Panasonic DMP-BDT220
Speakers
Infinity Primus L/R P163 (this has only Low and High Drivers)
Infinity Primus PC351 (this actually has a Low, Mid and High Drivers)
Infinity Primus Surround L/R P143 (this has only Low and High Drivers)
Sub - Polk PSW250

I have run MCACC and have been through the Official MCACC thread. In short, my SP settings are set to SMALL for the speakers and Sub crossover is at 100Mhz

I have tried several setups, Pure, Direct, ALC, Auto Surround and many of the Surround Formats. I have upped the level of just the Center.

In the end, I still have to ride the volume button during movies (upping the volume during quiet scenes, lowering the volume during loud scenes)

This is frustrating and I see that many people have this issue with a multitude of setups.

However, based on my equipment. Is it possible that because my Center being a larger one that has Low, Mid and High, that by setting my speakers to SMALL, I am lowering the range it is to produce? NOTE: I am not aware of my AVR allowing me to set my Center to LARGE with all else to SMALL. If memory serves me correctly, once setting something to SMALL, all L/R and Center goes to SMALL.

This is frustrating and I dont think we should have to go through a lot to get good sound.

Any tips?
Normally, when you set the LCR/surrounds as SMALL, the crossover point where low end is handed off to the sub is 80hz. Is your issue just overall you don't feel it is "loud enough", or is it regarding not being to hear/understand dialog? Pulling the lower frequencies duty from the LCRs smaller mid woofers allows them to work better for the range they are designed for , without getting overloaded into distortion trying to handle low bass energy. I note that your AVR has Dialog Enhancement , I assume that doesn't help too much? I'll also assume your "Volume Limit" option is disabled.
In my set up I usually set front L& R to 80hz cutoff, and the center set for 100hz , this helps reduce some male voice "chestiness" which I found interferes with dialog clarity.
Some AVRs have a Dynamic Range Vol feature that boosts volume during quieter parts, and then lowers it for louder sections so that the perceived overall gain levels are more the same.
Just some ideas here...
CruelInventions likes this.

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
christoofar is offline  
post #4360 of 4413 Old 04-02-2017, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
kezug's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 2,341
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoofar View Post
Normally, when you set the LCR/surrounds as SMALL, the crossover point where low end is handed off to the sub is 80hz. Is your issue just overall you don't feel it is "loud enough", or is it regarding not being to hear/understand dialog? Pulling the lower frequencies duty from the LCRs smaller mid woofers allows them to work better for the range they are designed for , without getting overloaded into distortion trying to handle low bass energy. I note that your AVR has Dialog Enhancement , I assume that doesn't help too much? I'll also assume your "Volume Limit" option is disabled.
In my set up I usually set front L& R to 80hz cutoff, and the center set for 100hz , this helps reduce some male voice "chestiness" which I found interferes with dialog clarity.
Some AVRs have a Dynamic Range Vol feature that boosts volume during quieter parts, and then lowers it for louder sections so that the perceived overall gain levels are more the same.
Just some ideas here...
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, I have tried the Dialogue Enhancement and that does not improve anything. I also have not tried the dynamic range modes yet, so I will try that and see if it helps.

The issue I am having is that the dialogue is both low in volume, especially low on quiet dialogue and overall clarity of the dialogue seems to be lacking as well. I hate to think there is something wrong with the speaker but I have more tests to do in that department.
kezug is offline  
post #4361 of 4413 Old 04-02-2017, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
christoofar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,822
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by kezug View Post
Thank you for taking the time to respond. Yes, I have tried the Dialogue Enhancement and that does not improve anything. I also have not tried the dynamic range modes yet, so I will try that and see if it helps.

The issue I am having is that the dialogue is both low in volume, especially low on quiet dialogue and overall clarity of the dialogue seems to be lacking as well. I hate to think there is something wrong with the speaker but I have more tests to do in that department.
I've experienced similar issues with dialog clarity (as have countless others) Part of it in my case is partially my aging ears, & partially how sound mixers throw too much into the mixes on TV & movies, burying the dialog. See if the dynamic range settings can help any. You might also consider getting a center with a horn tweeter, which can offer a bit better clarity, such as one from Klipsch or BIC

Heart in SoCal - Soul from the Motor City
Sony x65-900F+ShieldTV+ Kodi Leia=>SR6010=>Integra DTA-70.1=>Chane A1.4 x 3 + DCM OW-1s x 2 + 1 x RSL Speedwoofer10 S+ 1 x Sunfire HRS12
christoofar is offline  
post #4362 of 4413 Old 04-02-2017, 08:51 PM
Member
 
Bizarro_Stormy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Sealab...
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Turning on "Dynamic Range Compression" is what you should be looking to do...
It's similar to "Dynamic Volume"... it lowers loud sounds and raises quiet sounds so that everything has an even volume...

My old 2006 Pioneer VSX 1016 has it as an option, so I assume yours does too.
My DRC setting is under the "Other Setup" section in the Pioneer's menu...

Your blu-ray player probably has a DRC setting too, under it's audio section...
Bizarro_Stormy is offline  
post #4363 of 4413 Old 06-01-2017, 11:15 AM
Member
 
Zildjianmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizarro_Stormy View Post
Turning on "Dynamic Range Compression" is what you should be looking to do...
It's similar to "Dynamic Volume"... it lowers loud sounds and raises quiet sounds so that everything has an even volume...

My old 2006 Pioneer VSX 1016 has it as an option, so I assume yours does too.
My DRC setting is under the "Other Setup" section in the Pioneer's menu...

Your blu-ray player probably has a DRC setting too, under it's audio section...
I have the same issue with my setup and can understand the frustration. Although I have the 360 towers and the C25 center. I have an older AVR (Yamaha RXV992) and it doesn't have any of the newer settings to help combat the issue of turning the volume up and down during movies. In fact the only crossover setting I can use is 90hz as the receiver doesn't allow for different settings when setting the speakers as small. I'll have to check if my blu-ray player has DRC option. Never thought of that. That would be a nice surprise if it does and it works.

Kezug, did you find a setting that worked for you?

Z
Zildjianmeister is offline  
post #4364 of 4413 Old 06-12-2017, 03:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 190
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Would these Klipsch be a good to use as rear speakers to go with my pc351 center and 253 L/R? Not sure what to get since we cant get the primus line anymore

http://www.frys.com/product/8541029?...khQgAVtwzDE3U0


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BleedingBlue is offline  
post #4365 of 4413 Old 06-13-2017, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Zildjianmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
Would these Klipsch be a good to use as rear speakers to go with my pc351 center and 253 L/R? Not sure what to get since we cant get the primus line anymore

http://www.frys.com/product/8541029?...khQgAVtwzDE3U0


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BleedingBlue,
I think you'll be fine as the rears don't need to match like the front stage does. I don't run rear speakers as I'm 3.1 but when I was considering adding them I was looking at these. I'm sure others will have suggestions as well:
https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-satellite

Z

Last edited by Zildjianmeister; 06-13-2017 at 10:30 AM.
Zildjianmeister is offline  
post #4366 of 4413 Old 06-13-2017, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
GLBright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Morgan County, Indiana
Posts: 817
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlue View Post
Would these Klipsch be a good to use as rear speakers to go with my pc351 center and 253 L/R? Not sure what to get since we cant get the primus line anymore
I've used a variety of speakers as side and rear surrounds over the years with my Infinity front speakers. It hasn't seemed to matter much what the speaker was although I currently have Primus 140s as rears. But if you want to stick with Primus there are many for sale here.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...akers&_sacat=0

Infinity Compositions Overture 3
Infinity Interlude IL60
Infinity Reference R162
GLBright is offline  
post #4367 of 4413 Old 12-04-2017, 01:44 PM
Member
 
Zildjianmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
As this is a very quiet forum now I bet everyone has either moved on to other speakers or happily enjoying their Primus'.

Although I still enjoy my Primus 360/C25/ps8 setup for movies I plan on upgrading soon for my main room and moving them to a different area. For music though I've never been too crazy about the results.

Could it be my old school avr? It's a Yamaha rxv992 from 1998 or 99. No room correction at all. Just bass and treble adjustments. I've often thought of upgrading the sub to a more musical sealed from SVS or another vendor and possibly trying one of the upper model Marantz. Has anyone noticed a difference with a better or more modern amp?

Z
Zildjianmeister is offline  
post #4368 of 4413 Old 12-04-2017, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Md's lower shore
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 471
i think my sound fine, info in sig

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
mdram is offline  
post #4369 of 4413 Old 12-05-2017, 10:52 AM
Member
 
Zildjianmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdram View Post
i think my sound fine, info in sig
Oh they don't sound bad. I thought maybe there would be an improvement in music quality with more modern avr's. They are still great speakers. I might just be used to more movie watching with them than pure music listening.

Z
Zildjianmeister is offline  
post #4370 of 4413 Old 12-05-2017, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Md's lower shore
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 471
well, if you want a reason to get a new avr, then sure, it will make them sound better...............

and a nice marants has pre-outs for a future amp

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
mdram is offline  
post #4371 of 4413 Old 12-05-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
guitarguy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,824
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked: 812
i have a pair of p163's barely used that i got last year if anyone is interested. i figured i'd post in here rather than in the selling forum just go get eyeballs on primus owners. pm me
guitarguy316 is offline  
post #4372 of 4413 Old 12-08-2017, 02:08 PM
Member
 
petaylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 178
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I have a 5.1 setup consisting of Infinity Primus P363s and PC251 for the front and a pair of Bose 301 for the rear. These are paired to a Denon 2200W. The setup has a "drop-out" issue. I'll lose volume on the center or other speaker, which makes the sound more pronounces in the other speader... or it's gone entirely. Has anyone else had this issue?
petaylor is offline  
post #4373 of 4413 Old 12-08-2017, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
duc135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,232
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by petaylor View Post
I have a 5.1 setup consisting of Infinity Primus P363s and PC251 for the front and a pair of Bose 301 for the rear. These are paired to a Denon 2200W. The setup has a "drop-out" issue. I'll lose volume on the center or other speaker, which makes the sound more pronounces in the other speader... or it's gone entirely. Has anyone else had this issue?
If the dropout is consistent (ie. same channel and same timestamp on the movie/music) then I would say it's your movie/music disk/file. If it's intermittent and the dropouts occur at different timestamps or channels then I would check either your source player, the AVR or the cables connecting the two. Try performing a factory reset of the source player or AVR and reseating/replacing the cables. I can't imagine multiple speakers dropping audio to be a problem with the speakers themselves.
duc135 is offline  
post #4374 of 4413 Old 12-11-2017, 05:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Md's lower shore
Posts: 1,827
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 471
try changing the speakers qround to test

if the dropout moves with the speaker then its a speaker or wire.

if the dropout is still on the same channel, then its the avr or source

TV- Samsung 55" UHD (UN55JU6500FXZA)
service - directv
Receiver - Denon AVR-X2100W,
Speakers -F L/R - Infinity Primus P363, C - Infinity Primus PC351
Sub - Klipsch Sub-12HG
(slow build out)
mdram is offline  
post #4375 of 4413 Old 02-24-2018, 12:27 PM
Member
 
Davidroidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Dover NH
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just thought I would share my custom speaker stands, aluminum, media blasted and 4 coats of clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180220_063355_1519503966806.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	2.38 MB
ID:	2366240   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180213_164223_1519504037954.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	7.56 MB
ID:	2366242  

15" Bill Fitzmaurice THTLP, 2-12 Rockford Fosgate sealed corner loaded, Yamaha CX-A5100,2 MX-A5000, Marantz SR 5010, Cerwin Vega CV 5000, CV 900, 4 Harman p363 Infinity Towers and 2 p163's, pc351 center 4 pc251 on the ceiling for atmos, Dual Power conditioners, 65 sony 4k.
Davidroidx is offline  
post #4376 of 4413 Old 03-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
DJ Lushious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
i have a pair of p163's barely used that i got last year if anyone is interested. i figured i'd post in here rather than in the selling forum just go get eyeballs on primus owners. pm me
4 months too late for me! :P I've started thinking of going 7.2.4 now and I can only fit bookshelves in the side surround and, as difficult as it may be now with these speakers, I'm trying to keep the ear-level channels all timbre-matched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidroidx View Post
Just thought I would share my custom speaker stands, aluminum, media blasted and 4 coats of clear.
That's some great craftsmanship! The infinity symbol base is a great idea and it looks fantastic.
DJ Lushious is offline  
post #4377 of 4413 Old 04-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
DJ Lushious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: NW Indiana
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I know this thread is dead, but I'm still alive!

My Atmos system reached its final form on Tuesday: I got a pair of P163 speakers as my Surround Side speakers. I'm a bit shocked as to their size, but I am not complaining. I wanted to match the woofer size in my 4 P363s.

It's hard to beat the performance of these speakers for the price and I've not seen any reason to replace them with anything else. Especially since my ear-level speakers are now timbre-matched and I don't want to spend that kind of coin when I have no qualms with their sound.

My Atmos system is now as follows:

C: P351
L/R: P363
SurSide: P163
SurBack: P363*
TopFr: Russound RSF-620
TopBck: Russound RSF-620
Sub:Velodyne VRP-12, Pinnacle PS225

* When Fry's had the P363s on sale for $100 years back I managed to walk away with 4, in spite of the "2 per customer" limit. I figured, why spend the same amount of money on bookshelf speakers for the Surround channels, when I could get full-fledged towers (space wasn't an issue). In hindsight, it wasn't the best choice, as I can only fit bookshelves in my Surround Side spot, leaving me with towers in the Surround Back spot. It's a bit overkill for those channels, but, hey if it ain't broke, then don't fix it!
DJ Lushious is offline  
post #4378 of 4413 Old 05-20-2018, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 494
I have a line on a pair of Infinity Primus 250 towers via craigslist. They looked like they are in pretty good condition from the pics. Unfortunately the owners are out of town right now and wont be back till the end of the month, but I plan to take a look at them once they return.


They are only selling them for $75 which sounds like a steal.


The other contender in my area is a pair of Mission MV6 speakers, which seem comparable spec-wise but the Mission speakers seemed a bit more expensive in the original MSRP, which I can't seem to find. Which of these would be the better purchase? The mission speakers are listed at $100 but if I go look at them, I will try and talk them down.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is offline  
post #4379 of 4413 Old 05-27-2018, 05:22 PM
Member
 
Davidroidx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Dover NH
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I decided to use my pc251s as overhead speakers, made custom adjustable brackets for the 4 of them, I can angle them where I need. For my Atmos system I wanted all the same tune so I kept the family of speakers the same.
Yamaha Cxa5100 prepro
Front 2 p363-Running off a Parasound 275
Center 1 pc351-Running off Yamaha mxa5000
Side 2 p163- same amp as above
Rear 2 p363 same amp as above
Overhead 4 pc251 Running off a second yamaha mxa5000. Along with 2 Klipsch La Scalas for 2 channel music
5 subwoofers -horn thtlp15 30 inch bfm
2 12 Rockford fosgates subwoofers
2 10 JL audio subwoofers
The subs run off cerwin vega cv5000 and cv900s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180527_200608_1527465991888.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	6.73 MB
ID:	2408384   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180225_115236_1527466856182.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	6.12 MB
ID:	2408386  

15" Bill Fitzmaurice THTLP, 2-12 Rockford Fosgate sealed corner loaded, Yamaha CX-A5100,2 MX-A5000, Marantz SR 5010, Cerwin Vega CV 5000, CV 900, 4 Harman p363 Infinity Towers and 2 p163's, pc351 center 4 pc251 on the ceiling for atmos, Dual Power conditioners, 65 sony 4k.
Davidroidx is offline  
post #4380 of 4413 Old 06-04-2018, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,624
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Well, I picked up the Primus 250 speakers to replace my old Sony front speakers. For $75 bucks I figured I couldn't go wrong. Hooked them up yesterday and while I haven't had time to EQ them yet, they already sounded much more expansive than my old Sony speakers. I can't wait to get them dialed in and hear how they really sound in my system. Now I just need a sub.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off