AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   KEF Owners Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/724103-kef-owners-thread.html)

dar322 12-04-2006 04:31 PM

I've had KEF C40's over the last 18 years, and recently replaced them with the Q5's. You can find KEF's discounted in the USA at accessories4less. Fast delivery, and you can save a bunch.
Also just replaced my Adom Tuner/Preamp with a Denon Receiver (2307CI) but still use my Carver M-500T Amp.
Can't go wrong with the KEF's.
BTW, anyone know what C40's are worth these days?
Thanks.

stevenassco 12-04-2006 05:06 PM

here is a recent test for comparison. The CM7 is about double the price so totally fair but good none the less

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/artic...AN/922/v/1/sp/

chiliman 12-05-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

I'm like a few other posters here in that I have some older Kef's and would love to find a center channel to match.
I have a pair of these Monitor series:
http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/rdmthree.asp
and they really do sound sweet.

I've had the Ref 200C for about 10 years and have had the Q9C and 100C in my system for a period of time too. The 200C and 100C were built with the same drivers as the RDM 3's and would match up very well and I was happy with the Q9C too.

A quick search on Ebay found a 200C for what I have seen as the going rate being sold by a company with a very good feedback rating, I also saw a model 90 which is very similar to the 100C. If the 200C is more than you are looking to spend then the 100C or 90 might be a better option than the Q9C

Randy

Student of A/V 12-08-2006 12:56 AM

I have a pair of Reference Series 104.2, owned sinced 1987. I just discovered that during a recent move one of my mid-ranged drivers (and speaker cover) were damaged . I called KEF USA in N.J. and to my horror they no longer stocked the drivers. If possible, can someone please provide a source that may have replacement parts for cira 1980s KEF Reference Series. Thanks in advance!

BTW, I currently have the 104.2s intergrated in my small HT/Media room along with Klipsch center and rears (yes, I know this seem like a huge mismatch...but somehow it doesn't sound bad), anyway recent years, I never found a timbered matched center.

locomo 12-08-2006 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman View Post

I've had the Ref 200C for about 10 years and have had the Q9C and 100C in my system for a period of time too. The 200C and 100C were built with the same drivers as the RDM 3's and would match up very well and I was happy with the Q9C too.

A quick search on Ebay found a 200C for what I have seen as the going rate being sold by a company with a very good feedback rating, I also saw a model 90 which is very similar to the 100C. If the 200C is more than you are looking to spend then the 100C or 90 might be a better option than the Q9C

Randy

Thanks Randy,
I'm assuming they do have the ferrofluid rather than the titanium tweeters.
I'm going to keep an eye on them, especially a cherry wood for the WAF.

Pambs 12-09-2006 01:21 AM

i have a pair of reference model 2 2
and a reference 200c for centre

pre/pre Lexicon Mc8
amps for main denon poa 6600 monoblocks
center and surrounds lexicon lx5

i'm looking to change my surrounds, i have some kenwood floorstanding but i'm looking for something i can mount on the walls and has similar sound to the rest

tdigden 12-12-2006 02:39 PM

XQ5 - Fronts
XQ2c - Center
iQ5 - Rears

speeeedy 12-15-2006 01:06 PM

KEF reference 205s, 202c, 201s and 2 psw 4000s. I had the q series before these and loved them until I blew a bunch of speakers and x overs. I took them back to UE for repair and after 6 months I got the center ch. back and one front and they were not fixed. So UE gave me my money back after about 6-8 months of owning them and I picked up my reference series on clearance.

ATD1 12-15-2006 07:52 PM

Hey guys...I'm really new here looking for some advice. Just purchased the new Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver and am now trying to put together some kind of HT setup. Went to my local Tweeter and listened to the Polk RTi which were too bright with this receiver. The LSi series sounded much better but were way more in price. Anyway my reason for posting here is to ask what you think about pairing the Yammie with the IQ9's, IQ6C, and KEF IQ in-ceiling surrounds.

Any help would be great...thanks.

Deathwish238 12-17-2006 06:17 AM

If you like the sound of the Yamaha w/ the KEFs...go for it

kronkite 12-18-2006 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeeedy View Post

KEF reference 205s, 202c, 201s and 2 psw 4000s. I had the q series before these and loved them until I blew a bunch of speakers and x overs. I took them back to UE for repair and after 6 months I got the center ch. back and one front and they were not fixed. So UE gave me my money back after about 6-8 months of owning them and I picked up my reference series on clearance.


2 psw 4000s (!)

ATD1 12-18-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish238 View Post

If you like the sound of the Yamaha w/ the KEFs...go for it

Well I haven't actually been able to listen to the Yammie with the KEF's...just wondering if anyone has any input or experience with these 2 together.

Thanks

speeeedy 12-19-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronkite View Post

2 psw 4000s (!)

And 2 sunfires for in the rear. If I could afford it I would replace the sunfires with 2 more of the PSWs.They are a beatifull looking and sounding sub. They go VERY well with my KEF reference speakers. I am surprised there is not more KEF owners hear.

Hendrik vR 12-21-2006 01:33 AM

Current 6.1 setup
Main L+R : C35
F Center : Ref Model 100
Sur L+R : Q15
R Center : Model 80C
Sub : Model 30B

A new set of iQ8ds is on its way, so the 80C will be dropped and the Q15's will move to the rear for a 7.1 setup.

I also want to replace the C35's with iQ7's or iQ9's. Recommendations? Which are better value for money?

The Q15's are similar to the iQ3's spec-wise. Are they good enough or would you suggest I replace them?

Also, should I replace my Model 100 with a iQ6c?

I am running off two Rotel 976 power amps, ie. 12 channels. (only using 6 at the moment) Is it a good idea to bi-amp the iQ7/iQ9's? What is the impedance of these speakers when bi-amped?

Thanks

rharrison 12-26-2006 09:33 PM

Hey, I've a pair of 103/3's running left and right in my HT. Several years ago, I picked up a single 103/3 and matching Kube on Ebay for $350 or so - and that's what I'm using right now for a center. It's on it's side, and I veneered the bottom so it looks great.

However, for many years I used an Energy center channel. I forget the model, but it is the dual 6.5" woofer with exposed titanium tweeter version. I know... titanium tweeter mixed with a cloth dome L/R???? It worked pretty well.

Good luck...

FYI - I'm in the Seattle area as well.

ross 12-26-2006 09:48 PM

I haven't been in the forum lately, but I wanted to say that I've had a pair of KEF 107 Reference speakers for the past 17 years and they are still the best sounding speakers I've ever heard. Every now and then someone will come over and invariably I get comments like - What are those? or even where can I get them. My response is that they aren't easy to come by! It's hard to believe that they still even work, but only the equalizer ever wore out and I replaced that not very easily about 4 years ago.

Rgrds-Ross

timanc 12-28-2006 06:41 PM

I'm getting ready to purchase KEF speakers for HT and whole house audio as follows -- iq9, iq6, psw2500, and ci160.2 for rear surround. Any thoughts or cautions? I just listed to iq1 and thought they sounded good, but lacked the kick of an OLD pair of Polks I have. I'm looking to power the new speakers with an onkyo 803. System will be mostly for movies, but I listen to a lot of music also.

claf-43 12-29-2006 11:23 PM

KEF Q7s front
KEF 9C Centre
KEF Q1s rear

Love these things!

Tobester 01-14-2007 09:20 AM

I just pruchased a pair of Kef reference three and think they are great. I have owned a pair of 103/3 since 93 and C90 since 97. I have been experiminting with the c90 center and using the 103/3s pair (not uniQ and not the best match) as surrounds. Last night I unplugged the 103/3 and tried a pair of Klipsch RS62 surrounds (part of a set of Klipsch 7.1 speakers I plan to sell) mounted on the back wall. I liked this much better for surround and for 5ch music. Now I don't think it was because they are Klipsch although these are very good Klipsch and very dynamic. I think in my room bipoles or dipoles just may work better. My seating is against the rear wall and so surrounds almost have to go on the rear walls (if they are wall mount ) due to door openings and windows. It seems scandalous to mix kef and klipsch since they should have very different sound. Any suggestions on the surrounds. I see some have used the IQ8ds. I have seen a TDM 34 ds (I believe that is it is called) for sale before on audiogon. Has anyone had experience with these? Should I not dismiss the Klipsch surrounds? I plan to replace the c90 with a c200. If I don't use the 103/3 I will move them to a workout room so they will not go to waste.
Tom

Tobester 01-16-2007 06:08 AM

I did buy the ref 200c and waiting on it's arrival. We really need more Kef owners on this forum.
Tom

kronkite 01-26-2007 11:37 AM

Maybe this is old news, but I just noticed on the KEF website that they released a new Reference series:
http://www.kef.com/products/referenc...l/default.aspx

mektare 01-29-2007 12:12 PM

Just purchased KEF xQ package.

Fronts: xQ5
Center: xQ2C
Rear: xQ1


They are driven by denon 3806. I am blown away by the system's performance, but want to know from other KEF owners if Denon 3806 with 120 Watt/channel is sufficient to power these. I have not yet calibrated the system, and it has only pumped 20 hours music/movies so far.

KEF rocks!
-A KEF Fan

sivadselim 01-29-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronkite View Post

Maybe this is old news, but I just noticed on the KEF website that they released a new Reference series:
http://www.kef.com/products/referenc...l/default.aspx

Wow. No separate hypertweeter.

btstarke 01-30-2007 12:00 PM

I had a chance to get the previous Reference series at 50% and should have jumped on the deal. I can get the IQ9's now for 50% off MSRP, but not sure if I shouldn't hold out to see if I can get the new reference series, since I am moving into a new house. I am currently using a yamaha rxv 2500 reciever but have a chance to get an onkyo TXNR 1000 at a steal as well but didn't know if it would be too much for the KEF's.

Anyone have any thoguhts on the IQ 9's vs the Reference 205/207 series and which reiever to use?

dakar80124 01-30-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btstarke View Post

I had a chance to get the previous Reference series at 50% and should have jumped on the deal. I can get the IQ9's now for 50% off MSRP, but not sure if I shouldn't hold out to see if I can get the new reference series, since I am moving into a new house. I am currently using a yamaha rxv 2500 reciever but have a chance to get an onkyo TXNR 1000 at a steal as well but didn't know if it would be too much for the KEF's.

Anyone have any thoguhts on the IQ 9's vs the Reference 205/207 series and which reiever to use?

There isn't any comparison. I did not like the IQ speakers much, but I really like the XQ series and am in love with the Reference series. I want to hear the new Reference /2 speakers. I wonder how much different it sounds. The bad thing is they jacked the price way up on them too. They take out the hypertweeter thus making the design somewhat simpler, yet still jack the price.

btstarke 01-30-2007 05:10 PM

^ any opinions on which reciever to use?

fourml8r 01-30-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD1 View Post

Hey guys...I'm really new here looking for some advice. Just purchased the new Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver and am now trying to put together some kind of HT setup. Went to my local Tweeter and listened to the Polk RTi which were too bright with this receiver. The LSi series sounded much better but were way more in price. Anyway my reason for posting here is to ask what you think about pairing the Yammie with the IQ9's, IQ6C, and KEF IQ in-ceiling surrounds.

Any help would be great...thanks.

i have some older kef reference 105.3 (front) and 104.2 (rear) and they sound great with my yamaha 2600. but to be honest i used to have denon and thought the sound was slightly "warmer" and better overall. but last 2 denons shorted out so i have switched to yamaha for the moment. plus i got a deal on the 2600 ($860 from an authorized local retailer)

dar322 01-31-2007 05:19 PM

I just bought a pair of Q5's to replace my C40's. The Q5's are awesome. I have a 500W Carver amp. Very clean, crisp sound. I have it hooked into a Denon receiver. Pure Digital sound with the CD's DVDs. Phono sounds great too, but I give the Amp lots of credit for that.

avs_jag 02-07-2007 10:35 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on KEF KHT3005 set vs PLK RM6750?

SJHT 02-08-2007 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Wow. No separate hypertweeter.

The new design of the tweeter makes this possible.... However, the cost of the new Reference Series really went up. For example, 205/2 (new model) go for $5,500 each! (vs. $4K today for the 205 which you can already find discounts for as dealers are clearing them out). They have made many improvements in the new models, but I wonder if the new higher cost is justified. I believe the previous Ref series debuted in 2001, so it has been a while since they made major changes.... SJ


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.