post #16261 of 18458 Old 01-03-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 2672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Kokalovic View Post
Toslink Glass Digital Audio is really well reviewed but I have made the purchase on the Quartz one after I found a 'good' deal on it (ill give it a chance). Ill keep the one you sent in mind if I find disatifaction with the Quartz one or if it breaks.
Thank You for the feedback!
Don't fall the snake oil premium cables BS. A $200 diamond crusted (insert more jargon here) cable will provide no audio improvement (very minimal at best) over An $8 amazon cable. Spend your money on better speakers, amps and subs instead.
sivadselim, Lp85253 and salmo3t like this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16262 of 18458 Old 01-03-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Optical cables are digital cables. They will not have any impact on sound quality. So buy them for reliable manufacturing and mechanical strength.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
There can be a difference even though digital. Just try splitting an optical signal and you might be surprised at the results. Some toslink cables will work with no issue, some will not work at all, and some will work intermittently. I know from experience and have a few too many optical cables as proof. The problem is that there is no easy way to determine which ones are best (at transmitting light) except by experimentation. For my splitter, it was one of the cheapest cables that worked without issue.

Sean
post #16263 of 18458 Old 01-03-2019, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
There can be a difference even though digital. Just try splitting an optical signal and you might be surprised at the results. Some toslink cables will work with no issue, some will not work at all, and some will work intermittently. I know from experience and have a few too many optical cables as proof. The problem is that there is no easy way to determine which ones are best (at transmitting light) except by experimentation. For my splitter, it was one of the cheapest cables that worked without issue.

This is where amazon reviews can be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16264 of 18458 Old 01-03-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I have never had any problems with any optical cable. I buy my cables at Amazon. Besides there is no optical splitting in cables.

But if you feel cables make a difference, by all means, buy the cable that works for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
KenM10759 likes this.
post #16265 of 18458 Old 01-04-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 221
^^^
Search Amazon for "optical splitters". I was using passive versions.

I'll say it again... it's a mostly gray world.

Sean
post #16266 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'm looking at the Kube8b subwoofer. Can anyone tell me if this model automatically powers down when there's no signal?
I even downloaded the manual on this model and they make no mention of any "auto power off" feature.

Thx

LG OLED65B6P
Denon X3400H, KEF LS50. KEF Kube8b, KEF R200c
post #16267 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a question about positioning and the LSX. I'm looking to purchase a setup for a small NYC bedroom (about 8' x 10'). I want to use it to 1) Stream bluetooth aptX HD and CD quality FLAC from my Sony WM1A DAP and 2) Listen to FM through a radio tuner, both at moderate but never high volume. I initially thought that I'd get a Naim Mu-So Qb (I can't find another single speaker solution that has the features and aesthetics I like). Most reviewers/forums say the sound quality is very good, but others say it's thin (but I think a lot of these people are listening at high volume). Overall, I'm skeptical of such a small form factor. Given that I can't find any good alternatives, I thought about increasing my budget and going for the KEF LSX (although I'm still open to just getting a refurb Naim for $540).

One thing that I'm concerned about if I go for the LSX is positioning and to what degree this should impact my decision. If you stand in front of my bed length-wise, there's a nightstand to the left at the foot of the bed (and the same height as the bed) and straight ahead there's a shelf about 2.5' above my bed. So when I'm listening in bed, I'd have one speaker on the nightstand more or less firing right at me and another above me, firing across the bed. I've attached a diagram if that helps. There aren't really any other viable layouts. Is this a totally screwed up positioning that will have a big negative impact (and perhaps I should just get the Naim Mu-So Qb, put it on my nightstand, and be done with it)? Or will this be just fine as the positioning, while not ideal, would be fine?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bedroom.png
Views:	43
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	2506170  
post #16268 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 21
How does the bass extension setting (less, standard, extra) coincide with having a subwoofer connected to the speakers? Would having a setting on "Less" cause lower frequencies to be cut off going to the sub? Does this only effect the speakers when no sub is connected?

What settings should be used with a sub connected, for this particular parameter?
post #16269 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3343 Post(s)
Liked: 1843
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpro8 View Post
I'm looking at the Kube8b subwoofer. Can anyone tell me if this model automatically powers down when there's no signal?
I even downloaded the manual on this model and they make no mention of any "auto power off" feature.

Thx
I have a Kube 10b, same controls and amp. It does go into a stand-by mode, not completely off. I haven't looked to see how much power it draws in stand-by, probably under a few watts.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #16270 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I have a Kube 10b, same controls and amp. It does go into a stand-by mode, not completely off. I haven't looked to see how much power it draws in stand-by, probably under a few watts.
I'm starting to think my SVS pb1000 is boomy.

Would 10b be good replacement
post #16271 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Thanks. I kind of figured it would have a stand-by mode. But, there wasn't any mention of it in the manual I downloaded.

LG OLED65B6P
Denon X3400H, KEF LS50. KEF Kube8b, KEF R200c
post #16272 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 690 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabre View Post

Boomy bass is pretty much always a problem with the room, every subwoofer in existence needs EQ in order to smooth out room modes. If you have an auto room EQ, I'd maybe run it again or measure with REW to see where your problems are. I have some of the cheapest subs around, 2 Polk PSW 505 and they are anything but boomy because I have them EQ'd flat from 20-100Hz +/- about 1.5db. If I just plopped them down without EQ they'd sound like crap, just like any other sub without any EQ.
post #16273 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

What is REW? I keep seeing that term but no clue what it is

I ran audyeeyy last night and not happy, plus, it set distance to 13f, and LCR at 11, all though sub is actually closer to me then LCR for at least 2 feet.
post #16274 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What is REW? I keep seeing that term but no clue what it is

I ran audyeeyy last night and not happy, plus, it set distance to 13f, and LCR at 11, all though sub is actually closer to me then LCR for at least 2 feet.
REW= Room EQ wizard, it's a free measurement software, there's a thread in the audio theory section of this forum on basic setup info. You could probably use your audyssey mic with the program but I'm not sure about that, it would let you see what's going on instead of just hoping Audyssey is doing a good job. Also, generally 2 subs is going to be better than 1, even if the 2 are smaller/less capable than the single sub. This is because 2 subs cancels out some of your room modes and gives you smoother bass at your listening position.
post #16275 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

That's my problem now, bass is weaker on my couch then when I sit next to my couch

And I'm limited on positioning subwoofer, I could put it in the back corner or something, but in the front I only have one corner available
post #16276 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 05:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's my problem now, bass is weaker on my couch then when I sit next to my couch

And I'm limited on positioning subwoofer, I could put it in the back corner or something, but in the front I only have one corner available
I hear ya man, bass sucks in small rooms. REW will pretty much get you as good as you're going to get though, you'll be able to see the best location for your sub and also see the best crossover for your sub and room. Then you can also mess with stuff like your distance settings to see what works best. Oh and as far as Audyssey setting that different, a low pass filter that is used on a subwoofer adds a delay to your sub so usually the optimal setting is for your receiver to add a few feet to the sub relative to the mains, mine is 2ft further away.
post #16277 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

I have actually a fairly large room, it's a partly unfinished basement and one side opens to the rest of the house (semi)

I'll Google up that rew and see what's it about

I believe it's just the position of the sub. Cause sometimes it freaking rattles the place and I feel it in stomach, although I listen fairly low as for kids upstairs and neighbour
post #16278 of 18458 Old 01-05-2019, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

You are going to be in for treat with a KEF Kube 8b/10b/12b sub. There is a preset for its placement in a corner. Fits your description.
Still consider going away from SVS and purchasing Kube 10b as one of the best decisions. The effect on the overall system sound quality was enormous. Listening to music at low volumes now is a joy.

1. Samsung UN55MU7000, Yamaha A2070, KEF R700, R200c, 2x Kube 10b
2. Panasonic 50" (plasma), Yamaha A550, KEF R300s, Q100s, Kube 12b.
post #16279 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 12:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Hello,
First time poster and first time KEF owner.

I’m coming from a 4 year old soundbar and desktop speakers. Up until now I’ve chosen to spend on quality headphones but realized it was time to upgrade my home setup.

Over the last month, I’ve audtioned maybe 8 different speaker types and brands ranging from B&W, Martin Logan, Harbeth, Definitive Technilogy and Kefs - floorstanding and Bookshelves. Always came back to the R300s. Kefs have that signature sound that makes my day and the R300s in walnut are beautiful!

During the process of finding my speakers, BB had a pretty awesome deal on the Elac Debut 2.0 series. Since I was still exploring and had FOMO, I bought the 5.1 surround setting with floorstanding, center, sub, and bookshelves for the surround. I like the Elacs, but decided to stick with the R300s and return/sell the Elac F6.2s.

I’m hoping I could get some guidance on what I can pair with the R300s. My overall goal is to have a 5.1 system, but my budget won’t allow me to spend on KEF centers or surrounds right now. I was thinking about pairing the Elac center (c6.2), sub and bookshelves with the R300s. Any thoughts on that before I spend a few hours tomorrow unboxing? I could, alternatively, continue using my sound bar for surround sound and movies and use the KEFs only for music until I’m ready to spend more.

I should’ve prefaced by saying that I’m driving it all on a Denon X3400 receiver. I watch a fair amount of TV but don’t really need surround sound for Netflix. I do game a bit and would love to have surround sound for that. The missus and I watch maybe one movie a week, but we get in at least a couple hours of easy music listening a day.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated!
post #16280 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 04:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
I have actually a fairly large room, it's a partly unfinished basement and one side opens to the rest of the house (semi)

I'll Google up that rew and see what's it about

I believe it's just the position of the sub. Cause sometimes it freaking rattles the place and I feel it in stomach, although I listen fairly low as for kids upstairs and neighbour

You could do a sub crawl for a possible quick solution until you figure out how to use REW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #16281 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey, I bought a pair of LSX speakers on friday and noticed that the master speaker has this quiet high pitched noise coming from the back while plugged in to power. The sound changes pitch when first plugged in for a few times then settles on a tone. It's quiet enough not to really be a bother but Im wondering if it is a defect. Does anyone else with LSX or LS50W have same? Thanks in advance.
post #16282 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iarnurav View Post
Hello,
First time poster and first time KEF owner.

I’m coming from a 4 year old soundbar and desktop speakers. Up until now I’ve chosen to spend on quality headphones but realized it was time to upgrade my home setup.

Over the last month, I’ve audtioned maybe 8 different speaker types and brands ranging from B&W, Martin Logan, Harbeth, Definitive Technilogy and Kefs - floorstanding and Bookshelves. Always came back to the R300s. Kefs have that signature sound that makes my day and the R300s in walnut are beautiful!

During the process of finding my speakers, BB had a pretty awesome deal on the Elac Debut 2.0 series. Since I was still exploring and had FOMO, I bought the 5.1 surround setting with floorstanding, center, sub, and bookshelves for the surround. I like the Elacs, but decided to stick with the R300s and return/sell the Elac F6.2s.

I’m hoping I could get some guidance on what I can pair with the R300s. My overall goal is to have a 5.1 system, but my budget won’t allow me to spend on KEF centers or surrounds right now. I was thinking about pairing the Elac center (c6.2), sub and bookshelves with the R300s. Any thoughts on that before I spend a few hours tomorrow unboxing? I could, alternatively, continue using my sound bar for surround sound and movies and use the KEFs only for music until I’m ready to spend more.

I should’ve prefaced by saying that I’m driving it all on a Denon X3400 receiver. I watch a fair amount of TV but don’t really need surround sound for Netflix. I do game a bit and would love to have surround sound for that. The missus and I watch maybe one movie a week, but we get in at least a couple hours of easy music listening a day.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc. would be much appreciated!
What is your budget for center and surrounds?
No mention of a sub, do you have a sub with your soundbar or something else?
What are the room dimensions?
KenM10759 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #16283 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
What is your budget for center and surrounds?
No mention of a sub, do you have a sub with your soundbar or something else?
What are the room dimensions?
At this point, probably $500 for both, surround + center.
I have the Elac sub, but since I haven’t unboxed it, I’m open to suggestions on something else for around $250.
post #16284 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I have a Kef LSX (recent purchase)and am super pleased with it but I have this annoying low pitch hiss and I think it’s because of my power blocks (just the basic 5 euro ones). (Using optical cables , cheap , have an order for more expensive thick optical cables)

I am buying power mains blocks: (400-700 euro)
Supra Grenuttag MD07DC-16-EU Or
IsoTek evo3 Polaris

My questions:
Would investing in good power mains be worth it?
Does any of you have experience with those?

Bonus questions: I can’t use Netflix with LSX using the cheap optical cable to my pc (I hope me buying a better one will solve the problem). I get a high pitch noise and the Netflix freezes up a bit (scares me so I don’t push it, closing the windows immediately).
Any solutions?

I would appreciate any help or feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #16285 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have the Elac sub, but since I haven’t unboxed it, I’m open to suggestions on something else for around $250.
You complicate your life for no reason.
Should if kept ELACs and you would of had a great no brainer setup that sounds awesome.
post #16286 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Elac subs are actually pretty decent and sound pretty nice, at least musically. Ideally you'd want to get an R200C to match your 300's. Since you wouldn't use the center for stereo music, you could go with a Q650 which would be fine for HT use. That said, the price difference between the Q650 a R200 isn't that great, getting an R200c now before they're all gone would be worth money.

If you're not the patient type, a resonable alternative would be the Canton Chrono center. A few members have paired Chrono center with Kef and have reported good results.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...r-black/1.html
Due to budget constraints, have you considered going with Q150/350 &650C. They would be much more budget friendly and adding the matching surrounds later would be much cheaper. You'd have a cohesive 5.1 setup rather than a hodge podge of mixed speakers all around. The latest Q series are quite for the price.

post #16287 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Should if kept ELACs and you would of had a great no brainer setup that sounds awesome.
It's hard to justify keeping speakers you don't like. Mind you, the Kef R300's are a level up and considerably more expensive.

post #16288 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

What I understood, he hasn't even tried them!
post #16289 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonza4 View Post
Hey, I bought a pair of LSX speakers on friday and noticed that the master speaker has this quiet high pitched noise coming from the back while plugged in to power. The sound changes pitch when first plugged in for a few times then settles on a tone. It's quiet enough not to really be a bother but Im wondering if it is a defect. Does anyone else with LSX or LS50W have same? Thanks in advance.
It's a common issue with electronics. A cheater plug resolves the issue 98% of the time.
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-MP...s=cheater+plug

post #16290 of 18458 Old 01-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Elac subs are actually pretty decent and sound pretty nice, at least musically. Ideally you'd want to get an R200C to match your 300's. Since you wouldn't use the center for stereo music, you could go with a Q650 which would be fine for HT use. That said, the price difference between the Q650 a R200 isn't that great, getting an R200c now before they're all gone would be worth money.

If you're not the patient type, a resonable alternative would be the Canton Chrono center. A few members have paired Chrono center with Kef and have reported good results.
Due to budget constraints, have you considered going with Q150/350 &650C. They would be much more budget friendly and adding the matching surrounds later would be much cheaper. You'd have a cohesive 5.1 setup rather than a hodge podge of mixed speakers all around. The latest Q series are quite for the price.
I've tried the Q150 and 350s but didn't quite like them for the kind of music I listen to. They sounded a little flat and honestly, the Elac f6.2 did a better job at a similar price range.

I have some time before I need to return the Elacs so I'll definitely try the sub and see if I can get a decent 2.1 system to start with. The R300s do a fairly decent job with vocals and bass in movies already, but I certainly miss the rumbles in Mad Max.

Thank you for the suggestion on the Canton. I think I saw one (not sure if it's the same) at the store so I'll ask if I can do a home demo. Although, is there a reason why you feel the KEF centers would work better?

Quote:
True - I probably did in this instance.

Quote:
What I understood, he hasn't even tried them!
Since music listening is my primary objective, I've compared the Elac towers with the R300s. But after listening to the KEFs I keep thinking the Elacs are missing *something* and can't justify keeping them even though they're significantly cheaper. I also tried the Elac bookshelves and didn't think those came even close to the kind of sound I'm looking for.

I was looking for advise on making a more cohesive surround sound system for gaming/movie watching/etc. and trying to get a sense of whether someone has paired or suggests pairing the Elacs with Kefs. The reason I'm asking before testing myself is because I don't want to have to reinvent the wheel if someone has already tried this before - the knowledge base on these forums is tremendous and I wanted to see if I could either make use of what I had in hand or narrow down potential options for me to test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page