post #17641 of 18218 Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I don't have it on my desk, it's on a Salamander Archetype 3.0 (turned the narrow way) next to my desk. It measures a bit under 4" tall, 8-1/2" wide and 10-1/4" deep. That is in millimeters 100 tall, 215 wide, 260 deep.

https://nadelectronics.com/product/m...ing-amplifier/
Ken,
I almost waited on the M10 but went with a smaller Marantz unit. Any complaints? What did you upgrade from?

How's the BlueOS software integration? I've read Hypex NCore is the thing.

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17642 of 18218 Old 05-15-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3282 Post(s)
Liked: 1794
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton View Post
Ken,
I almost waited on the M10 but went with a smaller Marantz unit. Any complaints? What did you upgrade from?

How's the BlueOS software integration? I've read Hypex NCore is the thing.
I previously had a Bluesound Powernode 2 (60w/ch) on my desktop to power my LS50's that were also sitting on my desk. The reason I upgraded was because I had been to my dealer many times and heard the LS50's powered by a wide range of amps and power levels. They almost always sound better with more power, even at the low levels I listen to.

The Bluesound Powernode 2 has a Burr-Brown PCM5122 DAC, and it's a little "softer" than the ESS Sabre 9028 that's in the M10. I notice a little more detail, slightly extended highs. The control of the BluOS on the M10 is terrific! I have perfect integration of my KEF Kube 10b sub, and everything got even better once I got the Dirac Live calibration done. That Dirac Live is another reason I wanted the M10, and I have not been disappointed in any way.
dmcdayton likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
post #17643 of 18218 Old 05-15-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I'm playing around with setups, and currently using a little NAD 328 D-class integrated to drive LS50s for TV. I removed Auralex pads the LS50s had been sitting on and set the speakers directly on the IsoAcoustic stands -- they were blocking the bottom of projection screen. Much to my surprise that opened up the sound of the LS50s. Sounds much nicer than I expected.

An Ayre A7e is scheduled to be delivered today for use with the LS50s, with NHT Zeros later this week for the NAD 328.

Every time I think about letting the Ref 107/2s go for the sake of downsizing a quick listen makes me wonder if that might be a crazy thing to do. They've got to be among the best speakers I've ever heard. Still there remains the problem of inserting the KUBE between a balanced Ayre preamp and amp and breaking the Ayre zero feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17644 of 18218 Old 05-15-2019, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante172 View Post
You should be able to hit 101+ db peaks at average listening distances which is quite loud(This is assuming both speakers are playing). So unless you want to play near rock concert levels I think that amp should be fine. A worthwhile upgrade to a 50 wpc amp would be around 200 wpc anything less than that would be marginal imo. A 200 wpc amp should play about 6 db louder than a 50 wpc. 10db is perceived as twice as loud for upper frequencies and roughly 6b is perceived as twice as loud for bass.

Congrats on the R7s
Thank you. I'm so IN LOVE with my R7s that words can't fully define it. Before those I've had Triangle Titus and Triangle Antal and Zerius speakers and although the sound was quite good the R7 sound is out-of-this-world. Before buying the R7s I auditioned a lot of other speakers and I'm so glad I chose well. They image so well that I don't need and toe in and they are more forgiving for the sweet spot although I always sit in my sweet spot that took me long nights after nights to find it.

I know I may be sounding like a kid with a new toy (I just connected my R7s last saturday) but like a publicity ad, they make my music sound like it's right there and I can touch it.

With the song "Sweet & Pungent" by Duke Ellington from his album Blues in Orbit, the muted trombone sounds otherworldly and to me it's the equivalent to watching a good 3D movie like the ones they have in Disney. You could swear the trombone it's pointing at you and that the sound is coming to you!
KenM10759 and SouthernCA like this.
post #17645 of 18218 Old 05-15-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obonillaf View Post
Thank you. I'm so IN LOVE with my R7s that words can't fully define it. Before those I've had Triangle Titus and Triangle Antal and Zerius speakers and although the sound was quite good the R7 sound is out-of-this-world. Before buying the R7s I auditioned a lot of other speakers and I'm so glad I chose well. They image so well that I don't need and toe in and they are more forgiving for the sweet spot although I always sit in my sweet spot that took me long nights after nights to find it.

I know I may be sounding like a kid with a new toy (I just connected my R7s last saturday) but like a publicity ad, they make my music sound like it's right there and I can touch it.

With the song "Sweet & Pungent" by Duke Ellington from his album Blues in Orbit, the muted trombone sounds otherworldly and to me it's the equivalent to watching a good 3D movie like the ones they have in Disney. You could swear the trombone it's pointing at you and that the sound is coming to you!
No surprise to me that you're so smitten with the new R7's! What are you using as sources and amplification for them?

The first time I heard the R7's at my dealer's place, they had them connected to a Naim Uniti Atom and the bass coming out of them was shocking. I've never heard (or felt) the bass like that out of the previous R700's no matter what they were using to drive them.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I found the soundstage with properly placed R7's is not only tall, wide, and acutely defined, it also has depth from well out in front of them to far behind. Just stunning. The R11's are even more dramatic, but not by a big amount.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
post #17646 of 18218 Old 05-15-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
No surprise to me that you're so smitten with the new R7's! What are you using as sources and amplification for them?

The first time I heard the R7's at my dealer's place, they had them connected to a Naim Uniti Atom and the bass coming out of them was shocking. I've never heard (or felt) the bass like that out of the previous R700's no matter what they were using to drive them.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I found the soundstage with properly placed R7's is not only tall, wide, and acutely defined, it also has depth from well out in front of them to far behind. Just stunning. The R11's are even more dramatic, but not by a big amount.
Yes the bass rendering it's impressive, very dynamic. Curiously enough I also auditioned the R3s but didn't impressed me as much. The dealer in my country does not carry the R11s but I bet they most sound wonderful too and obviously with more bass presence and keeping the same good imaging because, as you know, the Q driver in the R5, R7 and R11 is placed at the exact same height.

My sources are: Amp: Rega Brio (latest model) and Streamer: BlueSound Node 2.1 using Tidal Premium (CD quality and MQA). I might venture into turntables but not yet convinced.

I would like to change my amp though...
post #17647 of 18218 Old 05-15-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
wattage is meaningless without digging deeper, but typically bigger amplifiers can handles 4/2 ohm loads much easier than smaller amplifier. IMO this is more important for dynamics (dynamics power is often overlooked). 9/10 times bigger amps will be more dynamic and will provide ample headroom without necessarily being louder.

if you compare his rega to a nad326bee at first you may think that it's not a worthy upgrade since they're both 50w amplifiers. If you look closer you'll notice that NAD is rated down to 2ohms with dynamic peaks capable of:

8ohms/100w
4ohms/150w
2ohms/200w

even is you compare it to the Yamaha a-s301 (my least favorite of the series) at first you may thin 60w its surely a better integrated amplifier until you take a look at it's dynamic capabilities (fall short big times imo) but theres also a reason why the nad326bee cost significantly more.

8ohms/100w
4ohms/140w
2ohms/150w

while the rega is rated down to 4ohms @ 73w rms and doesn't list its dynamic capabilities which i'm guessing isn't that great.

He would see a significant increase in dynamics moving over to something like the NAD326bee or yamaha a-s501/801.

But if it was me i would spend my money on a pair of outlaw model 2200 monoblock amps ($719 shipped) with a pre-amp

so does he need a better/more powerful amp? No, but it will certainly increase his dynamic and overall experience with his R7's
Thank you VERY MUCH for this quite informative post. You just nailed on what I'm looking for. I'm so happy with my recently acquired R7s that would like to use them with the best amplifier that can do justice for them at LOW to MID volume, being LOW volume what I use most.

I just bought the Rega Brio based on many raved reviews that even place it as the best amplifier of all (e.g. What Hi Fi) BUT I know for sure that there must be better amps out there. I don't want a minimal or small upgrade, I want a big one and my budget is around $10,000. I am reading some reviews that praise the Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 amplifier, also the Cambridge Edge A and others I'm just learning. Since there are very few (just two!) audiophile stores in my country my resources are just what I can gather from websites like Stereophile, TAS, What Hi Fi, CNET and all the forums out there like this one. I'm somehow seduced by the Mcintosh amplifiers but I've heard two on a recent trip to the US and wasn't much impressed.

I also own a tube amplifier, the Cayin A-50T MKII Tube Integrated Amp and tested both the ultralinear and triode modes but didn't like the sound, at least not more than the Rega Brio.

I haven't tested on my R7s and probably won't ever but surprisingly a "amp" that I've used on other speakers with excellent image and almost zero noise it's a cheap one class T called the Sonic Impact T Amp...

Thank you!
post #17648 of 18218 Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Thank you VERY MUCH for this quite informative post. You just nailed on what I'm looking for. I'm so happy with my recently acquired R7s that would like to use them with the best amplifier that can do justice for them at LOW to MID volume, being LOW volume what I use most.

I just bought the Rega Brio based on many raved reviews that even place it as the best amplifier of all (e.g. What Hi Fi) BUT I know for sure that there must be better amps out there. I don't want a minimal or small upgrade, I want a big one and my budget is around $10,000. I am reading some reviews that praise the Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 3 amplifier, also the Cambridge Edge A and others I'm just learning. Since there are very few (just two!) audiophile stores in my country my resources are just what I can gather from websites like Stereophile, TAS, What Hi Fi, CNET and all the forums out there like this one. I'm somehow seduced by the Mcintosh amplifiers but I've heard two on a recent trip to the US and wasn't much impressed.

I also own a tube amplifier, the Cayin A-50T MKII Tube Integrated Amp and tested both the ultralinear and triode modes but didn't like the sound, at least not more than the Rega Brio.

I haven't tested on my R7s and probably won't ever but surprisingly a "amp" that I've used on other speakers with excellent image and almost zero noise it's a cheap one class T called the Sonic Impact T Amp...

Thank you!

The Benchmark AHB2 is something on my radar based on feedback from some Revel Salon2 owners on this Forum who have gone from Parasound to biamping with ATI 6000 Signature to now this. Anyone using this amp on the Reference or new R series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
obonillaf likes this.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #17649 of 18218 Old 05-15-2019, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Ayre DX-5 DSD - Ayre A7e - KEF LS50s

I discovered a superb combination today. The DX-5 DSD is an excellent single source that plays discs and Roon files via asynchronous USB, and has a fine DAC. The A7e integrated amp and LS50s pair exceptionally well. Following Art Dudley's admonition re the A7e I'm using balanced mode.
obonillaf and KenM10759 like this.
post #17650 of 18218 Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:

Thank you!

No problem, and thats just scratching the surface as well. Specs also don't always tell the whole stories since they can be manipulated by companies but at least it's a start in terms of what to look for.
obonillaf likes this.

Speakers: KEF Q100 / Q300 / Q750 / Q650C, Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf / SX6 / XL5F, Mirage M-190 Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2), BIC H100-II Receiver: Denon AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501, Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Headphones: Philips SPH9500s, Audio Tech. ATH-M40x, Takstar Pro 82.
post #17651 of 18218 Old 05-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgallant View Post
No problem, and thats just scratching the surface as well. Specs also don't always tell the whole stories since they can be manipulated by companies but at least it's a start in terms of what to look for.
I can live with specs being manipulated by companies though it's an unethical behavior and even a felony BUT what would really disturb me is if professional reviewers, magazines and the like would also lie to the readers in favor of some companies!

Hope I'm not asking too much, but given the specs of my speakers (KEF R7) with recommended power 15-250 watts and nominal impedance 8 Ohms (min.3.2 Ohms) given that I love to hear all the subtleties and little details of the music (I guess that makes me an analytical listener) and that really loves good soundstaging and imaging (the most precise 3d / holographic / etc possible) and very important, who usually listen at night at low volume so the less noise apart from the music itself is desired, which amps would you suggest? My budget is up to $10,000 if needed.

I'm also finding out what amplifiers does KEF favor when doing demonstrations of their speakers...

Thanks you very much!
post #17652 of 18218 Old 05-16-2019, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

Thank you!

Clean power is clean power. All the major brands provide clean power and the amplification sounds the same. It is the room corrections and features that change the sound. I would buy the amp you want that has the features you want.

It does matter if the amp is under powered because it will distort.

-To be an audiophile you must abandon all research and science.
post #17653 of 18218 Old 05-16-2019, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Got the Q50a's mounted yesterday, so the new front soundstage is finally complete! As an added bonus, because my NAD T758v3 has a bug in the DTS:X update when "dolby enabled speakers" are selected in the options (doesn't send any audio to the height channels), now that I've been able to change it to "top front" I have DTS:X support. I still have the long patient wait on my GIK Acoustic panel order to finish up the new living room setup though as they're behind in production times right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	207.7 KB
ID:	2567700  

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / SVS PB12-NSD
post #17654 of 18218 Old 05-16-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modenacart View Post
Clean power is clean power. All the major brands provide clean power and the amplification sounds the same. It is the room corrections and features that change the sound. I would buy the amp you want that has the features you want.

It does matter if the amp is under powered because it will distort.

I understand the basics of the science behind an amplification but I've read many reviews, e.g. the review of my Rega Brio amp, that, after lab measurements, state that a given amplifier does add a particular layer of sound to the original sound and that gives said amplifier a particular or "signature" sound...

On the other hand, even if all amplifiers sound the same, wouldn't it be a difference between them in terms of which of those amplifiers are more "silent" and have better filters to provide an absolutely clean sound? That difference in the treatment of the same electrical signal could be defining when telling which amplifier is the best, right?

I'm happy with the sound of my Rega Brio. I just wish to do the most favor to my speakers and would like to find an amplifier that could provide a stronger, fuller sound at low volume and to have the less hiss and or other noises as possible.
post #17655 of 18218 Old 05-16-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Best thing to do is call KEF directly (AMAZING customer service) and speak with on of the techs. They'll give you a recommendation or two.
obonillaf likes this.

Speakers: KEF Q100 / Q300 / Q750 / Q650C, Fluance Signature Series Bookshelf / SX6 / XL5F, Mirage M-190 Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2), BIC H100-II Receiver: Denon AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501, Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Headphones: Philips SPH9500s, Audio Tech. ATH-M40x, Takstar Pro 82.
post #17656 of 18218 Old 05-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I understand the basics of the science behind an amplification but I've read many reviews, e.g. the review of my Rega Brio amp, that, after lab measurements, state that a given amplifier does add a particular layer of sound to the original sound and that gives said amplifier a particular or "signature" sound...

On the other hand, even if all amplifiers sound the same, wouldn't it be a difference between them in terms of which of those amplifiers are more "silent" and have better filters to provide an absolutely clean sound? That difference in the treatment of the same electrical signal could be defining when telling which amplifier is the best, right?

I'm happy with the sound of my Rega Brio. I just wish to do the most favor to my speakers and would like to find an amplifier that could provide a stronger, fuller sound at low volume and to have the less hiss and or other noises as possible.

Reviews are mostly made up. Amplification is just increasing current. As long as that is done cleanly there is no impact on sound. It is not rocket science.

There is no doubt that when you can see your amp your brain “hears” differently but under blind cases that is not what happens. As long as you are happy with your amp, that is all that matters.

post #17657 of 18218 Old 05-16-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1998 Post(s)
Liked: 2150
Quote:
Reviews are mostly made up. Amplification is just increasing current. As long as that is done cleanly there is no impact on sound. It is not rocket science.

There is no doubt that when you can see your amp your brain “hears” differently but under blind cases that is not what happens. As long as you are happy with your amp, that is all that matters.

Lol.
KenM10759 likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #17658 of 18218 Old 05-17-2019, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I thought that for a while too. Over on the "other" forum where they debunk a lot of stuff, even their reviews of amps does note differences. They haven't found that to be true with most cables yet, but neither have I. I do not believe "most" reviews are made-up, particularly those with measurements which even list the measuring devices.

To my ears, there are noticeable differences in amps. It's especially notable with good tube amps versus a cheap AVR. There's less difference among various solid state class A-B power amps, but in integrated amps with internal DAC, there can be big differences. If you haven't heard it, good for you as you'll continue to save a lot of money.

post #17659 of 18218 Old 05-17-2019, 02:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Lol.

Dr. Floyd Toole, who literally wrote the book on double blind tests for speakers and Rex Anderson, who sets up sound systems for concert halls, both share this opinion. In case you don’t known who Dr Toole is,
, this is an excellent lecture by him.

Unless you are able to produce credentials anywhere equivalent to theirs or at least some type of blind study that even remotely suggest amplification matters, then “lol” is an interesting response at best, but I guess there are people who still believe the world is flat.

post #17660 of 18218 Old 05-17-2019, 03:28 AM
Advanced Member

KEF Owners Thread

Quote:
I thought that for a while too. Over on the "other" forum where they debunk a lot of stuff, even their reviews of amps does note differences. They haven't found that to be true with most cables yet, but neither have I. I do not believe "most" reviews are made-up, particularly those with measurements which even list the measuring devices.

To my ears, there are noticeable differences in amps. It's especially notable with good tube amps versus a cheap AVR. There's less difference among various solid state class A-B power amps, but in integrated amps with internal DAC, there can be big differences. If you haven't heard it, good for you as you'll continue to save a lot of money.

Here is a very good Ted talk on how you brain responds to nerve stimulus. Maybe it can help complete the though as to why it is important to reduce inputs if you want to know how your brain would really responds. It shows why you need to do “review” blind if they are going to have any real validity. I suspect not a single review referred to on an amp has ever been blind.

Tube amps actually recreate the signal and can add noise which can change the sound. What is interesting is the noise seems to be positive.

Last edited by modenacart; 05-17-2019 at 03:32 AM.
post #17661 of 18218 Old 05-17-2019, 03:29 AM
Advanced Member

KEF Owners Thread

Delete
post #17662 of 18218 Old 05-17-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@modenacart , you are of course afforded to take all of what Floyd Toole and other highly educated audio engineers have documented at face value and believe it as Gospel. I did too, for years.

I'm 59 now and have been into this since I was a kid. It's only in the last 2 years of really intently listening, especially the last 9 months of having the LS50's that I could truly appreciate nuances in sound that my friends and family still don't give a damn about. I make NO claims to be any kind of an audiophile, and you can refer to me as an audiophool if you wish. I got thick skin and don't hold grudges. I like some amps now better than others, and believe in my heart that there are some really good ones of both tube and solid state. I'm happy with the one upper-mid level one I have now, but really like what I hear out of Naim products lately. Fortunately for my wallet, I can't afford it.

I'm not there yet with any cables though.
jima4a and Jus32 like this.

post #17663 of 18218 Old 05-17-2019, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
@modenacart , you are of course afforded to take all of what Floyd Toole and other highly educated audio engineers have documented at face value and believe it as Gospel. I did too, for years.

I'm 59 now and have been into this since I was a kid. It's only in the last 2 years of really intently listening, especially the last 9 months of having the LS50's that I could truly appreciate nuances in sound that my friends and family still don't give a damn about. I make NO claims to be any kind of an audiophile, and you can refer to me as an audiophool if you wish. I got thick skin and don't hold grudges. I like some amps now better than others, and believe in my heart that there are some really good ones of both tube and solid state. I'm happy with the one upper-mid level one I have now, but really like what I hear out of Naim products lately. Fortunately for my wallet, I can't afford it.

I'm not there yet with any cables though.

And the load that the speakers present to the amp can also help distinguish between amps. Two way Q series are not likely going to put many demands on an amp like the 105/3s could or Blades do.

KenM10759 likes this.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #17664 of 18218 Old 05-17-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
And the load that the speakers present to the amp can also help distinguish between amps. Two way Q series are not likely going to put many demands on an amp like the 105/3s could or Blades do.

I think (my brain at work) my 100w/ch NAD M10 makes my harder-to-drive KEF LS50's sound far better than the 30w/ch NAD D3020 did.

That is all. Carry on.

jima4a likes this.

post #17665 of 18218 Old 05-18-2019, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

That is available power, if you run out of power the amp will clip and distort. That is a clear fact and has nothing to do with the fact that two amps of the same power will sound the same as long as you don’t apply DSP or EQ.

post #17666 of 18218 Old 05-18-2019, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think (my brain at work) my 100w/ch NAD M10 makes my harder-to-drive KEF LS50's sound far better than the 30w/ch NAD D3020 did.

That is all. Carry on.

This post really illustrates a flaw in your approach. The amps have two different power ratings and if you run out of power there is distortion.

I guess you didn’t watch the ted talk on how the body interprets pain or you should have realized that there are no pain sensors in the body, the brain just gets a signal and the brain uses a bunch of other information it has stored and it retrieves locally to determine if the sensation is pain and how bad it should hurt. This clearly suggest why you can’t judge amps without being blind to seeing the amps but I suppose the neuroscience community is wrong too.

This whole thing is no different than when you are shown two images with different environmental factors that make the images look different. You swear they look different but are clearly the same when laid on top of each other but is guess that is all a fabrication too and they really are different.

My grandfather was chief engineer at Rockwell durning the Apollo missions. He had decades of experience designing amplifiers. It was his strong opinion and that of his engineers that amplification has no impact on sound quality as long as you have the required power. I suppose the engineering community and the scientific community that study sound reproduction and people’s preferences are wrong and some random people on the internet know best. I guess the world is still flat and the clouds behind airplanes are mind control gas.

Yes, we should move.

post #17667 of 18218 Old 05-18-2019, 03:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This post really illustrates a flaw in your approach. The amps have two different power ratings and if you run out of power there is distortion.

I guess you didn’t watch the ted talk on how the body interprets pain or you should have realized that there are no pain sensors in the body, the brain just gets a signal and the brain uses a bunch of other information it has stored and it retrieves locally to determine if the sensation is pain and how bad it should hurt. This clearly suggest why you can’t judge amps without being blind to seeing the amps but I suppose the neuroscience community is wrong too.

This whole thing is no different than when you are shown two images with different environmental factors that make the images look different. You swear they look different but are clearly the same when laid on top of each other but is guess that is all a fabrication too and they really are different.

My grandfather was chief engineer at Rockwell durning the Apollo missions. He had decades of experience designing amplifiers. It was his strong opinion and that of his engineers that amplification has no impact on sound quality as long as you have the required power. I suppose the engineering community and the scientific community that study sound reproduction and people’s preferences are wrong and some random people on the internet know best. I guess the world is still flat and the clouds behind airplanes are mind control gas.

Yes, we should move.

And you missed my point completely. I kind of expected it.

post #17668 of 18218 Old 05-18-2019, 03:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
And you missed my point completely. I kind of expected it.

What was the point?

post #17669 of 18218 Old 05-18-2019, 03:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What was the point?

Just enjoy whatever you like. Please.

post #17670 of 18218 Old 05-18-2019, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Just enjoy whatever you like. Please.

Exactly.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page