Forum Jump: 
 5536Likes

post #17671 of 18023 Old 05-18-2019, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked: 670
Two questions... this is for my living room TV set up - don't want anything exorbitant.
I have pair of LS50's..
What sub would you recommend to go with them?
What Center channel speaker?
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17672 of 18023 Old 05-18-2019, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Sharma View Post
Two questions... this is for my living room TV set up - don't want anything exorbitant.

I have pair of LS50's..

Thanks in advance

For the sub, I recommend you go to the sub forum and read the stickies so you can get an idea of what you should consider when choosing a sub.

-To be an audiophile you must abandon all research and science.
post #17673 of 18023 Old 05-18-2019, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked: 1761
Quote:
I have pair of LS50's..
Thanks in advance
Two questions gets you many more back!

How big is the room?
How far from the speakers do you sit to listen?
Are you in a single-family home where shaking the floors and walls with deep Low Frequency Effects (LFE) of movies is going to be ok, or even desired?
What's the budget for each?

The best center speaker would likely be a single LS50. They are available from many sources. They can be laid down on their side with no change in sound other than it might need to be tipped-up so all 3 tweeters (L-C-R) are pointing at the same plane. Other KEF center speakers work pretty good too, the R series in particular.

Subwoofers can be small, pretty, large, and ugly. How they perform can be all over the map too. How important is looks? How deep would you want it to go?

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17674 of 18023 Old 05-18-2019, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 3014 Post(s)
Liked: 2502
Quote:
I have pair of LS50's..
Thanks in advance
If you're after musical performance, a good sealed sub would be a good choice. If you want bone crushing tactile feel during movies, a ported sub may be the better. Many subs today offer the best of both worlds, but as @KenM10759 pointed out, we need more information to make appropriate recommendations.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #17675 of 18023 Old 05-18-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
If you're after musical performance, a good sealed sub would be a good choice. If you want bone crushing tactile feel during movies, a ported sub may be the better. Many subs today offer the best of both worlds, but as @KenM10759 pointed out, we need more information to make appropriate recommendations.
Thanks ... also @kenm
It is a informal TV watching living room area .... room is connected to a open kitchen and has high ceilings vaulted..
So not ideal for a audiophile room at all...
The room has large volume and at times I raise the volume but not much as I have a dedicated theater room.
So it is more for casual listening.
I bought the LS 50 pair and it is awesome and stealth (size).
I am thinking if I can find a center LS50 that would be good - I guess the only choice is to buy from KEF direct.
Will go with a sealed sub... most likely.
post #17676 of 18023 Old 05-18-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Thanks ... also @kenm

It is a informal TV watching living room area .... room is connected to a open kitchen and has high ceilings vaulted..

The room has large volume and at times I raise the volume but not much as I have a dedicated theater room.

I am thinking if I can find a center LS50 that would be good - I guess the only choice is to buy from KEF direct.

Look into Rythmik servo subs. They are known for being musical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #17677 of 18023 Old 05-18-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks ... also @kenm
You could save a bunch of $ getting your single LS50 from A4L.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eaker-1/1.html
Large open room typically require big powerful sub or 2 smaller subs. If you don't do critical music listening, 2 RSL speedwoofers would like do. If you want better musica performance, go with dual Kef Kube 12's
https://rslspeakers.com/speedwoofer10s/
KenM10759 likes this.

Kef Q100 FL/FR,SL/SR, Q200C, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, , Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #17678 of 18023 Old 05-18-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks ... also @kenm
KEF Direct is not the only place to buy a single LS50. Check Audigon, US Audiomart, and the classified ads here too.
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red, Bluesound Vault2, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Desktop: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b. Guest room: Hafler 200 L-R, KEF reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, M&K V-90 sub.
post #17679 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by modenacart View Post
This post really illustrates a flaw in your approach. The amps have two different power ratings and if you run out of power there is distortion.

I guess you didn’t watch the ted talk on how the body interprets pain or you should have realized that there are no pain sensors in the body, the brain just gets a signal and the brain uses a bunch of other information it has stored and it retrieves locally to determine if the sensation is pain and how bad it should hurt. This clearly suggest why you can’t judge amps without being blind to seeing the amps but I suppose the neuroscience community is wrong too.

This whole thing is no different than when you are shown two images with different environmental factors that make the images look different. You swear they look different but are clearly the same when laid on top of each other but is guess that is all a fabrication too and they really are different.

My grandfather was chief engineer at Rockwell durning the Apollo missions. He had decades of experience designing amplifiers. It was his strong opinion and that of his engineers that amplification has no impact on sound quality as long as you have the required power. I suppose the engineering community and the scientific community that study sound reproduction and people’s preferences are wrong and some random people on the internet know best. I guess the world is still flat and the clouds behind airplanes are mind control gas.

Yes, we should move.

You are correct that a true amp does nothing but amplifies the sound. But in real world, all amps also modify the sound just because they are made of electronic components and circuits, none of which are ideal. So two amps can have different sound signatures even though they are not meaning to change the sound. And people may like the sound signature of one amp over the other.

Is that possible?
KenM10759 and Jus32 like this.
post #17680 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I have pair of LS50's..

Thanks in advance
I have svs sb12 nsd and it is ok. Many people here swear by Kube 10b or 12b.
post #17681 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

KEF Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
You are correct that a true amp does nothing but amplifies the sound. But in real world, all amps also modify the sound just because they are made of electronic components and circuits, none of which are ideal. So two amps can have different sound signatures even though they are not meaning to change the sound. And people may like the sound signature of one amp over the other.

Is that possible?

What you are talking about is the introduction of noise. That is kept to below audible numbers. Since they do that the amps would and do sound the same. I would accept the engineering’s world opinion who design and test amps over any review any day.

The noisy amps were the old tube amps. They can sound different.

I think most people confuse amplification with DSP, room correction, and EQ. That will make differences in sound. Potentially huge differences.

post #17682 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
I have svs sb12 nsd and it is ok. Many people here swear by Kube 10b or 12b.
I bought a Q650C as my center - needed a white speaker as this is the living room - to go with cabinet.
Also bought Auralex MoPADs for the LS50 pair and If they work then I would need a pad for the Q650 as the cabinet shakes...
I will go with the KEF 12 Cube will wait for one to go out on sale until then will use the Klipsch 12 inch sealed sub I have.
Thanks to everyone for the help - very nice bunch of KEF owners here.
KenM10759, pase22 and SouthernCA like this.
post #17683 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I did want to stop in and say thanks again for all the help I received here. Received my speakers yesterday and got everything setup. Still waiting on my bookshelf stands and since the Q Series apparently don't come with protectors for the spikes if you have a wood floor I had to make my own while the Magnolia Rep works on getting me some. Will be looking into getting a proper AV Cabinet to clean up the cabling and probably some longer cables for the Q50As and a larger area rug to hide the cables to the surrounds. With all of that out of the way after calibration and some tweaking I am very much enjoying the setup. Played a few movies yesterday and listening to some music today and I very impressed.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190519_160651.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	2568858

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
KenM10759 and pase22 like this.
post #17684 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordy View Post
I did want to stop in and say thanks again for all the help I received here. Received my speakers yesterday and got everything setup. Still waiting on my bookshelf stands and since the Q Series apparently don't come with protectors for the spikes if you have a wood floor I had to make my own while the Magnolia Rep works on getting me some. Will be looking into getting a proper AV Cabinet to clean up the cabling and probably some longer cables for the Q50As and a larger area rug to hide the cables to the surrounds. With all of that out of the way after calibration and some tweaking I am very much enjoying the setup. Played a few movies yesterday and listening to some music today and I very impressed.Attachment 2568858

Save some time & trouble if you're am Amazon buyer. https://www.amazon.com/Satin-Black-H...6&s=aht&sr=1-5

There are others, some cheaper, but these have the rubber pad on the back and are a little bigger in diameter than the common 25mm (1") ones, like those provided by KEF with the R series speakers.
Cordy likes this.

Last edited by KenM10759; 05-19-2019 at 01:38 PM.
post #17685 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Save some time & trouble if you're am Amazon buyer. https://www.amazon.com/Satin-Black-H...6&s=aht&sr=1-5

There are others, some cheaper, but these have the rubber pad on the back and are a little bigger in diameter than the common 25mm (1") ones, like those provided by KEF with the R series speakers.
Thanks once again for the very helpful information and link. I will have to purchase a set of these.

post #17686 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I did want to stop in and say thanks again for all the help I received here. Received my speakers yesterday and got everything setup. Still waiting on my bookshelf stands and since the Q Series apparently don't come with protectors for the spikes if you have a wood floor I had to make my own while the Magnolia Rep works on getting me some. Will be looking into getting a proper AV Cabinet to clean up the cabling and probably some longer cables for the Q50As and a larger area rug to hide the cables to the surrounds. With all of that out of the way after calibration and some tweaking I am very much enjoying the setup. Played a few movies yesterday and listening to some music today and I very impressed.Attachment 2568858

I bought theses when they were about $10. MiCity Solid Pure copper 24K black nickel plated Speaker spike pads shoes feet Set of 8 pieces https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752MQGB9..._H8B4CbQS1Y77C

If you search for speaker spike pads you will find tons for a range of prices. I just stuck some of the felt floor protected pads to the bottom, which we had a bunch laying around. They fit really well.

Cordy likes this.
post #17687 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New here and a noob in this hobby. I'm planning to build my system over time, for now I only have a pair of Q350s and I need advice on what to do next.

First, I don't think the speakers are getting loud enough for me. Before this I had an LG home theater that played a little louder. Movies and music are OK, not as loud as I'd like, but good. However, depending on the source (ie sat tv) the volume can be too low (which also happened with the LG HT). Now, I have a low wattage receiver (Marantz NR1608) which is 50 watts per channel (two channels driven), and before I bought it I came to understand (maybe wrongly) that it'd be enough, and that with double the power I'd only gain 3dB, which I don't know if it'd make a difference. Are the speakers not enough for my room? do I need a more powerful receiver? maybe if I add a sub (the LG HT had a sub, maybe it makes enough difference) it'd help lessen the strain on the receiver and provide more to the speakers? Then again I'll lose more power when I add more speakers. My room is 12ft x 22ft (around 2,300ft3). I can live with the Q350s as I mostly watch movies and listen to music, but I need to know if they can sound louder or I should look at other speakers and not build my system around them.

Second, what do you recommend I add next to my system? I can only add one thing for now.
  1. Q650c. If I buy this it'd mean I'll be staying with this KEF Q system for a long time. Maybe change the fronts for the Q750s or Q950s in the future and put the Q350s as surrounds.
  2. A sub. Looking at the Kube 12b, are they a good match for the Q series?
  3. A more powerful receiver, like a Marantz SR5013/SR6013.
  4. A power amp like the Emotiva A-300 (the NR1608 has pre-outs for the fronts, however I can't find info about it on the manual so I donk know how useful they are, if at all).

I'd appreciate your help. Thanks.
post #17688 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lion View Post
New here and a noob in this hobby. I'm planning to build my system over time, for now I only have a pair of Q350s and I need advice on what to do next.

First, I don't think the speakers are getting loud enough for me. Before this I had an LG home theater that played a little louder. Movies and music are OK, not as loud as I'd like, but good. However, depending on the source (ie sat tv) the volume can be too low (which also happened with the LG HT). Now, I have a low wattage receiver (Marantz NR1608) which is 50 watts per channel (two channels driven), and before I bought it I came to understand (maybe wrongly) that it'd be enough, and that with double the power I'd only gain 3dB, which I don't know if it'd make a difference. Are the speakers not enough for my room? do I need a more powerful receiver? maybe if I add a sub (the LG HT had a sub, maybe it makes enough difference) it'd help lessen the strain on the receiver and provide more to the speakers? Then again I'll lose more power when I add more speakers. My room is 12ft x 22ft (around 2,300ft3). I can live with the Q350s as I mostly watch movies and listen to music, but I need to know if they can sound louder or I should look at other speakers and not build my system around them.

Second, what do you recommend I add next to my system? I can only add one thing for now.
  1. Q650c. If I buy this it'd mean I'll be staying with this KEF Q system for a long time. Maybe change the fronts for the Q750s or Q950s in the future and put the Q350s as surrounds.
  4. A power amp like the Emotiva A-300 (the NR1608 has pre-outs for the fronts, however I can't find info about it on the manual so I donk know how useful they are, if at all).

I had the NR1604 briefly for my third system and was extremely underwhelmed. I returned it for a X3000 Denon which is just okay. If you can swing a X4000 series Denon that would be a great option.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #17689 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don’t know what you want in a receiver or amp but this Yamaha RX-V2085 is on sale for $800. It is a beast of a receiver.

post #17690 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Looks good. A few suggestions to consider in future.

1. Center channel may be lifted up. In the current place, you will get reflections from the wooden floor making dialogs less clear.

2. If that can not be done, place a thick rug at the first reflection point.

3. Check if glass center table is also reflecting sound to your ears for left and right speakers. If yes, move the table or cover it with a rug.

4. Is there space to separate left and right speaker farther apart? If yes, that will improve imaging. The ideal distance between speakers is the same as MLP distance to the speakers.

5. Your set up looks beautiful and you probably should not disturb it. But atmos speakers on the wall will improve atmos effect.

Overall, the set up looks very good. Enjoy.
Cordy likes this.
post #17691 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The Q350's are probably a little less efficient than the LG system, as that probably had speaker built to run on even lower power. Efficiency (volume per watt) is NOT a sign of how good or bad a speaker is capable of sounding, BTW. Power does seem to be at a deficit for you, and the NR1608 has pre-outs only to take the load off the main L-R. Better AVR's would give you the ability to power the Q350's better and have all pre-outs if you need more power. I also doubt their claim of 50w/ch with all 7 channels driven. The power supply in a slim receiver like that likely couldn't keep up with that demand, but I haven't seen any measurements for it so can't prove it.

You might do well to get an honest 100 watts per channel, at least 60 guaranteed with all channels driven.

Of your options, you should carefully consider getting the features you need now and for the near future and go with an older model on closeout pricing to get more power for the money. An SR6012 can do nearly all the SR6013 can do, certainly 100% of movie watching.

You do eventually need a sub and a center channel, I'd get them in that order. Yes, the KEF Kube 12b is a great match but there are others from Rythmik, Hsu Research, SVS and other companies that could do well too. What you choose depends upon room size and are you going to affect certain neighbors or family members by shaking the whole house.

post #17692 of 18023 Old 05-19-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don’t know what you want in a receiver or amp but this Yamaha RX-V2085 is on sale for $800. It is a beast of a receiver.

2000 series Yamaha would be a great option.

post #17693 of 18023 Old 05-20-2019, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

A Q650c would make a world of difference, especially if you're sitting more than 10' from the screen. Low frequencies are what drain the most power out of an AVR. Adding a good sub would relieve your AVR from playing the lower range and would increase headroom. The sub would also be beneficial to the speakers as they'll be relieved of the low end and concentrate on the mid range which could make them actually sound better. If HT is high priority, the center and sub(s) are the most critical pieces of your setup. With a room that size, you will need a large sub or 2 smaller ones. Dual subs will provide even consistent bass throughout the room, but you can start with one and add a second later. If you want bone crushing tactile feel, an HSU VTF-3 MK5 would be a good option. If you plan on going with dual subs, the smaller VTF-2 MK5 would be ok, then add a 2nd later. If you're after better musical performance and just want more depth, The Kube 12 (You'll likely need 2 for your room) will be a good choice. NOTE: The subwoofer(s) don't need to match the rest of your speakers.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HP.html
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

Your Marantz 1608 will run a lot more efficiently with a sub(s) and center. If you think you'll need more power( If you're still within your return window), consider a Denon X3400H or Marantz SR which will have better room correction( on X3500 or SR 6XXX), dual sub eq and full set of pre-outs should you want to add an external amp.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-w/heos/1.html

post #17694 of 18023 Old 05-20-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Looks good. A few suggestions to consider in future.

1. Center channel may be lifted up. In the current place, you will get reflections from the wooden floor making dialogs less clear.

2. If that can not be done, place a thick rug at the first reflection point.

3. Check if glass center table is also reflecting sound to your ears for left and right speakers. If yes, move the table or cover it with a rug.

4. Is there space to separate left and right speaker farther apart? If yes, that will improve imaging. The ideal distance between speakers is the same as MLP distance to the speakers.

5. Your set up looks beautiful and you probably should not disturb it. But atmos speakers on the wall will improve atmos effect.

Overall, the set up looks very good. Enjoy.
1. Is there any recommendations on what I can use to lift it up?

2. I am planning to get an 8x10 area rug (thinking shag) to cover that area.

3. I plan to replace that center table with a Salamander A/V cabinet. It should also help with 1 because it has a dedicated center channel space.

4. Good information. I don't have much room to the left as there is a door on that side that opens inside. So there is some space to safely allow for that.

5. Thank you very much! That will definitely be a consideration for a future improvement.

Overall thank you for your insight and your kind words. It's my first time posting my setup so I was a little nervous. Definitely a great sigh of relief to how kind and insightful the responses have been!

SouthernCA likes this.
post #17695 of 18023 Old 05-20-2019, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

KEF Owners Thread

Quote:

3. I plan to replace that center table with a Salamander A/V cabinet. It should also help with 1 because it has a dedicated center channel space.

4. Good information. I don't have much room to the left as there is a door on that side that opens inside. So there is some space to safely allow for that.

5. Thank you very much! That will definitely be a consideration for a future improvement.

Overall thank you for your insight and your kind words. It's my first time posting my setup so I was a little nervous. Definitely a great sigh of relief to how kind and insightful the responses have been!

Make sure that center channel space will fit the center you want. I couldn’t find one to fit mine.

Cordy likes this.
post #17696 of 18023 Old 05-20-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Make sure that center channel space will fit the center you want. I couldn’t find one to fit mine.

Thanks. I had a hard time finding one as well. I'm currently looking at the Oslo 236. The center channel space is measured at 9" high so that should be enough for the Q650c which is about 8.2" high without rubber feet.

KenM10759 likes this.
post #17697 of 18023 Old 05-20-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

You are welcome. Your set up looks very well put together aesthetically.

1. You don't need to change the AV table. Just place the center channel speaker where the receiver is right now and move the receiver and other electronics where the center channel is kept today. That will raise the speaker.

2. Area rug will be good and may not even be needed once you raise the center channel speaker as above. You can use a mirror to see where the reflection may be coming from the floor and place a rug in that area.

3. I meant the glass coffee table in my original post that I thought was between the speaker and your sofa. Looking at your pic again, I realize that I was mistaken.

Either way, I am sure you are enjoying the great sound of KEF speakers.

Last edited by SouthernCA; 05-20-2019 at 06:29 PM.
post #17698 of 18023 Old 05-21-2019, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Thanks. I had a hard time finding one as well. I'm currently looking at the Oslo 236. The center channel space is measured at 9" high so that should be enough for the Q650c which is about 8.2" high without rubber feet.

The Q650c is a big speaker and I recall it measures over 24" wide. If I am looking at the specs for the right cabinet, it looks like Compartment F is only 19.75" wide, which means you would need to wall mount your TV (if not already mounted) and place the center on top of the cabinet. Also, with respect to speaker height, if your speaker is on a low shelf and you plan on angling your center upward, you will need some additional space (my Q200c was about knee height lying directly on my TV stand so I used some extra foam isolation pads to angle them upward). Just something to consider.

Just want to say I am fairly new to this myself so learning a lot from reading this forum and everyone that participates in the discussions that take place here.
Cordy likes this.

Last edited by TK33; 05-21-2019 at 05:53 AM.
post #17699 of 18023 Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
You are welcome. Your set up looks very well put together aesthetically.

1. You don't need to change the AV table. Just place the center channel speaker where the receiver is right now and move the receiver and other electronics where the center channel is kept today. That will raise the speaker.

2. Area rug will be good and may not even be needed once you raise the center channel speaker as above. You can use a mirror to see where the reflection may be coming from the floor and place a rug in that area.

3. I meant the glass coffee table in my original post that I thought was between the speaker and your sofa. Looking at your pic again, I realize that I was mistaken.

Either way, I am sure you are enjoying the great sound of KEF speakers.
Putting it on top was my original goal. But sadly that center speaker is huge so with the current table and the TV mounted at the height it is it slightly blocks the bottom of it. Enough to be distracting with content.

And yes I am. Once I got everything calibrated and some settings tweaked the sound is amazing. Definitely sounds more full and dynamic than my previous setup. And playing Flac music from Tidal using the AVR is on whole different level. I wasn't sure I was going to hear a difference but it was immediate and noticeable.

post #17700 of 18023 Old 05-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK33 View Post
The Q650c is a big speaker and I recall it measures over 24" wide. If I am looking at the specs for the right cabinet, it looks like Compartment F is only 19.75" wide, which means you would need to wall mount your TV (if not already mounted) and place the center on top of the cabinet. Also, with respect to speaker height, if your speaker is on a low shelf and you plan on angling your center upward, you will need some additional space (my Q200c was about knee height lying directly on my TV stand so I used some extra foam isolation pads to angle them upward). Just something to consider.

Just want to say I am fairly new to this myself so learning a lot from reading this forum and everyone that participates in the discussions that take place here.
Wow! Thanks a lot. I was so focused on the height I completely disregarded width. I am back to the drawing board on that one. My alternative is to find a cabinet that is low enough where I can sit it on top without impeding the view.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page