KEF Owners Thread - Page 596 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5854Likes

post #17851 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 34
What's everyone's consensus on MQA? Currently using Tidal for Hi-fi music which is great. But currently Denon doesn't support MQA. Can get around that by using something like a Dragonfly Red with my phone or a Node 2i into the AVR. Just not sure whether there is a noticable difference in quality for the added investment.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17852 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked: 1932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordy View Post
What's everyone's consensus on MQA? Currently using Tidal for Hi-fi music which is great. But currently Denon doesn't support MQA. Can get around that by using something like a Dragonfly Red with my phone or a Node 2i into the AVR. Just not sure whether there is a noticable difference in quality for the added investment.

The consensus is that....there is NO consensus of opinion. To many, MQA is a hoax, a lossy money-grabbing format. To many others (like me), it's effective in presenting a more coherent and clear soundstage. It is said by advocates that the "loss", if any, is well-below the noise floor of a recording and no one can hear...nothing. Others say they hear something going on even though it's at -110dB.

My suggestion is to try it and trust your own ears. If you have a full-unfold of the MQA files with a certified DAC (such as those in all Bluesound gear) and a Tidal HiFi subscription, it's easy to find the same recording on both their "Masters" (MQA) and their "CD" quality streams and toggle between them to compare. I have done this (a couple years ago) and preferred MQA on some, couldn't tell a difference on others, but none sounded worse on MQA.

For me, my own ears, there's a noticeable difference and I like it.
SouthernCA likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #17853 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:

Licensing money grab.

-To be an audiophile you must abandon all research and science.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17854 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by modenacart View Post
Licensing money grab.

You've made that statement a number of times now. Can you tell me who has paid what for this "money grab" and how that affects the listener?

Also, under what conditions have you compared the same recordings with and without MQA?

I've also said this before: If you like it, enjoy it. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.
SouthernCA likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
post #17855 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
You've made that statement a number of times now. Can you tell me who has paid what for this "money grab" and how that affects the listener?

Also, under what conditions have you compared the same recordings with and without MQA?

I've also said this before: If you like it, enjoy it. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.

He asked an opinion and I gave it. It has literally nothing to do with you.

The money grab is the licensing fees needed to decode the format which cost the consumer money. It makes no sense to pay a licensing fee for a product that has never been proven to have any proven benefit. They are trying to muscle they way into as many devices as they can costing the consumer money with no provable benefit.

There are literally zero blind studies that suggest high resolution audio has any perceived benefits over cd audio.

I can care less if you like my opinion but you need to get off your high horse because other people are more than allowed to have them.

post #17856 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Maybe take your own advice.

post #17857 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe take your own advice.

Wow. I don't know what I've done to you to earn such hostility. Meet up sometime, beer or coffee is on my dime.
SouthernCA likes this.

post #17858 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Wow. I don't know what I've done to you to earn such hostility. Meet up sometime, beer or coffee is on my dime.

What are you talking about? You are the hostile one. I have posted my opinion and have made references to expert when I have given it yet you are the one quoting me and challenging me.

post #17859 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The consensus is that....there is NO consensus of opinion. To many, MQA is a hoax, a lossy money-grabbing format. To many others (like me), it's effective in presenting a more coherent and clear soundstage. It is said by advocates that the "loss", if any, is well-below the noise floor of a recording and no one can hear...nothing. Others say they hear something going on even though it's at -110dB.

My suggestion is to try it and trust your own ears. If you have a full-unfold of the MQA files with a certified DAC (such as those in all Bluesound gear) and a Tidal HiFi subscription, it's easy to find the same recording on both their "Masters" (MQA) and their "CD" quality streams and toggle between them to compare. I have done this (a couple years ago) and preferred MQA on some, couldn't tell a difference on others, but none sounded worse on MQA.

Quote:
Licensing money grab.

Firstly, I apologize as I did not mean to stir anything up with that question. I definitely value both sides opinions.

I would definitely like to test it out for myself but as noted it would require some extra hardware. I'm not going to hold my breath that Denon/Marantz will ever support it, at least anytime soon. I saw a post where someone received a generic support response with them stating they "don't support it yet."

The DragonFly would be the cheapest point of entry but Node 2i would be the most convenient. Looked at the M10 but felt it was a bit overkill considering my usage.

post #17860 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

KEF Owners Thread

Quote:
Firstly, I apologize as I did not mean to stir anything up with that question. I definitely value both sides opinions.

I would definitely like to test it out for myself but as noted it would require some extra hardware. I'm not going to hold my breath that Denon/Marantz will ever support it, at least anytime soon. I saw a post where someone received a generic support response with them stating they "don't support it yet."

The DragonFly would be the cheapest point of entry but Node 2i would be the most convenient. Looked at the M10 but felt it was a bit overkill considering my usage.

Your question is a valid question. There is no need to apologize.

post #17861 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

If your Denon has Tidal you can partial MQA. In your Tidal hi-fi account make sure you enable the masters option in your account. You will then be able to run MQA recordings at 24/44 or 24/48 FLAC (depending on the original recording).

If you want the full MQA you have to get an MQA DAC like you mentioned.

The initial recording is very important. A good 16/41 file can sound better than am MQA file (24/44 or better) but some MQA files sound far better (to me) than other 16/41 files.

I use mconnect upnp app on my iphone. As you can see it shows the MQA original bit/res and the partial MQA playback of 24/44 or 24/48.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beck.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	2578188   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lana.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	2578190  

KEF R3 L/R | Dual Rythmik F12SE | 2.2 | Yamaha RX-A2080

Last edited by Matthew Pool; 06-09-2019 at 08:01 PM.
post #17862 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

Very sensible and even handed review. Thank you.
KenM10759 likes this.
post #17863 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

No need to apologize for anything. I never had an "ignore list" but do now.

I'm lucky in that I have a good local dealer who lets me take home just about anything in their shop for a home demo, including stuff they know I couldn't buy.

If you have that, great. Get a DAC/pre-amp that can do it and try it. If not, perhaps there's a return option with Amazon or a dealer so you could test a Bluesound Node 2i? Failing that, there may still be a few of the original Node N100 refurbished units (cannot be told from new, unused!) available for $199. Those are a little larger form factor than the Node 2 or 2i, and lack a few features of the newer ones, but do a full unfold of MQA.

https://www.bluesound.com/outlet/

If you're in Canada, sorry but I don't know what options you have there. My understanding is that there are more dealers in the populated areas.

post #17864 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I currently use a Yamaha AVR (RX-V800) with 100wpc as a preamp and use a Parasound 75wpc high current power amp for the front two speakers (LS50).

I have just bought Denon AVR-X3500h and am wondering if I should continue using Parasound power amp for the LS50s.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
post #17865 of 19039 Old 06-09-2019, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
I currently use a Yamaha AVR (RX-V800) with 100wpc as a preamp and use a Parasound 75wpc high current power amp for the front two speakers (LS50).

I have just bought Denon AVR-X3500h and am wondering if I should continue using Parasound power amp for the LS50s.

Just 2 channel? If so, I would try it both ways. The Denon may do well supplying only 2 channels. If multichannel, it may be helpful to help unload the power supply with the Parasound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
post #17866 of 19039 Old 06-10-2019, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would determine why I am asking the question. If you are asking because you just want some general conversation, then this is a good place to ask. If you are asking to determine if MQA makes any audible difference, than you will not get that answer here. The only answer you will get here will be random opinions.

If you want to know if it makes an audible difference, then I would start with the wiki page for MQA.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mast..._Authenticated

You will see that is a lossy compression. Once compressed the lost information is gone forever never to return. MQA then recreates the lost information, which likely creates artifacts since the information is lost and interpolation is used to attempt to recreate it. You will see quite quickly there is strong dissent for MQA.

The next question I would ask is, why would I employ a lossy compression is there are many lossless compressions containers for music? I would then look to see why 16 bit 44khz was chosen for CD recordings. Keep in mind a significant amount of research by scientist and engineers went into this decision.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/44,100_Hz

Spoiler alert, cd resolution is twice the resolution of human hearing. So the I would ask myself, why would I need a resolution four times or more what humans can hear (high rez) and then have it compressed lossy and then have lost information recreated, which is going to have artifacts, when I can have lossless compression that reproduce the original signal and does not have licensing fees for a resolution that already exceeds human hearing (cd quality)?

The next step would be to see if there is any proof that there is a difference in how humans hear high rez or cd quality music. To do this you must employ double blind tests. The following Ted talk on how the body perceives pain is a good resource to understand why a test must be double blind, that is the subject must not be able to see the source or know which source is playing.

It goes into the fact that there are no pain receptors in the body, just nerves and the brain uses surrounding and historical information to determine if it should be pain and how much.

Another good video that shows the influence the brain has on hearing is the following:

Those should make it clear that you have to be double blind when performing A B tests for hearing. Hearing memory is also very short. I have not seen any studies that suggest anything but random when A B tests are done. If you do decide to look, be very cautious of websites unless they are by a science or engineering group.

To further illustrate how bad people’s assumptions are with hearing, a study was done on the top violin players to determine if there was a preference for new made violins or the Strats made many years ago. The consensus was that the old Strats are better so a blind test was done to see if that held true. Keep in mind these are arguably the top in their field for hearing detail. That study came be mostly random with a very slight preference for the new made violins.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...-just-a-violin

If I were making this decision I would trust the engineers and scientist before I ever trust some random person on the internet. I would also be extremely cautious of any who begs the question “have you heard both formats” as their only argument if you are looking for a real technical answer.

A short side story, I refinished a 1977 Boston whaler to include stripping and regel coating. I did a ton of research prior in a popular whaler forum to determine my path forward. What I discovered was at least 90% of the information was incorrect. I periodically visit that forum since I sold my whaler and that same misinformation is now being quoted by new people who clearly have never done the work before. Unfortunately, when it comes to real information, it appears to be at least as bad here. For a forum that the “S” in “avs” stands for science, there is nearly none here and anytime someone tries to bring some there is an immediate reaction to try to kill it with the “I say so with no resources and the engineers and scientist are wrong” argument. I prefer science and this gets me on the ignore list of some but it is the ignorance of them that pushes so much misinformation.

Either way you want to ask your question is fine, but it will determine if you should use this as a resource or actually do the legwork yourself.

post #17867 of 19039 Old 06-10-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3415 Post(s)
Liked: 2884
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post

I went from a Denon 710 to an X3400H and it made a noticeable difference. I don't know if it's because of audyssey XT32 or better components or maybe a little of both. The X3400/3500 does have high current power transistors, but not sure how they compare to dedicated power amp. You can try with the X3500 for a few days, then add the amp to compare. Let your ears decide what sounds best.
KenM10759 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #17868 of 19039 Old 06-10-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Licensing money grab.

When you make blunt statements like this ^^^ without a reasonable explanation, you will get some push back and people questioning it. You've been getting very defensive and hostile lately. Take a deep breath as we all share a passion for this hobby. We may not always agree on certain things, but we are all here to learn and share knowledge. There's no need for insults and hostility.
SouthernCA likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #17869 of 19039 Old 06-10-2019, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
When you make blunt statements like this ^^^ without a reasonable explanation, you will get some push back and people questioning it. You've been getting very defensive and hostile lately. Take a deep breath as we all share a passion for this hobby. We may not always agree on certain things, but we are all here to learn and share knowledge. There's no need for insults and hostility.

Hold on now. My statement was a direct response of my opinion to the person who posed the question. It had absolutely nothing to do with Ken. The fact that he took it as a personal slight shows a tremendous amount of arrogance on his part.

He was the one that attacked me.

post #17870 of 19039 Old 06-10-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hold on now. My statement was a direct response of my opinion to the person who posed the question. It had absolutely nothing to do with Ken. The fact that he took it as a personal slight shows a tremendous amount of arrogance on his part.

He was the one that attacked me.

In reading the post it hardly sounds like a personal attack. Asking for clarification seems reasonable don't you agree?

post #17871 of 19039 Old 06-10-2019, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
In reading the post it hardly sounds like a personal attack. Asking for clarification seems reasonable don't you agree?

The way he ended the statement was a clear attack.

post #17872 of 19039 Old 06-12-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, it looks like richersounds in the UK do a 6-year warranty for 10% of the cost of the LS50w, but it includes the electronics inside as well and not just the speaker.

No brainer really, cemented my decision to grab some and try them out against my passives.

Also, modenacart, you really gotta calm down. Your problem is you are far too direct and aggressive in how you deal with people; there is something called 'tact' and you utterly lack it. Just craps all over the atmosphere of this thread. It doesn't matter what Ken has done, because to everyone reading the thread you are the one making a huge scene and throwing tables around with your blunt usage of language.

Last edited by Tephnos; 06-12-2019 at 09:14 AM.
post #17873 of 19039 Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tephnos View Post
So, it looks like richersounds in the UK do a 6-year warranty for 10% of the cost of the LS50w, but it includes the electronics inside as well and not just the speaker.

No brainer really, cemented my decision to grab some and try them out against my passives.

Also, modenacart, you really gotta calm down. Your problem is you are far too direct and aggressive in how you deal with people; there is something called 'tact' and you utterly lack it. Just craps all over the atmosphere of this thread. It doesn't matter what Ken has done, because to everyone reading the thread you are the one making a huge scene and throwing tables around with your blunt usage of language.
10 percent for 6 year warranty. Yes no brainer, though I don't know the company richersound and how reliable they might be. Let's us know your impression about ls50w compared to ls50.

And about Modencart. I agree that your posts are a bit blunt and aggressive. But I do know we all have days when we are frustrated with life and it comes out in all our interactions. So let's just move forward and chalk it up to a bad day.
post #17874 of 19039 Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tephnos View Post

A 6 year warranty for 10% seems reasonable to me. Be sure to read the fine print to avoid any potential conflict if an issue were to arise.

post #17875 of 19039 Old 06-12-2019, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I personally love it, I bought the NAD C658 which has the full MQA and I pretty much exclusively listen to Tidal Masters it just sounds better and there is more content dropping all the time. I have listened to a lot of older recordings which I have owned on LP, CD, 8 track, and cassette, listening in MQA is like hearing them for the first time. I hear something in a recording I never heard before on a daily basis, this is the best stereo I have ever owned so I am sure that is a contributing factor but MQA sounds fantastic. I have noticed that many of the British artist stuff is dramatically better, I really do not think most of that stuff was the original masters over the years. Now if they would just get the Pink Floyd stuff in MQA...... KEF R700's to stay on topic
KenM10759 likes this.

Music System, NAD C658, Arcam P1 Monoblocks, KEF R700 Speakers, Wireworld Cables
Movie Room, LG OLED65C9, Panasonic UB820, Marantz 8802A, Krell S-1500 7 Channel, Carver A 705X amp, M&K MX 350 Sub, M&K S150's front, 4 M&K S85's for surrounds, sound treatments
post #17876 of 19039 Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Richersound is a fairly reputable 'big brand' chain of audio stores in the UK. I've looked into the fine print and directly asked them, and should the electronics fail in the LS50w they'll loan me a spare unit and replace/fix the broken one.

If not, can easily kick up a stink on social media and get something done as their top level staff seem to browse popular forums as well.

Will let you know my impressions for sure.
post #17877 of 19039 Old 06-12-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pool View Post
If your Denon has Tidal you can partial MQA. In your Tidal hi-fi account make sure you enable the masters option in your account. You will then be able to run MQA recordings at 24/44 or 24/48 FLAC (depending on the original recording).

If you want the full MQA you have to get an MQA DAC like you mentioned.

The initial recording is very important. A good 16/41 file can sound better than am MQA file (24/44 or better) but some MQA files sound far better (to me) than other 16/41 files.

I use mconnect upnp app on my iphone. As you can see it shows the MQA original bit/res and the partial MQA playback of 24/44 or 24/48.
I currently play through the Denon directly and it has given me the highest quality this far. From everything I've read while Denon does support Tidal it does not support MQA and thus you are getting a traditional FLAC file. Which does to me at least sound better than when I use Google Play Music or even Tidal through my Chromecast connected to my AVR. So that is what has me interested in the format.

post #17878 of 19039 Old 06-12-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
No need to apologize for anything. I never had an "ignore list" but do now.

I'm lucky in that I have a good local dealer who lets me take home just about anything in their shop for a home demo, including stuff they know I couldn't buy.

If you have that, great. Get a DAC/pre-amp that can do it and try it. If not, perhaps there's a return option with Amazon or a dealer so you could test a Bluesound Node 2i? Failing that, there may still be a few of the original Node N100 refurbished units (cannot be told from new, unused!) available for $199. Those are a little larger form factor than the Node 2 or 2i, and lack a few features of the newer ones, but do a full unfold of MQA.

https://www.bluesound.com/outlet/

If you're in Canada, sorry but I don't know what options you have there. My understanding is that there are more dealers in the populated areas.
I am in the US. Not sure about any dealers where I live but I can get a Node 2(i) through Amazon.

If I read everything correctly for these devices. You can only completely unfold MQA by using the RCA connections and if you use the coax it will only unfold once and rely on the DAC in your equipment to do the last unfold.

post #17879 of 19039 Old 06-12-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I would determine why I am asking the question. If you are asking because you just want some general conversation, then this is a good place to ask. If you are asking to determine if MQA makes any audible difference, than you will not get that answer here. The only answer you will get here will be random opinions.

If you want to know if it makes an audible difference, then I would start with the wiki page for MQA.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mast..._Authenticated

You will see that is a lossy compression. Once compressed the lost information is gone forever never to return. MQA then recreates the lost information, which likely creates artifacts since the information is lost and interpolation is used to attempt to recreate it. You will see quite quickly there is strong dissent for MQA.

The next question I would ask is, why would I employ a lossy compression is there are many lossless compressions containers for music? I would then look to see why 16 bit 44khz was chosen for CD recordings. Keep in mind a significant amount of research by scientist and engineers went into this decision.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/44,100_Hz

Spoiler alert, cd resolution is twice the resolution of human hearing. So the I would ask myself, why would I need a resolution four times or more what humans can hear (high rez) and then have it compressed lossy and then have lost information recreated, which is going to have artifacts, when I can have lossless compression that reproduce the original signal and does not have licensing fees for a resolution that already exceeds human hearing (cd quality)?

The next step would be to see if there is any proof that there is a difference in how humans hear high rez or cd quality music. To do this you must employ double blind tests. The following Ted talk on how the body perceives pain is a good resource to understand why a test must be double blind, that is the subject must not be able to see the source or know which source is playing.

https://youtu.be/gwd-wLdIHjs

It goes into the fact that there are no pain receptors in the body, just nerves and the brain uses surrounding and historical information to determine if it should be pain and how much.

Another good video that shows the influence the brain has on hearing is the following:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

Those should make it clear that you have to be double blind when performing A B tests for hearing. Hearing memory is also very short. I have not seen any studies that suggest anything but random when A B tests are done. If you do decide to look, be very cautious of websites unless they are by a science or engineering group.

To further illustrate how bad people’s assumptions are with hearing, a study was done on the top violin players to determine if there was a preference for new made violins or the Strats made many years ago. The consensus was that the old Strats are better so a blind test was done to see if that held true. Keep in mind these are arguably the top in their field for hearing detail. That study came be mostly random with a very slight preference for the new made violins.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2...-just-a-violin

If I were making this decision I would trust the engineers and scientist before I ever trust some random person on the internet. I would also be extremely cautious of any who begs the question “have you heard both formats” as their only argument if you are looking for a real technical answer.

A short side story, I refinished a 1977 Boston whaler to include stripping and regel coating. I did a ton of research prior in a popular whaler forum to determine my path forward. What I discovered was at least 90% of the information was incorrect. I periodically visit that forum since I sold my whaler and that same misinformation is now being quoted by new people who clearly have never done the work before. Unfortunately, when it comes to real information, it appears to be at least as bad here. For a forum that the “S” in “avs” stands for science, there is nearly none here and anytime someone tries to bring some there is an immediate reaction to try to kill it with the “I say so with no resources and the engineers and scientist are wrong” argument. I prefer science and this gets me on the ignore list of some but it is the ignorance of them that pushes so much misinformation.

Either way you want to ask your question is fine, but it will determine if you should use this as a resource or actually do the legwork yourself.

I was mostly making conversation curious to see what the various users opinions are. You definitely presented a lot of information which I'll have to take some time to read through. I appreciate your input. It's one of those things I feel I'll have to try it to see for myself.

post #17880 of 19039 Old 06-12-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroman View Post
I personally love it, I bought the NAD C658 which has the full MQA and I pretty much exclusively listen to Tidal Masters it just sounds better and there is more content dropping all the time. I have listened to a lot of older recordings which I have owned on LP, CD, 8 track, and cassette, listening in MQA is like hearing them for the first time. I hear something in a recording I never heard before on a daily basis, this is the best stereo I have ever owned so I am sure that is a contributing factor but MQA sounds fantastic. I have noticed that many of the British artist stuff is dramatically better, I really do not think most of that stuff was the original masters over the years. Now if they would just get the Pink Floyd stuff in MQA...... KEF R700's to stay on topic
Thanks for the input as well. I did come across the C658 when looking at various MQA Streamers. Is there any benefit to using this device from say a Node 2i. Ultimately I will only be using it for Tidal and whatever device I get will ultimately go into my AVR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page