KEF Owners Thread - Page 603 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5787Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18061 of 18840 Old 06-29-2019, 03:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,704
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Well, ls50 at 999 Canadian dollars is cheaper than what I have seen in the US. Am I mistaken?
KEF USA has often had the LS50's on sale for under $1000 a pair. The main reason they haven't done it lately is that they don't want to undercut the LSX. It'll happen again though, I'm confident.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18062 of 18840 Old 06-29-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,233
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2831 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus32 View Post
What the heck...[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/IMG] Just listened to REDEFINED Acapella by Imagine Dragons... and my R700s started to produce some kind of a clicking noise at -13dB and up at the part when the kick drum was added to the voices... I disconnected subs to isolate the clicking sound, and sure enough, those static-sparks-like clicks were coming from R700s... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG] Was it what people usually refer to as clipping?

Does it mean my Yamaha AVENTAGE A2070 had finally showed me its limits or it was the limit of my speakers? Would a real amp cure those clicks?

Here is the link to the music piece:
For Pandora and Spotify on my Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, I find somewhere between -55dB and -47.5dB is equivalent to my video streaming and Blu-ray movie and TV show listening levels from -40dB to -25dB. So, if using these music apps on the AVR or my smart TV or even via Bluetooth from my phone, the MV must be much lower with music than video to get same comfortable listening levels.

Sound and Vision tested this AVR's amp section and it can supply a bit more than 140WPC stereo and slightly over 100WPC with 5 channels at once. In 8ohms, full bandwidth, minimal distortion.

Not sure about music listening levels on YouTube, though. However, -13dB on my Yamaha with Pandora or Spotify would destroy my sub, ears, and speakers.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #18063 of 18840 Old 06-29-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 16,579
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelund View Post
I Will get my new kef R600 monday , do i need the spikes when i have a Wood Floor

Best regards Daniel.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0NUYLHI2J&th=1

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18064 of 18840 Old 06-29-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,704
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
Why would he need something like that if the speakers come right from KEF with nice quality rubber-bottomed isolation pads that nest the spikes?

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #18065 of 18840 Old 06-29-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Why would he need something like that if the speakers come right from KEF with nice quality rubber-bottomed isolation pads that nest the spikes?
These are , I think, for between speaker and the stand.
SouthernCA is offline  
post #18066 of 18840 Old 06-29-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
sivadselim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 16,579
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Why would he need something like that if the speakers come right from KEF with nice quality rubber-bottomed isolation pads that nest the spikes?
/shrugs

Yeah, I don't know.



He had initially said R600 (which comfuzed us all).

I DO find spikes and cones/cups to be kind of a PITA.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
sivadselim is offline  
post #18067 of 18840 Old 06-29-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
KEF USA has often had the LS50's on sale for under $1000 a pair. The main reason they haven't done it lately is that they don't want to undercut the LSX. It'll happen again though, I'm confident.
The Canadian price is USD 760 plus tax for a pair of ls50. I have never seen it that low.
KenM10759 likes this.
SouthernCA is offline  
post #18068 of 18840 Old 06-29-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,704
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
He did correct himself and said they are R500's coming. Mine are quite stable in the pads that are included with the speakers.

Here's a clearer shot of the right hand side one in my setup. I have a little more control over the image using my Nikon DSLR, though it's rare I have time to drag it out and I still have to down-size the photos.

The trick to setting the spikes in these and getting the speaker perfectly level is to first plant the front two and just one in the rear. Easier with two people but keeping it on just three, you level left-right with the front two, then level front-to-back using just the rear one. Once there, bring the 4th one down to just touch. Done.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spike_Pads-3.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	2585628  

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #18069 of 18840 Old 06-29-2019, 10:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
For Pandora and Spotify on my Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, I find somewhere between -55dB and -47.5dB is equivalent to my video streaming and Blu-ray movie and TV show listening levels from -40dB to -25dB. So, if using these music apps on the AVR or my smart TV or even via Bluetooth from my phone, the MV must be much lower with music than video to get same comfortable listening levels.

Sound and Vision tested this AVR's amp section and it can supply a bit more than 140WPC stereo and slightly over 100WPC with 5 channels at once. In 8ohms, full bandwidth, minimal distortion.

Not sure about music listening levels on YouTube, though. However, -13dB on my Yamaha with Pandora or Spotify would destroy my sub, ears, and speakers.
I figured out what was wrong... My mains were set up as large, so simply R700s could not handle the bass of the music piece at that level. Once switched to small, the clicking went away. At MLP, when Yamaha displayed -15dB, I measured only 90dB. Can't say I listen at this volume frequently, but do want to go even higher for certain song or a music piece.
KenM10759 likes this.

1. Samsung UN55MU7000, Yamaha A2070, KEF R700, R200c, 2x Kube 10b
2. Panasonic 50" (plasma), Yamaha A550, KEF R300s, Q100s, Kube 12b.
Jus32 is offline  
post #18070 of 18840 Old 06-29-2019, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
He did correct himself and said they are R500's coming. Mine are quite stable in the pads that are included with the speakers.



Here's a clearer shot of the right hand side one in my setup. I have a little more control over the image using my Nikon DSLR, though it's rare I have time to drag it out and I still have to down-size the photos.



The trick to setting the spikes in these and getting the speaker perfectly level is to first plant the front two and just one in the rear. Easier with two people but keeping it on just three, you level left-right with the front two, then level front-to-back using just the rear one. Once there, bring the 4th one down to just touch. Done.



Beautiful speaker and beautiful hardwood floor.

What did you do to tame the reflections from the floor.

I was at my brother's place. He had just installed hardwood floor all over the house. He has a big family room (30 ft by 20 ft) with 17 ft. Cathedral ceiling and glass windows. The whole place is a big echo chamber. Very hard to listen to TV and understand dialogs.

I have been thinking about the most cost effective way to make it a TV watchable place.
SouthernCA is offline  
post #18071 of 18840 Old 06-30-2019, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,704
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Beautiful speaker and beautiful hardwood floor.

What did you do to tame the reflections from the floor.

I was at my brother's place. He had just installed hardwood floor all over the house. He has a big family room (30 ft by 20 ft) with 17 ft. Cathedral ceiling and glass windows. The whole place is a big echo chamber. Very hard to listen to TV and understand dialogs.

I have been thinking about the most cost effective way to make it a TV watchable place.
Thank you, it's all new hickory 1/2" x 3-1/2" engineered flooring.

I knew first-reflection would be a huge issue going from crappy, ugly wall-to-wall carpeting, so I had a plan in place. Area rugs.

The 5'3" x 7'4" area rug was a little over $100 from The Home Depot (I spotted it while in there for something else.) I found it moved and didn't work quite as well as I hoped, so I found custom-sized pads on-line and ordered up a 3/8" thick one. Perfect! Now the area rug stays put and kills that first-reflection echo very effectively. Kind of sucks that my room sounded best with crappy carpeting and suspended ceilings, and now not quite as acoustically good but WAY higher on the WAF scale.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speakers_with_rug.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	2585828  
jima4a likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #18072 of 18840 Old 06-30-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked: 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
The Canadian price is USD 760 plus tax for a pair of ls50. I have never seen it that low.
You don't get choice of color, but definitely a steal at that price! Even in CDN dollars.
KenM10759 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #18073 of 18840 Old 06-30-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,704
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
You don't get choice of color, but definitely a steal at that price! Even in CDN dollars.
Very true.

So when you get yours, do you plan to expand to a 7.1 system or use the extra pair of Q100's in another system?

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #18074 of 18840 Old 06-30-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked: 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Very true.

So when you get yours, do you plan to expand to a 7.1 system or use the extra pair of Q100's in another system?
I'm currently running JBL Loft 50's in the bedroom which aren't bad by any means, but don't come close to Q100's on detail and clarity. I may move the Q100's into the bedroom, but then again the system in there doesn't get that much abuse. Most of the time it's some light TV viewing before bed. I'm leaning toward using them as height channels in a 5.1.2, configuration. Just wondering if all the effort of finding the appropriate mounts and everything else involved will be worth it for what they add. Room config wouldn't allow a 7.1 setup.

Thoughs?

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

Last edited by pase22; 06-30-2019 at 07:42 AM.
pase22 is offline  
post #18075 of 18840 Old 06-30-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,233
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2831 Post(s)
Liked: 1019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus32 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post
For Pandora and Spotify on my Yamaha RX-A2070 AVR, I find somewhere between -55dB and -47.5dB is equivalent to my video streaming and Blu-ray movie and TV show listening levels from -40dB to -25dB. So, if using these music apps on the AVR or my smart TV or even via Bluetooth from my phone, the MV must be much lower with music than video to get same comfortable listening levels.

Sound and Vision tested this AVR's amp section and it can supply a bit more than 140WPC stereo and slightly over 100WPC with 5 channels at once. In 8ohms, full bandwidth, minimal distortion.

Not sure about music listening levels on YouTube, though. However, -13dB on my Yamaha with Pandora or Spotify would destroy my sub, ears, and speakers.
I figured out what was wrong... My mains were set up as large, so simply R700s could not handle the bass of the music piece at that level. Once switched to small, the clicking went away. At MLP, when Yamaha displayed -15dB, I measured only 90dB. Can't say I listen at this volume frequently, but do want to go even higher for certain song or a music piece.
Sounds like the woofers were bottoming out. Seems like the volume for music on YouTube is more like video than the music apps on the AVR or my smart TV.

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
PlasmaPZ80U is online now  
post #18076 of 18840 Old 06-30-2019, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
noobtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Something tells me there's an updated LS50 on the horizon.
Fingers crossed! Maybe I should wait a bit on my LS50 upgrade.

I think the fact there's no Kef R1 as part of the R series is an indicator of this as well.

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
noobtv is online now  
post #18077 of 18840 Old 07-01-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,704
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobtv View Post
Fingers crossed! Maybe I should wait a bit on my LS50 upgrade.

I think the fact there's no Kef R1 as part of the R series is an indicator of this as well.
Entirely possible, but they're VERY tight-lipped if it is happening.

That said, I would think if they replaced the LS50 (passive) with something it would NOT be part of the current R series nor look like them. The LS50 was introduced as a standalone high-performance "flagship" speaker set meant primarily for 2 channel stereo playback. It is still listed on the website as such.

If there is a new product like that coming, I half-expect it to be a new category product altogether (for them), such as an active speaker pair with substantial cabinet volume to give a fuller response range. If a new passive speaker is in the works, I would expect it to be very tough to place in the line as an equivalent to LS50 that is substantially better while remaining near that (original) $1500/pr price range.
noobtv likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #18078 of 18840 Old 07-01-2019, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked: 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Entirely possible, but they're VERY tight-lipped if it is happening.

That said, I would think if they replaced the LS50 (passive) with something it would NOT be part of the current R series nor look like them. The LS50 was introduced as a standalone high-performance "flagship" speaker set meant primarily for 2 channel stereo playback. It is still listed on the website as such.

If there is a new product like that coming, I half-expect it to be a new category product altogether (for them), such as an active speaker pair with substantial cabinet volume to give a fuller response range. If a new passive speaker is in the works, I would expect it to be very tough to place in the line as an equivalent to LS50 that is substantially better while remaining near that (original) $1500/pr price range.
The LS50 is advertised as a "Flagship" speaker on their website. It's very well reviewed and sells quite well as a studio monitor so I don't see it being grouped with any other series in the future. The Q & R series received updates to remain competitive with B&W and company, however no other brand has anything comparable to the LS50. I just find it strange that they're constantly on sale and often at a steep discount, here in Canada at least. Then again the updated Qseries has been on sale since it launched.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.

Last edited by pase22; 07-01-2019 at 06:16 AM.
pase22 is offline  
post #18079 of 18840 Old 07-01-2019, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montecito, CA
Posts: 1,629
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I assume most or at least many of you have seen the video clip in which LS50s are played side-by-side with Blades. That should tell you something about expectations for the LS50s. They're one hell of a speaker at any price.
pase22 likes this.
dbphd is offline  
post #18080 of 18840 Old 07-01-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked: 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbphd View Post
I assume most or at least many of you have seen the video clip in which LS50s are played side-by-side with Blades. That should tell you something about expectations for the LS50s. They're one hell of a speaker at any price.
Well.....Both sound like Q100's. Yes they do sound quite similar as far as I can tell.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #18081 of 18840 Old 07-02-2019, 04:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked: 2802
The LS50's finally came in this morning. Ran audyssey and playing low volume music to break them in. Listened to a few tracks and like what I'm hearing, but need minor tweeking. I'll give them a few more days before posting my impressions.

Don't mind the mess on floor. Cats knocked everthing off the table to get to the empty box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ls50-1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	2586902   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS50-2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	2586904   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS50-3.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	2586906   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS50-4.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	2586908  

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #18082 of 18840 Old 07-02-2019, 05:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,704
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The LS50's finally came in this morning. Ran audyssey and playing low volume music to break them in. Listened to a few tracks and like what I'm hearing, but need minor tweeking. I'll give them a few more days before posting my impressions.

Don't mind the mess on floor. Cats knocked everthing off the table to get to the empty box.
Heavy little boxes, aren't they?

No need to baby them for break-in, mid to loud works better because at low volume you're not exercising the full range of the midrange cone.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #18083 of 18840 Old 07-02-2019, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked: 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
Heavy little boxes, aren't they?

No need to baby them for break-in, mid to loud works better because at low volume you're not exercising the full range of the midrange cone.
After some tweeking which really didn't require much as they're setup pretty much the same as the Q100's were. The 100's were dialed in real nice so tried the same or close to for the LS50's which so far seems good. I've been playing some tracks at mid-volume AKA: the sweet spot and really liking them. I don't really listen to Jazz or classical so didn't even bother. Tool & Pink Floyd are my favourite for breaking in speakers (and in general) since I know their songs quite well. Started with Tool as they do have a lot of detail and subtle sounds in their songs. Jambi (10000 days CD) , was the opener an oh man did that sound nice. Was able to pick up the small details very clearly and everything sounds more balanced. The drums and symbols are very crisp with no overhang. Next I played Reflection (Lateralus CD) And again very crisp drumming, guitar sounded clear and not too forward as it can be on the Q100's. Haven't got to Pink Floyd yet. I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon when I can turn it up a little. My experience so far....definately a step up from the Q100's which are quite good. I know it can get better with some more burn in and good amp which scares me. I've been looking at Emotiva A-150/300, but not much user info on the net.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #18084 of 18840 Old 07-02-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The LS50's finally came in this morning. Ran audyssey and playing low volume music to break them in. Listened to a few tracks and like what I'm hearing, but need minor tweeking. I'll give them a few more days before posting my impressions.



Don't mind the mess on floor. Cats knocked everthing off the table to get to the empty box.
Is there a reason why you put those ls50s that high?

Usually for music they will sound the best at the ear level and about 1 to 2 ft away from front wall. And for HT, most sound will come from the center channel and ls50 positioning does not matter.

Just trying to learn why?
SouthernCA is offline  
post #18085 of 18840 Old 07-02-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,250
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked: 2802
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Is there a reason why you put those ls50s that high?

Usually for music they will sound the best at the ear level and about 1 to 2 ft away from front wall. And for HT, most sound will come from the center channel and ls50 positioning does not matter.

Just trying to learn why?
I originally had the TV higher, but decided to bring it down to avoid whiplash. The speakers are up a little higher (they were higher, I brought them down) for two reasons. 1) My AV rack. Can't put them in more since one would close to the tv and the other about 20 inches out. and 2) My cats. They don't pay attention to the sub or center, but for some reason like to jump up on these. The mounts are adjustable so getting the drivers to ear level isn't an issue. As for space from the wall, that's as good as it gets. They are crossed over at 90hz so not much of an issue. Still experimenting with toe in.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #18086 of 18840 Old 07-02-2019, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I originally had the TV higher, but decided to bring it down to avoid whiplash. The speakers are up a little higher (they were higher, I brought them down) for two reasons. 1) My AV rack. Can't put them in more since one would close to the tv and the other about 20 inches out. and 2) My cats. They don't pay attention to the sub or center, but for some reason like to jump up on these. The mounts are adjustable so getting the drivers to ear level isn't an issue. As for space from the wall, that's as good as it gets. They are crossed over at 90hz so not much of an issue. Still experimenting with toe in.
Yep. Cat avoidance is an excellent reason.
SouthernCA is offline  
post #18087 of 18840 Old 07-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Senior Member
 
sb01gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quick question about the R600c (and most likely the R200c), since I bought a demo model I just got the speaker no packaging, grille, etc. I was wondering if the center channels came with port plugs when new like the front speakers have? I can order a grille if I ever wanted one straight from KEF but they charge $75 shipped so it's not worth it for now since I keep the grilles off, but if it came with port plugs as well that might be beneficial for my setup.

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3 / Nvidia Shield TV
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / HSU ULS-15 mk2
sb01gt is offline  
post #18088 of 18840 Old 07-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb01gt View Post
Quick question about the R600c (and most likely the R200c), since I bought a demo model I just got the speaker no packaging, grille, etc. I was wondering if the center channels came with port plugs when new like the front speakers have? I can order a grille if I ever wanted one straight from KEF but they charge $75 shipped so it's not worth it for now since I keep the grilles off, but if it came with port plugs as well that might be beneficial for my setup.
Yes, my R200c came new with a port plug.
sb01gt likes this.

1. Samsung UN55MU7000, Yamaha A2070, KEF R700, R200c, 2x Kube 10b
2. Panasonic 50" (plasma), Yamaha A550, KEF R300s, Q100s, Kube 12b.
Jus32 is offline  
post #18089 of 18840 Old 07-02-2019, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jima4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 2,192
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 219
KEF Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
After some tweeking which really didn't require much as they're setup pretty much the same as the Q100's were. The 100's were dialed in real nice so tried the same or close to for the LS50's which so far seems good. I've been playing some tracks at mid-volume AKA: the sweet spot and really liking them. I don't really listen to Jazz or classical so didn't even bother. Tool & Pink Floyd are my favourite for breaking in speakers (and in general) since I know their songs quite well. Started with Tool as they do have a lot of detail and subtle sounds in their songs. Jambi (10000 days CD) , was the opener an oh man did that sound nice. Was able to pick up the small details very clearly and everything sounds more balanced. The drums and symbols are very crisp with no overhang. Next I played Reflection (Lateralus CD) And again very crisp drumming, guitar sounded clear and not too forward as it can be on the Q100's. Haven't got to Pink Floyd yet. I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon when I can turn it up a little. My experience so far....definately a step up from the Q100's which are quite good. I know it can get better with some more burn in and good amp which scares me. I've been looking at Emotiva A-150/300, but not much user info on the net.

I would be cautious about cheap amps. I tried Emotiva’s low end mono-blocks some years ago and found for 2 channel I preferred my AVR without them. For multichannel I did get some improvement but returned them.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.

Last edited by jima4a; 07-02-2019 at 10:21 PM.
jima4a is offline  
post #18090 of 18840 Old 07-02-2019, 10:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
noobtv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 908
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
After some tweeking which really didn't require much as they're setup pretty much the same as the Q100's were. The 100's were dialed in real nice so tried the same or close to for the LS50's which so far seems good. I've been playing some tracks at mid-volume AKA: the sweet spot and really liking them. I don't really listen to Jazz or classical so didn't even bother. Tool & Pink Floyd are my favourite for breaking in speakers (and in general) since I know their songs quite well. Started with Tool as they do have a lot of detail and subtle sounds in their songs. Jambi (10000 days CD) , was the opener an oh man did that sound nice. Was able to pick up the small details very clearly and everything sounds more balanced. The drums and symbols are very crisp with no overhang. Next I played Reflection (Lateralus CD) And again very crisp drumming, guitar sounded clear and not too forward as it can be on the Q100's. Haven't got to Pink Floyd yet. I'll wait until tomorrow afternoon when I can turn it up a little. My experience so far....definately a step up from the Q100's which are quite good. I know it can get better with some more burn in and good amp which scares me. I've been looking at Emotiva A-150/300, but not much user info on the net.
Nice. Tool/Pink Floyd are my favorites too.

Tool should be good for speaker break in because there's sounds all over the spectrum.

Thanks for your thoughts. Let us know after they're broken in as well!

Living Room: Kef Q900/Q600c/Q100, SVS SB2000, Denon AVR-X3500H.
PC Setup: Infinity R152, Sunfire XTEQ8, DIY 3e-Audio TPA3255 amp.
noobtv is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off