KEF Owners Thread - Page 608 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5784Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #18211 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 03:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,702
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3434 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
I know it's all personal preference, but I think these Q series speakers in the new walnut finish with dark drivers look so cool. I like the walnut finish on these better than the R series, and the dark drivers just sets it off with elegance.

This is, to my mind, one of the best-looking speakers in an entry-level line that there is.

https://www.kefdirect.com/speakers/h...s/qseries.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kef-750-floorstanding-loud-speaker-pair-walnut.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	2592426  
glennQNYC and Cordy like this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18212 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 03:37 AM
Member
 
Cordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I know it's all personal preference, but I think these Q series speakers in the new walnut finish with dark drivers look so cool. I like the walnut finish on these better than the R series, and the dark drivers just sets it off with elegance.



This is, to my mind, one of the best-looking speakers in an entry-level line that there is.



https://www.kefdirect.com/speakers/h...s/qseries.html
I do like these as well. I saw them pop up this week and immediately started wondering if I should've waited a little bit longer before I purchased my black set a couple months ago. But with all technology new things are always around the corner.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Cordy is offline  
post #18213 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 04:21 AM
Member
 
ekelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I´m upgrading from a Kef Q200c to a R200c cant wait to it arrive

Kef R500,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-1000, Onkyo TX-NR818,BlueSound Node2 , Sony 65XE90, Xbox One S. ,Apple Tv4K
ekelund is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #18214 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 04:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Matthew Pool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Mind - Midwest, Heart - West Coast
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
I did not see a center channel speaker here. Do you use phantom center? How does that work for dialog clarity?
Yes the R3's and the A2080 provide a really good phantom center for movies. There's also a feature of the A2080 called "dialogue level" that boosts the dialogue some if needed.

I've tried it a few times but it's usually not necessary for my ears... I would get an R2C if I was going to settle down in one place but I'm trying to stay with a minimalist setup until then.

Also there is wicked good "surround sound" even with only the front L/R R3's and the A2080 down mixing and Surround Sound AI. :-)

KEF R3 L/R | Dual Rythmik F12SE | 2.2 | Yamaha RX-A2080
Matthew Pool is offline  
post #18215 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Pool View Post
Yes the R3's and the A2080 provide a really good phantom center for movies. There's also a feature of the A2080 called "dialogue level" that boosts the dialogue some if needed.



I've tried it a few times but it's usually not necessary for my ears... I would get an R2C if I was going to settle down in one place but I'm trying to stay with a minimalist setup until then.



Also there is wicked good "surround sound" even with only the front L/R R3's and the A2080 down mixing and Surround Sound AI. :-)
I also have a phantom center with two LS50s. No space for center channel with big projection screen.

My AVR does not have a dialog enhancer function. So I was thinking of tweaking the Audyssey curve to enhance vocals while in HT mode. I mean put a 3 dB lift to vocal frequencies. Will that be 150 to 600 Hz frequency band?

Will that work? Anyone?

Last edited by SouthernCA; 07-19-2019 at 08:51 AM.
SouthernCA is offline  
post #18216 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,702
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3434 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelund View Post
I´m upgrading from a Kef Q200c to a R200c cant wait to it arrive
What do you plan to do with the Q200c? I know it'll be in big demand because there's a lot of people who bought 2011-2016 Q series speakers on clearance prices but can't find a matching Q200c.
Lp85253 and SouthernCA like this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #18217 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,241
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwesson View Post
Grrr... given the LSX's and how much they are pumping the AirPlay2 for them, I can't help but think the same thing.

How do you like the LS50's paired with the SVS SB2000? I am strongly considering that sub to pair with them, but am debating the newer SB3000 as well.
The LS50's are a noticeable step up from the Q100's which are very good as well. I have the SB-2000 well integrated with the LS50's and it sounds quite nice. If you have the space and budget for an SB-3000, go for it. It's got the remote app which is a wonderful tool to have. If you have the space, go with the PB-3000 which would give you much more output for movies and can be run in sealed mode for musical sessions.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #18218 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,241
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
I also have a phantom center with two LS50s. No space for center channel with big projection screen.

My AVR does not have a dialog enhancer function. So I was thinking of tweaking the Audyssey curve to enhance vocals while in HT mode. I mean put a 3 dB lift to vocal frequencies. Will that be 150 to 600 Hz frequency band?

Will that work? Anyone?
I have switched from music to HT several times and forget I was in stereo. The LS50's do quite well without a center in play.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #18219 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 03:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harddrive2 View Post
I'm in a similar boat, but debating the R3 vs the R5. I have dual HSU VTF15 MK2 subwoofers so the low end is solid. My room is 14'x19' with a false wall and AT screen. I want to buy 3 of R3 or R5 for LCR duty. The KEF white paper shows the R3 rolls off faster in the critical 100Hz to 60Hz region than the R5 (assuming an 80Hz crossover to the subs). My question is whether the better rolloff is worth the delta in price between these models, x3. The R5 is about $400 more than the R3, so is the better integration with the sub worth spending $1200 more? Does the extra driver in the R5 make for more than just a slightly better low end? My mind says go with R3 but my heart is pulling me to the R5 and telling me its always better to go bigger when you have the chance.

Decisions, decisions....

Thanks!
HDD
After lots of demoing trying to decide I ended up going in another direction. The KEF center left me really wanting more and another set of speakers stole my ears and wallet. With other said speaker I ended up in the same debate and went bigger as I like running my front 3 speakers during music while running differently as 7.1 during movies. For me it came down to long term speaker versus me already planning an upgrade and regretting going safe. Currently could not imagine upgrading what I ended up with which makes me happy and lets me enjoy my new speakers to the fullest. Goodluck.
Pike44 is offline  
post #18220 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike44 View Post
After lots of demoing trying to decide I ended up going in another direction. The KEF center left me really wanting more and another set of speakers stole my ears and wallet. With other said speaker I ended up in the same debate and went bigger as I like running my front 3 speakers during music while running differently as 7.1 during movies. For me it came down to long term speaker versus me already planning an upgrade and regretting going safe. Currently could not imagine upgrading what I ended up with which makes me happy and lets me enjoy my new speakers to the fullest. Goodluck.
What do you buy? What drove you to them?
SouthernCA is offline  
post #18221 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,702
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3434 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
What do you buy? What drove you to them?
As far as I can tell, he went with B&W 702S2 but perhaps went upscale with an 800 series center. That's sort of like buying R11's and going with a Reference 4c center.

I think KEF has made a BIG mistake in not offering an "R6c" for the R series nor a smaller "Q250c" for the Q series.
Jus32 and Pike44 like this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #18222 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 06:37 PM
Senior Member
 
sb01gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 240
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
As far as I can tell, he went with B&W 702S2 but perhaps went upscale with an 800 series center. That's sort of like buying R11's and going with a Reference 4c center.

I think KEF has made a BIG mistake in not offering an "R6c" for the R series nor a smaller "Q250c" for the Q series.

I agree. When I listened to them in the store I was impressed with the R600c right away when I heard it. I went and listened to the Q650c after and wasn't impressed, thus why I searched high and low across the country to find an R600c. Obviously it would've been nicer had the outside of the cabinet not been damaged in shipping.. but at least it was on the back side where you can't see it while watching TV, and has been terrific sound quality for movie watching. I also can't complain too much for the fact that they only charged me $99 for the speaker because of the shipping issue.
KenM10759 and Jus32 like this.

Panasonic EZ1000 65" OLED / Panasonic DMP UB400 / NAD T758v3 / Nvidia Shield TV
5.1.2 speaker setup - KEF R300 / R600c / Q50a / Focal Chorus SR800V / HSU ULS-15 mk2
sb01gt is offline  
post #18223 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 07:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
What do you buy? What drove you to them?
The other post is correct. Ended up with B&W 702 for the front towers and a HTM1 D3 for the center and a PB4000 sub. I do realize the HTM1 is not equal playing field at all, but it was honestly a comparable HTM71 and 703 towers that got my attention originally compared to the KEF R2C and R11. It was upon research on these forums since I hadn't even considered the B&W that I got advised if I was willing to make the jump to the HTM1 since my main reasoning was for movies. On paper I loved the KEF's for my room and even went to 2 more dealers to demo along with my wife and baby trying to persuade myself. Once I decided on the B&W I demoed the 703 against the 702 and the HTM71 against the HTM2 but blindly went with the HTM1 based on suggestion here. The KEF's were an upgrade from my Energy fronts, but also felt very similar to them as my center always felt lacking. In terms of movie demos, the KEF's were probably more realistic sounding but I felt the dialogue and fun factor of details was lacking. The same applied to music for me where the KEF had a very neutral clean sound but the B&W sound stage and punch (not bright or harsh at all) was what I was looking for over my Energy's. All my demo comparisons pending dealer were KEF R5, R7 and R11 with R2C in comparison to B&W 702, 703 with the HTM71 and HTM2.
Jus32 likes this.
Pike44 is offline  
post #18224 of 18837 Old 07-19-2019, 11:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 7,241
Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3331 Post(s)
Liked: 2796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pike44 View Post
The other post is correct. Ended up with B&W 702 for the front towers and a HTM1 D3 for the center and a PB4000 sub. I do realize the HTM1 is not equal playing field at all, but it was honestly a comparable HTM71 and 703 towers that got my attention originally compared to the KEF R2C and R11. It was upon research on these forums since I hadn't even considered the B&W that I got advised if I was willing to make the jump to the HTM1 since my main reasoning was for movies. On paper I loved the KEF's for my room and even went to 2 more dealers to demo along with my wife and baby trying to persuade myself. Once I decided on the B&W I demoed the 703 against the 702 and the HTM71 against the HTM2 but blindly went with the HTM1 based on suggestion here. The KEF's were an upgrade from my Energy fronts, but also felt very similar to them as my center always felt lacking. In terms of movie demos, the KEF's were probably more realistic sounding but I felt the dialogue and fun factor of details was lacking. The same applied to music for me where the KEF had a very neutral clean sound but the B&W sound stage and punch (not bright or harsh at all) was what I was looking for over my Energy's. All my demo comparisons pending dealer were KEF R5, R7 and R11 with R2C in comparison to B&W 702, 703 with the HTM71 and HTM2.
Congrats on the new setup!
B&W do make some really nice sounding speakers and I'm glad to hear you found your audio nirvana.

Sit back and enjoy!
Jus32 and Pike44 like this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #18225 of 18837 Old 07-20-2019, 07:05 PM
Senior Member
 
ScottSFA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Any opinions on the Ci5160THX in walls?

65" Sony A9F
Arcam SR250
Bowers & Wilkins 702s
REL T7i
ScottSFA is offline  
post #18226 of 18837 Old 07-20-2019, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,702
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3434 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
Any opinions on the Ci5160THX in walls?
I'm of the opinion that the only better in-wall speaker in existence is the Ci5160REF-THX....at $10k a pop.

Seriously, the standard Ci5160RL-THX Ultra 2 really is an incredibly spectacular speaker in every way. You still need a subwoofer or 4, but barely.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #18227 of 18837 Old 07-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Senior Member
 
ScottSFA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 398
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
I'm of the opinion that the only better in-wall speaker in existence is the Ci5160REF-THX....at $10k a pop.



Seriously, the standard Ci5160RL-THX Ultra 2 really is an incredibly spectacular speaker in every way. You still need a subwoofer or 4, but barely.


I'm looking at doing 3 of these behind an AT screen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65" Sony A9F
Arcam SR250
Bowers & Wilkins 702s
REL T7i
ScottSFA is offline  
post #18228 of 18837 Old 07-20-2019, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,702
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3434 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
I'm looking at doing 3 of these behind an AT screen.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's a member here in Australia who did the same, and used Ci3160RL-THX as surrounds with Ci200RR-THX as rears. He also made boxes for 4 more CI200RR-THX for use as Atmos speakers. I don't recall what he did for subs. The Ci3160SUB with KA500 amp is good though, if in-wall needs to be used for that.

Of course I haven't traveled to Australia to hear the system, but it sure looked to be the kind of home theater I could only dream about.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #18229 of 18837 Old 07-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Ken, on your M10, is it true that there's no remote or IR receiver built in? If you want standard remote control you have to plug in one of those bulky IR receivers and use a universal remote?

Was just looking at it as a passing fancy in the distant future (heh) but that would be a major turn off for me.
Tephnos is offline  
post #18230 of 18837 Old 07-21-2019, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,702
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3434 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tephnos View Post
Hey Ken, on your M10, is it true that there's no remote or IR receiver built in? If you want standard remote control you have to plug in one of those bulky IR receivers and use a universal remote?

Was just looking at it as a passing fancy in the distant future (heh) but that would be a major turn off for me.
It does not have an internal IR receiver. Their reasoning is that there isn't much you could do with one.

That said, I have several "remotes" for it. I always have my phone or tablet around, and those being on the same home wireless network have the app that works far better than any remote could including my Harmony Elite.

I also have the app open on my desktop PC most of the time, so that's controlling it too. Of course it also has the touch screen on the front, which in my case I can easily reach from my seat at the computer.

The fact that it has no remote really should not be an issue because like any AVR or good integrated amp, there are so many functions one can control that the graphical user interface of a dedicated app handles it better than any battery-powered stick with myriad buttons. I don't even have to look at the app to control volume, I just use the up-down volume buttons on the phone or tablet.

No remote is not a turn-off for me, it's a desirable FEATURE!

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #18231 of 18837 Old 07-21-2019, 08:18 AM
Member
 
ekelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
What do you plan to do with the Q200c? I know it'll be in big demand because there's a lot of people who bought 2011-2016 Q series speakers on clearance prices but can't find a matching Q200c.
Dont know yet , not so known brand in Denmark

Kef R500,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-1000, Onkyo TX-NR818,BlueSound Node2 , Sony 65XE90, Xbox One S. ,Apple Tv4K
ekelund is offline  
post #18232 of 18837 Old 07-21-2019, 09:24 AM
Member
 
Cordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
How big is the space for listening? My office is 10' deep x 14' wide and I have the LS50's about 7' apart on the long wall. I use a Kube 10b and think it's just about perfect for my application.



I thought about the Wireless too, but really wasn't even in the market when I was at my dealer looking over the used stuff for some "decent desktop speakers." That's when they dug out a pair of the frosted black/blue driver limited edition passive LS50's for a fair price. Done. Over the course of the next 10 months I went from 30 watts (D3020) to 60 watts (Powernode 2) and now with 100 watts (M10.)



I'm done for a few years having taken a lower-paying job for stress reduction, but not ruling out something bigger & better down the road. I didn't want to believe it, but for me better amps and DAC's do seem to get more out of these speakers. Based upon some auditions at my dealer's store it may be true that you don't start to reach the limit of the speakers until you're at this higher level and up.
When I bought my desk a year or so ago I opted not for a dedicated space. So my desk is in the corner of my living room by the divider between it and the kitchen. It's a pretty open space.

That flexibility is why I opted for the current setups despite having a space limitation.

I received everything on Friday and got it all setup and working with my PC as the Source. It's a tight fit but was able to make it work. Will probably get a side table or shelf to free up some space on my desk. Overall I'm very impressed with the sound that the LS50 produces. I've been listening to the playlist KEF put out on Tidal called "KEF Audio System Workout" on them and it has been a joy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
KenM10759 and SouthernCA like this.
Cordy is offline  
post #18233 of 18837 Old 07-21-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tonygeno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: America's (real) hometown
Posts: 6,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Kef R600

If anyone is interested, I have Rosewood R600 for sale in the classifieds.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-a...l#post58322552

Tony

In search of the Holy Grail.
tonygeno is offline  
post #18234 of 18837 Old 07-21-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordy View Post
When I bought my desk a year or so ago I opted not for a dedicated space. So my desk is in the corner of my living room by the divider between it and the kitchen. It's a pretty open space.

That flexibility is why I opted for the current setups despite having a space limitation.

I received everything on Friday and got it all setup and working with my PC as the Source. It's a tight fit but was able to make it work. Will probably get a side table or shelf to free up some space on my desk. Overall I'm very impressed with the sound that the LS50 produces. I've been listening to the playlist KEF put out on Tidal called "KEF Audio System Workout" on them and it has been a joy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I will check out the playlist. If you have time, could you send a link?
SouthernCA is offline  
post #18235 of 18837 Old 07-21-2019, 12:36 PM
Member
 
Cordy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
I will check out the playlist. If you have time, could you send a link?
Sure thing.

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/16...4-2ec729a6e14d

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Cordy is offline  
post #18236 of 18837 Old 07-21-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordy View Post
Sure thing.

https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/16...4-2ec729a6e14d

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Could not get it as I don't have Tidal. But searched in Spotify and found this Gem.

https://open.spotify.com/track/47vFy...QOisO2XD69080w
SouthernCA is offline  
post #18237 of 18837 Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
stash64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Packer country
Posts: 1,690
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelund View Post
Dont know yet , not so known brand in Denmark
I am surprised you went with KEF when there are so many excellent Danish speaker brands (Dali, Dynaudio, Jamo). Though I really enjoy my R7's, the Jamo Concert series towers I had a few years ago are still the best speakers I've owned for music. The R7's are a little better for HT due to clarity and soundstage but the Jamo's were better tonally, especially with acoustic instruments. I've heard Dali's too and I think it is a trait of Danish speakers with soft dome tweeters.

Sean
stash64 is offline  
post #18238 of 18837 Old 07-21-2019, 10:47 PM
Member
 
ekelund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Denmark
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by stash64 View Post
I am surprised you went with KEF when there are so many excellent Danish speaker brands (Dali, Dynaudio, Jamo). Though I really enjoy my R7's, the Jamo Concert series towers I had a few years ago are still the best speakers I've owned for music. The R7's are a little better for HT due to clarity and soundstage but the Jamo's were better tonally, especially with acoustic instruments. I've heard Dali's too and I think it is a trait of Danish speakers with soft dome tweeters.
I have been a big fan of kef for a long time started with my Kef 2005.2 to a 5005.2 and now the KEF R Series.
KenM10759 likes this.

Kef R500,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-1000, Onkyo TX-NR818,BlueSound Node2 , Sony 65XE90, Xbox One S. ,Apple Tv4K
ekelund is offline  
post #18239 of 18837 Old 07-22-2019, 06:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Most people decide based on how loud they would like to hear. In HT mode, most sound comes from a single center speaker. For most people R3 as a center does not provide enough SPL without distortion. So for them the choice is to either move to R2C (or higher) + R3 or R5 for all three..

My two cents.
Good advice. A friend who dabbles in HT design told me some time ago that sound changes a lot in a closed theater room when it is filled with people. Apparently people in chairs absorb more sound than they reflect. I think going to the larger side makes sense so as to not run short of SPL when the room is full. So now i'm very much leaning to 3x R5 for the fronts.

HDD
Harddrive2 is offline  
post #18240 of 18837 Old 07-22-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,400
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harddrive2 View Post



Good advice. A friend who dabbles in HT design told me some time ago that sound changes a lot in a closed theater room when it is filled with people. Apparently people in chairs absorb more sound than they reflect. I think going to the larger side makes sense so as to not run short of SPL when the room is full. So now i'm very much leaning to 3x R5 for the fronts.



HDD
That will work. Just curious: why have you decided not to buy a center speaker like R2C or R600 that is designed to be a center speaker?
SouthernCA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off