KEF Owners Thread - Page 668 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6440Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #20011 of 20704 Old 04-14-2020, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,235
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCA View Post
Yes. While a more expensive amp may make LS50 sound a bit better, I have not been able to find significant difference in sound quality when driven by cheaper or more expensive AVR. (I used Yamaha, Denon and Parasound).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Music felt more "alive" with my NAD amp, but more noticeable in direct mode. My Denon drives the LS50's very well and they sound very nice, but fell like they're missing that extra oomph I got from the NAD. I may consider an Emotiva A-300/500 later on. I think @aarons915 has one and seems to like it.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #20012 of 20704 Old 04-14-2020, 10:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aarons915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Music felt more "alive" with my NAD amp, but more noticeable in direct mode. My Denon drives the LS50's very well and they sound very nice, but fell like they're missing that extra oomph I got from the NAD. I may consider an Emotiva A-300/500 later on. I think @aarons915 has one and seems to like it.
Yeah I've gone from an older Denon to the Emotiva setup and now back to a Denon X3500h, I don't notice any difference between receivers and power amps except the type of EQ and Crossover slopes. I prefer the parametric EQ on the emotiva but I've made the XT32 work pretty well with a few tweaks. I limit the correction to 300Hz and I use the app to dial in a steeper rolloff than the 2nd order high pass the Denon uses, it definitely helps smaller speakers like the LS50. Here's a screenshot that shows an easy way of doing it in the app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200412-163757.png
Views:	98
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	2710266  
SouthernCA likes this.
aarons915 is online now  
post #20013 of 20704 Old 04-18-2020, 03:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Upgrading to Atmos

Hi Everyone,

I am looking at the possibility of going to a 5.1.4 setup. We currently stream most of our content through basic subscriptions of Netflix, Prime, HBO, Disney+, and Hulu. We don't rent movies, and I have only about a dozen Blu-Ray movies. I know that Disney+ has a lot of Atmos content, but will my receiver simulate Atmos from source material kind of like how Pro-Logic IIz used to simulate surround sound?

We don't own the home, and I don't want to hang any speakers, so I need to look at the upward firing capabilities KEF's Atmos options.

My room (drawing below) is 14.5' x 17.5' x 8' with a 4.5' x 6.5' opening near the front left of the room that leads to the kitchen and dining room. The ceiling is smooth. My front speakers are 12" from the wall and 10' from the MLP. They are ever-so-slightly toed-in. My rear speakers are 6' from the MLP, and the center of the speaker is 13" from the rear wall. Each speaker's center is aimed just a tad behind the ear at MLP. The MLP is about 20" from the rear wall.

I would like to spend as little as possible, so I was looking at the Q8s (black matte) all around. However, my front R-700s are black gloss, and I'm not sure the finishes will blend well together. I'm going to put my Q150s on top to see, but they are so much bigger, I'm not sure it would really give me the comparison I need. Is there anyone on this forum who has the black matte Q8s on their black gloss R-series loudspeaker that like how they look good together?

If the above is not an option, I am hesitant to go with the now discounted (when available) R50 because they cannot be wall mounted. Even though the Uni-Qs are the same color, and we don't plan on moving in the next few years, I don't want to make this investment knowing they might notwork in our next place. However, I think it would take vaulted, cathedral, or 10'+ ceilings to make this an issue. Am I correct on this?

Accessories4Less has a pair of Canton Atmos in black gloss for only $499. They are also aluminum (tweeter is aluminum-manganese), so I think they might blend-in more closely with the KEF's aluminum UniQ. However, the Canton is crossed over at 3kHz vs. the Q8's 2.5kHz. It's a beautiful speaker, and it also has wall-mounting capabilities if ever needed.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...specifications

If I were to only get one pair (5.1.2), it seems that the recommended place is for the Atmos speakers to be put up on the fronts. Is there anyone that utilized the rear Atmos channels over the front?

In sum:
  1. Will my receiver simulate Atmos from basic subscriptions of the streaming services I listed above enough to justify the upgrade?
  2. Do my room dimensions and speaker/seating locations along with ARC seem ideal for the upward firing modules?
  3. Will the black matte speaker look good on top of a black gloss speaker?
  4. Should I be concerned about getting the R50 knowing it doesn't have wall/ceiling mounting options?
  5. Would the Canton Chronos be a good sound match for the KEF Q8?
  6. Would it be a good start to just invest right now in front Atmos speakers if I don't feel like spending the extra $499 ($420 on A4L) for the Q8s right now?

I appreciate your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living Room Setup.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	2712136  

Anthem MRX1120, AC Infinity Aircom T8 and S7, Panamax 5300-PM
Speakers (KEF): R700, R200C, SR/SL - Q150
Subs: Rythmik E15HP2 (x2) w/ miniDSP 2x4 HD
TV: LG 65C9AUA(OLED), Devices: Apple TV 4K, StreamSmart Pro, Xbox One, and Xbox 360

pn56Matt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #20014 of 20704 Old 04-19-2020, 05:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Been in the market for a long while on a reasonably priced pair of E301's in black for surrounds. I finally had to grab the full E305 5.1 set. If anyone's interested in the left over speakers, 2 satellites, 1 center and the E-2 sub, I have them listed very fairly online or pm me.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
Turbohippo is offline  
post #20015 of 20704 Old 04-20-2020, 02:41 PM
Member
 
jmbgator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by pn56Matt View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am looking at the possibility of going to a 5.1.4 setup. We currently stream most of our content through basic subscriptions of Netflix, Prime, HBO, Disney+, and Hulu. We don't rent movies, and I have only about a dozen Blu-Ray movies. I know that Disney+ has a lot of Atmos content, but will my receiver simulate Atmos from source material kind of like how Pro-Logic IIz used to simulate surround sound?

We don't own the home, and I don't want to hang any speakers, so I need to look at the upward firing capabilities KEF's Atmos options.

My room (drawing below) is 14.5' x 17.5' x 8' with a 4.5' x 6.5' opening near the front left of the room that leads to the kitchen and dining room. The ceiling is smooth. My front speakers are 12" from the wall and 10' from the MLP. They are ever-so-slightly toed-in. My rear speakers are 6' from the MLP, and the center of the speaker is 13" from the rear wall. Each speaker's center is aimed just a tad behind the ear at MLP. The MLP is about 20" from the rear wall.

I would like to spend as little as possible, so I was looking at the Q8s (black matte) all around. However, my front R-700s are black gloss, and I'm not sure the finishes will blend well together. I'm going to put my Q150s on top to see, but they are so much bigger, I'm not sure it would really give me the comparison I need. Is there anyone on this forum who has the black matte Q8s on their black gloss R-series loudspeaker that like how they look good together?

If the above is not an option, I am hesitant to go with the now discounted (when available) R50 because they cannot be wall mounted. Even though the Uni-Qs are the same color, and we don't plan on moving in the next few years, I don't want to make this investment knowing they might notwork in our next place. However, I think it would take vaulted, cathedral, or 10'+ ceilings to make this an issue. Am I correct on this?

Accessories4Less has a pair of Canton Atmos in black gloss for only $499. They are also aluminum (tweeter is aluminum-manganese), so I think they might blend-in more closely with the KEF's aluminum UniQ. However, the Canton is crossed over at 3kHz vs. the Q8's 2.5kHz. It's a beautiful speaker, and it also has wall-mounting capabilities if ever needed.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...specifications

If I were to only get one pair (5.1.2), it seems that the recommended place is for the Atmos speakers to be put up on the fronts. Is there anyone that utilized the rear Atmos channels over the front?

In sum:
  1. Will my receiver simulate Atmos from basic subscriptions of the streaming services I listed above enough to justify the upgrade?
  2. Do my room dimensions and speaker/seating locations along with ARC seem ideal for the upward firing modules?
  3. Will the black matte speaker look good on top of a black gloss speaker?
  4. Should I be concerned about getting the R50 knowing it doesn't have wall/ceiling mounting options?
  5. Would the Canton Chronos be a good sound match for the KEF Q8?
  6. Would it be a good start to just invest right now in front Atmos speakers if I don't feel like spending the extra $499 ($420 on A4L) for the Q8s right now?

I appreciate your help!
Have you considered the R8A's? Yes they are pricey but the black gloss matches up nicely.

Main Room: 65'' Samsung Q90R; AVR: Denon AVR X-4500H; AMP: Monolith 3-Channel Amp; Center Channel: KEF R2C; L/R Channels: KEF R3; Atmos: KEF R8A; LFE: SVS-PB3000; UHD Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic UB-820; Gaming: PS4 Pro; Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K Secondary Room: 65'' Samsung KS8000; AVR: Denon AVR S-720W; Center Channel: Polk Signature S-35; L/R Channels: Polk Signature S-20; UHD Blu-Ray Player: Sony UBP-X800
jmbgator is offline  
post #20016 of 20704 Old 04-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,

How are the KEF T301, 301C and T101's for rear surrounds? I originally suggested the Q series to my parents; however, they don't want anything on the floor and that they are too big and bulky.

In addition, is it possible to mount the T101's on a wall on an angle, i.e. on a wall and tilt them at an angle to face forwards to the couch as they cannot be mounted on the rear wall.

Thanks,
remsta is offline  
post #20017 of 20704 Old 04-20-2020, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,235
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsta View Post
Hi All,

How are the KEF T301, 301C and T101's for rear surrounds? I originally suggested the Q series to my parents; however, they don't want anything on the floor and that they are too big and bulky.

In addition, is it possible to mount the T101's on a wall on an angle, i.e. on a wall and tilt them at an angle to face forwards to the couch as they cannot be mounted on the rear wall.

Thanks,
The Kef T series was designed for specifically as lifestyle speakers that get hung up on the wall. You would need the right mounts to angle them the way you want them. Kef customer service are a joy to deal with so it may be worth shooting them an e-mail and inquire about the necessary brackets.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #20018 of 20704 Old 04-20-2020, 04:16 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Central Coast, CA
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbgator View Post
Have you considered the R8A's? Yes they are pricey but the black gloss matches up nicely.
The R8A's would be awesome, but they aren't a possibility because of the cost; Even at the A4L recertified price.

I think the black matte of the Q50's will be fine. I placed my Q150 on top of the R700s (felt in-between) and they blended nicely. I also found another pair of Cantons that will work. These are only $399, they are a black matte (they blend with both the R and Q series), and they aren't as tall (5.7" vs. 6.8"). The Q50s seem a little bulkier.

I just want to make sure that 4 of these would be fine given they are not timbre matched with the KEFs. They do use aluminum for their driver and tweeter though.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...ck-pair/1.html


Just an FYI (maybe some already know this), A4L.com has A LOT more products available for certain brands than if you click on the "Brand" link. I went to specific speakers, and they have so many options. KEF has a lot of their new R-Series (factory refurbished) that you won't see if you do a search by "Brand." I've never done this for speakers, because I've never been interested in seeing all results for a specific speaker type.

Anthem MRX1120, AC Infinity Aircom T8 and S7, Panamax 5300-PM
Speakers (KEF): R700, R200C, SR/SL - Q150
Subs: Rythmik E15HP2 (x2) w/ miniDSP 2x4 HD
TV: LG 65C9AUA(OLED), Devices: Apple TV 4K, StreamSmart Pro, Xbox One, and Xbox 360


Last edited by pn56Matt; 04-20-2020 at 04:24 PM.
pn56Matt is offline  
post #20019 of 20704 Old 04-20-2020, 07:09 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
The Kef T series was designed for specifically as lifestyle speakers that get hung up on the wall. You would need the right mounts to angle them the way you want them. Kef customer service are a joy to deal with so it may be worth shooting them an e-mail and inquire about the necessary brackets.
I hope that wasn't sarcastic? They are actually good to deal with?
remsta is offline  
post #20020 of 20704 Old 04-20-2020, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 6,057
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3669 Post(s)
Liked: 2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsta View Post
I hope that wasn't sarcastic? They are actually good to deal with?
No, they're not "good to deal with." In fact, they're GREAT to deal with!

Seriously, KEF Customer Service are the standard that other companies should look to as a model for how to treat your customers.
tr4a likes this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, E.A.T. C-Major TT w/Ortofon Quintet Blue cart. Guest room: Adiosource AMP 1/A, Bluesound Vault 2, KEF iQ 10 pair.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #20021 of 20704 Old 04-20-2020, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,235
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsta View Post
I hope that wasn't sarcastic? They are actually good to deal with?
No....They are very friendly and helpful.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #20022 of 20704 Old 04-20-2020, 09:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 141
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsta View Post
I hope that wasn't sarcastic? They are actually good to deal with?

I'll agree, they are very pleasant. I bought a bunch from them when they were closing out the previous R-series (directly from Kef USA in New Jersey). Wish I could remember the guy's name, he seemed to be in charge. He hunted down new-in box models that I was looking for in the correct finish. Then, when I noticed that I couldn't have them held at a UPS center (UPS's website would tell me that wasn't an option), I called them to see what was up and they explained that it was a policy of theirs. I told them it made more sense to me to have them held rather than leaving them on my driveway and they said "ok" and rescinded the policy for me. Immediately. Told me to wait a half hour or so and try again, I did and it worked. Gave me the shipping mgr's name so that I could call him directly for subsequent shipments. He did it every time and never acted "put out" about it or anything. Everyone I spoke to was customer-oriented.
Lp85253 likes this.
Shooter41 is offline  
post #20023 of 20704 Old 04-21-2020, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by remsta View Post
Hi All,

How are the KEF T301, 301C and T101's for rear surrounds? I originally suggested the Q series to my parents; however, they don't want anything on the floor and that they are too big and bulky.

In addition, is it possible to mount the T101's on a wall on an angle, i.e. on a wall and tilt them at an angle to face forwards to the couch as they cannot be mounted on the rear wall.

Thanks,
Consider grabbing the V300 system on closeout on the KEF site for $299. Essentially two T301s and an amp. The speakers themselves are stamped V300 but if you compare to the T301 they are identical for a fraction of the cost. This package used to be expensive. I suspect they are just wanting to get rid of the whole package bc the amp is a little outdated. I sold the KEF amp that came with them for like $75 and used my Sonos Amp to power them. They awesome speakers for my upstairs TV. They will need a sub though to sound really good.
KenM10759 and Turbohippo like this.
AHans is offline  
post #20024 of 20704 Old 04-22-2020, 06:42 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarons915 View Post
I suspect if Audyssey simply changed their target to the same curve, we wouldn't be able to tell the difference between XT32 and Dirac Live.
I disagree. There’s more to DSP than target curve alone. Two different room correction software with the same target curve could sound different depending on initial frequency response room measurements, the exact details of the proprietary filter creation and how that ultimately effects system response.
freedomgli is offline  
post #20025 of 20704 Old 04-22-2020, 06:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 79
KEF Q550 ($600 each) vs. Elac Uni-fi UF5 ($400 each). They seem very similar on paper. Anyone with personal experience with both? Unable to audition either right now. But the Elac came highly recommended by a trusted friend and I like that it would save me $300-$400 over the KEF.
freedomgli is offline  
post #20026 of 20704 Old 04-22-2020, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,738
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
KEF Q550 ($600 each) vs. Elac Uni-fi UF5 ($400 each). They seem very similar on paper. Anyone with personal experience with both? Unable to audition either right now. But the Elac came highly recommended by a trusted friend and I like that it would save me $300-$400 over the KEF.
Kef will hold its value better if you ever want to sell it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Jus32 likes this.
SouthernCA is online now  
post #20027 of 20704 Old 04-23-2020, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,235
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 3332
Due to room layout my subs were not ideally placed and seating was somewhat off center. This being my 2nd week of confinement I had/have a little time on my hands. The coffee table and end tables (along with other odds & ends) were just taking up too much space limiting my placement options. Now with the subs properly placed and audyssey re-ran, I can't believe how much difference just moving the subs make. Someone on the facebook group mentioned not needing tone controls for Dark side of the moon which put me it the mood for some Pink floyd and now I'm kicking myself for putting off this project for so long.

Rant over.
KenM10759, Lp85253 and Jus32 like this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #20028 of 20704 Old 04-24-2020, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
impreza276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 931
I'm trying to figure out on which of the speaker the bass driver is, and which one is the ABR.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	q650c.jpg
Views:	521
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	2715552  
impreza276 is online now  
post #20029 of 20704 Old 04-24-2020, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
aarons915's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,853
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1326 Post(s)
Liked: 1084
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
I'm trying to figure out on which of the speaker the bass driver is, and which one is the ABR.


Nice setup, when playing something on them you should be able to put your finger on the edge of the speaker surround and the real driver should be vibrating a lot more I would think. Otherwise you could take out a driver and see if it has wires attached to it.
impreza276 likes this.
aarons915 is online now  
post #20030 of 20704 Old 04-24-2020, 09:00 AM
Senior Member
 
sam_canavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kitchener .Ontario ,Canada
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
I'm trying to figure out on which of the speaker the bass driver is, and which one is the ABR.


this is on Kefs site for the specs
Drive Units 130mm (5.25in.) aluminium Uni-Q
25mm (1in.) vented aluminium dome HF
2x 130mm (5.25in.) aluminium ABR
These would be on the sides.

Denon 3400h, Kef LS50s, Kef Q250c, PSB Sub Series 125 and Paradigm adp-190s, Atrium4 Front Heights
55 Q80r, Optoma HD 2200, ps3 and HTPC- Living Rm

Yamaha YAS108, 55 lg lk520-Bed Rm
sam_canavo is online now  
post #20031 of 20704 Old 04-24-2020, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,235
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
I'm trying to figure out on which of the speaker the bass driver is, and which one is the ABR.


Are those Q250 or 650?

The 250 has dual ABR vs 1 bass driver and 1 ABR for the 650.
impreza276 likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #20032 of 20704 Old 04-24-2020, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
impreza276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Are those Q250 or 650?

The 250 has dual ABR vs 1 bass driver and 1 ABR for the 650.
They are 650s
impreza276 is online now  
post #20033 of 20704 Old 04-24-2020, 09:51 AM
Senior Member
 
sam_canavo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kitchener .Ontario ,Canada
Posts: 263
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
Are those Q250 or 650?

The 250 has dual ABR vs 1 bass driver and 1 ABR for the 650.
Thanks for posting this, I didn't realize it.
Thought they were identical except size
impreza276 likes this.

Denon 3400h, Kef LS50s, Kef Q250c, PSB Sub Series 125 and Paradigm adp-190s, Atrium4 Front Heights
55 Q80r, Optoma HD 2200, ps3 and HTPC- Living Rm

Yamaha YAS108, 55 lg lk520-Bed Rm
sam_canavo is online now  
post #20034 of 20704 Old 04-24-2020, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
WereWolf84's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,162
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
They are 650s
any SQ issues using these center speakers in unusual vertical placement?
WereWolf84 is online now  
post #20035 of 20704 Old 04-24-2020, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pase22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Montreal,Canada
Posts: 8,235
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3867 Post(s)
Liked: 3332
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_canavo View Post
Thanks for posting this, I didn't realize it.
Thought they were identical except size
The previous generation Q200 has a woofer-tweeter-ABR arrangement like the current Q650. I can understand why it can be confusing.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Emotiva A-300, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
pase22 is offline  
post #20036 of 20704 Old 04-24-2020, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ryan Statz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, AB. Canada
Posts: 2,262
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
I'm trying to figure out on which of the speaker the bass driver is, and which one is the ABR.
E-mail KEF, they'll tell you which one is the ABR.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
Ryan Statz is offline  
post #20037 of 20704 Old 04-24-2020, 09:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jima4a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southeast USA
Posts: 2,276
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
I'm trying to figure out on which of the speaker the bass driver is, and which one is the ABR.
I have never tried it, but couldn’t you take a 9 V battery and apply to the low frequency terminals and see which holds in or out?

I would get confirmation this is a wise move before trying that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Parasound Halo A31, ATI AT528nc. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.
jima4a is online now  
post #20038 of 20704 Old 04-25-2020, 01:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ryan Statz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Calgary, AB. Canada
Posts: 2,262
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 1182
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
I have never tried it, but couldn’t you take a 9 V battery and apply to the low frequency terminals and see which holds in or out?
... or just ask KEF. They are pretty quick to respond.

Home Theatre: Marantz SR6014 | KEF Q750 | KEF Q650c | KEF Q150 | HSU ULS-15 MK2 | Sony XBR55X900E | PS4 Pro | Xbox One S | Nintendo Switch

Music: Cambridge Audio AXR100 | Fluance RT85 | Ortofon 2M Blue | Cambridge Audio AXC35 | Neat Motive 3
Ryan Statz is offline  
post #20039 of 20704 Old 04-25-2020, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
impreza276's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,441
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
any SQ issues using these center speakers in unusual vertical placement?
None that I can hear. In theory I believe they should work better placed vertically.

@Ryan Statz , @jima4a Thanks for the suggestions! I prodded both speaker cones and the ABR has far lighter springing. I tested the speakers in both orientations (ABR bottom, ABR top) and think they sound slightly better with the ABR at the top. Might be just my imagination
KenM10759 likes this.
impreza276 is online now  
post #20040 of 20704 Old 04-25-2020, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
macgallant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: NB, Canada
Posts: 1,507
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by impreza276 View Post
None that I can hear. In theory I believe they should work better placed vertically.

@Ryan Statz , @jima4a Thanks for the suggestions! I prodded both speaker cones and the ABR has far lighter springing. I tested the speakers in both orientations (ABR bottom, ABR top) and think they sound slightly better with the ABR at the top. Might be just my imagination



the Right speaker is the Bass driver, left bass Radiator.
impreza276 likes this.

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Revel Concerta2 M16, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
macgallant is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
Kef , Kef Audio , kef blade 2 , Kef Bookshelf Speaker , Kef C4 Subwoofer Black , Kef Center Channel Speaker , Kef Ls50 2 Way Speaker System , Kef Q100bl Bookshelf Speaker , Kef Q700wa Floorstanding Speaker , kef r series , kef reference 3 , Kef T Series Floor Stand Pair

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off