AVS Forum banner
3M views 26K replies 2K participants last post by  ScottSFA 
#1 ·
KEF owner here. I'm surprised there isn't an "official" thread for us yet.

My system:

Harman Kardon AVR-435

iQ7's up front

2QC on center duty

Q5's bringing up the rear

PSW 2150

Rounding out the gear is my Denon DVM-715 dvd changer(soon to be a Toshiba HD player), and RCA 56 inch HDTV, all connected with Monster Ultra Series speaker wire, interconnects, and banana plugs(sue me, the stuff was on clearance lol).

I'll try to have pics up within a week.

Thomas

See less See more
#18,401 ·
This is very interesting. I'll have the same setup next week. One of the reasons I ordered KEF in addition to B&W was how bright B&W sounded during demos. Truth be told the B&W doesn't sound as bright at home, although yet to run XT32 (will do so this weekend). Also had a brief test with a damaged set of Q350s (Q750s pending) and noticed a slightly warmer sound than B&W.

That said, if the KEFs do come through that bright, I'll be sticking with the B&Ws.
Bright was probably a poor choice of words. They sound more open/increased resolution.

I associate bright with Harsh and i HATE harsh speakers.

#18,402 ·
Well, I would have wondered how they could improve upon the R series without getting too close to the Reference series, they managed to do it. ;)

I wouldn't consider them to be "mini Blade", they've got a long way to go for that. There's where an improved LS50 version could go.

The 2017 Q series isn't similarly discounted here in the US, so what you're seeing is likely a pricing adjustment for that market. In Canada, there are different distribution channels for various speaker brands, and different pressures.
I would love for KEF to come out with a more budget friendly 3 way bookshelf. Something in between the Q350 and the R3 since there's quite a huge gap in prices/market.

$1300-$1500 3-way bookshelf would be nice but i guess they're probably afraid of taking away sales from the R series. It's interesting they have nothing to compete against the Revel Concerta2, Dynaudio Emit, MA Silver speakers.

#18,403 ·
Bright was probably a poor choice of words. They sound more open/increased resolution.

I associate bright with Harsh and i HATE harsh speakers.
Makes sense. I hooked up the Q750s Saturday and was immediately impressed. Switching back and forth between those and B&W 603s in 2.0 setup. Initial reactions from an untrained amateur ear:

- KEF Q750 sound warmer, perhaps fuller and more rounded. Sometimes I wish there was more, but I haven't really stretched their legs yet and they are only a few hours old. I am quickly becoming a fan of the Uni-Q and how it ties sound together
- B&W 603 cleaner, better vocals. Sounds like more stage and distance with the sound. Brighter in comparison.

At their best the 603s make the 750s sound muddy; comparatively the 750s make the 603s sound overly clinical and sharp.

I'll hook up the respective centers tonight and continue playing around with it. I also went for the KEF Kube 10b (was planning to do two of them), but feel its lacking. Perhaps I am used to ported subs, and know I do want more balanced, accurate base, but am 99% certain I'll switch to the 12b ASAP.

#18,404 ·
Seeking the wisdom of the crowd for a HT setup in connection with a basement remodel. While I'm certainly focused on quality, I'm not an audiophile, and I'm not seeking perfection. I would appreciate any constructive criticism and/or suggestions for the following setup (which I have sketched out after a fair bit of research and listening):

- KEF R7 fronts
- KEF R2c center
- KEF R8a surrounds
- KEF KUBE 12b sub
- Marantz AV7705 pre/pro
- Marantz MM7055 5 channel amp

A bit more info on the project itself:

- Listening area is 16' x 16' x 8'.
- The left side of the listening area is entirely open to a larger 16' x 42' x 8' rectangular room (inclusive of the listening area). The area is otherwise enclosed by walls to the front, right and back.
- Primary use will be movies and sports viewing (~75%), secondary use will be music (~25%).
- I'm primarily focused on creating a solid 5.1 setup. I don't believe I would fully appreciate the marginal improvements achievable by adding additional speakers, cost and complexity.
- At some point, I may choose to upgrade (add?) components for a 2-channel setup for higher quality music listening. This is not a priority today, but is one reason I'm considering the R's rather than the Q's.
- In addition to sound quality, I place a high value on simplicity, ease of use and build quality.
- $12k to $15k budget for speakers and components.

A few questions:
1) The R8a's seem exorbitantly priced for surrounds. They appear to be the obvious match, but any suggestions for acceptable alternatives? The KEF in-wall options with Q drivers seem like a much more affordable possibility. Thoughts?
2) Any views on the capabilities of the 12b sub for this application? I appreciate the aesthetic appeal of brand matching, but I have had positive experience with the similarly-priced SVS SB2000.
3) Would it be worth considering additional investment for the R400b sub? The smaller footprint is very appealing, but not sure what to think about the twin 9" drivers. Any experience with this sub in a similar setup?
4) My preference for the separates is based on my understanding that the R's can be demanding from an amplification perspective. I'm prepared to spend the money for separates if this is actually true. Any experience using a single box (e.g. higher range Denon) to comfortably drive a similar configuration? Any suggestions for alternatives to the Marantz separates? I've had positive experience with the Marantz/Denon sound for HT applications, but I'm open to other ideas.

Thanks to everyone in advance - this forum has been a great learning resource.

#18,405 ·
$1300-$1500 3-way bookshelf would be nice but i guess they're probably afraid of taking away sales from the R series. It's interesting they have nothing to compete against the Revel Concerta2, Dynaudio Emit, MA Silver speakers.
That's where the LS50's fit in. It may not be a 3 way speaker, but the value/performance is certainly present.

#18,406 ·
Makes sense. I hooked up the Q750s Saturday and was immediately impressed. Switching back and forth between those and B&W 603s in 2.0 setup. Initial reactions from an untrained amateur ear:

- KEF Q750 sound warmer, perhaps fuller and more rounded. Sometimes I wish there was more, but I haven't really stretched their legs yet and they are only a few hours old. I am quickly becoming a fan of the Uni-Q and how it ties sound together
- B&W 603 cleaner, better vocals. Sounds like more stage and distance with the sound. Brighter in comparison.

At their best the 603s make the 750s sound muddy; comparatively the 750s make the 603s sound overly clinical and sharp.

I'll hook up the respective centers tonight and continue playing around with it. I also went for the KEF Kube 10b (was planning to do two of them), but feel its lacking. Perhaps I am used to ported subs, and know I do want more balanced, accurate base, but am 99% certain I'll switch to the 12b ASAP.
As much as I like my SB-2000 sub musically, it does lack punch for HT. There are some very good hybrid subs on the market that can give you the best of both worlds.

#18,407 ·
Seeking the wisdom of the crowd for a HT setup in connection with a basement remodel. While I'm certainly focused on quality, I'm not an audiophile, and I'm not seeking perfection. I would appreciate any constructive criticism and/or suggestions for the following setup (which I have sketched out after a fair bit of research and listening):

- KEF R7 fronts
- KEF R2c center
- KEF R8a surrounds
- KEF KUBE 12b sub
- Marantz AV7705 pre/pro
- Marantz MM7055 5 channel amp

A bit more info on the project itself:

- Listening area is 16' x 16' x 8'.
- The left side of the listening area is entirely open to a larger 16' x 42' x 8' rectangular room (inclusive of the listening area). The area is otherwise enclosed by walls to the front, right and back.
- Primary use will be movies and sports viewing (~75%), secondary use will be music (~25%).
- I'm primarily focused on creating a solid 5.1 setup. I don't believe I would fully appreciate the marginal improvements achievable by adding additional speakers, cost and complexity.
- At some point, I may choose to upgrade (add?) components for a 2-channel setup for higher quality music listening. This is not a priority today, but is one reason I'm considering the R's rather than the Q's.
- In addition to sound quality, I place a high value on simplicity, ease of use and build quality.
- $12k to $15k budget for speakers and components.

A few questions:
1) The R8a's seem exorbitantly priced for surrounds. They appear to be the obvious match, but any suggestions for acceptable alternatives? The KEF in-wall options with Q drivers seem like a much more affordable possibility. Thoughts?
2) Any views on the capabilities of the 12b sub for this application? I appreciate the aesthetic appeal of brand matching, but I have had positive experience with the similarly-priced SVS SB2000.
3) Would it be worth considering additional investment for the R400b sub? The smaller footprint is very appealing, but not sure what to think about the twin 9" drivers. Any experience with this sub in a similar setup?
4) My preference for the separates is based on my understanding that the R's can be demanding from an amplification perspective. I'm prepared to spend the money for separates if this is actually true. Any experience using a single box (e.g. higher range Denon) to comfortably drive a similar configuration? Any suggestions for alternatives to the Marantz separates? I've had positive experience with the Marantz/Denon sound for HT applications, but I'm open to other ideas.

Kef R7 series would excel with both music and movies. Kef off axis response is excellent for rooms with multiple seating positions. For surround duty, a pair of Q150's would be just fine since you're mostly getting background music and ambient sounds out of the surrounds. For mostly HT, I'd go with 2 large ported subs. HSU makes some good hybrid subs as does SVS though SVS has the advantage of having a remote app. SVS are more expensive, but have a 5 year unconditional warranty and bill of rights. NOTE: the subs do not need to match the speakers and room size will determine how much sub you'll need to adequately pressurize the space.

#18,408 ·
That's where the LS50's fit in. It may not be a 3 way speaker, but the value/performance is certainly present.
In a smaller room i agree they are hard to beat! But in a medium to large room they can't keep up vs the competition without a sub. If you factor in the cost of a rythmik sub then you're already at the R3's price.

I understand why KEF doesn't do this (KEF R sales are most likely too good) but i wish they did.

#18,409 ·
In a smaller room i agree they are hard to beat! But in a medium to large room they can't keep up vs the competition without a sub. If you factor in the cost of a rythmik sub then you're already at the R3's price.

I understand why KEF doesn't do this (KEF R sales are most likely too good) but i wish they did.
Anyone who's serious about good bass should have at least 2 subs though, just due to positioning constraints of your mains, dealing with room modes, etc. The R3 have really good bass but they'll still greatly benefit from subs.

#18,410 ·
Kef R7 series would excel with both music and movies. Kef off axis response is excellent for rooms with multiple seating positions. For surround duty, a pair of Q150's would be just fine since you're mostly getting background music and ambient sounds out of the surrounds. For mostly HT, I'd go with 2 large ported subs. HSU makes some good hybrid subs as does SVS though SVS has the advantage of having a remote app. SVS are more expensive, but have a 5 year unconditional warranty and bill of rights. NOTE: the subs do not need to match the speakers and room size will determine how much sub you'll need to adequately pressurize the space.
Thanks for this - I will certainly look into the Hsu subs.

Any view on the importance of separates to drive the R series? I'm guessing they are preferable in any case, but curious to know if anyone has had real world problems driving these speakers with a decent quality single AVR box.

#18,411 ·
Thanks for this - I will certainly look into the Hsu subs.

Any view on the importance of separates to drive the R series? I'm guessing they are preferable in any case, but curious to know if anyone has had real world problems driving these speakers with a decent quality single AVR box.
It does depend on your listening habits, but most mid level AVR's & up can easily handle a multi-channel setup. That said, Kef speakers are power hungry and can dip down below 4ohms. A seperate amp for the front 3 or even just the R7's would be beneficial for 2.0/2.1 music.

#18,412 ·
A few questions:

1) In terms of the R8a's the price looks to be mostly due to the matching finish of the R series. I use the cheaper Q50a's personally in my setup which retain the same angled cabinet shape if you're wall mounting these for surrounds. If you're not wall mounting, you can easily go with cheaper bookshelves like the Q350 on stands. Also as an option, you can try and track down the now discontinued R50's which have been replaced by the R8a earlier this year, whether it be through your dealer or the used market.

2/3) Although I personally haven't tested them in home, I've researched the 12b & R400b as potential options in the past 6 months for my living room setup for the nice finish and smaller footprint. Going by reviews and measurements though, these subs just don't stack up to the other internet direct companies subs like most here will tell you when it comes to performance and pricing.

4) The need/usefulness of seperates will definitely depend on your volume and listening habits. If you're going to get one of the higher end Marantz/Denon units, they may be perfectly sufficient for your needs. I have always used bookshelves and never ran full towers before though, so in that application maybe someone with better knowledge can chime in. If seperates are the way to go - then it would allow you to just stick with the AVR that has the necessary processing channels that you need (7,9,11,etc.), and not worry so much about going for the highest powered unit. I will mention in regard to Denon models, I know they are currently rolling out the 2019 models, so you may be able to save some of your budget with a 2018 model on closeout pricing or something... again that would be dealer specific.

As much as I like my SB-2000 sub musically, it does lack punch for HT. There are some very good hybrid subs on the market that can give you the best of both worlds.

Like pase22 says, there's a really good selection of subs, especially if you're located in the US and don't have to worry about crazy shipping costs and customs fees. Most people will recommend ported subs for your application, and multiple of them. It will mainly come down to your budget, and if other things matter like the size/finish/footprint of the cabinet then you might want a sealed option. For example, because I have a living room setup, and want to move my sub placement to the front soundstage - I have been specifically looking for a smaller footprint sub with a nice finish to match my KEF R300/600c combo. I was pretty set on the SVS SB3000 (since I am in Canada all the other sub companies I contacted for final to the door pricing were crazy)... but with luck I came across someone with a used ad selling his 2 HSU ULS-15 mk2's, and I will be picking one of those up today! It allows me to move up to a 15" driver with a decent looking box that's a smaller footprint than my current ported model.

#18,414 ·
A few questions:

1) In terms of the R8a's the price looks to be mostly due to the matching finish of the R series. I use the cheaper Q50a's personally in my setup which retain the same angled cabinet shape if you're wall mounting these for surrounds. If you're not wall mounting, you can easily go with cheaper bookshelves like the Q350 on stands. Also as an option, you can try and track down the now discontinued R50's which have been replaced by the R8a earlier this year, whether it be through your dealer or the used market.

2/3) Although I personally haven't tested them in home, I've researched the 12b & R400b as potential options in the past 6 months for my living room setup for the nice finish and smaller footprint. Going by reviews and measurements though, these subs just don't stack up to the other internet direct companies subs like most here will tell you when it comes to performance and pricing.

4) The need/usefulness of seperates will definitely depend on your volume and listening habits. If you're going to get one of the higher end Marantz/Denon units, they may be perfectly sufficient for your needs. I have always used bookshelves and never ran full towers before though, so in that application maybe someone with better knowledge can chime in. If seperates are the way to go - then it would allow you to just stick with the AVR that has the necessary processing channels that you need (7,9,11,etc.), and not worry so much about going for the highest powered unit. I will mention in regard to Denon models, I know they are currently rolling out the 2019 models, so you may be able to save some of your budget with a 2018 model on closeout pricing or something... again that would be dealer specific.

Like pase22 says, there's a really good selection of subs, especially if you're located in the US and don't have to worry about crazy shipping costs and customs fees. Most people will recommend ported subs for your application, and multiple of them. It will mainly come down to your budget, and if other things matter like the size/finish/footprint of the cabinet then you might want a sealed option. For example, because I have a living room setup, and want to move my sub placement to the front soundstage - I have been specifically looking for a smaller footprint sub with a nice finish to match my KEF R300/600c combo. I was pretty set on the SVS SB3000 (since I am in Canada all the other sub companies I contacted for final to the door pricing were crazy)... but with luck I came across someone with a used ad selling his 2 HSU ULS-15 mk2's, and I will be picking one of those up today! It allows me to move up to a 15" driver with a decent looking box that's a smaller footprint than my current ported model.
Fyi rythmik shipping to Canada is really cheap

#18,415 ·
Fyi rythmik shipping to Canada is really cheap

It's a combination of the shipping and the exchange rate being terrible. I inquired about the F12SE and the price was $1279 USD (~$1750 CND) and I'd assume you get hit with charges at the door as well. The gloss black SB3000 is $1575 CND to the door and you get 45 days of trial and the upgrade program. I can't complain now though with the deal I got on the HSU sub!

#18,416 ·
Q750. What would be the he minimum WPC to push these towers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In what application? Just 2.1 music or are there more speakers involved?

What sources, how big is the room, how far from the speaker do you sit, and how loud do you need it to go?

More information results in better answers!

:)

#18,417 ·
In what application? Just 2.1 music or are there more speakers involved?

What sources, how big is the room, how far from the speaker do you sit, and how loud do you need it to go?

More information results in better answers!

:)

2 channel. Only a sub if needed. 100% music. Room is maybe 12 by 15 with 10ft ceiling. This is my bed room and I’ll never be more than the given dimensions away from the speakers. I’m just taking baby steps into this after years dumping money into another hobby.

Current set up is Yamaha RN303 with Elac Debut 2.0 6.2’s. The RN303 won’t be enough. I was told that the Outlaw Audio RR2160 is nice.

#18,418 ·
2 channel. Only a sub if needed. 100% music. Room is maybe 12 by 15 with 10ft ceiling. This is my bed room and I’ll never be more than the given dimensions away from the speakers. I’m just taking baby steps into this after years dumping money into another hobby.

Current set up is Yamaha RN303 with Elac Debut 2.0 6.2’s. The RN303 won’t be enough. I was told that the Outlaw Audio RR2160 is nice.

You haven't mentioned budget, though the R2160 goes for around $850. In that range there's a few as powerful that also add to the mix with streaming, wireless, and Bluetooth features.

The NAD C368 or C388 with BluOS module would be killer, and you could control just about everything on them with your phone or (better) a tablet. The Yamaha R-N803 would be the near equivalent, though without the slick app interface of the NAD. So many more as budget increases!

While the Q750's put out decent bass (depending upon placement and distance from walls & corners), I'd still suggest a modest sealed sub to augment more modern recordings that have frequencies well below what the Q750's can handle. Something like an SVS SB2000, Hsu Research ULS15, etc.

Reactions: activestatic
#18,419 · (Edited)
Well I finally got the 650c and 10b hooked up to my front 750s, and ran Audyssey XT32. Wow, what a difference Audyssey made to the sub. Last night with just the sub and 750s (pre-calibration) I was so underwhelmed. Now I can feel the bass in the arm rest of the sofa, so much so that I've dialed it back. It all suddenly came to life with the center and the sub. I still think I'll change to the 12b for the extra headroom, but very pleased with the balance and elegance of the sub. Its there, but not in an obnoxious way.

Only thing to note is the level was between -10 to -15 db for the experience. Feels like I'm having to crank the receiver up a lot for the level of volume I was looking for.

Now I sit back and think to myself what if I had the R7s. It never ends!

#18,420 ·
You haven't mentioned budget, though the R2160 goes for around $850. In that range there's a few as powerful that also add to the mix with streaming, wireless, and Bluetooth features.

The NAD C368 or C388 with BluOS module would be killer, and you could control just about everything on them with your phone or (better) a tablet. The Yamaha R-N803 would be the near equivalent, though without the slick app interface of the NAD. So many more as budget increases!

While the Q750's put out decent bass (depending upon placement and distance from walls & corners), I'd still suggest a modest sealed sub to augment more modern recordings that have frequencies well below what the Q750's can handle. Something like an SVS SB2000, Hsu Research ULS15, etc.
SB2000 seems like very overkill to me for a bedroom.

I have a small Sunfire XTEQ8 8" sub at my computer desk and it would be overkill for a bedroom IMO, and I like bassy electronic music.

Q750 is a lot of speaker for a bedroom - he might be fine without a sub or a very small sub, depending on what he listens to and at what volume.