AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Speakers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/)
-   -   KEF Owners Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/724103-kef-owners-thread.html)

mskeezer 09-15-2006 12:55 PM

KEF owner here. I'm surprised there isn't an "official" thread for us yet.

My system:

Harman Kardon AVR-435
iQ7's up front
2QC on center duty
Q5's bringing up the rear
PSW 2150

Rounding out the gear is my Denon DVM-715 dvd changer(soon to be a Toshiba HD player), and RCA 56 inch HDTV, all connected with Monster Ultra Series speaker wire, interconnects, and banana plugs(sue me, the stuff was on clearance lol).

I'll try to have pics up within a week.

Thomas

SeattleSuburbia 09-15-2006 06:06 PM

There are relatively few KEF owners in the states since they don't market here.

iQ9's FL and FR
iQ6c center
Q50's LR and RR (soon to be replaced with iQ3's maybe?)
iQ8ds surround back
ghetto sub until I can afford something like the SVS 20-39+

david*roy 09-15-2006 09:12 PM

You can count me in this thread. I own the Kef Reference 203 and soon 202C. Great speakers!! For surround speakers I have the KEF Compact!! KEF are great speakers!!

mskeezer 09-15-2006 10:46 PM

I forgot to mention that I have the KEF 1005 system that I plan on using in the bedroom once I get around to putting the rest of the system together. For the size and price I paid, they're amazing little speakers.

The iQ's have been awesome. I've owned a lot of speakers from brands like: Athena, Polk, Infinity, Energy, and countless others. They were all great speakers, but there's just something about the KEFs that I absolutely love. I don't know what it is... They just sound right to me.

ritesh 09-16-2006 05:22 AM

Here's my system,

KEF Q1 at the front
KEF Reference 100 at the centre
KEF Q9s for the surrounds
With the Marantz receiver for now.

The system serves me well for both HT and Music. I have restrictions in the placement of the fronts, and the front-ported Q1 are great for keeping them closer to the back-wall. The Q9s being the closed-box are mounted on the wall.

Ritesh

clrv 09-16-2006 08:17 AM

I love KEF's and not just because I sell them. I honestly think that for the money they are the best bang for the buck

KEF Reference 203 Fronts
KEF Reference 202c Center
4 KEF Q9s for the Surrounds

2nd Room KEF inwalls

obrientwo 09-16-2006 08:17 PM

Debating Def Tech Gems with Mythos 7 center vs Kef 3005s. Your comments please.

Dorn 09-18-2006 08:14 PM

How good are the iQ1s or even the iQ3s for just a simple stereo setup?

Maybe even go as far as the iQ5s or iQ7s.

clrv 09-19-2006 08:47 AM

They are great but if you are able to I would try and go with the iQ5s or iQ7s. I know this is hard to believe but I did have Paradigm Reference 100v.2 in my personal theater(my partner owns a store that sell Paradigms) when I took on KEF I still keep my Paradigms at my house. After hearing the KEF for I while I brought the iQ9s home and I kid you not the iQ9s sounded better the the Paradigms.

I now use the KEF Reference in my personal theater but in MY opinion KEF is ONE of the best bang for your buck.

Dorn 09-19-2006 12:28 PM

After looking at things a bit more, I'm honestly stuck between the iQ3s and iQ5s right now. There's also some other speakers out there I really want to demo (Polks, Boston Acoustics) before I really decided. It's really just a matter of whether I want to go with floorstanding or not. This is in a bedroom mind you, but that's just for the next few months. They may end up being moved into a living room when I move.

kronkite 09-20-2006 08:30 AM

Nice thread - thanks for starting it up.

I have Reference 201s as my main speakers (it's a small room). Using them with an Arcam AVR200. You have to love the "British sound".

I'm planning on adding a center channel but the Reference series models are too big and expensive for me (even the 202c).

Any thoughts on mixing and matching other center channels with the Reference 201? Ideally I'd like to find something slim that would fit underneath a flat screen and that would match the beautiful cherry finish on my 201s (otherwise just matte black).

I'm considering:
* iQ series center channel
* KHT series (but they are very shiny)
* Older/discontinued models?
* Other manufacturers? (e.g., Canton)

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Ritesh, where did you find your Model 100? How does it match with the Q1s?

Thanks!!!

clrv 09-20-2006 09:24 AM

kronkite, what % do you use your system for(HT, multichannel Music, 2-Channel Music).

That is going to big a big part on mixing although I don't recommend it but sometimes you can get by with it.

kronkite 09-20-2006 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrv View Post

kronkite, what % do you use your system for(HT, multichannel Music, 2-Channel Music).

That is going to big a big part on mixing although I don't recommend it but sometimes you can get by with it.

Thanks, Clifton. I mostly listen to stereo music right now, but I'd like to get more into home theater since I'm buying a new TV. My room isn't so big, so I'm hoping for something compact.

By the way, I see from your website that you also have the 201s -- nice choice. ;^) Which subwoofer is that? How do you like it?

clrv 09-20-2006 05:20 PM

Noproblem, for 2 channel music the center is not that big of deal, but for me in HT it is one of the most important speakers.

As far as the 201s all I can say is total bliss.

The sub is a DD15. If you want the walls to raddle this is the sub for you.

I will be selling most of my demo equipment in the next few weeks so anyone interested e-mail me.

ritesh 09-20-2006 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronkite View Post

Ritesh, where did you find your Model 100? How does it match with the Q1s?

I am in Australia, got it from Secher Audio. The rationalle for buying it was that most sound for HT comes out of the center and thus I thought of spending a bit more and getting this one. It was my first ever system, looking back now, I should have probably tried Q9c, the matching centre. I guess I am just lucky that the model blended-in alright.

Quote:

I have Reference 201s as my main speakers (it's a small room). Using them with an Arcam AVR200. You have to love the "British sound".

I'm planning on adding a center channel but the Reference series models are too big and expensive for me (even the 202c).

Any thoughts on mixing and matching other center channels with the Reference 201?
I'm considering:
* iQ series center channel
* KHT series (but they are very shiny)
* Older/discontinued models?
* Other manufacturers? (e.g., Canton)

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!!!

In the older discontinued models, you could try the Reference 200c (the next model up from the one that I have which is reference 100c).

I suspect it might blend in very well with your reference series speakers. The reviews seems to be good for it as well.

I wouldn't recommend, trying to match the centre with another manufacturer, or trying out the KHT series, that would be quite different to your mains.

Good luck, and let us know how you go.

cheers,

Ritesh

fourml8r 09-21-2006 04:21 PM

i must be the old guy in the group (but i'm only 40!!!!). i have a pair of 105.3 reference series bought off ebay ($1,000) and a pair of 104.2 reference series my dad gave to me (Circa mid 80s) but these still kick butt.

other equipment is a yamaha 2600 (Just got it), samsung sacd/dvd audio player, hughes HD Directv receiver and an infinity 360 center channel, 57" Toshiba Cinea RPTV, psb subsonic 6i sub.

pretty soon the basement home thearter will be done and this equipment (Not TV) will go into the new space along with a projector (possibly sony vpl-hs60) and a 106" carada screen.

Deathwish238 09-21-2006 04:45 PM

My first setup:
KEF KHT2005.2
Denon AVR-3805

I've been quite happy with it. KEF made me the audiophile I am today. However, sadly I'm not as fond of some of their newer speakers.

cpu8088 09-21-2006 05:55 PM

do you know if kef now owned by taiwanese?

SeattleSuburbia 09-22-2006 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu8088 View Post

do you know if kef now owned by taiwanese?

The parent company is GP Industries.

http://www.gp-industries.com/

cpu8088 09-22-2006 11:07 AM

thanks

not taiwanese but a hong kong based publicly listed company

nathanb 09-22-2006 11:27 AM

i'm looking for a bedroom set, and was thinking about the KEF 3005, monitor radius, def techs, orbs, axiom mini epics, etc.

i've listened to the first 4. i thought the bookshelves were superior to the orbs -- but i truthfully didnt hear much difference between the radius, def tech and KEF (much to the chagrin of my sales associate, who was high on the KEF)

any input? i'm looking to spend not much more than 1500. . .

Deathwish238 09-23-2006 01:35 PM

Go with the KEFs, the wife/gf will appreciate them

greenkawasaki 10-22-2006 01:04 AM

What's your top color choice from the new IQ line if you didn't have to match it to your current furniture.

Mine's the apple, maple, walnut in order.

I've included pictures of the three finishes below. Maple is the lightest, apple is the medium darkness, then walnut is the darkest.
LL
LL
LL

gotchaforce 10-22-2006 03:37 AM

apple looks damn good in person

jazjon 10-25-2006 01:33 AM

Does anyone know a good online deal for KEF speakers? I'm hoping to avoid a bit of the fulll msrp and or taxes expense.

2 iQ9-maple (flr std/each/maple/KEF)
1 iQ6C-maple (center channel/each/aple/KEF/)
2 iQ8DS-mpl (dipole/mpl/pr/KEF)

SeattleSuburbia 10-25-2006 09:57 AM

You won't find much of a discount from any authorized reseller.
I got mine from Vann's, no tax free shipping.

Mark McIntosh 10-25-2006 10:12 AM

Great thread - thanks for starting it up. I have a sub/sat system from Orb Audio for my HT, but when I want to hear some awesome speakers, I turn to my Kef 103.2's. I bought the pair in 1980 when I was in college for $900 and they are still the sweetest sounding speakers. I have tried to replace them many times over, but never hear anything that is not ridiculously more expensive that sound better for music. Cheerio!

jazjon 10-25-2006 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleSuburbia View Post

You won't find much of a discount from any authorized reseller.
I got mine from Vann's, no tax free shipping.

Thanks,
So far I found amazon at msrp (tax free)
brandnamez is slightly discounted.
They are even cheaper on froogle but then you get into the "cosmetic blemishes" discount. I'd rather have brand new perfect condition of course

dougotte 10-25-2006 12:23 PM

I've had this setup for about the past 2.5 years:
Q11 mains
Q10c center (duh!)
Q1 surrounds
JBL PB10 sub

These are not iQ. The finish is cherry. I love them. The room is a big challenge, but they sound great for music and HT. I'm sure they would sound even better if proper placement were possible. As it is, the soundstage is incredible - it wraps around the side walls almost to the back wall.

The JBL is fine for HT, and I don't listen to much music w/ a .1 channel, but it sounds good when I do.

In fact, I've been focussing on upgrading my basement 2ch system for the past year or so. Although it has better components, the speakers (rebuilt vintage 1981 EPI 100Vs) are still too harsh and forward. When I go upstairs and put in the same music, I'm pleasantly surprised how good it sounds w/ the KEFs. I guess as I age, I'm preferring a more "relaxed" sound than the bright, ultra-detailed sound I preferred in my youth.

Regards,
Doug

McCall 10-25-2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

There are relatively few KEF owners in the states since they don't market here.

iQ9's FL and FR
iQ6c center
Q50's LR and RR (soon to be replaced with iQ3's maybe?)
iQ8ds surround back
ghetto sub until I can afford something like the SVS 20-39+

They have been marketed and sold in the US for Many many years, KEF 105's were my first love.

My dedicated home theater is all KEF except for the center which is a B&W and a Velodyne Subwoofer.

SeattleSuburbia 10-25-2006 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

They have been marketed and sold in the US for Many many years, KEF 105's were my first love.

My dedicated home theater is all KEF except for the center which is a B&W and a Velodyne Subwoofer.

Maybe that was a poor choice of words. I know they have been available, most people just haven't heard of them.

kronkite 10-27-2006 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazjon View Post

Does anyone know a good online deal for KEF speakers? I'm hoping to avoid a bit of the fulll msrp and or taxes expense.

You might try Accessories4Less - they are kind of like a KEF outlet store

I bought my speakers there and they were in flawless condition

mskeezer 10-30-2006 07:56 PM

MAJOR SYSTEM UPGRADE!

I just upgraded from the iQ's to the XQ Series. I've now got the XQ5's up front with the XQ2c pulling center duty. I moved my iQ7's to the rear for now as well as added the iQ8ds dipoles.

Also added to the system was the Optoma HD70 with an Elite screen, a Yamaha RXV-2600 receiver(with 3 channel amp on the way), the Yamaha DVD-S2500 dvd player, a Definitive Supercube 1 sub, and a Harmany 550 learning remote.

I've yet to set everything up properly. We're moving to a house this week(the gf and I) and once everything's up and running I'll get some pics for you guys.

McCall 10-31-2006 06:10 AM

Quote:

Maybe that was a poor choice of words. I know they have been available, most people just haven't heard of them.

Ahh! but then MOST people haven't heard any decent speakers in their lives either.

That's why home theater dealers can get away with selling BOSE to people and making them think they have a state of the art theater too.

stevenassco 10-31-2006 11:58 AM

has anyone compared the iQ series, in particular the iQ9 to any other floorstanders of comparable price (ie B&W 603s, Monitor RS6's, Energy RC's, Vandersteen 1C's etc)

I have only seen an older model used and breifly....no dealers around here!-

Schlotkins 10-31-2006 12:07 PM

Well, I'm not a KEF owner, but I am very interested in these speakers. What kind of sound do they have? I'm looking for a nice clear, neutral sound. Almost all of my listening is either non-critical (ie. just on in the background) or HT. I need a nice light wood (aka maple) for WAF which the KEF's definitely have.

Before purchasing, I'll definitely go listen, but the nearest dealer is a bit from me so I'd rather know there's a good chance I'll like them before I head out.

Thanks,
Chris

stevenassco 10-31-2006 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlotkins View Post

Well, I'm not a KEF owner, but I am very interested in these speakers. What kind of sound do they have? I'm looking for a nice clear, neutral sound. Almost all of my listening is either non-critical (ie. just on in the background) or HT. I need a nice light wood (aka maple) for WAF which the KEF's definitely have.

Before purchasing, I'll definitely go listen, but the nearest dealer is a bit from me so I'd rather know there's a good chance I'll like them before I head out.

Thanks,
Chris

from the little i have seen to what i have read, their quality is top notch. The WAF will be high, but in reality we need to mix the WAF with the best for what you get. , and the iQ9 got a glowing review on Sterophile from this past February. Also it seems the UK mags like this line up....best under 1000£ pair of speakers on the market. Now you must take that with a grain of salt as KEF is a UK based company.

It seems the iQ line simply lacks some mid and low range authority bass...maybe to be expected by its design and seemingly minimalistic approach to the low end drivers and smaller cabinets?

Can anyone explain to me the their Uni-Q design - its definently intrigueing. I am not sure what the advantages/negatives are over a traditional dome or ribbon style tweeter?

I am not an acoustical engineer, and the KEF website goes into great detail on some of the issues and differences such as excellence off axis response due to the enclosure, as well as devoiding the spacing between drivers issue. Its my understanding then there is not large phase shifts with the design and the crossovers/speakers have the ability to cover a larger range in the acoustic range? Maybe I am way off base here...still a newbie at most of this

I am looing hard at the iQ9s, Monitor RS6s, B&W 603, Energy RC30s. All about the same price, but the iQ9's are the best priced of the bunch. I can audition the 603 and RS6, but no Energy or KEF dealers near me.

Any input?

clrv 10-31-2006 06:52 PM

There is going to be another great review of the iQ line in the Nov. issue of Sound and Vision Mag.

They reviewed the iQ9s, iQ8ds, iQ6c,and the sub PSW 3500

The Bottom Line

"It's always enjoyable to auditing high-end speakers, particularly when they come in an attainable $3,500 package. Like fine wines, they're almost always pleasurable, and display individual traits. This system is highly transparent, with low-end warmth and a smoothness that extends across the frequency range. Its commanding sound and attractive design would be impressive in any serious home theater. With speakers like the iQ series, the sun will never set on the KEF empire."

Contact me for a great price on any of the speakers

sivadselim 10-31-2006 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenassco View Post

Can anyone explain to me the their Uni-Q design - its definently intrigueing. I am not sure what the advantages/negatives are over a traditional dome or ribbon style tweeter?

The Uni-Q driver DOES contain a "traditional" dome tweeter; it's just that it's located right in the middle of the mid-bass driver. This provides for a single point source from which much (or all in the case of the single driver bookshelves) of the sound emanates. This is desirable as it helps the speaker "disappear".

HERE is a link. Click on "Uni-Q White Paper" in the upper left.

JeffKB 10-31-2006 09:56 PM

I have a pair of the Reference 103/3's from the Raymond Cooke era. Although I've owned them for about 17 years, they still put a smile on my face. I have no current desire to part with them.

Although music used to be my primary source, it is now almost exclusively HT. I'm looking for a possible candidate for a center speaker and was wondering if anyone has successfully paired an older, non Uni-Q KEF Reference speaker with another make/model. The one caveat is that my budget is $500 - $600 tops.

Here's a few speakers I'm considering:

#1 Another 103/3. An obvious choice, but I'd need to get another amp so that I can use the required KUBE (I'll spare you the details ). Plus I'm running a front projection setup and using an upright speaker poses setup issues.

#2 A newer KEF center like the iQ6C. As long as the newer KEFs have the same neutral, uncolored, laid-back-yet-dynamic qualities of their predecessors, it may work.

#3 Axiom VP150. Probably not the best match (Axioms appear brighter than the KEFs), but my surround speakers are Axioms (QS8's) and that would mean if I replace the KEFs with Axiom mains down the road, I'd have a timbre matched 5 speaker setup.

#4 Onix Rocket RSC200. Again, probably not the best match, but it has gotten many accolades and opens the door to replacing the KEFs down the road with Rocket mains (surrounds would still be Axiom however).

#5 B&W ????? - don't have any particular model in mind, but they are similar in kind to KEF.

Any suggestions from anyone would be much appreciated. If you have experience with both the pre Uni-Q KEFs and the current line, or if you've got a synergistic combo of older KEF Reference and another speaker for the L-C-R, I'd love to hear about it.

Jeff

Perfectionist2 10-31-2006 10:02 PM

I have KEF 207 reference with 204 center channel.

The sound is amazingly natural, neutral, clear, and detailed. Not sure how much is due to the KEF speakers and/or my Halcro SSP100 but the sound is spectacular.

The 207s are quite large but beautiful in cherry. These are not for a small room.

mltv 10-31-2006 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrv View Post

There is going to be another great review of the iQ line in the Nov. issue of Sound and Vision Mag.

They reviewed the iQ9s, iQ8ds, iQ6c,and the sub PSW 3500

The Bottom Line

"It's always enjoyable to auditing high-end speakers, particularly when they come in an attainable $3,500 package. Like fine wines, they're almost always pleasurable, and display individual traits. This system is highly transparent, with low-end warmth and a smoothness that extends across the frequency range. Its commanding sound and attractive design would be impressive in any serious home theater. With speakers like the iQ series, the sun will never set on the KEF empire."

Contact me for a great price on any of the speakers

I picked up that issue up at the local grocery store this week. KEF on the front cover. Good marketing.

I happened to listen to the KEF iQ line a few months back and liked them a lot.

The KEF marketing dept is obviously spending big bucks to get on the cover of Sound and Vision. But their web site sucks and needs to be totally redone. They can learn some lessons from the ID guys on how to promote their speakers on the web. Who knows - maybe they don't want to.

sivadselim 11-01-2006 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltv View Post

They can learn some lessons from the ID guys on how to promote their speakers on the web.

They need to learn some lessons on how to promote them, period.

McCall 11-01-2006 06:47 AM

JeffKB,

I have a 7.1 system in my HT All various models of KEF including Dipole surrounds, except the Center which is a B&W center channel was around 600 and works beautifully with the KEFs subwoofer is Velodyne.
I think you would be happy with a B&W center.

kronkite 11-01-2006 10:49 AM

I have compared KEF iQ to comparable B&W (603 etc). My friend was choosing between the two, he ultimately settled on iQ9s.

My opinion: they are not exactly the same.

KEF: More open, better stereo imaging, smoother response

B&W: Boxier, more low-end kick

In short, I think KEF are more versatile for different kinds of music and generally like the sound better. But if you are into heavy rock you might want to consider B&W.

Just my 2 cents...

sivadselim 11-01-2006 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB View Post

Any suggestions from anyone would be much appreciated. If you have experience with both the pre Uni-Q KEFs and the current line, or if you've got a synergistic combo of older KEF Reference and another speaker for the L-C-R, I'd love to hear about it.

Jeff

Jeff,

The newer KEFs have metal dome tweeters (and hypertweeters, if applicable) and I, personally, think they sound considerably different from the old-school KEFs. The timbre is definitely different. You may or may not like the difference. Whether the difference would be enough to preclude using one of the newer KEFs as a center speaker would be up to your ears.

dougotte 11-01-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

I have compared KEF iQ to comparable B&W (603 etc). My friend was choosing between the two, he ultimately settled on iQ9s.

My opinion: they are not exactly the same.

KEF: More open, better stereo imaging, smoother response

B&W: Boxier, more low-end kick

In short, I think KEF are more versatile for different kinds of music and generally like the sound better. But if you are into heavy rock you might want to consider B&W.

Just my 2 cents...

Good point. I listen to a great variety of music, including rock, but those who are really into bone-crunching rock might prefer a more "in your face" speaker.

Doug

sivadselim 11-01-2006 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post

Good point. I listen to a great variety of music, including rock, but those who are really into bone-crunching rock might prefer a more "in your face" speaker.

Doug

Yeah, rockin' out is not really their (KEF's) forte, although this is usually due to the poor quality of many rock recordings. I have heard them thump quite pleasantly with the right recording; even some hip-hop. Gorillaz, for one example, sound great on my KEFs.

erpauls 11-01-2006 01:49 PM

Kef is the forever underrated speaker.

Kef Ref 100C
Q50's main L/R
Q15's SS

Driven by an older Marantz SR880 as the tuner/preamp/proc and a Sunfire Cinema Grand 5x200 amp.

I also own a Q95C and a really old pair of C25s. The ones they matched the C200SW subs for. Yes I own them too.

Unfortunetly, I don't think anyone locally sells them anymore.

My system has gotten long in the tooth and it is time for me to upgrade.

SeattleSuburbia 11-01-2006 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post

Yeah, rockin' out is not really their (KEF's) forte, although this is usually due to the poor quality of many rock recordings. I have heard them thump quite pleasantly with the right recording; even some hip-hop. Gorillaz, for one example, sound great on my KEFs.

I have the iQ9s and I approve this message.

JeffKB 11-02-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCall View Post

JeffKB,

I have a 7.1 system in my HT All various models of KEF including Dipole surrounds, except the Center which is a B&W center channel was around 600 and works beautifully with the KEFs subwoofer is Velodyne.
I think you would be happy with a B&W center.

Quote:

Jeff,

The newer KEFs have metal dome tweeters (and hypertweeters, if applicable) and I, personally, think they sound considerably different from the old-school KEFs. The timbre is definitely different. You may or may not like the difference. Whether the difference would be enough to preclude using one of the newer KEFs as a center speaker would be up to your ears.

Thx for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

McCall - which B&W speaker are you using for the center?

sivadselim - ya, the metal tweeter consideration was something I thought about. My Axiom surrounds use metal dome and they are definitely a little brighter than the KEFs. It doesn't really cause an issue because they're surrounds, but I do have doubts how well mixing in a metal dome tweeter in the LCR speakers would work.

In addition to the 103/3's, I also have some PSB Image 4T's in the house. Maybe this weekend I'll lug one down to the basement and experiment with a LCR configuration with those and the KEFs. I have the feeling I may ultimately just continue to go with a phantom center, or else invest in another 103/3 as a center (and the setup headaches that go with that).

In the meantime, if anyone has any other good experiences getting a close timbre match between the old KEF reference speakers (103/3, 104/2, 107) and a different center, or any feedback at all, I'd love to hear about it.

Jeff

McCall 11-02-2006 01:42 PM

The B& W center I have is part of the 600 series. I forget which at the moment. and they are at my other house.

kronkite 11-03-2006 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKB View Post

Thx for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

McCall - which B&W speaker are you using for the center?

sivadselim - ya, the metal tweeter consideration was something I thought about. My Axiom surrounds use metal dome and they are definitely a little brighter than the KEFs. It doesn't really cause an issue because they're surrounds, but I do have doubts how well mixing in a metal dome tweeter in the LCR speakers would work.

In addition to the 103/3's, I also have some PSB Image 4T's in the house. Maybe this weekend I'll lug one down to the basement and experiment with a LCR configuration with those and the KEFs. I have the feeling I may ultimately just continue to go with a phantom center, or else invest in another 103/3 as a center (and the setup headaches that go with that).

In the meantime, if anyone has any other good experiences getting a close timbre match between the old KEF reference speakers (103/3, 104/2, 107) and a different center, or any feedback at all, I'd love to hear about it.

Jeff

If the 103/3s are too big/complex to use as a center, maybe you can find a smaller KEF C-series speaker from the same era? The drivers are more likely to match, I'd think, than some newer speaker.

JeffKB 11-05-2006 09:46 AM

Quote:

If the 103/3s are too big/complex to use as a center, maybe you can find a smaller KEF C-series speaker from the same era? The drivers are more likely to match, I'd think, than some newer speaker.

Well, I think I'm giving up on the idea of a center speaker. I hauled a PSB 4T down to my basement HT last night and ran the PSB as the left channel and used the 103/3's as the center and right. Timbre match didn't bother me that much - but I just wasn't that impressed with the difference between a phantom and real center. Looks like I'll be turning my attention to subwoofers instead - I think that will make a bigger difference in the scheme of things.

I did discover one thing in all of this however. I had read on the internet that just about all of the older KEF Reference speakers suffer from dryrot of the inner woofer surround. When I detached my speakers from their stands, I checked mine (they're inside the cabinet) and sure enough they were all but disintegrated. I don't know how much it actually impacts the sound, but I might take the dollars I was planning on spending for the center and spend it on reconing instead. Looks like there's a dealer in Florida (Sound Ideas) that advertises the service on eBay.

stubeeef 11-05-2006 06:56 PM

I have a pair of 105.2's and yes they are sitting in a storage unit! I need one re-coned as my 3yr old took them to task.
I also have a pair of 101.1's that I will own till I die, these are the sweetest bookshelves ever made, bar none! (how's that for a superlative)
I am building a HT now and the iQ9's or iQ7's would fit as L/R the iQ6c as center, but what about a timbre matched, ceiling mountable (not too heavy or large) surround for a 7.x system?

stubeeef 11-05-2006 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazjon View Post

I have never used them, but they say they are authorized Kef dealers

http://www.hipposaudiovideo.com/

trosko 11-13-2006 02:41 PM

I'm looking to replace a Bose system and have a fairly small room (10' x 12'). I'm trying to decide on the right speaker system. I've heard the JM Lab system and liked it, but I'm interested to know how it would compare to the KEF system. Both can be found new for around $1000 - 1100. Not a ton of reviews on either that I can find. I'll be powering it with a Yamaha RXV-2600.

Frenchies versus the Brits. Let's get it on!

trosko 11-13-2006 02:43 PM

I'm looking to replace a Bose system and have a fairly small room (10' x 12'). I'm trying to decide on the right speaker system. I've heard the JM Lab system and liked it, but I'm interested to know how it would compare to the KEF system. I'll be about 80-20 home theater to music. Both can be found new for around $1000 - 1100. Not a ton of reviews on either that I can find. I'll be powering it with a Yamaha RXV-2600.

Frenchies versus the Brits. Let's get it on!

chiliman 12-03-2006 09:52 PM

Great thread. Throw one more "me too" into it.

I have loved my Kef setup since putting it together back in '96. I have Reference III's up front along with the Ref 200-C center. After moving into my most recent home I needed to get away from floor standing rears so I replaced my Ref I's (sitting in storage!) with a pair of 2Qds and a pair of iQ3's for a 7.1 setup.

A couple of years ago I got the upgrade bug and searched high and low for something I prefered and didn't find anything for less than twice the money of Kefs. It's a priviliged man's secret if you ask me!

Randy

locomo 12-03-2006 10:34 PM

I'm like a few other posters here in that I have some older Kef's and would love to find a center channel to match.
I have a pair of these Monitor series:
http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/rdmthree.asp
and they really do sound sweet.

dar322 12-04-2006 04:31 PM

I've had KEF C40's over the last 18 years, and recently replaced them with the Q5's. You can find KEF's discounted in the USA at accessories4less. Fast delivery, and you can save a bunch.
Also just replaced my Adom Tuner/Preamp with a Denon Receiver (2307CI) but still use my Carver M-500T Amp.
Can't go wrong with the KEF's.
BTW, anyone know what C40's are worth these days?
Thanks.

stevenassco 12-04-2006 05:06 PM

here is a recent test for comparison. The CM7 is about double the price so totally fair but good none the less

http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/artic...AN/922/v/1/sp/

chiliman 12-05-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

I'm like a few other posters here in that I have some older Kef's and would love to find a center channel to match.
I have a pair of these Monitor series:
http://www.kef.com/history/1990_2/rdmthree.asp
and they really do sound sweet.

I've had the Ref 200C for about 10 years and have had the Q9C and 100C in my system for a period of time too. The 200C and 100C were built with the same drivers as the RDM 3's and would match up very well and I was happy with the Q9C too.

A quick search on Ebay found a 200C for what I have seen as the going rate being sold by a company with a very good feedback rating, I also saw a model 90 which is very similar to the 100C. If the 200C is more than you are looking to spend then the 100C or 90 might be a better option than the Q9C

Randy

Student of A/V 12-08-2006 12:56 AM

I have a pair of Reference Series 104.2, owned sinced 1987. I just discovered that during a recent move one of my mid-ranged drivers (and speaker cover) were damaged . I called KEF USA in N.J. and to my horror they no longer stocked the drivers. If possible, can someone please provide a source that may have replacement parts for cira 1980s KEF Reference Series. Thanks in advance!

BTW, I currently have the 104.2s intergrated in my small HT/Media room along with Klipsch center and rears (yes, I know this seem like a huge mismatch...but somehow it doesn't sound bad), anyway recent years, I never found a timbered matched center.

locomo 12-08-2006 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman View Post

I've had the Ref 200C for about 10 years and have had the Q9C and 100C in my system for a period of time too. The 200C and 100C were built with the same drivers as the RDM 3's and would match up very well and I was happy with the Q9C too.

A quick search on Ebay found a 200C for what I have seen as the going rate being sold by a company with a very good feedback rating, I also saw a model 90 which is very similar to the 100C. If the 200C is more than you are looking to spend then the 100C or 90 might be a better option than the Q9C

Randy

Thanks Randy,
I'm assuming they do have the ferrofluid rather than the titanium tweeters.
I'm going to keep an eye on them, especially a cherry wood for the WAF.

Pambs 12-09-2006 01:21 AM

i have a pair of reference model 2 2
and a reference 200c for centre

pre/pre Lexicon Mc8
amps for main denon poa 6600 monoblocks
center and surrounds lexicon lx5

i'm looking to change my surrounds, i have some kenwood floorstanding but i'm looking for something i can mount on the walls and has similar sound to the rest

tdigden 12-12-2006 02:39 PM

XQ5 - Fronts
XQ2c - Center
iQ5 - Rears

speeeedy 12-15-2006 01:06 PM

KEF reference 205s, 202c, 201s and 2 psw 4000s. I had the q series before these and loved them until I blew a bunch of speakers and x overs. I took them back to UE for repair and after 6 months I got the center ch. back and one front and they were not fixed. So UE gave me my money back after about 6-8 months of owning them and I picked up my reference series on clearance.

ATD1 12-15-2006 07:52 PM

Hey guys...I'm really new here looking for some advice. Just purchased the new Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver and am now trying to put together some kind of HT setup. Went to my local Tweeter and listened to the Polk RTi which were too bright with this receiver. The LSi series sounded much better but were way more in price. Anyway my reason for posting here is to ask what you think about pairing the Yammie with the IQ9's, IQ6C, and KEF IQ in-ceiling surrounds.

Any help would be great...thanks.

Deathwish238 12-17-2006 06:17 AM

If you like the sound of the Yamaha w/ the KEFs...go for it

kronkite 12-18-2006 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeeedy View Post

KEF reference 205s, 202c, 201s and 2 psw 4000s. I had the q series before these and loved them until I blew a bunch of speakers and x overs. I took them back to UE for repair and after 6 months I got the center ch. back and one front and they were not fixed. So UE gave me my money back after about 6-8 months of owning them and I picked up my reference series on clearance.

2 psw 4000s (!)

ATD1 12-18-2006 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathwish238 View Post

If you like the sound of the Yamaha w/ the KEFs...go for it

Well I haven't actually been able to listen to the Yammie with the KEF's...just wondering if anyone has any input or experience with these 2 together.

Thanks

speeeedy 12-19-2006 02:43 PM

Quote:

2 psw 4000s (!)

And 2 sunfires for in the rear. If I could afford it I would replace the sunfires with 2 more of the PSWs.They are a beatifull looking and sounding sub. They go VERY well with my KEF reference speakers. I am surprised there is not more KEF owners hear.

Hendrik vR 12-21-2006 01:33 AM

Current 6.1 setup
Main L+R : C35
F Center : Ref Model 100
Sur L+R : Q15
R Center : Model 80C
Sub : Model 30B

A new set of iQ8ds is on its way, so the 80C will be dropped and the Q15's will move to the rear for a 7.1 setup.

I also want to replace the C35's with iQ7's or iQ9's. Recommendations? Which are better value for money?

The Q15's are similar to the iQ3's spec-wise. Are they good enough or would you suggest I replace them?

Also, should I replace my Model 100 with a iQ6c?

I am running off two Rotel 976 power amps, ie. 12 channels. (only using 6 at the moment) Is it a good idea to bi-amp the iQ7/iQ9's? What is the impedance of these speakers when bi-amped?

Thanks

rharrison 12-26-2006 09:33 PM

Hey, I've a pair of 103/3's running left and right in my HT. Several years ago, I picked up a single 103/3 and matching Kube on Ebay for $350 or so - and that's what I'm using right now for a center. It's on it's side, and I veneered the bottom so it looks great.

However, for many years I used an Energy center channel. I forget the model, but it is the dual 6.5" woofer with exposed titanium tweeter version. I know... titanium tweeter mixed with a cloth dome L/R???? It worked pretty well.

Good luck...

FYI - I'm in the Seattle area as well.

ross 12-26-2006 09:48 PM

I haven't been in the forum lately, but I wanted to say that I've had a pair of KEF 107 Reference speakers for the past 17 years and they are still the best sounding speakers I've ever heard. Every now and then someone will come over and invariably I get comments like - What are those? or even where can I get them. My response is that they aren't easy to come by! It's hard to believe that they still even work, but only the equalizer ever wore out and I replaced that not very easily about 4 years ago.

Rgrds-Ross

timanc 12-28-2006 06:41 PM

I'm getting ready to purchase KEF speakers for HT and whole house audio as follows -- iq9, iq6, psw2500, and ci160.2 for rear surround. Any thoughts or cautions? I just listed to iq1 and thought they sounded good, but lacked the kick of an OLD pair of Polks I have. I'm looking to power the new speakers with an onkyo 803. System will be mostly for movies, but I listen to a lot of music also.

claf-43 12-29-2006 11:23 PM

KEF Q7s front
KEF 9C Centre
KEF Q1s rear

Love these things!

Tobester 01-14-2007 09:20 AM

I just pruchased a pair of Kef reference three and think they are great. I have owned a pair of 103/3 since 93 and C90 since 97. I have been experiminting with the c90 center and using the 103/3s pair (not uniQ and not the best match) as surrounds. Last night I unplugged the 103/3 and tried a pair of Klipsch RS62 surrounds (part of a set of Klipsch 7.1 speakers I plan to sell) mounted on the back wall. I liked this much better for surround and for 5ch music. Now I don't think it was because they are Klipsch although these are very good Klipsch and very dynamic. I think in my room bipoles or dipoles just may work better. My seating is against the rear wall and so surrounds almost have to go on the rear walls (if they are wall mount ) due to door openings and windows. It seems scandalous to mix kef and klipsch since they should have very different sound. Any suggestions on the surrounds. I see some have used the IQ8ds. I have seen a TDM 34 ds (I believe that is it is called) for sale before on audiogon. Has anyone had experience with these? Should I not dismiss the Klipsch surrounds? I plan to replace the c90 with a c200. If I don't use the 103/3 I will move them to a workout room so they will not go to waste.
Tom

Tobester 01-16-2007 06:08 AM

I did buy the ref 200c and waiting on it's arrival. We really need more Kef owners on this forum.
Tom

kronkite 01-26-2007 11:37 AM

Maybe this is old news, but I just noticed on the KEF website that they released a new Reference series:
http://www.kef.com/products/referenc...l/default.aspx

mektare 01-29-2007 12:12 PM

Just purchased KEF xQ package.

Fronts: xQ5
Center: xQ2C
Rear: xQ1

They are driven by denon 3806. I am blown away by the system's performance, but want to know from other KEF owners if Denon 3806 with 120 Watt/channel is sufficient to power these. I have not yet calibrated the system, and it has only pumped 20 hours music/movies so far.

KEF rocks!
-A KEF Fan

sivadselim 01-29-2007 01:07 PM

Quote:

Maybe this is old news, but I just noticed on the KEF website that they released a new Reference series:
http://www.kef.com/products/referenc...l/default.aspx

Wow. No separate hypertweeter.

btstarke 01-30-2007 12:00 PM

I had a chance to get the previous Reference series at 50% and should have jumped on the deal. I can get the IQ9's now for 50% off MSRP, but not sure if I shouldn't hold out to see if I can get the new reference series, since I am moving into a new house. I am currently using a yamaha rxv 2500 reciever but have a chance to get an onkyo TXNR 1000 at a steal as well but didn't know if it would be too much for the KEF's.

Anyone have any thoguhts on the IQ 9's vs the Reference 205/207 series and which reiever to use?

dakar80124 01-30-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btstarke View Post

I had a chance to get the previous Reference series at 50% and should have jumped on the deal. I can get the IQ9's now for 50% off MSRP, but not sure if I shouldn't hold out to see if I can get the new reference series, since I am moving into a new house. I am currently using a yamaha rxv 2500 reciever but have a chance to get an onkyo TXNR 1000 at a steal as well but didn't know if it would be too much for the KEF's.

Anyone have any thoguhts on the IQ 9's vs the Reference 205/207 series and which reiever to use?

There isn't any comparison. I did not like the IQ speakers much, but I really like the XQ series and am in love with the Reference series. I want to hear the new Reference /2 speakers. I wonder how much different it sounds. The bad thing is they jacked the price way up on them too. They take out the hypertweeter thus making the design somewhat simpler, yet still jack the price.

btstarke 01-30-2007 05:10 PM

^ any opinions on which reciever to use?

fourml8r 01-30-2007 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATD1 View Post

Hey guys...I'm really new here looking for some advice. Just purchased the new Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver and am now trying to put together some kind of HT setup. Went to my local Tweeter and listened to the Polk RTi which were too bright with this receiver. The LSi series sounded much better but were way more in price. Anyway my reason for posting here is to ask what you think about pairing the Yammie with the IQ9's, IQ6C, and KEF IQ in-ceiling surrounds.

Any help would be great...thanks.

i have some older kef reference 105.3 (front) and 104.2 (rear) and they sound great with my yamaha 2600. but to be honest i used to have denon and thought the sound was slightly "warmer" and better overall. but last 2 denons shorted out so i have switched to yamaha for the moment. plus i got a deal on the 2600 ($860 from an authorized local retailer)

dar322 01-31-2007 05:19 PM

I just bought a pair of Q5's to replace my C40's. The Q5's are awesome. I have a 500W Carver amp. Very clean, crisp sound. I have it hooked into a Denon receiver. Pure Digital sound with the CD's DVDs. Phono sounds great too, but I give the Amp lots of credit for that.

avs_jag 02-07-2007 10:35 PM

Anyone have any thoughts on KEF KHT3005 set vs PLK RM6750?

SJHT 02-08-2007 11:13 AM

Quote:

The new design of the tweeter makes this possible.... However, the cost of the new Reference Series really went up. For example, 205/2 (new model) go for $5,500 each! (vs. $4K today for the 205 which you can already find discounts for as dealers are clearing them out). They have made many improvements in the new models, but I wonder if the new higher cost is justified. I believe the previous Ref series debuted in 2001, so it has been a while since they made major changes.... SJ

sivadselim 02-08-2007 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

The new design of the tweeter makes this possible....

Yeah, if it can cover the same range just as well, then this would "re-unify" the UniQ driver making for an awesome single point presentation of most of the sound.

Still too expensive, though.

ribbit 02-21-2007 01:25 AM

what's the difference between the Q1 and the iQ3? is there a difference in aesthetics? (i'm just not seeing it)

does anybody know how many binding posts there are at the back of the q1? are these bi-ampable?

sivadselim 02-21-2007 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit View Post

what's the difference between the Q1 and the iQ3? is there a difference in aesthetics? (i'm just not seeing it)

does anybody know how many binding posts there are at the back of the q1? are these bi-ampable?

The Q series is the previous model series to the iQ series. The iQ series replaced the Q series. Regarding the Q1 and iQ3, essentially, they are the same size driver-wise. The iQ3 woofer is made of a different material than the Q1's. Not sure whether the tweeters are different or not. I also do not know how different the internal electronics (crossover) are. The cabinets, although very similar, are not identical.

The Q1's have 4 binding posts and ARE bi-ampable/bi-wirable.

videoaddikt 03-02-2007 11:23 AM

In my experience KEFs always favored music over film. But I think they have crossed that bridge with little loss in the journey. I think that's a better bias though than the other way around.
I had a pair of 104/2s that I really made me an audiophile also (as someone posted early on).
I sold them eventually, and certainly to someone who wanted the 'name' and never really appreciated what they do. I regret it now.
Looking into the iQ series, same combo recommended by S&V and several other reviewers.
Need to do a personal audition.
Earlier ones (like the 104) had little bass extension. KEF offered an electronic equalizer to improve it, which it did, but tended to muddy up the the pristine midrange.
Now, I don't think they lack much of anything, depending on your room and budget, of course.
Time to go back and listen to some more KEFs again. Too bad there is not more interest on the forum.

SJHT 03-02-2007 02:14 PM

I still have my 104/2s that I use for my front speakers. I don't use the electronic equalizer any more, but they still sound pretty darn good. Bass is not that great, but these old speakers coupled with a great sub (with bass management from my processor) breathed new life into them. They still sound fantastic especially in the mid-range. I'm starting to get the upgrade bug and will likely replace them. I want to get full range speakers with a more tightness and response. Interesting that I have replaced everything else in my setup many times over the years, but the old 104/2s still have a place. The new KEF reference series that just were announced look great, but come with a high price tag. SJ

videoaddikt 03-02-2007 11:30 PM

Good luck with that. I never had an opportunity to experiment with a sub and my KEFs. That would be interesting, and no reason it should not play right with a quality sub, the right crossover, and better electronics. The first time I heard the 104s I ended up buying a lower model, can't remember now what it was. The dealer gave me full credit on a trade up for one year on any other KEF. I was back only 2 weeks later to get the 104/2s, I could not get that sweet sound out of my head.

SJHT 03-03-2007 12:07 AM

Yeah, I've listened to several new speakers, but can't get the mid range that my 104/2s deliver. If you looked at mine, you would think they were brand new. Not a scratch on them I'm going to listen to the new KEFs to see how they sound. I listen to a lot of jazz and the old 104/2s still sound great. They actually hold up fairly well with movies. I have a KEF 100 center and KEF Q surrounds (7.1 setup). Still not bad given the age of the 104/2s. I really think that my sub and the new electronics have really helped them survive for me..... SJ

DS-21 03-03-2007 03:21 AM

Quote:

I'm glad. Supertweeters are IMO more trouble than they're worth. On both previous KEFs and recent Tannoys, they take what was a nice controlled-directivity system and do strange things to the mid-treble that don't need to happen, for a HF extension bump that is of little practical consequence. The supertweet also dramatically shrinks the sweet spot, and provides further problems because the optimal listening angle for any coincident or concentric driver is NOT directly on-axis but a bit off.

I'm at my lowest level of KEF speaker ownership since I was 17. Right now the only KEF speakers I'm running are Q-Compacts as my rear surrounds in the main system, and the old-school KAR System 160Q in my project car. Mostly that's because my tolerance for dynamic compression has gone down, and I've kind of graduated to the logical next step, Tannoys using their Dual Concentic drivers. Tannoy Duals give me everything I loved from my KEFs but with higher efficiency and less compression. In the past, I have owned the following KEF speakers.

-Q15 + Q95c
-Q35 (different residence)
-RDM one (outstanding desktop monitor)
-RDM two
-Reference Two + 200 center
-A second pair of Q-Compacts

All of them were excellent, honestly.

videoaddikt 03-03-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJHT View Post

Yeah, I've listened to several new speakers, but can't get the mid range that my 104/2s deliver. If you looked at mine, you would think they were brand new. Not a scratch on them I'm going to listen to the new KEFs to see how they sound. I listen to a lot of jazz and the old 104/2s still sound great. They actually hold up fairly well with movies. I have a KEF 100 center and KEF Q surrounds (7.1 setup). Still not bad given the age of the 104/2s. I really think that my sub and the new electronics have really helped them survive for me..... SJ

I would be very interested in your impressions on the newer KEFs as you do your listening. I would be more than willing to share mine also.

SJHT 03-03-2007 05:11 PM

Will do. My local KEF dealer told me they would have them within a few weeks. SJ