Official MK - Miller & Kreisel Thread?!? - Page 156 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 292Likes

post #4651 of 4668 Old 10-08-2019, 12:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAGmanz View Post
I currently have 3x S150Mkll for LCR, 1 pair of S150T for side surrounds and 1 pair of MP150 for rear surrounds.

I would like to move to a 9.1.6 layout. My room is approximately 17ft x 12ft x 8ft tall. It's arguably overkill for a room this size I know. There are three options I'm considering.

1) Swap the S150T to the rear surrounds, move the MP150 to side surrounds and purchase another pair of MP150 (newer model now) for the front wides.

2) Purchase another pair of S150T (newer model) for the front wides.

3) Sell my S150T and purchase two pairs of MP150 or IW150 for the front wides and side surrounds. I would prefer the in wall models for an unobtrusive look in the relatively narrow room but I'm not sure if the wall studs will allow proper positioning of speakers.

For all cases I'm looking at the new IC95 for height speakers.
For me the front wides would be an afterthought. I'd start by simply adding the height speakers and place all of the surround speakers lower than I would for a traditional surround system. I'd leave the S150Ts as the side surrounds, and the MP150s as the rear, based on THX's recommendations that always favored directionality for the rear speakers over the sides. I have tremendously more material with 7.1 or 5.1 than Atmos (and I expect you will too), so I would try to preserve a good 7.1/5.1 setup within the Dolby Atmos setup. Additionally the effect of the S150Ts will be more directional when placed lower, with the front driver more on axis with the listener's ears (as Dolby Atmos prefers directionality over diffusion in all surround speakers). At some future point I might consider replacing the S150Ts with MP150s to get a more optimum Atmos setup. I wouldn't consider the S150T as a good new purchase choice for the wide speakers. They are designed to give some diffusion as surround speakers. I'd go with the MP150.

All that being said, I'll add the disclaimer that I'm not really sold on Dolby Atmos yet. Hearing rain drop splatters on the ground above my head and super precise localization of sound away from the screen aren't that big of interest to me. It does however look like object based audio is a good tool on the production end of things. Almost all of my movie library is pre-Atmos, and I'm not really wanting those titles updated to Atmos.
Thanks for your advice. My gut feeling was to do exactly as described.

The only reason for moving the S150T to the rears was to save on speaker costs as I would only need to purchase one set of MP150. The same is true for buying a new set of S150T but like you, I felt this would not be a good move considering the directionality requirement of Atmos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 4668 Old 10-09-2019, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC-Technerd View Post
The threaded shaft is 1/2" long, or just shy of it.
Very helpful, thank you. I found these in the box. I had never intended on mounting them until now, so I must have forgotten they were there, but glad I kept them!
KC-Technerd likes this.
post #4653 of 4668 Old 10-09-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
KC-Technerd will be more accurate regarding 20 threads per inch. I misinterpreted this as 20mm.

Regarding the mounting hardware I found it "hidden" away in a small cavity in the side of the polystyrene packaging. It was not immediately obvious to me at first either.
Yes, I just found them, thank you.
KC-Technerd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4654 of 4668 Old 10-10-2019, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Sorry to bump this again. Anyone compared IW150 vs IW300 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4655 of 4668 Old 10-13-2019, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Can you use a pair of older s150 speakers with a new s150 speaker?
Allen
post #4656 of 4668 Old 10-20-2019, 01:46 PM

Any suggestions for which subwoofers to add to MK 300/150/950 9.x4 system ? I have two JL audio fathom f113v2. Will probably need 1-2 more subs for a planned 3400 cubic foot theater space.

Adding more JL subs will be really costly. How would the SVS SB16 or the M&K X12 stack up?
Seaton sub ?

Is there any advantage in using an M&K SUB with an MK speaker system ?
post #4657 of 4668 Old 10-20-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 2290
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Any suggestions for which subwoofers to add to MK 300/150/950 9.x4 system ? I have two JL audio fathom f113v2. Will probably need 1-2 more subs for a planned 3400 cubic foot theater space.

Adding more JL subs will be really costly. How would the SVS SB16 or the M&K X12 stack up?
Seaton sub ?

Is there any advantage in using an M&K SUB with an MK speaker system ?
Are you sure you need more bass with two fathom F113s???? Those are outstanding subs.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #4658 of 4668 Old 10-21-2019, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Are you sure you need more bass with two fathom F113s???? Those are outstanding subs.

I guess I will see when the theater finally built, but i have been told 2 fathoms f113 will not provide that tactile sort of bass in at 3400 cubic feet room.

post #4659 of 4668 Old 10-21-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I guess I will see when the theater finally built, but i have been told 2 fathoms f113 will not provide that tactile sort of bass in at 3400 cubic feet room.

Are your subs Version 1 or 2?

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #4660 of 4668 Old 10-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Are your subs Version 1 or 2?

Version 2
post #4661 of 4668 Old 10-21-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Version 2
I think you'll be OK with what you've got. Is the room going to be treated as well? When you introduce a sub from a different manufacturer, the setup is much harder to achieve quality results (trust me, I have 5 subs in my system right now--SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB-3000, HSU VTF-15H MK2, and stacked JL Audio d110s configured as a mid-bass module). In fact, a piece of furniture was recently added to the room and I can tell it changed something in my room and I have to spend a day with RoomEQ to set things right again.
tanman likes this.

post #4662 of 4668 Old 10-21-2019, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 332
^^ You the man Dave Vaughn. I thought the guy with home theater of the month who had 3 subs and that was plenty. I only have two but you beat all the systems with 5 subs that I've ever heard of or seen!
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #4663 of 4668 Old 10-21-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I think you'll be OK with what you've got. Is the room going to be treated as well? When you introduce a sub from a different manufacturer, the setup is much harder to achieve quality results (trust me, I have 5 subs in my system right now--SVS PC-Ultra, SVS SB-3000, HSU VTF-15H MK2, and stacked JL Audio d110s configured as a mid-bass module). In fact, a piece of furniture was recently added to the room and I can tell it changed something in my room and I have to spend a day with RoomEQ to set things right again.

Hi Dave. Yes the room will be treated. It’s about 20 feet by 18 feet. Hopefully the two JL Audio Fathom f113v2 will be sufficient - I didn’t think they would be. If I did need more, how do you determine which brand would blend the best ? Other than FR curves by the manufacturer and design (ported, sealed) there is not a lot to go by.

I have heard differing things about sub placement - most people seem to follow that paper by Floyd Toole. That said , would you recommend both sub at the front corners (or perhaps 1/4 of the front wall distance from the side wall)? Or one front center and one rear center ?
post #4664 of 4668 Old 10-21-2019, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Hi Dave. Yes the room will be treated. It’s about 20 feet by 18 feet. Hopefully the two JL Audio Fathom f113v2 will be sufficient - I didn’t think they would be. If I did need more, how do you determine which brand would blend the best ? Other than FR curves by the manufacturer and design (ported, sealed) there is not a lot to go by.

I have heard differing things about sub placement - most people seem to follow that paper by Floyd Toole. That said , would you recommend both sub at the front corners (or perhaps 1/4 of the front wall distance from the side wall)? Or one front center and one rear center ?
Do a sub crawl. Basically put your subs in, and do a bass test, and move the subs around according to where you still have vibration. Google it, I suck at trying to describe it hahaha.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

tv: Samsung UN75MU800, Receiver: Denon AVR 730H, speakers: 4x M&K S-1B and M&K S85c for center, sub: MKsound V12 HTPC, Samsung UBP-K8500, Rogers Digital PVR, Chromecast Ultra
post #4665 of 4668 Old 10-21-2019, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
Do a sub crawl. Basically put your subs in, and do a bass test, and move the subs around according to where you still have vibration. Google it, I suck at trying to describe it hahaha.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Every room is different. The sub crawl works good and once you find the good spots, then use instruments to dial everything in.

Floyd Toole's write up is a very good place to start.

post #4666 of 4668 Old Yesterday, 06:21 PM

While on the subject of subs has anyone had experience using XTZ Sub 12.17 Edge subwoofers with M&K S150mk2 speakers?

I really like the look of these subs but there is no distributor downunder. I could import a pair for similar money to a pair of SVS SB2000 but I would have to do so without first hearing them. There is also the issue of warranty should something go wrong. Ideally I would own a pair of X10's but they are out of my price range at the moment.
post #4667 of 4668 Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

The only reason for moving the S150T to the rears was to save on speaker costs as I would only need to purchase one set of MP150. The same is true for buying a new set of S150T but like you, I felt this would not be a good move considering the directionality requirement of Atmos.
Doesn’t the s150t in Tripole mode give you that side sound with out firing into your ear?
Allen
post #4668 of 4668 Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19 View Post
Quote:

Doesn’️t the s150t in Tripole mode give you that side sound with out firing into your ear?
Allen
Yes. The tripole provides a mix of diffuse and direct radiating sound. They are ideal for use as side surround speakers in a traditional surround sound system. They can also be used in an Atmos system, and this is what I will be doing initially, but they are less ideal here as the object based Atmos requires a more precise imaging than the triples provide.

The reason I'm using the S150T is that I already owned them for a 7.1 setup. My question was around which speaker to use for the front wides moving to a 9.1.6 system. Ultimately the MP150 is the better choice for Atmos in terms of imaging but there is a trade off with it being more locatible when mounted close to ones ear as you point out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Speaker Systems

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page