B&W Owner's Thread - Page 788 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1382Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #23611 of 27498 Old 06-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
advanced101101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by encaser View Post
As a recent purchaser of Classé pre and power amp and B&W 802 D3s I was wondering what speaker cable preferences and/or suggestions you guys have for this brand?
I realise it's a contentious area with those who believe a cable is a cable is a cable and laying down more than 'X' bucks is simply just to further snake oil vendors.
However, all opinions welcomed.
Thanks.
Ill Play

Wireworld Eclipse 7 Bi-wire
ToeJam-NR5007 likes this.
advanced101101 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #23612 of 27498 Old 06-02-2016, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by encaser View Post
As a recent purchaser of Classé pre and power amp and B&W 802 D3s I was wondering what speaker cable preferences and/or suggestions you guys have for this brand?
I realise it's a contentious area with those who believe a cable is a cable is a cable and laying down more than 'X' bucks is simply just to further snake oil vendors.
However, all opinions welcomed.
Thanks.
How long of a run?
laserjock II is online now  
post #23613 of 27498 Old 06-02-2016, 11:37 AM
Member
 
encaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Old England
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
How long of a run?
2 meters each side.

Who's the daddy now???
encaser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #23614 of 27498 Old 06-02-2016, 12:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dschulz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,024
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by encaser View Post
As a recent purchaser of Classé pre and power amp and B&W 802 D3s I was wondering what speaker cable preferences and/or suggestions you guys have for this brand?
I realise it's a contentious area with those who believe a cable is a cable is a cable and laying down more than 'X' bucks is simply just to further snake oil vendors.
However, all opinions welcomed.
Thanks.
Blue Jeans Cable with the locking banana plugs.
dschulz is offline  
post #23615 of 27498 Old 06-02-2016, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,600
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by encaser View Post
2 meters each side.
Pretty much anything of decent quality will work for that distance.
Budget and cosmetics plus placebo all play a roll in your decision.

I'm going to DIY some of these.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/Low-Inductance-DIY-Speaker-Cables/
laserjock II is online now  
post #23616 of 27498 Old 06-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Member
 
ToeJam-NR5007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Welcome aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivhifi View Post
Not sur eIf I belong to this thread or not, but I'm the proud owner of the B&W in wall speakers for y home theatre room. i believe I have the 7.4 for the LCR and the CMW 664 for the surrounds. They are powerful and pretty good for the average sized HT.
You belong merely by wanting to, but owning B&W makes it official.

I'm running 7.1 with the 800 series floor standing models (except the center). I'm in the planning stages of a dedicated theater room and considering their in wall speakers for that.

Glad to hear you are pleased with your choice.

Last edited by ToeJam-NR5007; 06-02-2016 at 07:41 PM.
ToeJam-NR5007 is offline  
post #23617 of 27498 Old 06-02-2016, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
luisev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by encaser View Post
As a recent purchaser of Classé pre and power amp and B&W 802 D3s I was wondering what speaker cable preferences and/or suggestions you guys have for this brand?
I realise it's a contentious area with those who believe a cable is a cable is a cable and laying down more than 'X' bucks is simply just to further snake oil vendors.
However, all opinions welcomed.
Thanks.
Just my opinion and my experience... I was a Kimber Kable 8TC user with my B&Ws, VTL ST-85, Audible Illusions M3a Preamp and Anthem CD-1 player. Long story short... I tried the Canare 4S11 cable (from BlueJeans) in a bi-wire config (lost my binding post straps). After some listening tests my wife and I found no difference in sound quality, so the Canare cables stayed and I sold the Kimber Kables.

That being said... I don't condemn esoteric cables, but try it yourself. Get some good quality copper, not copper clad 14 - 12g cable (Mono-Price, Canare, Belkin, etc.) and perform some listening tests. If you hear a difference, then by all means purchase the esoteric cable. If not, then you owe me a beer.

Just curious... do the recording studios use esoteric cables throughout their studios? Not sure.

BTW I used to use Kimber Silver Streak interconnects as well... used to.

DIYSG 893 | Emotiva ERD-1 | Dual DIY 18" Subs
Emotiva XMC-1 | XPA-2 | XPA-5 | Dual Crown XLS 2502
Samsung 58" Plasma | BenQ HT1075 100" Screen
Nvidia Shield | Oppo BDP-103 Bluray Player
luisev is offline  
post #23618 of 27498 Old 06-03-2016, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 5,702
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3435 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
I'll assume recording studios by pre-made XLR cables for most of their connections, mostly because no one has the time to make them. I doubt they seek out the more expensive high-end brands, but would accept them if given in exchange for "promotional considerations."

I use my own homemade speaker cables, but haven't made interconnects. Yet. I use whatever came with the equipment. I buy the Toslink F/O cables at the discount appliance/electronics joint down the street. I do own one pair of Audioquest "Sidewinder" interconnects that I bought for about $45 back in the late 1990's, only because I have them and Audioquest recently fixed them under their lifetime warranty. I am grateful that they honored the policy.

It is an endless debate, and no clear answer has or will ever applied to all listeners. Some folk insist high end cables are better, some insist there's no difference. If I had the resources to own a pair of 802D3's I'd also want something reasonably good looking (yet functional) to connect them. I wouldn't use 16 gauge zip cord any more than I'd connect them to a 1964 Philco console stereo.
luisev and ToeJam-NR5007 like this.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #23619 of 27498 Old 06-03-2016, 07:27 AM
Member
 
encaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Old England
Posts: 81
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks for the replies. I've decided to go with good old copper. Van Damme do a reasonably priced product that's respected. If it's good enough for the BBC, Abbey Road Studios then it should do me - and if not, it's not a great loss financially. I can live without some exotic looking snakes feeding off my speakers with a price tag to match. I'll let the sound be any focus point of conversation.
Thanks again.

And louisev, have a case on me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer.gif
Views:	89
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1475609  
luisev and gonzlobo like this.

Who's the daddy now???
encaser is offline  
post #23620 of 27498 Old 06-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Butler View Post
Hi Rick334443,

Another option would be to pair a multi-channel amplifier with your existing receiver. This would meet the requirements of your budget and more than likely get you a much better amplifier than the one built into your receiver. My natural bias would be to recommend a Rotel amplifier.

Regards,

Patrick
Thank you Patrick. I cannot PM you (not enough posts), so maybe you can PM me with a quick recommendation of which Rotel amplifier you would recommend and a quick (I am pretty handy) instruction how I would hook it up to my current AVR. Thanks so much!
Rick334443 is offline  
post #23621 of 27498 Old 06-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
 
citsur86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southern NJ
Posts: 3,131
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1988 Post(s)
Liked: 973
I currently have 2 front B&W 684 S1, a Proficient Signature Series GL6 6.5" Dual Woofer LCR for my center, and some very sub-par HTIB Yamaha speakers for my Subwoofer, surrounds, and rears. I'm looking to upgrade the Yamaha HTIB set to better speakers, preferably B&W but not tied down to them. Anyone know what speakers I could get the most bang for my buck with as far as Rears, Surrounds, and SW go - that might also pair up well with the 684 fronts?
citsur86 is offline  
post #23622 of 27498 Old 06-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Instead of beautiful speaker shots... I give you dull shots of the boxes

My B&W's 800 D2's are finally ready to be installed in the new home theater. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I ordered everything right before the new D3's were announced last summer and the construction did not go as planned so these have sat in boxes since then. I've listened to the D3's and had the option of trading over to them but decided to stay with what I have. I'm also looking forward to hearing how the DB1's stack up against offerings from JL Audio and will give my impressions on them.
pushtiulk likes this.

Last edited by Starkrace; 11-23-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Starkrace is offline  
post #23623 of 27498 Old 06-03-2016, 02:30 PM
Member
 
gonzlobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
I currently have 2 front B&W 684 S1, a Proficient Signature Series GL6 6.5" Dual Woofer LCR for my center, and some very sub-par HTIB Yamaha speakers for my Subwoofer, surrounds, and rears. I'm looking to upgrade the Yamaha HTIB set to better speakers, preferably B&W but not tied down to them. Anyone know what speakers I could get the most bang for my buck with as far as Rears, Surrounds, and SW go - that might also pair up well with the 684 fronts?
I started with 685s as my fronts, bought 683s and moved the 685s aft. B&W also makes 686s (which are smaller than 685s), but if you're sticking with B&W, 685s are in your range.

-The other poor 600-series guy. ;-)

Denon AVR-X3200W
B&W 683s1/685s1/HTM61s1 (FL/FR/SL/SR/C), Klipsch RP-140SA (Atmos)
Paradigm DSP-3100 v2 (Sub)
Oppo 103 / Roku3
Panasonic TC-P60ST50
gonzlobo is offline  
post #23624 of 27498 Old 06-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Newbie
 
tinphan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking to upgrade from 685 to CM6 (use with SB2000) so now deciding on amp. Strictly for music and source from PC. Looking at Rotel 1570 or PM8005. Any thought on these amp?

Last edited by tinphan; 06-03-2016 at 11:47 PM.
tinphan is offline  
post #23625 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,321
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkrace View Post
Instead of beautiful speaker shots... I give you dull shots of the boxes

My B&W's 800 D2's are finally ready to be installed in the new home theater. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I ordered everything right before the new D3's were announced last summer and the construction did not go as planned so these have sat in boxes since then. I've listened to the D3's and had the option of trading over to them but decided to stay with what I have. I'm also looking forward to hearing how the DB1's stack up against offerings from JL Audio and will give my impressions on them.
The 800 D2 series boxes are prettier than the actual D3 speakers anyways

So I can see 2 800's, 1 802 (I assume there is a 2nd?), 2 DB1 boxes and some NAD electronics boxes. What are you using for a center?

Rod#S is offline  
post #23626 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 08:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
The 800 D2 series boxes are prettier than the actual D3 speakers anyways

So I can see 2 800's, 1 802 (I assume there is a 2nd?), 2 DB1 boxes and some NAD electronics boxes. What are you using for a center?
I was expecting a bit more from the D3 in the looks department, especially the flagship. I'm using 3x 800's upfront, 802's surround, and 805's as rear. I used the CCM 8.5 as atmos ceiling speakers.

I'm not sure if I'll keep the rears as I'm testing an atmos 7.1.4 setup vs a 5.1.6 because my processor is limited to 12 discreet channels. Things have been loosely setup now but I will say Auro up mixing for music is amazing.
Starkrace is offline  
post #23627 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jon Middleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by encaser View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've decided to go with good old copper. Van Damme do a reasonably priced product that's respected. If it's good enough for the BBC, Abbey Road Studios then it should do me - and if not, it's not a great loss financially. I can live without some exotic looking snakes feeding off my speakers with a price tag to match. I'll let the sound be any focus point of conversation.
Thanks again.

And louisev, have a case on me
I'm running Home Depot 12 gauge copper wire. Just bare wire from my Bryston amp. My dealer threw in some banana plugs for my 800D2s when he delivered them. I bought some OFC stuff from Monoprice, but haven't installed it yet. No hurry, the HD stuff sounds great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkrace View Post
Instead of beautiful speaker shots... I give you dull shots of the boxes

My B&W's 800 D2's are finally ready to be installed in the new home theater. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I ordered everything right before the new D3's were announced last summer and the construction did not go as planned so these have sat in boxes since then. I've listened to the D3's and had the option of trading over to them but decided to stay with what I have. I'm also looking forward to hearing how the DB1's stack up against offerings from JL Audio and will give my impressions on them.
I think you're making the right decision. The D2s are great speakers. I wonder how many people, given the choice between NIB, discounted D2s vs new D3s would make the same decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
The 800 D2 series boxes are prettier than the actual D3 speakers anyways
That's cold, Rod. Funny, but cold. Time will tell us how well the two series age. New is always exciting, but the D3s do look a bit awkward.
Jon Middleton is offline  
post #23628 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,321
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post
That's cold, Rod. Funny, but cold. Time will tell us how well the two series age. New is always exciting, but the D3s do look a bit awkward.
Can't help it, the D3's to me look like someone beat them with an ugly stick. Perhaps B&W will come to their senses when the D4's are released and tweak the looks again and also hopefully by then they can ditch the remaining wood used in the matrix for all aluminum. The price of working with that is coming down all the time and may be feasible for them at that time to keep a similar price point. But I guess once you start going down the path of huge price increases like with the D3's vs D2's it's hard to stop so maybe it won't matter so much about the price and they would have no issues going from $30k up to $40k for 800D4's. It's a slippery slope.

Rod#S is offline  
post #23629 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,321
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'll refine my ugly stick remarks the 803's, 802's and 800's are what I think are ugly, the other speakers look just fine to me.

Rod#S is offline  
post #23630 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jon Middleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Can't help it, the D3's to me look like someone beat them with an ugly stick. Perhaps B&W will come to their senses when the D4's are released and tweak the looks again and also hopefully by then they can ditch the remaining wood used in the matrix for all aluminum. The price of working with that is coming down all the time and may be feasible for them at that time to keep a similar price point. But I guess once you start going down the path of huge price increases like with the D3's vs D2's it's hard to stop so maybe it won't matter so much about the price and they would have no issues going from $30k up to $40k for 800D4's. It's a slippery slope.
I also prefer the looks of the D2s over the D3s, and I don't think it's just because I own the former. I disagree about the matrix material, however. It's not clear to me that aluminum offers any real advantage over wood. Plywood, especially under climate controlled conditions, is very dimensionally stable and arguably more sonically inert than aluminum.
Jon Middleton is offline  
post #23631 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 03:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
I'll refine my ugly stick remarks the 803's, 802's and 800's are what I think are ugly, the other speakers look just fine to me.
Really? So you would say I have an ugly set-up? I think they look very nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0228.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	1478489  
Bob852 is offline  
post #23632 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Member
 
ice cube's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have DB1 Subwoofer connected to my PC. My Q is, Do I have to turn off the audyssey.

Please, if you can guide me to how to use the subApp it would be appreciated.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ice cube is online now  
post #23633 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,321
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob852 View Post
Really? So you would say I have an ugly set-up? I think they look very nice.
Beauty is entirely in the eye of the beholder I'm afraid, they just can't win me over no matter the angle I'm afraid but I see no reason why they shouldn't outperform their predecessors. That doesn't have anything to do with the looks.

Rod#S is offline  
post #23634 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
DonH50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Monument CO
Posts: 12,331
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3271 Post(s)
Liked: 3351
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice cube View Post
I have DB1 Subwoofer connected to my PC. My Q is, Do I have to turn off the audyssey.

Please, if you can guide me to how to use the subApp it would be appreciated.

The usual advice is to first run the subwoofer's setup routine without Audyssey, then run Audyssey normally. This allows Audyssey to take advantage of the subwoofer's program (educing the amount of processing Audyssey must do) whilst still allowing it to optimize the other speakers and properly integrate the sub with them.

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
DonH50 is offline  
post #23635 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
Beauty is entirely in the eye of the beholder I'm afraid, they just can't win me over no matter the angle I'm afraid but I see no reason why they shouldn't outperform their predecessors. That doesn't have anything to do with the looks.
I am completely dumbfounded....
Bob852 is offline  
post #23636 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 08:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,321
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob852 View Post
I am completely dumbfounded....
I was just saying no matter the angle of any picture I have seen to date I just don't care for the looks. I was also saying even though I don't like the look I can appreciate that advances were made on the performance front.

Rod#S is offline  
post #23637 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jon Middleton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: SLC, UT
Posts: 587
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
I was just saying no matter the angle of any picture I have seen to date I just don't care for the looks. I was also saying even though I don't like the look I can appreciate that advances were made on the performance front.
I'm just a bit skeptical. Love to see a true DBT for the 800D, 800D2 and 800D3.
Jon Middleton is offline  
post #23638 of 27498 Old 06-04-2016, 11:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post
I was just saying no matter the angle of any picture I have seen to date I just don't care for the looks. I was also saying even though I don't like the look I can appreciate that advances were made on the performance front.
No need to say the say the same thing twice. I said dumbfounded as in startled or surprised - not that I did not understand your comment.

I posted a photo of my system because I have worked long and hard and I am proud of what I have been able to pull together in the last year. I was just startled (dumbfounded) that on an enthusiasts forum a member would post a photo of their system and the response would be in effect "I dont care what angle you take the photo your system is ugly".

Sorry, I just think that is very rude.
Bob852 is offline  
post #23639 of 27498 Old 06-05-2016, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,321
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob852 View Post
No need to say the say the same thing twice. I said dumbfounded as in startled or surprised - not that I did not understand your comment.

I posted a photo of my system because I have worked long and hard and I am proud of what I have been able to pull together in the last year. I was just startled (dumbfounded) that on an enthusiasts forum a member would post a photo of their system and the response would be in effect "I dont care what angle you take the photo your system is ugly".

Sorry, I just think that is very rude.
I never once said your system and room is ugly, recheck my posts, you are saying that I did but I have said nothing rude about your system. I have only been limiting my comments to the speakers and it doesn't matter where the speakers are placed and the picture taken, this has nothing to do with your system other than, if you want to go that far then yes, the speakers you have chosen are ugly. Don't be so sensitive, we are B&W owners, the looks don't appeal to everyone, I have the D2 series and believe me many don't like the looks of those. I take nothing personal about that or likewise comments about other components in my system people don't find cosmetically appealing in comparison to other items by different manufacturers.

Rod#S is offline  
post #23640 of 27498 Old 06-05-2016, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Rod#S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 2,321
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Middleton View Post
I'm just a bit skeptical. Love to see a true DBT for the 800D, 800D2 and 800D3.
From a purely measurement perspective B&W has already showed there are differences but that of course doesn't necessarily translate into audible differences. However simply given the different cabinet design with the D3 I would think one could pick out differences there.

Unfortunately a DBT of the 3 would be very difficult given the size of the 800's and the amount of floor space they take up if all setup together. So if all 3 were arranged for a blind listening test a person may be able to pick out the different imaging width's of the speakers so that they could potentially pick up on which speaker pair is playing so that could lead to consistency in picking out a particular speaker each time. Also do to how much difference there would be in positioning at least one pair if not 2 may be severely compromised for optimal performance which negatively impacts results and this may sway people to continually pick just 1, possibly 2 pairs and never the 3rd.

Rod#S is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off