B&W Owner's Thread - Page 865 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1567Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #25921 of 28103 Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 AM
Senior Member
 
magicvinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belgium
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpauline View Post
Congratulations on the new 805D3's. I think the reason that I did not rate them higher is that I am not very accustomed to the sound of bookshelf speakers. I like the increased cabinet volume dynamics of floor standing speakers. I actually thought that the 805D3's sounded great when it comes to revealing details from the tweeter. I listened to 805D3's all weekend at my house. Really great when it comes to guitar sounds, cymbals, etc. Just needs more dynamic range for me given that my main purpose is for home theater.
I'm having the same issue. I have a 4.1 set up in my living room, 805D3 and for surrounds CCM Cinema 7 + a PV1D sub with Lyngdorf amplifiers.

I feel like the speakers lack dynamics. I'm only watching movies and start to realise these are maybe not the best speakers for movies. When there is music in movies then you really start to hear what these speakers are capable of.

I'm now starting to look other brands. I don't know if somebody knows the brand Arendal Sound, A Norwegian company. They seem to get a lot of praise for they're speakers.
magicvinny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #25922 of 28103 Old 02-06-2018, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi Experts,

My dealer suggesting to have 2 ideal sub's instead of one front wall and back wall, Do you think is it correct? and 2 subs sounds better than one, My room size is Length 18 X 10 feet Width. I would appreciate your thoughts.
gakbw is offline  
post #25923 of 28103 Old 02-06-2018, 04:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny View Post
I'm having the same issue. I have a 4.1 set up in my living room, 805D3 and for surrounds CCM Cinema 7 + a PV1D sub with Lyngdorf amplifiers.

I feel like the speakers lack dynamics. I'm only watching movies and start to realise these are maybe not the best speakers for movies. When there is music in movies then you really start to hear what these speakers are capable of.

I'm now starting to look other brands. I don't know if somebody knows the brand Arendal Sound, A Norwegian company. They seem to get a lot of praise for they're speakers.
What's the pre-amp? Is it something that has room correction (e.g. Audyssey)? Pretty surprising that you don't think they're dynamic (they other guy was really comparing against the 803 D3, which isn't really fair). Is it a huge room?
Firstorlast is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #25924 of 28103 Old 02-06-2018, 05:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,094
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6764 Post(s)
Liked: 4870
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny View Post
I'm having the same issue. I have a 4.1 set up in my living room, 805D3 and for surrounds CCM Cinema 7 + a PV1D sub with Lyngdorf amplifiers.

I feel like the speakers lack dynamics. I'm only watching movies and start to realise these are maybe not the best speakers for movies. When there is music in movies then you really start to hear what these speakers are capable of.

I'm now starting to look other brands. I don't know if somebody knows the brand Arendal Sound, A Norwegian company. They seem to get a lot of praise for they're speakers.
Perhaps 702s2 is a better fit?

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
markmon1 is online now  
post #25925 of 28103 Old 02-06-2018, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
magicvinny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Belgium
Posts: 211
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstorlast View Post
What's the pre-amp? Is it something that has room correction (e.g. Audyssey)? Pretty surprising that you don't think they're dynamic (they other guy was really comparing against the 803 D3, which isn't really fair). Is it a huge room?
I'm using 2 Lyngdorf TDAI 2170's. One for L/R and one for the surrounds.

So this is my set up:

Oppo 203(analogue out) ->TDAI 2170 -> SDA 2400 -> B&W 805D3
TDAI 2170 -> B&W CCM Cinema 7

Lyngdorf is using RoomPerfect as room correction. It's considererd one of the best room correction systems. I have an open living room together with kitchen and dining area. The living room itself is about 5m x 5m, not small but not huge either.

I guess B&W in general is not known for having dynamic speakers besides the CT 800 series wich I used in a dedicated HT. The only problem is that the CT series is not really suitable for a living room space, WAF!!!
magicvinny is offline  
post #25926 of 28103 Old 02-07-2018, 05:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,094
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6764 Post(s)
Liked: 4870
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicvinny View Post

I guess B&W in general is not known for having dynamic speakers besides the CT 800 series wich I used in a dedicated HT. The only problem is that the CT series is not really suitable for a living room space, WAF!!!
Super disagree with this. My B&W setup is extremely dynamic. It's possible that the 805d3 monitor's just don't provide the oomph you want. They do great for surround speakers in my system but for main left/right fronts I do feel they're slightly lacking also. But lack of dynamics is not a trait associated with B&W speakers.
mpauline and KenM10759 like this.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
markmon1 is online now  
post #25927 of 28103 Old 02-08-2018, 02:01 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I like to have some advice from the B&W community
The reason is that I want to upgrade my older surround system in order to listen mostly to multichannel music, especially SACD with classical music. I would keep occasional HT use though.

My current surround speaker system:
Front: B&W 805S
Center: Mission 7C
Surround: B&W M1
Sub: B&W ASW 610

Electronics:
Denon DVD 3910
Denon AVR 3805
Classé CAP 151

For stereo classical music, the combination of 805S with both the Classé amp and Denon AVR works quite well for my not anymore so young ears. I feel no need to upgrade to the expensive 805D.

The problem is more that I have difficulty in getting matched center and surround speakers say
HTM4s and SCMS, from reading the first 140 pages of this thread.
The available height of 21 cm on a shelve limits my choices for a center: I have little possibility to change this.
HTM4s and 805S (on its side) both exceed this. The SCMS is out of production, and on the second hand market they are rather scarce. I see 805S regularly put up for sale.

The question is what would be reasonable alternatives these days? I would like to remain with B&W.
For instance, I could fit a 685 S2 on its side on a shelve as a center, as well as use these as surrounds.
Also the HTM62 S2 would fit. The HTM71 S2 is just too high by a few cm.
I know, this is rather suboptimal but which speaker would be the more musical one and "best" match with 805S?
An 805S as upright center in front of the TV flatscreen and audio system would cause obstruction of view when in HT mode.

Any other possible options?

Thanks

Last edited by Kor010; 02-08-2018 at 02:05 AM.
Kor010 is offline  
post #25928 of 28103 Old 02-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member
 
JediFonger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 944
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 57
@chulo_d
^i'll second what he already wrote, but at the end of the day it's what you like the best. nothing like sitting down with your most familiar recordings and playing back to see what the differences are.

to me B&W takes me to new details that i've not heard before with recordings that i'm familiar with when i demo around.

you didn't write what you'll be driving your speakers with... but to me (especially the 700 series) the more powerful the amp is the better they will sound.

if you have AVR and will never upgrade to dedicated amps... then 600 series will be acceptable. but to me what really makes any speaker (B&W or not) really hit their max potential is the dedicated amps.

i've got a 703S1 myself and have tested it with dedicated amps and it really takes you to the next level.... so i'm still saving up $ for that. currently i'm driving it with an older Denon AVR 4308ci


Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dflyer View Post
Due to low WAF associated with the physical size of the GoldenEar Triton 5 I was considering, the dealer I'm working with suggested I consider and listen to B&W 683 S2 and 704 S2 for their relatively small form factor. I'm relatively new to the subject of audiophile quality speakers and know nothing about B&W other than the basic impression they're relatively expensive which I assume is indicative of equally relative quality so I have 3 questions

First question is what is it about B&W in general that makes them a desirable brand? What are they known for?

Second question is a comparison of the 683 S2 and 704 S2. The spec sheets show differences in drivers (carbon v Al tweeter, continuum vs kevlar mids, Aerofoil v Al bass) all of which is Japanese to me but I assume relates to material weight / stiffness for clarity / precision. Is this correct? Are there other basic differences between the 600 and 700 series that result in audible differences? Most of my listening and what I'm most interested in, including HT, is relatively low volume performance.

Any thoughts or experience how the 704 S2 compares to Triton 5?

My baseline / fallback speaker choice is the Triton 7, which I've heard and liked a lot. I'll listen to it again next to the 683 S2 and 704 S2.

Thank you.

i host a silent film podcast here:
https://anchor.fm/watchingsilentfilms
^that or everywhere podcasts are found. or find out where else here:
https://watchingsilentfilms.wordpress.com/
JediFonger is offline  
post #25929 of 28103 Old 02-08-2018, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
GaryWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just got my 705 S2?s. But... the tweeter on top seems to be crooked on both speakers, and there are scratches on the piano finish. Is this normal? I bought them new. Is this something I should go back and change out?

Thanks all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F87B95B3-DC63-442A-8AF8-E5B70D443C81_1518133538123.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	2358036   Click image for larger version

Name:	0FFF98CA-9747-4750-BA7C-F933A43C04B7_1518133557940.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	2358038  

TV setup:
Sony XBR65A1E | Oppo UDP-205 | Pioneer SC-1222-K | B&W 705 S2 | B&W HTM72 S2 | Paradigm Inspiration Bookshelves
2 Channel setup:
McIntosh C50 | McIntosh MC275 | Focal Electra 1038Be
GaryWA is offline  
post #25930 of 28103 Old 02-08-2018, 06:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,094
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6764 Post(s)
Liked: 4870
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post
Just got my 705 S2?s. But... the tweeter on top seems to be crooked on both speakers, and there are scratches on the piano finish. Is this normal? I bought them new. Is this something I should go back and change out?

Thanks all.
Those pictures look ok to me. However, if the scratches bug you I guess return them. The tweeters are sort of loose and can be moved/wiggled. I think that's normal. So you should decide if you're ok with the scratches or not. I can't even see those scratches in the up close photos. How do they sound?

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
markmon1 is online now  
post #25931 of 28103 Old 02-08-2018, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
KenM10759's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Central MA USA
Posts: 6,043
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3656 Post(s)
Liked: 2103
The scratches are very fine "spiderwebbing" that anyone into car detailing strives to eliminate.

They are seen as the point light source diffuses.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, E.A.T. C-Major TT w/Ortofon Quintet Blue cart.
KenM10759 is offline  
post #25932 of 28103 Old 02-08-2018, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
audiomanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hi all,

In about week I will be receiving the 702 S2's and the HTM17 S2 centre speaker. I currently am upgrading from the discontinued CM series line of speakers. I still have a CM6 S2 for rears and CM1 S2's for back surrounds.
Would I notice and significant differences front to back and back to front with the different speakers or would it still blend fairly evenly with each other. This is only until I can afford the 705 S2 and the 707 S2 to complete the back end. Are the stands for the 705 S2's the same stand used for the CM series?

Any advice and setup tips are welcome as well as comments on if I would hear a difference with the 700 series in front and CM series in the back. Thanks in advance.

Audiomanz
audiomanz is offline  
post #25933 of 28103 Old 02-08-2018, 08:54 PM
Senior Member
 
GaryWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post
Just got my 705 S2?s. But... the tweeter on top seems to be crooked on both speakers, and there are scratches on the piano finish. Is this normal? I bought them new. Is this something I should go back and change out?

Thanks all.
Those pictures look ok to me. However, if the scratches bug you I guess return them. The tweeters are sort of loose and can be moved/wiggled. I think that's normal. So you should decide if you're ok with the scratches or not. I can't even see those scratches in the up close photos. How do they sound?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
The scratches are very fine "spiderwebbing" that anyone into car detailing strives to eliminate.

They are seen as the point light source diffuses.
So all good then? Should I twist the tweeter until it?s straight?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57423529-7A0B-423A-A990-D2194695FCC5_1518152039518.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	2358112   Click image for larger version

Name:	8690568F-5CAF-4AE6-848E-15DB5682591D_1518152052760.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	2358114  

TV setup:
Sony XBR65A1E | Oppo UDP-205 | Pioneer SC-1222-K | B&W 705 S2 | B&W HTM72 S2 | Paradigm Inspiration Bookshelves
2 Channel setup:
McIntosh C50 | McIntosh MC275 | Focal Electra 1038Be
GaryWA is offline  
post #25934 of 28103 Old 02-08-2018, 09:15 PM
Senior Member
 
GaryWA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenM10759 View Post
The scratches are very fine "spiderwebbing" that anyone into car detailing strives to eliminate.

They are seen as the point light source diffuses.
Is it normal to have them already present on brand new speakers? I know the battle well on cars but not on speakers.

TV setup:
Sony XBR65A1E | Oppo UDP-205 | Pioneer SC-1222-K | B&W 705 S2 | B&W HTM72 S2 | Paradigm Inspiration Bookshelves
2 Channel setup:
McIntosh C50 | McIntosh MC275 | Focal Electra 1038Be
GaryWA is offline  
post #25935 of 28103 Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 PM
Member
 
2dflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
@chulo_d

you didn't write what you'll be driving your speakers with... but to me (especially the 700 series) the more powerful the amp is the better they will sound.

if you have AVR and will never upgrade to dedicated amps... then 600 series will be acceptable. but to me what really makes any speaker (B&W or not) really hit their max potential is the dedicated amps.

i've got a 703S1 myself and have tested it with dedicated amps and it really takes you to the next level.... so I'm still saving up $ for that. currently i'm driving it with an older Denon AVR 4308ci
Yep. Only leaving out the important stuff. I've read amp choice is more critical with these speakers than others - at least with the 700s. I'm planning either an Anthem MRX520 (100 WPC) or 720 (140 WPC). I don't need most of what the 720 will do but the extra 40 WPC would come in handy with these. That said I'd rarely, if ever, run them loud enough to rattle the windows.
2dflyer is offline  
post #25936 of 28103 Old 02-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Newbie789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 572
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWA View Post
Just got my 705 S2?s. But... the tweeter on top seems to be crooked on both speakers, and there are scratches on the piano finish. Is this normal? I bought them new. Is this something I should go back and change out?

Thanks all.


I had crooked tweeters on my cm6s2. I exchanged them for new ones. If you're okay with the scratches then just grab them and twist them to straight. They are very durable.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newbie789 is offline  
post #25937 of 28103 Old 02-09-2018, 03:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,094
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6764 Post(s)
Liked: 4870
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomanz View Post
Hi all,

In about week I will be receiving the 702 S2's and the HTM17 S2 centre speaker. I currently am upgrading from the discontinued CM series line of speakers. I still have a CM6 S2 for rears and CM1 S2's for back surrounds.
Would I notice and significant differences front to back and back to front with the different speakers or would it still blend fairly evenly with each other. This is only until I can afford the 705 S2 and the 707 S2 to complete the back end. Are the stands for the 705 S2's the same stand used for the CM series?

Any advice and setup tips are welcome as well as comments on if I would hear a difference with the 700 series in front and CM series in the back. Thanks in advance.

Audiomanz
Your CM's should blend well enough with the 702's for theater. I wouldn't worry.
However, for the price of 705s2 + 707s2, you can probably get 703s2 and go 5.1 with better overall quality. When I put my 802d3's in front then had to figure out how to upgrade my rear 4 speakers, I went with 805d3's for rears and nothing else. Going from 7.1 to 5.1 was unnoticeable in my 12x21 room and because I was funding only 2 speakers rather than 4, I ended up with something that sounds tons better. To be honest, ambiance is equal or better than it was. I think 5.1 is fine and for atmos 5.1.4 is fine.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
markmon1 is online now  
post #25938 of 28103 Old 02-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi B&W guys and hello to the people of AVSforum. I have a technical question. I recently purchased a pair of CM5s from Audiogon and it appears the tweeters are not working. I tried multiple troubleshooting methods and basically if I attach wire from my amp to the HF binding posts there is no sound. The guy is refunding me my money and letting me keep the speakers so I have some money to spend on replacement tweeters or a crossover. My question is, how do I go about diagnosing whether it is the tweeters or the crossover that needs to be replaced. Along those lines, if I were to get new parts could I use the parts for the CM S2 speakers? I know that may be unlikely but the crossover for the s2 is actually cheaper on the parts website than the regular CM5.
Squidmaster7 is online now  
post #25939 of 28103 Old 02-09-2018, 09:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmaster7 View Post
Hi B&W guys and hello to the people of AVSforum. I have a technical question. I recently purchased a pair of CM5s from Audiogon and it appears the tweeters are not working. I tried multiple troubleshooting methods and basically if I attach wire from my amp to the HF binding posts there is no sound. The guy is refunding me my money and letting me keep the speakers so I have some money to spend on replacement tweeters or a crossover. My question is, how do I go about diagnosing whether it is the tweeters or the crossover that needs to be replaced. Along those lines, if I were to get new parts could I use the parts for the CM S2 speakers? I know that may be unlikely but the crossover for the s2 is actually cheaper on the parts website than the regular CM5.
Maybe they know in the DIY subforum?
Firstorlast is offline  
post #25940 of 28103 Old 02-09-2018, 12:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My 805 D3s should arrive in the next week, and I've ordered the Rotel 1582 amp to go with it. This is what they used in Magnolia with it, and I loved the sound. Quick question, though. It's a 2x200W amp, and the speakers are 120W. How do I ensure that I don't blow up the speakers? Is it just avoiding turning the volume up too high, or something else? I'll be using a Marantz 7703 pre feeding balanced XLR into the Rotel. Thanks!
Firstorlast is offline  
post #25941 of 28103 Old 02-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Member
 
2dflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
704 S2 or CM9 Dlr Demo?

Is the 700 series worth waiting for? My preference would be a 704 S2. The size is better and is at the top end of budget. But the local dealer offered their CM9 demos at about $250 less than 704 S2 retail. So new smaller model with improved drivers or older larger for less money? I've listened to the CM9 today but haven't heard the 704 S2.

Thanks
2dflyer is offline  
post #25942 of 28103 Old 02-09-2018, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laserjock II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Texas Coast
Posts: 2,709
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1371 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dflyer View Post
Is the 700 series worth waiting for? My preference would be a 704 S2. The size is better and is at the top end of budget. But the local dealer offered their CM9 demos at about $250 less than 704 S2 retail. So new smaller model with improved drivers or older larger for less money? I've listened to the CM9 today but haven't heard the 704 S2.

Thanks
Wait it out
gordojones88 likes this.
laserjock II is offline  
post #25943 of 28103 Old 02-09-2018, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
markmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,094
Mentioned: 162 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6764 Post(s)
Liked: 4870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstorlast View Post
My 805 D3s should arrive in the next week, and I've ordered the Rotel 1582 amp to go with it. This is what they used in Magnolia with it, and I loved the sound. Quick question, though. It's a 2x200W amp, and the speakers are 120W. How do I ensure that I don't blow up the speakers? Is it just avoiding turning the volume up too high, or something else? I'll be using a Marantz 7703 pre feeding balanced XLR into the Rotel. Thanks!
You generally blow speakers by providing it unclean or distorted sound. Clean sound is generally not what blows your speakers. I wouldn't worry about this pairing. Look at it this way. If you listen at a specific loud volume, a 200 watt amp is more likely to produce that with clean sound which is less dangerous than a 100 amp trying to produce that volume where it might distort a bit. I have McIntosh amps with meters on them. I was cranking my system when I first got them and was wondering how close i was getting to my 300 watts per channel. I thought I might be getting close so I went and checked while it was playing. I was barely using 1 watt it was crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dflyer View Post
Is the 700 series worth waiting for? My preference would be a 704 S2. The size is better and is at the top end of budget. But the local dealer offered their CM9 demos at about $250 less than 704 S2 retail. So new smaller model with improved drivers or older larger for less money? I've listened to the CM9 today but haven't heard the 704 S2.

Thanks
The difference between the 704s2 and cm9 is huge. Wait it out.

JVC Control - my software for controlling JVC projector via IP control.
Smart Masking - See my automatic smart screen masking system.
JVC IR Codes - free online pronto code converter for JVC IR codes.
markmon1 is online now  
post #25944 of 28103 Old 02-09-2018, 08:53 PM
Senior Member
 
audiomanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Your CM's should blend well enough with the 702's for theater. I wouldn't worry.
However, for the price of 705s2 + 707s2, you can probably get 703s2 and go 5.1 with better overall quality. When I put my 802d3's in front then had to figure out how to upgrade my rear 4 speakers, I went with 805d3's for rears and nothing else. Going from 7.1 to 5.1 was unnoticeable in my 12x21 room and because I was funding only 2 speakers rather than 4, I ended up with something that sounds tons better. To be honest, ambiance is equal or better than it was. I think 5.1 is fine and for atmos 5.1.4 is fine.

Thanks markmon1. You have a killer system there. That is my dream theatre to at least own a pair of 804D3's for fronts the matching centre and 4 805D3's. Right now though I'm happy with my 7.2 setup. I think it opens up the soundfield wider and I have quite a few blu rays that have 7.1 surround encoded on them. Also if you are watching a Dolby Atmos encoded disc it defaults to DolbyTrue HD 7.1. As for Atmos its not in the cards right now as my apartment is too old to be installing ceiling speakers. So I'll keep it at 7.2 and thanks for your comment as well that it should blend in nicely and the difference wont be too noticeable. As much as I like the CM series line I went to my dealer and had a listen to the 702's and HTM71 S2 centre and the soundstage was magnificent so I went for the upgrade.

Audiomanz
audiomanz is offline  
post #25945 of 28103 Old 02-10-2018, 05:36 AM
Member
 
eternal camper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am an avid home theater guy and am looking to upgrade from my GoldenEar Triton Ones. Love movies and concert blu-rays.

I have the XXL center channel and find it to be not as clean as I would like.

I have 2 choices, one to go from the Ones to the GoldenEar Reference

or

found some used B&W so wish to

Upgrade Mains from Golden Ear Triton One to B&W Nautilus 800
Upgrade Centre from Golden Ear Supercentre XXL to B&W HTM1D


The challenge, in my eyes, with the 2nd choice is that I am using the Classé 5300 and would bi-amp my front L & R but only have 1 channel left to bi-amp the centre, so would have to get another 3-channel amp to run my lower part of the centre + my 2 rears, as I did not bi-amp the GE Ones, but feel that I should do for the Reference.


The B&W may be a little large for my room (14.5' x 23') but I will have front speakers that will be much more crisp than the Ones that I have now.


Hope to hear from a few GE or B&W fans very soon so I can make a decision


Steve
eternal camper is offline  
post #25946 of 28103 Old 02-10-2018, 07:18 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 189
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternal camper View Post
I am an avid home theater guy and am looking to upgrade from my GoldenEar Triton Ones. Love movies and concert blu-rays.

I have the XXL center channel and find it to be not as clean as I would like.

I have 2 choices, one to go from the Ones to the GoldenEar Reference

or

found some used B&W so wish to

Upgrade Mains from Golden Ear Triton One to B&W Nautilus 800
Upgrade Centre from Golden Ear Supercentre XXL to B&W HTM1D


The challenge, in my eyes, with the 2nd choice is that I am using the Classé 5300 and would bi-amp my front L & R but only have 1 channel left to bi-amp the centre, so would have to get another 3-channel amp to run my lower part of the centre + my 2 rears, as I did not bi-amp the GE Ones, but feel that I should do for the Reference.


The B&W may be a little large for my room (14.5' x 23') but I will have front speakers that will be much more crisp than the Ones that I have now.


Hope to hear from a few GE or B&W fans very soon so I can make a decision


Steve
Seems like you’ve generally got it pretty well thought out already. Based on having heard them, I’m not sure why you’re considering the older B&W instead of the 804 D3 which are the same price as the GE Reference. Also, unrelated, I’ve not tried it, but people report bi-wiring to not make a difference. If you can save the money there, you could also consider the wonderful 803 D3, though I’m not sure they sound much different than the 804.
Firstorlast is offline  
post #25947 of 28103 Old 02-10-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 3,299
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
B&W customer service/support - any good?

I sent them two emails on their site - one a week ago, another follow-up three days ago - and never got a response to either...


Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung Q90T/Q800T...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
New24K is offline  
post #25948 of 28103 Old 02-10-2018, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
CHASLS2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tampa FL area
Posts: 3,273
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
B&W customer service/support - any good?

I sent them two emails on their site - one a week ago, another follow-up three days ago - and never got a response to either...

Must be pretty bad.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
CHASLS2 is offline  
post #25949 of 28103 Old 02-10-2018, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
postrokfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ft. Collins, CO
Posts: 6,884
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked: 6968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidmaster7 View Post
Hi B&W guys and hello to the people of AVSforum. I have a technical question. I recently purchased a pair of CM5s from Audiogon and it appears the tweeters are not working. I tried multiple troubleshooting methods and basically if I attach wire from my amp to the HF binding posts there is no sound. The guy is refunding me my money and letting me keep the speakers so I have some money to spend on replacement tweeters or a crossover. My question is, how do I go about diagnosing whether it is the tweeters or the crossover that needs to be replaced. Along those lines, if I were to get new parts could I use the parts for the CM S2 speakers? I know that may be unlikely but the crossover for the s2 is actually cheaper on the parts website than the regular CM5.
You should still be able to get parts for the S1 speakers. I would not use the S2 parts as the S2 speakers were redesigned. First thing I would do is remove the terminal tray and physically inspect the crossover assembly. Both the tweeter and crossover are a fairly straightforward replacement. Also, the support site includes diagrams/manuals to assist in replacing parts.

http://www.bwgroupusa.com/bwgroup-pa...bs_attachments

2-channel: PSB Imagine T, Music Fidelity M2si, SVS SB-1000, Rega RP1, Pro-Ject Phono Box, Marantz ND8006
Living Room: Deftech Demand D9, Deftech CS9040, B&W ASW610, Yamaha Aventage RX-A2030
Desktop: KEF LS50, Nuforce DDA-120, MacBook Air
BR: MA Silver 2 (5th Gen), B&W ASW608, NAD 326BEE, Zen Blue, Marantz CD5004
postrokfan is offline  
post #25950 of 28103 Old 02-10-2018, 01:12 PM
Member
 
2dflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 154
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dflyer View Post
Is the 700 series worth waiting for? My preference would be a 704 S2. The size is better and is at the top end of budget. But the local dealer offered their CM9 demos at about $250 less than 704 S2 retail. So new smaller model with improved drivers or older larger for less money? I've listened to the CM9 today but haven't heard the 704 S2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
Wait it out
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
The difference between the 704s2 and cm9 is huge. Wait it out.
Sound advice thank you. I was able to listen to the 704 S2 today, along side a couple of other comparably priced towers, and was exceptionally impressed.

Take all this with a grain or two of salt as I'm not experienced in comparing speaker performance but, from what I recall of the CM9, the 704 mid range was much better defined - crisp is the only pedestrian word I can think of to describe the difference. Courtesy of and thanks to our local Magnolia HT and design centers I can say the same is also true of two others I was able to listen to today (Martin Logan Motion 40 and Definitive Technologies BP9060). I liked the Martin Logan ribbon tweeter but felt the difference was minimal compared to 704 mid range advantage. I may not have given the BP9060 a fair shake but think the powered sub muddied up the mid range.

I won't say the 704 upper frequencies were more forward than the CM9, but they too were much better represented. I guess what I mean is I felt the CM9 upper range was overwhelmed by the mid range - maybe too soft or out of balance with respect to the relative volume I expected to hear. The 704 mid/upper range balance is more like what I hear on my Grado SR325is headphones, which I recall being advertised as relatively neutral.

Most here would likely want to add a sub, but I think bass response was comparable across all 4 speakers - at least for what I'm most interested in and listen to. It's a least good enough out of the box that you could start with the 704 S2 and add a sub later when another $700 shows up in the cookie jar.

I compiled a stack of basic CD stuff to listen to on the CM9 but settled on 2 ch Steve Wilson's "Luminol" off "The Raven That Refused To Sing" as my go to. Not my idea, but a good one in my estimation and what my comparisons are based on. (Ref Mike Mettler, Sound and Vision, 24Jul13 Triton 7 review)

One other thing that may have flavored the comparison is differences in amps. The CM9's were powered by a 60 WPC Rotel A12 integrated amp at one dealer, all others by a 120 WPC Yamaha RX-A1070 AVR at the 2 Magnolia centers I visited. Acoustic treatments were not present in either case and I know Magnolia did not apply any room correction.

While on the subject, props to our local Magnolia centers for having multiple amp and speaker brands and model choices wired up for simple side by side comparison. For the most part the people were knowledgeable, attentive, and very helpful. The set ups were efficient and effective so the time I spent with them was very well used. Maybe this is the norm but has not been my experience in other places.

I also have to admit to previously being thrown off a bit by references to B&W and Best Buy in the same sentence. I understand now the relationship and highly recommend Magnolia as a destination for the neophyte audiophile.
2dflyer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Speakers

Tags
606 , 802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off