Originally Posted by audiomanz
Thanks for your comments markmon1. I have the Audyssey XT32 calibration to setup the speakers once they are placed. The 703 S2's will be facing each other as my left and right surrounds and the 706 S2's will be sitting on top of a bookshelf using Aperta isolation stands. My guess is Audyssey may calibrate the 703 S2's as Large and Full Range as well due to the size of the speaker. I'm running 2 subs as well so I'm hoping that it will all blend in nicely together. I hear you for the music portion using the multichannel stereo on my Marantz AV8805. I was wondering if my front and rear height speakers though would get dominated by the larger speakers. Essentially I have a 7.2.4 setup. Thoughts?
My thoughts are that 7.2.4 is not worth anything over 5.2.4 to the main listener. It may help if you have rear rows for other audience members. I would suggest that a set of 702S2 in 5.2.4 is superior to main listener than 7.2.4 with 703S2 and 706S2.
But that aside, I thought you were using 702S2 as your front left right not as surrounds. What is your front left and rights? I wouldn't run 703S2 as "large" because your subs will still do better from 20hz-40hz. Ideally, you have more than "small and large" to choose from so you can set a crossover point like 50hz or something. Better floor speakers will not overpower ceiling speakers. You never want to be limited by your least common denominator. I prioritize theater speakers like this:
1) Center channel. Put all your $$ into this. A setup of an HTM1D3 center + 4 m1's because you're out of money is going to do better for theater than a setup with an HTM71 and 4 706S2. Likewise, if you already have super awesome left / right fronts to start with like 800D3's or something, you would be better off having no center and going phantom center than adding a cheaper one like HTM71. Always quality over quantity.
2) After center, I'd prioritize subwoofer
3) After sub, front left right get next priority.
4) After that, surrounds get priority. I prioritize better quality over quantity. 5.1.4 is as good as 7.1.4 for main listener. I wouldn't ever settle on worse surrounds so I could get 4 instead of 2.
5) After that is ceiling speakers.
6) Last of all is rear surrounds