B&W Owner's Thread - Page 915 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1395Likes

post #27421 of 27514 Old 09-07-2019, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhasman View Post
Unfortunately, nobody responded to my first - long - questing.

So, short questing... Would you buy 804 D3 now or wait for coming D4?
There may or may not be a D4. And even if theres a D4 there wil also b D5, D6...etc in future. So buy what u like and enjoy now. Even the old nautilus or matrix in a well.placed environment wil outperform a D3 in a poor setup environment. Time waits for no man.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
SpeedDemon, markmon1 and KenM10759 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27422 of 27514 Old 09-08-2019, 01:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5231 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
Quote:
Go listen to them and if you like them go for it. You could be waiting for the next thing forever. Life is too short to waste years waiting on what may come.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #27423 of 27514 Old 09-08-2019, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3437 Post(s)
Liked: 1916
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post
There may or may not be a D4. And even if theres a D4 there wil also b D5, D6...etc in future. So buy what u like and enjoy now. Even the old nautilus or matrix in a well.placed environment wil outperform a D3 in a poor setup environment. Time waits for no man.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
And the same could be said of almost every major brand. The larger companies see the trend of older product sales tapering off as competitors introduce new product so they have to do the same. Smaller companies with less market share and resources see less evidence of that, because their efforts to grow with what they perceive to be a great product are all in capturing greater market share by word of mouth, customer testimonials, independently published reviews and developing better market channel partners. Big companies have the mature distribution channels, get the media attention, so need to keep introducing new product. It's not always profoundly better overall, usually just a few feature and benefit changes that may appeal to some of their existing customer base, but hopefully attract new customers with the 'fear of missing out' factor.

I worked for over 10 years as a factory rep for a major manufacturer of cutting tools for machine shops. That's where I learned big companies that don't bring out new product and actively promote it, lose the market share they need. When already selling in a mature market, the balance of new product to capture your competitor's customers to obsoleting old product that your existing base loves is a delicate one. Performance gains are rarely what is claimed, and you don't want to claim too much over your own older product for risk of effectively telling existing customers you were selling them crap.

Cliff notes edition: Buy what you like now and enjoy it until you enjoy something else better.

KEF R500, R200C, R100, R50, SVS SB2000 sub, NAD T758v3 AVR, LG UP875 4K BlueRay, Samsung UN55JU6500F 4K LED TV, KEF M500 headphones, Sony CDP-CE500 CD changer. Office: NAD M10, KEF LS50, KEF Kube 10b, Pro-Ject RPM1 TT w/ Ortofon 2M Red. Guest room: Hafler 300 L-R, KEF Reference Model 100 center, KEF iQ10 surrounds, modded M&K V-90 sub, Bluesound Vault 2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27424 of 27514 Old 09-08-2019, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Now, because the D3 is a big jump in quality (the biggest for many generations); and the D4 might be 5+ years into the future and most likely will be a minor improvement.

Edit:
We will have D4, D5, D6 etc (maybe under different names). That is 100% guaranteed.
I have a bunch of D2's (803D2, 804D2, 805D2, HTM2D2 in additional to 2 * DB1 (think they were released together with the D2 series); and I have the 802D3 which is in a different league (actually the 802D3 is MUCH better than the previous 800D2; I have compared them and know people that actually replaced their 800D2 with the 802D3). I also have a few from older generations with pairs of SCMS and SCM1.

Running everything in a magical 9.2.9 system powered and processed by Trinnov.
markmon1 and Mark1000 like this.

HT: Trinnov Altitude32 (AL32-1632)/Amplitude8/8M - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - B&W 802D3, 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, SCMS, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2 - NORDOST Heimdall2/Frey2 - ISOTEK EVO3 Titan,Sigmas - LG OLED65B7V - GIK ACOUSTICS
HP: 2*MOON 430HA D, 2*MiND2 Network Player - 2*Yggdrasil - 2*Hydra Z/ZPM - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 - AUDEZE LCD-4 rev2, 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846

Last edited by Berland; 09-08-2019 at 07:00 AM.
post #27425 of 27514 Old 09-09-2019, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berland View Post
... I have the 802D3 which is in a different league (actually the 802D3 is MUCH better than the previous 800D2; I have compared them and know people that actually replaced their 800D2 with the 802D3).
Actually, you are taking a step too far with that remark. The 802D3 are NOT much better than the 800D2 but there are improvements in some key areas. Frankly the D3's are a bit of a disappointment. Why? Because they are MUCH too harsh. For the record and for those that do not know my history and experience with the company and the brand dates back to 1988 so I have a pretty good perspective on their house sound. A good barometer of how well improvements from one generation to another really are can be gleaned from long term ownership trends.

Soon after the D3's came out a lot of positive feedback surfaced and from some major players of industry. However, what I've noticed happening with the D3 series, about two-three years after their introduction, that did not happen with the D2 series is the faster rate of succession away from the newest generation. Many people of industry, whom I respect, that once owned the D2's and then replaced them with the D3's no longer own the D3's. Interestingly enough, these same people have purchased and owned earlier models and kept them twice as long as they did the D3's. This to me is very telling. So it would seem being wedded to the D3 series is great at first but any long term marriage to the series seems doomed to be short lived.

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
post #27426 of 27514 Old 09-09-2019, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMan View Post
Actually, you are taking a step too far with that remark. The 802D3 are NOT much better than the 800D2 but there are improvements in some key areas. Frankly the D3's are a bit of a disappointment. Why? Because they are MUCH too harsh. For the record and for those that do not know my history and experience with the company and the brand dates back to 1988 so I have a pretty good perspective on their house sound. A good barometer of how well improvements from one generation to another really are can be gleaned from long term ownership trends.

Soon after the D3's came out a lot of positive feedback surfaced and from some major players of industry. However, what I've noticed happening with the D3 series, about two-three years after their introduction, that did not happen with the D2 series is the faster rate of succession away from the newest generation. Many people of industry, whom I respect, that once owned the D2's and then replaced them with the D3's no longer own the D3's. Interestingly enough, these same people have purchased and owned earlier models and kept them twice as long as they did the D3's. This to me is very telling. So it would seem being wedded to the D3 series is great at first but any long term marriage to the series seems doomed to be short lived.
Sorry man but this thread is full of people that have upgraded to the D3 series and *kept* them - including me. I use to think they were a little harsh but then I dumped my emotiva amps and got McIntosh and now they're not in the slightest bit harsh. The 804D3 was definitely too bright. The 800, 802, and 805's are not harsh sounding. The 803 and 804 with the smaller drivers are definitely brighter.

Compared to the old series, the old kevlar midranges sound like they're playing through a tunnel or with your hands cupped around your ears. I completely agree that current 802D3 > previous 800D2. Many others have felt the same on this.
Berland likes this.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #27427 of 27514 Old 09-09-2019, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thanks very much to everyone responding, I truly appreciate sharing your opinions!
Yes, I had a chance listening 804 D3 next to new 702S2. I would not trade my CM9S1 for 702S2, but I fell in love with 804 D3 sound.
Yes, I understand time wait for no man. Let me please explain myself a bit why asking about D4. B&W is truly sound pioneer and innovating company, and there are always dramatic improvements in 800 series from generation to generation. Technologies advance crazy fast now, fortunately, B&W engineers have resources to develop fantastic materials, components, etc. It is even hard to imagine what next 4-5 year brings. I can afford purchasing 804 D3 for myself, but it is still a lot of money for me spending for hobby, and those ming be my last-forever speakers. Once-in-5-years-upgrade seems very unreasonable nowadays... Do you see what I mean? D4 might be almost there. Spending tons of $$ for amazing, but a bit behind speakers, that what makes me thinking maybe to wait a little.

Onkyo Reference Hi-Fi P-3000R & M-5000R | B&W CM9 S1 | x2 B&W ASW10CM S1
post #27428 of 27514 Old 09-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 252
If you find the D3 to harsh; I'm suspecting wrong amplifier and/or pre/DAC/processor. I'm playing with the frequency curve completely flat (originally there is a peak around 10kHz; I have hammered down this to flat using my Trinnov Amplitude32, to be precise - the Trinnov Optimizer did this for me). I have crossover for sub's (in stereo I use stereo for sub's as well; each placed next to each of the 802D3 speakers at 80Hz with a slope at 48dB/oct. Subs are set up with target curve set to +1dB/oct starting from 100Hz down to 10Hz.

Sound is very natural, open and extremely detailed. Vocal is out on the floor (not pulled way way back as some prefer, with the instruments pulled out on the floor - also known as the reversed U or V soundstage). I love this setup for stereo; not too bad for surround/atmos/dts:x either.

Edit:
By the way I use the Trinnov Amplitude8 (with NC1200 modules) as amplifier (built by ATI for Trinnov). Its a perfect match.

HT: Trinnov Altitude32 (AL32-1632)/Amplitude8/8M - BRYSTON 4B SST2 - B&W 802D3, 803D2, 2*DB1, HTM2D2, 804D2, SCMS, Nautilus SCM1, 805D2 - NORDOST Heimdall2/Frey2 - ISOTEK EVO3 Titan,Sigmas - LG OLED65B7V - GIK ACOUSTICS
HP: 2*MOON 430HA D, 2*MiND2 Network Player - 2*Yggdrasil - 2*Hydra Z/ZPM - ISOTEK EVO3 Sigmas, Aquarius - NORDOST Heimdall 2 - AUDEZE LCD-4 rev2, 2*LCD-XC - SHURE SE846

Last edited by Berland; 09-09-2019 at 02:59 PM.
post #27429 of 27514 Old 09-09-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Sorry man but this thread is full of people that have upgraded to the D3 series and *kept* them - including me. I use to think they were a little harsh but then I dumped my emotiva amps and got McIntosh and now they're not in the slightest bit harsh. The 804D3 was definitely too bright. The 800, 802, and 805's are not harsh sounding. The 803 and 804 with the smaller drivers are definitely brighter.

Compared to the old series, the old kevlar midranges sound like they're playing through a tunnel or with your hands cupped around your ears. I completely agree that current 802D3 > previous 800D2. Many others have felt the same on this.
There maybe those that have "kept" them but that is not what the ownership trends are showing especially those with clout. People, primarily of industry, that I know of personally, have moved on and in short order and these are people that could be considered as loyal followers of the brand.

I have spent much time evaluating the 804D3, 803D3 and the 802D3 using, primarily, top flight McIntosh gear that many would consider to be the ideal synergistic coupling. I found the 802D3 to be the smoothest and most civilized of the three but the upper end of the spectrum is still mildly aggressive. Although I expected the D3 to perform better than the D2 I remain somewhat skeptical that it does in ways that seem to matter most... long term listenability. Are there improvements? Yes. Are there differences? Also, yes. Does it sound better overall? Somewhat doubtful over the long haul.

The historical suck-out in the midband that you are referring to is still present in the new series, albeit to a lesser degree. But as any good speaker designer should tell you the drivers and cabinet contruction are only half the equation. The crossover network is equally, in my experience more so, important to the sound/characteristics of a loudspeaker. The company decided to use the inferior Evo Silver/Gold capacitor for the upper midrange and treble crossover point for the D3 series whereas the D2 uses the superior Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil variety. This choice seems to have had major implications to the somewhat harsh overtones that I detect.

The Evo capacitor stands out with its articulate and realistic brightness and fine detail but it settles in on the top side of neutral most of the time and places a greater emphasis on sibilance. On the other hand, the Supreme capacitor exhibits smooth harmonic overtones and excels at image depth, openness and spatiality although with some top-end emphasis too. Listening to the the D3 is like having a fling, seems exciting but only at first, whereas listening to the D2 is like having a romance, seems to get better with time.

post #27430 of 27514 Old 09-09-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berland View Post
If you find the D3 to harsh; I'm suspecting wrong amplifier and/or pre/DAC/processor. I'm playing with the frequency curve completely flat (originally there is a peak around 10kHz; I have hammered down this to flat using my Trinnov Amplitude32, to be precise - the Trinnov Optimizer did this for me). I have crossover for sub's (in stereo I use stereo for sub's as well; each placed next to each of the 802D3 speakers at 80Hz with a slope at 48dB/oct. Subs are set up with target curve set to +1dB/oct starting from 100Hz down to 10Hz.

Sound is very natural, open and extremely detailed. Vocal is out on the floor (not pulled way way back as some prefer, with the instruments pulled out on the floor - also known as the reversed U or V soundstage). I love this setup for stereo; not too bad for surround/atmos/dts:x either.

Edit:
By the way I use the Trinnov Amplitude8 (with NC1200 modules) as amplifier (built by ATI for Trinnov). Its a perfect match.
Much respect for the Trinnov but for music I like to keep things as simple as possible using passive solutions and mostly organic configurations. As for cinema... I'm much more open to synthetic options.

As I explained in the previous post I have mostly used McIntosh gear (both tube and solid state) with the D3. I have also used Chord and other more esoteric brands with similar results. Regardless of the location, the room or the gear the conclusions have been eerily similar. Puzzling to me has been the mass defection from people that originaly raved about the D3 only to replace them so early in the game. Has my D3 observations just been coincidental to the now departed? I don't think so.

post #27431 of 27514 Old 09-09-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 51
For about 4 months now, I’ve been watching the inter webs for a nearly new pair of 804D3 near SE Texas and Agon, USAM, and Fleabay have nearly none so I think this signals a slow 2ndary market for the current gen diamonds. Just my $0.02.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #27432 of 27514 Old 09-09-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
There maybe those that have "kept" them but that is not what the ownership trends are showing especially those with clout. People, primarily of industry, that I know of personally, have moved on and in short order and these are people that could be considered as loyal followers of the brand.

I have spent much time evaluating the 804D3, 803D3 and the 802D3 using, primarily, top flight McIntosh gear that many would consider to be the ideal synergistic coupling. I found the 802D3 to be the smoothest and most civilized of the three but the upper end of the spectrum is still mildly aggressive. Although I expected the D3 to perform better than the D2 I remain somewhat skeptical that it does in ways that seem to matter most... long term listenability. Are there improvements? Yes. Are there differences? Also, yes. Does it sound better overall? Somewhat doubtful over the long haul.

The historical suck-out in the midband that you are referring to is still present in the new series, albeit to a lesser degree. But as any good speaker designer should tell you the drivers and cabinet contruction are only half the equation. The crossover network is equally, in my experience more so, important to the sound/characteristics of a loudspeaker. The company decided to use the inferior Evo Silver/Gold capacitor for the upper midrange and treble crossover point for the D3 series whereas the D2 uses the superior Supreme Silver/Gold/Oil variety. This choice seems to have had major implications to the somewhat harsh overtones that I detect.

The Evo capacitor stands out with its articulate and realistic brightness and fine detail but it settles in on the top side of neutral most of the time and places a greater emphasis on sibilance. On the other hand, the Supreme capacitor exhibits smooth harmonic overtones and excels at image depth, openness and spatiality although with some top-end emphasis too. Listening to the the D3 is like having a fling, seems exciting but only at first, whereas listening to the D2 is like having a romance, seems to get better with time.
Has anyone tried changing out the D3 crossover?

post #27433 of 27514 Old 09-09-2019, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 187
The crossovers are different between the 803/802/800

First one is 803, followed by 802 and 800. I have to say the 800 D3 have been my favorite speaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2CB016FC-CAB9-4374-BA48-9FB9830FF805.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	2613296   Click image for larger version

Name:	037C44DB-95AD-4EC4-92D8-B8628D43EC6F.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	2613298  

NX5 / Panamorph / SI Black Diamond Zero Edge Pro / Salamander Designs / AQ Niagra
AV8805 / UB9000 / AppleTV 4K / PS4 Pro / Connect / Node 2i / RPM-10 C
C1100 / D1100 / MC303s / 800D3 / HTM1D3 / 702 S2 / CCM7.3 / PC4000s
post #27434 of 27514 Old 09-10-2019, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdfein View Post
For about 4 months now, I’ve been watching the inter webs for a nearly new pair of 804D3 near SE Texas and Agon, USAM, and Fleabay have nearly none so I think this signals a slow 2ndary market for the current gen diamonds. Just my $0.02.
There have been and are numerous 804D3 for sale across all three outlets you named. That said my point was mostly concerning the top tier D3.

post #27435 of 27514 Old 09-10-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
The crossovers are different between the 803/802/800

First one is 803, followed by 802 and 800. I have to say the 800 D3 have been my favorite speaker.
Despite my disappointment with the D3 thus far, I do consider the 800D3 a worthy step up from the Goodwill barn find I recall you having!

The crossover parts from the mid-band down do vary, but they are not my primary area of concern. What bothers me in all three cases of the D3 (803D3/802D3/800D3) is the use of the same Evo Silver/Gold/Oil part in place of the same Supreme Oil part found in all three previous cases of the D2 (803D2/802D2/800D2) for filtering the upper mid-range and lower treble pass band.

Given that our hearing is quite sensitive to these range of frequencies I have concluded the disparity between the analytically detailed (aka, harsh) D3 and the highly resolving (aka, sparkle) D2 of the two series must be largely attributed to the use of a lesser part in the D3 and a better one in the D2.

Last edited by RebelMan; 09-10-2019 at 03:48 AM.
post #27436 of 27514 Old 09-10-2019, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmon1 View Post
Has anyone tried changing out the D3 crossover?
Yes, but I have not been privy to the success of their efforts.

post #27437 of 27514 Old 09-10-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Despite my disappointment with the D3 thus far, I do consider the 800D3 a worthy step up from the Goodwill barn find I recall you having!
The N802s were the best $260 I ever spent. However now many years later I have spent 100s x that on other gear because of that purchase. I still have the N802s, they are hooked up to my C9 OLED currently powered by a new Sonos amp for my bedroom speakers Who needs a playbar when I can have 802s.

NX5 / Panamorph / SI Black Diamond Zero Edge Pro / Salamander Designs / AQ Niagra
post #27438 of 27514 Old 09-10-2019, 07:17 AM

I see B&W updated/consolidated the CI 700 series.

In-Ceiling
CCM7.3 -> CCM7.3 S2 : Updated with carbon dome and continuum.
CCM7.4 -> : no longer in the lineup
CCM7.5 -> CCM7.5 S2 : No longer square / enclosure. The “new” Cinema 7 updated with carbon dome and continuum.
Cinema7 -> : Updated to the CCM7.5 S2 noted above

In-Wall
CWM7.3 -> CWM7.3 S2 : Updated with carbon dome and continuum.
CWM7.4 -> CWM7.4 S2 : No longer offered with enclosure. The “new” Cinema 7 updated with carbon dome and continuum.
Cinema7 -> Updated to the new CWM7.4 S2 notes above
CWM7.5 -> CWM7.5 S2: Updated with carbon dome and continuum.

Basically:
CCM7.3, CWM7.3 and CWM7.5 stayed the same type of speaker and were updated.
CCM7.4, CCM7.5, CWM7.4 as you knew them are gone.
Cinema 7 series got updated and bumped into the CCM7.5 S2 and CWM7.4 S2 spots.
Cinema 7 gone

That’s what I can make of it anyways.

post #27439 of 27514 Old 09-11-2019, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
I wish B&W offered the in-ceiling/in-walls with black frames and grilles as an option.

Wonder if the new CCM7.5 S2 can drop into a CCM682/CCM683 speaker cutout. Seems like it could!

See Profile
post #27440 of 27514 Old 09-11-2019, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Cool

audiogon had some audio "bluebook" pricing... but not sure if anyone else has that sort of thing.

what i typically go by is lowest price on audigon or ebay that people can buy this at and taht's the real world price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clnconcpts View Post
Hi all,

I'm going to be listing my B&W's up for sale , but, I'm trying to figure out a good listing price . I don't want to over price nor do I want to under price them .

My speakers are from the 2006 era and are

804's
805's with B&W stands filled with silica sand to prevent and vibrations.
SCM's which are considered 805's but squish with wall mounting brackets
All of these are cherry rosewood
Htm1 center channel black ash

Thanks in advance for any advice
repaint them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post
I wish B&W offered the in-ceiling/in-walls with black frames and grilles as an option.

Wonder if the new CCM7.5 S2 can drop into a CCM682/CCM683 speaker cutout. Seems like it could!

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
post #27441 of 27514 Old 09-11-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 2
B&W 603 vs. Klipsch RP-8000F

For music and movies.

What do you guys think?
post #27442 of 27514 Old 09-11-2019, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 37
you demo any material over those speaker? the cliff notes is it'll be upto your preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SskylineE View Post
B&W 603 vs. Klipsch RP-8000F

For music and movies.

What do you guys think?

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
post #27443 of 27514 Old 09-11-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceCarDriver View Post
I see B&W updated/consolidated the CI 700 series.

In-Ceiling
CCM7.3 -> CCM7.3 S2 : Updated with carbon dome and continuum.
CCM7.4 -> : no longer in the lineup
CCM7.5 -> CCM7.5 S2 : No longer square / enclosure. The “new” Cinema 7 updated with carbon dome and continuum.
Cinema7 -> : Updated to the CCM7.5 S2 noted above

In-Wall
CWM7.3 -> CWM7.3 S2 : Updated with carbon dome and continuum.
CWM7.4 -> CWM7.4 S2 : No longer offered with enclosure. The “new” Cinema 7 updated with carbon dome and continuum.
Cinema7 -> Updated to the new CWM7.4 S2 notes above
CWM7.5 -> CWM7.5 S2: Updated with carbon dome and continuum.

Basically:
CCM7.3, CWM7.3 and CWM7.5 stayed the same type of speaker and were updated.
CCM7.4, CCM7.5, CWM7.4 as you knew them are gone.
Cinema 7 series got updated and bumped into the CCM7.5 S2 and CWM7.4 S2 spots.
Cinema 7 gone

That’s what I can make of it anyways.
were you able to get pricing on The CWM7.3 S2's, I was thinking about upgrading my front three which are CWM7.3's and keep the 3 of the front 2 for surround backs to move up to a 7.2.4 setup.
post #27444 of 27514 Old 09-11-2019, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
All new Formation Flex has been announced
SpeedDemon likes this.

Onkyo Reference Hi-Fi P-3000R & M-5000R | B&W CM9 S1 | x2 B&W ASW10CM S1
post #27445 of 27514 Old 09-11-2019, 05:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanido View Post

These components are easily spray painted and many do this. The material is able to be painted with that 5 min to touch fast drying flat black or such.

post #27446 of 27514 Old 09-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Wow! I just had my first listen to my new B&W HTM2 D3 center speaker. Substantial improvement from my previous CM Centre S2.

I would have set it up sooner, but I didn't have a piece of furniture for it to sit on since this behemoth of a center speaker needs to sit beneath my TV. I finally put together my Salamander 248 cabinet though and the HTM2 D3 fits perfect.

Wish someone had talked me into doing this sooner.
markmon1 likes this.

--
Spoiler!
post #27447 of 27514 Old 09-12-2019, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do the 702s2 sound detailed and pleasing at lower volumes?
post #27448 of 27514 Old 09-13-2019, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
For ATMOS channels, you think the upgrade from CCM682 to the newly released CCM7.5 S2 would be worth it? My other speakers comprise 800 d3 series speakers and CI800 surrounds. If not for the specs alone to better match the continuum mid/bass drivers, I’m not sure it is worth it.

I just literally installed the CCM682 a few weeks past lol.

The good news is that the CCM7.5 s2 use the same frames as CCM682 so can be easily interchanged (confirmed by B&W).
post #27449 of 27514 Old 09-13-2019, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon View Post
Wow! I just had my first listen to my new B&W HTM2 D3 center speaker. Substantial improvement from my previous CM Centre S2.

I would have set it up sooner, but I didn't have a piece of furniture for it to sit on since this behemoth of a center speaker needs to sit beneath my TV. I finally put together my Salamander 248 cabinet though and the HTM2 D3 fits perfect.

Wish someone had talked me into doing this sooner.
I did but you didn't have $4k in savings
SpeedDemon likes this.
post #27450 of 27514 Old 09-13-2019, 07:38 PM

Just don’t go listen to the HTM1D3
mausse and markmon1 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
802D , atmos , B W , b&w dm1400 , Bowers And Wilkings 685 Speakers , carver cm-1090

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page