AVS Forum banner
4M views 30K replies 3K participants last post by  Tank_PD 
#1 ·
I noticed that I hadn't seen B&W OWNER'S thread , but that there are a lot of owners on this forum and I think that the consistant bashing from about 4 posters makes people hesitant to get involved in any of the many threads that keep getting nasty. So, to that end, I think that if there was a thread where the Lovefest could be conducted without bothering NON-owners and the bashers weren't welcome, maybe some good info could come out of it.

My challenge would be to ask people here to keep it civil and that if you don't like B&W there is no point in you being here. If you want to talk about other comporables, start another thread.

For the record, I am a B&W dealer , and most know this, and as such , if I can find out any important info on the brand or certain models, I will be happy to. Don't , however, post or pm me regarding sales, I don't use threads as advertising for my business, and I won't sell you anything .

So what do you own and how is it set-up?

#27,241 ·
Hi,

I currently have the original CM8s/CM1s and CM centre in 5.1 configuration. I’m redoing my living room and considering to upgrade. Would the 700s be a substantial upgrade? My biggest issue with the current setup is that the centre channel feels weak. At the same time I’m considering adding some M-1s for atmos. Do you think these would work or is there really no point?

Thanks

#27,242 ·
Hi,

I currently have the original CM8s/CM1s and CM centre in 5.1 configuration. I’m redoing my living room and considering to upgrade. Would the 700s be a substantial upgrade? My biggest issue with the current setup is that the centre channel feels weak. At the same time I’m considering adding some M-1s for atmos. Do you think these would work or is there really no point?

Thanks
I had m1's mounted externally on my ceiling. I made brackets for them and took them off the stands. The atmos effects were in the right spot. But the measly m1's just didn't have enough oomph to match my other speakers. The other consideration here. How much $$ are you budgeting to your 700 series upgrade? Are you replacing all the speakers? If so, I think you'd be better off keeping all your speakers and buying an HTM1D3 center only. CM8, CM1 + HTM1D3 would be far better than say 702S2, 705S2 and HTM71.

#27,243 ·
I take a break from speakers and B&W cancels their CM line for 700's. 2 years ago. Heh.

Are there any reviews for them? I can't find any from the mainstream outlets. Wondering if the new 700's still sound warm like the CM, which was a complaint for some, or are they more neutral sounding.

#27,245 ·
Did anyone buy the stand for the HTM1 D3 or just go with whatever they had such as an entertainment center or DIY shelf? I knew going in that my old entertainment center would not work and in the meantime pulled apart my living room table and turned it into a stand until I can figure something out. With the front curvature of the HTM1 D3, placement on a shelf doesn't seem ideal but curious what others did. It will be going under the attached screen and I will have the two 702 towers and an incoming SVS PB4000 sub to replace the one pictured. Still needing to ensure I can still have enough space for up to 5 gaming systems but ideally 4 as they won't work in my media closet. On a side note my install got distracted by work so I have been running the center in mono and have to say it alone easily beats my previous entire Energy setup and is amazing everyone. The size is unreal. Can't wait to get the 702 towers setup and swapped in.

Attachments

#27,246 ·
Did anyone buy the stand for the HTM1 D3 or just go with whatever they had such as an entertainment center or DIY shelf? I knew going in that my old entertainment center would not work and in the meantime pulled apart my living room table and turned it into a stand until I can figure something out. With the front curvature of the HTM1 D3, placement on a shelf doesn't seem ideal but curious what others did. It will be going under the attached screen and I will have the two 702 towers and an incoming SVS PB4000 sub to replace the one pictured. Still needing to ensure I can still have enough space for up to 5 gaming systems but ideally 4 as they won't work in my media closet. On a side note my install got distracted by work so I have been running the center in mono and have to say it alone easily beats my previous entire Energy setup and is amazing everyone. The size is unreal. Can't wait to get the 702 towers setup and swapped in.
Congrats on getting that center. It's a great fit in your setup I think you'll love it. Give something like the starting of transformers 2 a try and see how you can feel optomus prime voice and some of the mid ranges in your chest.

I don't use a stand. Mine is on the floor under my screen. I put a tool box under it and point it up slightly. This was all temporary but my room is so black you cant even see any of this so I have forgotten about it.

Reactions: Pike44
#27,247 ·

I’d try moving it to the front edge of the table to reduce any deflection from the table top

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27,248 ·
I’d try moving it to the front edge of the table to reduce any deflection from the table top

Thanks, did that shortly after the pic was taken to move it where they are about a quarter inch over the lip. With the rubber feet attached plus the weight, this is not a very easy speaker to move precisely and the curves made it take a while to get aligned evenly. Never imagined mono could sound so good but ready to get the 702 situated today. Have a long list of movies to start on but I have until July 14th for my new sub to arrive and still waiting for my custom black out automated shade to arrive, but will add the Transformers 4k to the list. Fifth Element opera/action scene is first on my list.

#27,249 ·
Thanks, did that shortly after the pic was taken to move it where they are about a quarter inch over the lip. With the rubber feet attached plus the weight, this is not a very easy speaker to move precisely and the curves made it take a while to get aligned evenly. Never imagined mono could sound so good but ready to get the 702 situated today. Have a long list of movies to start on but I have until July 14th for my new sub to arrive and still waiting for my custom black out automated shade to arrive, but will add the Transformers 4k to the list. Fifth Element opera/action scene is first on my list.
It's surprising, but if someone had say $7000 for a whole speaker setup, I could see a good argument for spending $5000 of it on that center, $1000 on sub, and the other $1000 on all the rest of the speakers. I bet for movies, 4 tiny M1's and that HTM1D3 would sound better than 4 702S2 + HTM71 Center. I also think 4 702S2 in a 4.1 configuration running phantom center would be better than 5.1 with HTM71 center though.

When I first got my HTM1D3, I had CM9's for left and right fronts and some definitive in walls for a 7.1 setup. For movies it actually sounded fantastic. Then I played some music and realized how incredibly musical the tone was coming from that center. After that, I ended up upgrading to some used 803D2s, but that only lasted a few months and then I went to 802D3s, which are the tower equivalents of that center. I run 702S2's here as the rear surrounds but have done a lot of testing with them as left/right fronts. I think I would have been happy running 702S2's and HTM1D3's as the front stage for music and movies alike. The 802D3's add a lot of better staging and clarity over the 702S2's, but the 702's have some warmth that is sort of magical. And adding the HTM1D3 (in a 2 channel stereo mode with all 3 speakers), brings some of that clarity and staging back.

I'm sure you'll love your setup. My friend has 4x 702S2 and 1 HTM1D3 all driven by his integra receiver. For movies its on par with what I have here.

#27,250 ·

Easy thing to do is use some oil furniture wood polish and the speaker will slide around and it’ll dry leaving the furniture clean and the sliding will stop.

#27,251 ·
I've got a pair of CM6s2 as my mains (and only speakers). I'm looking to build up a 5.1 system. I had originally intended to get a CM Centre s2 since it seemed to align more with the driver configuration of my mains, but after some reading I'm wondering if that specific match-up is less important than just getting the best center I can afford? I've started looking at the CM Centre 2 s2 (used), but should I also entertain the thought of getting the newer HTM71s2, even though it's a different driver material and different line?

Also - for rears, I need something I can wall-mount and have pretty much settled on a pair of M-1. I realize these are small satellites, would they be inadequate given the rest of the speakers in the system? Seems like I'd be building a mashup of 3 different speaker lines, is that going to ruin my chances of a convincing soundstage with surround material?

#27,252 ·
Well, they can’t go further back because there is a couch behind the right side one, and the left side one would be pretty far into the room.

I can move the seat forward but the sound from the front left and right for stereo music won’t be anywhere near as good. I guess I could set it up for surround with Audessey, and only put Audessey on when I move my seat forward for surround. Then move the chair back again for stereo and turn Audessey off.
Could you get higher stands, rake them and toe them out a little?

Some folks like the surrounds a little forward.

MCH Surround is the bomb. I need to listen to it more.

Chris

#27,253 ·
I've got a pair of CM6s2 as my mains (and only speakers). I'm looking to build up a 5.1 system. I had originally intended to get a CM Centre s2 since it seemed to align more with the driver configuration of my mains, but after some reading I'm wondering if that specific match-up is less important than just getting the best center I can afford? I've started looking at the CM Centre 2 s2 (used), but should I also entertain the thought of getting the newer HTM71s2, even though it's a different driver material and different line?

Also - for rears, I need something I can wall-mount and have pretty much settled on a pair of M-1. I realize these are small satellites, would they be inadequate given the rest of the speakers in the system? Seems like I'd be building a mashup of 3 different speaker lines, is that going to ruin my chances of a convincing soundstage with surround material?
Ended up going with the HTM71 s2, and am glad I did. This is an awesome center, close enough in sound to the CM6 s2 as to not draw attention to itself during movies, but subtly better enough with music that I've started running all-channel-stereo (just the front 3 right now) with my music listening sessions.

Wasn't sure how I felt about the aesthetics of the continuum cone, but in person it's a very classy look.

#27,254 ·
Ended up going with the HTM71 s2, and am glad I did. This is an awesome center, close enough in sound to the CM6 s2 as to not draw attention to itself during movies, but subtly better enough with music that I've started running all-channel-stereo (just the front 3 right now) with my music listening sessions.

Wasn't sure how I felt about the aesthetics of the continuum cone, but in person it's a very classy look.

That is cool. Has anyone compared the CM Center 2 S2 to the HTM71s2 directly?

#27,255 ·
As I'm sure you all know by now shopping for the 700 series and below just became a bit easier as Crutchfield now carries the brand.

They have an excellent $10/box flat return shipping charge on stand mount speakers/centers and $75/ pair flat rate return shipping on towers thus giving you a relatively painless way to try at home for minimal expense should you not have a dealer near you in the Continental US.

#27,256 ·
I bought a second-hand pair of cm6 s2, and generally they're just about perfect. However, when I'm letting ARC do its thing I can hear a slight vibration from one of the speakers. I think it's coming from the tweeter pod, the grill/trim bit is a little bit loose, where I can twist it back and forth a smidge, and I think this could be the culprit. The other one moves a very, very tiny bit, but not nearly as much as the other.

I haven't tried taking the thing all the way off, and am afraid to try as I don't want to break anything. I would like to put down some type of adhesive though, any recommendations on how I might do this, and what might be better options for the glue/adhesive to use?

I really haven't ever noticed this while listening...maybe I should just let it be.

#27,257 ·
Still waiting on my sub but the 702 S2 matched with the HTM1 D3 has me blown away compared to the Energy speakers I upgraded from and used for the last 10 yrs. My focus is still movies but with working from home and how amazing these sound, I find myself playing about 6-8 hrs of music off the front 3 which might be leading me into amp thoughts which I know was a back and forth previously on this thread. As mentioned before, I have absolutely no experience with amps prior and still don't know exactly what I'm looking for so wanting to ask the more experienced members out there. Running currently a 7.1 off a Pioneer Elite SC-502 which advertises 120 W/ch (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08 %, 2 ch Driven FTC). Would love to hear experiences or thoughts on the below if anyone has paired with B&W or if end of the day just not worth it at all. Also to note, guessing McIntosh is probably more than I'm willing to pay.

Option 1: I have Best Buy pushing a Rotel 5 ch 600w or 1000w amp suggesting I bi-amp the 702 towers and run the other to the HTM1. No experience with bi-amp so not sure if this is really worth it or not. I can get a heavy discount on Rotel if that factors in the equation. I keep hearing people mention Rotel with B&W.

Option 2: Would be paying full price for Parasound A31 for a 3 channel. 5 ch is probably pushing what I want to spend.

Option 3: Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5 pending 3 channel or better off 5 ch and bi-amping towers. Have read on boards these have been reported as harsh with B&W.

Option 4: Marantz 700W 5 channel. Once again bi-amp plus can get it discounted.

#27,258 ·
Option 3: Emotiva XPA-3 or XPA-5 pending 3 channel or better off 5 ch and bi-amping towers. Have read on boards these have been reported as harsh with B&W.
Everybody hears what they hear, but I had the XPA-3 Gen3 (Anthem MRX-520 as processor) powering my CM6s2, and the combination was glorious. There was zero added harshness, but I found that mids were fuller and had a more realistic sense of body than just power from my Anthem receiver.

#27,259 ·
Looking for input. I have, and love, a pair of CM6s2 bookshelf speakers. I have always been partial to floorstanders however, and there's a pair of CM9s2 for sale nearby that I'm incredibly tempted to pick up. I can't go and listen however, so it'd be a blind purchase. Would I miss the tweeter pods? Would the FST midrange be ear-opening in some way? How much more difficult (if any) would the CM9s2 towers be to drive?

I can't say for certain what I'm looking for - I like the idea of my mains having plenty of headroom and I believe the CM9s2 would provide that. This would also allow me to have a full 5.1 setup - CM9s2 up front, CM6s2 in back, HTM71s2 in center.

Would my money be better spent picking up a set of 705s2 instead? The 700-series towers I'd be interested in (703,702) are beyond my budget.

#27,260 ·
Still waiting on my sub but the 702 S2 matched with the HTM1 D3 has me blown away compared to the Energy speakers I upgraded from and used for the last 10 yrs. My focus is still movies but with working from home and how amazing these sound, I find myself playing about 6-8 hrs of music off the front 3 which might be leading me into amp thoughts which I know was a back and forth previously on this thread. As mentioned before, I have absolutely no experience with amps prior and still don't know exactly what I'm looking for so wanting to ask the more experienced members out there. Running currently a 7.1 off a Pioneer Elite SC-502 which advertises 120 W/ch (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.08 %, 2 ch Driven FTC). Would love to hear experiences or thoughts on the below if anyone has paired with B&W or if end of the day just not worth it at all. Also to note, guessing McIntosh is probably more than I'm willing to pay.

Option 1: I have Best Buy pushing a Rotel 5 ch 600w or 1000w amp suggesting I bi-amp the 702 towers and run the other to the HTM1. No experience with bi-amp so not sure if this is really worth it or not. I can get a heavy discount on Rotel if that factors in the equation. I keep hearing people mention Rotel with B&W.

Option 2: Would be paying full price for Parasound A31 for a 3 channel. 5 ch is probably pushing what I want to spend.

Option 4: Marantz 700W 5 channel. Once again bi-amp plus can get it discounted.
Option 1: Rotel amps are ok but skip biamp not gonig to gain anything in this case. Read up on fools biamping and learn why.
Option 2: These are considered pretty good. 3 channel version might be ok
Option 3: Emotiva are harsh in my opinion. Total waste of money dont buy this.
Option 4: Again probably ok choice but biamp waste. If you want it as a 3 channel maybe ok.

My suggestion is to pass on the amp until you can afford something like an MC303. Otherwise I think the return is going to be very small if noticeable at all. If you're dead set on anything, I think a 3 channel parasound is the best in this list.