AVS Forum banner
4M views 30K replies 3K participants last post by  Tank_PD 
#1 ·
I noticed that I hadn't seen B&W OWNER'S thread , but that there are a lot of owners on this forum and I think that the consistant bashing from about 4 posters makes people hesitant to get involved in any of the many threads that keep getting nasty. So, to that end, I think that if there was a thread where the Lovefest could be conducted without bothering NON-owners and the bashers weren't welcome, maybe some good info could come out of it.

My challenge would be to ask people here to keep it civil and that if you don't like B&W there is no point in you being here. If you want to talk about other comporables, start another thread.

For the record, I am a B&W dealer , and most know this, and as such , if I can find out any important info on the brand or certain models, I will be happy to. Don't , however, post or pm me regarding sales, I don't use threads as advertising for my business, and I won't sell you anything .

So what do you own and how is it set-up?

#27,881 ·
guys planning to upgrade to the 700 series from my 600 s2 series. Any idea when the next 700 series will launch? if i m not mistaken the 700 s2 series launched in late 2017?

So we can expect the next 700 series to launch in 2021? catching 4 years life span if that is correct?

Thanks.

I’m considering upgrading my center to a 600(currently have Svs). What’s your thoughts on your 600 and why the desire to upgrade? Are you planning to sell your 600? if so PM me.

#27,885 ·
Hi blackspider,

The solid body tweeter can be gently twisted in the opposite direction and that will straighten it out. I've done it a few times myself and it takes care of the alignment every time. If you have any questions about the packaging or why it can sometimes twist in transit I'll be happy to answer.

Best,

Patrick
Bowers & Wilkins

Did you replace the 705 s2 eventually? was it easy to align the tweeter straight? planning to order a pair & worried if the ones i get area bit crooked, if i should return them back?

Thanks.

#27,886 ·
Hi blackspider,

The solid body tweeter can be gently twisted in the opposite direction and that will straighten it out. I've done it a few times myself and it takes care of the alignment every time. If you have any questions about the packaging or why it can sometimes twist in transit I'll be happy to answer.

Best,

Patrick
Bowers & Wilkins
Hi Patrick,

hmmm interesting it can be twisted around, would be great if you can explain why this happens? is it cause of transit?

Thanks.

#27,887 ·
The Solid Body Tweeter enclosure on the 702 and 705 is decoupled from the main cabinet with what you can think of as a rubber shock absorber. This is is to prevent energy in the main cabinet from reaching the tweeter where it causes temporal distortions. We use the same basic technique with 800 Series. The decoupling system needs to simultaneously keep the tweeter in a fixed position when in use and decouple. This prevents the use of a rigid mounting system where decoupling would not work. As such, the solid body tweeter has a bit of play in it when you gentle move it around with your hand as the elastomer in which it is mounted flexes.

If the tweeter were to sit upright all of the time it would not shift to the left or right. However if you lay it down for transit or storage, over time it will shift a bit. This is why it is sometimes necessary to give it a little nudge after unpacking.

Cheers,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

hmmm interesting it can be twisted around, would be great if you can explain why this happens? is it cause of transit?

Thanks.

#27,888 ·
The Solid Body Tweeter enclosure on the 702 and 705 is decoupled from the main cabinet with what you can think of as a rubber shock absorber. This is is to prevent energy in the main cabinet from reaching the tweeter where it causes temporal distortions. We use the same basic technique with 800 Series. The decoupling system needs to simultaneously keep the tweeter in a fixed position when in use and decouple. This prevents the use of a rigid mounting system where decoupling would not work. As such, the solid body tweeter has a bit of play in it when you gentle move it around with your hand as the elastomer in which it is mounted flexes.

If the tweeter were to sit upright all of the time it would not shift to the left or right. However if you lay it down for transit or storage, over time it will shift a bit. This is why it is sometimes necessary to give it a little nudge after unpacking.

Cheers,

Patrick
Thanks for the information Patrick, at least now i won't be paranoid if the tweeter wiggles abit. Mostly going for the 702 s2 as i feel that will be a bigger upgrade from my 600 s2 series.

Cheers.

#27,894 ·
Hi, I have an old B&W ASW CDM that needs a new 12 inch driver. From what I can tell there aren't any still available through affiliated parts dealers. Is anyone able to suggest an alternative {possibly not b&w?} driver I could use. The part number of part is ZZ13358. Many thanks in advance.

Purplefont,
One option you have is to repair the driver, checkout SimplySpeakers.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27,896 ·
Which speaker cables u using for 702s to the anthem mca power amps?
Need to buy new cables so curious what u are using?

Thanks.

Any 16 AWG OFC cable or 14 AWG cable should do, depending on your cable run. Amazon Basics or Monoprice OFC cable are great.

End them with Monoprice Banana plugs and you should be good to go. I drive my 800 series speakers with 14 AWG over a 25 ft run and they sound fantastic - not sure why you or anyone would need to spend a dime more than that.

#27,897 ·
Which speaker cables u using for 702s to the anthem mca power amps?
Need to buy new cables so curious what u are using?

Thanks.

Also suggest Blue Jean Cables letting them fuse the connectors. I use 10 gauge with locking bananas.

Reactions: KenM10759
#27,899 ·
if you had the chance to pay $3k extra to go from 702s to 804s...worth it?
I've heard both in person...the 804s sounded better but idk if $3000 better.

Change my mind.

I would say the two are very different. 804s are more open with a much wider soundstage. Sonically the two sounds very different, 702 are bass heavy, 804s have an extra bit of clarity and openness that for me personally of totally worth extra 3K

#27,900 ·
This may be better suited to the general forum, but I thought I'd start out in this thread first. I have in my mind, for some reason, that a vintage 801 Series 80 is a wise purchase. I have never seen one in person, and I have never heard a pair, but I dig the look, and I *like* that it is a sealed box.

I've done a little research and know that I may need or want to update some of the internal bits, but I'm more interested in whether anybody has any experience with them. I'm not expecting current-gen levels of refinement or detail or high-end sparkle. I do kind of expect it to be a very dynamic speaker though with the large woofer, and in my mind I have expectations of a laid-back kind of sound. What would I need to be on the lookout for in terms of age and possible issues? I'm going to assume parts (thinking drivers here specifically) are just not available any more outside of auction sites so that's something already in my mind.

I've read a few random forum posts here and there about people who really enjoy them yet today, and others that have tinkered with the insides with good results, just hoping for up-to-date thoughts and opinions.