AVS Forum banner
4M views 30K replies 3K participants last post by  Tank_PD 
#1 ·
I noticed that I hadn't seen B&W OWNER'S thread , but that there are a lot of owners on this forum and I think that the consistant bashing from about 4 posters makes people hesitant to get involved in any of the many threads that keep getting nasty. So, to that end, I think that if there was a thread where the Lovefest could be conducted without bothering NON-owners and the bashers weren't welcome, maybe some good info could come out of it.

My challenge would be to ask people here to keep it civil and that if you don't like B&W there is no point in you being here. If you want to talk about other comporables, start another thread.

For the record, I am a B&W dealer , and most know this, and as such , if I can find out any important info on the brand or certain models, I will be happy to. Don't , however, post or pm me regarding sales, I don't use threads as advertising for my business, and I won't sell you anything .

So what do you own and how is it set-up?

#2 ·
My first B&W purchase was a pair of 602's. I used them in my straight 2.0 setup with a Carver CM-1090 integrated amp and an Onkyo DX-C390 CD changer. I was extremely happy with the sound.

If I hadn't had any money for an upgrade, I would have been fine with that as the 602's were good enough to enjoy for the rest of my life. Since I did have some extra cash (in a one-time only situation), I upgraded to the 705's. They are fantastic, and most likely my final speaker purchase. The imaging, in particular, is the most 3-dimensional I have ever heard. The bass is also strong enough that I feel no need for a sub in my 400 sq. ft. room, and is exceptionally articulate with zero trace of "muddiness".

#3 ·
There's a B&W forum on htguide.com as well, a pretty good source for all fans of B&W.

#4 ·
I recently upgraded from 602.5 and LCR60 center to 804S and HTM3S (I know I skipped the 700 series
).

I initally looked at the 703 and almost bought them until the dealer gave me a discount on the 804s. Still I sat and listened to both over a couple of sessions and went with the 804s. I'm using a pair of 600 S3 for the rear surrounds.

I started with a 70% HT and 30% music, but the 804s are changing that. Probably 50/50 now. I'm happy with my B&W's and that's what counts.

#6 ·
The reason the thread was titled and started in the way it was is to keep that element out of here.

It is a thread for owners, and if they want to dump on a thread , I hope they'll find another one.

#7 ·
Jake, do you have any thoughts on using the HTM4S along with a pair of 804S mains? I'd like to put together an 800 series system but AV cabinet I built will only allow up to a 22" wide center channel. I'd also prefer a set of "towers" for the mains.

#8 ·
I will probably take some heat for this but I can take it. I was first drawn to B&W by the mounting capabilities of the LM1, not the sound. I had a difficult situation for surrounds and the LM1's were one of the few products I came across that would work. Then I heard them and was very impressed with the presence and detail of this little speaker.

Well, then I had to change my mains. Having much more time than money allowed me to do alot of auditioning. I started with the 603 and heard the 604 in the same session and ended up prefering the 604. I heard many brands in many price ranges over the next 18 months and compared everything I heard to the 604's. The bottom line is I finally scored a pair of 604's and could not be happier. Actually I could be happier. I need to replace my center with the LCR 600

The whole thing sounds juicy through my Rotel 991 & 985 amps and Outlaw 950. I use 'juicy' as a descriptive term as much as an emotional one. From what I've heard of other brands B&W's design seems to be very full in the midbass and mids (some call it thick) yet clear, not harsh, in the highs.

Now I know the arguments against the B&W design and materials but I happen to like the particular coloration of these products. All audio products color the source in some way and finding which color you like is the real trick. I happen to like the Rotel and B&W combination and as soon as I can get my hands on a matching center I will be set for a long time.

#9 ·
Because I'm quite aware of the B&W bashers, as well as the ID boosters, I stay out of most B&W threads because I know they'll dissolve into pi**ing matches. The B&W haters will continue to hate regardless, and the ID crowd is convinced that any ID speaker is a better "value." There was a time on this forum, many moons ago, when B&W was a brand to be dreamed about. Ah, nostalgia.

Anyway, I have had B&W speakers in my home for seven years. We have a home theater room (living room) with Nautilus 805s, HTM2 and 601S2s for rears. I have a two-channel system in our family room with Nautilus 804 speakers teamed with a Rel Storm III sub. I'm completely satisfied with the B&W sound.

When I bought my first set of CDM 7Ses back in 1999, I must have listened to 20 different brands of speakers over a six-month period (Paradigm, Energy, NHT, Boston Acoustics, Dynaudio, Vandersteen etc.), but the CDM line and the Nautilus line really impressed me. I think I'm sold for life. My setups have inspired friends of mine, who purchased their own B&W home theater speakers.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have any further urge to buy new speakers. The last set I purchased was three years ago. I lust after the 802D and 803D, but I'm done for a while.

#10 ·
nice post Maccur, next time I'm in Santa Rosa I'll look you up.

Reactions: Badmonbuilt
#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lreid65 /forum/post/0

Jake, do you have any thoughts on using the HTM4S along with a pair of 804S mains? I'd like to put together an 800 series system but AV cabinet I built will only allow up to a 22" wide center channel. I'd also prefer a set of "towers" for the mains.

Actually I was in the same predicament concerning space. Although the HTM3S is a perfect match for the 804S, I simply did not have the room for it in my set up, so I opted for the HTM4S. The fact that it is $1200 less retail factored in heavily as well.

To my ears, the integration with the mains is excellent. Other than the Kevlar composition material, the mid range speakers are different in both size and cabinet design between the two, however I think that this is much less important than the tweeters, which are the exactly the same. When I listen to SACD the front soundstage is seamless - I can't tell where the mains end and the center picks up.

As you can see in the picture I do have a few tweaks left, namely putting a solid wedge platform under the center to aim the tweeter at ear level. And the center fits into the cabinet like a glove, I literally have a fraction of an inch on either side of the speaker. This is probably not ideal and certainly has a negative effect on the sound to some degree, but until I come up with a better wife approved alternative it is what it is.

But if space and budget are a concern between these two center channels, I highly recommend the HTM4S.

Thanks,

Brad

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clepto /forum/post/0

There's a B&W forum on htguide.com as well, a pretty good source for all fans of B&W.

Heh, if you can deal with the fascist way in which that forum is run that is... I don't recommend those fora (HTGuide) to anyone. If you don't share the incredibly ridiculous and extremely imaginative beliefs of most of the people who run the fora (and most of those who post there as well) be prepared to get targetted and eventually banned for your differing viewpoint.

#13 ·

Quote:

I would go with the HTM3S over the HTM4S. The HTM4S is meant to match the 805S, the HTM3S is more like the 803S and 804S. I quickly checked on their website as well... the HTM3S is meant to match the 803S and 804S. I would go with the HTM3S or risk something akin to the terrible sound match you get when you use the HTM7 with the 703s.

#14 ·
BTW, I started my B&W foray with two 703s, two 705s, an HTM7 and an ASW750. Those 703s were definitely terrific sounding speakers, which is why I bought that surround setup. Little did I realize how pathetically matched that HTM7 was compared to the 703s.

I traded my entire surround setup in for a pair of the 802Ds. I'm currently waiting for my new two channel optimized Home Theatre to be completed, at which point I will make the final decision on whether I will keep the 802Ds or possibly sell them for speakers from a different company. I love the sound of the 802Ds, but have been playing with the idea of upgrading to higher quality speakers. I don't feel there is enough of a difference between the 802Ds and the 801Ds and 800Ds to justify the prices (sound wise). I feel that for the price, the 802Ds are a great deal when compared to a lot of speakers I demoed, some that were even higher in price (though they were older in age - to be fair).

Until I make that final decision I am holding off on purchasing a center channel speaker and surround channel speakers. If I decide to keep them, I will likely buy the HTM1D for my center channel and 804S speakers for my surrounds. I have been considering the HTM2D though, so when it does come time to upgrade to the next generation of B&W speakers upgrading again won't be a tough choice money wise, as the HTM1D is even more expensive than the 802Ds (which I think is ridiculous...). If I could use a third 802D in my setup, I would, but it won't work in my theatre setup as I did not want to perforate my screen since my HT (particularly my front projector) is set up for high definition content (read my HT link in my signature for the details of my other equipment and my ongoing quest to complete my media room).

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wb2fcr /forum/post/0

I recently upgraded from 602.5 and LCR60 center to 804S and HTM3S (I know I skipped the 700 series
).

A wise decision, as the 700 series center channel is only good for the 705s IMO. The 703s do sound excellent though. I actually preferred them to the 804S. With the 804 though, you can match it with a great center channel speaker, making it worth the extra money IMO.

#17 ·

Quote:

BTW, I missed it before when reading your post, putting your speakers in an AV cabinet will ruin the sound. Just thought you should know... If you are going to do that to your speakers, you might as well just buy the cheapest speakers they make, since you won't be getting the sound quality the speakers were constructed to output because of how you will be placing them in your listening area. Sersiously consider saving yourself the money and buying something cheap, as it will be wasted money if you are planning to confine the speakers in that way.

#18 ·
Wow, despite surely being one of the most purchased speaker brands this thread isn't getting much attention. Since our friends with controversial opinions were stymied from the start I guess there isn't much to say other than the fact that they make damn fine speakers.

With that I am going to go bask in the glorious mid range of my 804S with Shostokovich's 2nd piano concerto.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raldeby /forum/post/0

Wow, despite surely being one of the most purchased speaker brands this thread isn't getting much attention. Since our friends with controversial opinions were stymied from the start I guess there isn't much to say other than the fact that they make damn fine speakers.

With that I am going to go bask in the glorious mid range of my 804S with Shostokovich's 2nd piano concerto.

If it were a "previous" owners thread, I would post, but since it isn't I've got nothing to say, other than enjoy!