*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 258 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 558Likes

post #7711 of 7906 Old 02-14-2018, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Hey guys, we're doing a little sale for Valentine's Day with 20% off all surround speakers including the Verus II Grand Bookshelf and Verus Surround.

Great time to complete your system or upgrade!

https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/surrounds
darthray likes this.

Aperion Intimus 5T towers, Intimus 6C center, 4B bookshelves and S8-APR, Onkyo TXNR-809
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7712 of 7906 Old 02-14-2018, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked: 3455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
Hey guys, we're doing a little sale for Valentine's Day with 20% off all surround speakers including the Verus II Grand Bookshelf and Verus Surround.

Great time to complete your system or upgrade!

https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/surrounds

Thanks for posting on this thread

It might help others to make the Big Jump

As a previous customer, I saw that one (through e-mail), but was thinking "too bad it was not on, or the previous sale, when getting speakers for Atmos duty".

Ray
Hicks likes this.
post #7713 of 7906 Old 02-15-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
Thanks for posting on this thread

It might help others to make the Big Jump

As a previous customer, I saw that one (through e-mail), but was thinking "too bad it was not on, or the previous sale, when getting speakers for Atmos duty".

Ray
Thanks Ray, perhaps a set of speakers for another room?

Aperion Intimus 5T towers, Intimus 6C center, 4B bookshelves and S8-APR, Onkyo TXNR-809
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7714 of 7906 Old 02-15-2018, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Ray, perhaps a set of speakers for another room?

LOL

I don't know if you ever check my signature, but it is the only room where serious sound is warrant, BD movies and music only.
Nothing else in the rest of the house other than a TV and a $100 Wal Mart, stereo system
But good enough for my wife Hip Hop, while she cooks (She love cooking, to try to fat me-up, but I am a steady 128lb)

On a more serious note, I mention/recommend your products often
Just try to stay none bias, depending of the member need.

Ray
Hicks likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 02-15-2018 at 07:36 PM.
post #7715 of 7906 Old 02-19-2018, 10:37 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Looks like there's another sale on all surround speakers now. 20% off ain't bad.

I know it depends on setup scenario, but would you guys choose bookshelves or bipoles? Would you do a combo for 5.1 vs 7.1?

__________________________________________________ _________________________

Aperion Audio Allaire - Saving my pennies to get the Verus Grands!
post #7716 of 7906 Old 02-19-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL

I don't know if you ever check my signature, but it is the only room where serious sound is warrant, BD movies and music only.
Nothing else in the rest of the house other than a TV and a $100 Wal Mart, stereo system
But good enough for my wife Hip Hop, while she cooks (She love cooking, to try to fat me-up, but I am a steady 128lb)

Ray
$100 Walmart system???

Get this guy a pair of 4Bs and a desktop amp!!!

post #7717 of 7906 Old 02-19-2018, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL

Ray
Quote:
$100 Walmart system???

Get this guy a pair of 4Bs and a desktop amp!!!

LOL

You meant gal, didn't you?

Anyhow, I did once offer a pair of Verus Grand Bookshelf's, with a small AVR from Outlaw Audio
She decline with a Big NO

She's happy and that all it matter, and more money for my toys

Ray
Hicks likes this.
post #7718 of 7906 Old 02-20-2018, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
LOL

You meant gal, didn't you?

Anyhow, I did once offer a pair of Verus Grand Bookshelf's, with a small AVR from Outlaw Audio
She decline with a Big NO

She's happy and that all it matter, and more money for my toys

Ray

As a married man myself, cannot argue with that!
darthray likes this.

post #7719 of 7906 Old 02-26-2018, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quick question

I'm trying to work a value proposition for my wife.
I have BA VR2's and a small BA center. We have to crank it up to hear the voices if we are eating chips or something.
If I get the new Aperions, will the power be sufficient enough where I don't have to max out my new Yamaha RX-A3060? It has plenty of power but the center is terribly low.
I want the Verus II Grands bad. lol

Yamaha RX-A3060 (And freakin love it!)
Vintage Pioneer SX-980 for 2-channel vinyl playback
Oppo UDP-205
Boston Acoustic Ref Speakers
Music Hall 5.1 TT
08 Blacked out Harley Springer Softail w/ 16" Ape hangers
post #7720 of 7906 Old 02-26-2018, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insaneharleyguy View Post
I have BA VR2's and a small BA center. We have to crank it up to hear the voices if we are eating chips or something.
If I get the new Aperions, will the power be sufficient enough where I don't have to max out my new Yamaha RX-A3060? It has plenty of power but the center is terribly low.
Hi there,

Yeah the power with that receiver definitely isn't the issue. A lot of factors though in determining how much you have to crank up the volume to hear the dialogue from a movie, such as the size of your room, how far you sit away from the screen, the position of the speaker and the channel level of your center speaker in the receiver.

Having said all of that, the Verus II Grand Center and should be a huge step up from a small BA speaker. It's recommended that you sit around 15 feet or closer to the screen and to place it as close to ear level as you can.

I think you'll be really happy with it and I hope you give it a shot, just let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!

post #7721 of 7906 Old 02-26-2018, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Hi there,

Yeah the power with that receiver definitely isn't the issue. A lot of factors though in determining how much you have to crank up the volume to hear the dialogue from a movie, such as the size of your room, how far you sit away from the screen, the position of the speaker and the channel level of your center speaker in the receiver.

Having said all of that, the Verus II Grand Center and should be a huge step up from a small BA speaker. It's recommended that you sit around 15 feet or closer to the screen and to place it as close to ear level as you can.

I think you'll be really happy with it and I hope you give it a shot, just let me know if you have any other questions, thanks!
Thank you, Mr. Hicks!

That is what I thought. I sit only about 7' from the speaker and still have to crank it which should not be the case.
My fronts and sub are booming at that point so the Grands should definitely help there.
Hicks likes this.

Yamaha RX-A3060 (And freakin love it!)
Vintage Pioneer SX-980 for 2-channel vinyl playback
Oppo UDP-205
Boston Acoustic Ref Speakers
Music Hall 5.1 TT
08 Blacked out Harley Springer Softail w/ 16" Ape hangers
post #7722 of 7906 Old 02-26-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you, Mr. Hicks!

That is what I thought. I sit only about 7' from the speaker and still have to crank it which should not be the case.
My fronts and sub are booming at that point so the Grands should definitely help there.
Excellent, happy to help and enjoy!

post #7723 of 7906 Old 02-26-2018, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 149
My first generation 12D may be dead...sorta

So, starting Saturday, when I turn on the sub, there is white noise coming out of it. I have verified it is not coming through the amp, as it is still there when I unplug the audio cable.

The sub does work, and it still pounds when bass is being fed to it. It is just the white noise will not go away. Even when the sub it pounding bass, the sound is still in the background.

The LCD display has not worked for years. It lights up, but you cannot see anything other than the light green backlight.

This thing has been working great for what has to be around 10 years, so I am quite sad about this. The noise is just to much to deal with. Reminds me of the old days of having your TV in between channels.

I figure I would put this out there in hopes it might be something (Hicks?) might have heard of before, and there might be some fairy/rainbow/unicorn happy ending for this sad story?
post #7724 of 7906 Old 02-26-2018, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemon View Post
So, starting Saturday, when I turn on the sub, there is white noise coming out of it. I have verified it is not coming through the amp, as it is still there when I unplug the audio cable.

The sub does work, and it still pounds when bass is being fed to it. It is just the white noise will not go away. Even when the sub it pounding bass, the sound is still in the background.

The LCD display has not worked for years. It lights up, but you cannot see anything other than the light green backlight.

This thing has been working great for what has to be around 10 years, so I am quite sad about this. The noise is just to much to deal with. Reminds me of the old days of having your TV in between channels.

I figure I would put this out there in hopes it might be something (Hicks?) might have heard of before, and there might be some fairy/rainbow/unicorn happy ending for this sad story?
Yeah I'm sorry to say that there is no cure for your issue short of replacing the sub amp, which we ran out of long ago since that model is indeed around 10 years old. 10 years is a good amount of lifetime for a sub amp of its type.

If you do want to get a new 12D just let me know and I'm sure we can help you out as a returning customer, thanks!

post #7725 of 7906 Old 02-26-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm sorry to say that there is no cure for your issue short of replacing the sub amp, which we ran out of long ago since that model is indeed around 10 years old. 10 years is a good amount of lifetime for a sub amp of its type.

If you do want to get a new 12D just let me know and I'm sure we can help you out as a returning customer, thanks!
What a shame. Nothing wrong with the drivers. Wish it was the other way around. Back in the day, I would probably try to work in another amp, but I am too old for that crap. I guess if somebody needs replacement drivers, hit me up
post #7726 of 7906 Old 02-27-2018, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi
New to learning about the Aperion line. Can anyone comment how the Versus 2 towers compare to SVS Ultra towers? I know this is subjective, but just starting my research on the Versus. Main usage with be HT/movies. Thanks!
post #7727 of 7906 Old 02-27-2018, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenb21 View Post
Hi
New to learning about the Aperion line. Can anyone comment how the Versus 2 towers compare to SVS Ultra towers? I know this is subjective, but just starting my research on the Versus. Main usage with be HT/movies. Thanks!
I haven't heard the SVS speakers, only read about them. I've owned and heard a bunch of Aperion speakers including the V1 version of the Verus Grands. I would say if you were using for music to go with the Aperions. I prefer a soft dome tweeter to a metal tweeter which I think the SVS's use, but that's just my preference. For movies however the SVS speakers may be a bit more dynamic as they use larger drivers and on paper dig deeper. That being said, I never felt my Aperions were lacking on movies especially because I have a good sub. I think you can't go wrong with either. You could order both and demo side by side and keep the winner. That would be interesting.
Hicks likes this.

2 Channel "Man Nook"
Primaluna Dialogue One/Salk Song3's/Exogal Comet/Job 225
Home Theater Room/Kids Lounge
Emotiva XMC-1, XPA-2, XPA-100, BasX A-500
GE Triton 2's/Aperion VG Center/Paradigm Cinema Surrounds/Rythmik LVX12
post #7728 of 7906 Old 02-27-2018, 10:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by abd1 View Post
I haven't heard the SVS speakers, only read about them. I've owned and heard a bunch of Aperion speakers including the V1 version of the Verus Grands. I would say if you were using for music to go with the Aperions. I prefer a soft dome tweeter to a metal tweeter which I think the SVS's use, but that's just my preference. For movies however the SVS speakers may be a bit more dynamic as they use larger drivers and on paper dig deeper. That being said, I never felt my Aperions were lacking on movies especially because I have a good sub. I think you can't go wrong with either. You could order both and demo side by side and keep the winner. That would be interesting.
Yes, agreed with abd1, that's what the 60 day in-home audition is all about, give them a shot and if we don't beat the SVS set, then send back on our dime.

I hope you try them out!

post #7729 of 7906 Old 02-27-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:

You've got mail!!
post #7730 of 7906 Old 02-27-2018, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManBarra View Post
Looks like there's another sale on all surround speakers now. 20% off ain't bad.

I know it depends on setup scenario, but would you guys choose bookshelves or bipoles? Would you do a combo for 5.1 vs 7.1?
When I had a 5.1 set-up, I had bipoles and sounded good.
But when moving to a 7.1, I had direct for the rear, and also sounded good.
Then I tried direct for the side surrounds, and it sounded better.

With the way sound is recorded in a 7.1 system, and also 5.1 now a day.
The sound Engineer, have more liberty to pin point sound around the room
Now a day, I think direct is the way to go, long are past the surrounds were there just for a little ambiance.

Just my personal preference from what I heard

Sorry it took so long to reply, since your question was ask, I must have miss that post

Ray
post #7731 of 7906 Old 02-27-2018, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi there,

+1

Quote:

Do it!, DO IT!!!

If your better half is willing to let you get them, try them.
You will not be disappointed.
They sound very good with lots of details in the sound, but never overwhelming on the high spectrum of the sound.
Just a very nice neutral sound, with all the small detail in-it, and they can play loud when demanded upon

Nothing to loose with a very generous Home try
And do not forget to get the Lady of the House, something very nice!

Ray
Insaneharleyguy and Hicks like this.
post #7732 of 7906 Old 02-27-2018, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Quote:
Hi
Can't really comment on the SVS as have not heard them, however, I have long been an Aperion owner and started with their entry, then moved to mid-level and now have owned the Verus Grands for several years. Couldn't be happier with the way they sound, especially in my dedicated home theater now and have been properly calibrated I use mine mainly for movies and video games to give you an idea
darthray, Hicks and Kenb21 like this.
post #7733 of 7906 Old 03-01-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hey guys, we're doing a spring sale with 20% off our open box product, some great deals available:

https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/open-box

post #7734 of 7906 Old 03-08-2018, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So my current setup is a 5C, 2x 5T, and a Bravus II 8D sub. Saw the email about an open box sale and I've been thinking about upgrading my sub, so now I'm probably going to do it.

Backstory:
Had the setup for a few years now, no issues. Was running all the audio through HDMI to my TV and back to Denon S700W through ARC (so just DD+ signal to receiver at best) since the receiver didn't do 4K HDR. Recently upgraded to an X1300W, so now everything is routed straight to the receiver. I was watching Rogue One the other day (DTS-HD MA) and in multiple scenes I heard a clanging/banging noise. LFE was set to 120Hz, level -5.5 dB (after running Audyssey setup). I hadn't had this issue before. I checked the drivers and there aren't any cracks (I did have torn passive drivers before and Aperion replaced them, and that definitely sounded different than this banging/clanging noise). Tried bringing LFE down to 80Hz and level to -7.0 dB with no affect.

I emailed Aperion customer support and they said it sounds like the sub is bottoming out. Strange thing is this hasn't happened before, though this was my first time watching this specific movie. I even had everything routed through the S700W when I first got my setup since I had a normal 1080p TV. I wasn't listening any louder than before. But now I do have the X1300W with MultiEQ XT instead of the standard MultiEQ on the S700W.

So two questions:
  1. Do y'all agree that the sub is just bottoming out? Or do I have some setting incorrect, or is the sub failing? I hadn't had any issues until now, and haven't had any issues with music or TV shows, but I also changed the rest of my setup through the years.
  2. If I should upgrade, should I get the 10D or 12D? My room is fairly large (open floor plan house with combined family/dining/kitchen area), the whole room has tile floors, vaulted ceilings, and the sub sits in a corner behind the TV. Size is not the issue, it's whether the extra $$ is worth it to step up to the 12D. My dad had an Aperion setup for a while, but he also had the 8D, so that's all I've ever heard.
post #7735 of 7906 Old 03-09-2018, 12:58 AM

Also, as a more general question, what is the correct crossover for the sub? Everything I've read online as a general practice says if you have a sub set your front speakers to Small, even if they're towers and MultiEQ sets them as Large. Then set your receiver to LFE, not LFE+Main. I used to cross the sub and towers at 80Hz, but then was reading that the LFE channel of movies contains frequencies up to 120Hz, which you lose if you set the LFE crossover to 80Hz. So currently I have the LFE and R/L/C crossovers all at 120Hz. Is this the best setup? Or is there a better combination?
post #7736 of 7906 Old 03-09-2018, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Hey guys, we're doing a spring sale with 20% off our open box product, some great deals available:

https://www.aperionaudio.com/speakers/open-box
There seems to be a mistake: the open box prices appear to be 20% off the new price, rather than 20% off the open box price.
post #7737 of 7906 Old 03-10-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis_avs View Post
There seems to be a mistake: the open box prices appear to be 20% off the new price, rather than 20% off the open box price.
I assumed that was the deal, 20% off new price since it's open box sounds pretty good to me. 20% off the already discounted open box price would be killer for the 12D I just ordered.

Last edited by football751; 03-12-2018 at 10:20 PM.
post #7738 of 7906 Old 03-12-2018, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by football751 View Post
So my current setup is a 5C, 2x 5T, and a Bravus II 8D sub. Saw the email about an open box sale and I've been thinking about upgrading my sub, so now I'm probably going to do it.

Backstory:
Had the setup for a few years now, no issues. Was running all the audio through HDMI to my TV and back to Denon S700W through ARC (so just DD+ signal to receiver at best) since the receiver didn't do 4K HDR. Recently upgraded to an X1300W, so now everything is routed straight to the receiver. I was watching Rogue One the other day (DTS-HD MA) and in multiple scenes I heard a clanging/banging noise. LFE was set to 120Hz, level -5.5 dB (after running Audyssey setup). I hadn't had this issue before. I checked the drivers and there aren't any cracks (I did have torn passive drivers before and Aperion replaced them, and that definitely sounded different than this banging/clanging noise). Tried bringing LFE down to 80Hz and level to -7.0 dB with no affect.

I emailed Aperion customer support and they said it sounds like the sub is bottoming out. Strange thing is this hasn't happened before, though this was my first time watching this specific movie. I even had everything routed through the S700W when I first got my setup since I had a normal 1080p TV. I wasn't listening any louder than before. But now I do have the X1300W with MultiEQ XT instead of the standard MultiEQ on the S700W.

So two questions:
  1. Do y'all agree that the sub is just bottoming out? Or do I have some setting incorrect, or is the sub failing? I hadn't had any issues until now, and haven't had any issues with music or TV shows, but I also changed the rest of my setup through the years.
  2. If I should upgrade, should I get the 10D or 12D? My room is fairly large (open floor plan house with combined family/dining/kitchen area), the whole room has tile floors, vaulted ceilings, and the sub sits in a corner behind the TV. Size is not the issue, it's whether the extra $$ is worth it to step up to the 12D. My dad had an Aperion setup for a while, but he also had the 8D, so that's all I've ever heard.
Quote:
Also, as a more general question, what is the correct crossover for the sub? Everything I've read online as a general practice says if you have a sub set your front speakers to Small, even if they're towers and MultiEQ sets them as Large. Then set your receiver to LFE, not LFE+Main. I used to cross the sub and towers at 80Hz, but then was reading that the LFE channel of movies contains frequencies up to 120Hz, which you lose if you set the LFE crossover to 80Hz. So currently I have the LFE and R/L/C crossovers all at 120Hz. Is this the best setup? Or is there a better combination?

Hello,

Hmmm, I would have to agree with the gurus and say that the sub is probably bottoming out. Since it's just an 8 inch woofer it's not too difficult to make it bottom out on particularly bass heavy scenes of which they are some in Rogue One, like the battle on Jedha for instance. Even though you have the channel level set low at -7 dB, if the overall receiver volume or the knob on the back of the sub is turned up enough the sub will bottom out with frequencies that are under 28 Hz or so. Looks like you went ahead and ordered the 12D so that will be a significant upgrade and you shouldn't hear any bottoming out unless you really have all the volume levels cranked. I hope that helps and enjoy the new sub!

Quote:
I assumed that was the deal, 20% off new price since it's open box sounds pretty good to me. 30% off the already discounted open box price would be killer for the 12D I just ordered.

Correct, the sale is 20% off the new price, so an additional 10% off on top of the usual 10% off for open box.

post #7739 of 7906 Old 03-23-2018, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Happy Friday everyone!

Site wide 20% off sale going right now, use the code APRIL20 to get in on it.

Yes, it's active now!
gpzbc likes this.

post #7740 of 7906 Old 03-23-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 233 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9365 Post(s)
Liked: 6451
Quote:
Happy Friday everyone!

Site wide 20% off sale going right now, use the code APRIL20 to get in on it.

Yes, it's active now!
Two questions, when will the Gloss Cherry Verus towers be back in stock do you think and it seems that you offer free returns on "new condition" towers, is that true?

Thanks.

Geoff A. J., California
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
allaire , Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , bravus , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page