*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 262 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 558Likes

post #7831 of 7907 Old 09-25-2018, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2546 Post(s)
Liked: 4171
Quote:
Originally Posted by AperionSteve View Post
Hey Guys!

I see our new Super Tweeter has caused a little bit of a stir here. While they are certainly not for everyone, they really can help open up the top-end of most speakers. Of course, the source material plays a role as well - you won't get much benefit with Mp3's. But vinyl, SACD, FLAC and other hi-res formats (as well as 4K discs which are 24/48) can benefit from something like this. Super Tweeters haven't gotten much attention here in the US, but they are quite popular in Europe. We thought it produced some interesting results and was actually beneficial, so we decided make one! I totally understand that there are many people that don't want to put something on top of their existing speaker, but for those that don't mind it can be a pretty cool addition.

Ray - I know you've been very supportive of Aperion over the years and we really appreciate that! This product is not meant to be a gimmick or some archaic resurrection of snake-oil-energy-crystals, it actually does affect the sound. Even though human hearing only extends up to 20 kHz (or less in my case), you can still sense frequencies above that range. The harmonics in the 20-30 kHz range do affect how the sound waves act within normal hearing below 20 kHz as well. Plus, I'm sure your cats would enjoy hearing the extended range on some Mahler or Bartok. Hopefully, you'll give us a pass on this one even if you're not into the Super Tweeter.

Yes Mark, you correctly point out that it has a built-in 5-point crossover (8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 kHz) that you can adjust to match your speakers. I hope you like them!

-Steve

Hi Steve, I guess Hicks, is no longer around
Nothing against you at all, I just always enjoy his post.

That said, if part of a design of a new speaker line, I would have absolutely no problem with these tweeter, just not as an add on. By the way, very nice Avatar, very well done!!!

Ray
AperionSteve likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 09-25-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7832 of 7907 Old 09-26-2018, 08:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 7
It's all good! Yeah, Hicks is awesome. I hope we get to work with him again soon.

I can't say anything definitively, but I know there are plans to incorporate this in a new line down the road.

-Steve

Aperion Audio Verus II Grand Towers, Verus II Grand Center, Verus Surround Di/Bipoles
post #7833 of 7907 Old 10-01-2018, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Hey Guys!

I see our new Super Tweeter has caused a little bit of a stir here. While they are certainly not for everyone, they really can help open up the top-end of most speakers. Of course, the source material plays a role as well - you won't get much benefit with Mp3's. But vinyl, SACD, FLAC and other hi-res formats (as well as 4K discs which are 24/48) can benefit from something like this. Super Tweeters haven't gotten much attention here in the US, but they are quite popular in Europe. We thought it produced some interesting results and was actually beneficial, so we decided make one! I totally understand that there are many people that don't want to put something on top of their existing speaker, but for those that don't mind it can be a pretty cool addition.

Ray - I know you've been very supportive of Aperion over the years and we really appreciate that! This product is not meant to be a gimmick or some archaic resurrection of snake-oil-energy-crystals, it actually does affect the sound. Even though human hearing only extends up to 20 kHz (or less in my case), you can still sense frequencies above that range. The harmonics in the 20-30 kHz range do affect how the sound waves act within normal hearing below 20 kHz as well. Plus, I'm sure your cats would enjoy hearing the extended range on some Mahler or Bartok. Hopefully, you'll give us a pass on this one even if you're not into the Super Tweeter.

Yes Mark, you correctly point out that it has a built-in 5-point crossover (8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 kHz) that you can adjust to match your speakers. I hope you like them!

-Steve
Well I've had the Super Tweeters a few days now. They do exactly as advertised. With music using Tidal with Roon I notice the improvement more than with my Dish satellite. Obviously the source matters. Well worth what I paid.
gpzbc and vavan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7834 of 7907 Old 10-02-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grappler1911 View Post
Well I've had the Super Tweeters a few days now. They do exactly as advertised. With music using Tidal with Roon I notice the improvement more than with my Dish satellite. Obviously the source matters. Well worth what I paid.
That's great to hear! Just out of curiosity, which crossover setting are you using?

Aperion Audio Verus II Grand Towers, Verus II Grand Center, Verus Surround Di/Bipoles
post #7835 of 7907 Old 10-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Just wanted to comment that every time I cue up a movie or play a game in The Force Theater, I absolutely love the sound coming from my 3 calibrated Verus Grand Towers!
darthray likes this.
post #7836 of 7907 Old 10-02-2018, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
That's great to hear! Just out of curiosity, which crossover setting are you using?
10 right now.
post #7837 of 7907 Old 10-02-2018, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2327 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
does anyone have much experience with the intimus
522d package? my local c/list has some offered at a great price .. my main interest is how they will be with music as opposed to HT.. i am sure they are better than avg. for ht...the asked price is pretty great ($150, for the 5.1 system...)

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in

Last edited by Lp85253; 10-02-2018 at 01:40 PM.
post #7838 of 7907 Old 10-02-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post
Just wanted to comment that every time I cue up a movie or play a game in The Force Theater, I absolutely love the sound coming from my 3 calibrated Verus Grand Towers!
That is an EPIC theater - nice work! I especially like the wineglass holders.....
darthray and jedi1982 like this.

post #7839 of 7907 Old 10-02-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lp85253 View Post
does anyone have much experience with the 522d package? my local c/list has some offered at a great price .. my main interest is how they will be with music as opposed to HT.. i am sure they are better than avg. for ht...the asked price is pretty great ($150, for the 5.1 system...)
$150 for the 5.1 is pretty awesome (originally close to $2K). We try to voice all of our speakers sound good for music as well as HT - so they should be able to perform well there. It has been a few years since I've heard those guys, but I remember liking their warm sound. Can't go wrong for that price!

-Steve
darthray likes this.

post #7840 of 7907 Old 10-02-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
$150 for the 5.1 is pretty awesome (originally close to $2K). We try to voice all of our speakers sound good for music as well as HT - so they should be able to perform well there. It has been a few years since I've heard those guys, but I remember liking their warm sound. Can't go wrong for that price!

-Steve
thanks , i will give it some thought .. sounds like they are a decent deal..

YAMAHA TSR 5790.. front l/r Dennis Murphy modded emotiva b1's ..BIC v1220.....Emotiva basx10.... infinity alpha 20 center.. polk t15 rears..samsung 55" j620d
bedroom .. YAMAHA r-xv 383... front l/r.. ascend cbm 170 se... kef q100 center ... Emotiva basx8... samsung ku6300 50 in
post #7841 of 7907 Old 10-04-2018, 11:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Sale on Grand's

Looks like their on sale again but I'm holding out for Black Friday prices and keeping my eyes on Ascend's and some Revel towers. unless maybe Aperion suddenly adds their new ribbon tweeters to the VGT's at a not unreasonable price. I'd pick up a pair of those and a matching center, in a heartbeat, with a decent pre-order discount.
post #7842 of 7907 Old 10-05-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9781 Post(s)
Liked: 6792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebaru View Post
Looks like their on sale again but I'm holding out for Black Friday prices and keeping my eyes on Ascend's and some Revel towers. unless maybe Aperion suddenly adds their new ribbon tweeters to the VGT's at a not unreasonable price. I'd pick up a pair of those and a matching center, in a heartbeat, with a decent pre-order discount.
Question for you and other Aperion folks.

Aperion says "free returns on regular price items" so does that mean when they put things on sale the "free returns" are off the table?

Geoff A. J., California
post #7843 of 7907 Old 10-05-2018, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That is an EPIC theater - nice work! I especially like the wineglass holders.....
It is a great theater, jedi1982 did an outstanding job

I have not look at Jedi room lately, but will go check out the wineglass holder.

Ray
jedi1982 likes this.
post #7844 of 7907 Old 10-05-2018, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

-Steve
Quote:
thanks , i will give it some thought .. sounds like they are a decent deal..

While I did nor hear these particular speakers, at that price, I would not think about-it too long.
If not they could be gone very fast.

That said the price seem very low, so make sure you use a secure way not to get screw, if it is a scam.

Ray
post #7845 of 7907 Old 10-05-2018, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

Aperion says "free returns on regular price items" so does that mean when they put things on sale the "free returns" are off the table?

No idea on this one, perhaps AperionSteve, will answer you back.

That said after getting my original version of the VGT, center and 4 bookshelf's, for a very little time. I recycle the boxes since I knew they were keeper. and still have them

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 10-05-2018 at 06:29 PM.
post #7846 of 7907 Old 10-05-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
It is a great theater, jedi1982 did an outstanding job

I have not look at Jedi room lately, but will go check out the wineglass holder.

Ray

very classy!

Quote:

Hey jedi, been a long time since we have communicate between each other.

Out of curiosity, your are listing the VGT series I, as your front three, in your equipment list.
Do you still use them has I do, since I am still very happy with mine, or did you change them for the series II.

Ray
post #7847 of 7907 Old 10-06-2018, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
While I did nor hear these particular speakers, at that price, I would not think about-it too long.
If not they could be gone very fast.

That said the price seem very low, so make sure you use a secure way not to get screw, if it is a scam.

Ray
i didn't do it ... the guy had them posted twice in 2 different parts of the metro area at 2 different prices .. he has other stereo adds as well , i don't know it's a scam , but it raised a red flag for me.. i would rather buy new every time than take a risk on getting burned.. it happened once .. that's my limit..
darthray likes this.

post #7848 of 7907 Old 10-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
very classy!

Hey jedi, been a long time since we have communicate between each other.

Out of curiosity, your are listing the VGT series I, as your front three, in your equipment list.
Do you still use them has I do, since I am still very happy with mine, or did you change them for the series II.

Ray
Hey! I'm still using the VGT series I and sound great dialed in
darthray likes this.
post #7849 of 7907 Old 10-06-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
i didn't do it ... the guy had them posted twice in 2 different parts of the metro area at 2 different prices .. he has other stereo adds as well , i don't know it's a scam , but it raised a red flag for me.. i would rather buy new every time than take a risk on getting burned.. it happened once .. that's my limit..

I think you made the right decision.

From your reply, indeed, this is a Big Red Flag, either a scam or stolen equipment.

Ray
Lp85253 likes this.
post #7850 of 7907 Old 10-06-2018, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hey! I'm still using the VGT series I and sound great dialed in

Great to hear, I never had the need to replace mine, they sound very good and play very loud, when ask upon

Like what you did in your thread, from your Signature Theatre link.
You move all the picture of the completed Theater at the beginning, instead having to try looking for them through out the thread, very well done.

Ray
jedi1982 likes this.
post #7851 of 7907 Old 10-08-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post

Yes that is correct. We still do free return shipping on purchases at our normal prices, but on discounted speakers we cannot provide complimentary return labels. It was either this or raise the prices of our speakers. Both UPS and FEDEX have increased their rates so we had to adjust somewhere and since sale items are discounted already, there isn't the margin for return shipping. We decided this was better than raising all of our prices overall.

-Steve

Last edited by AperionSteve; 10-08-2018 at 09:31 AM.
post #7852 of 7907 Old 10-08-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9781 Post(s)
Liked: 6792
Quote:
Yes that is correct. We still do free return shipping on purchases at our normal prices, but on discounted speakers we cannot provide complimentary return labels. It was either this or raise the prices of our speakers. Both UPS and FEDEX have increased their rates so we had to adjust somewhere and since sale items are discounted already, there isn't the margin for return shipping. We decided his was better than raising all of our prices overall.

-Steve
Thanks for the clarification.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7853 of 7907 Old 10-08-2018, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes that is correct. We still do free return shipping on purchases at our normal prices, but on discounted speakers we cannot provide complimentary return labels. It was either this or raise the prices of our speakers. Both UPS and FEDEX have increased their rates so we had to adjust somewhere and since sale items are discounted already, there isn't the margin for return shipping. We decided this was better than raising all of our prices overall.

-Steve

This do make sense, as a business to do

Ray
post #7854 of 7907 Old 10-18-2018, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
New Verus III, Available!

I'm guessing some of the rest of you got the e-mail today also. The New VGIII 's are now available, I think I was on their site checking to see if prices had gone down, for Black Friday, when the new line was posted. Several evolutionary improvements including an upgraded tweeter, though not the new ribbon tweeter. Looks exactly the same except for the new tweeter mod adjustment on the back, which allows a -3 db adjustment and (on the towers} the inclusion of two foam port plugs, which can be used to tune the base/room response. Prices stayed the same.

There does appear to be an error in the specifications, as the tower is listed to have a 5.25" mid and a 6.5" woofer in one place and in another lists them as 5 & 6", like the VGII towers. Size and weight are exactly the same as before.
gpzbc likes this.
post #7855 of 7907 Old 10-19-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
There does appear to be an error in the specifications, as the tower is listed to have a 5.25" mid and a 6.5" woofer in one place and in another lists them as 5 & 6", like the VGII towers. Size and weight are exactly the same as before.
Hey Bluebaru,

This is not an error - it's actually more of a correction. The size of the midrange and woofers have been the same from the original Verus to Verus III. I think when the original Verus was released, they were referred to as 5" & 6" out of simplicity and it just stuck through to Verus II. But the sizes are actually 136.3mm (5.37") on the mids and 165.5mm (6.52") on the woofer. So, the new change is just to reflect a more accurate representation of what the drivers actually are. Thanks for pointing it out!

-Steve
gpzbc likes this.

post #7856 of 7907 Old 10-20-2018, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

-Steve
This is a refreshingly candid post as I have just begun to peruse this thread after someone suggested the 5C may be voiced smoothly to get me in the same sonic ballpark as the proprietary soft sticky dome tweeter and mid woofs in my vintage ads towers.

But now I see the GV on sale and the new Gv3. ......mmmmmm maybe I’ll orde both and give it a shot...
post #7857 of 7907 Old 10-30-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzz View Post
This is a refreshingly candid post as I have just begun to peruse this thread after someone suggested the 5C may be voiced smoothly to get me in the same sonic ballpark as the proprietary soft sticky dome tweeter and mid woofs in my vintage ads towers.

But now I see the GV on sale and the new Gv3. ......mmmmmm maybe I’ll orde both and give it a shot...

Well I ordered a VG II center....Its quite large and have not really dialed it in yet but it projects into my room very well....and i compared it directly to the SF chameleon Center...the SF was too bright.....

Bottom line thus far is has a generally warm demeanor, but can a bit strident on certain programs...but that's mostly due to programming
post #7858 of 7907 Old 11-01-2018, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Well I ordered a VG II center....Its quite large and have not really dialed it in yet but it projects into my room very well....and i compared it directly to the SF chameleon Center...the SF was too bright.....

Bottom line thus far is has a generally warm demeanor, but can a bit strident on certain programs...but that's mostly due to programming
I forgot to ask in my prior post.....the VG2 center has a phase type switch in the back to toggle between on stand and cabinet. Would you run your AVR room correction With the switch in the psorion you will use? Does it may difference with low level grade YPAO ?
post #7859 of 7907 Old 11-02-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I forgot to ask in my prior post.....the VG2 center has a phase type switch in the back to toggle between on stand and cabinet. Would you run your AVR room correction With the switch in the psorion you will use? Does it may difference with low level grade YPAO ?
Hi kbuzz,

I would normally suggest setting the VoiceRight switch to the correct position prior to running the room correction software if the center will be living in a cabinet. The "Near Wall" setting attenuates the low frequencies below 650Hz to help reduce boominess from being in a cabinet or near the wall. The "On Stand" setting would be for normal use. But of course, you can always leave it in the "On Stand" position and let the YPAO do it's thing if you prefer. It might be worth an experiment in both positions to see what works best for your room.

-Steve

post #7860 of 7907 Old 11-02-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Hi kbuzz,

I would normally suggest setting the VoiceRight switch to the correct position prior to running the room correction software if the center will be living in a cabinet. The "Near Wall" setting attenuates the low frequencies below 650Hz to help reduce boominess from being in a cabinet or near the wall. The "On Stand" setting would be for normal use. But of course, you can always leave it in the "On Stand" position and let the YPAO do it's thing if you prefer. It might be worth an experiment in both positions to see what works best for your room.

-Steve
thanks im using the on stand position, since its well on a stand...ill try both though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
allaire , Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , bravus , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page