*** The Official APERION Thread *** - Page 263 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 551Likes

post #7861 of 7901 Old 11-10-2018, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Verus I GCC vs. Verus III GCC

Undoubtedly a common question ... I have Verus I GCC for many years and like it a lot. Will Verus III GCC offer me much improvement? Main interest is dialogue intelligibility. Seems that is something that can always be better.

If I order, I would set up both Verus I and III with AB switch to quickly compare them with some favorite dialogue intensive scenes. If I can't hear much of a difference, I would return the new one.

But neither I nor Aperion would want to go through all of that effort if it is kind of known that the difference would be minimal - at best.

Maybe someone has upgraded from I to III?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7862 of 7901 Old 11-10-2018, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by console View Post
Undoubtedly a common question ... I have Verus I GCC for many years and like it a lot. Will Verus III GCC offer me much improvement? Main interest is dialogue intelligibility. Seems that is something that can always be better.

If I order, I would set up both Verus I and III with AB switch to quickly compare them with some favorite dialogue intensive scenes. If I can't hear much of a difference, I would return the new one.

Maybe someone has upgraded from I to III?
I got a new VGIII center, 2 or 3 weeks ago. My previous center was the Aperion 6C and I did a side by side comparison. After Audyssey, I could hear no noticeable difference, though they did equalize differently and to be fair my room is largely lacking in sound treatments and I can't hear anything over 15KH. The two tone matched well. I'll be working on treatments next week. My plan is to order the new Aperion towers, next week, to replace my Deft Tech's. I got the Cherry this time and they look quite nice and I like the rounded top and bottom, with the rubber mounting strips, which makes them very easy to change the vertical aim.
darthray likes this.
post #7863 of 7901 Old 11-11-2018, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebaru View Post
I got a new VGIII center, 2 or 3 weeks ago. My previous center was the Aperion 6C and I did a side by side comparison. After Audyssey, I could hear no noticeable difference, though they did equalize differently and to be fair my room is largely lacking in sound treatments and I can't hear anything over 15KH. The two tone matched well. I'll be working on treatments next week. My plan is to order the new Aperion towers, next week, to replace my Deft Tech's. I got the Cherry this time and they look quite nice and I like the rounded top and bottom, with the rubber mounting strips, which makes them very easy to change the vertical aim.
Thanks for the refreshingly honest comment. Many would justify their purchase by hearing extraordinary improvements and it takes courage to say “no they’re pretty much the same” (even with your personal caveats).

The fact that your 6C preceded my Verus I and the upgrade offered no dramatic improvement is a pretty good indication that upgrading from Verus I to III, will not offer much improvement. I’d love to hear contradictory testimonial because I do want to upgrade.

When I originally purchased Verus I compared it to 3 other CC speakers — Def Tech, Golden Ear, and Vienna Acoustics. To my ears, in my room, the Aperion beat them all for about 50% of the price.

And like you I truly appreciate the aesthetics of the Verus line.
darthray likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7864 of 7901 Old 12-11-2018, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2044 Post(s)
Liked: 2895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebaru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by console View Post
Thanks for the refreshingly honest comment. Many would justify their purchase by hearing extraordinary improvements and it takes courage to say “no they’re pretty much the same” (even with your personal caveats).

The fact that your 6C preceded my Verus I and the upgrade offered no dramatic improvement is a pretty good indication that upgrading from Verus I to III, will not offer much improvement. I’d love to hear contradictory testimonial because I do want to upgrade.

When I originally purchased Verus I compared it to 3 other CC speakers — Def Tech, Golden Ear, and Vienna Acoustics. To my ears, in my room, the Aperion beat them all for about 50% of the price.

And like you I truly appreciate the aesthetics of the Verus line.

Honest comments are always a big plus

I also still enjoying my 7 Verus Grand series I. A pair of Towers, Center and 4 bookshelf's
And very much agree, that the look on the Verus line. Look fantastic.
Love the way mine sound and look.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 12-11-2018 at 06:51 PM.
post #7865 of 7901 Old 12-14-2018, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Intimus 5T vs Verus Grand towers

Has anybody owned both the Intimus 5T and the Verus towers (particularly the II or III)? If so, would you mind sharing your experience/opinion in regard to the difference in between them, specifically relative to the price jump?

I feel like I'm pretty sold on the Verus III towers, but then I wonder if I'd be completely happy with the Intimus 5T..... but then of course, I wonder if even if I like them, I'll always have the question of what could have been in the back of my mind. But there is a pretty significant price jump between to two, so I'd love to hear the opinion of those who have actually experienced both.

Thanks in advance!
post #7866 of 7901 Old 12-15-2018, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8484 Post(s)
Liked: 5661
Quote:
Originally Posted by sin_eater View Post
Has anybody owned both the Intimus 5T and the Verus towers (particularly the II or III)? If so, would you mind sharing your experience/opinion in regard to the difference in between them, specifically relative to the price jump?

I feel like I'm pretty sold on the Verus III towers, but then I wonder if I'd be completely happy with the Intimus 5T..... but then of course, I wonder if even if I like them, I'll always have the question of what could have been in the back of my mind. But there is a pretty significant price jump between to two, so I'd love to hear the opinion of those who have actually experienced both.

Thanks in advance!
I got an e'mail recently from Aperion about the attached review lauding the new Verus III towers, (I've never heard any Aperion speakre), and my takeaway from the review was that while they loved the Verus III they were oddly hinting that the Intimus might be just as good...but with less bells and whistles.

https://hometheaterreview.com/aperio...aker-reviewed/
sin_eater likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7867 of 7901 Old 12-15-2018, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajCA View Post
I got an e'mail recently from Aperion about the attached review lauding the new Verus III towers, (I've never heard any Aperion speakre), and my takeaway from the review was that while they loved the Verus III they were oddly hinting that the Intimus might be just as good...but with less bells and whistles.
Ha, yeah, I'm the one who posted the question on that review referring to that exact thing. I wasn't exactly sure how to take his comment, but it sure seemed like he was implying that the intimus 5t was pretty close in sound quality.
post #7868 of 7901 Old 12-15-2018, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Ha, yeah, I'm the one who posted the question on that review referring to that exact thing. I wasn't exactly sure how to take his comment, but it sure seemed like he was implying that the intimus 5t was pretty close in sound quality.
That's how I took it for sure.

But I'm sure people who have actually heard both will chime in.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7869 of 7901 Old 12-15-2018, 02:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
I actually have owned the 5T 5.1 (towers and bookshelves) package as well as the Verus Grand (towers and bookshelves) 5.1 package. I can say with confidence there is a difference in sound. The 5T sounds fantastic for the price point and beats many speakers that cost more money. After I had them for 4-5 years, I decided to upgrade shortly after the original Verus Grands launched. It seemed the VG's played clearer and had more of a full sound.

I'm glad I kept the 2 VG towers and added a 3rd as they now project as my LCR in The Force Theater. One other thing...as fantastic as I thought they sounded before, I had the theater professionally calibrated and it was like getting a whole new set of speakers as I couldn't believe the difference! Unless you heard them pre/post calibration, you likely wouldn't be able to tell a difference because they are a great speaker. However, listening immediately after calibration and could push a button on my DSP that could compare pre/post calibration settings, was amazed at the improvement!
ManBarra likes this.
post #7870 of 7901 Old 12-15-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

https://hometheaterreview.com/aperio...aker-reviewed/
While as a owner of the first series, most time when a model change series. The difference are most of time, while been better are very subtle.
Only the end users, can decide if it is worth-it to change series.

Also, I do agree with the review you have posted.
Except for this part of the negative. "The feet that come with the speakers are a little difficult and confusing to install, but are absolutely necessary for the stability of the speakers"
They are absolutely necessary for the stability of the speakers, but are very easy to install. Mine only took a few minutes, and the custom made ones. That replace them later, took a little while longer to install.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 12-15-2018 at 02:16 PM.
post #7871 of 7901 Old 12-16-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthray View Post
While as a owner of the first series, most time when a model change series. The difference are most of time, while been better are very subtle.
Only the end users, can decide if it is worth-it to change series.

Also, I do agree with the review you have posted.
Except for this part of the negative. "The feet that come with the speakers are a little difficult and confusing to install, but are absolutely necessary for the stability of the speakers"
They are absolutely necessary for the stability of the speakers, but are very easy to install. Mine only took a few minutes, and the custom made ones. That replace them later, took a little while longer to install.

Ray
I never advocate chasing series upgrades as I don't do that myself.

My main front three speakers haven't been available in the US for at least 5 years.

The rears for 30!
darthray likes this.

Geoff A. J., California
post #7872 of 7901 Old 12-16-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I never advocate chasing series upgrades as I don't do that myself.

My main front three speakers haven't been available in the US for at least 5 years.

The rears for 30!

Sorry if you thought, I was implying. You were chasing series upgraded. It was not my intention

What I meant to say, while still having the original series. I never felt the need to upgrade, to next one. Series II and now Series III.
Since most new models within a series, only have very small change in most case. And the feet's are indeed, very easy to install. Unlike what the review said, about them been difficult.

Ray
gajCA likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 12-16-2018 at 05:37 PM.
post #7873 of 7901 Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Wow, pretty quiet in here! I hope everyone is having a good 2019 so far.

So a little story for you all. I decided to list some of my old Aperion speakers on Craigslist this weekend since they aren't doing any good sitting in my attic. I came to a box of gloss black 6Bs and decided I didn't need them since I also have a pair in cherry. I got these as A stock speakers back in my first "tour of duty" with Aperion back in 2007-2013. I opened up the box and was astounded at what I saw.

First off, these speakers are absolutely pristine. Even though the box had been opened at some point, there wasn't even a single fingerprint on them, truly in perfect condition. But even more incredible than that, the serial numbers on these guys are I6B000001X and I6B000002X! That's right the very first pair of 6Bs ever produced, a little piece of Aperion history!

As for the speakers themselves, I think the 6Bs are among some of the best speakers Aperion ever produced. They have a remarkably warm, "European" style sound with tons of bass for a bookshelf. They are also low sensitivity at 82 dB, which helps the bass output, so you'll need a decent amount of power to get the most out of them.

Anyway, I figured I would offer them up here before I put them on Craigs as perhaps one of you would like to own them. Shipping isn't going to be cheap since the box weighs 60 lbs, but if you're interested shoot me a PM and we can work something out. Here are a couple pics below:

And more full size photos here:

https://imgur.com/a/aC574H8
darthray and brian6751 like this.

Aperion Intimus 5T towers, Intimus 6C center, 4B bookshelves and S8-APR, Onkyo TXNR-809
post #7874 of 7901 Old 03-12-2019, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
That's pretty awesome man.

Speaking of having some Aperion speakers I won't need. This summer I will be upgrading to a Verus system. I currently have a Summit Wireless Intimus 7.1 system. It works perfectly, but the wireless transmitter doesn't support 4K video, so it has worn out it's welcome in my entertainment center. I'm going to see if they want it back for spare parts or components since they don't sell this system anymore. But if they don't - if anyone is interested, let me know!

Thanks!
post #7875 of 7901 Old 03-29-2019, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I tried out the Intimus 5C recently and was dismayed to find it had the worse vocal clarity and soundstage out of any speaker I've used (Polk Signature, Emotiva ribbons, Definitive Technologies, Elacs all at comparable price points) after spending money on return shipping and waiting 4 days for them to process they send me an image of scratches saying they've deducted $29.90 from my refund (what sort of arbitrary amount is that?) "for the damage".

I looked over the speaker before sending it in and observed no such scratches so I feel cheated. All things considered Asperion was a terrible experience start to finish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2900.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	2545838  
post #7876 of 7901 Old 03-29-2019, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I'm thinking about buying the Allaire speakers to put on my covered deck. They would be under the eaves and would never get direct weather, but they would be outside. Do you guys think they would be ok?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #7877 of 7901 Old 03-29-2019, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaob View Post
I tried out the Intimus 5C recently and was dismayed to find it had the worse vocal clarity and soundstage out of any speaker I've used (Polk Signature, Emotiva ribbons, Definitive Technologies, Elacs all at comparable price points) after spending money on return shipping and waiting 4 days for them to process they send me an image of scratches saying they've deducted $29.90 from my refund (what sort of arbitrary amount is that?) "for the damage".

I looked over the speaker before sending it in and observed no such scratches so I feel cheated. All things considered Asperion was a terrible experience start to finish.
That does not sound like the Aperion I once knew. Why did you pay return shipping? It says right on their website that it is free shipping both ways if not satisfied. Did you have it longer than 60 days?

My humble little 3.1 system:
65" LG OLED
Yamaha TSR-7810
2 JBL Studio 580 Towers and a 520C center
Power Sound Audio V1500
post #7878 of 7901 Old 03-29-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemon View Post
That does not sound like the Aperion I once knew. Why did you pay return shipping? It says right on their website that it is free shipping both ways if not satisfied. Did you have it longer than 60 days?
Initiated the return within a week of receiving. I bought on a sale and their website does now say that speakers purchased at sale prices do not include return shipping so that part wasn't a surprise but it feels like insult to injury to have this damage claim thrown in. I'd have been better off reselling myself than returning to be hit with an additional 10-15% purchase price deduction which is precisely why I checked things over before boxing up.
post #7879 of 7901 Old 03-29-2019, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Really sorry to hear about your experience. I've owned Aperion for over 10 years having started out with the 5T system and worked my way up to the Verus Grands. Absolutely love the sound. Am curious as to what you were using to power the 5C. Also, can't remember, but did the 5C have the toggle on the back for over/under the tv placement? I know the Verus Grand Center has that and could play a role in the way the sound image and sound stage was projected.

I've 3 Verus Grand towers that are my LCR in The Force Theater. I've always enjoyed the sound but after having them calibrated with a miniDSP 10x10, they sound spectacular! They are also powered by Outlaw monoblock amps too as helps to bring out the true sound.
darthray likes this.
post #7880 of 7901 Old 03-29-2019, 09:39 PM

Nothing too fancy, just an Emotiva UPA-500, someday I'm looking at Outlaw as my upgrade route. There is no switch to toggle on the back of the Intimus 5C. I found the soundstage to be less precise and dialog clarity to be little/no better than the Polk S30 I was intending to upgrade from and had MUCH better experiences in direct comparison with the other brands I mentioned earlier all in the $150-$300 price-range. I'd imagine Asperion's higher-end models are a notable step up but I'm turned off from even considering trying them now.

Thanks for mentioning the miniDSP 10x10, that looks like the type of product I'd be interested in using in my system. I'm in the learning stage right now after years of a more basic non-calibrated setup.

I ordered a Tekton Double Impact center this week to demo next, completely different price bracket but in theory it may be ideal for the type of sound I'm seeking while avoiding horns and ribbons which I find to be clear but fatiguing.
post #7881 of 7901 Old 04-02-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaob View Post
Nothing too fancy, just an Emotiva UPA-500, someday I'm looking at Outlaw as my upgrade route. There is no switch to toggle on the back of the Intimus 5C. I found the soundstage to be less precise and dialog clarity to be little/no better than the Polk S30 I was intending to upgrade from and had MUCH better experiences in direct comparison with the other brands I mentioned earlier all in the $150-$300 price-range. I'd imagine Asperion's higher-end models are a notable step up but I'm turned off from even considering trying them now.

Thanks for mentioning the miniDSP 10x10, that looks like the type of product I'd be interested in using in my system. I'm in the learning stage right now after years of a more basic non-calibrated setup.

I ordered a Tekton Double Impact center this week to demo next, completely different price bracket but in theory it may be ideal for the type of sound I'm seeking while avoiding horns and ribbons which I find to be clear but fatiguing.
Just a thought, and not sure the appetite since your current experience, but as you mentioned different price bracket for Tekton, you might try the Verus Grand from Aperion. I used that before building the new home and completing The Force Theater where I replaced it with another Verus Grand tower. Great sound but also has a pretty sizable footprint.
post #7882 of 7901 Old 04-04-2019, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

@Hicks How come Aperion isn't going to AXPONA?? I can't go either, but would love to attend
post #7883 of 7901 Old 04-04-2019, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post
@Hicks How come Aperion isn't going to AXPONA?? I can't go either, but would love to attend
I am pretty sure Hicks left Aperion again. At least he was not there in December when I went a callin.

My humble little 3.1 system:
65" LG OLED
Yamaha TSR-7810
2 JBL Studio 580 Towers and a 520C center
Power Sound Audio V1500
post #7884 of 7901 Old 04-04-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi1982 View Post
Hey jedi1982,

Aperion hasn't really been making the rounds at conventions for the last few years. There have been several reasons for that, including logistical reasons and perceived ROI. But I'm happy to say that although we probably won't be at anything this year, next year we do have some plans to "get back in the game" and show up at some of these events. We have some exciting stuff in the works for this year and next, so we'll definitely want to get out there more. 2019 is our 20th Anniversary after all, so we'll have to see what happens!

-Steve
darthray likes this.

Aperion Audio Verus II Grand Towers, Verus II Grand Center, Verus Surround Di/Bipoles

Last edited by AperionSteve; 04-23-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #7885 of 7901 Old 04-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

20 years already?! Wow, time flies Hope to make it to some conferences in 2020 as have never been
AperionSteve likes this.
post #7886 of 7901 Old 04-08-2019, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottiemon View Post
I am pretty sure Hicks left Aperion again. At least he was not there in December when I went a callin.
I can confirm that Hicks is gone, but do check this tread once in a while.
How often is every quest.

For those of us, that dealt with him.
He will be miss.

Ray
post #7887 of 7901 Old 04-08-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperionSteve View Post
Hey jedi1982,

Aperion hasn't really been making the rounds at conventions for the last few years. There have been several reasons for that, including logistical reasons and perceived ROI. But I'm happy to say that although we probably won't be at anything this year, next year we do have some plans to "get back in the game" and show up at some of these events. We have some exiting stuff in the works for this year and next, so we'll definitely want to get out there more. 2019 is our 20th Anniversary after all, so we'll have to see what happens!

-Steve
Hi Steve

While I do understand the Return Of Investment, aperion need to get back in the radar picture.
Members/and owners like @jedi1982 and I, still have the first version of the Verus Grand towers.
Even with new version (series II and III), I never felt the need to upgrade.

Just a proof, once you own an excellent speaker.
You do not feel the need to up-grade, for small improvements.

Ray

Last edited by darthray; 04-08-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #7888 of 7901 Old 04-21-2019, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Verus Surrounds?

Hi!
I have Verus II fronts and center and using older B&W bookshelf speakers for the surrounds. I am considering pulling the trigger on the Verus surrounds. Anyone have these? I'm concerned about 1. Crossover at 90 Hz, and 2. Size of the drivers being inadequate. I also have twin 12" SVS subs so that won't be an issue...except for the crossover.
I'm just interested in the sound and integration with the rest of my system. Marantz SR7007 (soon to be replaced by Anthem MRX 720)
Thanks!

'That sure is a nice record player you got there...'
post #7889 of 7901 Old 04-21-2019, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dssquared View Post
Hi!
I have Verus II fronts and center and using older B&W bookshelf speakers for the surrounds. I am considering pulling the trigger on the Verus surrounds. Anyone have these? I'm concerned about 1. Crossover at 90 Hz, and 2. Size of the drivers being inadequate. I also have twin 12" SVS subs so that won't be an issue...except for the crossover.
I'm just interested in the sound and integration with the rest of my system. Marantz SR7007 (soon to be replaced by Anthem MRX 720)
Thanks!
That xover set to 80 still even with the surrounds having a limitation of 90 won't matter since you have the twin SVS's. My in-wall bipoles have a xover limit of 90 but system is set to 80 and no worries at all!
post #7890 of 7901 Old 04-22-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Apparently they have a new line of speakers called the Novus that ships in July. Tower, bookshelf, center and upward firing Atmos. They're giving a pre-order discount (though I doubt it's the last time you'll see that).

Certainly their most unique looking design and something Darth Vader would have in his living room.

https://www.aperionaudio.com/pages/novus
AperionSteve likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
allaire , Aperion Audio , Aperion Audio Center Channel Speaker , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Satellite Sd Black , Aperion Audio Verus Forte Tower Hd Black , Aperion Intimus 5b Fusion Sd , Aperion Verus Grand Tower Speaker Gloss Piano Black , bravus , Marantz , Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Mcintosh Labs Mc 2100

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page