Thiel Audio Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

post #31 of 1278 Old 02-14-2007, 02:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

Does anyone have any links to comments from CES on the 3.7s.

I've had trouble finding what people thought of them.

I think its hard to find critical opinions at CES because the rooms are generally not ideal, and the 3.7's were everywhere this time. I think about 7-8 pairs at Thiel, Simaudio, and a couple others.

We should be getting the first pair in San Diego and I am hoping to receive them very soon. Obviously I will do a thorough report.

From what Im told the final production model is not 100% identical to the CES one as well so sonic changes might take place. Jim Thiel is absolutely a perfectionist with any Thiel product. The suspense is killing me, and I imagine a lot of other people!

I would search over at audioasylum.com
audiocircle.com
audiogon.com in the "forum" section

Hopefully youll find some good opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1278 Old 02-14-2007, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioArchitect View Post

I think its hard to find critical opinions at CES because the rooms are generally not ideal, and the 3.7's were everywhere this time. I think about 7-8 pairs at Thiel, Simaudio, and a couple others.

We should be getting the first pair in San Diego and I am hoping to receive them very soon. Obviously I will do a thorough report.

From what Im told the final production model is not 100% identical to the CES one as well so sonic changes might take place. Jim Thiel is absolutely a perfectionist with any Thiel product. The suspense is killing me, and I imagine a lot of other people!

I would search over at audioasylum.com
audiocircle.com
audiogon.com in the "forum" section

Hopefully youll find some good opinions.

If you heard them can you explain the sound? The soundstaging? Were the highs recessed( as some say Thiels are) or was it just right?
post #33 of 1278 Old 02-14-2007, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SDL - pleased to hear the positive report on your Thiel home theater system. Thinking about adding three more powerpoints to my system sometime. But finding a place for the center channel would be a big problem. Probably a bigger problem is I don't view movies that much. But my 12-year-old is starting to talk about it. So you never know!
Wgerman - never saw reviews or heard the highs recessed in Thiels. Not doubting your statement, either. Much has been written about Thiels that I haven't read. No doubt, I can't hear everything either. But my dog seems to like the sound. That has to mean something!
Can only tell you that the highs produced by the powerpoints seem to be very accurate. My only negative observation about the them is they lack a certain fullness that I like. After all, they only reach about 75 hz because of their design. Jim Thiel indicates that low frequencies are a big problem area for speakers placed near boundaries. From what I've heard, I have no argument there. Adding Thiel sub takes care of that slight.
As for the buzz about the new 3.7s, I was sort of surprised by their design (anything Jim Thiel does should not really surprise us any more). As good as the powerpoints and his monitor speakers sound paired with the smart subs, I thought he'd incorporate a new set of high and mid-range drivers with a smart sub in each cabinet. Guess that idea was too easy or too costly.
Anyway, I'm like the rest of you - can't wait to hear the 3.7s. Happy listening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 1278 Old 02-14-2007, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Glad to see this thread.

I have seven (7) Thiel PowerPoints 1.0's coupled with dual Velodyne DD-15 subwoofers. All of the PowerPoints are mounted on a 9' ceiling all about 4' in from any wall. My PrePro is an Anthem Statement D2, The PowerPoints are fed from 180-watt/ch Anthem A5 and A2 amplifers. The integrated 8-band digital graphic parametric equalizer of the dual DD-15 subwoofers combined with the comprehensive bass management flexibility of the Anthem D2 yield a very robust, dynamic, dimensional and seamless soundstage.

I watch a lot of music DVD's (several hundred accessible via a DVD changer and an MX-3000 remote with DMX software), viewed on a Sony Qualia 006. The 8 music HD-DVD's released so far sound and look terrific and I just hope more music DD+ and TrueHD HD-DVD's will be released soon.

I have a Thiel service story. Last month, one of my PowerPoints started crackling. I sent it back to Thiel for service with a letter asking that Thiel call me with the cost of repair. Eight days from the day I shipped it, it arrived back to me repaired at no charge even though I told them up front that I was NOT the original owner. Thiel emailed a detailed explanation of exactly the repairs they made. Extraordinary service by dedicated people with a passion for their products.

I wish I could somehow magically swap out all my 1.0's for PowerPoint 1.2's just so I could demo for differences. It's difficult to imagine my sound becoming any better. But I sure admire Thiel's quest for improvement and "the absolute sound".

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
post #35 of 1278 Old 02-14-2007, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Liked: 11
When the 3.7 launches, does anyone think the 7.2 is due next for a revamping ?
The 7.2 has been out for quite a long time, and the new 3.7 incorporates so many new developments in driver & cabinet construction.
It would be natural for these to migrate up to the flagship.

It's funny how the Theil 7.2 and Vandersteeen 5A ( both time & phase coherent designs ) have had such longevity without model re-vampings !
I wonder how the 7.2 & 5A would compare in a shootout.

- Andy
post #36 of 1278 Old 02-15-2007, 01:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 303
What about a new 6.2 to replace the old 6 ?

So we need a new MCS2, 6.2 and 7.3. C'mon Jim what's holding you up ??

BTW on my 2.4s I saved about 20% by buying black. Something to keep in mind if the budget is stretched.
post #37 of 1278 Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 15
I heard the 6 series is discontinued due to the 3 series moving up a few ranks in price.
post #38 of 1278 Old 02-15-2007, 11:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess that makes sense. Their web site needs updating then.
post #39 of 1278 Old 02-17-2007, 08:38 AM

Cargen - Here's a Thiel service story you can appreciate. Bought my SS-2 second hand off the internet. When I received it, the SS-2 didn't work. Seller claimed it was in perfect working order when shipped and I should make a claim with UPS. Since the box was not damaged in shipment, UPS wasn't about to pay off. I went to my Thiel dealer and he said the $2000 amp was shot in the sub, but not to worry, Thiel would replace it at no cost. I was stunned. I even told him I wasn't the original owner. But it didn't matter, Thiel replaced the amp. I only paid for shipping the blown amp to Lexington.
post #40 of 1278 Old 02-17-2007, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's another, although minor, Thiel service story. I love my Thiels, unfortunately so does my cat, as a scratching post! He shredded the foam port cover. I was afraid I would have to ship the whole speaker back to Thiel even though it was obvious I could replace the port myself (the hex bolts being accessable from the front). Most manufacturers of high end products don't want you messing around trying to repair them yourself. Thiel was happy to sell me the part so I could replace it at home.

Dave
post #41 of 1278 Old 02-17-2007, 11:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm pretty excited. Jim Thiel will be visiting my local dealer next week for the world wide introduction of the CS3.7. This will be the first time that 3.7s are released to the dealers. I can't wait to hear him talk about these new speakers, and then of course, to hear them. I'll report back with my impressions

I love this stuff!
post #42 of 1278 Old 02-18-2007, 01:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

You lucky [email protected]#$%

Ask Jim to get one of his people onto this thread !!
post #43 of 1278 Old 02-18-2007, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrommass View Post

I'm pretty excited. Jim Thiel will be visiting my local dealer next week for the world wide introduction of the CS3.7. This will be the first time that 3.7s are released to the dealers. I can't wait to hear him talk about these new speakers, and then of course, to hear them. I'll report back with my impressions

Yeah i cant wait either! Jim Thiel is visiting my local dealer on the 22nd @ 7pm to introduce his CS3.7.
post #44 of 1278 Old 02-18-2007, 07:27 PM
hma

It's great to see a Thiel thread! Does anyone have comments regarding Thiel Smartsubs vs. other popular subs (i.e. JL Audio Fantoms or Velodyne DD series)? I have Thiel CS2.3 fronts, scs3 center and powerpoint surrounds with a B&W sub that is just ok. I'm looking to upgrade the sub. Any thoughts?

Thanks
post #45 of 1278 Old 02-18-2007, 09:16 PM

hma - The subs you mention are very good and probably just as capable as a smart sub for less money. But for someone with a Thiel system, I think a smart sub is the only way to go provided you have the funds. The reason is simple, you'll be able to dial in the smart sub for optimum performance without much effort. Smart subs have room boundary equalization that is a snap - not to mention the $500 PX05 passive crossover that will allow perfect integration with all the speakers in your system. There's really nothing like it for classical and jazz. I find most rock so poorly recorded it won't matter what you use.
Before I purchased my SS2, I had a Revel B15. That's a wonderful sub with a 3-band parametric equalizer that was well ahead of its time for room equalization. While most claimed it was a snap to set up, I never could get it right. I was always fooling with it, making adjustments and was never satisfied. Not so with the smart sub.
SDL says the SS1 is wonderful for home theater. I have no experience with that. I can tell you the SS2 is first class for music. So much so, that I call my two Powerpoint 1.2s and the SS2 a music system. Longtime audiophiles no doubt will raise eye brows over that statement - me included. Never thought I'd say such a thing about a system with a sub. But the integration is so perfect, that's what it is.
Don't take my word for it. A Stereophile review by Wes Phillips sang the praises of the SS1 hooked up to a pair of 2.4s for two-channel listening. He had to physically walk over to the sub to see if it was playing, that how perfectly it was mated to the 2.4s. In the end, despite his praise, he wondered if there was a $3000 market for adding 10 hz bass to the 2.4s which I believe push 33 hz on their own. Perhaps you can tell him about it.
post #46 of 1278 Old 02-18-2007, 10:24 PM
SDL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipper View Post

hma - The subs you mention are very good and probably just as capable as a smart sub for less money. But for someone with a Thiel system, I think a smart sub is the only way to go provided you have the funds. The reason is simple, you'll be able to dial in the smart sub for optimum performance without much effort. Smart subs have room boundary equalization that is a snap - not to mention the $500 PX05 passive crossover that will allow perfect integration with all the speakers in your system.

hma,

I agree with Shipper's comments above. I also wanted to mention that one of the unique advantages of the PX05 crossover is that it is designed to match the specific Thiel speaker models in your system. I like to think of it as a way to add a sub with performance and custom crossover slopes that were designed by the same guy who designed the rest of your speakers.

I will have to say that I have heard nothing but rave reviews of the JL Audio and Velodyne DD series subs, but I haven't actually heard them myself. Based on specs, they may play louder (though not necessarily lower) than the SmartSubs, but I can't imagine that they could integrate as well with your other Thiel speakers. If I had the money, I would get a SS2 like Shipper's, but the SS1 will work great in a small to medium size room (mine is roughly 13' x 21' x 8') if you want to save some bucks.

SDL
post #47 of 1278 Old 02-19-2007, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

Yeah i cant wait either! Jim Thiel is visiting my local dealer on the 22nd @ 7pm to introduce his CS3.7.

Which dealer?

-tim

I love this stuff!
post #48 of 1278 Old 02-19-2007, 04:37 PM
hma

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. My room is roughly 3500 cf, which I guess qualifies as small to medium sized. I guess I'll audition the SS1 and SS2 and then decide if the cost difference is worth it. Unfortunately no local dealer has both Thiel and JL Audio or Velodyne, so it won't be possible to make a direct comparison.

I assume that the passive crossover is needed in order to get the integration with the rest of the system that you are both alluding to.

-HMA
post #49 of 1278 Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfrommass View Post

Which dealer?

-tim

Spearit Sound on Commonwealth Ave.
post #50 of 1278 Old 02-19-2007, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hma View Post

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. My room is roughly 3500 cf, which I guess qualifies as small to medium sized. I guess I'll audition the SS1 and SS2 and then decide if the cost difference is worth it. Unfortunately no local dealer has both Thiel and JL Audio or Velodyne, so it won't be possible to make a direct comparison.

I assume that the passive crossover is needed in order to get the integration with the rest of the system that you are both alluding to.

-HMA

I carry Thiel, Velodyne, and JL Audio so maybe I can offer some advice.

First thing is that the JL Audio is a superior product for music and home theater than the Velodyne DD series, so I would cross that off your list.

Now on Thiel. If you DIDNT have Thiel speakers then the case for JL is an easy one. However, being that you do own them the Thiel subwoofers will integrate flawlessly with your Thiel speakers via the crossover because thats what they were engineered to do. The JL will provide more output than the SS1 or SS2, BUT the "quality" of the bass will be better with the Thiel because of the seamless integration via the crossover.

I carry all 3 products but if I was buying a subwoofer to go with the Thiels and I wanted the most accurate quality presentation then go with the Thiel. FYI the SS2 blows the SS1 out of the water.

Hope that helps.
post #51 of 1278 Old 02-20-2007, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonomega View Post

Spearit Sound on Commonwealth Ave.

That's right, I forgot they carried them as well

I love this stuff!
post #52 of 1278 Old 02-20-2007, 08:01 PM
hma

Thanks AudioArchitect.

Your advice is very helpful. Now comes the subjective part. Is the Thiel SS2 worth spending considerably more for? My Thiel dealer wants me to look at REL subs, which he also carries. He's actually downplaying the Thiel sub in favor of the REL.

Any further thoughts? I'm going to listen to both at the dealer next week, but he only has a SS3 on display.

Thanks
post #53 of 1278 Old 02-20-2007, 08:07 PM
SDL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks AudioArchitect.

Your advice is very helpful. Now comes the subjective part. Is the Thiel SS2 worth spending considerably more for? My Thiel dealer wants me to look at REL subs, which he also carries. He's actually downplaying the Thiel sub in favor of the REL.

Any further thoughts? I'm going to listen to both at the dealer next week, but he only has a SS3 on display.

Thanks

If you don't get a Thiel sub, get the JL Audio over the REL.

SDL
post #54 of 1278 Old 02-20-2007, 11:44 PM

Quote:

Thanks AudioArchitect.

Thanks

There seems to be as many subwoofers on the market as there are cars on the road. Each merchant will push their own lines and some will have personal preferences of one over another for various reasons, maybe better profit margins. Only by listening can you develop your own opinion. Rel subs are very nice, integrates well for both music and HT. I have a friend who owns one and the bass presence is there when the recording calls for it and does not call attention to itself. If that is the definition of integrating well with the other speakers, then that is my experience. Rel also comes in different sizes so you may find one that could work for you. Be open-minded, bring familiar cd's or dvd's to the audition so you can compare using programming you know well. Let your ears be the judge. If you are predisposed to stay with Thiel, a direct comparison to other brands may help to reinforce your preference. Enjoy the journey.

Whalen
post #55 of 1278 Old 02-21-2007, 12:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks AudioArchitect.

Thanks

As SDL said, if you dont get the Thiel, then get the JL Audio. RELs are nice looking subs but they cant hold a candle to JL Audio. The driver design inside the JL is lightyears ahead of anything else out there. Thats a fact.

The benefit of the Thiel subwoofer is the integration with Thiel speakers, but you pay ALOT for that premium. If sound quality is your goal, then the Thiel SS will blend perfectly, but if you want to FEEL that bass especially with movies, then go JL.
post #56 of 1278 Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 PM
hma

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I will be able to directly compare REL to Thiel and will have to visit another dealer for the JL Audio subwoofer. I quake at spending upward of $5K for the Thiel, but would hate to waste $3K on something that is only a little better than the sub I have now!

I'll check back after auditioning.

-HMA
post #57 of 1278 Old 02-22-2007, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just got back from a demo of the CS 3.7 by Jim Thiel himself. One thing that struck me was how knowledgeable he was. It was a great lecture and experience. While speaking with him one on one, he seemed a bit socially awkward, nevertheless when the topic shifted technical, he knew his stuff.

The speakers that were demonstrated had a nice finish, sort of like a birds eye maple. They are much larger than I thought they would be. They totally dwarf the CS2.4 in terms of physical size.

Of course the sound was nice. I'd pay 10k for it when I get a nice room for music (it sounded like it was worth that much to me). I believe krell evolution amp and cd player were used. Classe delta processor was as the preamp section. I dunno what the speaker cables were, they were covered in techflex.
post #58 of 1278 Old 02-22-2007, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 425
JL is the way to go with subs like AA stated a few threads back.

However, if you have the cash and are using Thiel speakers, then I'd give serious consideration to Thiel. The synergy with the passive crossovers (use with Thiel speakers) is fantastic but pricey...

Mike

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #59 of 1278 Old 02-22-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 425
As far as revamping the 7.2's well that day is coming but I'd say it is a bit off at this time. My bet is an upgraded center will be next.

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #60 of 1278 Old 02-23-2007, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Unfortunately I was caught late at work on Wed. and didn't get to go see Jim's presentation. Seems as I missed quite a show. I'll be stopping by the dealer to give the speakers some time next week though. It's a shame I missed it

I love this stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page