Thiel Audio Owner's Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

post #61 of 1278 Old 02-23-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

As far as revamping the 7.2's well that day is coming but I'd say it is a bit off at this time. My bet is an upgraded center will be next.

I spoke with Jim Thiel and he did agree that a 7.3 will be on the drawing board. I dont know if he intends to update 2 speakers at the same time, but from what I gathered, he will be definately considering the next evolution of his flagship.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1278 Old 02-24-2007, 08:04 PM
hma

Liked: 10
I auditioned the JL Audio f112 today (f113 not available). It was not with Thiel speakers (Martin Logans used), so I'm not sure how well it will apply to my situation. It certainly made itself felt with deep, loud, but somewhat "boomy" bass. I was a little disappointed that it didn't integrate better with the other speakers. I then went to the Thiel dealer, but he couldn't get the subs to work on his system, so I'll have to go back. He only has the SS3 on display, but he has speakers that are very similar to mine (CS2.4s) to audition them with.

I really want to like the JL sub better than the Thiel (due to the major price difference), but I have a feeling that I won't!

I'll report back after auditioning the Thiel sub!
post #63 of 1278 Old 02-24-2007, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by hma View Post

I auditioned the JL Audio f112 today (f113 not available). It was not with Thiel speakers (Martin Logans used), so I'm not sure how well it will apply to my situation. It certainly made itself felt with deep, loud, but somewhat "boomy" bass. I was a little disappointed that it didn't integrate better with the other speakers. I then went to the Thiel dealer, but he couldn't get the subs to work on his system, so I'll have to go back. He only has the SS3 on display, but he has speakers that are very similar to mine (CS2.4s) to audition them with.

I really want to like the JL sub better than the Thiel (due to the major price difference), but I have a feeling that I won't!

I'll report back after auditioning the Thiel sub!

Keep in mind, that most dealers dont know how to calibrate audio products properly so that JL was probably running "hot" to give you the wow factor.

The Thiel will blend better than the JL will. That much I am 100% sure with. The SS3 is a beast of a subwoofer. Good luck on your audition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1278 Old 02-25-2007, 10:22 AM
hma

Thanks.

The SS3 certainly is a beast! The dealer thinks it will never sell due to its size!
post #65 of 1278 Old 02-25-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

The SS3 certainly is a beast! The dealer thinks it will never sell due to its size!

What about the SS4
post #66 of 1278 Old 02-25-2007, 07:16 PM
hma

The SS4 may be useful if you're building a stadium (and have a very big budget) !
post #67 of 1278 Old 02-26-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 425
SS1 and SS2 are the best selling subs in the Thiel line up. However they work best with Thiel speakers and the passive crossover units and of course there is the factor of cost.

I agree that the JL might have set up somewhat hot to WOW customers with SPL! Just plug in the mic and push the magic ARO button and try not to put the sub in a corner if you can help it and your done. It could also be the settings on the processor or AVR used in your demo.

As far as the line getting long in the tooth I still feel you will see an updated center before a 7.3 but my last name is not Thiel...

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #68 of 1278 Old 02-26-2007, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I run a pair of Vandersteen 2Wq's with my Thiel 6.0's. They blend in nicely and open up the speakers some. I will admit the Thiel 6.0's did pretty well without the subs but it is an improvement.
post #69 of 1278 Old 02-28-2007, 01:40 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wondered anyones thoughts on running 3 Thiel PCS as R/C/L main speakers in a home theater combined with a Thiel sub.

I was hoping for 1.6 mains with an MCS1 center, except it will not meet the "wife" factor as they are "too big."

Thanks!

KK20
post #70 of 1278 Old 02-28-2007, 07:31 AM
SDL

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK20 View Post

Wondered anyones thoughts on running 3 Thiel PCS as R/C/L main speakers in a home theater combined with a Thiel sub.

I was hoping for 1.6 mains with an MCS1 center, except it will not meet the "wife" factor as they are "too big."

Thanks!

You might also want to think about Thiel's new SCS4 speakers as a smaller L/C/R option if you can wait until they are finally released.

SDL
post #71 of 1278 Old 02-28-2007, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks!

I use the PCS as my surrounds (with CS2.4s for L/R) but have experimented with the PCS as the L/R. They're great, a little light on the low/bass end but a good sub should help that out.

Dave

---------

Because nobody's every said 'More Treble!'
post #72 of 1278 Old 02-28-2007, 10:46 PM
SDL

Quote:

I was just looking at Thiel's current price list, and I didn't see the PCS listed. Does anyone know if this is just an oversight or if it has been discontinued? They are listing the new SCS4 now rather than the SCS3.

SDL
post #73 of 1278 Old 03-01-2007, 12:00 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Thanks for the input on the HT pcs situation. I scored a deal on a pair of 1.5's, can "make it fit" and will match a scs2 with them.

Today I spoke with Thiel and was blown away by the high quality of their customer service (so very rare nowadays). They recommended the scs2 as a good timbre match for the 1.5's.

Now I have another decision, processor/amp...

I can get a great deal on a new Marantz SR8500 and pair it with a good outboard amp for the 1.5's and the scs2, OR I can get a good deal on a Rotel 1067 which will be roughly the same price as the Marantz unit combined with an outboard amp. For this system, it will be used 70/30 as HT/audio and I lean toward the Marantz only for the fact that it has DVI switching.

I appreciate anyones advice/experience!

KK20
post #74 of 1278 Old 03-01-2007, 01:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDL View Post

I was just looking at Thiel's current price list, and I didn't see the PCS listed. Does anyone know if this is just an oversight or if it has been discontinued? They are listing the new SCS4 now rather than the SCS3.

SDL

They PCS speakers were discontinued about a month and a half ago.
post #75 of 1278 Old 03-03-2007, 01:45 PM
hma

I finally got to audition the Thiel SS3 sub with a pair of 2.4s today. I'm comparing it to my current setup (2.3s with a B&W ASW2500). Although the "comparison" was in different rooms, the main speakers are very similar. I had previously auditioned the JL Audio Fathom f112 in a completely different setup.

Impressions:

Thiel sub is very visceral. I felt the bass more than I heard it, since there was NO boominess or audible distortion. It wasn't overwhelming and I could see that the Thiel would seem to be a "less powerful" sub than the JL or B&W if all you listened to was how much it "boomed". I suspect that I won't get tired of the Thiel since it is much easier to listen to.

So, I bought the Thiel SS2 with the 5 channel passive crossover. I'll report back once it's delivered and installed!

Thanks for everyone's advice.
post #76 of 1278 Old 03-03-2007, 10:15 PM
SDL

Quote:

I finally got to audition the Thiel SS3 sub with a pair of 2.4s today. I'm comparing it to my current setup (2.3s with a B&W ASW2500). Although the "comparison" was in different rooms, the main speakers are very similar. I had previously auditioned the JL Audio Fathom f112 in a completely different setup.

Impressions:

Thiel sub is very visceral. I felt the bass more than I heard it, since there was NO boominess or audible distortion. It wasn't overwhelming and I could see that the Thiel would seem to be a "less powerful" sub than the JL or B&W if all you listened to was how much it "boomed". I suspect that I won't get tired of the Thiel since it is much easier to listen to.

So, I bought the Thiel SS2 with the 5 channel passive crossover. I'll report back once it's delivered and installed!

I think you'll be extremely happy with your choice! I'll look forward to your comments after you get things set up at home.

SDL
post #77 of 1278 Old 03-03-2007, 11:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

And show some pics of that beauty too!
post #78 of 1278 Old 03-04-2007, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:

Impressions:

Very jealous!

I went for the Fathom, primarily because the Thiels are pretty much out of my price range.

Enjoy!
post #79 of 1278 Old 03-05-2007, 04:29 PM
hma

It will be interesting to compare the Fathom with the Thiel sub, but very difficult to do since I doubt there are many people who have both or many dealers who stock both. I'll report back when sub is delivered.
post #80 of 1278 Old 03-05-2007, 07:04 PM

hma - you made a great choice in the SS-2. No doubt, many here have vast experience setting up subs and integrating them in their systems. But the most experienced will not match the room equalization built into the Thiel Smart Subs coupled with the passive crossover integration. The Thiel system is so simple, yet so complete. It's almost too good to believe. I can't say it enough, the Thiel subs are part of a music system. Unfortunately on this forum where most bow down in reverence to their subs, that's not wanted. You're a breed apart hma.
post #81 of 1278 Old 03-10-2007, 02:02 PM
hma

Well I had my Thiel SS2 in my theater for 10 minutes today. Unfortunately it was probably damaged in shipping, since it was buzzing and then died after 10 minutes. It's back at the dealer and I'm waiting for a new one.

So, my post on the SS2 will have to wait!

-HMA
post #82 of 1278 Old 03-10-2007, 03:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well I had my Thiel SS2 in my theater for 10 minutes today. Unfortunately it was probably damaged in shipping, since it was buzzing and then died after 10 minutes. It's back at the dealer and I'm waiting for a new one.

So, my post on the SS2 will have to wait!

-HMA

We look forward to the update
post #83 of 1278 Old 03-18-2007, 04:22 PM
hma

I finally got my Thiel SS2 sub and have hooked it up. Pictures attached are of my front Thiel CS2.3s, Pioneer RPTV and the SS2 with the passive crossover. When the correct balanced cable comes, the crossover will go into my equipment rack.

Here are my first impressions (comparison is to the B&W ASW2500 sub, which the Thiel replaced):

1. bass is NOT chest-thumping or overwhelming. The SS3 I auditioned at the store had more "power".

2. the bass IS very clean and integrates very well with the rest of the sound.

3. Sub is much more involved in DD 5.1 movies and SACD/DVA-A with discrete .1 channels than with 2 channel music (even when listened to in surround mode). This may be because the low FR of the CS2.3s is good, and it may be that the passive crossover is set very low for the fronts. Thiel doesn't have a passive crossover for my center (SCS3) and I have powerpoints in the back, so I'm a little surprised that the sub is subdued on music.

Despite the low volume of output with non ".1" material, the music sounds great with clean and natural full-range sound.

I'll be calling Thiel tomorrow to make sure I have it set up correctly for the different sources.

In summary:

The JL Audio Fathom I auditioned played louder and made me feel more rumble than this sub. My old B&W made more "booming" but was muddy. This sub was great for music, especially DVD-A or SACD, and very good for movies, with enough powerful bass (Star Wars Phantom Menace THX intro and pod races, Apollo 13 lift-off) for me. If you want the cleanliness of the SS2 with the "oomph" of the Fathom, spring for the SS3. Unfortunately, the SS3 is a monster, both in size and price.

I'll post more impressions after I speak to Thiel and finish calilbrating the system.

-HMA
LL
LL
post #84 of 1278 Old 03-18-2007, 07:27 PM
SDL

Glad to hear you have a working SS2, although you sound a little disappointed by the "subdued" bass on music. Have you tried the SS2 in the corner yet? You could achieve higher output and still get pretty natural response using the boundary compensation adjustments in the SS2.

SDL
post #85 of 1278 Old 03-19-2007, 05:50 AM
hma

I haven't tried the corner yet. I thought I'd get it "dialed in" where it is first, then try the corner later. It will be very close to the left front speaker in the corner, so I'm not sure if that's a problem.
post #86 of 1278 Old 03-25-2007, 05:40 PM
hma

I've now had a chance to listen to the SS2 in my system a little more. I spoke to tech support at Thiel and learned a few things.

They said that placement within the room didn't matter, since setting room boundaries on the sub would compensate for differences in placement: i.e. it would not be louder in the corner since the sub will compensate for placement.

The crossover is set at 33 Hz for the CS2.3 front speakers. That's why the sub is relatively quiet on 2 channel CDs: there is relatively little recorded below 33 Hz on many CDs.

This sub really shines on well-recorded 5.1 material, especially SACD or DVD-A. Unfortunately there is wide variation regarding the quality of these recordings and the amount of low frequency material (both in the .1 channel and in the main channels).

The sub is plenty loud with DD movies. Watching Independence Day at fairly high volume was very engaging!

My "new" assessment of the SS2:

1. really great for SACD and DVDA music that takes advantage of low frequencies. Much more "musical" than my old sub and not obtrusive.

2. enough "oomph" for DD LFE without "bloating". It won't cause you to feel a breeze 10 feet away (although there IS a little breeze right in front of the sub at times!), but I don't think you'll get easily fatigued listening to it.

Now I need to find out which SACD/DVDA discs are really good 5.1 mixes! So far I have enjoyed Spyro Gyra's "In Modern Times", Grateful Dead's American Beauty and of course Pink Floyd, DSTM.
post #87 of 1278 Old 03-29-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 425
HMA,

Sounds like you are having fun and enjoying your recent purchase, congrats.

I was starting to wonder about this thread. We are either a.) to busy enjoying our Thiel speakers (thanks Jim) or b.) waiting on the new CS 3.7's!

Regards,
Mike

Mike Miles
[email protected]
post #88 of 1278 Old 03-29-2007, 07:23 PM
hma

I wonder how many Thiel owners are on the forum. I was reading about AIX DVD-Audios in another thread. They sound like they'd be a great match for Thiel: very high fidelity recordings with no processing. Any suggestions for which 5.1 AIX releases sound good on your system?

mmiles:

I AM enjoying the sub and the whole system. I can't help but wonder how HD-DVD and Blu-Ray with the new Dolby high fidelity 5.1 soundtracks will look and sound! I'm afraid that may be next year's upgrade!
post #89 of 1278 Old 03-30-2007, 03:50 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Picked up a mint set of the 3.6es and a MCS1 recently. In the past I'd owned the CS6 and the 5i. Now this was for a third system to do some quick pre-reviews on components but I find I am listening to the 3.6 rig than my Revel Salons. The Thiels just have an astonishing midrange transparency that most speakers, including the CS6, lack. There are a few reasons why this model lasted 14 years.
post #90 of 1278 Old 03-30-2007, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou View Post

Picked up a mint set of the 3.6es and a MCS1 recently. In the past I'd owned the CS6 and the 5i. Now this was for a third system to do some quick pre-reviews on components but I find I am listening to the 3.6 rig than my Revel Salons. The Thiels just have an astonishing midrange transparency that most speakers, including the CS6, lack. There are a few reasons why this model lasted 14 years.

I am curious that you felt the CS6 had worse midrange than the 3.6. Is it possible that you were sitting "too close" to the CS6? When I was listening, the CS6 was mighty fine, but I had to sit more than 8' away

The 3.6/3.7 was nice in that I had to only sit about 7 feet away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page