Thiel Audio Owner's Thread - Page 43 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 88Likes

post #1261 of 1278 Old 02-28-2018, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A View Post
Go to Strata Gee.Com Ted Green has an excellent in depth interview w/Tom Thiel.
Thanks! for sharing- Class A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1278 Old 02-28-2018, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For those interested;
Join us over on Audiogon Forums- Thiel Owners thread under the speakers category.
post #1263 of 1278 Old 03-17-2018, 09:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA Fant View Post
dhoff01- how ya doin' out there?
Hey there.. I'm alive and well. I still watch the Audiogon thread, but just enjoying my speakers for the most part..
JA Fant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1264 of 1278 Old 03-20-2018, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff01 View Post
Hey there.. I'm alive and well. I still watch the Audiogon thread, but just enjoying my speakers for the most part..
I have been missing ya over on Audiogon. Stop by and give us an update.
post #1265 of 1278 Old 05-20-2018, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi Everyone! I was told at my local shop this thread is where I might be able to get some real knowledge on Theil products, guess there is a group over at Audiogon. God knows I spend to much time on that site. I recently purchased a pair of CS 2.7 that appear in great condition. I have an opportunity to purchase a Theil SS-2 Smart Sub. Will it work with the 2.7's? Also has any one seen the Filter for upper Mids on Ebay? Think it will work? Scam?

Thanks for the help,

Dan
JA Fant likes this.
post #1266 of 1278 Old 05-20-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Get the S1 to match the 2.7 and the SS2.2. Works for other speakers in the future too.
JA Fant likes this.
post #1267 of 1278 Old 06-05-2018, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thiel Owners

if one of you has a spare Bass EQ for the CS 3.5 loudspeakers or know someone that does send me a PM.

Thank You
post #1268 of 1278 Old 06-05-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCast View Post
Hi Everyone! I was told at my local shop this thread is where I might be able to get some real knowledge on Theil products, guess there is a group over at Audiogon. God knows I spend to much time on that site. I recently purchased a pair of CS 2.7 that appear in great condition. I have an opportunity to purchase a Theil SS-2 Smart Sub. Will it work with the 2.7's? Also has any one seen the Filter for upper Mids on Ebay? Think it will work? Scam?

Thanks for the help,

Dan
Hello Dan

yes the Thiel SmartSub will work. Consider a REL subwoofer as well. I started the Thiel Owners thread over on Audiogon out of love and admiration for these speakers.
Please join us there as well.
Jafant
post #1269 of 1278 Old 06-06-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoff01 View Post
dhoff01

I have a query about the Accuphase A-50 power amp. Check your email over on Audiogon.
Thank You
post #1270 of 1278 Old 06-07-2018, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

dhoff01
Thank You
post #1271 of 1278 Old 11-17-2018, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Atmos : 7 Thiel Powerpoint 1.2's and 4 Powerplane 1.2's

I love my 7 Thiel Powerpoint 1.2's and 4 Powerplane 1.2's. I originally purchased the Powerpoint as version 1.0's, mostly pre-owned via Audiogon and eBay. The I.2's were later released in a different shape and a much better, more non-resonant iron-type enclosure. I remember phoning Thiel's Lexington KY-based headquarters/factory to inquire would it be possible to have my version 1's remanufactured into the 1.2 version. They agreed to do it for a very reasonable $350 per speaker, which involved simply relocating the speaker diaphragm and related crossover and parts into the new enclosure. I had it done "gradually", whereby, I shipped only 2 at a time, thus never being without an adequate temporary 5.1 system. The 1.2's sound improvement was a nice upgrade over the 1.0 version.

When Atmos came along, I found the 4 Powerpoint 1.2's on eBay at a ridiculously wonderful price.

Jim Thiel unfortunately passed from cancer several years ago. Jim was a passionate speaker-inventor, tinkerer, perfectionist craftsman. Since his passing, the company was sold, moved to Nashville and has died. Google "Thiel Audio" to locate a "The Last Days of THIEL Audio" dated 3/5/18 in Home Theater Review, which tells the story and also lists a former Thiel employee who provides service for Thiel's up to year 2012.

Prior to installing my dual SVS SB-16 Ultra's, I had had them paired with dual Velodyne DD-15's. While the DD-15's paired reasonably well, the SB-16 Ultra's are a huge improvement over the DD-15's. The SVS remote control via iPhone coupled with the Quick Measure feature of Anthem ARC-2 enables minute adjustments that couple the subs and ceiling mounted eleven (11) Thiel speakers exquisitely. And my media-room with such, enjoys high WAF with the speakers painted out to match my pine wood ceiling )

Thank you for enduring my reminisce about a favorite chapter of my A/V hobby. I just turned 70 and it has been a 50-year ride !

Chris

JVC RS3000 in AeroLift 150, Paladin DCR lens, Lumagen Radiance Pro, Two Screens: Stewart ElectiScreen StudioTek 130G 153” 240:1 and Screen Innovations Motorized Series 5 Slate 1.2 120" 16:9, Rack: Anthem AVM-60, Oppo 203, Sony CX-7000ES BD Changer, two Anthem A-5's, Rotel 1075, Atmos 7.2.4: 7 Thiel PowerPoint 1.2's, 2 SVS SB-16 Ultra's, 4 Thiel PowerPlane 1.2's. Projector cabling: FIBBR + RUIPro 10M, Remote: URC MX-990.
post #1272 of 1278 Old 11-18-2018, 06:16 PM
SDL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cargen View Post
I love my 7 Thiel Powerpoint 1.2's and 4 Powerplane 1.2's. I originally purchased the Powerpoint as version 1.0's, mostly pre-owned via Audiogon and eBay. The I.2's were later released in a different shape and a much better, more non-resonant iron-type enclosure. I remember phoning Thiel's Lexington KY-based headquarters/factory to inquire would it be possible to have my version 1's remanufactured into the 1.2 version. They agreed to do it for a very reasonable $350 per speaker, which involved simply relocating the speaker diaphragm and related crossover and parts into the new enclosure. I had it done "gradually", whereby, I shipped only 2 at a time, thus never being without an adequate temporary 5.1 system. The 1.2's sound improvement was a nice upgrade over the 1.0 version.

When Atmos came along, I found the 4 Powerpoint 1.2's on eBay at a ridiculously wonderful price.

Jim Thiel unfortunately passed from cancer several years ago. Jim was a passionate speaker-inventor, tinkerer, perfectionist craftsman. Since his passing, the company was sold, moved to Nashville and has died. Google "Thiel Audio" to locate a "The Last Days of THIEL Audio" dated 3/5/18 in Home Theater Review, which tells the story and also lists a former Thiel employee who provides service for Thiel's up to year 2012.

Prior to installing my dual SVS SB-16 Ultra's, I had had them paired with dual Velodyne DD-15's. While the DD-15's paired reasonably well, the SB-16 Ultra's are a huge improvement over the DD-15's. The SVS remote control via iPhone coupled with the Quick Measure feature of Anthem ARC-2 enables minute adjustments that couple the subs and ceiling mounted eleven (11) Thiel speakers exquisitely. And my media-room with such, enjoys high WAF with the speakers painted out to match my pine wood ceiling )

Thank you for enduring my reminisce about a favorite chapter of my A/V hobby. I just turned 70 and it has been a 50-year ride !

Chris
I agree with you completely regarding the improvement in sound in the Powerpoint 1.2 compared with the original plastic-cabinet version. I use 5 of the Powerpoints in a 5.1 system that also uses a SmartSub SS-1. The SS-1 is not at all boomy and blends seamlessly with the Powepoints via a Thiel 5-channel crossover that makes the sub a natural extension of the Powerpoints, which are run as full-range speakers rather than as restricted-range satellites. I guess this is similar to the way that REL subs are configured in many systems.

My other Thiel speakers are a pair of 2.2s, which are part of a classic 2-channel music system without a subwoofer. I haven't replaced my amp (Adcom 555II) and preamp (Bryston .5B) in years, but I'm considering getting a preamp that has a remote control so that I don't have to walk across the room to adjust the volume. Unfortunately, I'm worried that I won't be able to match or better the sound I have now if I change the amp and preamp driving the Thiels. I've been looking at a Parasound P6 preamp and maybe an A23+ or A21+ power amp, but I don't have a local dealer that would allow me to demo those components.

Any suggestions would be appreciated for amps that would power the Thiels well but not be unreasonably expensive.

Scott
post #1273 of 1278 Old 11-18-2018, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDL View Post
I agree with you completely regarding the improvement in sound in the Powerpoint 1.2 compared with the original plastic-cabinet version. I use 5 of the Powerpoints in a 5.1 system that also uses a SmartSub SS-1. The SS-1 is not at all boomy and blends seamlessly with the Powepoints via a Thiel 5-channel crossover that makes the sub a natural extension of the Powerpoints, which are run as full-range speakers rather than as restricted-range satellites. I guess this is similar to the way that REL subs are configured in many systems.

My other Thiel speakers are a pair of 2.2s, which are part of a classic 2-channel music system without a subwoofer. I haven't replaced my amp (Adcom 555II) and preamp (Bryston .5B) in years, but I'm considering getting a preamp that has a remote control so that I don't have to walk across the room to adjust the volume. Unfortunately, I'm worried that I won't be able to match or better the sound I have now if I change the amp and preamp driving the Thiels. I've been looking at a Parasound P6 preamp and maybe an A23+ or A21+ power amp, but I don't have a local dealer that would allow me to demo those components.

Any suggestions would be appreciated for amps that would power the Thiels well but not be unreasonably expensive.

Scott
I had the Parasound P7 paired with a Theta Dreadnaught amp driving my CS6's for about 6 1/2 years and was very happy with it.
SDL likes this.
post #1274 of 1278 Old 11-19-2018, 09:16 AM
SDL

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molasar View Post
I had the Parasound P7 paired with a Theta Dreadnaught amp driving my CS6's for about 6 1/2 years and was very happy with it.
Thanks for the feedback! If I decide to get the new Parasound P6 preamp, I'll probably try it first with my Adcom 555-II amp and see what it sounds like before I consider alternatives. I've been happy with the Adcom amp, but it's at least 25 years old now and may not last forever.
Molasar likes this.
post #1275 of 1278 Old 02-03-2019, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Hey folks, 
not sure if this forum is active but if it is, i could use some recommendations for optimizing my home theater.  

Im running 5.1 with Thiel 3.7 as my Fronts, an SCS3 center and 2.3s for my rear.  I have then connected to a Denon POA-A1HDC on bridge mode which provides 500w to 4 ohms. Running audyssey has some problems maxing out my fronts.  I was was wondering if I should forgo the bridge mode and drop to 300w. Vs the recommendation to use attenuators to get audyssey to balance.  I know the 3.7s are known to be power hungry, but the area in the basement is not very large.  (I sit 8 feet away from center).  Any my thoughts are appreciated.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
post #1276 of 1278 Old 02-17-2019, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 176
I don’t find the 3.7s to be power hungry. Sensitivity is 90dB. They need current more than anything. I have cut the gain on my amps 6dB and it’s still plenty loud.

"This one goes to eleven." Martin Logan Descent-i subwoofer
post #1277 of 1278 Old 05-13-2019, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have an ss2 I purchased from an auction. One of the woofers is bad. How would I go about replacing it? Or getting parts to fix it?
post #1278 of 1278 Old 05-13-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked: 4307
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodie5793 View Post
I have an ss2 I purchased from an auction. One of the woofers is bad. How would I go about replacing it? Or getting parts to fix it?
Contact Rob Gillum at Coherent Source Service. Phone 1-859 554 9790. Rob worked at Thiel for 30 years. He was the director of manufacturing. He can service any Thiel speaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page