Official AV123/Onix Owners Thread: TECHNICAL TALK ONLY - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #61 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawaun da bomb View Post

Damn,nobbie look at that piano ass on those Mini's!

LOL! Check this out:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 05:11 PM

And this!

I was listening to a bunch of CD's and when I stood up, I realized I could see them spread out on the floor in the reflection of the Piano Finish of the Rosewood. My family thinks I'm crazy with the pics I take!
post #63 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbie View Post

And this!

I was listening to a bunch of CD's and when I stood up, I realized I could see them spread out on the floor in the reflection of the Piano Finish of the Rosewood. My family thinks I'm crazy with the pics I take!

Damn,you cant show anymore pictures of them thats crazy beauty,mine arent gonna be PR,but the satin Rosewood is almost as beautiful, I'll still be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady84 View Post

I just purchased the RS1000 Rocket Package yesterday and I'm picking them up Today (as I live in Denver)! Do any of the Rocket owners out there have a preferred break in procedure etc?

Also I have a real crappy sub right now that only goes to 35hrz and isn't too clean IMHO, do you think I should still run it as a LFE for the rear surrounds (RSS300 Dipoles) as their response only goes to about 60hz or should I just leave it out of the picture?

This is all of course temporary until a real sub can be purchased.

I also ordered the RS1000's with the RSC200 and two pairs of RSS300's (got a killer deal). Should be here on Monday, can't wait! I too have a crappy sub, an Onkyo 150 watt 8" that came with my home theater in a box. Heck, the woofers in the RS1000 are better. I want to upgrade in a few months to a Hsu VTF-3 MK3 with turbocharger. Also need to upgrade the receiver, waiting for a good hdmi one to come out with no bugs and 4 hdmi inputs.

Samsung 85" 4K, Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 with MartinLogan Theos, Stage, Motion 15, EM-R, Seaton Submersive F2, Denon AVR-X5200W
post #65 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I don't like the rosewood. Now the ebony version is a thing of beauty.
post #66 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 06:08 PM

I have a 5.1 system upstairs with:

Ferrari Red X-LS for L/R
Black X-CS
Black X-LS rears
Black X-sub

Driven by Yamaha HTR-5790
Samsung 3251 LCD
Toshiba A1 HDDVD

Also in this system as an Aux:

Onix SP3 driving Ref .5s (soon to be replaced with single driver Jordan JX92s)

Downstairs I am constructing an HT with:

Rocket 760 L/R
Rocket RSC200 (soon to upgrade to sig)
X-CS rear
.5s from upstairs as back rears
Optoma HD70 PJ
This system will cannibalize upstairs electronics when completed so something will be upgraded.

post #67 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 06:28 PM

Happy to see this thread.

My HT consists of:

850's
250 MKII's
RSC 200
UFW-12
(Oh, and I also have a Klipsch KSW-10 to go along with my 12)

I gotta say, that I love my system.
post #68 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Okay, I'll play! I must admit I haven't posted here in ages. As any of you know, I've pretty much jumped head first into Mark's pool of sweet, sweet Kool-Aid! My home theater has taken on five or six different configurations in just 12 months, all with AV123 products. And my 2-Channel rig has involved three different AV123 speaker pairs. Oh, yeah, and I'm still beta testing the AV123 Sputnix Sat/Sub 2.1 PC speaker system for Mark!

Here's my current HT Rig:

Nobbie, very nice set up, but I think those Minis are just screaming out for a sweet plasma girlfriend....
post #69 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Thank you Sir... for compensating for all your shortcomings and insecurities!
post #70 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post

Damn I wish I'd jumped on those when they had them.
post #71 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 194
nobbie...that Strata Mini setup looks GREAT! I agree with droht on the plasma....really bring out the imaging when there is no flat surface in between the speakers.

billnchristy....the ferarri red looks great too!

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!
post #72 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 08:35 PM

Here is a shot of my newly acquired rosewood Mini Strata's.

post #73 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 08:43 PM

I've got 2 sets of 760 Rockets and the Bigfoot.
To the poster who asked about the Bigfoot (RSC 200 center channel speaker) -- it is excellent.
It just got an upgrade to its crossover, and it's even better now.
post #74 of 1807 Old 02-09-2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks for the kind words. And not to fear. What I neglected to mention is that the Mini's are only there to "hold down the fort" until the LS-6's arrive! Then they'll be moving to my office for the 2C Rig!
post #75 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 12:11 AM

Awesome looking Minis

Can anyone who have listened to or lucky to have both of the Mini and Ref 3 tell me how are these 2 different ? I realized that they are more for music while the Rockets are more for HT, but what would you pick if you have to chose between the Mini and Ref 3 provided that you have the fund to buy either of them ?
post #76 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
I got the RS1ks, RSC200 and RS250 MKIIs a year ago, with the Onkyo sub for LFE, just run the RS1ks as large.

Then got a SVS PB12+2 in matching Rosewood, now run the RS1ks as small for HT use. Large for music listening.

As to break-in, just keep watching movies, and some music with a wide dynamic range.

Recently added an Acurus 200x3 amp for the RS1ks and Bigfoot so they could really flex their muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSolar View Post

I also ordered the RS1000's with the RSC200 and two pairs of RSS300's (got a killer deal). Should be here on Monday, can't wait! I too have a crappy sub, an Onkyo 150 watt 8" that came with my home theater in a box. Heck, the woofers in the RS1000 are better. I want to upgrade in a few months to a Hsu VTF-3 MK3 with turbocharger. Also need to upgrade the receiver, waiting for a good hdmi one to come out with no bugs and 4 hdmi inputs.

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #77 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bqv1910 View Post

Awesome looking Minis

Can anyone who have listened to or lucky to have both of the Mini and Ref 3 tell me how are these 2 different ? I realized that they are more for music while the Rockets are more for HT, but what would you pick if you have to chose between the Mini and Ref 3 provided that you have the fund to buy either of them ?

Required Info First:

Sonos: 80
SP3: Upgraded Tubes
Piano Rosewood Strata Minis

I finally got to here the Ref 3 and as expected was very impressed. My personal favorite is the Mini, mainly because I love the imaging, depth, and vocal presence of a hybrid speaker. This is simply a personal preference.

While they are always said to be more for music, I will tell you I love them for HT and have gotten the same response from others using them for both. I have a HT room and I switch the Minis over for Movies with good soundtracks, and wow, they really bring them alive. With the powered amps and extra bass, its like icing on the cake if you are already using a separate sub. Frankly, theres so much bass in the Minis, I don't know if I can hear the seperate.

As I said before, my preference is a good hybrid speaker, matched to a seamlessly integrated bass to pick up the low end, and the Minis do this so well. The Ref 3's really should be discussed by someone who has spent more time than my limited exposure, but I was very impressed! From what I have heard, they are able to fill a larger room better, and that makes sense. It is tougher for a hybrid to do this, however, my HT room is the perfect size for the Minis. Don't get me wrong, the Minis have no problem with an filling a room. I haven't gotten close to hitting their limits. But from what I've read, if you want to crank a really big room, the Ref 3's do this better.

Wish I could own both!

Great Thread. I'll post pictures soon.
post #78 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

nobbie...that Strata Mini setup looks GREAT! I agree with droht on the plasma....really bring out the imaging when there is no flat surface in between the speakers.

A plasma is still flat. If you put it up on the wall, then your neck is strained from looking up all the time.

If anything, bringing the speakers out another foot is all that is needed.
post #79 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 01:36 PM
jp5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick53 View Post

Here is a shot of my newly acquired rosewood Mini Strata's.

Yikes, right next to the fireplace!
post #80 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 02:22 PM

Liked: 11
Nice to see a new AV123 Owner's thread here.

RS750 Sig fronts
RSC200 (aka Bigfoot)
RS250 rears (not pictured here)
UFW-10 subwoofer

Emotiva "Ultra-Lite" combo (this pic is before I bought them, will have to update eventually)

post #81 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

A plasma is still flat. If you put it up on the wall, then your neck is strained from looking up all the time.

If anything, bringing the speakers out another foot is all that is needed.

That's what I meant....move the screen to the wall or bring the speakers out. If you move it to the wall, mount it to reduce neck strain. I believe having the bottom third of the TV at eye height is the guideline.

Bringing out the speaker a foot will help, but even still, the TV in the middle will affect imaging.

-curtis
Owner of Wavecrest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!
post #82 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked: 3104
My "modest" Rocket setup:

Front: RS1000 Signature
Center: RSC200 (Bigfoot) Ninja Master Signature
Sides: RS750 Signature
Rears: RS750
Subwoofers: UFW-12 x2 (soon to be UFW-12 Mk2 x2 + BMF-1)

I also have a pair of Onix X-LS next to my flanking my PC monitor for PC speakers.
post #83 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 05:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Forgive me, as this is an owner's thread. Can prospective buyers post here?
Just sent this email to [email protected], but I decided to paste it here for any valuable input you guys may have.

"I have been salivating over your speakers as I am on the hunt for linear, accurate, and affordable products. I have been most, most interested in your center speakers, but unfortunately the Rocket Bigfoot is too big to fit, and the Reference is way outside my budget.

So, due to the aforementioned restrictions I'd like to purchase the x-series center. Question 1) However, for the mains, would you consider voice-matching a concern if I coupled the x-center with a pair of Rocket speakers? Due to this fear, I am strongly considering pre-ordering x-sls towers to match the center.

I currently own a budget Onkyo htib that I've had for 6 months. I truly have loved it, as its my first system that is more than 2-channel. But now, I need better already. Question 2) Is it a total crime to maintain the Onkyo speakers for my surrounds/rears? I know, I am concerned with voice matching, but I have monetary and WAF concerns. I fear your quality speakers may be a bit too obtrusive for our living room. Question 3) Also, the Onkyo 504 receiver: is this also a crime to use? It is almost completely devoid of eq adjustments, and I have little intention of buying "separates" to power the speakers- too much money. Since Ive been bitten by the HT bug, I track down as many dts-es soundtracks as possible. However, I am normally a very avid classical music fan (I have 3 degrees in this field). just fyi.

Question 4, an unfair one: Outside of your own line of subs, which would you recommend for the aforementioned concerns of linear, accurate, and affordable. My favorite I have heard has been a REL, although I am not sure it can handle HT as well as music. I know this is extremely subjective, but worth a shot.

That's it for now. I appreciate any input and advice you may give to a prospective buyer that may spend as little as $500 on products from your company. You guys have a great rep, so I decided to take advantage! Im sure customers who have spent 10x as much would not be so bothersome, forgive me."

post #84 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 06:38 PM

There are going to be a lot of x-series speakers, so there will be a lot of speakers that will voice match with the x-center.
post #85 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 06:45 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by etcarroll View Post

I got the RS1ks, RSC200 and RS250 MKIIs a year ago, with the Onkyo sub for LFE, just run the RS1ks as large.

Then got a SVS PB12+2 in matching Rosewood, now run the RS1ks as small for HT use. Large for music listening.

As to break-in, just keep watching movies, and some music with a wide dynamic range.

Recently added an Acurus 200x3 amp for the RS1ks and Bigfoot so they could really flex their muscle.

How much was the Acurus 200x3 amp? And did you notice a big difference, particularly in movies?

Samsung 85" 4K, Dolby Atmos 7.1.4 with MartinLogan Theos, Stage, Motion 15, EM-R, Seaton Submersive F2, Denon AVR-X5200W
post #86 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 07:31 PM
axs
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

My "modest" Rocket setup:

Front: RS1000 Signature
Center: RSC200 (Bigfoot) Ninja Master Signature
Sides: RS750 Signature
Rears: RS750

I also have a pair of Onix X-LS next to my flanking my PC monitor for PC speakers.

Only thing "modest" in your setup is you yourself (these rockets certainly don't look like modest ... )

Very nice indeed.
post #87 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 08:27 PM

Josten-

I would certainly stay within the line, as an owner of X and rocket speakers they are voiced VERY different.

There is no crime in an all X system and even though it does not cost a lot of money it certainly is not a budget system...the sound is spectacular. I have stated many times that I have no motivation to complete my Rocket HT because the X system sounds so good.

Go for the X-CS and a set of SLS or even MTM for your mains.

Try the Onkyo HTIB rears and when you get sick of them, replace them.

Try the reciever, although be warned that most that have tried using an HTIB reciever have been disappointed...seems the freq. response and wattage is not up to par!

There are several right at $200 or a shade over recievers that are highly regarded from Yammie, Pioneer, and Panasonic, all having been used with X with great results.

Good luck in your search!!
post #88 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello everyone, great honor to be part of this thread.

RS450 with Master Ninja Upgrade
RS200 with Master Ninja Upgade
UFW-12 (awaiting HotRod Mod)
Emotiva LPA-1
Emotiva LMC-1
Counterpoint SA220

Incoming
PR XLS
REF 0.5

post #89 of 1807 Old 02-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post

Are you going to go stereo + LFE or 3x LFE?
post #90 of 1807 Old 02-11-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord View Post

Are you going to go stereo + LFE or 3x LFE?

I will probably end up going 3x LFE initially. That will probably turn into 4x LFE as I also have a big bad DIY subwoofer to further enhance things. It might get a redesign to complement the BMF-1 and 2 UFW-12 Mk2s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page