Canton owner's 'club' - Page 26 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 187Likes

post #751 of 1065 Old 01-11-2018, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox13 View Post
I recently purchased the center speaker (but you knew that ).

I use it for 90% HT, and it sounds exactly the way you described your sound preference.

Did you read the reviews on Amazon Germany?
Yes, the reviews were really good on there. I also see right now that Polk is offering their RTiA series speakers for 40% off. Which is pretty comparable in price (with the 40% off right now) to these. Hmmm...decisions, decisions lol. Does Canton have any US based support?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1065 Old 01-11-2018, 10:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2728 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catastrophic View Post
Yes, the reviews were really good on there. I also see right now that Polk is offering their RTiA series speakers for 40% off. Which is pretty comparable in price (with the 40% off right now) to these. Hmmm...decisions, decisions lol. Does Canton have any US based support?
There are US support email/phone numbers... although I think last time I contacted them, some guy in Germany emailed me back. At least he replied back in english.

There is another option which I forgot to mention --
go for a set of Kef Q100s as sides, chrono center. I know someone here did that (maybe his were Q300s) and likes it a lot, stated the chrono matches very well with kefs.

I know from my own ears that the Kefs and ancient cantons w/ metal tweeter aren't that bad a match. You probably could save a bit doing it that way, and if you go for the Q100 first and don't like it, easy returns to BB.
post #753 of 1065 Old 01-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Yes, the reviews were really good on there.
Does Canton have any US based support?

How did my description compare to the many who reviewed them on Amazon Germany?

And, Yes.....Canton has U.S. based support (listed on website).

Our service provider:

SAM-SON DISTRIBUTION CENTER, INC.
203 Eggert Road
Buffalo, New York 14215
Phone: (800) 677-2535
Fax: 716-894-7229
Repair Center:

Dan Wergen - D.W. LABS
203 Eggert Rd.
Buffalo, NY 14215
USA
Ph. 716 896-9801
Fax 716 896-9802
Email: [email protected]

59" Samsung Series 7000 Plasma TV Samsung BD-D5500 Blu-ray player
Onkyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver
Canton TBD (Center) Canton Chrono SL 596 DC (L & R)
JBL SP6CII (Frt Height & RR Surround)
Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #754 of 1065 Old 01-11-2018, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe Doe View Post
I used to own the GLE 456 center, and although it was quite nice for music, I found it lacking as a center. Basically it's sort of the opposite of what you want ... it wasn't super detailed or crisp, and I found the bass sometimes muddied dialogue a little bit.

If you stated you wanted a setup primarily for music, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the GLEs (although even then, I'd probably say go for a chrono center mismatch for HT use) ... but for almost all HT, I'm not sure the GLE meets your detailed, crisp requirements.

19 more opinions and reviews from those who purchased the GLE 455.2 center speaker.

https://translate.google.com/transla...333%26sr%3D8-1

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #755 of 1065 Old 01-11-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
19 more opinions and reviews from those who purchased the GLE 455.2 center speaker.

https://translate.google.com/transla...333%26sr%3D8-1
I'm not here to get into an argument with you about the GLE center. You like yours, that's great. I simply stated my opinion on the model I had. I'm not saying everyone will feel the same way. If he wants crisp + detailed, the canton metal tweeter is what I think he'd prefer over the soft dome version.

Of course the chrono is more pricey, but I mentioned an alternative with Kef sides that would sort of even out the cost.

And amazon reviews should be always taken with a grain of salt. We can also find Pioneer C22s with rave amazon reviews and so on.
post #756 of 1065 Old 01-11-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I'm not here to get into an argument with you about the GLE center. You like yours, that's great. I simply stated my opinion on the model I had. I'm not saying everyone will feel the same way. If he wants crisp + detailed, the canton metal tweeter is what I think he'd prefer over the soft dome version.

Of course the chrono is more pricey, but I mentioned an alternative with Kef sides that would sort of even out the cost.

And amazon reviews should be always taken with a grain of salt. We can also find Pioneer C22s with rave amazon reviews and so on.
No argument is taking place.

We all have our own preferences.

Will the Chrono with aluminum tweeter sound more crisp & detailed.....Yes.

Will the OP prefer the aluminum tweeter vs soft dome:
I'm not an Audiologist or the OP, so I cannot speak to his tweeter preference.
But he is eyeing Polk, which have soft dome tweeters.

The Amazon reviews should absolutely be taken with a grain of salt......they have first hand experience.

And of course there are plenty "Well Received" & "All the Rave" reviews on junk AV equipment.

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000

Last edited by Boombox13; 01-11-2018 at 12:07 PM.
post #757 of 1065 Old 01-11-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
No argument is taking place.

We all have our own preferences.

Will the Chrono with aluminum tweeter sound more crisp & detailed.....Yes.

Will the OP prefer the aluminum tweeter vs soft dome:
I'm not an Audiologist or the OP, so I cannot speak to his tweeter preference.
But he is eyeing Polk, which have soft dome tweeters.

The Amazon reviews should absolutely be taken with a grain of salt......they have first hand experience.

And of course there are plenty "Well Received" & "All the Rave" reviews on junk AV equipment.
What do you guys think about the Pol RTiA series for mainly HT use? They are 40% off right now.

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia1 (regular $325/pair...on sale for $195/pair)

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/csia4 (regular $250...on sale for $150)

So that would put me at under $350 total for both the bookshelfs and center.
post #758 of 1065 Old 01-11-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I used to own the GLE 456 center, and although it was quite nice for music, I found it lacking as a center. Basically it's sort of the opposite of what you want ... it wasn't super detailed or crisp, and I found the bass sometimes muddied dialogue a little bit.

Doe Doe, the GLE 456 & 455 are basically the same speaker.
Would you agree or disagree that either GLE's are better
sound & build quality vs a similarly (or any) priced Polk?

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #759 of 1065 Old 01-11-2018, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Doe Doe, the GLE 456 & 455 are basically the same speaker.
Would you agree or disagree that either GLE's are better
sound & build quality vs a similarly (or any) priced Polk?
I've only heard the Polks Ts, and I can say without hesitation that the GLEs are way better than those. But then again, pretty much anything would be.

Afraid I haven't heard the higher (or medium) - end Polks.
post #760 of 1065 Old 01-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
What do you guys think about the Pol RTiA series for mainly HT use? They are 40% off right now.

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/rtia1 (regular $325/pair...on sale for $195/pair)

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/csia4 (regular $250...on sale for $150)

So that would put me at under $350 total for both the bookshelfs and center.

In my opinion, the Polk lack detail vs Canton.
And yes I have listened to them.

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #761 of 1065 Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Kasey View Post
Has anyone run power amps on Canton chrono series? Looking at getting a monolith 7 or outlaw 7140. I really would like to see if these speakers will open up some more.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
My buddy owns a high end HT installation company. He used to run an old set of Chrono towers with a pair of huge Parasound monoblocks for 2 channel listening. He said the more power he threw at the old Chronos, the better and better they sounded. I have new Chrono 519 DC's, 515 center, and 511's for surrounds and Atmos ceilings on order with him for my HT. I'll be running an Emotive XPA-9 Gen3 amp to power everything. I'm bi-amping the 519 towers, so I think they with be seeing around 600 watts or so total to each speaker. Once I get all of it up and running and break everything in, I will report back here.
post #762 of 1065 Old 01-14-2018, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoardrider View Post
My buddy owns a high end HT installation company. He used to run an old set of Chrono towers with a pair of huge Parasound monoblocks for 2 channel listening. He said the more power he threw at the old Chronos, the better and better they sounded. I have new Chrono 519 DC's, 515 center, and 511's for surrounds and Atmos ceilings on order with him for my HT. I'll be running an Emotive XPA-9 Gen3 amp to power everything. I'm bi-amping the 519 towers, so I think they with be seeing around 600 watts or so total to each speaker. Once I get all of it up and running and break everything in, I will report back here.
Thanks for the reply let me know when you get it all setup. I am running everything currently with a anthem MRX 720. Seems like it's not enough to get them to open up. I think they need alot of power to get them to sing unstrained. I am just worried they also have there limitations too. Don't want to blow a speaker

post #763 of 1065 Old 01-14-2018, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Thanks for the reply let me know when you get it all setup. I am running everything currently with a anthem MRX 720. Seems like it's not enough to get them to open up. I think they need alot of power to get them to sing unstrained. I am just worried they also have there limitations too. Don't want to blow a speaker

As I'm sure you already know, most speakers blow from under powering them, rarely from overpowering them. Any of those amps you are looking to upgrade too are sure to be a big improvement.
My HT installation friend replaced his Chronos with his own custom made towers using Focal Utopia's, and runs 10,000 watts thru them. He claims you can never over power a speaker when used/built correctly.
post #764 of 1065 Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I was at an estate sale over the weekend and picked up four Canton Plus X.2's with wall mounts for a grand total of $20. Have not heard these yet but believe they will be good as surrounds for my home theater. Does anybody have any experience or has anybody heard this model of Canton speakers? At $20 I am not worried if they don't work out. Look to be in excellent condition and hop to hook them up and give them a listen later this evening..

Darenwh

Just getting started. Hope to have some decent equipment within a year or two.
post #765 of 1065 Old 01-15-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darenwh View Post
I was at an estate sale over the weekend and picked up four Canton Plus X.2's with wall mounts for a grand total of $20. Have not heard these yet but believe they will be good as surrounds for my home theater. Does anybody have any experience or has anybody heard this model of Canton speakers? At $20 I am not worried if they don't work out. Look to be in excellent condition and hop to hook them up and give them a listen later this evening..

Four Canton Plus X.2's with mounts for $20.00....I'd say you got one hell of a deal.
Should be perfect for surround speakers.

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #766 of 1065 Old 01-15-2018, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Four Canton Plus X.2's with mounts for $20.00....I'd say you got one hell of a deal.
Good to hear. I suspect they will be good performers. Cannot wait to connect these and see what they can do...

Darenwh

Just getting started. Hope to have some decent equipment within a year or two.
post #767 of 1065 Old 01-15-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I've only heard the Polks Ts, and I can say without hesitation that the GLEs are way better than those. But then again, pretty much anything would be.

Afraid I haven't heard the higher (or medium) - end Polks.
What about between the Sony Cores or Canton GLEs? Which would be more detailed/crisper? I read somewheres that the Sony Core center speaker is the weak link, so I'd assume the GLE center would outperform it. BTW, the Sony Cores are on sale right now at Best Buy for $120. SO I could get the pair of bookshelf speakers and the center for $240 total.
post #768 of 1065 Old 01-15-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's a really nice deal.

I'm using a pair of XS.2s as surrounds, which are in the same family. They have the same size drivers I think, except mine are sort of squashed down, with the tweeter directly over the woofer.

Mine sound good to me. I wouldn't want to use them as fronts, unless in a small room, but as surrounds they are fine. I got mine cheap too, on ebay ... $57 w/ AV 700, and I eventually sold the AV700 for like $50. They also look kind of nice on their little thin stands.

Edit: Oops, meant to reply to darenwh ... well, I'm sure if he follows the thread he'll see this.

Last edited by Doe Doe; 01-15-2018 at 11:47 AM.
post #769 of 1065 Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What about between the Sony Cores or Canton GLEs? Which would be more detailed/crisper? I read somewheres that the Sony Core center speaker is the weak link, so I'd assume the GLE center would outperform it. BTW, the Sony Cores are on sale right now at Best Buy for $120. SO I could get the pair of bookshelf speakers and the center for $240 total.

Hmm... well, I already stated my opinion on the GLE center I had, but since the Core center is only supposed to be so-so, the GLE could be better (probably is). If you can fit in a Core bookshelf vertically as a center however, there may be the better way to go.

I found the Core bookshelves crisper than the GLE, but bass and fullness-wise, the GLE would beat it.

If you want crispness, the Kef Q100s are the speakers to look at, in my opinion.
post #770 of 1065 Old 01-15-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Catastrophic, go to BB and compare the Sony to the Polk and see if the Sony is more of the same.

Keep in mind that if you go to BB (or any retailer), quality will only go so
far within your budget.

Canton speakers at accessories4less give you the opportunity to buy higher
quality for less.

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #771 of 1065 Old 01-26-2018, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker here and I am in need of some advice from the Canton crowd. I am currently running a pair of Ascend Acoustic towers with raal, and I use them for about 60 HT/40 music. For music they are incredible, but I am not too thrilled when it comes to home theater. I feel that it's lacking the higher dynamics and that nice high clarity? It's hard to explain it and I just can't place my finger on it, but I feel that it's missing something. I found a local guy selling a new pair of Canton Vento 890.2 with the matching 856.2 center. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to take them home for a demo, but I will definitely be able to listen to them at his home.

My question is, does anyone here have any experience with both and choose one or the other? Will the ventos come close to the Ascends in terms of music, and exceed the Ascends in movies? Should I just stick with ascends and be happy with them? It's a tough decision and I need your help.

I am currently running the Acends with a yamaha rx-a3050 receiver, a 5 channel parasound amp, an oppo 103 for music, and a Panasonic ubd900 for 4k, and a hsu sub. All cablings are Audio quest with 72dbs. Thanks guys.
post #772 of 1065 Old 01-29-2018, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiochris916 View Post
Hey guys, I've been a long time lurker here and I am in need of some advice from the Canton crowd. I am currently running a pair of Ascend Acoustic towers with raal, and I use them for about 60 HT/40 music. For music they are incredible, but I am not too thrilled when it comes to home theater. I feel that it's lacking the higher dynamics and that nice high clarity? It's hard to explain it and I just can't place my finger on it, but I feel that it's missing something. I found a local guy selling a new pair of Canton Vento 890.2 with the matching 856.2 center. Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to take them home for a demo, but I will definitely be able to listen to them at his home.

My question is, does anyone here have any experience with both and choose one or the other? Will the ventos come close to the Ascends in terms of music, and exceed the Ascends in movies? Should I just stick with ascends and be happy with them? It's a tough decision and I need your help.

I am currently running the Acends with a yamaha rx-a3050 receiver, a 5 channel parasound amp, an oppo 103 for music, and a Panasonic ubd900 for 4k, and a hsu sub. All cablings are Audio quest with 72dbs. Thanks guys.
I don't have any experience with the Vento; but my Ergo 1002DCs are a similar design. Ergo's are a step BELOW the Vento in quality/price. Mine have a very similar 7" Aluminum membrane mid, and a 1" aluminum/magnesium tweeter. I would think the ceramic tweeter in the Ventos would be awesome. The Ergos are very detailed and sparkling on the high end without being too edgy. The bass is deep and well controlled with absolutely no 'chuffing.' Vocals are spooky good. I use them only for 2 channel music. They are pretty sensitive to placement. You can stick 'em where ever you want and they'll sound great. Then experiment and you cab achieve nirvana.

I don't know if that gives you any more confidence; but before I bought mine the were in the HT of a movie producer in the Hamptons. If the seller is in the NJ area and the price is reasonable I'll buy them and you can have the Ergos and the center channel. ;^)
post #773 of 1065 Old 01-29-2018, 10:09 AM

Just got these goodies delivered this past weekend! It's the Canton GLE 426 bookshelf speakers. Got the chance to hook them up and all I can say is ....WOW! They sound amazing, great detail and clarity with a deep richness of highs, mids, and lows! I had previously bought the Polk T15s without knowing much about speakers and them returned them once I found out how awful they were...so you can imagine the difference! I demoed the BW 686 S2s in the Magnolia section at BB and these give them a run for their money at HALF the cost. They sound almost identical to me. Extremely pleased with these.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180126_193919.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	2353236  

Last edited by Catastrophic; 01-29-2018 at 10:16 AM.
post #774 of 1065 Old 01-29-2018, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3350 Post(s)
Liked: 3248
Quote:
Just got these goodies delivered this week!
Nice -- enjoy the adventure

----------------
Who AM I
post #775 of 1065 Old 01-29-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Just got these goodies delivered this past weekend! It's the Canton GLE 426 bookshelf speakers. Got the chance to hook them up and all I can say is ....WOW! They sound amazing, great detail and clarity with a deep richness of highs, mids, and lows! I had previously bought the Polk T15s without knowing much about speakers and them returned them once I found out how awful they were...so you can imagine the difference! I demoed the BW 686 S2s in the Magnolia section at BB and these give them a run for their money at HALF the cost. They sound almost identical to me. Extremely pleased with these.
Glad your happy.

I hope that any member who is on a limited budget will also consider a "leap of faith" on the Canton GLE's.
Lp85253 and westbergjoakim like this.

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #776 of 1065 Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thanks 2channel8 for your reply.

Anyone else?
post #777 of 1065 Old 02-05-2018, 07:01 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiochris916 View Post
Thanks 2channel8 for your reply.

Anyone else?
Have you gone to the seller's place to listen yet? That will be the best advice you get. Maybe he can give you a 15 day return period or something. Or could you bring one of the Ascends with you to the demo? If you research the Ventos you will find some great reviews such as this one:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...speaker-page-2

But in the end, only you can decide what you like. BTW, Accessories4less has them for $1400 each. How much does this guy want and where is he? If you don't take them, I may

Last edited by 2channel8; 02-05-2018 at 07:04 AM. Reason: addendum
post #778 of 1065 Old 02-11-2018, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Does anybody have these Canton GLE 420.2 bookshelf speakers (see link below):

Or the Canton GLE matching center channel (see link below):

If so, could you give me your opinion on them? My main listening wants/needs are for HT (90% of the time) and seldom for music. I bought some budget Polks (T15/30), but after further consideration I decided to return them and do some more research before making another hasty decision. I want a very clear, detailed, crisp center channel...but not too bright. At the price these are now they seem like a really great choice, just trying to get a little more input on them. My other option right now is the Sony Core bookshelves and center.
Hey, I have the GLE 455.2. Unlike another poster, I think it is very good for dialog, clearer then the Klipsch center it replaced. It matched well with Klipsch towers and matches well with new Chrono 509.2. If I'd had the Chrono towers, I'd probably have gone with the matching center. But no urge to upgrade now.
post #779 of 1065 Old 02-13-2018, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 73
My chrono 5.1 setup. I want to add front height speakers. Anyone know much about the canton Atmos speakers?

mtrot, siddious33, brianf7 and 1 others like this.
post #780 of 1065 Old 02-13-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
My chrono 5.1 setup. I want to add front height speakers. Anyone know much about the canton Atmos speakers?

Holy Jeezzee....that looks awesome.

Which model Chrono are the LCR (and subwoofer)?
Lp85253 and Norris Kasey like this.

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , chrono sl-536.2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page