Canton owner's 'club' - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 154Likes

post #961 of 988 Old 08-23-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 1165
A few posts previous I noted my total satisfaction with my Canton Vento series, they sound wonderful for both music and movies. I previous owned Klipsch Reference. The Cantons are much smoother, with a superior mid-range. Here is a pro review on the Canton Chrono series. Mark Fleischmann really liked them in a theater setup.

https://www.soundandvision.com/floor...XoSucsPSPR3.97

I’m a little surprised that A4L would recommend 3 center speakers for the L,R & C, especially in a room that size. Why not the 507.2 DC or 509.2 DC? I think either of those as L & R would make you happier.

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 988 Old 08-23-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Oh i see. So would you use two of them vertically for left and right and then one of the 505.2's horizontal for the center? That would work. Floor standers would also work and give a bit more output but are more money.

Which Denon do you have?

The Canton's are really nice so would say you probably can't go wrong with them. Polk LSiM's and Klipsch RP series speakers are also very good.
post #963 of 988 Old 08-24-2019, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
The Canton's are really nice so would say you probably can't go wrong with them.
Yes.

Let me ask you this.....what speakers have you listened to....and liked or disliked about them?

59" Samsung Series 7000 Plasma TV Samsung BD-D5500 Blu-ray player
Onkyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver
Canton TBD (Center) Canton Chrono SL 596 DC (L & R)
JBL SP6CII (Frt Height & RR Surround)
Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #964 of 988 Old 08-24-2019, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Oh i see. So would you use two of them vertically for left and right and then one of the 505.2's horizontal for the center? That would work. Floor standers would also work and give a bit more output but are more money.

Which Denon do you have?

The Canton's are really nice so would say you probably can't go wrong with them. Polk LSiM's and Klipsch RP series speakers are also very good.
Many center speakers have lobing issues in the horizontal plane, so personally I would be wary of using this center speaker for front left/right, as @B Benson wants to do.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspea...peaker-designs
post #965 of 988 Old 08-24-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell View Post
Many center speakers have lobing issues in the horizontal plane, so personally I would be wary of using this center speaker for front left/right, as @B Benson wants to do.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspea...peaker-designs
It is a 3 way center so may work fine as they have less of that lobing problem then 2 way MTM centers.
post #966 of 988 Old 08-24-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox13 View Post
Yes.

Let me ask you this.....what speakers have you listened to....and liked or disliked about them?
I was deciding last year which bookshelf I wanted and it was between the Canton 502.2, Elac 6.2, Wharfedale 220 or the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracy Monitor Plus's. That high end Morel tweeter on the Philharmonic was so smooth and mid and lows from a very good x-over design were a tad bit better than the Canton. If that had not been the case the Canton would have been great too. Sadly the owner of Philharmonic, Dennis Murphy had some health issues and no longer is in business so if it was a choice today I'd get the Canton's. I also listened to some Klipsch but think it was the older R series and did not like that at all. Sony Cores and Polk S15 too but it was at Best Buy and not ideal setup. The Polk S15's did sound better than the Klipsch or the Sony's by a fair margin. Should have taken them home to check but thought I had a good idea on their sound sigs so didn't.
post #967 of 988 Old 08-24-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
It is a 3 way center so may work fine as they have less of that lobing problem then 2 way MTM centers.
That could be, but personally I would avoid using a center speaker for front left/right.

The Canton Chrono 505.2 center is a 2.5-way, and it's only in the last few years that Canton has started to make 3-way center speakers.

https://www.canton.de/en/archive/chrono-505.2-center
post #968 of 988 Old 08-24-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That could be, but personally I would avoid using a center speaker for front left/right.

The Canton Chrono 505.2 center is a 2.5-way, and it's only in the last few years that Canton has started to make 3-way center speakers.

https://www.canton.de/en/archive/chrono-505.2-center
Accessories4less had it listed as a 3 way so they may be incorrect.

Boombox13, if you can at all afford it the Canton Vento bookshelf with the ceramic tweeter is one of those speakers you might be happy with for a very very very long time but those really nice speakers come at a cost.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...te-pair/1.html

If not the Chrono 502.2's or the 513 line would be great too.
post #969 of 988 Old 08-25-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:

Boombox13, if you can at all afford it the Canton Vento bookshelf with the ceramic tweeter is one of those speakers you might be happy with for a very very very long time but those really nice speakers come at a cost.
https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...te-pair/1.html

If not the Chrono 502.2's or the 513 line would be great too.
I agree that the Vento series is really good. However, I'm not looking to buy bookshelf speakers.

I recently purchased Canton Chrono SL 596 DC floorstanding speakers, with titanium mid and woofers.

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #970 of 988 Old 08-25-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox13 View Post
I agree that the Vento series is really good. However, I'm not looking to buy bookshelf speakers.

I recently purchased Canton Chrono SL 596 DC floorstanding speakers, with titanium mid and woofers.
The Vento 826 is a bookshelf speaker. I double checked my link and it goes to the 826 bookshelf. Just a suggestion and those 596's are very nice so you know what a good speaker they make.
post #971 of 988 Old 08-25-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
The Vento 826 is a bookshelf speaker. I double checked my link and it goes to the 826 bookshelf. Just a suggestion and those 596's are very nice so you know what a good speaker they make.
Yes.....I know that Canton make really good speakers.

The Chrono SL 596DC's I recently purchased are replace the Canton speakers I purchased in 1993 .

I am strongly considering purchasing the Vento 866.2 for my center speaker vs the Chrono SL 556.2.
cocrh likes this.

Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #972 of 988 Old 08-25-2019, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You won’t go wrong with the Vento 866.2 Center. It looks like it went up $100 since I bought one a few weeks ago.

Spoiler!
post #973 of 988 Old 09-10-2019, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, been an owner of a Vento 5.1 set up for about 9 years now and looking into upgrading to the 896.2's and matching center. I've always been curious about Monitor Audio and recently i've been looking at the previous gen Gold series, with the monster gxc350 and gx300 towers. Anyone have any comparison between the Ventos vs Gold or Canton vs Monitor Audio in general? Talking 95% home theater here and there plenty of reviews of Monitor Audio... one even saying they were point blank the best ht speakers he's heard and that to have a system substantially better would cost thousands more.

I felt the same about my set up but curiosity is getting the best of me.
post #974 of 988 Old 09-10-2019, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What Vento floor standers do you have? The main improvement Canton did vs. the older series was go from a metal dome tweeter to the ceramic, which is a good improvement. When talking mostly HT application the speaker dynamics are very important. My Ventos don’t disappoint in that area vs. the very dynamic, albeit too bright, Klipsch Reference they replaced. I was also very interested in the Monitor Audio products, I’m sure they wouldn’t disappoint either. Lots of choices out there and it sounds like you have a decent budget. Good luck.
songmeesay likes this.

Spoiler!
post #975 of 988 Old 09-10-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD1225 View Post
What Vento floor standers do you have? The main improvement Canton did vs. the older series was go from a metal dome tweeter to the ceramic, which is a good improvement. When talking mostly HT application the speaker dynamics are very important. My Ventos don’t disappoint in that area vs. the very dynamic, albeit too bright, Klipsch Reference they replaced. I was also very interested in the Monitor Audio products, I’m sure they wouldn’t disappoint either. Lots of choices out there and it sounds like you have a decent budget. Good luck.
I have the original 890DC's and an 855 center. They still sound fantastic to me and honestly I'm only looking to upgrade because the woofers are all dinged up from having a toddler and I like my stuff looking new. Almost 10 years with them so I'd think it's time to update anyway.

The GX300's I'm only finding available at 1 retailer brand new but still quite a chunk of change given the specific generation stopped being produced in 2015.
post #976 of 988 Old 09-11-2019, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by songmeesay View Post
I have the original 890DC's and an 855 center. They still sound fantastic to me and honestly I'm only looking to upgrade because the woofers are all dinged up from having a toddler and I like my stuff looking new. Almost 10 years with them so I'd think it's time to update anyway.

The GX300's I'm only finding available at 1 retailer brand new but still quite a chunk of change given the specific generation stopped being produced in 2015.
Hello, I think the Cantos Ventos are better for theather than Monitor Audio. The Monitor Audio Platinum are really nice sounding speakers, different from Cantos. If you like the Canton sound get the Canton Reference, sounds rich than Ventos and handle everything better.
What you using from Pre/amplifier on Ventos.
post #977 of 988 Old 09-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Right now I have a marantz 7005. Using 2 emotive upa-1 monoblocks for the towers and a xpa-3 for the center and surrounds.
post #978 of 988 Old 09-11-2019, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Right now I have a marantz 7005. Using 2 emotive upa-1 monoblocks for the towers and a xpa-3 for the center and surrounds.
For home theater Emotiva is not bad. I used to have Vento 809 with Emotica Pre/Amp monoblock 300watts and Canton Vento subwoofer and sell to my friend and he still have. For small rooms the Vento isn't great. I have Vento 807 and is better for small rooms and need less power, anyway I like the 807 more than 809. Accessories4less have a good selection of Canton. You have the Vento subwoofer to?
post #979 of 988 Old 09-12-2019, 03:10 AM

I currently have an older version of the svs pc2000 cylinder subwoofer. I love it but it looks like I have a water heater hanging out in the theater room. I cant seem to find the matching vento sub anywhere though. I bought my current center from accessories4less back in 2010 and they have a lot more selection now. Back then I imported my 890dc from stassenhifi in Germany because it only cost me 2400usd total where as I remember that was the price for just 1 from retailers stateside. I just wish they had the 896.2dc in black but talking to Mark he said they have to get rid of the 896dc stock first and even then was unsure if they were getting any black 896.2dc.

I read Monitor Audio is a more laid back/neutral sound but it's tough reading all the great reviews and then there's over 400 pages on the Monitor thread. This is the review that got me curious:

https://hometheaterreview.com/monito...kers-reviewed/

Before I got the 890 I auditioned the monitor audio rx6 and really liked it. I stumbled upon Canton on a Google image search of speakers and they looked beautiful. Read the very limited reviews and took a chance and don't regret it.
post #980 of 988 Old 09-12-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I currently have an older version of the svs pc2000 cylinder subwoofer. I love it but it looks like I have a water heater hanging out in the theater room. I cant seem to find the matching vento sub anywhere though. I bought my current center from accessories4less back in 2010 and they have a lot more selection now. Back then I imported my 890dc from stassenhifi in Germany because it only cost me 2400usd total where as I remember that was the price for just 1 from retailers stateside. I just wish they had the 896.2dc in black but talking to Mark he said they have to get rid of the 896dc stock first and even then was unsure if they were getting any black 896.2dc.

I read Monitor Audio is a more laid back/neutral sound but it's tough reading all the great reviews and then there's over 400 pages on the Monitor thread. This is the review that got me curious:

https://hometheaterreview.com/monito...kers-reviewed/

Before I got the 890 I auditioned the monitor audio rx6 and really liked it. I stumbled upon Canton on a Google image search of speakers and they looked beautiful. Read the very limited reviews and took a chance and don't regret it.
I bought my Vento 807 from Accessories4less after I have the Boston Acoustics VR3 and the bass on 807 wasn't great, I was using Pioneer Elite receiver, then I got the Emotiva Pre/Amp now was better but some cd sound harsh? Emotiva for movie is okay, for music is not, for my experience. Later I got the Vento 809 and then Reference 5 from stassenhifi to. Everything the Vento 809 maybe lack the Reference don't and sound rich? lush? I don't know the word. Maybe the Monitor Audio is better with Emotiva? Usually Canton, B&W, Sonus Faber is pretty good with mix tubes and solid for music. I have heard the Monitor Audio platinum PL300 have a lot the dispersion sound?maybe that the word? I heard the top of line Monitor Audio I think $30 large or more and was horrible the sound maybe was the room?I don't know?
When got the Canton Reference for the price you can get from Accessories4less is hard or impossible to beat in my opinion.
songmeesay likes this.
post #981 of 988 Old 09-12-2019, 10:48 AM

I agree with what you said. At first when I hooked up the 890's to the Marantz itself it was very harsh. The monoblocks seemed to calm them down quite a bit. I was really back and forth about getting the 5.2DC since they are running a special. Silly as this sounds... they look exactly like the previous gen and not as sleek and modern as the 896/896.2's and the new Reference K's with the silver rings around the woofers. I think in the 896.2's the drives also have a continuous surface also offering a cleaner look. Again, I know, silly since speakers are mainly about sound.

I appreciate all your feedback. I saw some Reference 5K on audiogon and even at that great deal I can't seem to spend that much.... Or i can just enjoy these for another few years and see if the K series comes to Accessories4less if I can get over the upgrade itch.

Last edited by songmeesay; 09-12-2019 at 11:08 AM.
post #982 of 988 Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Anybody have thoughts on the Ergo 80? I have a chance to buy a pair of white ones for $200. From what I hear about other models it seems like an ok price but I cant find anything on the internet specifically on the ergo 80. ergo 80 dc sure. ergo 72. ok. is that a bad sign?

I read somewhere there was a "bad" period of time for Canton.
post #983 of 988 Old 09-13-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylark View Post
Anybody have thoughts on the Ergo 80? I have a chance to buy a pair of white ones for $200. From what I hear about other models it seems like an ok price but I cant find anything on the internet specifically on the ergo 80. ergo 80 dc sure. ergo 72. ok. is that a bad sign?

I read somewhere there was a "bad" period of time for Canton.
They where made in the first half of the 1990'ies, and as German brand I'm not surprised that you have problems finding reviews of them on the Internet.

https://www.hifi-wiki.de/index.php/Canton_Ergo_80_DC
post #984 of 988 Old 09-13-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
They where made in the first half of the 1990'ies, and as German brand I'm not surprised that you have problems finding reviews of them on the Internet.
Thanks for posting that link to the ergo 80 dc. Notice that near the end there is a link to the ergo 80 (without the DC). I've seen at least one review from a guy that picked up a used 80 dc, but haven't found anything on the ergo 80. From that page it looks like it was an earlier model than the 80 dc. The dc has an extra crossover to filter out low frequencies, and I think it is bi-ampable, but wondering if anybody has actually heard the ergo 80.
post #985 of 988 Old 09-13-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting that link to the ergo 80 dc. Notice that near the end there is a link to the ergo 80 (without the DC). I've seen at least one review from a guy that picked up a used 80 dc, but haven't found anything on the ergo 80. From that page it looks like it was an earlier model than the 80 dc. The dc has an extra crossover to filter out low frequencies, and I think it is bi-ampable, but wondering if anybody has actually heard the ergo 80.
Yup, I copy/pasted the wrong link

Since the speaker is so old you'll probably have more luck getting some response on the Ergo 80 on a German hifi forum.
post #986 of 988 Old 09-13-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Yup, I copy/pasted the wrong link

Since the speaker is so old you'll probably have more luck getting some response on the Ergo 80 on a German hifi forum.
Well I'm tempted to buy it just for the rarity and to be the first (second I guess since it's used) in the states to listen to it.
post #987 of 988 Old 09-13-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Well I'm tempted to buy it just for the rarity and to be the first (second I guess since it's used) in the states to listen to it.
The specs seem basically identical except the ergo 80 is DM 1800 vs ergo 80 dc 1 200 DM / piece. Making them considerably more expensive. Also the DC has a cherry option and a higher max rating of 180 vs 160.
post #988 of 988 Old 10-03-2019, 11:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Some of you may remember I inquired about Canton speakers back in January. There were a number of used Cantons for sale at that time, but there hasn’t been many since then (at least none that interest me).

Now I find on ebay someone selling a pair of Karat 920 DC and Ergo 200 DC. Gary Dolson said great things about the 920 on this thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-sp...l#post23202465 ), but I can’t find anything on the 200.

It seems that new prices for Ergos are a bit more expensive than the Karats. But they appear to have the same tweeter. So I’m wondering, what advantage does the Ergo have over the Karat?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page