Canton owner's 'club' - Page 44 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 271Likes

post #1291 of 1335 Old 05-15-2020, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiF1 View Post
I want to rebuild my 16 yr old Klipsch 5.1 system even if I do pieces at a time as long as quality. I've decided to go bookshelf with 1 HSU VTF3-MK5 HP to start (2nd to follow) 20x18 room. Clarity and projection on vocals most important. Don't listen too loud a lot starting to love solo music listening too prob 70%-30% TV-Movies/music.

Have been looking at ceramic tweeters Vento 836.2 ($999), 830.2 ($849), or 826.2 6" ($749)or Chrono SL 537.2 7" ($699) for L/R.
Do you have an reccomendation based on size 6' or 7', chrono SL vento vs price?

Last question how do these compare pro's and con's vs KEF LS50? Just trying to weigh vs LS50 without being able to listen.

Thank You,
Dan

These are priced really well if piano white works for you.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...te-pair/1.html

The Vento reference 9.2 dc would be really nice for your the front left and right channels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 1335 Old 05-15-2020, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlamb77 View Post
So I just got in the 496.2's with a Denon S650H. Running them 2.0 stereo. Music was sounding great until I started to play classical music with piano. All mid and upper range piano is very distorted, sounding as if the speakers are busted. I thought maybe a driver was bad, but the distortion comes from both towers, and on both towers the distortion comes from the topmost driver and the tweeter.

The source right now is bluetooth through the Denon, so I played the same tracks on my bluetooth headphones and my bluetooth speaker, both producing no distortion at all.

Could this be the receiver? Wiring? Speakers? I'm going to contact A4L customer support but I wanted to check here as well to see if anyone has encountered this before.
I've noticed before that piano notes can sometimes sound "warbly" or perhaps distorted in some way. I suspect that piano may not be a very easy instrument to record well.
Can you remove bluetooth from the chain? bluetooth works goods until it does not.

I recently had a problem where one of my BT devices decided to down negotiate to an old BT version and steaming audio or MP3 sounded like a blown mid range or woofer. Oddly non compressed music from CD sound fine. Maybe the issue was only dramaticly bad if the source audio was lossy compressed (pandora)? Most BT versions use a lossy compression.

The only way I could fix the issue was pick up a new BT transmitter / receiver.
post #1293 of 1335 Old 05-15-2020, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 0
***Vento vs LS50 Differences Pros Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbus View Post
These are priced really well if piano white works for you.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...te-pair/1.html

Thank you for the link good price I could go white to save $150. Would like to get L/C/R 2 subs this week.

My last question (since hard to get out for live experiences) if anyone has experience with both is Vento's (836 830 826) compared to KEF LS50 differences/Pro Cons if I get 2 HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP subs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1294 of 1335 Old 05-15-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiF1 View Post
Thank you for the link good price I could go white to save $150. Would like to get L/C/R 2 subs this week.

My last question (since hard to get out for live experiences) if anyone has experience with both is Vento's (836 830 826) compared to KEF LS50 differences/Pro Cons if I get 2 HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP subs?

I bought a pair of the 826’s in black when they were in stock and use one as my center channel speaker along with the Vento 876 towers for the L & R and I’m using the Chrono 502.2 for rears.
Was a pretty cost effective way to do 5 channels. I do have an extra set of 502.2’s if I ever wanted to expand past 5.1

$1200 would get you two pairs of the white 826’s and that covers your L/C/R in matching speakers leaving you with a spare on hand.
Pick up a set of inexpensive rears and you’re all set.
post #1295 of 1335 Old 05-16-2020, 04:51 PM

Seems I’ve gone and renewed my subscription to the Canton owners club with a fresh new set of the Ref 9.2 DC stand mounts.

My second ULS-15 should be up and running by the time the new Canton’s show up.

I’ll update with pictures when they arrive.
RickD1225, Boombox13 and cocrh like this.
post #1296 of 1335 Old 05-18-2020, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Canton Chrono 513 or S55 Polk

Hi Canton club,

let me introduce myself... I just spent almost 20 hours researching on the web and AVS to find out my perfect fit for front speakers during weekend. And you guys come across that you may know something about Canton speakers, so if I may ask you simple question

For Video 70%, Music 30% with future upgrades like matching center, SVS PB-1000. What would you prefer if you would have two good deals for Polk Audio Signature S55 (410 Euro pair) and Canton Chrono 513 (273 Euro pair, but future stands is a must). Chrono would help me save faster for SVS after buying stands. btw I already have Denon AVR X3500H.

There is so much little information about Canton that I have to approach to you directly

Your help will be greatly appreciate it
post #1297 of 1335 Old 05-18-2020, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3812 Post(s)
Liked: 3272
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCrew View Post
Hi Canton club,

let me introduce myself... I just spent almost 20 hours researching on the web and AVS to find out my perfect fit for front speakers during weekend. And you guys come across that you may know something about Canton speakers, so if I may ask you simple question

For Video 70%, Music 30% with future upgrades like matching center, SVS PB-1000. What would you prefer if you would have two good deals for Polk Audio Signature S55 (410 Euro pair) and Canton Chrono 513 (273 Euro pair, but future stands is a must). Chrono would help me save faster for SVS after buying stands. btw I already have Denon AVR X3500H.

There is so much little information about Canton that I have to approach to you directly

I'd take the Chrono over the Polks in a heartbeat. Better imaging, clarity and overall sound quality. Your 30% music is likely to increase with good speakers and subs. Stepping to the Vento series would be worth it if budget permits.
gbus likes this.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, Kef Kube 10B (X2) , Denon AVR-X3400H, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: Kef Q100 ,JBL Loft 20, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #1298 of 1335 Old 05-18-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCrew View Post
Hi Canton club,

I’d definitely give the 513’s a shot. I used 3 Chrono 502.2 as L/C/R speakers in a small HT setup for a little while and had no complaints, I’m sure the larger 513’s would have been even better.
I’ve since moved one pair to rear surround duty and using the second set for music.

Find a buddy and talk him into putting together the same HT speaker setup and then go in on an extra set of 513’s and split them between you for a matching center channel speaker on the cheap.
DarkCrew likes this.
post #1299 of 1335 Old 05-19-2020, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pase22 View Post
I'd take the Chrono over the Polks in a heartbeat. Better imaging, clarity and overall sound quality. Your 30% music is likely to increase with good speakers and subs. Stepping to the Vento series would be worth it if budget permits.

Thank you, 513 ordered. There is a small window for possible return, if I do not like it.

Unfortunately Vento would push future purchase of SVS even further and beyond
cocrh likes this.
post #1300 of 1335 Old 05-19-2020, 09:41 AM

Vento AR-800 Atmos speaker - does anyone have these? and if so do they present a realalistic front height channel?

I have read mixed reviews of bouncing sound off a ceiling for a height channel and don’t want to spend $$ for poor results.
post #1301 of 1335 Old 05-19-2020, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzz View Post
Can you remove bluetooth from the chain? bluetooth works goods until it does not.

I recently had a problem where one of my BT devices decided to down negotiate to an old BT version and steaming audio or MP3 sounded like a blown mid range or woofer. Oddly non compressed music from CD sound fine. Maybe the issue was only dramaticly bad if the source audio was lossy compressed (pandora)? Most BT versions use a lossy compression.

The only way I could fix the issue was pick up a new BT transmitter / receiver.
Yep once I finally got my TV in, I set up HEOS and Spotify Connect. I can switch b/t BT and Wifi, and the Wifi has less distortion, but still quite present and makes much classical music unlistenable. A clue I'm sure, but I really don't know anything about speakers and receivers.

Also, I swear I'm not crazy, but I can switch between the Denon's "Eco" mode on and off, and I get more distortion when it's on. I'm starting to think it's the receiver that's causing this disortion.
post #1302 of 1335 Old 05-19-2020, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Yep once I finally got my TV in, I set up HEOS and Spotify Connect. I can switch b/t BT and Wifi, and the Wifi has less distortion, but still quite present and makes much classical music unlistenable. A clue I'm sure, but I really don't know anything about speakers and receivers.

Also, I swear I'm not crazy, but I can switch between the Denon's "Eco" mode on and off, and I get more distortion when it's on. I'm starting to think it's the receiver that's causing this disortion.
Could you maybe get an open box receiver at a local best buy to try and see if it is your receiver? Or borrow one from a friend ?
post #1303 of 1335 Old 05-20-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Quote:

Could you maybe get an open box receiver at a local best buy to try and see if it is your receiver? Or borrow one from a friend ?
I read the specs from your Denon and are it’s 150W per channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10%, 1 channel driven).

someone with more experience than me need to comment on the THD 10% @ 1 khz, to me this does not look good? You may also want to cross post in the Denon group and see if anyone else is having the same problem.
post #1304 of 1335 Old 05-20-2020, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 2805
That power spec is The max power in an over driven situation at 10%. Normal power is 2 channels driven to only 0.08% THD is 75watts for that unit.

Spoiler!
post #1305 of 1335 Old 05-21-2020, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocrh View Post
Also, you can order one from Crutchfield....try for 60 days and send back for $10.00.
post #1306 of 1335 Old 05-21-2020, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Loving these Chrono 509.2’s!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cocrh likes this.

Denon X4300H * Def Tech BP8080st front L/R * Def Tech CLR2002 center * Def Tech ProMonitor 800 surrounds (x4) * Hsu VTF-3 MK5 HP sub * Outlaw OAW4 wireless sub kit * Vizio 60" 4K HDRtv * Sony UBP-X800 Bluray * PS4 * AC Infinity S9 AVR fan
post #1307 of 1335 Old 05-21-2020, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconsfan71 View Post
Loving these Chrono 509.2’s!!!

https://youtu.be/v9xux8dBdWk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I cannot imagine anyone not loving them.

What electronics are you using?
post #1308 of 1335 Old 05-22-2020, 12:20 PM

The new 9.2’s arrived today and were quickly tossed on some stands for a little demo time.

First thing, these are some pretty massive stand mounts in both size and weight. Thankfully each speaker ships in it’s own separate box, which makes the speakers way more manageable then if they were packed together as all my previous Canton bookshelf speakers were.
The 9.2’s speaker cabinets dwarf those of my Focal 906’s in both width and depth, though both are close in height.
Canton is so serious with this monster they not only have threaded mounting holes for stand mounting but also have inserts installed for spikes which are included for those who might actually place them on a bookshelf or some such.

As for the sound signature, as I’d hoped and expected it’s just more of that Canton Vento signature sound but with a bigger fuller feel to it. That could have more to do with the fact that the speakers now have dual HSU ULS-15’s backing them up.
I will at some point in the future turn off the subs and bass management along with working out best speaker placement where I’ll have just the one pair set up at a time and have a good listen to them and see if I get that same feeling.

RickD1225 and cocrh like this.
post #1309 of 1335 Old 05-22-2020, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As for the sound signature, as I’d hoped and expected it’s just more of that Canton Vento signature sound but with a bigger fuller feel to it. That could have more to do with the fact that the speakers now have dual HSU ULS-15’s backing them up.
As a current Canton owner (you being one too), I would have had no doubt that they would sound great.
gbus likes this.
post #1310 of 1335 Old 05-22-2020, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 0
*** 9.2, Vento, R3 Bookshelves

[QUOTE=gbus;59691542]The new 9.2’s arrived today and were quickly tossed on some stands for a little demo time.

I will at some point in the future turn off the subs and bass management along with working out best speaker placement where I’ll have just the one pair set up at a time and have a good listen to them and see if I get that same feeling.
-----------
Hello congratulations on new setup. I am looking at same thing just can't get an idea of 9.2 sound except for you tube with headphones. I and doing same 2 HSU ULS-15. I do about 60/40 HT but more music lately. Any feedback early on? Looking at 9.2, Vento 836.2 or KEF R3 but can't get a real life sound comparison unless I order A4L and then return one of them.

Thank You,
Dan
post #1311 of 1335 Old 05-22-2020, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozzz View Post
Vento AR-800 Atmos speaker - does anyone have these? and if so do they present a realalistic front height channel?

I have read mixed reviews of bouncing sound off a ceiling for a height channel and don’t want to spend $$ for poor results.
I am also looking at these as well. There are no reviews for them that I can find. If someone does have them, can you please give an honest opinion on them. They are not cheap, so they better perform well.
Thanks
post #1312 of 1335 Old 05-23-2020, 07:19 AM

Canton owner's 'club'

[quote=LuigiF1;59693518]
Quote:
The new 9.2’s arrived today and were quickly tossed on some stands for a little demo time.

-----------
Hello congratulations on new setup. I am looking at same thing just can't get an idea of 9.2 sound except for you tube with headphones. I and doing same 2 HSU ULS-15. I do about 60/40 HT but more music lately. Any feedback early on? Looking at 9.2, Vento 836.2 or KEF R3 but can't get a real life sound comparison unless I order A4L and then return one of them.

Thank You,
Dan

Right off I’ll tell you I’ve not heard any KEF’s in person only online as you’ve been doing with the Cantons so can’t really offer any insight on those.
I can say my entry into the Canton realm was similar to yours in that I had no way to audition any of the speakers locally, so I bought in with a pair of sale priced Chrono 502.2 bookshelf speakers to get my feet wet.
I liked those speakers so much, and at under $300 I picked up a second pair and used them as my L/C/R speakers in a small 3.1 HT setup.
That positive experience gave me the courage to try a more expensive pair from the Vento line, where I picked up a set of 820’s for a small 2.0 dresser system which turned out to play absolutely stunningly and has now led me to owning six pair of Cantons.
That HT setup is currently 876 towers and an 826 BS speaker as the center completing my L/C/R, along with the original 502.2 speakers pulling surround duty.
The other pair of 502.2’s are in a small 2.0 setup in my loft.

It’s still early on but these new Canton 9.2’s could very well displace my Focal Aria 906’s from main stage in my current 2.2 setup. The ULS-15 has been fantastic and I’m glad I gave one a try and now two after the less then stellar results I’d gotten with the single 10” Velodyne I started with.

I can’t tell you how the 836.2 and 9.2 compare or if the 9.2’s higher price is justified or necessary for your application but for me it was a speaker I was comparing when I bought my Focal 906’s but at the time had never heard a Canton speaker and was unwilling to take that big of a risk. And yet here we are now.

RickD1225 likes this.

Last edited by gbus; 05-23-2020 at 09:39 AM.
post #1313 of 1335 Old 05-23-2020, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello Canton owners.
I wish not being an owner, and just asking a question is not upsetting anyone here.

So, I was looking at different speakers at accessories4less, and realized the lower response frequency for almost all of Canton speakers are noticeably lower than other brands. For example Chrono bookshelfs go down to 30 Hz, or some towers go down to 20's. Is this because Canton lists the frequency different than -3db or -6dB, or what? Can anyone shed a light on this?
post #1314 of 1335 Old 05-23-2020, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagondeh View Post
Hello Canton owners.
I wish not being an owner, and just asking a question is not upsetting anyone here.

So, I was looking at different speakers at accessories4less, and realized the lower response frequency for almost all of Canton speakers are noticeably lower than other brands. For example Chrono bookshelfs go down to 30 Hz, or some towers go down to 20's. Is this because Canton lists the frequency different than -3db or -6dB, or what? Can anyone shed a light on this?
Yes, Canton's low frequency rating must be at -6dB or -10dB. There's no way those speakers can go as low as they claim at -3dB.
vavan likes this.

FAMILY ROOM--Legacy Signature II towers(Front L/R), PSB Image 5T towers(Surrounds), Polk LSiM706 center, Denon AVR-X5200W, Krell FPB 400cx, AR ES-1 turntable w/ Audioquest 404-B cartridge, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-ray Player, RCA HD-DVD player, Sony 75" 900E.
MASTER BEDROOM--Dynaudio Audience 82 tower speakers, Outlaw LFM-1 sub, Onkyo TX-NR809, Oppo BDP-83 Universal Disc Player, Panasonic 60-ST60 plasma TV.
post #1315 of 1335 Old 05-23-2020, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hello Canton owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post
Yes, Canton's low frequency rating must be at -6dB or -10dB. There's no way those speakers can go as low as they claim at -3dB.
Good question, and I agree with mtrot.

However, you can also send an email to Canton customer service regarding your inquiry.

Please share their response.

59" Samsung Series 7000 Plasma TV Samsung BD-D5500 Blu-ray player
Onkyo TX-NR609 AV Receiver
Canton TBD (Center) Canton Chrono SL 596 DC (L & R)
JBL SP6CII (Frt Height & RR Surround)
Martin Logan Dynamo 1000
post #1316 of 1335 Old 05-23-2020, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Hello Canton owners.

I asked the same question a while back as I was considering bookshelves that went down to the mid 30s or less. I believe someone did respond that those specs on Accessories 4less may not be accurate for the Cantons in regard to 30Hz or less.

I think I'm leaning towards a sealed sub or two so I dont take the performance from the tweeter and mid range. I could be wrong, but I thought I heard taxing a bookshelve for low bass could impact other areas of performance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

[I]Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Sony UBP x800 - PS3 - oppo 103 Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference - DT BP 30s- 10s - citation 5.1
Speakers and Sub : Kef Model reference 1 - DT CLR 2000 - DT UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - DT BPX Rears - JTR Captivator 118HT
post #1317 of 1335 Old 05-23-2020, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boombox13 View Post
Yes 30 day trial.....but you are responsible for ALL shipping costs (both ways).

The KEF Q100's are really good speakers.
I have the Q100s and they are pretty good for what they are. I'm on the 1st week with the Elac debut reference DBR62 and they are on a different level imo. The bass and midrange for instance is superior and they have a warmer signature. They also dont seem to run out of steam like the Q100s in regard to power handling.

[I]Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Sony UBP x800 - PS3 - oppo 103 Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference - DT BP 30s- 10s - citation 5.1
Speakers and Sub : Kef Model reference 1 - DT CLR 2000 - DT UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - DT BPX Rears - JTR Captivator 118HT
post #1318 of 1335 Old 05-23-2020, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Hello Canton owners.

Here is something someone quoted me back on Feb 18th of this year. Check post #1113 and you should find some more information.

Here is the quote.

I've found Canton's published frequency response specs... "optimistic" if I'm being polite about it. My Chrono 502.2 which have a single 6" woofer are listed to 33Hz and there's no way. I've been listening to them for 4 months without a sub and while they have great bass for something roughly the volume of a shoebox but I'm not sure where Canton pulled that number from. It must be -10dB or something equally ridiculous.

vavan likes this.

post #1319 of 1335 Old 05-24-2020, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I've been playing with rew sweeps on my speakers last weekend. I'm only starting out with it, but as far as I can tell, my vento reference 7 dc are somewhere around -6db at the 22hz canton rates them at.
post #1320 of 1335 Old 05-24-2020, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeychote View Post
I've been playing with rew sweeps on my speakers last weekend. I'm only starting out with it, but as far as I can tell, my vento reference 7 dc are somewhere around -6db at the 22hz canton rates them at.
If those numbers are -6dB, it's still pretty good. My guess was -10dB or so...
I actually emailed them asking for clarification as I am interested in some models. Let's see if they answer.
mtrot and vavan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Tags
Canton , Canton Center Channel Speaker , Canton Chrono 505 2 Speaker , Canton Chrono 507 2 Standing Speaker , Canton Gle 490 2 Speaker Single Silver , Canton Ls 105 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 80 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Black , Canton Ls 90 1 Stand Pair Silver , Canton Ls 95 Stand Pair Silver , chrono sl-536.2

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page