Looking For Other Sony SS k90ed Owners - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #31 of 44 Old 09-22-2019, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just bought a set of these on the weekend for $430aud. They are pretty decent speakers! I have them bi-wired and running off a Yamaha RXV850 amp, and CD through an old Yamaha CDC697. This is my very first "system", if you will, as I've only just started my journey down the rabbit hole of home audio. There is also a Technics SH-GE70 included, but currently just using it for pretty lights and not leaning on it to prop the system up.

The bass seems quite clean from the Sony's. With all of the extras off (bass extension and tone bypass) they still have a really lovely sound, but with the extras on, you can really get some lovely deep bass out of them. My test CD is Walking Wounded by Everything But The Girl which is drum and bass with smooth vocals and lots of electronic sounds over the top. I've had this CD on every single fathomable thing I could stick a CD on and this is where it sounds the best. I have heard things on the CD through this system that I haven't heard on other systems, and I have been flogging this CD since 1996 so I know it veeeeeery well. I would have to say that the Sony's complete the sound of the album. It seems to put it all together as it should sound and it has given me a new found appreciation of the album.

All in all I am very impressed by the sound of these speakers. For my ears, it is pretty much spot on and they are an absolute bargain if you can pick a set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 Old 10-09-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Red face Still working on it.

My how time flies or as the saying goes "Life is what happens while you're making plans.". I'm not done modding my SS-K90's yet but I'm in the home stretch. Some people like them, some are like meh. They seemed a little bass shy, the mids a little too prominent and the treble harsh. Examining the x-o, why in the name of all that's oiled walnut did Sony do this to a speaker? There is an overlap from 150Hz to 550Hz where the woofers and mids cover the same frequencies. The mids are choked off at 1250Hz and the tweeters don't come in until 4000Hz and are padded down about 5db. If I saw a frequency plot of these I'm betting it would be ugly!
Sooo, the crossover gets reworked. New x-o points, woofer-to-mid at 500Hz, mid -to-tweeter at 4000Hz. Like stock, first order on the woofers & mids-third order HP on the tweeter. The stock hard dome tweeter gets swapped out but I'll reveal with what later.

A few things changed and moved.
post #33 of 44 Old 10-10-2019, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagMan View Post
My how time flies or as the saying goes "Life is what happens while you're making plans.". I'm not done modding my SS-K90's yet but I'm in the home stretch.
Thanks for keeping us updated. I have a pair of each of the SS-K range (as well as 3 CN-K10EDs) and like the sound of the SS-K30s the best. They don't go deep enough but they image far better than any of the others. I use a home-made 10" subwoofer with them in my primary stereo music system.
It would be nice to have the SS-K90s perform as well as the 30s do (but with the deeper bass they're capable of). For now I hardly use them so am watching your journey intently.

Hear the source material - Not the equipment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 44 Old 10-11-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demidemon View Post
I have a pair of each of the SS-K range (as well as 3 CN-K10EDs) and like the sound of the SS-K30s the best. They don't go deep enough but they image far better than any of the others.
It would be nice to have the SS-K90s perform as well as the 30s do (but with the deeper bass they're capable of)
The edge the SS-K30's have is that they are a simpler 2-way design. They don't have that overlapping low midrange-upper bass like the SS-K90's, which is very important.
post #35 of 44 Old 10-11-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
The edge the SS-K30's have is that they are a simpler 2-way design. They don't have that overlapping low midrange-upper bass like the SS-K90's, which is very important.
Exactly - which is why I'm following your progress on improving the 90s with great interest. As I mentioned I have the 70s too and assume that any mods for the 90s will also improve the 70s?
I'd seen SeventhHeavens previous posts but didn't want to cut bigger ports in the 90s too soon as, if I don't hear improvements from electrical mods I can always put them back to standard and sell them. (I'm relatively poor since I did my back in.) It's hard to do that if I've cut a big hole in the front. I thought maybe the 70s could be modded without the need for a bigger port as they only have a single woofer but I do want the extra bass extension that the 90s are capable of...
Cheers,

post #36 of 44 Old 10-12-2019, 05:25 PM

Thumbs up The results

Hi Demidemon, don't cut those ports! I ran some numbers in a box program and a 4" diameter 6" long port isn't needed. Worse yet it will tune the woofer enclosure too high and you'll loose some deep bass. Honestly I never heard any cuffing noises from the stock port but I put in a 2.5", 6" long port mainly for looks

Now for the good stuff. The first speaker is done and WOW, what an improvement!
For the mid, out came the 150uF cap. In it's place, two poly caps equaling 45uF. Out came the 1mH inductor replaced by a 0.30mH air core coil & the Zobel network stayed in the circuit.
For the woofer, a 2.56mH inductor in place of the stock 2.2mH one.
For the tweeter, stock value Audyn Q4 caps replaced the originals and I removed the stock resistor.

I also replaced the tweeters. I used pair of Infinity Polycell tweeters I happened to have. They fit, match the SPL level and are 8-ohms but I did have to drill new mounting holes. To me the originals just sounded harsh, not very detailed and what sounded like a big peak around 5000Hz.
The mids sound much better now that the midrange speaker is the only one covering those frequencies. Much more detail and presence as well now that the mid was playing up to 4000Hz and matching up with the tweeter. The mids are more balance across the range with the driver no longer playing the same frequencies as the woofers and playing up to the tweeter X-O point instead of beginning to roll off at 1250Hz. The bass is now cleaner and tighter now that woofers don't overlap with the midrange. I've only worked on one speaker so I could compare it to an unchanged one. It's clearly better and sounds like a much more expensive speaker now. Now to get started on the other one, but first...
Demidemon likes this.

Last edited by MagMan; 10-12-2019 at 06:09 PM.
post #37 of 44 Old 10-12-2019, 06:06 PM

This pics

Since the stock crossover board wouldn't fit all the new parts so a solution was needed.

The woofer inductor was mounted separately.

The original X-O board re-installed minus a few things.

The caps for the mid, now located in the upper section of the enclosure and some damping material added to the upper enclosure walls. The black you see in there is from some paint added to the walls to help the pads stick.
Demidemon likes this.

Last edited by MagMan; 10-12-2019 at 06:19 PM.
post #38 of 44 Old 10-12-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Since the stock crossover board wouldn't fit all the new parts so a solution was needed.

The woofer inductor was mounted separately.

The original X-O board re-installed minus a few things.

The caps for the mid, now located in the upper section of the enclosure and some damping material added to the upper enclosure walls. The black you see in there is from some paint added to the walls to help the pads stick.
I added a bracing dowel for good measure

and the tweeter upgrade
Demidemon likes this.
post #39 of 44 Old 02-13-2020, 02:05 PM

Hi all, a quarterly (sorta') update on these. While I really like the sound with the X-O upgrade they're still bass shy. Playing some test tones on these I saw that the dual woofers were playing at a lot lower in level than the mids! On the order of around 10 db or less. No wonder that even backed up to a wall and the bass turned all the way up the bass still sounded weak. I'm just curious why Sony designed them this way? If you're bi-amping you can easily compensate for this if your amps have level controls. There are a few other ways to deal with this. One, replace the mids with ones of lower SPL level. Two, replace the woofers with ones of a higher efficiency or three, pad down the present midranges. I'll have to play around with a few things to decide which way I'll go.
Later
Demidemon likes this.
post #40 of 44 Old 02-13-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Hi all, a quarterly (sorta') update on these. While I really like the sound with the X-O upgrade they're still bass shy. Playing some test tones on these I saw that the dual woofers were playing at a lot lower in level than the mids! On the order of around 10 db or less. No wonder that even backed up to a wall and the bass turned all the way up the bass still sounded weak. I'm just curious why Sony designed them this way? If you're bi-amping you can easily compensate for this if your amps have level controls. There are a few other ways to deal with this. One, replace the mids with ones of lower SPL level. Two, replace the woofers with ones of a higher efficiency or three, pad down the present midranges. I'll have to play around with a few things to decide which way I'll go.
Later
Thanks for sharing all of your findings MagMan. I for one very much appreciate it.

post #41 of 44 Old 02-14-2020, 09:31 AM

You're welcome Demidemon. I haven't put the meter on it but I hooked up the woofers to one channel of the amp and the HF section to the other channel and ran a mono signal to the speakers. With the balance control way over to the side connected to the woofers the speaker sounded a lot more balanced. A simple solution would be a pair of high sensitivity 6 1/2" 16-ohm woofers with good bass.
Demidemon likes this.

Last edited by MagMan; 02-22-2020 at 05:18 PM.
post #42 of 44 Old 02-22-2020, 05:33 PM

Red face Alas, pure Sony no more.

Looking to increase the low frequency output of my SS-K90's. I'm also doing a little tweaking on my "I know better than Sony" crossover mods.

Demidemon likes this.
post #43 of 44 Old 02-22-2020, 05:48 PM

Interesting. Peerless 4 ohm drivers huh? I guess you're going to run them in series? What did they cost? I hope that they bring the desired results, please keep us posted.

post #44 of 44 Old 02-23-2020, 10:41 AM

Cool

Yes, they're connected in series. I got them from Parts Express when they were on sale for $39 ea. My goal is to raise the speakers to an "ES" grade Peerless makes some pretty good drivers so I thought I'd give these a try. Already I can tell they have a higher SPL than the Sony woofers. Definitely more bass oomph but I'll have to adjust the X-O to see how well they blend.
Demidemon likes this.

Last edited by MagMan; 02-23-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page