Looking For Other Sony SS k90ed Owners - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #1 of 41 Old 02-19-2007, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought these speakers about four years ago and absolutely love them. Just seeing if anyone out there owns a pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 02-20-2007, 12:47 AM

I have them as well. I already had the SS-K30ED (bookshelf model) and was so impressed that I had to find the K90's to hear if this tower was as good as rumored. I use them for home theater but they are musical too. There is also a SS-K70ED floor model, with one less woofer than the K90.

Kind of goes against the common perception that Sony speakers are no good. Every once in a while, Sony gets it right with speakers, and these are some of those. The SS-M7 and the SS-M9, although not very efficient, are also supposed to be very good, (actually much better than the K90's) but I cannot confirm this since I haven't had the opportunity to audition them.

David
post #3 of 41 Old 02-20-2007, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

So, from what I've gathered there was a small run on these. Any idea as to where to find replacement parts, i.e. new grilles, spike discs, etc. I have a small tear in one of my grilles and would like to replace it. I think though I may be SOL on that.

I love the speakers though, they sound fantastic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 02-21-2007, 01:04 AM

For parts, you can try:

http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/web/partsResearch.do

and give as much detail as you can about the part you are looking for. But don't hold your breath - I was looking for spikes and spike pads (for wood floors) and after about 1 week, they responded. They actually had them in stock, but the prices (each) were astronomical! One spike pad was $24.95!

The person I bought my K90's from said that for replacement grill cloth, he took the frames (not my K90's - some other speaker) to an upholstery shop and they were able to attach new fabric. You might try this if Sony does not have grills in stock or their prices are ridiculous. If you email them, let me know if Sony has the grills and how much they want for them.

David
post #5 of 41 Old 06-09-2007, 10:28 AM

Ive got a pair of these Im trying to sell. Anyone know a good place to put them up other than fleabay?
post #6 of 41 Old 07-04-2007, 03:50 PM

The number I have is 888-476-6972 - Kansas City - Sony Parts (under that I wrote 800-488-7669 - Kansas City ?)

I have an exploded parts diagram for the SS-K90ED.

hope that helps.

dafeist, I sent you a PM. Contact me via email. I might be interested in your speakers.
LL
post #7 of 41 Old 12-19-2007, 02:13 PM

Thread resurrection! I didn't think there would be anyone else with these. I have the K90s as well and have really been impressed by them. I'm not surprised that most people thumb their nose at them since Sony has put out some horrendous speakers but these are actually very versatile speakers...doing well with all styles of music I've thrown at them as well as HT. I am passively looking for something new just to keep life interesting and may have to downsize in the future but am hoping to hold on to these...

Here are a few pics:

post #8 of 41 Old 01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
Hello, I am new to the forum but just joined after reading all of the buzz the SSKs have been generating on this site. I have some awesome historical information on these units and will be posting pics asap. For the record, I am the owner of the following:

SS-K90ED (fronts)
SS-K30ED (surrbacks)
SS-CNK10ED (center)

More info to follow!
post #9 of 41 Old 04-07-2009, 04:21 AM

I'd be interested in your followup esp. the historical info.
post #10 of 41 Old 05-21-2009, 10:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 413
I heard about cult following these have, and I recently bought a used pair of SS-K30EDs and a SS-CNK10ED to see what the fuss was about and they are totally, I mean TOTALLY awesome. I'm absolutely floored...the highs these produce are heavenly...really smooth and stunningly revealing and life like. Completely fatigue free also...I've listened to music on them nearly all day at very high volumes and my ears never tired in the slightest. It was magical. The bass is quite excellent also.

I'm really sorry I missed out on these. They absolutely blow away the Polk RTi A series as well as the Klipsch B and other series I've heard. Apparently these flopped in the market place because no one thought Sony could make high quality speakers. They also supposedly take like 200+ hours to break in and don't sound very good at first, which may have perhaps even prompted several returns from dissatisfaction.

I'm now on the hunt for a pair of SS-K90ED or SS-K70EDs to complete the set.
post #11 of 41 Old 05-30-2009, 01:40 AM

I just have the Sony SS-CNK10ED center, was running it with polk mains. Im getting ready to sell it now bought a polk center to match my mains. the sony center was a good speaker though.
post #12 of 41 Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 413
What Polks do you have?
post #13 of 41 Old 10-18-2010, 01:01 PM

I actually own a pair of SS-K70ed's and love them. I bought them 4+ years ago for $60 from a friend. I initially planned on unloading them for some extra $$$ until i listened to them. Wow, they sounded great. The only Sony speakers I own (Sony speakers are pretty much all crap IMO). I want to use them with my home theater setup now (used for music only up to now) but need to find a good center speaker match. Anyone have any ideas for an appropriate center? or have a SS-CNK10ED you wanna unload at a good price?
post #14 of 41 Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 PM

I'm running the K90ED's with the JBL EC35 Center with a Fosgate 12" Sub and Fosgate SD90 Dipoles for surround. The Center matches good with the Sony's. If you can find one you shouldn't be disappointed. Fosgates you can't find anymore, I got the ones I own when Fosgate was the THX certified leader many years ago, JBL bought them out. http://www.jemsite.com/av/sd90/sd90.htm

Also the Boston Acoustics VR12 sounds good with them...
post #15 of 41 Old 01-10-2011, 11:32 AM

Hello All

I have been given a pair of the K90ED's to sell, I am really not much of a fan of sony speakers but these really are pretty nice. I am in the Phoenix AZ area if anyone is interested $175.00 for the pair.

I hooked them up to my Denon 5803 and they do a damn good job.

Thanks

Nick
post #16 of 41 Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 AM

G'day folks

Was googling SSK90EDs and found this thread, and thought I'd jump in.

I hate to spoil the Sony love, but I actually found the sound to be a little dissapointing. The mids and highs are smooth and sweet, but the mid bass and below is quite indistinct - rather muddy and lacking in definition.

Now don't get me wrong - I dislike boom boxes with tuned bass humps as much as the next audiophile - but these just lack the crispness I've heard from other floor standers.

(my current favourites are Spirit Absolute 2 bookshelves - English made and just beautiful, non-fatigueing sound).

Unfortunately good quality audio gear is quite expensive down under. I was thinking of replacing the drivers with some better ones from Parts Express.

Does anyone happen to know what the internal volume of the cabinets are? I don't particularly want to fill it with water to find out...

Or if there are SSK90ED fans in Sydney, I'd be happy to sell these so I can afford to build my own...
post #17 of 41 Old 08-13-2011, 08:54 AM

I have:
2 x SS-K90ED
2 x SS-K30ED
1 x SS-CNKED

Any one have an idea of what a fair price for the set would be? What would be the best way to sell them?

Thank you.
post #18 of 41 Old 12-31-2011, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a pair of SS-K70ED speakers. I'm trying to find the ideal crossover frequency for them and the ideal equalizer adjustments. Currently, I have my AVR crossover frequency for the pair set at 60Hz and the equalizer turned up 2dB at the 63Hz level.

Does anyone know at which point the response begins tampering off -3dB and/or -2dB?

Thanks
post #19 of 41 Old 12-31-2012, 09:51 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMF View Post

I bought these speakers about four years ago and absolutely love them. Just seeing if anyone out there owns a pair.

I own the Martin logan electro motions - Also some Pioneer FS51 - Runing on Asus Essence ST sound card - Marrantz recevier with preamp - and Qsc rmx 1450 wich is an amazing amp plus 2 subwoofers . I Just got these sonys today . I tested vs the Logans and the $100 Pioneers - wich are excelent for the price.

I placed the K30ed on my bed and started testing

It sounded very good actually in comparison , crisp highs stronger vocals than the logans
but ofcourse when you turn up the Logan ESL they sound like Big speakers with Big Power and super detailed sounds
- I was really impressed by the sony's though really impressed
So now I place the K90ED and compare it to my $100 pioneer and the Pioneer actually sounds 5x better , its like a day and night difference.
I didnt understand bc I had really liked the K30Ed against the logan I just figued that the k30ed woudl sound the same or worst the the k90 -Turns out that the K30ed sounds way better than the K90

I belive that the crossovers on the K90Ed makes it sound way to harsh and not smooth like in the K30ED.Turst me if you own these speakers compare them side by side.
I was testing the intros of " Miranda crossgrove Kissing you .FLAC" and " You belong with me .Flac " excelent sounding intros

If you have the K70 or K90 you probably know how strong this tweeter can get , I am about to do more research to see if I can make my
K90 sound like my K130Ed wich sounds better than the pioneer . I bought these bc I wanted to use them as my car speakers but now im liking them to much
and they actually bring more life to my Martin logans.
post #20 of 41 Old 05-17-2015, 05:56 PM

Liked: 0
Guys, I know this is an old thread, but I actually received 1 - SS-X70ED and 1 - SS-X30ED for Christmas this year brand new in the box. They were my mother in law ex husband. He was a Sony rep and had them as a sample but never opened them. My mother in law got them in the divorce and still never opened them.
She thought they were a set when she gave them to me for Christmas. Are they still a collector's item? Does anyone want to buy them? I am in Michigan.

Let me know thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled picture.png
Views:	267
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	722826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled picture1.png
Views:	967
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	722834  
post #21 of 41 Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but a pair of SS-X70ED and the matching center popped up on CL about an hour north of me. Should I go audition them? The guy is asking $380 firm for all three. These will be replacing B&W VM1's.....
post #22 of 41 Old 09-11-2015, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a pair of the ss-k90ed speakers. I also had 6 of the ss-k10ed speakers and the center channel SS-CNK10ed that goes with these.
The Center channel and the 10ed speaker have the same crossover. The Center channel has two 16 ohm midrange drivers were as the 10ed speaker has one 8 ohm driver.
The Center channel and the 10ed tweeters are different from the 90ed and 30ed. The 90ed and 30ed have the same exact tweeter. The smaller tweeter in the Center channel and 10ed uses a very small neo magnet and the voice coil measure at 6 ohms rather than 8 ohms for the 90ed and 30ed. The Center channel and 10ed speakers lack clarity due to this difference. I also want to point out that the 90ed has a very crucial attenuation resistor before the crossover circuit where as the other models have an Lpad which is after the crossover circuit. This makes the 90ed sound allot better than any of this series.

These speakers all come packed with foam inside there enclosures. The foam inside takes up way too much airspace, thus takes away allot of the possibility of these speakers. Some would argue that the foam will dampen the sound, but Sony put way too much and the foam is too dense. Take the foam out and replace it with pillow stuffing/ You dont need much. The lower bass drivers dont need any. The midrange section does need some damping or you will get a small echo from the sound bouncing off the inner walls of the enclosure.

The port in the 90ed is small at 2 inches in diameter and very short at around 4 inches. This is not enough. You will get wind noise or also called chuffing noise when listening to bass heavy music and movies. I recommend a modification. Cut out the port and put in a 4inch diameter port of at least 6 inches. This drastically eliminates the chuffing and actually lets the bass sound way better. Ive tried other port sizes but this is best.

The crossover in these are fairly decent due to Sony using almost all polypropelene caps! You can swap out these caps with whatever brand or type you choose. I have replaced the polypropylene caps with Russian K73-16 caps strictly on the tweeters due to there signature sound. Ive managed to make a capacitor large enough in value (150uf) for the midrange speaker on the 90ed speakers which is Vishay MKT1820 polyester capacitor. This cap is very pleasant to hear. I changed the factory resistors with metal film and didnt notice any different in sound.

If you do these minor mods, your SS-K90ed will sound better and give you big smiles!... But I have other mods that can make them sound even better!
MagMan and cyberized39 like this.

Last edited by SeventhHeaven; 04-16-2017 at 01:59 AM. Reason: clarification
post #23 of 41 Old 09-01-2016, 09:59 PM

Good news for all of you Sony SS-k90ed owners!

I have taken much time and effort and money into the modification of these fine speakers.
I have mapped out the crossover traces and have finally been able to fully draw out the schematic for the passive crossovers in these speakers!

This is a great thing because we can now modify these crossovers to our own liking!

Here is the ORIGINAL schematic I have mapped out.

Explanation of the diagram :

The 2 7 inch woofers are both 16 ohms each. They are connect to each other in parallel which yields an 8 ohm load. The filter on these 2 speakers is rather lacking. Its just a 6db filter using a 2.2mh coil. The frequency cutoff is a very high 575hz. In my opinion too high for these bass drivers. We shall replace this circuit soon.

The midrange speaker is 8 ohms and has a 6db bandpass filter which consists of a 1mh coil and a 150uf capacitor. This yields a passband of 140 to 1250hz. The capacitor in this circuit is electrolytic and is fairly crappy. It should be replaced.
The 6db 150uf capacitor that Sony uses, allows way too much bass to pass through to the midrange driver. You can easily hear and see this for yourself by simple connecting the speaker terminals of just the upper pair of speaker ( mid and tweeter ) to your amplifier. Play some bass heavy music and you will see the midrange moving way too much. In fact you can even hear some deep bass playing through the midrange. This midrange circuit offers very little filtering to the midrange. In my opinion the circuit should be recalculated to remove more bass from this speaker.

Next, you can see that Sony has incorporated a zobel impedance compensation circuit on the midrange. The capacitor is a 10uf poly cap with a 5.3ohm resister. I did an A/B comparison with and without this circuit. It does next to nothing as for sound. It may do some good with the way the amp handles the speakers impedance but who really cares? We are all for the sound.
I highly suggest you take this circuit out completely. In its place I will be placing a coil which will be in the next picture. This coil will be for making a 12db highpass slope on that bandpass filter which will remove allot more bass from the midrange speaker.

The tweeter circuit is fairly simple.
Its a 18db slope with a simple 8.2ohm resistor before the crossover circuit, to attenuate the tweeters output by 5db .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	90ed original.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	2086585  

Last edited by SeventhHeaven; 04-16-2017 at 02:26 AM.
post #24 of 41 Old 09-01-2016, 10:28 PM

This is the modified schematic of my SS-K90ed crossovers
I will be making other mods in the future.

I removed the zobel network and placed a 12mh inductor in its place with a 94uf capacitor to create a 12db high pass slope for the midrange speaker. This yields a 145hz cutoff. The bass is almost all gone from the midrange yet keeps the midbass intact. This is good because we dont want bass coming out of your midrange speakers. We have the same passband as the original but at a much better slope where its needed!

I didnt touch the tweeter circuit.

I removed the coil on the bass drivers completely and now they are directly connected to subwoofer amplifier where I can control the frequencies and volume separate from the midrange section. I can go all the way up to 120hz using a steep 24db slope on my sub amp and the two 7 inch bass drivers really put out some nice accurate deep bass. Its staggering the amount of bass that these 2 will push out. That coil which I removed was not a very good choice for these 2 drivers. They now have a nice quick kick and very good bottom end all the way down to 30hz and begins to tapper off due to the port tune. If you modified the port to a larger one like I mentioned before, you will really appreciate the bass coming out of these. My sub amp has a variable subsonic filter which I was using allot before the port mod. Now, I dont need it. They sound fantastic and will play 25 HZ notes with little to no chuffing at moderate volume

These mods I have done greatly increased sound quality. Also consider that I have changed all the caps to different types and brands of my own liking. I have actually done a very extensive comparison down to different capacitors and resistors! I like what I hear and its now having a good 3d effect and can start to notice the sound coming from around and beyond the physical position of the speakers!

I must say that what I have now, at present sounds very good.

I have had these connected to a very nice, very sought after Harman Kardon HK990 and an HK3490. I honestly must admit I like the HK3490 better but that is another topic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	90ed mod 1.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	2086593  

Last edited by SeventhHeaven; 04-16-2017 at 02:47 AM. Reason: updated schematic
post #25 of 41 Old 01-05-2017, 12:07 AM

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 128
This was one of the very few threads I managed to find on here for these speakers, not surprising I suppose given the very limited numbers these seem to have been sold in.

I absolutely love the K series speakers, and was fortunate enough to have been working for Sony back when these were brought in and then quickly discontinued. I managed to get my hands on two SSK90's, three SSK70's and two SSCNK10's. (And I picked up two SAWX900's at the same time, also discontinued, also incredible.)

I use these in a 7.1.4 home theatre setup (With one CNK10 and one SSK70 standing by as spares in case I ever need to harvest parts from them, as I'm sure the parts would be impossible to locate.)

The FINAL pieces to my setup, which I have been after for some time, would be two of the SSK10ED's (In black wood finish, not the piano black.) Right now I'm using two SSMB150H's for the surround back channels, but would love to have the matched K series speakers. Figured I'd chime in here in case anyone ever stumbles upon this thread looking to sell a couple of the K10's. Can't hurt to ask!

Sony XBR65X930E | Yamaha RXA3060 | AudioSource AMP100VS | Oppo UDP203 | NVidia Shield | Sony SSK90ED/70ED/CNK10ED *** Looking for 2 x K10ED's!! ***| KEF Ci160ER's (4) | Sony SAWX900's (2) | SVS PC12 Plus | Monster AVS2000SS & HTPS7000SS |
post #26 of 41 Old 08-06-2017, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Just picked up a pair from CL, largely due to a few good if not really good reviews I found online. After hooking them up (in my secondary system) to a Sony ES receiver of about 80 wpc, my initial impression is they sound like crap....

Annoyingly or at least over bright, anemic bass and the midrange nothing to write home about...

I am going to hook them up to my main system and see if they sound any better with more power, but I think I will be selling these, hopefully I can get the $250 I paid for them back...

I would try the port mod, but that won't fix the other issues. The Athena S2's(bookshelf) I was trying to upgrade from have WAY more bass, with 1 6 inch driver, not 3...

Anyone have any thoughts on something I could be missing? (don't know what that could be)

Home Theater: Marantz AV7703 Prepro, B&K Reference 200.2 SII running Mirage M-3SIs, Harman Kardon signature 2.1 running Mirage M-CSI (center) & 4x BIC V-52 (surrounds),
Samson S1000 (545 watts x2) running 2 SVS CS-Ultra subs, PS3, PS4, XBOX 1, 2x Adcom ACE-515, Sony HW45ES projector w/ 125" screen or Vizio 70"

SYS 2: Quicksilver Linestage Preamp, Proceed BPA2 amp, Tekton Lore-S spks.

Last edited by brad1138; 08-07-2017 at 07:48 PM.
post #27 of 41 Old 09-14-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1138 View Post
Just picked up a pair from CL, largely due to a few good if not really good reviews I found online. After hooking them up (in my secondary system) to a Sony ES receiver of about 80 wpc, my initial impression is they sound like crap....

Annoyingly or at least over bright, anemic bass and the midrange nothing to write home about...

I am going to hook them up to my main system and see if they sound any better with more power, but I think I will be selling these, hopefully I can get the $250 I paid for them back...

I would try the port mod, but that won't fix the other issues. The Athena S2's(bookshelf) I was trying to upgrade from have WAY more bass, with 1 6 inch driver, not 3...

Anyone have any thoughts on something I could be missing? (don't know what that could be)

These SS-K90ed speakers are not going to put out much bass the way they are from factory. The ONLY way they will sound better is if you mod the crossover and do the port mod. Then biamp, putting a separate bass amp dedicated to the lower drivers and set it to around 50hz.

At this time, I managed to modify mine heavily!

The 2 lower woofers are 100% passive. No crossover connected to them. They are directly these connected to the subwoofer amp and they are being fed only sub duty from the AVR.. The upper drivers ( mid and tweeters ) are the main speakers in my sound system ( I have a 2.1ch setup ) where they are crossoved over at 50hz highpass SO basically, the 2 top speakers are like bookshelf speakers and the 2 bottom speakers are subwoofers. They are in a complete separet chamber.

This setup is super great setup because basically you have 4 subwoofers already in the enclosure with the main speakers! Similar to the Definitive Technology Towers.

Sounds great! Way better than the usual factory unmodified.. Its a hobyy and I do not epxect people to do what I did to mine. If I ever sell these it wouldnt be cheap. Basically they are similar to a Definitive Technology Tower.

To be basic and make a response , remove the foam from the cabinets. Trust me, there is way too much inside. Take it all out. Then, widen the port. This right here will increase the SQ but to be honest , there is only so much you can do with these. The passive crossover is not exactly tuned for bass. You could Biamp the speakers and connect a seperate amp to just the woofers and send them just sub frequencies. but then youd get allot of port noise..
post #28 of 41 Old 02-22-2019, 05:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I just received a pair of K30ED and love them to pieces. I'm going to buy a pair of K90ED from a local seller who is currently out of town. To round out the 5.1 I would like to get another pair of K30ED bookshelfs and use 2 of them together as a center channel instead of the CNK with smaller drivers.

Using a Rotel RMB-1095 to power them. Insane full range response.
post #29 of 41 Old 03-02-2019, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My take on the SS-K90's

I was looking for some info on the crossovers of the SS-K90's when I found this thread today. I hope SeventhHeaven is still around because he's provided some very interesting info on these speakers. I bought a pair of these speakers and like them very much but they do have shortcomings. Right now they're being driven by my Sony STR-DA4ES receiver. When I first played them I was disappointed with the bass. I had read that using a stronger amp on the woofers improved the bass, which it did but not by a lot. I did find those foam pieces in the woofer section and took them out too. that let the woofers play nicely lower. I did hear a lot of mids through the woofers and bass through the mid-ranges so I can agree with SeventhHeaven's assessment on the factory crossovers. I'm going to try lowering the crossover point of the woofers and raising the mids and see what I get. I did notice that the bass improved when I cranked them up for a while so maybe the woofers needed to be "loosened up" a bit.
I'll put in those bigger ports as well.

Last edited by MagMan; 03-02-2019 at 06:20 PM.
post #30 of 41 Old 04-22-2019, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
SS-K90 X-O

The foam blocks from the woofer chamber.

Still working on the X-O mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page